PSYCHOLOGY INTERNSHIP APPIC PHASE 11(2015)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just certified my rank order list! Wishing the best for everyone involved. Even if it's not good news, I am just ready to know so I can proceed with life!

I see that Match day is "10 am eastern"... I presume that's the earliest we'll hear about match results?

We can hear earlier. That's more the deadline of when we would hear by. People were hearing as early as 7 during phase i

Members don't see this ad.

Just certified my rank order list! Wishing the best for everyone involved. Even if it's not good news, I am just ready to know so I can proceed with life!

x2. Just want to move forward. Hoping for good news though. Good luck everyone. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Goal for the week: take deep breaths and focus on what I can control right now (dissertation, externship, school assignments). Regardless of what happens (though I pray I match :) ) I don't want to waste this week. Ever since February 27, my life has been about Phase II (applying, preparing for interviews, interviewing). I don't want to spend another week on this horrible process and am hoping I can refocus my attention on important tasks. Any advice? How are ya'll getting through this week?

Goal for the week: take deep breaths and focus on what I can control right now (dissertation, externship, school assignments). Regardless of what happens (though I pray I match :) ) I don't want to waste this week. Ever since February 27, my life has been about Phase II (applying, preparing for interviews, interviewing). I don't want to spend another week on this horrible process and am hoping I can refocus my attention on important tasks. Any advice? How are ya'll getting through this week?

I have been neglecting my other obligations since Phase II began, and I am looking forward to catching up on projects and my other responsibilities. I am also eager to have more time to focus on self-care, and at this point, I am just relieved that this part is over, for now. At least we only have to wait a week for the match results this time. Best of luck everyone! I feel like I've grown stronger through this process, and no matter what happens next Monday, I can rest easy knowing that I've done everything possible to ensure a good match. It is completely out my hands now, and I guess that helps me refocus my energy back on other things. I really appreciate the support and validation that this forum provides! I would have been in much worse shape without all of you!

Some days I think, "Sure, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...but it also ALMOST KILLS YOU." Other days I think, "Well, the worst thing that could happen did happen, and I'm still doing really well." In case it helps anyone on here, the NYT printed an article a few days ago entitled "How to Survive the College Admissions Madness" about the nature of rejection, and I found it oddly comforting. OK, time to stop avoiding dissertating...GOOD LUCK to those of you participating in Phase II today!

When I read the NYT article I also thought of those damaged in the Match process. It does make the excellent point that getting through such a process is an ordeal AND the outcomes down the road do not follow directly from the consequences of this crazy process. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/15/o...vive-the-college-admissions-madness.html?_r=0

Hang in there.

Good luck to everyone waiting for Phase II results on Monday. I hope you all get good news!

Reactions: 4 users
Also wish you all the best for Monday!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck to everyone!!!

This was a really challenging week for me as a clinician, hopefully it will be capped with good news Monday!!!!!

I feel like this week has gone by surprisingly quickly. I am feeling some dread and fear about Monday :nailbiting:

I have some friends who are in med school and one posted a video of what match day is like at their school. It seems like (at least at this particular school) they get everyone together in an auditorium and they all open letters letting them know if/where they matched together. I feel like that would be pretty stressful and am very glad we have the luxuriously of being able to be wherever/with whomever when we open our emails!

Best of luck to everyone :luck:

I feel like this week has gone by surprisingly quickly. I am feeling some dread and fear about Monday :nailbiting:

I have some friends who are in med school and one posted a video of what match day is like at their school. It seems like (at least at this particular school) they get everyone together in an auditorium and they all open letters letting them know if/where they matched together. I feel like that would be pretty stressful and am very glad we have the luxuriously of being able to be wherever/with whomever when we open our emails!

Match (medical) students received an emailing saying if they matched/didn't match a few days before! I wish we had that! I'm a nervous wreck...so happy that Phase II was so "short" though. I'm planning on drinking a lot of wine tomorrow night so that i can fall asleep. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Match (medical) students received an emailing saying if they matched/didn't match a few days before! I wish we had that! I'm a nervous wreck...so happy that Phase II was so "short" though. I'm planning on drinking a lot of wine tomorrow night so that i can fall asleep. Good luck everyone!

Ahh that explains a lot!! I was thinking that would be super harsh for people who don't match.. I still don't know if I'd want to be around everyone when I opened my letter, but maybe because the circumstances around internship/residency differ so much (I.e, there are actually enough residency spots) that the whole general vibe around match day is different.

I was "jealous" of my friend's little party/celebration, lol. Her school had shirts for them and it seemed like a lot of fun, haha. My school didn't plan anything for us; we planned our own celebration.

Members don't see this ad :)
...hope the wine is not b/c of fear of tomorrow but more like an anticipatory joy kind of thing... - don't turn to the bottle out of a depressed feeling :thumbup:

This week has totally flown by for me for other reasons and im glad ( :pacifier: ). I think the anxiety would have driven me nuts. Hopefully tomorrow will bring good news. I want to have some celebratory wine now that I can actually do that too!

Good luck tomorrow everyone! Sending positive thoughts and vibes your way!

Good luck to us all tomorrow morning! I want to send a huge thank you to all of you Phase II'ers and our other wonderful peers on this forum who provided us with kind words of encouragement and advice throughout this hectic process.

And now I'm off to have a movie marathon and pass the time with family and friends. I feel like these last 15 hours are making me increasingly inpatient and unable to focus on work.

Good luck tomorrow, from a past phase two survivor! You will get past this, be it tomorrow or next year or beyond... it gets better. :). Once you hit postdoc, the pain of the internship process will be a distant memory!

Good luck tomorrow, from a past phase two survivor! You will get past this, be it tomorrow or next year or beyond... it gets better. :). Once you hit postdoc, the pain of the internship process will be a distant memory!
Thank you. i hope it is a distant memory ...I am ready to put this behind me!

Yes good luck to all of us! T minus 10-ish hrs!

Good luck today everyone! I guess we should start hearing soon...

Good luck to everyone going through Match today! Phase II can be disheartening, but it'll bring good news for some. Even if that email today doesn't have the results you were hoping for, Phase II is a great way to critically analyze your application, practice interview skills, and be ahead of the game for next year (that's what it was for me).

I will be going on internship after all this year!!! I feel pretty freaking lucky! Sending everyone ultra positive vibes :luck::cat:

Reactions: 6 users
No luck.

Feel really disappointed and angry.

Totally sucks

Good luck to everyone else and congrats to those who match

Last edited:
I matched to a site that is an excellent fit for my future career goals. I took a lot of gambles this year and I feel so incredibly lucky that it paid off (and I'll actually be able to graduate!). I hope more people get good news.

No luck.

Totally sucks

I'm really sorry. I wish I could say something hopeful and inspiring about not giving up, but I get that this process sucks and sometimes there's no other way around it. I hope there are some good options out there for you and all the others who do not match when 11 rolls around.

Matched. Relieved and feeling mixed emotions. I'm still so angry but hopefully i can move on and forget about this. To those who didn't match i'm so sorry, and hopefully your next year will be rewarding and you will find joy in your next year plans.

Reactions: 7 users
No luck.

Totally sucks

Good luck to everyone else and congrats to those who match

I didn't match either :( Very disappointed and feel a bit anxious about how this will be this next time. Sorry for all of us who have to go through this crappy process again. Disappointing that I won't be progressing with my cohort. Also stressful to figure out financial issues with this additional year that I hadn't full expected. It has helped for me to try to reframe this as a bonus year to finish my dissertation, manuscripts, though.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't match either :( Very disappointed and feel a bit anxious about how this will be this next time. Sorry for all of us who have to go through this crappy process again. Disappointing that I won't be progressing with my cohort. Also stressful to figure out financial issues with this additional year that I hadn't full expected. It has helped for me to try to reframe this as a bonus year to finish my dissertation, manuscripts, though.
Keep in mind that every year there are positions, including APA accredited positions, that appear in the post-vacancy match list between now and October. It is worth plowing ahead on the dissertation, looking for clinically relevant paid work, and staying open to those options. This process grinds up people every year and is very broken...but those who have been in your positions before are now on their internships or beyond and you will too. Take some time to recuperate and then trudge on; you will get there..

Matched to my first choice! Oddly enough the program I matched to was in my top 3 prior to interview notifications in Phase I. They did not offer me an interview at that time. In Phase II I received the interview and got matched to the site. Needless to say, I am very happy with the outcome although it all feels a bit unreal after this past month.

To all who matched today, congratulations. To those who did not, my heart truly goes out to you: Today will be a very hard day, take some time for yourselves and do whatever you feel is restorative. Remember that it is the process that has failed, not you. Internships (and the match process) do not define who we are as psychologists and why we chose this career path. As invalidated and disenchanted as this process made me feel, I have learned by meeting other candidates (and my future colleagues) on this internship journey that the future of psychology could not look brighter!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who matched!

To those who didn't match, sending you healing thoughts and good wishes. I didn't match my first time around, in either phase I or II, and that was devastating. There's not much that makes it better. However, my second attempt when enormously better and I'm currently finishing internship at an amazing site and getting ready to go to top-notch postdoc in a few months. All that to say, there's hope! This is a horrible process but you will one day get through it.

I also didn't match today, and it was tough to be at my practicum site... but after choking down my tears and emotional pain, I found that it was nice to be able to feel like I helped some people today. I saw 3 clients, each of whom had recently experienced a significant loss, and it helped me to put things into perspective. I feel so exhausted and emotionally drained, and I wish I could escape to somewhere tropical for a few days, but that's not really an option right now. I'm just trying to stay optimistic and will continue to do my best to find a suitable match.

Reactions: 6 users
I was surprisingly able to get a better nights sleep last night than I have in quite some time.

I feel somewhat relieved I can move forward. Although an internship would have been ideal, I can finish my dissertation and possibly do research/teach.

I did have a quick question for those that had to wait another year to apply.

Did you apply to the same sites you interviewed at the previous year? Were you able to get interviews/match there. I feel like sites I interviewed at this year (which I really liked) might not consider me next go around

I did not match in Phase II last year, and as I was deciding whether or not to participate in the post match vacancy phase, I wished I had some information as to what to expect regarding APA accredited spots. I heard a lot that "lots of APA spots open up later on," but did not know what that meant. So, last year I kept track of all the APA accredited spots that opened up, and when they were listed on the service. Obviously every year will be different, but I am posting this in the hopes that it may give those of you deciding what to do next a general idea of what occurred last year. Congrats to those who matched and good luck to those figuring out your next plan.

Phase II Match Day March 24

Post Match Vacancies 2014

APA accredited –

Pacific University Pacific Clinics – 4/3/14 – 1 spot

Nebraska consortium4/22/14 – 5 spots

Bowling Green State University 5/27/14 – 1 spot

Federal Medical Center – Carswell – 6/6/14, 3 spots

Bureau of Prisons – Federal Medical Center, Lexington KY – 6/6/14, 1 spot

Federal Correction Institute – Tallahassee FL, 6/6/14, 1 spot

Federal Corrrections, Terminal Island CA, 6/10/14, 1 spot

University of Delaware’s Center for Counseling and Student Development, 6/20/14 – 1 spot

Children’s Hospital of Orange County, 6/21/14, 1 spot

Carson Center For Adults and Families, 6/22/14, 1 spot

Oregon Health & Science University – 2 spots, 6/25/14

Denver Health Medical Center – 2 spots, 7/2/14

The Village for Families and Health – 2 spots, 7/2/14

UC Davis CAARE Center – 2 spot – 7/17/14

June 26, 2014 – last post of an SDNer that they accepted a post match vacancy position.

I was surprisingly able to get a better nights sleep last night than I have in quite some time.

I feel somewhat relieved I can move forward. Although an internship would have been ideal, I can finish my dissertation and possibly do research/teach.

Did you apply to the same sites you interviewed at the previous year? Were you able to get interviews/match there. I feel like sites I interviewed at this year (which I really liked) might not consider me next go around

I applied to a mix of same and new sites, and actually got a few interviews at places that didn't even interview me the first time around. However, I didn't get any of the same interviews that I got the first time. It was sad, but also it made me think that maybe there weren't as good a fit as I had thought.

I also applied to a mixture, but would estimate that probably 60% of my sites were repeat applications. I got 13 interviews this year as opposed to 3 last year. Six of the interviews (including the site to which I matched) this year were from sites I was rejected from without an interview last year. One was a place I interviewed at in Phase II. Interestingly, the 2 sites I re-applied to that I interviewed at last year chose not to interview me this year.

I applied to five sites that interviewed me the first time I applied and three of them interviewed me. The ones who interviewed me again were really nice and remembered me from the previous time I applied and seemed exited that I was still interested. I ended up ranking those sites lower than the one I matched at, so I do not know if I would have matched to one of them if I ranked them higher. I have a friend who is completing her internship this year at a site she applied to two years in a row, ranked as #1 both times and ended up matching there, so it does happen :)

This was a year ago for me, as I'm now completing my internship, but I reapplied to several sites that I had liked during Phases I and II my first time around (in addition to some new ones). I got interviews at several that hadn't interviewed me the first time, and was re-interviewed by several more. The sites that interviewed me for a second time, much like psychrat's experience, were generally very kind and very happy that I was still interested. In the end, I wound up matching at a "new" site that I had ranked higher than the sites I interviewed with twice, so I can't say whether or not I could have matched there. However, I should also add that I now have a postdoc lined up at a site that I applied to for intenship both years, and that did not interview me either time. That said, I am a firm believer in reapplying to sites you like :)

I completely understand that you might be ready to be done with this process for now, but I wanted to encourage you (and others) to remain hopeful for the coming year...

Out of the 3 sites that I've applied to since Monday, I have already heard back from all 3 with phone or Skype interview invites (that's way better than my 4/14 and 5/12 for Phases 1 & 2), AND I was offered a position this morning! After not matching in either phase, it feels so validating to finally hear such good news!

I haven't done the other 2 interviews yet, and thankfully my potential future TD is allowing me some time to think about my decision. I'm sure that many sites will not be that flexible, and some might want an answer on the spot, but it's quite nice to have more of a say in my final outcome at this stage (as opposed to just "matching" somewhere and being obligated to attend that particular program). The offer I received is in a place that is completely the opposite of where I thought I'd be geographically, but I guess at this point it naturally makes more sense to be open to different options that I hadn't really considered in earlier phases. Being less geographically constrained definitely seems to have made a difference in my case.

So basically, I'm saying don't give up hope! Next year is always an option, but I'd encourage people to keep checking the list of available sites, and it really can't hurt to submit applications at this point if you can find the time. There's also no rush to find something immediately, as it seems like positions will continue to become available throughout the summer. :)

Out of the 3 sites that I've applied to since Monday, I have already heard back from all 3 with phone or Skype interview invites (that's way better than my 4/14 and 5/12 for Phases 1 & 2), AND I was offered a position this morning! After not matching in either phase, it feels so validating to finally hear such good news!

I haven't done the other 2 interviews yet, and thankfully my potential future TD is allowing me some time to think about my decision. I'm sure that many sites will not be that flexible, and some might want an answer on the spot, but it's quite nice to have more of a say in my final outcome at this stage (as opposed to just "matching" somewhere and being obligated to attend that particular program). The offer I received is in a place that is completely the opposite of where I thought I'd be geographically, but I guess at this point it naturally makes more sense to be open to different options that I hadn't really considered in earlier phases. Being less geographically constrained definitely seems to have made a difference in my case.

Congrats on the offer! I think you are right to stay positive. Doing that and not giving up through this process can be what makes a difference in finding something and letting potential opportunities go. Yes, not everyone will find a spot, but it's not over until the fat lady sings!

And I agree about the geography but. I tried to stay close to home to avoid moving long distance again but when I expanded my limit I got four times as many interviews for phase ii.

Congrats on the offer! I think you are right to stay positive. Doing that and not giving up through this process can be what makes a difference in finding something and letting potential opportunities go. Yes, not everyone will find a spot, but it's not over until the fat lady sings!

And I agree about the geography but. I tried to stay close to home to avoid moving long distance again but when I expanded my limit I got four times as many interviews for phase ii.

Thank you! My mentor shared a really great quote with me recently, and it has become my mantra: "In the end everything with be OK, so if it is not OK then it is not yet the end."

It's so hard to remain positive when there has been a seemingly endless cycle of anticipation, disappointment, high hopes, and further rejection, but I guess my way of coping has been to stay busy and be as proactive as possible. I might end up living somewhere that is not ideal, but it's only a year, and at this stage my main priorities are related to the program itself. I hope others can find some comfort knowing that it is still possible to find something at this stage, it just might require adjusting your priorities and possibly making some sacrifices.

I completely understand that you might be ready to be done with this process for now, but I wanted to encourage you (and others) to remain hopeful for the coming year...

So basically, I'm saying don't give up hope! Next year is always an option, but I'd encourage people to keep checking the list of available sites, and it really can't hurt to submit applications at this point if you can find the time. There's also no rush to find something immediately, as it seems like positions will continue to become available throughout the summer. :)

Wow that's totally awesome. Congrats

I hope my post didn't come off as too un-hopeful. I am certainly looking at all the positions that come up and will be going for APA positions that would be a good fit.

But I also will be working on my dissertation and since I'm collecting my own data, having an extra year isn't so bad.

Wow that's totally awesome. Congrats

I hope my post didn't come off as too un-hopeful. I am certainly looking at all the positions that come up and will be going for APA positions that would be a good fit.

But I also will be working on my dissertation and since I'm collecting my own data, having an extra year isn't so bad.

This process has been so difficult that at times it's been hard for me to remain hopeful. I tried to be ready for any outcome, but it was still pretty devastating to open that crushing email a few days ago. I am also collecting data for my dissertation right now, so another year wouldn't be the worst thing for me either, but it's nice to have options. I've been emotionally drained and physically exhausted, and it was tempting to throw in the towel on Monday, but now I'm really glad that I didn't give up. Based on the list of sites from last year, I'm sure there are going to be some great APA accredited sites that become available.

I'm a firm believer in making your own luck and that happens but not giving up. I hope that everyone has as good of an outcome as you did and that all the efforts will be worth it one way or another (and the reality is that we will all graduate; it's just a function of sooner rather than later--that's the carrot to focus on). Good luck to everyone still looking.

Congrats to those who matched! And *hugs* to those who didn't. I went through it last year (I believe I was that last poster to take a spot in PMVS last year). It is really rough, and the ambiguity can be so frustrating. There was definitely a small wave of sites opening up late May to late June, due to federal grants being awarded and budgets being approved. It can happen!

I will note that if you did not match, make sure you are on list-servs, etc., in your area of interest. My internship was never posted to the APPIC list and only communicated via Division 38, Division 12, and some other groups.

Hi All,
I didnt match in phase 1 or phase 2... and then I applied to 3 sites in phase 3 and somehow on Wednesday managed to get a place at an APA accredited site... it was the 71st application that I sent out. Please do not give up. If it can happen to me it can happen to you. This list serve has been so helpful, if I can help any of you in any way let me know. Thinking of all of you in phase 3 and hoping for good news for all of you. this system is crazy but there is a way out if you keep going!

hi guys does anyone know how long after an internship becomes accredited can you still be grandfathered if you completed the internship when it wasnt accredited

hi guys does anyone know how long after an internship becomes accredited can you still be grandfathered if you completed the internship when it wasnt accredited

If the APA site visit that ultimately results in accreditation does not occur when you are there, then you will have attended an unaccredited internship. Its not retroactive.