RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait.. what? Where did you see this?

It's on her Facebook page and website.

I just saw some behavior focused classmates posting about it as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Came here to post the exact same thing... major blow to low stress handling and widespread increase in knowledge about behavioral medicine in general. :c

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Professors should not be allowed to use a million abbreviations in their lectures especially if they're not defined at their first use. I shouldn't have to use your 4 page handout defining the abbreviations to decipher your notes.

I know it sounds horrible, but I wish my bird was acting miserable right now. It would make making the decision to euthanize her so much easier. Her abdomen is getting fuller and harder day by day and I know soon she's going to be completely obstructed, so I know what I need to do. But she's still so bright and engaged, and gets so excited every time she sees or hears me, even more so than usual because I've been doting on her so much and giving her so many treats. Every time I think about taking her in to the vet, I think about how excited she'll get when I approach her cage that final time, expecting just another quick cuddle and some treats, not knowing she's going to her death, and I feel somehow like I'm betraying her. It's so stupid. :confused:
You know, if someone had told the me of 3 years ago that someday I'd be this deeply attached to a pigeon, I would have thought they were crazy. Or if they'd said I'd be this into birds, for that matter. And I owe it all to a hawk with a parasite who pooped in the wrong place. Funny how these things happen.

RIP Dr. Sophia Yin :( So blessed to have had the opportunity to work with her last year when she came to OSU. She will be truly missed.

I've been stunned about this all day. I'm so thrilled that I had the chance to work with her over the past couple years and so devastated for her parents, friends, employees, and Jonesy. Such a major loss for animals everywhere.

I know it sounds horrible, but I wish my bird was acting miserable right now. It would make making the decision to euthanize her so much easier. Her abdomen is getting fuller and harder day by day and I know soon she's going to be completely obstructed, so I know what I need to do. But she's still so bright and engaged, and gets so excited every time she sees or hears me, even more so than usual because I've been doting on her so much and giving her so many treats. Every time I think about taking her in to the vet, I think about how excited she'll get when I approach her cage that final time, expecting just another quick cuddle and some treats, not knowing she's going to her death, and I feel somehow like I'm betraying her. It's so stupid. :confused:
You know, if someone had told the me of 3 years ago that someday I'd be this deeply attached to a pigeon, I would have thought they were crazy. Or if they'd said I'd be this into birds, for that matter. And I owe it all to a hawk with a parasite who pooped in the wrong place. Funny how these things happen.

I don't know much about birds dovelover but can your decision wait until she is telling you it's time? It's a hard decision to make regardless but maybe you can spend those extra few days with her that she's excited to see you and she will tell you when she's ready. Again I'm sorry and my thoughts are with you during this tough time :(

I know it's such a hard decision dovelover. There's something about pigeons and doves that just really gets me. I know she's not making the decision easy for you by still looking happy, but sometimes it's better to let them go with a little dignity and without having to feel crummy. You've taken such good care of her.

Came here to post the exact same thing... major blow to low stress handling and widespread increase in knowledge about behavioral medicine in general. :c

Very sad- I've now read 2 separate articles stating that Dr Yin presumably took her own life :(

Very sad- I've now read 2 separate articles stating that Dr Yin presumably took her own life :(
I can confirm this. Please, if you or someone you know is contemplating suicide, reach out for help.

I still couldn't believe what happened to Dr Yin.... such a loss and it really strokes me. Has been depressed by this news for few days.

Why is writing one supplemental so freaking difficult?! -sigh-

Members don't see this ad :)
I know which one you mean, and I'm in the same boat.
I just know I'm not going to have time before 1 tomorrow, so I have to finish it before bed. This is one time I'd rather talk about myself.

I just know I'm not going to have time before 1 tomorrow, so I have to finish it before bed. This is one time I'd rather talk about myself.
Yeah, I'm going to try to finish it tonight so I don't have to rush in the morning. I thought my diversity statement for Florida would be so much more difficult, but I had it done weeks before the deadline!

Yeah, I'm going to try to finish it tonight so I don't have to rush in the morning. I thought my diversity statement for Florida would be so much more difficult, but I had it done weeks before the deadline!
Well I just submitted mine. My sleepy brain can't tell me if that was a good idea or not, but I answered the questions in the prompt and it's out of my hands now. Along with $60.
Second rant: What is it with supplemental application fees?

My boyfriend is currently applying for undergrad (he's not younger than me, he just didn't go to college straight out of high school and is currently finishing up at community college) and he was complaining about application fees tonight, and I was like "you don't get to talk." :p

Well I just submitted mine. My sleepy brain can't tell me if that was a good idea or not, but I answered the questions in the prompt and it's out of my hands now. Along with $60.
UF - $30
UTK - $45
NCSU - $60
Penn - $75

What gets me is that Penn's supplemental is the shortest and least involved of them all

Why in the world did I decide to back up my phone at this time of night? :confused:

It seems like easy money for the schools. Tens of thousands of extra dollars depending on the size of the applicant pool.

Do schools get a cut of the VMCAS application fees? That's something I always wondered.

I can't find my neurobio binder with all my notes, and the exam is tonight. It's not in my apartment, car, work, library, the school's lost and found. I feel like crying.

I can't find my neurobio binder with all my notes, and the exam is tonight. It's not in my apartment, car, work, library, the school's lost and found. I feel like crying.

It will be okay. :D

I found a KA series on advanced nervous system physiology: http://www.khanacademy.org/science/health-and-medicine/nervous-system-and-sensory-infor
There's another one on brain functions: http://www.khanacademy.org/science/health-and-medicine/executive systems of the brain
Also, I found an overview on MITCourseware on YouTube:

I hope that helps! Try getting in touch with someone in there if you can. The above are all videos and they may help a little, but I don't know what you're testing on.

Last edited:
UF - $30
UTK - $45
NCSU - $60
Penn - $75

What gets me is that Penn's supplemental is the shortest and least involved of them all

I'm convinced that the less there is for their supplemental, the greater their additional application fee. This all based on UMN's $85 (I think, this is from waay back in 2012 when I was applying) supplemental fee with NO supplemental application. Doesn't make sense, but what can you do? :shrug: Though I do think they ran their admissions stuff really well, just seemed silly at the time.

EDIT: Found it in my micro classroom!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm convinced that the less there is for their supplemental, the greater their additional application fee. This all based on UMN's $85 (I think, this is from waay back in 2012 when I was applying) supplemental fee with NO supplemental application. Doesn't make sense, but what can you do? :shrug: Though I do think they ran their admissions stuff really well, just seemed silly at the time.
I think it's because they're doing more of the work for you by not making you fill out a supplemental.

I think it's because they're doing more of the work for you by not making you fill out a supplemental.
In all honesty if all the schools wanted to charge me $75 for a supplement and in exchange I wouldn't have to fill out prerequisite course forms 4 times...I might be ok with it

I wonder if the schools could take specific information straight from the VMCAS instead of us filling out more forms. Like Purdue has a course verification form. Wouldn't courses be verified through the VMCAS verification process?

I wonder if the schools could take specific information straight from the VMCAS instead of us filling out more forms. Like Purdue has a course verification form. Wouldn't courses be verified through the VMCAS verification process?
Supplementals like that make sense to me, because it allows you to point out exactly which courses you intend to fulfill the prerequisites, rather than them having to hunt through all your coursework and maybe miss something that's not obviously named. There are other supplementals that are very repetitive from VMCAS, though. So what dovelover is saying is that if schools don't have a supplemental or have a shorter supplemental, they have to find/pull more of your information from VMCAS themselves -- you're paying for them to do the work for you. But Purdue's supplemental is very simple and free, while Florida's was the most involved one I had this year, and it was $30, cheaper than any of the others I had with fees. So that correlation is weak if it does exist.

It has never made sense to me that we have to fill out those forms when they have access to our transcripts AND VMCAS coursework lists. I'm sure they go back and look through the courses to make sure they match up with our transcripts anyway, so why can't they figure out the prereqs themselves?

I am not sure I understand this.

They are doing more work for you by not making you fill out a supplemental? That seems to not make much sense to me.
What I mean is that most of the supplementals I filled out made you do things like listing which of your courses fulfilled their prerequisites, as well as re-enter a lot of the info from VMCAS organized in a way they wanted to see it in. If they choose not make us do that, they have to take the time to organize the information how they want to. But I'm just speculating. Who really knows why they do things the way they do.

What I mean is that most of the supplementals I filled out made you do things like listing which of your courses fulfilled their prerequisites, as well as re-enter a lot of the info from VMCAS organized in a way they wanted to see it in. If they choose not make us do that, they have to take the time to organize the information how they want to. But I'm just speculating. Who really knows why they do things the way they do.

I see what you are saying now. I just wasn't sure at first because I was just thinking of the supplementals where all you put is your name, maybe parent info, answer an essay or two and that is it. I am thinking... doesn't that make more work for them? Having to go through two applications.

But that makes more sense now if you are putting classes and things in how they want to see it, then it might save them some time.

I still largely think it is another money making endeavor from the vet schools. Especially, I think it was Penn, where the supplemental was name, address, and how many experience hours do you have? I think it was $75 for that supplemental to provide what was easily found on VMCAS. :rolleyes:

I see what you are saying now. I just wasn't sure at first because I was just thinking of the supplementals where all you put is your name, maybe parent info, answer an essay or two and that is it. I am thinking... doesn't that make more work for them? Having to go through two applications.

But that makes more sense now if you are putting classes and things in how they want to see it, then it might save them some time.

I still largely think it is another money making endeavor from the vet schools. Especially, I think it was Penn, where the supplemental was name, address, and how many experience hours do you have? I think it was $75 for that supplemental to provide what was easily found on VMCAS. :rolleyes:
Yeah, Penn's took me all of 10 minutes. The only thing on there that they maybe wouldn't have known from VMCAS was your primary interest and how many hours you had in it.

Yeah, Penn's took me all of 10 minutes. The only thing on there that they maybe wouldn't have known from VMCAS was your primary interest and how many hours you had in it.

Yeah, true. I guess someone could be primarily interested in horses and have only 50 hours with them but 5,000 hours with small animals, doubt it though.

Also interests change in vet school. So primary interest before entering vet school is almost pointless. Just my opinion.

Yeah, true. I guess someone could be primarily interested in horses and have only 50 hours with them but 5,000 hours with small animals, doubt it though.

Also interests change in vet school. So primary interest before entering vet school is almost pointless. Just my opinion.
Yeah the primary interest thing was really bothering me. I am very interested in zoo medicine but i have more than double the hours in private practice because it was a lot easier to get the hours there than in a zoo. And apparently I'm unlucky because the zoos in both of the areas I live in don't allow volunteers to work in the hospital, so the rest of my zoo experience is animal hours. The only reason I have any zoo experience at all is because of the National Aviary.

Yeah the primary interest thing was really bothering me. I am very interested in zoo medicine but i have more than double the hours in private practice because it was a lot easier to get the hours there than in a zoo. And apparently I'm unlucky because the zoos in both of the areas I live in don't allow volunteers to work in the hospital, so the rest of my zoo experience is animal hours. The only reason I have any zoo experience at all is because of the National Aviary.

FWIW, I was originally interested in zoo when I applied my first time to Penn and had like no zoo vet hours (probably only animal experience actually since I was an intern zoo keeper) and I still interviewed and was wait listed mainly for my lack of hours all around. I don't think it's necessarily a deal breaker or anything. Probably more just for their numbers to see what students are interested in. Just speculation though.

I'm not sure how to feel right now.

My labs are 0 credits at my institution; which wouldn't be an issue since my lectures are 4 credits a pop. But I don't see them anywhere on my online transcript. If I get bad news at the registrar's, I might cry.

I should have a BIOL 111 lab, both semesters of Gen Chem, and my Orgo I lab, and I don't see them anywhere on my transcript. Not even on the "grades per term" folder. I took the Organic one and the others should have been included with the AP credits. :cryi:

I'm not sure how to feel right now.

My labs are 0 credits at my institution; which wouldn't be an issue since my lectures are 4 credits a pop. But I don't see them anywhere on my online transcript. If I get bad news at the registrar's, I might cry.

I should have a BIOL 111 lab, both semesters of Gen Chem, and my Orgo I lab, and I don't see them anywhere on my transcript. Not even on the "grades per term" folder. I took the Organic one and the others should have been included with the AP credits. :cryi:
It might just be that your school bundles the lab with the lecture on your transcript. They do that here with gen chem, lab is included in the 4 credit lecture. Did you actually get a separate grade in the organic lab, or was it combined with your lecture grade?

It might just be that your school bundles the lab with the lecture on your transcript. Did you actually get a separate grade in the organic lab, or was it combined with your lecture grade?

They were put together for a grade; but I don't even have a "Organic Chemistry I Lab" line on my transcript. It's not like it's listed as 0 credits and had a blank for a grade. It's just not on there at all. Which is kind of scary truth being told and I want to apply next cycle for c/o 2020 but if I don't even have labs written on there when I've taken a lab, that's probably not going to happen. :scared:

They were put together for a grade; but I don't even have a "Organic Chemistry I Lab" line on my transcript. It's not like it's listed as 0 credits and had a blank for a grade. It's just not on there at all. Which is kind of scary truth being told and I want to apply next cycle for c/o 2020 but if I don't even have labs written on there when I've taken a lab, that's probably not going to happen. :scared:
Ok, you should be fine then. The schools are aware that labs are included in some lecture courses. On the NCSU supplemental app for instance, on the prerequisite form it gave specific instructions for how to fill out the lab requirement if it was included with the lecture. I got AP credit for Chem 1 and 2 which both included labs, and neither of the labs have a separate line on my transcript either. So don't worry, all is well :)

Ok, you should be fine then. The schools are aware that labs are included in some lecture courses. On the NCSU supplemental app for instance, on the prerequisite form it gave specific instructions for how to fill out the lab requirement if it was included with the lecture. I got AP credit for Chem 1 and 2 which both included labs, and neither of the labs have a separate line on my transcript either. So don't worry, all is well :)

Are you serious? :bow:

I'm using AP credit for my General Chemistry classes and a semester of Basic Biology, which is why I about had a cow. I just need to breathe; it's not even my application year, haha!

Thanks, WildZoo. :D

Are you serious? :bow:

I'm using AP credit for my General Chemistry classes and a semester of Basic Biology, which is why I about had a cow. I just need to breathe; it's not even my application year, haha!

Thanks, WildZoo. :D
Literally the exact same. I have AP (or IB, can't remember which) credit for one semester of intro bio too.

The only thing you need to check is whether the schools you want to apply to accept AP credit for prerequisites. I get the feeling that most of them do, but you'll want to make sure.

No problem :)

At least part of why they ask that is because they schedule some of the more large animal focused people on interview days that involve a trip to New Bolton. I wouldn't worry about it. I think I applied with an interest in wildlife (now am into small animal / shelter).

Reactions: 1 users
Literally the exact same. I have AP (or IB, can't remember which) credit for one semester of intro bio too.

The only thing you need to check is whether the schools you want to apply to accept AP credit for prerequisites. I get the feeling that most of them do, but you'll want to make sure.

No problem :)

Both UF (potential IS if my parents move) and NCSU (IS currently) do; I may add more since right now my GPA could stand to do better but I test well.

Thank you again!

Both UF (potential IS if my parents move) and NCSU (IS currently) do; I may add more since right now my GPA could stand to do better but I test well.

Thank you again!
Just remember that generally (I think anyway, someone can correct me if I'm wrong) you have to be living in a state for a year before you can claim residency. So if your parents haven't moved to FL yet, you would still be applying as OOS, though you might be able to get your residency changed before matriculation if you were accepted.

Also, nice school choices, those are two of my four :D

I put down zoo as my interest, had almost all of my vet hours at a zoo and a significant chunk of my animal hours at a zoo, and didn't even get an interview at Penn, despite it being my in state and getting interviews at 4 out of state schools. Based on what I'd heard somewhere about them liking you having your hours in your interest area, I thought that would help me there. But apparently not. They are one school which I have not really figured out in terms of what they really care about in applications... it seems kinda random. They're not very open to sharing about their process (or so was my experience) like most schools... which is kinda what annoyed the crap out of me about them during the admissions process.

I put down zoo as my interest, had almost all of my vet hours at a zoo and a significant chunk of my animal hours at a zoo, and didn't even get an interview at Penn, despite it being my in state and getting interviews at 4 out of state schools. Based on what I'd heard somewhere about them liking you having your hours in your interest area, I thought that would help me there. But apparently not. They are one school which I have not really figured out in terms of what they really care about in applications... it seems kinda random. They're not very open to sharing about their process (or so was my experience) like most schools... which is kinda what annoyed the crap out of me about them during the admissions process.
That is so strange. I did notice that it is one school where nobody really has anything to say about what they tend to look for. Like everyone knows UF weighs GRE a little heavier than most schools for example, but I don't know anything about what Penn is looking for. Maybe it is completely random :laugh:

Just remember that generally (I think anyway, someone can correct me if I'm wrong) you have to be living in a state for a year before you can claim residency. So if your parents haven't moved to FL yet, you would still be applying as OOS, though you might be able to get your residency changed before matriculation if you were accepted.

Also, nice school choices, those are two of my four :D

I believe the requirement is you have to live there for a year before matriculation, so if you move to a state in summer before the next year you wish to matriculate and work in that state, you can apply as a resident and receive resident tuition. Not sure if that's for everywhere, but I think for most.