RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was having such a wonderful nap post pathology hell. And then they decided to test the tornado sirens. I didn't even know we had tornado sirens. At least now I know next time there's severe weather I don't have to wake myself up in anxiety every half hour to check my phone for tornado warnings like I did back home usually about once a year during a big storm. (It's a bit of a phobia of mine, what can I say?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was having such a wonderful nap post pathology hell. And then they decided to test the tornado sirens. I didn't even know we had tornado sirens. At least now I know next time there's severe weather I don't have to wake myself up in anxiety every half hour to check my phone for tornado warnings like I did back home usually about once a year during a big storm. (It's a bit of a phobia of mine, what can I say?)
They were running them earlier during the test too (I knew I heard a siren!)

omg, i went to olive garden and whatever is in the food gave me the worst gas bloat ever. i'll have to remember that for the future. i love their unlimited salad/bread sticks... ugh, but it made me so gassy to the point where it hurt so bad. holy crap, thank goodness it was my day off.

I feel you! I have a huge severe weather phobia! I used to live in Dallas and it would get bad there and where I currently live we don't get much weather at all but I'll be moving to TN in Aug.

I would be paranoid as all hell if I lived in a region with tornadoes. Tornadoes, severe hurricanes, earthquakes... Yeah, no thanks. PEI might get a lot of snow, but at least I don't have to deal with that. I would be a wreck. We get hurricanes, but they've usually blown themselves out to tropical storms by the time they reach us.

They were running them earlier during the test too (I knew I heard a siren!)
I know... I didn't put two and two together with the text about the tornado drill and hearing the sirens during the exam... then they started blaring outside my apartment at 7pm, and I was like, oh my god, what is going on? There must be one really close by for it to have been that loud! It actually makes me feel good knowing we have them, though.

I would be paranoid as all hell if I lived in a region with tornadoes. Tornadoes, severe hurricanes, earthquakes... Yeah, no thanks. PEI might get a lot of snow, but at least I don't have to deal with that. I would be a wreck. We get hurricanes, but they've usually blown themselves out to tropical storms by the time they reach us.

I didn't know before moving here that Minnesota actually got tornados (there's very good reason why states like Oklahoma & Kansas were crossed off my list very early in vet school application decisions, haha). We very rarely got tornados back home and small ones at that, but usually a few tornado warnings & watches a year. I really shouldn't ever have been that afraid of them given how slim my chances were of ever being near one, but I think what got to me was with how hilly our landscape was, you could never really see the horizon from most places you were at any given time, including my house, so I was always afraid a tornado would be practically on top of me & I would have no idea... hence why severe weather warnings always kept me up worrying at night, haha. Especially that one time during a storm when the weather people were like, "this storm has the ingredients to potentially form a tornado, and if one were to form it would form right around [insert description of exactly where my neighborhood is]o_O"

I've been getting migraines more and more frequently lately, so of course I'd get one in the middle of finals. I desperately need to study for tomorrow's pathology exam and these things tend to wipe me out for the entire day. :(

I really shouldn't ever have been that afraid of them given how slim my chances were of ever being near one, but I think what got to me was with how hilly our landscape was, you could never really see the horizon from most places you were at any given time, including my house, so I was always afraid a tornado would be practically on top of me & I would have no idea... hence why severe weather warnings always kept me up worrying at night, haha.

When I contacted Tulane about an externship, they told me they took externs all year round except May-August. And all I could think was, "I don't deal well with heat to begin with, and hurricane season starts June 1. I have no desire to be anywhere NEAR the Gulf Coast that time of year." In looking for post-grad residencies, "potential for natural disasters" definitely drops some places down my list.

I've been getting migraines more and more frequently lately, so of course I'd get one in the middle of finals. I desperately need to study for tomorrow's pathology exam and these things tend to wipe me out for the entire day. :(

I find that's always the way. Exams are just too much for the body to handle. :( A classmate wound up in ER over the weekend for severe back pain and has been trying to balance pain killer induced brain fog and studying. Hope you get some relief.

Reactions: 1 user
Hopefully you can persevere through. I 100% understand... been battling them for 8+ years at this point and stress always makes them rear their ugly head. Finals are next week for us. Good luck on the rest of yours.

I have 3 herniated discs in my back (L3-S1), with significant radiculopathy to my right leg and foot. On Tuesday, I was finally able to have a steroid epidural done to my back because I just couldn't manage my pain with oral meds. I was also having right hip pain, but we thought it was probably due to my back. But, just in case, I was sent to an orthopedic surgeon who ordered a contrast MRI of my hip joint, which was done Wednesday. I took my disc home and popped it in and I see a HUGE tear in my labrum. Now, obviously I'm not a radiologist, but I looked for 10 minutes at google images of the same thing, and it fits. Had a vet here at school look at it who had surgery for her labral tear and she saw it as well without me pointing it out. I'm upset because I just wanted feel some relief for a little while. Instead, my back feels ok, but I now know that my hip was a good part of my pain because the injection has aggravated it something fierce and I'm still in pain. I have my follow up appointment here in a week or so to see what the orthopod says.

Maybe it is sympathy pains for @dyachei !

I have 3 herniated discs in my back (L3-S1), with significant radiculopathy to my right leg and foot. On Tuesday, I was finally able to have a steroid epidural done to my back because I just couldn't manage my pain with oral meds. I was also having right hip pain, but we thought it was probably due to my back. But, just in case, I was sent to an orthopedic surgeon who ordered a contrast MRI of my hip joint, which was done Wednesday. I took my disc home and popped it in and I see a HUGE tear in my labrum. Now, obviously I'm not a radiologist, but I looked for 10 minutes at google images of the same thing, and it fits. Had a vet here at school look at it who had surgery for her labral tear and she saw it as well without me pointing it out. I'm upset because I just wanted feel some relief for a little while. Instead, my back feels ok, but I now know that my hip was a good part of my pain because the injection has aggravated it something fierce and I'm still in pain. I have my follow up appointment here in a week or so to see what the orthopod says.

Maybe it is sympathy pains for @dyachei !
ugh, I'm so sorry jam.

I'm here if you ever need to talk about ortho.

starting to become anxious about becoming a zombievet in 2 weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my third rejection email, meaning I have nothing lined up for my summer. One of only two summers left to do cool experiences, and I'm basically losing one of them. Bleh.

Just got my third rejection email, meaning I have nothing lined up for my summer. One of only two summers left to do cool experiences, and I'm basically losing one of them. Bleh.

I had the same problem after my first year, and nearly after my second. It's frustrating but just keep searching/emailing. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I'm in the same boat. Since I got most of my experience while I was in undergrad, I don't have an established relationship with any clinics back home. No one wants to train someone who is only going to stick around for the summer, unfortunately.

I might try to set up a series of externships to at least get some experience and to remind myself why I wanted to go to vet school in the first place. Sucks that I won't be getting paid though, I really need the money. :(

Got a security notice today that there was an attempted sexual assault in a stairwell on campus yesterday.

AT 4:30 IN THE AFTERNOON. i.e. broad freaking daylight.

What the hell is wrong with people? I'm glad the girl got away. :(

Sick of studying for clinical tox exam tomorrow. Gave up and now I'm watching Code Geass on YouTube. So over exams. Luckily, this is the last one that requires studying (Monday's equine med exam is open book), but I wanted to do well on it. But my brain is tired...

Group projects...:boom:Half of my group are horrible group members and just made me fail a project. My sections of the project got A's. Their sections... well, they were nonexistent because they didn't bother to do it or to let me know that they weren't going to do it. I really hope the instructor allows me to change groups, or even do the rest of the projects alone. I'd rather do all the work myself from the beginning than to find out a couple hours before the deadline that nothing is done. And I'm sick of people taking credit for my work.:(

Group projects...:boom:Half of my group are horrible group members and just made me fail a project. My sections of the project got A's. Their sections... well, they were nonexistent because they didn't bother to do it or to let me know that they weren't going to do it. I really hope the instructor allows me to change groups, or even do the rest of the projects alone. I'd rather do all the work myself from the beginning than to find out a couple hours before the deadline that nothing is done. And I'm sick of people taking credit for my work.:(
I absolutely hate group work. I'm too much of a control freak to let other people determine my grade, which means I always end up being the one compiling everything once everyone finally decides to get their stuff done and sent to me the night before it's due. I had a group presentation once that ended up being extremely embarrassing because only two of the five of us had actually collaborated on the project - the others never emailed us back about anything so we had no idea what they were going to present...it was awful. Fortunately I was able to convince my professor to give me and the other person who had actually worked on the presentation a higher grade.

I don't suppose you could talk to your professor about it? If your sections got A's then it shouldn't be hard to convince him/her that you put in far more effort than anyone else in the group.

I wish I could say that group work gets better in vet school . . . but it doesn't.

I've found it overall better in vet school. There's still some people I just can't stand the thought of working with, but on the whole, it's better. Probably depends on class dynamics though.

I've had fewer problems with people not pulling their own weight, but more problems with the Type A personalities. Things like trying to power grab, stepping on other group members' toes because they feel they can do the project better than anyone else, or doing the bare minimum of work and then deciding the night before the project is due that the perfectly acceptable final product is not good enough and everyone should spend all night rewriting their sections until the particular group member is satisfied.

Can you tell I despise group work? :laugh:

I hate group work. I am really quite glad that any group work we have to do here, you are graded on your own write-up of the work. So the whole group does the lab together, but each member of the group does his/her own write-up on the results. For the most part, people here are actually really great about doing the labs/working out cases/etc together. I haven't had too much of an issue with that. But if I had to write a paper with someone, that could turn out not so great.

In undergrad, for my ecology class, the other two girls in my group just did not understand how to do the graphs/statistics/etc... so I would do all the statistics and graphing because I wanted a decent grade and they would just give up and either do it incorrectly or come up with random numbers to support what they wanted to say. What made it really frustrating, was that I would put in all the work to do the analysis of our data and yet they would always be given better grades than I was given. I still passed the course with a good grade, but it is incredibly frustrating when two people sit around doing nothing while you work your arse off and they get rewarded for your hard work.

Yeah, I'm sending my professor an email. So far she's just told the group to make sure we work together better and get everything done, even though it's pretty obvious from the class discussion boards that half our group is not doing anything. I was assigned "group leader" and supposed to make sure everyone does their part, but there's only so much you can do when your group doesn't respond to your emails and the class never meets in person. I think she would at least adjust my final grade up to passing if necessary, but I don't want to be stuck doing the rest of the term's projects for my group. I probably should have expected terrible group work (it's a freshman-level, 2 credit class that I unfortunately needed to take) but I didn't realize they'd be okay with failing.

I've had fewer problems with people not pulling their own weight, but more problems with the Type A personalities. Things like trying to power grab, stepping on other group members' toes because they feel they can do the project better than anyone else, or doing the bare minimum of work and then deciding the night before the project is due that the perfectly acceptable final product is not good enough and everyone should spend all night rewriting their sections until the particular group member is satisfied.

Can you tell I despise group work? :laugh:

I have had the problem of everyone wanting control, especially last semester. We did a lot of practia projects in my Master's, so a company would tell us what they want and let us run with it during the semester. Last semester no one was getting what they wanted so instead of asking our sponsor they just ran with it and wasted almost 3 weeks, just because they did not want the company to think that we did not know what were doing. I left every group meeting so exhausted and stressed because the other people in my group all wanted control or would gang up on me and not listen. So I gave in and just kept my mouth shut. They eventually emailed the sponsor and low and behold... I was right :mad: Still gets me fired up thinking about it!

However, I must say my group work in Grad School was so much better than in undergrad. But this does still hold true :)

943035_557960364248469_1370011483_n.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
This is just an annoyance but I feel like whining.

Earlier in the week, Landlord asked if he could show the place, says is noon (today) ok, sure no problem. I asked if he would confirm with me beforehand so I could make sure everything was presentable looking. Didn't hear anything so I text him at noon and ask if noon was still the plan and he says "i think they're planning to come around 2, is that ok?" I'd prefer to have known that earlier so I didn't rush home from errands to clean some more but no problem.

Well it's 2:20 now and no sign or text from anyone. I admit that I have nothing important to do today but I really just want to loaf around in my pjs and read on the couch with my blanket and pillow and crap on the end table and not have to worry about people coming over. I don't mind taking 5 mins to show them the place but can you please be here on time or let me know that you aren't coming? I am always always on time to things so it irritates me when people are late (like going on 30mins...) (BD wasn't late!)

Yeah, I've been having problems too. The thing I really wanted to do was a first come first serve internship/class with a cap of 5 people and I wasn't fast enough... how was I supposed to know the person who does our class registration would already be there before 8am? :( So now I'm just volunteering there once a week instead doing animal care trying not to get jealous when I see other students doing stuff in the hospital. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get one of the shadowing spots in the fall, since I think that's a better experience anyways and doesn't cost money for credits... but I have no idea how many people may be in front of me on the list or how many spots will open up, and it's driving me insane!! Why does wildlife have to be so popular? Especially when people take up spots at these experiences and they don't actually plan on going into zoo/wildlife and are just doing it because it's fun/a great hands on experience? (Mini rant in my response there...) Anyways, I'm sort of piece-mealing my summer together... volunteering at the wildlife center, hopefully getting the job I just interviewed for at the front desk in our hospital (but it's only 8 hours a week), taking my MPH classes, and going on a 2 week VIDA trip in August with some classmates. Also thinking about trying to find an exotics vet to shadow so that I can actually do something more clinically related this summer. Really wishing I just had a nice simple full time gig all summer, but maybe next year when I won't have so many MPH classes to take. At least I'll have some time to relax this summer and maybe go visit some state parks and get some use out of my poor camera that's been sitting on the shelf most of the year...

Stupid rant, but I just finished watching the last episode of the third season of Downton Abbey and all I can say is: WHY.

Honestly not sure if I want to even bother watching Season 4. I feel like the show can't possibly be as good now.

Honestly not sure if I want to even bother watching Season 4. I feel like the show can't possibly be as good now.
That's how I felt right after I watched that episode... Still kinda feel that way. I even knew it was going to happen because someone spoiled it for me, and it still hurt.

Tried to buy clothes for rotations yesterday (some of our rotations call for the relatively minor dress code of khakis and a polo). That was depressing. Logically, I know that numbers on a waist band don't mean anything. Emotionally, I cannot stand it, and I hate that I let the emotional side win.

Tried to buy clothes for rotations yesterday (some of our rotations call for the relatively minor dress code of khakis and a polo). That was depressing. Logically, I know that numbers on a waist band don't mean anything. Emotionally, I cannot stand it, and I hate that I let the emotional side win.

I hate that I let it get to me too.

I feel you. Dreading the shopping trip that must happen :(

dear roommate, DO YOUR DISHES!!!!!! i am not your maid, i am not doing it for you, and i certainly dont appreciate that you let our house stink of rotting food because you are too lazy

Pharm final tomorrow on toxicology. I can't sit still long enough to make it through the reading of one lecture. My ability to focus has severely dwindled this semester. I'm also super fidgety all the time in class/while studying and I'm sure it's driving people insane.

This is more of a rant of frustration at myself than anything else, but, I hate it when I can't or don't answer the phone when someone I don't know is calling me and then they leave me a voicemail and it turns out to be something important like asking to schedule a job interview and my stupid phobia of making phone calls gets me all worked up about the idea of calling them back :confused: This is one unfortunate aspect of my social anxiety issues that I haven't been very good at getting over :bag:

Reactions: 2 users
I wish I could go back a year ago and warn myself my worst idea during my first year of vet school would be having a classmate for a roommate. 2 more days....I can make it, right?

Edit: She's moving out now instead of tomorrow! Woo!!!

Last edited:
Just spent a very difficult-to-sleep night at the vet school, since it's a designated tornado shelter and I live in a trailer. I was supposed to sleep well last night since I sacrificed a lot of sleep Sunday night to take a final Monday morning. I mean, I'm glad I was there since the we had tornado warnings, the sirens went off, and one touched down 12 miles south, but still. Haven't the stupid tornadoes heard of something called finals?

The worst part is it's supposed to be even worse weather tonight. Don't put that air mattress away, kids!!

Just spent a very difficult-to-sleep night at the vet school, since it's a designated tornado shelter and I live in a trailer. I was supposed to sleep well last night since I sacrificed a lot of sleep Sunday night to take a final Monday morning. I mean, I'm glad I was there since the we had tornado warnings, the sirens went off, and one touched down 12 miles south, but still. Haven't the stupid tornadoes heard of something called finals?

The worst part is it's supposed to be even worse weather tonight. Don't put that air mattress away, kids!!
Sounds awful :( Makes me feel better about the fact that it's snowing here today. I'll take that over tornado warnings any day.

How is it possible to have so much stuff in just one single room of a house?! I haven't even moved my bed, snake rack, nightstand, or flatscreen and I've already made 3 trips to the storage place! I feel like my stuff magically and spontaneously multiplied behind my back. :(

Not to mention that I still have 2 finals this week and a huge paper that I haven't even started because 1) I don't really care and 2) I have no time. I hate the end of the school year. ._.

I love my grandmother but here she is arguing with my mother about someone's right to say whatever they want (in relation to the racist comments made by that NBA team owner - I don't know basketball stuff at all)...this is a woman who married a Jamaican man so I just really don't understand why she thinks something like that is ok.

I love my grandmother but here she is arguing with my mother about someone's right to say whatever they want (in relation to the racist comments made by that NBA team owner - I don't know basketball stuff at all)...this is a woman who married a Jamaican man so I just really don't understand why she thinks something like that is ok.

I think the people in disagreement with Adam Silver's ruling aren't necessarily on the side of Don Sterling because they agree with his racist remarks, but because of the principles and viewpoints surrounding freedom of speech, privacy, etc. That group of people feel that his remarks, while reprehensible, should not have garnered so steep a punishment because they were technically said in private, and they're his own opinions, etc.

I think the people in disagreement with Adam Silver's ruling aren't necessarily on the side of Don Sterling because they agree with his racist remarks, but because of the principles and viewpoints surrounding freedom of speech, privacy, etc. That group of people feel that his remarks, while reprehensible, should not have garnered so steep a punishment because they were technically said in private, and they're his own opinions, etc.
I know they don't necessarily agree with him. I guess from my viewpoint any issues of privacy are overruled by the awful idea of someone who is racist owning a business that largely employs African Americans, or being allowed to continue to hold such prejudices without any consequences. But I know other people are more concerned with how the information got out and all that.