RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is warmer out now and I would like to make an announcement: wearing sandals is a privilege. One that comes with the responsibility of either getting a pedicure or using a loofa on your own. If your feet are nasty, please don't parade them out in the open, its disgusting and I'm trying eat here!

Reactions: 1 user
It is warmer out now and I would like to make an announcement: wearing sandals is a privilege. One that comes with the responsibility of either getting a pedicure or using a loofa on your own. If your feet are nasty, please don't parade them out in the open, its disgusting and I'm trying eat here!

:laugh:

Am I the only person that just does not look at other people's feet? I wouldn't even notice an ugly foot because I just don't care to look at feet. I think the only time I ever paid attention to shoes was in the first/second grade when I would cheat while playing Heads Up, 7 Up on a rainy school day. I would make it so that I could partially see over the desk and catch a glimpse of the person's shoes, then I would easily be able to identify who touched my thumb.... (yeah, I was an awkward kid).

Members don't see this ad :)

Can you come and make this announcement at Ross? Ugh lol

Lost my cat Genie early this morning. She went very fast, only 2 days of lethargy before her little body could not take anymore :( She gave no signs anything was amiss but she had a large mass in her caudal lung lobe. These past 6 months have been the worst of my life with losing Alvin, Libby, and now Genie while both my mom and my SO's mom have been ill (his mom has terminal cancer). I'm so frustrated, exhausted, and heartbroken.
So sorry ky. This has been a miserable time for you. *hugs *

Lost my cat Genie early this morning. She went very fast, only 2 days of lethargy before her little body could not take anymore :( She gave no signs anything was amiss but she had a large mass in her caudal lung lobe. These past 6 months have been the worst of my life with losing Alvin, Libby, and now Genie while both my mom and my SO's mom have been ill (his mom has terminal cancer). I'm so frustrated, exhausted, and heartbroken.

So sorry ky.

So sorry, ky.

Am I the only person that just does not look at other people's feet? I wouldn't even notice an ugly foot because I just don't care to look at feet. I think the only time I ever paid attention to shoes was in the first/second grade when I would cheat while playing Heads Up, 7 Up on a rainy school day. I would make it so that I could partially see over the desk and catch a glimpse of the person's shoes, then I would easily be able to identify who touched my thumb.... (yeah, I was an awkward kid).

I don't know...I always notice people's shoes. I love shoes!
I was trapped looking at the nasty feet today due to chair arrangement at Panera. I was in a comfy high backed chair facing a person at a a regular table. The seating was cramped and thus her nasty feet were directly in my line of vision, sticking out from under the table, grossing me out. I had to curl up in the chair and face the wall in order to keeping eating my lunch.

Can you come and make this announcement at Ross? Ugh lol
Gladly! Although you'd think the sand would help these peeps out. Day at the beach=free pedi!

Edit to original announcement: This applies to guys as well.

Last edited:

I am so sorry for your loss, ky. I still feel the loss of my birdie girl very strongly and probably always will. She was my world. :cryi:

I started to go to my friend's house this evening, and the street outside my apartment is flooded. There is no alternative route. And not only am I worried about whether I'll be able to leave tomorrow (or for the next, like, week given that my weather app is predicting thunderstorms through Wednesday), I feel really bad because if I'd just left at 3 or 4 instead of staying another night for my gaming group, I wouldn't need to be worrying about this right now. :drowning:

So sorry to hear :(

Turns out my mother does not approve of my boyfriend of 1.5 years because he "doesn't like dogs" (he doesn't like dogs who jump on people and are untrained) and has made numerous comments on how I should break up with him and date someone I am not interested in. She also tried to have my best friend who's like my brother take me on a date, despite the fact that I am already dating and am happy!

Oh, and made a comment on how me and my sig other have "only really been dating six months, because the rest was long distance and that doesn't really count anyways."

Turns out my mother does not approve of my boyfriend of 1.5 years because he "doesn't like dogs" (he doesn't like dogs who jump on people and are untrained) and has made numerous comments on how I should break up with him and date someone I am not interested in. She also tried to have my best friend who's like my brother take me on a date, despite the fact that I am already dating and am happy!

Oh, and made a comment on how me and my sig other have "only really been dating six months, because the rest was long distance and that doesn't really count anyways."
Someone should tell all the military spouses that long distance doesn't count... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)

Am I the only person that just does not look at other people's feet?

Nope, I'm right there with you. And sorry to the feet people, but if I want to wear sandals, I'm gonna wear sandals, and I don't own a loofah and I can't afford pedicures. Not sure if my feet are deemed aesthetically acceptable, nor do I really care! :laugh: (Though at this rate, I have no idea when PEI might finally GET sandal weather...)

My SO was never really much of an animal person in the beginning but he's come a long way under my influence ( :D) but he still doesn't care for badly behaved pets. That's so frustrating of your mother all around :yeahright:

My upstairs neighbor really needs to move his or her bed to a less squeaky part of the floor...

Really not a fan of the daily headaches I'm getting right now. Not sure if it's stress, allergy related or what. They're not migraine level or anything like that, but they hurt enough to be distracting/annoying.

My dad has been a smoker my entire life. One of my mom's parakeets (she's had several over the years) is having respiratory-esque issues lately and I worry that it may very likely be tied to being in the same room as my dad's cigarette smoke. He has a fume-hood of sorts over the stove that he turns on but doesn't open the door or anything. My mom asked me to bring the keet into the vet and I will (of course!) but if it's the cigarette smoke, I dread having to tell her that as my dad can be a real jerk and especially when it comes to him quitting and I know he wouldn't quit just for the bird (he didn't even quit for his kids for goodness sake...) Sigh :(

My dad has been a smoker my entire life. One of my mom's parakeets (she's had several over the years) is having respiratory-esque issues lately and I worry that it may very likely be tied to being in the same room as my dad's cigarette smoke. He has a fume-hood of sorts over the stove that he turns on but doesn't open the door or anything. My mom asked me to bring the keet into the vet and I will (of course!) but if it's the cigarette smoke, I dread having to tell her that as my dad can be a real jerk and especially when it comes to him quitting and I know he wouldn't quit just for the bird (he didn't even quit for his kids for goodness sake...) Sigh :(

One of the first things I ask clients with birds is whether or not they smoke...that and tell them to get rid of all of their Teflon cookware. :( Most people don't though. Would it be possible to put an air filter next to the bird area? It's better than nothing if your dad won't change his habits.

One of the first things I ask clients with birds is whether or not they smoke...that and tell them to get rid of all of their Teflon cookware. :( Most people don't though. Would it be possible to put an air filter next to the bird area? It's better than nothing if your dad won't change his habits.

Out of curiosity, why Teflon?

:thumbup: Thought of the air filter idea, definitely a possibility if it is indeed an airborne thing. I figure I'll take him in, they'll prescribe abx and we'll go from there. Poor little dude.

started to think about cleaning up and packing today (as well as collecting all of the things i need to give away) and i'm realizing i REALLY have my work cut out for me over the next 36 hours...:eek: can i just stay here forever please??

Was so excited to make brownies tonight to celebrate it being more or less the end of first year (no one seems to be counting our teeny tiny insignificant online nutrition exam tomorrow)... mostly because I ate the last of the chocolate in my apartment yesterday morning while stressing out about my anatomy exam. And I go a little nuts when I don't have chocolate available to me at all times for consumption as needed. Anyways, took them out of the oven, and they were very oddly puffy. Let them cool a little bit and ate one... it was kinda cake like and dry. Knowing this was not right for a Ghirardelli brownie, I began to suspect I had somehow managed to screw up the very simple directions. Turns out I added 1/4 cup oil & 1/2 water when I was supposed to add 1/2 oil & 1/4 water. Didn't stop me from eating a third of the pan, though... at least they're low fat??? Just feeling oddly bummed, as I've been looking forward to these brownies for days now, and my stupid sleep deprived brain screwed them up.

started to think about cleaning up and packing today (as well as collecting all of the things i need to give away) and i'm realizing i REALLY have my work cut out for me over the next 36 hours...:eek: can i just stay here forever please??

NC's weather has been really gorgeous recently! For what it's worth.

So my mom just bought a new house two years ago, and this summer she's having a garage built and the long, hilly, rocky, washed-out dirt driveway repaired and graded. Today the contractor showed up at our house with the excavator who will be working on both jobs, to get an idea of what needed to be done. As my mom was talking to them she mentioned how we're currently working on spreading lime, fertilizer, crown vetch seed, and mulch on the previously brush-covered hill that dominates the property. Apparently in response to this the excavator shook his head and said, totally serious: "Don't you have a husband or sons who can do that for you?"

Oh right, I forgot, since my genitalia doesn't dangle I'm incapable of doing physical labor. :boom:

My mom is far more patient and even-tempered than I am and simply told him that we are perfectly capable of doing it ourselves. Fortunately I wasn't within earshot at the time. I probably would have decked him, or at the very least told him to get the hell off our property and to keep his idiot thoughts to himself next time if he wants to keep his job. It's not like the job we're giving him is trivial either - he's going to be making several thousand dollars off of us by the time everything is finished. You'd think he'd know enough not to be a misogynistic jerk to the people paying his salary.

Reactions: 2 users
Ha! I don't have the patience for that either.

Reminds me of the time I went out with my dad shopping to get him a new car. We were in the Mazda dealership looking at a model and a salesman approaches and starts talking to him about more details (which I don't care, it's not my car), but then hands me a booklet on it and says

"Why don't you take a look at the pretty colours?"

I just turned and left. Luckily my dad followed.

Reminds me of the time I went out with my dad shopping to get him a new car. We were in the Mazda dealership looking at a model and a salesman approaches and starts talking to him about more details (which I don't care, it's not my car), but then hands me a booklet on it and says

-_- Are you kidding me? I would've been so pissed.

I just bought a new truck... stormed out of two dealerships before buying from a third. "Oh, honey are you sure you want a truck that big? here, come look at this itsy bitsy car" combined with "this is the truck you want. isn't this a great color and look at all the shiny chrome. you don't really need X towing feature and Y bed length, you'll be fine with this super duper short bed length because jts red and shiny" and then I was told "they don't make that combination of features so you should settle for this, honey" (I had a printout of the exact truck I wanted in hand from an out of state dealer- so yes, it did exist)

walked into the third dealer and told them what I wanted and they said "we don't have one on the lot but we found the exact thing you want in Kansas. we can have it here by Friday". needless to say, I signed on the dotted line.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh lordie, casual sexism is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, and has persisted as annoying to me since I was like, five year olds or something ridiculously young like that. If I have to get you to split my BF/mine's cheque because you assumed he was paying, you're getting a lower tip. If you ask for a dude to help you carry something only moderately heavy, I'm going to chomp at the bit to volunteer and carry it. "What was SHE doing walking around alone late at night"? "What was HE doing assaulting her?!"

etc. Grr.

I just bought a new truck... stormed out of two dealerships before buying from a third. "Oh, honey are you sure you want a truck that big? here, come look at this itsy bitsy car" combined with "this is the truck you want. isn't this a great color and look at all the shiny chrome. you don't really need X towing feature and Y bed length, you'll be fine with this super duper short bed length because jts red and shiny" and then I was told "they don't make that combination of features so you should settle for this, honey" (I had a printout of the exact truck I wanted in hand from an out of state dealer- so yes, it did exist)

walked into the third dealer and told them what I wanted and they said "we don't have one on the lot but we found the exact thing you want in Kansas. we can have it here by Friday". needless to say, I signed on the dotted line.

Ugh, I'm hoping to buy a new truck as soon as I graduate and have a paying job. I can't wait to deal with this. :rolleyes:

I feel you on the females driving truck bit. I think I was at a drive-thru and the window guy was like, "You haven't run anyone over have you?" Not yet, but step right up sir, you can be the first!

Normally I don't rant about these things but here it goes. I was away for a large animal practical day so I've been gone since 6:45 AM. Roomie decides to take my study spot at the dinning room table that I have pretty much used all year. She's only just now started working at the dining room table. In fact, everyone has to decided to study here, which is fine, but I'd kind of like my seat. She got upset with my bf for taking her seat of like one week, and gets upset if people take her seat in class, so it's not like she doesn't understand the seat thing. Normally, I let it go if people take my seat in class because I don't always go, but I'm actually thrown off by this. I even sit at that seat if we do group dinners. I don't feel like making a big stink about it cause I'm sure she'll use the bf thing against me, so now I just have to struggle for the day.

This seems petty, but here goes. I've been doing a running program, training for a 10k. Just as I'm getting into it, able to consistently run 5 miles straight (that's a lot for me), and actually enjoy running... I get terribly painful Achilles tendinitis. I'm in pain, and can't run. :( My program will be completely thrown off if I miss runs, and if I don't recovery quickly, I'll lose all my great running gains. Grump. :(

This seems petty, but here goes. I've been doing a running program, training for a 10k. Just as I'm getting into it, able to consistently run 5 miles straight (that's a lot for me), and actually enjoy running... I get terribly painful Achilles tendinitis. I'm in pain, and can't run. :( My program will be completely thrown off if I miss runs, and if I don't recovery quickly, I'll lose all my great running gains. Grump. :(

No, I totally get that. That's me with CrossFit. I love it, but hate that I can't do it during school or if I start having problems with my shoulders (I think I have some slight rotator cuff issues from years of swimming). You lose progress so quickly and it sucks. I've also been having issues with running. I have been having some pain in the back of my knee on and off. It's not usually an issue during the run but it's hurts a lot after or the next day. I've had a few times where I ended up having to stop my run or cut it super short cause it was an issue. Hoping you recovery quickly!

And same for you Dyachei!

can you talk w/ a physical therapist? They may have suggestions on rehabbing it while keeping up some conditioning.

I can tell you from experience that it's much better to take a few days off from running than push through an injury...you'll end up not being able to run for weeks and that's much harder to come back from. I've always had really good luck with running specialty stores, normally the people who work there are very knowledgable and can give you some pointers. Obviously if you need to see a medical professional you should of course, but it might be worthwhile to stop at a running store too if you have one around. Many of them will analyze your gait and give you pointers on how to adjust your running style.

Reactions: 1 users
image44.gif

haha this is really big jjohnston but I can't figure out how else to get it on here. This is so simple but feels amazing. I second TooLove's advice, much better to take a few days off than a whole week. Also look into ChiRunning, its a whole movement towards better running form and there's a book (with pictures :) ). I haven't had an injury since learning ChiRunning and I often run for a few months and quit and start and quit and start, I have a love hate relationship with running of you can't tell.

Edit: This is the worst drawing of a foot ever...the heel is supposed to be on the ground while you bend both knees if you can't tell haha

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll look into all of them. They feel better today, but still not fit for running.

No, I totally get that. That's me with CrossFit. I love it, but hate that I can't do it during school or if I start having problems with my shoulders (I think I have some slight rotator cuff issues from years of swimming). You lose progress so quickly and it sucks. I've also been having issues with running. I have been having some pain in the back of my knee on and off. It's not usually an issue during the run but it's hurts a lot after or the next day. I've had a few times where I ended up having to stop my run or cut it super short cause it was an issue. Hoping you recovery quickly!

And same for you Dyachei!

First of all, props for doing CrossFit. I went once with my husband and almost threw up 6 times. That was the last time ever for me, haha. But yeah, I just hate how quickly I lose progress, be it running or lifting. Running has always been hard for me and it took awhile to build up to this, so this setback just totally bums me out.

I can tell you from experience that it's much better to take a few days off from running than push through an injury...you'll end up not being able to run for weeks and that's much harder to come back from. I've always had really good luck with running specialty stores, normally the people who work there are very knowledgable and can give you some pointers. Obviously if you need to see a medical professional you should of course, but it might be worthwhile to stop at a running store too if you have one around. Many of them will analyze your gait and give you pointers on how to adjust your running style.

Yeah, I may have to go back to the running store where I got my shoes. They evaluated my walking stride and I bought some pretty great running shoes, but I may head back to talk about my running stride and get pointers. I think I'm just basically bad at running, hah.

So I went for a run today and it was only supposed to be 30 minutes. I felt amazing at the end of the half hour so I decided to keep going. After another 15 minutes I decide I can make it the whole hour. I trip at 50 minutes and just eat it. My knees are all scraped and bloody with some gravel in them. I caught myself on my wrist and now my arm hurts like a b.

So I went for a run today and it was only supposed to be 30 minutes. I felt amazing at the end of the half hour so I decided to keep going. After another 15 minutes I decide I can make it the whole hour. I trip at 50 minutes and just eat it. My knees are all scraped and bloody with some gravel in them. I caught myself on my wrist and now my arm hurts like a b.
Yuck :( That sucks!

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll look into all of them. They feel better today, but still not fit for running.

First of all, props for doing CrossFit. I went once with my husband and almost threw up 6 times. That was the last time ever for me, haha. But yeah, I just hate how quickly I lose progress, be it running or lifting. Running has always been hard for me and it took awhile to build up to this, so this setback just totally bums me out.

Haha. Yeah, it'll do that to you. I've been close a few times myself, but I'm crazy and keep going back. I just wish it wasn't so expensive so I could afford to do it while I'm at school. I try to take the workouts and do them at the gym, but it's not the same since you have to frequently wait for equipment.

sitting on the floor of a completely empty house. the last of my belongings are piled in the back of my truck. supposed to be meeting my landlord to give back keys and get my security deposit. she's late, I'm bored, and I already packed the beer somewhere in the bed of the truck. sad face.

I'm gonna miss my little house. and having my own space.

I have an Afterglow wireless gaming headset, I've had it for about 3 months. Yesterday while I was using it, it shut off, so I figured the battery had died, plugged it in, forgot about it. Until today, when I go to use it and see that it isn't glowing like it usually does when it's charging... The only light is on the mic, which is blinking blue. Won't turn on completely, and I can't get the mic light to stop blinking. I hate electronics.

I have an Afterglow wireless gaming headset, I've had it for about 3 months. Yesterday while I was using it, it shut off, so I figured the battery had died, plugged it in, forgot about it. Until today, when I go to use it and see that it isn't glowing like it usually does when it's charging... The only light is on the mic, which is blinking blue. Won't turn on completely, and I can't get the mic light to stop blinking. I hate electronics.

Get some Turtle Beaches (I can't use my normal name for them, this forum wouldn't like that)

Get some Turtle Beaches (I can't use my normal name for them, this forum wouldn't like that)
Heh heh I can guess what the name would be ;)
Does Turtle Beach make wireless universal ones? When I was searching I found wired universal or wireless that were PC or 360, but not many wireless universal. I guess you get what you pay for, but when I originally put the Afterglow ones in my Amazon wishlist I was going to buy them myself so I was looking for something less expensive than Turtle Beach or Razer. Then my bf got them for my birthday. I like the lights although I look ridiculous with them on. I'll be super sad if they're broken forever :(

I like the Turtle Itches for their sound quality. And I haven't seen any wireless ones, but they do have a darn long wire on them. BF went from his room down a short hallway into the living room couch with them on.