RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So angry. Just got an email from my landlord informing me that I no longer have an apartment for next semester because they've decided to put the property on the market. This is especially infuriating because I turned down the chance to rent an awesome little cottage primarily because I thought it would be easier to return to my old place.

I now have just over a month to find a new apartment. That is not nearly enough time when you live 700 miles away.

Any chance you could contact that little cottage's owner and inform them of the situation? That's some serious BS, though. I'm so sorry.

If your vet school also is by a UG's campus, you may be able to get a place to rent that way. Sending good vibes your way. :)

Members don't see this ad.

So angry. Just got an email from my landlord informing me that I no longer have an apartment for next semester because they've decided to put the property on the market. This is especially infuriating because I turned down the chance to rent an awesome little cottage primarily because I thought it would be easier to return to my old place.

I now have just over a month to find a new apartment. That is not nearly enough time when you live 700 miles away.

Agh! :( And the cottage has been filled too. That really sucks BD, I would be so mad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Been staying w my mom temporarily before the big move to Gatorland in about a month and wow it's grating on me. Super thankful to have somewhere to crash snd spend time with her but I will be so much happier out on my own again. Loving being back around old friends and wish I could enjoy it more but I am counting the days. Oh well I'm halfway there!! And another bright side is not wanting to be here has me out running more :)

BD that's terrible I'm sorry!!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Kinda annoyed. Just turned 21 and every time I tell someone that I'm not doing anything special (AKA not going out drinking) they treat me like I'm a weirdo or something. I thought birthdays were about doing things you wanted to do not conforming to social pressures to get drunk just because it's expected. I just plan on relaxing, spending time with my family, and playing video games all day (things I will rarely get to do once I go back to school in August). I totally get wanting to have fun by going out to drink on your birthday if you enjoy drinking, but I don't drink so I feel there's no reason for me to suddenly do something I have never had any desire to do. Plus I live in a college town 9 months out of the year, if I ever want to go drinking I can go downtown any day of the week, 21 or not. Ughh.

I'm sorry BlackDog, that's a tough situation.

Kinda annoyed. Just turned 21 and every time I tell someone that I'm not doing anything special (AKA not going out drinking) they treat me like I'm a weirdo or something. I thought birthdays were about doing things you wanted to do not conforming to social pressures to get drunk just because it's expected. I just plan on relaxing, spending time with my family, and playing video games all day (things I will rarely get to do once I go back to school in August). I totally get wanting to have fun by going out to drink on your birthday if you enjoy drinking, but I don't drink so I feel there's no reason for me to suddenly do something I have never had any desire to do. Plus I live in a college town 9 months out of the year, if I ever want to go drinking I can go downtown any day of the week, 21 or not. Ughh.

On my 21st birthday, I had to work. I went to work, then when I got home I went out to a restaurant of my choice with my family. I had one margarita. Then we all went home and just relaxed. You definitely don't have to do anything extreme for your 21st birthday, do what makes you happy.

Eff them. There's nothing wrong with wanting to do what you enjoy on your birthday, and not what other people think you should do. I had class on my 21st and work the next day, so I treated myself to skipping my biochem lecture (probably not the best idea in the long run, but it is what it is), ordering some chinese food, and playing video games. I didn't drink either, still haven't since my birthday, and don't care to. I hope you have a good birthday, and just ignore the haters :D

Birthdays are for doing whatever you consider fun/relaxing. If that includes drinking, great. If not, great.
On my 21st, I spent about 6 hours in gen chem and then had to write a lab report that was due the next morning. To celebrate, I went to a fish restaurant and got one fancy mixed drink with dinner, and then played with my puppy a lot.

On my 21st birthday, I had to work. I went to work, then when I got home I went out to a restaurant of my choice with my family. I had one margarita. Then we all went home and just relaxed. You definitely don't have to do anything extreme for your 21st birthday, do what makes you happy.

Eff them. There's nothing wrong with wanting to do what you enjoy on your birthday, and not what other people think you should do. I had class on my 21st and work the next day, so I treated myself to skipping my biochem lecture (probably not the best idea in the long run, but it is what it is), ordering some chinese food, and playing video games. I didn't drink either, still haven't since my birthday, and don't care to. I hope you have a good birthday, and just ignore the haters :D

Birthdays are for doing whatever you consider fun/relaxing. If that includes drinking, great. If not, great.
On my 21st, I spent about 6 hours in gen chem and then had to write a lab report that was due the next morning. To celebrate, I went to a fish restaurant and got one fancy mixed drink with dinner, and then played with my puppy a lot.

Thanks everyone! Luckily I don't have biochem, gen chem, or work to worry about right now. Just happy not everyone thinks I am abnormal for just wanting a simple birthday :)

Reactions: 1 user
The past week has been very rough. I came home for "vacation" and to meet my twin neices for the first time.. But my second day home, all hell broke loose and all the family drama that has been going on while I've been away at school was laid out on a silver platter for me. I had no idea what was going on and my heart has been shattered and put in a blender.

My husband told me to leave and just come see him but flights were so expensive that I decided to stay here and just spend all of my time with my sis and the babies since that's why I wanted to come home in the first place. Now that my sister and the twins have left, the reality of the family drama is really setting in and I just can't wait to get out of here and back to my life in Missouri. I've also missed a week of PT for my knee and I feel like I'm getting worse.. I've been hurting all week mentally and physically and I just feel like I've wasted time coming down here. Time that I could have spent with my husband instead since I probably won't see him until January if I end up having to have surgery in August before school starts again..

I'm just ready to go home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grandfather's in the hospital--he had a fall a few weeks ago and has been going downhill ever since. Please keep him in your thoughts.

I'm tired of beating myself up constantly. Having doubts about making it to vet school, and even working with animals as a career. This is even though I know I can't see myself doing anything else! Ugh. I just wish I knew I could make it and it was simple. Going into ochem this year sure doesn't help. I scored top of my class in gen chem but I'm terrified of not understanding anything! ): I just want to know how to believe in myself more and not worry as much. I feel like everyone thinks I'm dumb, all the time. Ugh.

Took my kitten into the vet today about her eye, which as of this morning was no longer blood shot or squinty, but instead the pupil of her affected eye was slightly larger than the other. Since it was a last minute appointment I couldn't get in to see my regular vet and instead saw the freshly graduated just started working a couple days ago vet who was super distracted and flustered by the critical GDV case she'd been working on. I'm really frustrated by the fact that she didn't seem concerned about the pupils because she couldn't see the difference. Artemis's eyes were super dilated from anxiety about her trip to the vet, so the subtle but noticeable size difference I'd seen all morning was kind of obscured even to me, which I explained. So she was more or less rushed me out the door with: Didn't see any scratches or punctures with the stain, her pupils look fine to me, call me if anything changes. Oh, you mean like the fact that as I was driving home and the kitten calmed down, her pupils returned to normal size and magically appeared asymmetrical again, which was the whole reason I came to see you in the first place? I don't want to be too hard on the new grad vet, because I'm sure I'd be ridiculously nervous to the point where I forgot the technical term for pupil dilation too... but I really didn't have the time or money for a wasted trip to the vet, which is what today was. And now I still have to figure out what to do with my kitten and her inconveniently subtle eye problem before it develops into a conveniently obvious yet incredibly problematic one.

I'm tired of beating myself up constantly. Having doubts about making it to vet school, and even working with animals as a career. This is even though I know I can't see myself doing anything else! Ugh. I just wish I knew I could make it and it was simple. Going into ochem this year sure doesn't help. I scored top of my class in gen chem but I'm terrified of not understanding anything! ): I just want to know how to believe in myself more and not worry as much. I feel like everyone thinks I'm dumb, all the time. Ugh.
You scored top of your class in gen chem. I doubt anyone thinks you're dumb. :) And more importantly, you know you're not dumb. Just do your best in o-chem and the rest of your prereqs, and don't be afraid to go to the professor's office hours or your TA's office hours or tutoring/workshop time if your school offers that, if you need any help. O-chem is tough for a lot of people. And you never know, maybe you'll like it. :luck:

Took my kitten into the vet today about her eye, which as of this morning was no longer blood shot or squinty, but instead the pupil of her affected eye was slightly larger than the other. Since it was a last minute appointment I couldn't get in to see my regular vet and instead saw the freshly graduated just started working a couple days ago vet who was super distracted and flustered by the critical GDV case she'd been working on. I'm really frustrated by the fact that she didn't seem concerned about the pupils because she couldn't see the difference. Artemis's eyes were super dilated from anxiety about her trip to the vet, so the subtle but noticeable size difference I'd seen all morning was kind of obscured even to me, which I explained. So she was more or less rushed me out the door with: Didn't see any scratches or punctures with the stain, her pupils look fine to me, call me if anything changes. Oh, you mean like the fact that as I was driving home and the kitten calmed down, her pupils returned to normal size and magically appeared asymmetrical again, which was the whole reason I came to see you in the first place? I don't want to be too hard on the new grad vet, because I'm sure I'd be ridiculously nervous to the point where I forgot the technical term for pupil dilation too... but I really didn't have the time or money for a wasted trip to the vet, which is what today was. And now I still have to figure out what to do with my kitten and her inconveniently subtle eye problem before it develops into a conveniently obvious yet incredibly problematic one.
Anisocoria is the word. Take a pic at home and show your vet. My Artemis had it when someone was particularly rough on a jugular blood draw and it took ~72 hrs to disappear

I'm exhausted today - my friends texted me at 4:30 in the morning with their cat suddenly limping and asked me if they could use their other cat's medication and at what dose. They didn't mean to wake me (just wanted me to see the text in the morning). I'm still feeling like crap from this illness and woke up really dizzy. And now I have to see the crazy hamster lady with the hamster that probably infected me.

You scored top of your class in gen chem. I doubt anyone thinks you're dumb. :) And more importantly, you know you're not dumb. Just do your best in o-chem and the rest of your prereqs, and don't be afraid to go to the professor's office hours or your TA's office hours or tutoring/workshop time if your school offers that, if you need any help. O-chem is tough for a lot of people. And you never know, maybe you'll like it. :luck:

Thanks so much! :)

You'd like this. They suspect lymphocytic choriomeningitis from a hamster bite

:( I'm so sorry, that is really crazy

I'm the same way sometimes, I really can't see myself doing anything else but at times it feels as though I'm not cut out for it. You scored in the top of your class in gen chem, so obviously you are very smart! Sometimes you just have to go by what you know to be true and not what that doubtful voice in the back of your mind is always telling you. If it's any consolation I ended up doing much better in ochem than gen chem, plus since you are already good at basic chemistry you'll likely excel at ochem as well :)

I'm PO'd at my sister-in-law's response to her dog (whom she adopted with known dog aggression issues) running into and plowing down our 5 month old puppy from behind. He knocked the wind out of him and Cody (our puppy) couldn't walk right away and had two deep gauges in his hind foot from where her dog dug his nails into his foot as he was running him over. Her immediate response while we were checking Cody over was "well Murphy (her dog) didn't bite him or anything!" For eff sakes her dog mowed our dog over from behind while Cody was playing with another dog. No "sorry" or "is your dog who's not walking right now, okay?". Her second response when my SO yelled at her to take responsibility for her dog's obnoxious and acceptable behaviour was "Well, you knew Murphy was going to be here. Why would you bring Cody?". Are you effing serious? Firstly, all we knew of Murphy was that he had on leash aggression and figured she'd keep some sort of control over him. We were invited with our dogs by the home owner (because Cody and her dog play wonderfully together) and both of our dogs are excellent with all other dogs and gets along with everyone! It just seems irresponsible and selfish to expect everyone else to compensate for her dog's obnoxious behaviour. Apparently, we were supposed to leave our puppy at home in his kennel despite specifically being invited all because she has no control over her own dog and takes no responsibility for him harming other people's animals.

Im going to be homeless forever. why is everything reasonably priced such a crap hole? and wonder of wonders, its not even having dogs that is making house hunting difficult.... Its the need for parking for two trucks :/ All i want is something with at least one bedroom, a bathroom, a real kitchen, and some kind of dog walking area. OH, and something that doesnt smell like smoke, cat piss, or rotting death. and something that doesnt have blood stains on the carpet, and isnt affectionately know as "the heroin house" or "the meth lab". Is that too much to ask?

Guess its time to start re doing the budget and taking a few extra years to pay off loans.

So, somehow in the last 2 hours while I was outside working on my computer (which is a whopping 5 months old and has yet to be knocked on the floor by a cat, and oh yeah, ridiculously expensive), seated nice and gently and still on a table, something decided to go terribly wrong with the peice that connects the battery to the charger to the point where it wont't pass a charge through (I tried two chargers and neither worked) and I have 14% battery left. And a half done paper due tomorrow night. And another not even started yet paper due Monday. And I'm going to have to somehow write them on my ipad, which should be really fun since I'm constantly switching back and forth being websites, PDFs, and the word proceser. I'm feeling a bit totally f-ed right now.

Don't click if you don't like creepy crawly bugs!
image.jpg This just happened.....what the actual heck :eek:

Last edited:
I love that you put a pencil next to it for size comparison. Unless that already happened to be there.
Definitely there for size comparison! :wow: It really looked like a small snake when it was crawling around...ugh thank god it wasn't in my bedroom, I don't think I would have been able to sleep

Definitely there for size comparison! :wow: It really looked like a small snake when it was crawling around...ugh thank god it wasn't in my bedroom, I don't think I would have been able to sleep
When we lived in Hawaii we had so many of those. I hate them so much.

Don't click if you don't like creepy crawly bugs!
View attachment 183271 This just happened.....what the actual heck :eek:

I would have run away screaming. I've gotten better with spiders and the normal garden centipedes (although they still really freak me out) but that I could not deal with. And I'm heading to the Galapagos next week. I will probably cry if I encounter something like that. Give me cockroaches any day.

I don't know if this is really a rant but I'm not sure where else to put it. One of my really good friends who I love dearly just put down her 3 yo lab-Pyrenees mix because she was becoming dog aggressive. She had pretty much always been dog aggressive on a leash but recently got into a scuffle with her other dog and growled at her daughter. My friend works at a local vet clinic and euthanasia was suggested by everyone at the clinic. This upsets me greatly and I know it wasn't easy for her (she doesn't want to talk about it). I can't help but feel like she didn't try at all to re-home her to a place without other dogs or children. I did suggest this and I think it made her uncomfortable so I backed off. I really loved this dog and if I didn't have 3 of my own I would have offered to take her. My friend got her as a puppy so I can't figure out if she just didn't train her when she should have or if it was just her breed/personality. It just makes me very sad and little mad that euthanasia was the only advice given to her by an entire clinic.

I'm not going to confront her about this because I don't want to ruin our friendship. Just needed somewhere to dish.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I don't know if this is really a rant but I'm not sure where else to put it. One of my really good friends who I love dearly just put down her 3 yo lab-Pyrenees mix because she was becoming dog aggressive. She had pretty much always been dog aggressive on a leash but recently got into a scuffle with her other dog and growled at her daughter. My friend works at a local vet clinic and euthanasia was suggested by everyone at the clinic. This upsets me greatly and I know it wasn't easy for her (she doesn't want to talk about it). I can't help but feel like she didn't try at all to re-home her to a place without other dogs or children. I did suggest this and I think it made her uncomfortable so I backed off. I really loved this dog and if I didn't have 3 of my own I would have offered to take her. My friend got her as a puppy so I can't figure out if she just didn't train her when she should have or if it was just her breed/personality. It just makes me very sad and little mad that euthanasia was the only advice given to her by an entire clinic.

I'm not going to confront her about this because I don't want to ruin our friendship. Just needed somewhere to dish.

Im going to play devils advocate. It is hard to find homes for dogs that don't have any problems let alone ones that do, no matter how mild. Some hear growled at a child and think the next step is mauling that child to death. We as veterinarian professionals, technicians, students and generally educated animal people do know that many of these animals would do good in an alternative home or with proper training. Many others do not. Adopting out an animal that may have a problem and does eventually lash out at someone is a lawsuit waiting to happen, even if you fully disclose everything. People are so lawsuit happy these days and owners are terrified that it is going to come back and haunt them. Dogs with problems even mild ones are more likely to be abused, or turned out which puts them in a vicious cycle. There are way worse things out there than a humane death for an animal. Your friend made the right decision for herself and her dog, support her do not judge her.

Reactions: 1 users

Oh don't worry you're not weird at all. I spent my 21st bday doubled over in pain (turns out I had viral meningitis and mono at the same time), as my whole family went out for my bday dinner without me. That's how the cool kids do it.

This is so petty, sorry :\

I know that the majority of people that come through any given rotation probably don't know how to draw blood or place a catheter or restrain or whatever. That's -completely- OK. But I get frustrated when clinicians hover and start talking you through something assuming you're clueless - a few have asked, "Have you done this before?" which is awesome because then I can say, "Yep! I'm good with this." I have a lot of experience and I feel 100% comfortable placing a catheter on my own. Sure, I need to learn the little nuances of how you want me to do it, but I don't need you to walk me through step by step. There's no polite way to say, "Yes, I know" so I end up just smiling and nodding and doing what they tell me. Then I get a big "Good job!" at the end which pretty much feels like being praised for putting my shoes on the right feet. Sigh.

Im going to play devils advocate. It is hard to find homes for dogs that don't have any problems let alone ones that do, no matter how mild. Some hear growled at a child and think the next step is mauling that child to death. We as veterinarian professionals, technicians, students and generally educated animal people do know that many of these animals would do good in an alternative home or with proper training. Many others do not. Adopting out an animal that may have a problem and does eventually lash out at someone is a lawsuit waiting to happen, even if you fully disclose everything. People are so lawsuit happy these days and owners are terrified that it is going to come back and haunt them. Dogs with problems even mild ones are more likely to be abused, or turned out which puts them in a vicious cycle. There are way worse things out there than a humane death for an animal. Your friend made the right decision for herself and her dog, support her do not judge her.

I haven't voiced any of my concerns nor will I. She has been in the veterinary field for 5 years now so she is one of those people who should know that alternatives do work. I was hoping that she would make an effort to at least look for a home for her. I am the first person to realize that an aggressive animal has no place in our world when there are so many good deserving animals that need homes. From what I saw of the dog, she just needed proper training and a different home. It's just one of those cases I feel euthanasia wasn't necessary, but that's my opinion.

My friend is an intelligent caring person and I know this decision was difficult. I was just looking for some support from this community because I'm having a hard time with it.

I haven't voiced any of my concerns nor will I. She has been in the veterinary field for 5 years now so she is one of those people who should know that alternatives do work. I was hoping that she would make an effort to at least look for a home for her. I am the first person to realize that an aggressive animal has no place in our world when there are so many good deserving animals that need homes. From what I saw of the dog, she just needed proper training and a different home. It's just one of those cases I feel euthanasia wasn't necessary, but that's my opinion.

My friend is an intelligent caring person and I know this decision was difficult. I was just looking for some support from this community because I'm having a hard time with it.

I know you're looking for support, but sometimes euthanasia IS the right answer. Rehoming an aggressive dog is not really a good alternative. She's dog aggressive even with training it sounds like.

Absolutely no desire to do this take home test for equine neonatology which is due on the 15th. My brain has shut off for the summer and is not re-grasping this shunting vs mismatch stuff that I should remember from anesthesia.

I really wish my father would help support me. I feel like he doesn't really support me going to vet school and on top of that I have put myself through a RVT program and supported myself getting my BS by going to school full time and working full time while doing so. I am not the type to ask for handouts but I have a huge move in 20 days essentially going into the unknown. I've never lived outside of TX and I have never just not worked since I was 16. My last two paychecks are going to have to last me until my loans are dispersed and I'm not sure if that will even cover me. I need a little help monetarily with this move and I feel like anything he's offered to do never gets a follow through. Everything that I have done in preparation has been through me or THANKFULLY from my grandparents. I shouldn't be upset about this since it's been happening since I graduated high school and I'm fine with supporting myself, I'm just terrified that I won't get the financial aid I need to cover this move and other expenses. I hate to sound whiny especially about money and just needed to vent. The monetary support is not even the issue it's that I feel lack of support in this decision which has been a lifelong dream for me.

I got written up at work this week. :( (I work as an assistant at an SA clinic.) I don't want to go into detail both for privacy reasons and because I'm embarrassed, but long story short I tried to do too many things at once, and made a mistake that compromised a dog's health. I feel terrible about it, and I apologized profusely and had to go take a moment to cry after it happened (there were more dogs that needed walked, luckily, so I had an excuse to go outside), but the thing is no one had told me the extent of this dog's health issues, and I would have been much more careful with her if I'd known.

I've been working at this clinic for about 3.5 months now, so I've gotten used to the routine a lot more than when I first started. However, I'm not trying to blame anyone else for my mistake, but it seems like a lot of my recent mistakes are because things get lost in communication and I don't know what's expected of me. For example, no one tells me what's going on with certain hospitalized patients, and then I don't know how often to check on them or what to look for, and then I get chewed out because something got missed that shouldn't have. This one tech in particular seems to dislike me. I do everything she asks me to, I listen when she gives me instructions or corrections, and I try to apply those corrections and not make the same mistakes twice, but she still always seems annoyed with me. I don't know if I need to ask more questions so I know what's expected of me, or what.

It's especially disheartening because I worked at a different clinic before this one, and they loved me and trusted me to do a lot of things there. It was a smaller clinic, and I was the only college-age employee there, but I feel like I fit in a lot better there than at my current job. They only needed me during summers there, and I need a year-round job, so I can't go back, but I don't know if I'm struggling here because of clashing personalities/mindsets, or if this is a sign that I'm not cut out for vet med. :/ We have had quite a bit of employee turnover recently at this clinic, including a new vet, so I wonder if my training just wasn't as thorough as it should have been. I'm just scared because if another major incident like this week happens, I'll get fired, and I really need this job not just for the pay, but for the experience, and because I'm hoping to get an eLOR from one of the vets there within the next couple months.

Sorry for the long post, but well, this is the rant thread. I'm trying to just buckle down and apply myself and not let fear or a lack of confidence get the best of me, but any advice or encouragement would be appreciated.

I got written up at work this week. :( (I work as an assistant at an SA clinic.) I don't want to go into detail both for privacy reasons and because I'm embarrassed, but long story short I tried to do too many things at once, and made a mistake that compromised a dog's health. I feel terrible about it, and I apologized profusely and had to go take a moment to cry after it happened (there were more dogs that needed walked, luckily, so I had an excuse to go outside), but the thing is no one had told me the extent of this dog's health issues, and I would have been much more careful with her if I'd known.

I've been working at this clinic for about 3.5 months now, so I've gotten used to the routine a lot more than when I first started. However, I'm not trying to blame anyone else for my mistake, but it seems like a lot of my recent mistakes are because things get lost in communication and I don't know what's expected of me. For example, no one tells me what's going on with certain hospitalized patients, and then I don't know how often to check on them or what to look for, and then I get chewed out because something got missed that shouldn't have. This one tech in particular seems to dislike me. I do everything she asks me to, I listen when she gives me instructions or corrections, and I try to apply those corrections and not make the same mistakes twice, but she still always seems annoyed with me. I don't know if I need to ask more questions so I know what's expected of me, or what.

It's especially disheartening because I worked at a different clinic before this one, and they loved me and trusted me to do a lot of things there. It was a smaller clinic, and I was the only college-age employee there, but I feel like I fit in a lot better there than at my current job. They only needed me during summers there, and I need a year-round job, so I can't go back, but I don't know if I'm struggling here because of clashing personalities/mindsets, or if this is a sign that I'm not cut out for vet med. :/ We have had quite a bit of employee turnover recently at this clinic, including a new vet, so I wonder if my training just wasn't as thorough as it should have been. I'm just scared because if another major incident like this week happens, I'll get fired, and I really need this job not just for the pay, but for the experience, and because I'm hoping to get an eLOR from one of the vets there within the next couple months.

Sorry for the long post, but well, this is the rant thread. I'm trying to just buckle down and apply myself and not let fear or a lack of confidence get the best of me, but any advice or encouragement would be appreciated.

If things are getting missed repeatedly, maybe you should try to come up with a system so that notes can be made for everyone coming on to read or something. It will help not only you, but everyone else and the employees and management will respect you more for being proactive to make things better overall.

If things are getting missed repeatedly, maybe you should try to come up with a system so that notes can be made for everyone coming on to read or something. It will help not only you, but everyone else and the employees and management will respect you more for being proactive to make things better overall.
That's a really good idea, I'll have to come up with a way to suggest that. It's come up in staff meetings before that things need to be communicated better between the day and evening techs (I work in the evenings), but not much has really been done about it. Also part of the problem is they forget that I'm not familiar with all of the regular boarders/patients and their special needs yet like the techs who have been there for years are.

That's a really good idea, I'll have to come up with a way to suggest that. It's come up in staff meetings before that things need to be communicated better between the day and evening techs (I work in the evenings), but not much has really been done about it. Also part of the problem is they forget that I'm not familiar with all of the regular boarders/patients and their special needs yet like the techs who have been there for years are.
At the hospital where i work, we have cage cards for every animal that is staying with us where we write any special notes about them. The boarders also have sheets where we sign off when they are walked/fed/medicated. Hospitalized pets have treatment sheets on their charts where any medications, fluids, and special diet they're supposed to receive is written and we sign off on those too.

I think the cage cards at least would be a really good thing to implement. For example, we had a cat who was recovering from bladder repair surgery, and he couldn't have regular litter in his box because it was getting stuck in his catheter. So that was noted on his cage card. It really helps make sure that everyone knows what is going on with each animal.

Every clinic kind of does passing off of patients between shifts differently. One clinic I was at, you were placed on the schedule next to someone else (so an AM/PM person would be in the same slot), then that AM person would pass off any patients he/she had to the PM person in the same slot. Made it really easy to know who you had to discuss things with.

Another clinic had a mandatory 5ish minute swap shift "meeting" every day. We all would spend 5 minutes gathered in the treatment area of the clinic. If you were an AM person, you would explain your patient, what they were there for, medications, what else needed to be done with them, when owner's were coming, when owner's were last contacted, etc. Then someone on the PM shift would volunteer to take over each of your cases. Also, cases were aimed to be spread out among employees as evenly as possible when doing the shift change meeting. We also had an electronic white board which showed what treatments had been done and were needing to be done. This meeting also allowed for everyone in the clinic to know what each patient was there for. Even if you were not the tech on that particular case, you knew about it enough that you could assist, do treatments or talk to the owners, if needed.

At the hospital where i work, we have cage cards for every animal that is staying with us where we write any special notes about them. The boarders also have sheets where we sign off when they are walked/fed/medicated. Hospitalized pets have treatment sheets on their charts where any medications, fluids, and special diet they're supposed to receive is written and we sign off on those too.

I think the cage cards at least would be a really good thing to implement. For example, we had a cat who was recovering from bladder repair surgery, and he couldn't have regular litter in his box because it was getting stuck in his catheter. So that was noted on his cage card. It really helps make sure that everyone knows what is going on with each animal.
We do have cage cards for checking off when dogs are walked, if they urinated or passed stool, and checking off when animals are medicated, or if they aren't eating. We also mark on the cage cards what medications they get and if they have a special diet, and we have a meds sheet where we check off each individual medication as it's given. However, it's the details that sometimes not everyone gets filled in on. It's one thing for me to know that an animal gets X medications at X time, but if I don't know what those medications are for, or what specific issues I need to watch for with that animal, it becomes difficult. Today we had a cat recovering from a declaw who was chewing at her paws, and I didn't know so I didn't think to check on her all that often, and the tech I mentioned chewed me out because the cat was bleeding and I didn't notice. :oops:

We do have cage cards for checking off when dogs are walked, if they urinated or passed stool, and checking off when animals are medicated, or if they aren't eating. We also mark on the cage cards what medications they get and if they have a special diet, and we have a meds sheet where we check off each individual medication as it's given. However, it's the details that sometimes not everyone gets filled in on. It's one thing for me to know that an animal gets X medications at X time, but if I don't know what those medications are for, or what specific issues I need to watch for with that animal, it becomes difficult. Today we had a cat recovering from a declaw who was chewing at her paws, and I didn't know so I didn't think to check on her all that often, and the tech I mentioned chewed me out because the cat was bleeding and I didn't notice. :oops:

Reason the animal is in the hospital should be the first thing discussed. Even if there is not a diagnosis. Something along the lines of, "Fluffy is here for a 2 day history of vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and inappetence."

Should be really easy to add to the cage card: "Declaw" "OHE" "Neuter" "Hospitalized" (in this case the patient chart should have more info to what has been going on).

All of the patients where I worked had to have a cage card that included: Name (both first and last, nothing more frustrating than 2 Coco's that no one knows who is who) and reason for visit. We also included any personal belongings that were brought with so they would not be forgotten. All personal belongings were to be placed in a bag or taped together and the owner's last name put on the bag or the tape.

Every clinic kind of does passing off of patients between shifts differently. One clinic I was at, you were placed on the schedule next to someone else (so an AM/PM person would be in the same slot), then that AM person would pass off any patients he/she had to the PM person in the same slot. Made it really easy to know who you had to discuss things with.

Another clinic had a mandatory 5ish minute swap shift "meeting" every day. We all would spend 5 minutes gathered in the treatment area of the clinic. If you were an AM person, you would explain your patient, what they were there for, medications, what else needed to be done with them, when owner's were coming, when owner's were last contacted, etc. Then someone on the PM shift would volunteer to take over each of your cases. Also, cases were aimed to be spread out among employees as evenly as possible when doing the shift change meeting. We also had an electronic white board which showed what treatments had been done and were needing to be done. This meeting also allowed for everyone in the clinic to know what each patient was there for. Even if you were not the tech on that particular case, you knew about it enough that you could assist, do treatments or talk to the owners, if needed.
That sounds much more organized than how we do things. :/ The day techs have often already left when I get there, and if they haven't, they may or may not think (or have time) to tell me or another of the evening techs any special instructions for patients. Patients aren't really assigned to an individual tech, everyone is just supposed to keep an eye on everyone. There are usually three techs working at all times; one assisting with one doctor's appointments, the other assisting the other doctor (we have three doctors at the clinic, but only two working at a time), and the third in the back cleaning. The other two help in the back whenever they have time. But if I'm helping in the back and no one went over any special care instructions with me, I kind of get screwed sometimes.