RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it's big enough that I should. It says "Survey" instead of "Survey of English Literature." Should I just send it to their admissions emails?
Has your VMCAS been verified yet? I honestly wouldn't worry too much, I remember that they corrected a small mistake on my transcripts last year. Though if you're really worried you can contact VMCAS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, but I thought if they don't match the coursework, you're out. LSU specifically mentions that errors in coursework disqualify a lot of people.

Who requires upper-level literature? I didn't notice any of that.
It's a mistake. You didn't specifically leave something out. Get in touch with them and let them know but it's REALLY not a huge deal.

Yeah, but I thought if they don't match the coursework, you're out. LSU specifically mentions that errors in coursework disqualify a lot of people.

That's errors in the sense of didn't meet the pre-requisites .... claimed to have taken courses on the apps that aren't on transcripts .... etc. Given that the course numbers are also in there, it will be obvious to them that "Oh. This thing called 'Survey' here is actually 'Survey of blah blah blah'. Got it."

It's not a big deal. I wouldn't even email them IF IT WERE ME, but there is absolutely no reason it would be wrong to email the schools just to make sure it's dealt with.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

They don't mean if you mistype the course name, I mean... as long as you didn't type physics in place of chemistry you should be fine.

They are talking about big errors... like your course was only 3 credits and they require 4. Or that you missed a pre-req that you need.

They don't mean if you mistype the course name, I mean... as long as you didn't type physics in place of chemistry you should be fine.

They are talking about big errors... like your course was only 3 credits and they require 4. Or that you missed a pre-req that you need.

I did hear through the grapevine that there's a 3-typo limit on applications at most vet schools......

I did hear through the grapevine that there's a 3-typo limit on applications at most vet schools......
You're out of touch LIS (aka old), they dropped it down to 1.5 last year. Not really sure what half a typo is though.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for easing all of my anxiety. I don't know how you guys did all of this without exploding from nerves! I haven't been verified through VMCAS yet, so I'll email them, and the schools if necessary.

Thank you so much for easing all of my anxiety. I don't know how you guys did all of this without exploding from nerves! I haven't been verified through VMCAS yet, so I'll email them, and the schools if necessary.

That's exactly what the verification process is for! Don't even stress about it. VMCAS fixes small mistakes themselves, but if it's something big they just make you redo it, then verify again, then send it out. You don't have to pay again, and your schools never see the wrong way!

Got one cavity filled this afternoon. Novocaine is wearing off everywhere BUT MY UPPER LIP. I JUST WANT TO EAT MY MASHED POTATOES IN PEACE.

Got one cavity filled this afternoon. Novocaine is wearing off everywhere BUT MY UPPER LIP. I JUST WANT TO EAT MY MASHED POTATOES IN PEACE.
Novocaine is the worst. Last time I had a cavity filled I felt like I was drooling all over myself for hours. Even though I wasn't.

Novocaine is the worst. Last time I had a cavity filled I felt like I was drooling all over myself for hours. Even though I wasn't.
I felt like my nose was runny, and I couldn't flare one nostril for the longest time.

I'm a little frustrated with the equine clinic I've been trying to shadow at. I called three weeks ago (the 4th) asking if I would be able to shadow there, and the woman who answered the phone took down my information and said she'd talk to the office manager and the vets and get back to me. A week and a half went by and I heard nothing, so last Tuesday (the 16th) I called again. A different woman answered the phone and seemed apologetic that no one had gotten back to me, but she said pretty much the same thing and asked me to email my resume. I did so, but again, I still haven't heard anything back. Should I try calling again? Give up? Go visit in person? The clinic's about 20 minutes away from where I live, so I'm hesitant to make a trip there if I'm just going to get the same spiel.

I understand that clinics get busy and forget or aren't able to get back to people -- I had to pester the clinic I currently work at several times before they finally offered me a job -- but it just seems weird to me, because everywhere else I've shadowed has said "oh yeah, come on in on this day!" as soon as I've asked. Maybe equine clinics have to be more careful than SA clinics about who they'll let shadow? I have a bit of experience around horses, so that shouldn't be an issue. I had been hoping to get some LA shadowing hours in in time to have at least a few on my VMCAS, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. :/ I researched several LA vets in my area before deciding who to call, and this one seemed like the best opportunity, so I'll be disappointed if I have to look elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Annoyed that I always seem to fail one test in the class worth the most credits that screws up my grade for the remainder of the semester.

Reactions: 1 users
my dog is lame :-(

out hiking, four miles from my truck, going uphill, and she takes a bad step and proceeds to lay on her side yelping for ten minutes with her leg in the air. wrapped up the leg and sling walked her back to the truck. same leg she had a hyperextension injury in 10 months ago so I can't even blame it on her being a drama queen. Ugh. back to crate resting and drugs.

Really bummed about one question on my exam. I can't decide whether or not I want to challenge it or not :/

Really bummed about one question on my exam. I can't decide whether or not I want to challenge it or not :/
If you can validate your answer from examples in the lecture- I would challenge it... I must say that we got an email today regarding questions challenged on our path exam and a couple of these people were grasping at straws..:rolleyes:

If you can validate your answer from examples in the lecture- I would challenge it... I must say that we got an email today regarding questions challenged on our path exam and a couple of these people were grasping at straws..:rolleyes:
Hey, I got half a point back from whoever decided to really challenge that muscle question. I'm not complaining!

It was actually a really straight forward question that should have had a super easy answer...that wasn't written in a way that non-chemistry majors could understand.

Hey, I got half a point back from whoever decided to really challenge that muscle question. I'm not complaining!

I'm not complaining about people challenging questions that should be challenged, im getting 0.5 back too for a different question! Just saying that there should be clear evidence supporting your opinion if you do challenge! I think our professor Is being very generous this time around- I just hope we don't piss her off with all the challenges !

Dear adviser,

Your "Don't worry, I have until October 2nd to write that letter!" no longer is a viable excuse. I have reminded you weekly this summer. If I wasn't 1000 miles away, I'd be at your office weekly too. Pleaaaaase don't let me down.

Sincerely,
Freakin' Out

my dog is lame :-(

out hiking, four miles from my truck, going uphill, and she takes a bad step and proceeds to lay on her side yelping for ten minutes with her leg in the air. wrapped up the leg and sling walked her back to the truck. same leg she had a hyperextension injury in 10 months ago so I can't even blame it on her being a drama queen. Ugh. back to crate resting and drugs.
Boo on that! I had to carry my 40# dog all the way back to my house when I was on a hike in LA once (luckily was only ~1 mile). Very awkward for the both of us. Hope she handles the cage rest and heals OK!

It was actually a really straight forward question that should have had a super easy answer...that wasn't written in a way that non-chemistry majors could understand.
Well I am so freaking glad I sent a nice polite email. No words :(

I have absolutely no money after applying to all those schools. All the money I have saved for horseback riding us gone since I decided to apply to more than I intended.
I'm broke. I just hope I'll get in somewhere and this'll be worth it but with the gpa I got, I am doubtful and scared. Very scared. Like "can't think of anything else but vet school" scared.

It's been over a year since I've visited these forums (I forgot which e-mail I used and then just forgot about it altogether), but I need some like-minded pre-vet people to read my rants.

I had a year long internship end recently. It was a great opportunity with great pay but it was not veterinary in nature. I was really itching to get back to something with animals so I applied to some clinics before my final day in the internship. I was really excited when one called me for an interview. I have never worked on the clinical side of things before, most of my experiences have been in public health, regulatory, zoo, and research. I interviewed, my inexperience was mentioned repeatedly, and they still chose to hire me with the knowledge that I would need a lot of training.

Well, the training I received was approximately 16 hours of shadowing techs. After that period they wanted me to perform on my own. I tried my best to be up to the task, but apparently failed their expectations which were not really made known. After three weeks the head tech said that things weren't working out and that while I was a hard worker, reliable, and liked by the staff, my handling and restraining skills were not up to par and that I was free to leave the practice. I knew my skills were lacking, but I was surprised that they thought in less than two weeks of actual work on mostly part time shifts that I was going to perfect those skills. Were their expectations unreasonable or is that really all the training people receive when starting in a clinic?

In truth, I was relieved when they dismissed me. On my first day, amidst the shadowing, no less than five employees told me, "Don't take it personally if [Head Vet/Head Tech] yells at you." This was followed by people joking about quitting before they made it to six months. I also heard from multiple assistants that there had been a recent rash of employees quitting and that they "used to have a larger staff." In hindsight, I probably should have left that first week upon hearing such negative things about the work environment. I didn't because I really wanted the experience.

... and the head vet did yell at me multiple times. He yelled at me when I didn't know how to roll a vein, which took five seconds to demonstrate. He yelled at me numerous times for asking him to repeat prescription orders. He yelled at me for drawing up the wrong vaccine for a cat (just RCP vs a combo, which their records did not indicate). He yelled at me for making clients wait for a fecal float (something I had not been trained to do yet). Almost every interaction I had with him involved yelling, eye-rolling, or him just flat out ignoring my question. I on the other hand was constantly trying to be polite and professional when asking him and the other employees to show me how to do things that weren't covered in my training.

Like I said, I was relieved, but I'm still a little sad because it's never fun to fail. :(

It's been over a year since I've visited these forums (I forgot which e-mail I used and then just forgot about it altogether), but I need some like-minded pre-vet people to read my rants.

I had a year long internship end recently. It was a great opportunity with great pay but it was not veterinary in nature. I was really itching to get back to something with animals so I applied to some clinics before my final day in the internship. I was really excited when one called me for an interview. I have never worked on the clinical side of things before, most of my experiences have been in public health, regulatory, zoo, and research. I interviewed, my inexperience was mentioned repeatedly, and they still chose to hire me with the knowledge that I would need a lot of training.

Well, the training I received was approximately 16 hours of shadowing techs. After that period they wanted me to perform on my own. I tried my best to be up to the task, but apparently failed their expectations which were not really made known. After three weeks the head tech said that things weren't working out and that while I was a hard worker, reliable, and liked by the staff, my handling and restraining skills were not up to par and that I was free to leave the practice. I knew my skills were lacking, but I was surprised that they thought in less than two weeks of actual work on mostly part time shifts that I was going to perfect those skills. Were their expectations unreasonable or is that really all the training people receive when starting in a clinic?

In truth, I was relieved when they dismissed me. On my first day, amidst the shadowing, no less than five employees told me, "Don't take it personally if [Head Vet/Head Tech] yells at you." This was followed by people joking about quitting before they made it to six months. I also heard from multiple assistants that there had been a recent rash of employees quitting and that they "used to have a larger staff." In hindsight, I probably should have left that first week upon hearing such negative things about the work environment. I didn't because I really wanted the experience.

... and the head vet did yell at me multiple times. He yelled at me when I didn't know how to roll a vein, which took five seconds to demonstrate. He yelled at me numerous times for asking him to repeat prescription orders. He yelled at me for drawing up the wrong vaccine for a cat (just RCP vs a combo, which their records did not indicate). He yelled at me for making clients wait for a fecal float (something I had not been trained to do yet). Almost every interaction I had with him involved yelling, eye-rolling, or him just flat out ignoring my question. I on the other hand was constantly trying to be polite and professional when asking him and the other employees to show me how to do things that weren't covered in my training.

Like I said, I was relieved, but I'm still a little sad because it's never fun to fail. :(

I didn't receive much training either... it was kind of a toss you to the sharks and hope you swim. Though that wasn't their intent with me, they were just a busy clinic and didn't have time to show me every little task. I was started in reception and was shown once how to schedule an appointment and once how to check out a client, then we got hit with emergencies and I was stuck on my own. Again, not their intention, but I sure learned fast when I wasn't given the option to ask questions.

As far as restraint and things, those things do take practice and time to get used to. When I was flipped over into training people, I would pay less attention to if you are doing it "perfectly" (no one is perfect) and more attention to if you are learning, adapting and improving with time. The most important thing with restraint is that you are doing it in a manner that is not going to end up with harm to yourself, a client, the vet, another tech or the dog or cat. You should improve within two weeks, provided you are getting some direction if you are doing something wrong. If you aren't being told you are doing something wrong or could be doing something better, then you can't improve. Maybe that was the problem here? If they weren't communicating to you how to do things or improve things, then there was no way you could change things.

Also, when I was training new employees, I rarely allowed them to shadow me. Maybe the first time I would, but most of the time I was going to explain/demonstrate and you were going to do it. I don't think people learn by shadowing, they learn by doing, so I didn't allow for a whole lot of shadowing when I was training. I was always there to direct/guide/etc if the new employee needed it. And you never watched me doing things on the computer, you were going through and doing what needed to be done with me directing you were to go and how to do it.

Also, everyone has their own learning curve, so some new employees we were having them doing things on their own within a week or two and others took longer, however after two weeks there were definitely things we expected you should have a handle on, especially things with the computer because that wasn't something super difficult to get a hang of. We did have to let a new employee go once because after a month she still couldn't open a patient chart despite that being something that we guided her through 23523 times a day, every day, for 4 weeks.

As far as the vet yelling at you, that sucks. I am sorry. I have had a vet get angry with and yell at me before and it is never fun nor does it make you feel comfortable. I did end up at a bad clinic once with a horrible vet and got yelled at quite a bit, but she finally let me go and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. I later happened to see a review on that vet clinic online and a client posted that the "tension within the clinic was so high that it felt as if you moved the wrong way the place would blow up". Yeah, even the clients could tell that vet was making her employees feel miserable. I was very happy to be out of there. I also later heard that another employee got angry enough with the vet that a week after I was let go, this employee finally lost it, cursed out the vet, then walked out of the clinic on her own. My only wish, is that I had been let go a week later so that I could have seen that. That vet deserved and probably still deserves a lot of bad words, yelling and probably a few good smacks from many people.

So getting ready to graduate with my ANSC degree in December, and I'm terrified I won't be able to find a good job between then and (hopefully) vet school. I'm also limited because I have to stay within the area for my lease.

As far as restraint and things, those things do take practice and time to get used to. When I was flipped over into training people, I would pay less attention to if you are doing it "perfectly" (no one is perfect) and more attention to if you are learning, adapting and improving with time. The most important thing with restraint is that you are doing it in a manner that is not going to end up with harm to yourself, a client, the vet, another tech or the dog or cat. You should improve within two weeks, provided you are getting some direction if you are doing something wrong. If you aren't being told you are doing something wrong or could be doing something better, then you can't improve. Maybe that was the problem here? If they weren't communicating to you how to do things or improve things, then there was no way you could change things.

I do feel as though I wasn't being corrected when I made mistakes, especially by the head vet. The other two vets at the practice would calmly correct me outside the room if I were doing things wrong, but the owner, unfortunately he was the one with the most scheduled clients, would just scold and grumble things like, "Are you going to hold that dog" in the middle of the exam. Overall though, there wasn't any specific incident in which I lost control of an animal or felt unsafe. If any of the vets felt unsafe, they didn't share that information with me at the appropriate time.

Thanks, LIS. Really needed this. Just got reamed out by my professor and now get it on SDN, too.

Oh man, @NStarz, im really sorry. I don't understand why professors respond like this when you had a legit question.

This might be silly but I want to rant about stuff too so here goes.

Had our first histo exam almost two weeks ago.....totally bombed it even though I studied cause I was looking for the zebra even though the professor is straightforward. Had a gross anatomy exam and a physiology exam this week. Did okay on the gross anatomy lab portion (don't know about the other part yet). My whine is that I studied for all these tests (but not enough for physio d/t time) and yet did mediocre. I know I need to change how I study but not sure what adjustments to make.

I am also missing the family a whole lot. I didn't think this part would be quite so bad....keeping in mind that this is all for a good cause. It is both worse than I thought and better at the same time. My hubs is my best friend so it is hard to be so far from him and of course, the kids too. The kids are teenagers though and don't really want to hang out with Mom.

My 9YO Rhodesian Ridgeback has an anal gland issue (never before) and may need surgery. He was seen at the school's small animal clinic a bit over two weeks ago as a drop off. When I picked him up, he had dried feces all over him and I got a lame excuse from the 4th year. I have no answers on the cytology and no one has called to check on him. I will be discussing my displeasure over his condition with the head of the clinic but I delayed doing so because of exams and because I was very, very angry (and still am) about that. That was just very poor customer service on their part and it needs to be brought to attention.

Thanks for letting me gripe!

@Hotfillyky , you are still in a transition period. Once you become more comfortable with where you are and your situation, you will begin to realize how to effectively study. Each class is different. I had numerous methods of studying first year because everything was so different. For anatomy I would rewrite all of my notes, and for histo I would write objectives and answer those. Don't worry, it's just the beginning. You will have time to bring your grades up if you want to.

I have been feeling super poopy the past few days. I am very tired, but cannot sleep. And if I do fall asleep, I wake up at 5am and stay awake. Lack of sleep is causing me to have migraines. I can't eat anything- I have no appetite and I am losing an unhealthy amount of weight. I also have these strange crying fits for no reason. So I am forcing my boyfriend to fly in tonight to spend the week with me (he had a ticket to come from Tuesday-Saturday, but I bought him a one-way last night to fly in today). I hope he doesn't think I am crazy. I just need him right now.

So I have what is likely a pulled or torn adductor muscle in my leg (at least that's the PT's over the phone diagnosis...) Been limping around all week, but ever since Monday when I could barely move my leg, it's been manageable. Was feeling surprisingly good today considering I way over did it last night at the wildlife center, because only 2 of our usual 7 crew members showed up, plus 1 guy who was on his first day... plus, I just had to clean the baby beaver, because it was so darn adorable... but perhaps not good for me. Anyways, I was shadowing today and was walking the most like a normal person I have all week... and then a squirrel escaped on me and I had to run around the room and crouch down and do all sorts of really bad for my leg things that I didn't think about not doing in the heat of the moment. And now my leg is killing me. If I didn't dislike squirrels enough before now, this sealed the deal. Even if he is a cute melanistic squirrel. It's gonna be a long 4-6 weeks. I don't do well with trying to stay out of the action.

If I didn't dislike squirrels enough before now
I will do any wildlife animal before I do squirrels. They're nuts (hahahahahahah :eyebrow:).

My favorite part is when you get snapped at for losing your hold on a squirrel with soft fur while you're wearing smooth leather gloves. If rubber gloves offered better bite protection....

My 9YO Rhodesian Ridgeback has an anal gland issue (never before) and may need surgery. He was seen at the school's small animal clinic a bit over two weeks ago as a drop off. When I picked him up, he had dried feces all over him and I got a lame excuse from the 4th year. I have no answers on the cytology and no one has called to check on him. I will be discussing my displeasure over his condition with the head of the clinic but I delayed doing so because of exams and because I was very, very angry (and still am) about that. That was just very poor customer service on their part and it needs to be brought to attention.

As a fourth year, I think it's pretty inexcusable to return someone's pet covered in anything - mud, urine, feces, blood, medication, etc. I know we're all really busy, but it's just not something that should be done, even if it means the owner needs to wait a little longer to get a presentable pet back. I'm really sorry you had to deal with that :(

Honestly, the best thing I did was find a clinic that wasn't the school. They treated me like a client, not a student, and at teaching hospitals I think that line gets blurred. I would call the head of the school hospital, express your dissatisfaction, and have the records sent to someone else nearby who is recommended to you. Obviously if it's serious enough that your dog needs to be referred, use the school, but in the end I found the private clinic to be so much better.

As a fourth year, I think it's pretty inexcusable to return someone's pet covered in anything - mud, urine, feces, blood, medication, etc. I know we're all really busy, but it's just not something that should be done, even if it means the owner needs to wait a little longer to get a presentable pet back. I'm really sorry you had to deal with that :(

Honestly, the best thing I did was find a clinic that wasn't the school. They treated me like a client, not a student, and at teaching hospitals I think that line gets blurred. I would call the head of the school hospital, express your dissatisfaction, and have the records sent to someone else nearby who is recommended to you. Obviously if it's serious enough that your dog needs to be referred, use the school, but in the end I found the private clinic to be so much better.

Oh yes.....I was so very angry. After working in clinics for more than 12 years, I too, found it absolutely unacceptable. Planning to sit down with them this week. And honestly, I highly doubt that I will take him back there. There will definitely be no more drop offs! I am looking closer to home as well. Thanks for the support!

Ridiculous amount of quizzes and tests in the past few days (with a few of them expected to get done over the weekend). I'm in vet school, I know the deal, I'm not actually ranting about that.

My rant is with my job. I told my manager back in August that I needed to reduce my schedule once school starts because I just cannot work 22+hours every other weekend. I need those weekends to de-stress/study my butt off for upcoming exams. So she told me she was hiring a new person to take over that shift and would move me to every other Sunday 8-5. Well school starts and I check the calendar and I'm scheduled as usual 1pm-midnight Saturday and Sunday. Ask the manager and she says it'll just be the one weekend because she hadn't hired someone yet. I grumble, but say okay because it was only a couple weeks into school and we didn't have too much stuff going on yet.

Fast forward to late last week. Check the calendar again, just to be sure, and lo and behold I'm still scheduled my old shift! So I call and ask and this time I'm told that she promises its the last time, she's hired someone for the shift and would have been training them during that shift this weekend but she had to go out of town for a family reunion...

I'm sorry, but no. You don't get to make me work a shift I was PROMISED I wouldn't have to work anymore because you have to go to a family reunion!

Unfortunately I'm too nice and chicken**** to put up too much of a fuss about it and went in and worked the weekend. The biggest thing I did for myself was to actually leave at midnight instead of staying late (even though they could've used my help staying late both nights).

Now I have a Pharmacology exam due at midnight that I have barely studied for and an Agents of Disease exam at 8am tomorrow morning that I haven't studied AT ALL for. I'm exhausted and cranky and every time stuff like this happens it makes me question why I haven't quit this job yet...

Now I have a Pharmacology exam due at midnight that I have barely studied for and an Agents of Disease exam at 8am tomorrow morning that I haven't studied AT ALL for. I'm exhausted and cranky and every time stuff like this happens it makes me question why I haven't quit this job yet...
If it makes you feel better, I haven't studied for AOD yet either except for reading the CNS modules. I'm starting to think that studying doesn't really help much on those exams anyway, since they ask random little details that you never thought were important. Like the example table during the review that asked us to compare something to the fox lungworm, which we have one slide of info about. And it's a freaking fox lungworm. I like foxes, but why would this be something I focused on in detail when we have so much stuff to learn for this class that is more generally relevant? :mad: I should probably stop now. I could rant about AOD forever...

RIP Dr. Sophia Yin :( So blessed to have had the opportunity to work with her last year when she came to OSU. She will be truly missed.

Reactions: 3 users