Question about ethics and teaching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a TA/instructor for several courses this semester, both in the psych department and not, and in all my trainings, we were told specifically not to the deal student's psychological/personal problems--to refer them to counseling center or, if we feel that there is immediate danger, to walk them down to the counseling center and/or the instructor's office. The (obvious) reason for this is that we aren't trained/licensed professionals. But what about in situations where the professor is, say, a licensed clinical psychologist, LPC, etc.? Obviously, it wouldn't be wise (or ethical) to take on your students as clients, but do they generally have a bit more "leeway" in dealing with these situations?

Just curious...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a TA/instructor for several courses this semester, both in the psych department and not, and in all my trainings, we were told specifically not to the deal student's psychological/personal problems--to refer them to counseling center or, if we feel that there is immediate danger, to walk them down to the counseling center and/or the instructor's office. The (obvious) reason for this is that we aren't trained/licensed professionals. But what about in situations where the professor is, say, a licensed clinical psychologist, LPC, etc.? Obviously, it wouldn't be wise (or ethical) to take on your students as clients, but do they generally have a bit more "leeway" in dealing with these situations?

Just curious...

Nope; dual relationships, both powered. Unethical and unwise.

^

That's what I figured... I wonder why it is, though, that we (the undergrad TA's) are advised to first bring troubled students to the instructor's off so they can "assess the situation" (to quote our training manuel). Maybe it's just because they would have a better idea of what constitutes a crisis and the level of approriate intervention?

Members don't see this ad :)
^

That's what I figured... I wonder why it is, though, that we (the undergrad TA's) are advised to first bring troubled students to the instructor's off so they can "assess the situation" (to quote our training manuel). Maybe it's just because they would have a better idea of what constitutes a crisis and the level of approriate intervention?

That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. The idea might be to get the student assessed by someone with more experience, but even if that's the case and is explained, I can see people misunderstanding and thinking "ok, the TA is taking me to the prof, who's a professional, and I'll talk to them about my problem." Or else the student just has to explain everything to the prof, and then explain everything a third time to the counseling center. Yeah, seems ucky to me. I'd bypass the prof entirely if possible, to keep them out of "remember when I was sad because I broke up with my spousoid and talked to you about it? Well, I need a mulligan for the test that week" situations.

I would think the ruling is for everyone's benefit. It keeps the TA from becoming bogged down or in over their head. Not even someone who is qualified to counsel should do so in such a setting though. It would be great if it were a basically simple issue, but there aren't any of those around imo.

As for taking them to the prof, that's sound good to me. There is basic advising allowed generally, such as any professor would with any student at any college.