RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dear Allergies,

I would really appreciate it if you would stop making the roof of my mouth, back of my throat, and inside my ears itch. It is truly annoying and I think you are taking advantage of the fact that I don't take allergy meds (my body stops responding to them after day two).
Honestly you haven't been this vengeful these last couple of years. It makes me concerned that you are bitter and seeking revenge for something. Is it because I gardened? Or perhaps that time I sat in the grass with my dog? Maybe just me going outside makes you mad?

Concerned,
wld

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Allergies,

I would really appreciate it if you would stop making the roof of my mouth, back of my throat, and inside my ears itch. It is truly annoying and I think you are taking advantage of the fact that I don't take allergy meds (my body stops responding to them after day two).
Honestly you haven't been this vengeful these last couple of years. It makes me concerned that you are bitter and seeking revenge for something. Is it because I gardened? Or perhaps that time I sat in the grass with my dog? Maybe just me going outside makes you mad?

Concerned,
wld

I am battling bad allergies as well....I can't decide if I should start taking the shots or not...ugh...

I am cat/house sitting for my parents and am bored out of my freaking mind. It's storming like crazy here, so I'm not going anywhere. They forgot to tell me their new wifi password, so the only Internet I have is on my phone, my eyes hurt from reading on my kindle all afternoon, and it's the stupid teen tournament on Jeopardy.

Guess I have to drink all of their booze. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
My beautiful dog was diagnosed with cancer on Thursday.

I had gone home to celebrate my future father-in-law's birthday and my future sister-in-law's engagement (to a really awesome guy), but instead I sat at the vet's all afternoon bawling my eyes out, because the reason the best dog ever in the entire world is coughing is because she's got secondary tumors in her lungs.

She's an 11 y/o golden/lab mix, so it's not terribly surprising, and when she didn't touch her dinner the night before we knew something was really wrong. My mom gets to make the financial calls, and she's decided on palliative care.

Luckily my girl's responding well to the prednisone. I was terrified - and still am, to some extent - that she wouldn't be around by the time I make it home on Sunday, but she was much peppier when I left yesterday, so I'm feeling much better about that.

My poor baby.

My beautiful dog was diagnosed with cancer on Thursday.

I had gone home to celebrate my future father-in-law's birthday and my future sister-in-law's engagement (to a really awesome guy), but instead I sat at the vet's all afternoon bawling my eyes out, because the reason the best dog ever in the entire world is coughing is because she's got secondary tumors in her lungs.

She's an 11 y/o golden/lab mix, so it's not terribly surprising, and when she didn't touch her dinner the night before we knew something was really wrong. My mom gets to make the financial calls, and she's decided on palliative care.

Luckily my girl's responding well to the prednisone. I was terrified - and still am, to some extent - that she wouldn't be around by the time I make it home on Sunday, but she was much peppier when I left yesterday, so I'm feeling much better about that.

My poor baby.

hopefullinva, i know exactly what you're going through. my dog was diagnosed with GME (Granulomatous meningoencephalitis) in November of 2010 and i lost him in may of 2011. i know what it's like not to know whether she will be there when you leave and come back home and stuff, i was in my last year of college at the time so i know how you feel.

it is SOOO hard to see your dog be sick and go through all that stuff -- i'm sure other people on SDN understand too and we are here for you :hug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone care to tell what it is about? :)
NC voted to ban gay marriage, but not only that, only a marriage between a man and a women will be recognized as a legal union at all. That includes civil unions, so they can't put them on their insurance etc.(This also limits unmarried straight couple as well)

That's terrible. :(

My old neighbor in Germany just got married to his bf. Their pictures are so cute! :love:

NC marriage amendment. :thumbdown:

disappointed in our State today. I really thought NC was more "liberal" than that. Or used their brains more and realized that this affects every woman who is in a non-married relationship. If she gets beat up, this law pretty much guarantees she won't have rights, because they aren't in marriage, just a domestic parternship. It affects the children of people who aren't married, not just gay people, but straight people who maybe never wanted to get married but wanted children together. The wording of this amendment is so incredibly vague that there are so many scenarios that can affect so many different people. I just don't really know if people who were just voting to "ban gay marriage" actually realized the full impact of this law

urgh. it makes me really mad.

I just don't really know if people who were just voting to "ban gay marriage" actually realized the full impact of this law

The article I read cited a poll that estimated only about 40% of people who voted in favor of the ban realized it also made marriage between a man and a woman the only legal union. That is one of the things makes me the most angry because they were voting uninformed!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SDN Mobile

disappointed in our State today. I really thought NC was more "liberal" than that. Or used their brains more and realized that this affects every woman who is in a non-married relationship. If she gets beat up, this law pretty much guarantees she won't have rights, because they aren't in marriage, just a domestic parternship. It affects the children of people who aren't married, not just gay people, but straight people who maybe never wanted to get married but wanted children together. The wording of this amendment is so incredibly vague that there are so many scenarios that can affect so many different people. I just don't really know if people who were just voting to "ban gay marriage" actually realized the full impact of this law

Not to pick on you, but I don't think it even matters at all whether they realized all of those other things or not, The absolutely ridiculous fact remains that a majority of people voted to prevent two consenting adults from entering into a legal contract because of their gender. The whole idea deserves enough scorn and ridicule on its own.

Besides, the overlap between the sets of homophobes and misogynists is large enough that it probably wouldn't have mattered to them anyway.

I just don't really know if people who were just voting to "ban gay marriage" actually realized the full impact of this law

Of course they don't and the legislators who proposed/sponsored the bill were betting on that. Using controversial issues like gay marriage is a great way to divide people and trick them into surrendering more rights to the state or federal government. And this coming from the "more personal freedom and less government intrusion in our lives" political party. Of course, they really mean freedom to be like/think like/act like them.

BTW: love all the open support of gay rights on here everyone!:thumbup:

Besides, the overlap between the sets of homophobes and misogynists is large enough that it probably wouldn't have mattered to them anyway.
Haha, so true, so true....

Sorry for all of the successive posts, I've haven't really figured out the multi quote thing, I'm not very tech savvy.

Here's a rant that has been boiling for awhile:

Pet weight restrictions in a rental house/apartment. What the crap?

Breed restrictions are BS too, but at least I can see where they are coming from with that (even if it's misguided - breeds in general do have tendencies that make them simliar and that's kind of the point of a breed in the first place...).

But weight restrictions make absolutely no sense at all. Like, I can't conceive of a scenario where the weight of the pet means absolutely anything about its suitability for a living situation. It leads to a lot of misguided ideas which are actually fairly harmful. Like, a Jack Russell Terrier for instance - terrible, awful apartment dog for the average pet owner. But it falls below the weight restrictions for most places, so people think of it as a good breed for apartment living. Conversely I'm sure that a Greyhound would be above restrictions for most places, and as a breed they are some of the absolute laziest indoor dogs.

I say this now because I came across a duplex with a fenced yard that would be perfect to move to if not for the most absurd restriction I've seen yet - dogs below 15 lbs. Honestly? 2 of my CATS weigh more than that (and they aren't fat, just big cats). Now, my SO and I have two dogs between us. His is a 14 year old JRT he got when he lived in an apartment (who is a holy terror, unsocialized, untrained and barky - I hate to say it but I am pretty much just waiting for this dog to croak). Mine is a 35 lb Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, she's deaf and very quiet, and has excellent manners in the house. If I were a landlord I sure as hell know which dog I'd rather have in my place.... :rolleyes:

So I know I'm late on this, but I had to share my experience. I think I actually posted it on here before but ....
I was annoyed at the same thing so I asked a lady why she had size restrictions. Her response " bigger dogs give off more heat" .......

REALLY???? I didn't know you were paying my electric bill. My other favorite ironic part... my roommate is getting her PhD studying heat loss in wolves. All of her research shows otherwise lol

One complex told me its for fear of people being pulled down the stairs. So I requested a first floor apartment and they said that was fine.... :eyeroll:

One place I explained how they are losing guaranteed rent payments for four years with grad school tenants and they changed their minds rather quickly.

The way that domestic violence settlements are worded in NC law, it actually will depend on how the courts approach it whether or not the amendment will impact it, but that is definitely a concern. I had several friends who had dealt with abusive relationships that were very strongly against the amendment on those grounds.

On the bright side... the whole triangle area was against. Can't say the same thing for my hometown in Onslow.

The article I read cited a poll that estimated only about 40% of people who voted in favor of the ban realized it also made marriage between a man and a woman the only legal union. That is one of the things makes me the most angry because they were voting uninformed!

And of that 40%, probably the first 30% were the people who voted against (in many counties) and 10% who seriously believe that that should be the only legal union.

Not to pick on you, but I don't think it even matters at all whether they realized all of those other things or not, The absolutely ridiculous fact remains that a majority of people voted to prevent two consenting adults from entering into a legal contract because of their gender. The whole idea deserves enough scorn and ridicule on its own.

:thumbup: I'm not super active in lgbt community any more, but I personally won't marry my boyfriend (4+ years) until marriage or union rights are extended to same-sex couples in the area I live... not holding my breath for NC now, obviously.

I know, I agree to some extent in that regard. It's just so frustrating regardless. Separation of Church and State, people!

And of that 40%, probably the first 30% were the people who voted against (in many counties) and 10% who seriously believe that that should be the only legal union.

This actually said it was 40% of people who voted FOR it.
So frustrating. I kind of don't even see how we can vote on the rights of others ESPECIALLY when it doesn't affect other people!!!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SDN Mobile

Lost our 11.5 year GSD yesterday.

Got home to my parents place after eight hours on the road to her with a bloody rear end so immediately took her to the doc's. The doctor on that night has been my mentor since middle school, and she let me take her back, sedate her, and shave and clip to see what was going on. The dog was diagnosed with perianal fistulas about two years ago, and it's been pretty refractory to treatment. When I shaved and cleaned the area and saw how bad it was (bloody, running, ulcerated abscesses up the tailhead, around the anus, and starting down the hind legs) I decided it'd be better to just not have her wake up. Not only was she a mess but we were already thinking of euthanasia in the next few weeks due to weight loss, anorexia, lethargy, etc. Have a feeling cancer was lurking in there somewhere. Sucks big time but she made the choice for us at least.

I'm so sorry Nittany. I'm sure your dog enjoyed all those wonderful years she had with you and your family. You're all in my thoughts.

Sorry to hear about your pup, Nittany. Glad, though, that you got to be such a big part of the treatment and final decision.

Sorry to hear about your GSD Nittanykitty! :(

My rant: The department awards ceremony is tomorrow. They asked me today if I could sing the national anthem for it. They even arranged coverage for the hour and a half ceremony. Too bad they didn't ask me six weeks ago, hell even two weeks ago so that my BF could attend. I had assumed, as no one had asked me to sing and there was no second dispatcher to cover me that I was going to be sitting in dispatch, unable to attend because I legally cannot leave my desk without relief. Thus, BF didn't take time off. Now I feel bad because he can't attend, my supervisor is going to cover me because the Captain pulled rank. (Apparently the anthem is more important than her attendance.) And to top it off, I only get to sing. There is no-one up for an award from my division because my supervisor does not write recommendations. All the exemplary work we do, which our patrol Sergeants regularly praise us for is meaningless because they are not part of our direct chain of command and thus cannot recommend us.

So yeah, I'll be part of the honor guard on short notice and attend my fourth such award ceremony in which we go unnoticed.

FTB, I'm sure you'll sound amazing! I'm sorry your bf couldn't go too. I also can't believe your boss can't take the time to recommend you for an award. You certainly deserve one from the sound of it. Break a leg up there!

Sorry to hear about your GSD Nittanykitty! :(

My rant: The department awards ceremony is tomorrow. They asked me today if I could sing the national anthem for it. They even arranged coverage for the hour and a half ceremony. Too bad they didn't ask me six weeks ago, hell even two weeks ago so that my BF could attend. I had assumed, as no one had asked me to sing and there was no second dispatcher to cover me that I was going to be sitting in dispatch, unable to attend because I legally cannot leave my desk without relief. Thus, BF didn't take time off. Now I feel bad because he can't attend, my supervisor is going to cover me because the Captain pulled rank. (Apparently the anthem is more important than her attendance.) And to top it off, I only get to sing. There is no-one up for an award from my division because my supervisor does not write recommendations. All the exemplary work we do, which our patrol Sergeants regularly praise us for is meaningless because they are not part of our direct chain of command and thus cannot recommend us.

So yeah, I'll be part of the honor guard on short notice and attend my fourth such award ceremony in which we go unnoticed.

I dislike the lack of recognition. Sing O Canada instead.

So sorry to hear about your dog Nittany. At least she made the decision a little easier.

You'll have to excuse my way less important rants:
1. Vet who I got bengal kitten from (who breeds them) asked me if I would consider breeding her before I spayed her. Um, excuse me? This is the kitten that we have NO freaking clue what was wrong with her, no idea if she's going to live a normal life, no idea what caused her seizures. We know nothing, and you want to breed her? Not to mention the fact that mom killed or rejected 5 out of 7 of her litter. Why would you want to pass on the possibility of any of those genes?! GAH! Obviously I said no vehemently.
2. I have a friend that is in inorganic 2 with a whole bunch of animal science students who are applying to vet school this year. Apparently they were taking their final last night and, with the exception of my friend, were all cheating. I'm not talking about a smidge cheating, I'm talking about having photos of exams and notes on their phones, all their notes saved on their calculators, you know, no big deal. I was FURIOUS when she told me. These are the freaking people I'm competing against for vet school? Are you kidding? I work my butt off to get the grades I deserve, and that many people are just cheating their way through. There were 5 of them! And then they had the balls to brag about it afterwards. I am honestly surprised. What a**holes.

Just got home from having my wisdom teeth taken out... Yes at 11:30pm. So happy to be that lucky 1% odds winner of permanent facial nerve damage. :mad:
Oh and just for the hell of it, not a single 24 hour pharmacy open within 40 miles. Having a sliced nerve along your jawline is really awesome, not having anything besides Tylenol is just incredible.

This thread has been way too active tonight.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog, Nittany. =(

Emiloo - Is it like, furreal permanent?

Just got home from having my wisdom teeth taken out... Yes at 11:30pm. So happy to be that lucky 1% odds winner of permanent facial nerve damage. :mad:
Oh and just for the hell of it, not a single 24 hour pharmacy open within 40 miles. Having a sliced nerve along your jawline is really awesome, not having anything besides Tylenol is just incredible.

Oh no!!! I am so sorry Emiloo! That is so scary and sucks. :(

My stupid (ex)stray kitty, that has not a tooth in his head and a perpetually weepy eye, that I didn't even want to adopt in the first place, but whom I have fallen completely in love with over the last year is in kidney failure. :(

Excellent. In the middle of the last three weeks of exam, exam, exam ... and I get a text in the middle of pathology today: "Call me. We were in a car accident."

Sigh. Geez. If the wife wanted another car, she should have just tried asking.

Some guy (who, to his credit, admitted fault and was really apologetic and seemed to genuinely feel bad when I talked to him tonight) rear-ended my wife when she stopped at a crosswalk for a family crossing the road. Totaled one of our cars and showered one of my kids with glass from the rear window. (Isn't that stuff supposed to be moderately shatter-proof? I mean, I know nothing's perfect, but...)

On the positive side, aside from a few minor scratches from glass on one of the kids and a few soar necks tomorrow, nobody was hurt. Yay.

Excellent. In the middle of the last three weeks of exam, exam, exam ... and I get a text in the middle of pathology today: "Call me. We were in a car accident."

Sigh. Geez. If the wife wanted another car, she should have just tried asking.

Some guy (who, to his credit, admitted fault and was really apologetic and seemed to genuinely feel bad when I talked to him tonight) rear-ended my wife when she stopped at a crosswalk for a family crossing the road. Totaled one of our cars and showered one of my kids with glass from the rear window. (Isn't that stuff supposed to be moderately shatter-proof? I mean, I know nothing's perfect, but...)

On the positive side, aside from a few minor scratches from glass on one of the kids and a few soar necks tomorrow, nobody was hurt. Yay.

Aw LIS. Scary stuff. Glad Mrs. LIS and the little LISes are ok though!!!

My stupid (ex)stray kitty, that has not a tooth in his head and a perpetually weepy eye, that I didn't even want to adopt in the first place, but whom I have fallen completely in love with over the last year is in kidney failure. :(

I'm so sorry. =(

It's funny how it seems sometimes we get those slightly damaged goods who stick around to teach us a lesson, and once the lesson's learned it's time to say goodbye. =(

I had my wisdom teeth taken out a few weeks ago. I was also one of the 1%. My lips and the side of my face were numb for a bit, but after about a week, I could feel again!

I know the pain you are in and I am so sorry. Just know it will get better. I like to think this will just make us tougher!

Oh yes, and no straws!

omg emiloo!!! I am so sorry! Seriously permanent?! That sucks :(

I'm sick, but work will be f'd without me. I'm underpaid, they're understaffed. Grumble grumble....:mad:

The phrase "permanent facial nerve damage" makes my skin crawl. I hope everything's ok Emiloo.

Work completed an audit of our compensatory time off (accrued in lieu of paid OT) and OT time banks today. Only to find that apparently they paid me $800 in OT a year ago in error. They haven't decided whether they are going to ask me to repay it or if they'll just take away my comp time to balance it out.

Problem is, I don't remember working 56 hours of paid OT and I don't have $800 to chuck back at work, in addition to the $300 they took out of my check because they overpaid into my retirement a little while back.

The phrase "permanent facial nerve damage" makes my skin crawl. I hope everything's ok Emiloo.

Work completed an audit of our compensatory time off (accrued in lieu of paid OT) and OT time banks today. Only to find that apparently they paid me $800 in OT a year ago in error. They haven't decided whether they are going to ask me to repay it or if they'll just take away my comp time to balance it out.

Problem is, I don't remember working 56 hours of paid OT and I don't have $800 to chuck back at work, in addition to the $300 they took out of my check because they overpaid into my retirement a little while back.

Augh! Lame! That's their fault...they should eat it! :smuggrin: Or at least don't make you repay it...that's just sh*tty. Can you go back and check pay stubs and stuff??