PRP data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nonphysiologic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does any one have the primary sources where it was determined to properly do PRP you need to draw 60cc of blood and have at least 5cc at 1000 platelet count as well as where it was determined at least 3x is the absolute minimum for something to be considered PRP.

60cc seems like a lot to me.

The reason I want to see the source literature is also because I want to see whats the minimum effective dose and how much of a difference in platelet count does it make therapeutically.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
60 will give you about 7 of useable PRP. What are you injecting? Major joints will be fine with a 30 kit. Same with intradiscal or lysate. If you are doing bilateral something, that might be different

How were these protocols developed though? Is there any original research I can read up on? For example why does 3-5X concentration and / or 1,000 platelets per 5mL or why does 5ml in large joint as opposed to 2?

I know these are simple questions but I just want to know where exactly these protocols are coming from

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
There are no studies that show better outcomes based on platelet count or compared to whole blood for that matter.

there is no one standardized dose of PRP that i have seen in the studies drusso has posted.

that is one aspect that would help research in to PRP...

Reactions: 1 user
I have not heard of the protocol you mentioned. There is no good data on what platelet counts lead to better results or for what. There is some research that suggests that higher concentrations are better for ligaments and lower concentrations are fine for joints. Read the other thread about "Adding regenerative medicine to your practice", there's tons of articles and resources in that thread.