About the ads

Radiology 2012 applicants

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by 2012mdc, Aug 3, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Cooolguy

Cooolguy Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    im a carib img, i feel as though i know at least 20 people personally from my school applying this year...

Anyone know if apps are up or down this year? I hear they are down at cleveland clinic, but the caliber of applicants is higher, anyone hear anything from other places/
  2. EightyDeuce

EightyDeuce

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good to know there's more of us! I have 1 invite so far and 1 TY, hoping to hear from a few more. Waiting sucks, especially when my classmates applying to OB, Peds and IM all have 5-6 IVs already...
  3. PhysicsIsBest

PhysicsIsBest

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I was in the same boat until UMich came in today. Big lift with that one, for sure. I was a little worried after not hearing from New Mexico earlier this week, but there must not be any major flags if UM was willing to offer in their first batch (or at least, in the first batch that made it to AM/SDN). I wouldn't be too surprised to wait a couple weeks for another rads IV, though. 5 of my programs haven't even downloaded my app yet.
  4. Radiculous

Radiculous

SDN 2+ Year Member
    There are people on SDN who posted in previous threads and who I know in real life who got a ton of interviews at cali/nyc/boston programs, hopkins, duke, MIR, etc... but for some reason Mayo, Michigan, CCF are more regionally selective. Know someone who matched UCSF and got all the top interviews but struck out completely in the midwest (CCF, Mayo, Michigan, Northwestern, Chicago) with the exception of MIR. Other examples can be found in the Radiology 2011 applicants SDN thread. If you look at the UM class profile like 3/4 come from Michigan or Wayne State and many have ties. Thus, I think there may be an element of programs feeling like you might not come there if you're from a top med school on the east or west coast and have the raw numbers/ application elements or otherwise a top applicant with no direct ties. Dr. TLM on AuntMinnie has alluded to this before though I cannot confirm if it is a major factor, but it seems the only potential explanation for why some applicants get some of the most competitive interviews but then are denied in Cleveland, Rochester, +/- Ann Arbor other than iterative randomness.

I would be interested in Michigan for personal reasons though I have no direct ties, which makes this unfortunate in my case, regardless of all my rationalization.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  5. 2012mdc

2012mdc Enjoying the Dark Side

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Both my parents went to Michigan at some point in their schooling and I still have some fam in Detroit. Is this something that should be mentioned to the PC? If so when should I send this email?
  6. Radiculous

Radiculous

SDN 2+ Year Member
    From the couple of threads I looked at, they said it could help but only if it was truly on your "short list" and you waited -- sending such an e-mail as early as September would probably be perceived as overly neurotic, rightly so. The other issue that was raised is that you're putting in writing that Michigan / whatever is on your short list, which you don't want to do if you're actually interested in Cali or whatever (people talk). The person in the 2011 SDN thread decided against it (RisingSun I think, you can google it)
  7. jahbrony

jahbrony

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  8. Radiculous

Radiculous

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Unless the four people I've talked to directly or corresponded with via e-mail or PM have just happened to get rejected at Mayo/Michigan +/- CCF and a few others but amazingly got 90%+ of the top East and West coast interviews, there is definitely tremendous midwest regional bias, at least against applicants who they think won't end up there. Maybe I'm rationalizing, but there appears to be a clear pattern.
  9. jahbrony

jahbrony

SDN 2+ Year Member
  10. Radiculous

Radiculous

SDN 2+ Year Member
  11. jahbrony

jahbrony

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  12. PokerDoc

PokerDoc

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So this was kinda weird.. I went into my student records office this morning to you know, give a friendly check up on things. Nothing's been uploaded yet, and I asked her if she was overwhelmed and needed help, I'd gladly start by uploading all my stuff. I said it totally jokingly and smiling and she laughed and said no no, it's always this bad but everyone's would be up hopefully by the end of next week.

I just went on ERAS to check something... all my letters and my transcript are uploaded... wow. lol.
  13. 2012mdc

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't think you're rationalizing. Dr. TLM admitted as much on AM.

If I was the PD of a midwest program I would be wary of top coastal applicants as well. It's logical for them to assume that someone born and raised in Cali and going to UCSF for med school who is 270/AOA/multiple pubs really isn't interested in moving to the Midwest.
  14. Radiculous

Radiculous

SDN 2+ Year Member
    There's too many factors to really know. Regional bias? Maybe. Person reading app just happened to not like a certain aspect of application? Maybe. Looking for a different type of applicant than you? Maybe. Just gotta move on.
  15. jahbrony

jahbrony

SDN 2+ Year Member
  16. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Responsible?!?! PGY3 Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Wondering that too and I'll speculate a little bit here. I think fewer people would post when they got their invite if the school had already been added to the AM list since most are concerned only about when the first invites go out.

OTOH, I've heard through the grapevine that UT-K was full until January so that might have been the overwhelming majority of their invites.
  17. 2012mdc

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The thread from last year shows that there are many programs who have multiple waves of invites including programs like Michigan and UVA who have started to give out invites
  18. Radiculous

Radiculous

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I got UVA, as did someone on AuntMinnie. There are multiple waves.
  19. 2012mdc

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    There better be haha. Otherwise I'm on pace to go 0 for 45 on interviews. 0 for 3 so far :cool::oops::xf:
  20. PokerDoc

PokerDoc

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I promised myself I wouldn't worry about interviews until a week or so after my dean's letter goes out.. This thread isn't making that easy ahha.
  21. Radiculous

Radiculous

SDN 2+ Year Member
    It's going to be fine. Let me repeat: It's going to be fine. I think it takes getting that first interview to make you realize that there is no horrendous red flag on your application and things will work out, since I went from very anxious to completely calm. There are tremendous factors out of our control: regional bias, readers who may spend <5 min skimming our application and have their own personal biases or agendas, the order in which our applications are read off the stack, god knows what else. But based on the information everyone has provided there is literally no reason that any of us will not receive several interviews, probably more than we can afford to schedule and attend. It's kind of a drought for the next few weeks based on whatever 2012mdc posted but in early October it's going to pick up fast, then the floodgates in November.

:luck::luck::luck: to all
  22. 2012mdc

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I keep telling myself that but I won't truly believe it until I get that first invite
  23. Illusive Man

Illusive Man

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yeah I thought I had all my bases covered: strong USMLE scores, clinical honors, research with pubs and LORs but still no interviews:( Having one rads interview would give me a confidence boost.
  24. badasshairday

badasshairday Account on Hold

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Congrats, I would love a UVA interview! They have a baller IR program out there... doing amazing things. :thumbup:
  25. FrickenhugeMD

FrickenhugeMD

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Finally, a SDN thread that makes me feel good.... step score >30 less than most of you and I have 2 interviews :D.

And before you get any ideas I am a white middle class male
  26. DrBowtie

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Nice! Where at?
  27. FrickenhugeMD

FrickenhugeMD

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    one listed on AM and one not ;)
  28. DrBowtie

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    PM me if you're willing to share.
  29. FrickenhugeMD

FrickenhugeMD

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    sent
  30. 2012mdc

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Same here plz.
  31. PokerDoc

PokerDoc

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Got my first interview :) Trying to figure out when to schedule it! Does anyone know if it matters "when" the interview is. I can go Nov, Dec, or Jan. If i go in nov i have to leave my audition rotation which won't be good I think. I think I'd rather chose soonest available in Dec, unless theres some advantage to interviewing late.
  32. jahbrony

jahbrony

SDN 2+ Year Member
    congrats!

so, inquiring minds want to know, where? :D
    (pm also if you dont want to post publicly)
  33. DrBowtie

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Got an interview on a Sunday? Wow! Congrats.
  34. radiologyguy

radiologyguy

Medical Student
    why arent people posting where they got an interview?? I will gladly say, I have had one interview offer, and it was from New Mexico. Please post where you were offered too!
  35. RisingSun

RisingSun Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Guys, I remember this time last year. Seemed like everyone was getting interviews and I wasn't. Trust me, it is still VERY early. Most places offer IVs in waves. People cancel interviews, etc, throughout the season. You all will have more interviews than you can schedule, too. There are some serious ballers posting on this site this year, totally blow my stats out of the water. You all will do really well, trust me.

This is a really exciting time for you all. Try not to stress out too much.:thumbup:
  36. PokerDoc

PokerDoc

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've shared with a few who messaged me. I just wish to keep things private for the most part because my real identity (spider-man) is known to a few on this site. Congrats on your interview!
  37. DrBowtie

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Good day. Finally got my first rads interviews. :D
  38. 2012mdc

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Congrats man. I know the wait is tough (still waiting).

From programs listed on the AM thread?
  39. teal27

teal27

MD/PhD Student
    This waiting is making me nervous, do you think we can still add programs or at least TYs?
  40. 2012mdc

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You can. September is still early enough where it won't come off to programs that you are using them as a backup plan
  41. DrBowtie

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Good. Didn't want to give MIR the wrong impression ;)
  42. 2012mdc

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ha. MIR is already on my list but I really might add some more programs if I don't hear from anyone soon
  43. xx216xx

xx216xx Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I just added more TYs since a program I applied to in my state is handing out interviews and I haven't heard a thing from them....I'm starting to wonder if not having my ck score or not even taking it til mid november are going to hinder me?
  44. Bowser Koopa

Bowser Koopa

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    lol oh man,...and now all the anxious rad hopefuls who read this will follow suit....including myself. :smack:
  45. xx216xx

xx216xx Member

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I'm only worried about TYs right now. I'm maxed out with rads apps I think but only had 13 TYs and most are apparently really competitive, so I added 4 more after debating it for a couple of days now. Not gonna freak out just yet, that'll come mid november I'm sure.
  46. PokerDoc

PokerDoc

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I ended up doing the prelim medicine year instead of transitional year.. I'm regretting that now! but no way I'm going back and doing TY instead now.
  47. 2012mdc

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I applied to both. 13 TY and 9 I'M. TY's that were cush and/or in good locations and prelim IMs in my region and close to home as backups

I expect to get a couple TY IVs at the most so I want to go on at least 3 or 4 prelim meds.
  48. PokerDoc

PokerDoc

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I am uneducated about the TYs, and as a result decided to just hold off on them instead of applying blindly to areas that we're cush. I also hate certain 3rd year core rotations and didn't want anything to do with said subjects ever again, so I knew at least with medicine I'd be safe from their evilness.

I also applied to every program within driving distance from home simply because if I can pocket my intern salary I might be able to pull off a down payment on a small home for residency (perhaps with some parental assistance), which is always something I wanted to do because the thought of paying rent for 4 years instead of an equally priced mortgage is revolting to me.
  49. 2012mdc

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I feel you on that. All of the TY's I did have 1 or 0 months of surgery and no ob. The main advantage is less ward months and more elective time. I stayed away from ones like Hawaii that require 3 months of surgery.
  50. rem6775

rem6775

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You guys are so paranoid; it's still early. I only applied to 9 TYs, the three I am most interested in being either associated with my school or nearby. Maybe I should do some prelims, but $85 seems like such a waste.