RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last week I got into an accident and completely totaled my car. While I sustained minor injuries that required me to go to the ER, I'm finding the real problem to be happening now. Every night since the wreck I have had a nightmare about wrecking again, and I wake up in a panic while gasping and drenched in sweat. I really wish it would go away, because it's starting to affect the amount of sleep I'm getting, not to mention it's making me an absolute panicked mess whenever I drive my replacement vehicle.

Ugh. And here I thought anatomy stress dreams were bad....

Last week I got into an accident and completely totaled my car. While I sustained minor injuries that required me to go to the ER, I'm finding the real problem to be happening now. Every night since the wreck I have had a nightmare about wrecking again, and I wake up in a panic while gasping and drenched in sweat. I really wish it would go away, because it's starting to affect the amount of sleep I'm getting, not to mention it's making me an absolute panicked mess whenever I drive my replacement vehicle.

You will have plenty of people that have gone through this here to offer some thoughts. :( I am sure you are about to be virtual hugged until it hurts!

I personally haven't gone through this trauma, but feel the empathy with those that have, so here's your first hug!
images

Members don't see this ad :)

It takes a while to go away. I recommend talking to someone. Hope things get better.

I was in a bad car accident in the beginning of January. I still have nightmares..I had one last night. They are never the same, though. It's always a different situation, and always my fault. (My accident was a single car accident). It usually wakes me up. I would also wake up sweating, but that went away a few months ago. I will usually wake up, go pee (I have the smallest bladder), get a drink of water, and just lay back down and try to get back to sleep. Some nights I can fully fall back asleep, and there are other nights that I just drift in and out until my alarm goes off. On nights that my SO is laying next to me I am usually able to calm down faster and fall asleep- must just be the feeling that I know I am safe. Maybe if you can make yourself feel more comfortable (more blankets, heating pad, etc), or safer (sleep with a hammer under your bed like me hehe, open/close your bedroom door), you might be able to calm down faster and get back to sleep.

Last edited:
:boom:
computer issues. computer wont charge anymore and it doesnt seem to be a battery or power cord issue. silly thing is, my warranty covers someone coming to my house to fix the issue! problem? i am gone 12 hours a day and will likely never be home or able to be home during normal business hours until after i graduate (before i start working). so frustrating!!! and i cant even possibly begin to imagine asking my current attending if i could have a few hours off to get this taken care of. my roommate wont be home either. i essentially have no friends in raleigh to ask for help, they are all in vet school too. stressful :(

:boom:
computer issues. computer wont charge anymore and it doesnt seem to be a battery or power cord issue. silly thing is, my warranty covers someone coming to my house to fix the issue! problem? i am gone 12 hours a day and will likely never be home or able to be home during normal business hours until aftergraduate (before i start working). so frustrating!!! and i cant even possibly begin to imagine asking my current attending if i could have a few hours off to get this taken care of. my roommate wont be home either. i essentially have no friends in raleigh to ask for help, they are all in vet school too. stressful :(
I had a similar problem to that--ended up being a motherboard issue (the comp would be plugged in with a new cord and new battery but wouldn't hold a charge). HTH.

@Lupin21 , @dyachei , and @psilovethomas , thank you for your advice and thoughts. :) I will definitely have to try a few of sleep tips, I would be willing to try just about anything to try to get some of my sleep back.

The hardest thing for me (besides losing sleep) is how different it is driving. I am usually a very calm driver and I was very comfortable driving in large cities or for long periods of time... but now I jump at the littlest things and seem to drive with my hands clenched and heart racing. I'm hoping this will eventually go away with time as well.

@Lupin21 , @dyachei , and @psilovethomas , thank you for your advice and thoughts. :) I will definitely have to try a few of sleep tips, I would be willing to try just about anything to try to get some of my sleep back.

The hardest thing for me (besides losing sleep) is how different it is driving. I am usually a very calm driver and I was very comfortable driving in large cities or for long periods of time... but now I jump at the littlest things and seem to drive with my hands clenched and heart racing. I'm hoping this will eventually go away with time as well.
It will. I find that at 13 months out I don't do that nearly as often. I was t-boned turning left so I still have some anxiety when I'm turning left on busy roads, but it's nowhere near what it used to be.

Almost got killed AGAIN by a horse today. Why do all the neigh neighs hate me? :( :( :( (I didn't do anything wrong...trust me, I've asked!) On the plus side, I'm still alive!

Reactions: 2 users
Almost got killed AGAIN by a horse today. Why do all the neigh neighs hate me? :( :( :( (I didn't do anything wrong...trust me, I've asked!) On the plus side, I'm still alive!
because horses have 2 missions in life: "homicide and suicide" (i forget what professor said that)

Reactions: 10 users
because horses have 2 missions in life: "homicide and suicide" (i forget what professor said that)
Whoa, one of my classmates (who went to SGU) told me this same quote two days ago. I think he said an anatomic pathologist told him that, if that helps you remember where you heard it. He told me who, but it wasn't someone I knew so I have already forgotten.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa, one of my classmates (who went to SGU) told me this same quote two days ago. I think he said an anatomic pathologist told him that, if that helps you remember where you heard it. He told me who, but it wasn't someone I knew so I have already forgotten.
hahaha yeah i'm thinking it was the visiting pathologist from auburn. same guy who said horses go to the glue factory, cows go to mcdonalds...

8 AM exams are just mean...especially when you had class until 7:30 the night before...and I slept weird so now my neck hurts if I look in a certain direction.

Took the car into the shop this morning because of a grinding noise, figured it was the brakes or something. Not only was I right, but it's brakes, rotors, calipers, a wheel bearing, a small power steering leak, and two top radiator leaks. Totaling at $1300.

8 AM exams are just mean...especially when you had class until 7:30 the night before...and I slept weird so now my neck hurts if I look in a certain direction.

My neck has hurt so bad the past two days. Can't turn my head to the right. Been driving in the right lane only so at least I don't have to worry as much about people in my blind spot!

Woke up to find something on the inside of my hip/pelvis area hurting horribly. Walking is not fun. Bending my leg up to put socks/shoes on is impossible. I have no idea where this came from. Because being sick for 5 weeks straight with 3-4 different illnesses wasn't enough. WTF?

Woke up to find something on the inside of my hip/pelvis area hurting horribly. Walking is not fun. Bending my leg up to put socks/shoes on is impossible. I have no idea where this came from. Because being sick for 5 weeks straight with 3-4 different illnesses wasn't enough. WTF?
Maybe you should take it a little bit more easy in the sac ;)

I slept 4 hours last night- 7am to 11. Ugh..I just want to get a full night's rest..

Maybe you should take it a little bit more easy in the sac ;)

I slept 4 hours last night- 7am to 11. Ugh..I just want to get a full night's rest..
Well, it was a bit of a rough night, haha. My upstairs neighbors decided to make the floor squeak repetitively at 2:30am, if you know what I mean.

Well, it was a bit of a rough night, haha. My upstairs neighbors decided to make the floor squeak repetitively at 2:30am, if you know what I mean.
Ah, yes. I dealt with that last year. I moved to the top floor over the summer. Very glad I did. However, I feel bad for my neighbor below me because I walk like an elephant (I try to be conscientious about this). At least my boyfriend only visits every so often...so they have that going for them.

I don't know why our financial aid office decided to suck at life this year but they've been screwing up everyone's loans. I still apparently owe a good chunk of change - it doesn't look like they've given me the other half of what I'm supposed to get this semester? - and I'm panicking because I can't get a transcript if I owe anything. Totally how I wanted my weekend to go, plus rotation homework packets of doom, cleaning and a million other things to deal with. My brain feels perilously close to melting.

I was so excited about my new camera (!!!) but then it was THE WRONG COLOR. Which wouldn't be that big a deal except that I was assured I was getting a black one...if you told me it's red that's one thing, but if I can get a black one I want a black one! And now it's going to be a pain to sort out... And it's even more frustrating since I can't do anything about it right now.

Got a bill for a visit to Patient First that my insurance company told me would be covered. Best part is that the issue date says 9/10/14 but I owe almost $200 by the 25th and since it was sent to my parents' house, I just got it today. Insurance company is getting a very angry phone call tomorrow. I have the name/date and time of when I spoke to them and I explicitly told them what the visit was for and that it wasn't an emergency visit so I wanted to see if it would be covered. Then the billing of the Patient First is getting an annoyed call about how I should be given more than 15 days to come up with ~$200 and to let them know that I've been talking with my insurance provider.

To top it off, I'm annoyed about the number of things I have due tomorrow (that aren't all done), how far behind I am in studying for a test on Tuesday and over a horrible listing on craigslist about a guy giving away his dog for free after trying to dump him in random locations and the dog kept coming back.

My sweet, sweet boy has a soft tissue sarcoma. I want to cry for days. It's low grade, so I have a bit of time to try and scrape together enough money to pay for the surgery...school is already stressful enough.

**** cancer. :arghh:

My sweet, sweet boy has a soft tissue sarcoma. I want to cry for days. It's low grade, so I have a bit of time to try and scrape together enough money to pay for the surgery...school is already stressful enough.

I'm so sorry epi :(

My former landlord withheld over $100 from my security deposit for carpet cleaning and a new furnace filter. Yet, I already had and paid for the carpets to be cleaned when I moved out. And I put in a new furnace filter the day I moved out too. I want to contest this because it's BS, but I'm scared she's going to just steamroll over my objections.

My former landlord withheld over $100 from my security deposit for carpet cleaning and a new furnace filter. Yet, I already had and paid for the carpets to be cleaned when I moved out. And I put in a new furnace filter the day I moved out too. I want to contest this because it's BS, but I'm scared she's going to just steamroll over my objections.
do you have receipts?

Gahhhh!
My dog destroyed the wall near my front door today while I was at school taking my Anatomy practical. I took him outside and he immediately went and had pure liquid diarrhea. I'm guessing he picked up a virus when I took him to the dog park a few days ago (though he hasn't vomited and is eating/drinking normally).
Normally I hate going to dog parks, but a friend was bringing her dog too, so I thought I would for once.
Never again. I'll just socialize elsewhere.
He's done this before when he's tried to get outside when feeling ill (he actually jumped through the screen of a first-story window a few years back to avoid going in the house (also, not something I instilled in him; I adopted him and he's always been like that)).
I'm upset, but I can't be for long. It's not his fault, but ugghhhh! Now I have to drywall and try to match the paint :/ Plus do something about the doorframe eventually because that will not look great when I sell the place in a few years.

So I know roommate issues are a rant as old as time, but I'm at my wit's end with mine. We met my sophomore year of undergrad, her freshman year, as randomly assigned roommates in the dorms, and ironically we became best friends. We're both kind of quirky and socially awkward and we have a lot of common interests, so it wasn't long before other girls on our floor were mistaking us for sisters or cousins. The next year I got an apartment by myself while she lived in the dorms again, but the year after that (last year) we got an apartment together, and last year was great for the most part. We hung out less than before, but I attributed it to us both having boyfriends and being busier with school, and we still got along great. However, things changed this summer.

She's a double major, one of which is theater education, so this summer she took a job doing tech for our school's summer theater series, which apparently totally sucked. She was working probably 50 hours a week and apparently getting paid way less than minimum wage, often having to stay until the wee hours of the morning and come in early, having to deal with demanding actors, etc. I felt for her, but she started totally shutting me out. She would come home pissed at the world, not even say hi to me, stomp to her room and slam the door and barely come out. She pretty much totally stopped hanging out with me and most of our other friends, but she would still make time to hang out with her theater friends. She didn't even acknowledge my graduation or my birthday. It was like anyone who didn't understand her terrible job wasn't worth talking to.

I hoped that things would get better once she was done with that job, but when she was she went home for two weeks before classes started back up for her, and when she came back it was like nothing had changed. She's still constantly miserable, stressed out, and grouching around the apartment like a black cloud. She never talks to me anymore except to say things like "could you wash your dishes?" or "my parents will be in town this weekend." Whenever I do try to talk to her, she argues or shuts down whatever I have to say, and she gets annoyed with me about the stupidest things. My boyfriend has noticed that she's started treating him and our friends like crap too, so it's not just that she's sick of me. I get that she's busy and has a lot on her plate with her senior year, but it's like the bad mood has to end at some point. Whenever I'm at the apartment, I dread that she'll come home and skulk around judging everything do, and I'm constantly on edge that she'll decide I've done something wrong. It's obvious that she resents the fact that I'm not in school right now, so I can just go to work and come home and relax, but it's not like this was my choice. I'm still adjusting, and I'm doing my best to fill my time with productive things, which includes doing everything I can to get into vet school this time. I don't know where to even begin with talking to her, and I don't want to make things worse.

Also I did have my cat (pictured in my avatar) living here, but I had to give her back to my parents when our first lease was up in June because my roommate decided she was bothering her asthma/allergies too much. At the time continuing to live here sounded better than moving back to my parents' (they only live a half hour from here) or trying to find a place on my own again, but now I regret giving up my cat if this is what I'll have to live with until June. Overall, I'm just sad that I've pretty much lost my best friend. I wouldn't even consider us friends anymore. I know they say it's a bad idea to live with your best friend, but I never would have thought this would happen to us. :/ Sorry for the super-long post, I just needed to vent.

Sounds like you need to sit her down and explain your concerns. You can approach it from a you are worried about her standpoint but living like that til June will wear on you too

On Sunday evening my upstairs neighbor came down to curse at me and threaten me about my parking. I emailed the landlord twice since then asking if I could change my spot since I'm legitimately worried about what he might do and I've had no response yet. Now I feel like I can't use the parking spot I paid for because I'm seriously afraid he'll come back to my apartment and hurt me. He seriously looked like he was going to hit me last time. On the plus side I guess it's only 8 months of parking on the street.

So sorry.
On Sunday evening my upstairs neighbor came down to curse at me and threaten me about my parking. I emailed the landlord twice since then asking if I could change my spot since I'm legitimately worried about what he might do and I've had no response yet. Now I feel like I can't use the parking spot I paid for because I'm seriously afraid he'll come back to my apartment and hurt me. He seriously looked like he was going to hit me last time. On the plus side I guess it's only 8 months of parking on the street.

If the landlord won't respond, you should involve the police by dialing 911 immediately the next time he threatens you.

do you have receipts?

I do not; my mom rented the cleaner for me because I was at class that morning. I did pay her back for it, so I have a check stub but that's it. And the new furnace filter was also "purchased" from my parents; they had a spare that happened to be the right size for my furnace. I did have a phone conversation with my landlord, in which she told me I could do the carpets myself to save money, and I agreed that's what I would do. Maybe she doesn't remember the conversation?

I do not; my mom rented the cleaner for me because I was at class that morning. I did pay her back for it, so I have a check stub but that's it. And the new furnace filter was also "purchased" from my parents; they had a spare that happened to be the right size for my furnace. I did have a phone conversation with my landlord, in which she told me I could do the carpets myself to save money, and I agreed that's what I would do. Maybe she doesn't remember the conversation?
Maybe. But the check stub should be enough to prove you had it done. And you can always have your parents write up a receipt.

Reactions: 1 user
Had "one of those days". Too much to do, and I couldn't seem to do anything right. On the bright side, getting out later meant the squat rack in the gym was actually free for once.

I finished my VMCAS, went over it with a fine-toothed comb, had ANOTHER person do the same...and I found a mistake in my coursework right after submitting it!!!! My $2000 has gone to waste :(

I finished my VMCAS, went over it with a fine-toothed comb, had ANOTHER person do the same...and I found a mistake in my coursework right after submitting it!!!! My $2000 has gone to waste :(
I don't think a small mistake would cause $2,000 to go to waste. Just e-mail your schools and say "hey, there's a small mistake on my application, here's the correct version."

I don't think a small mistake would cause $2,000 to go to waste. Just e-mail your schools and say "hey, there's a small mistake on my application, here's the correct version."
Do you really think so? It's a mistake in the course title.

Easy there...typos crop up all of the time. If it's a significant mistake, just email your schools. If not, leave it and relax :)
I think it's big enough that I should. It says "Survey" instead of "Survey of English Literature." Should I just send it to their admissions emails?

this is not a major issue. it will be ok
I'd disagree, since some schools have an upper-level english class as a prereq. If it were me I'd send a few e-mails to ease my paranoia.

I'd disagree, since some schools have an upper-level english class as a prereq. If it were me I'd send a few e-mails to ease my paranoia.
I just meant that in the grand scheme of things, if this is the biggest error on your VMCAS, you will be fine. I didn't say she shouldn't email them

it's not like you aren't sending in a transcript as well
Yeah, but I thought if they don't match the coursework, you're out. LSU specifically mentions that errors in coursework disqualify a lot of people.

Who requires upper-level literature? I didn't notice any of that.

I have been told by multiple schools that typos are not a big deal at all. They expect that to happen sometimes even with the best of editing and reviewing. With an application that big, the chances of missing a typo increases significantly. It is not a big deal.