RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would likely think the apocalypse is upon us if a bat made it in my house. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
they should be shot. but with bullets carrying preventable diseases. So that they can suffer the same fate they put their kids, pets, and community through.
agreed x 10000000000

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear vets I work for,

If you're annoyed at the way I do something, bitching amongst yourselves or to the day shift techs is not going to fix it. I cannot read minds. You know I'm the one that did the apparently annoying thing because my initials are on it, so why not tell me so I can fix it??? Instead you wait until I've been working here over 9 months to ask one of the day techs to re-train me on that task, when I've been doing it the way someone else trained me all along. We put our initials on certain things for a reason, so people know who to go to if it's messed up. What's the point of that if people are just going to complain rather than coming to me to fix the problem? I get that the vets are busy and have 3646876854 other things to worry about, but it's frustrating that no one ever said anything to me earlier. This isn't the first time this has happened, either.

Reactions: 1 users
Dear vets I work for,

If you're annoyed at the way I do something, bitching amongst yourselves or to the day shift techs is not going to fix it. I cannot read minds. You know I'm the one that did the apparently annoying thing because my initials are on it, so why not tell me so I can fix it??? Instead you wait until I've been working here over 9 months to ask one of the day techs to re-train me on that task, when I've been doing it the way someone else trained me all along. We put our initials on certain things for a reason, so people know who to go to if it's messed up. What's the point of that if people are just going to complain rather than coming to me to fix the problem? I get that the vets are busy and have 3646876854 other things to worry about, but it's frustrating that no one ever said anything to me earlier. This isn't the first time this has happened, either.
why we humans are unable to just approach someone with a problem and cordially work it out will forever baffle me. it even happens with people regarded to be the greatest of mentors.

I was in a good mood today because we got out of class super early today and it is a Friday... then I came home to destruction of random electronics on my floor. My dog decided that she wanted to destroy my boyfriend's friend's really expensive Bose headphones :mad: She has been doing really well and so we have not been closing off the living room when we are upstairs, because she normally just lays on the floor of the office... not today. Ugh this is the first time that she has even gone for electronics... Good news his friend is super nice and was super cool about it and was like "It's my fault, I should not have left them down there." Bad news is that we have to now come up with the money to replace his headphones.

She was doing so well too... I guess she is back to the cage when we cannot keep an eye on her. :(

Dear vets I work for,

I just started at a clinic with this problem. I'm actually really worrying. It's my first week. The other day the doctor didn't come in since we had ZERO appointments scheduled (Winter is slow, but zero?). So at our lunch, the staff basically sat me down and told me that the reason there are so many new people is because half the staff got fed up and walked out. Literally. Two went to lunch and never came back.

They told me the vet and practice manager just yell at everyone for every stupid thing, and unfortunately it appears to have held true. I haven't gotten it yet, but I watched two techs get berated because they couldn't retrieve stool using a fecal wand on an extremely fractious cat, yet she could on the third try. During her try, the assistant made it very clear she needed to regrip as she was losing hold of the cat. The vet told her that it was too late to regrip since she was already starting to insert the wand. She was successful in getting the stool sample, but I'm inclined to say the cat was empty until it was stressed and then the flood gates opened in time for her to give it a go. Perhaps I am incorrect, but I feel that it is more important to protect your staff than to force a fecal out of an outdoor cat that is just going to get reinfested with parasites after its deworming is done. She wouldn't stop bringing up the fact that her techs are "incapable of performing basic skills" and how she "has to do everyone's job for them."

There are no protocols in place, so set training, or anything of the like. You make a mistake and you apparently catch hell for it later. Or no one corrects you, but you find out you did it wrong when you get a passive aggressive comment out of the blue. One of the techs is pregnant and isn't telling anyone else out of fear since the last pregnant tech was verbally abused daily.

I'm definitely going to form my own opinions after getting to know everyone better, but the fact that it didn't take 5 minutes of me working there to get a serious warning about these problems worries me. That, and they have a mouse problem, which really bothers me. :vomit:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just started at a clinic with this problem. I'm actually really worrying. It's my first week. The other day the doctor didn't come in since we had ZERO appointments scheduled (Winter is slow, but zero?). So at our lunch, the staff basically sat me down and told me that the reason there are so many new people is because half the staff got fed up and walked out. Literally. Two went to lunch and never came back.

They told me the vet and practice manager just yell at everyone for every stupid thing, and unfortunately it appears to have held true. I haven't gotten it yet, but I watched two techs get berated because they couldn't retrieve stool using a fecal wand on an extremely fractious cat, yet she could on the third try. During her try, the assistant made it very clear she needed to regrip as she was losing hold of the cat. The vet told her that it was too late to regrip since she was already starting to insert the wand. She was successful in getting the stool sample, but I'm inclined to say the cat was empty until it was stressed and then the flood gates opened in time for her to give it a go. Perhaps I am incorrect, but I feel that it is more important to protect your staff than to force a fecal out of an outdoor cat that is just going to get reinfested with parasites after its deworming is done. She wouldn't stop bringing up the fact that her techs are "incapable of performing basic skills" and how she "has to do everyone's job for them."

There are no protocols in place, so set training, or anything of the like. You make a mistake and you apparently catch hell for it later. Or no one corrects you, but you find out you did it wrong when you get a passive aggressive comment out of the blue. One of the techs is pregnant and isn't telling anyone else out of fear since the last pregnant tech was verbally abused daily.

I'm definitely going to form my own opinions after getting to know everyone better, but the fact that it didn't take 5 minutes of me working there to get a serious warning about these problems worries me. That, and they have a mouse problem, which really bothers me. :vomit:
That sounds awful! Good luck. I think the best way to deal with that may be to just have a thick skin about it, and it you get yelled at, just let it roll off your back. I heard of a practice near me where they had new staff every 3 months because the Dr was like that, he even had an assault case against him because he shoved an employee. He has closed his practice now, thankfully.

Two of my lovely co workers, one full time and one part time, just put in there notice, when everyone else was pretty much maxed out on hours. My most recent conversation with my practice manager now has me working 4-5 days a week, between 32 and 40 hours a week, while still being a full time student. Seems reasonable :rolleyes:

Two of my lovely co workers, one full time and one part time, just put in there notice, when everyone else was pretty much maxed out on hours. My most recent conversation with my practice manager now has me working 4-5 days a week, between 32 and 40 hours a week, while still being a full time student. Seems reasonable :rolleyes:
Sounds like it's time to get a time turner. Solve all your problems. Well, maybe not all...

That sounds awful! Good luck. I think the best way to deal with that may be to just have a thick skin about it, and it you get yelled at, just let it roll off your back. I heard of a practice near me where they had new staff every 3 months because the Dr was like that, he even had an assault case against him because he shoved an employee. He has closed his practice now, thankfully.
Luckily I am usually pretty stoic when it comes to being yelled at. The last doctor I worked for was just a bitter person. She had reasons to be, but didn't know how to cope with the unfortunate events in her life. I'm just hoping I can at least be happy enough to spend 38-45 hours a week here...
How can you be expected to attend classes with that kind of work schedule?

Luckily I am usually pretty stoic when it comes to being yelled at. The last doctor I worked for was just a bitter person. She had reasons to be, but didn't know how to cope with the unfortunate events in her life. I'm just hoping I can at least be happy enough to spend 38-45 hours a week here...

How can you be expected to attend classes with that kind of work schedule?
Yeah, in my experience, you roll with the punches, but I tend to also stand up for myself and if I feel I did something wrong, apologize in advance for it (before she brings it up). There is 1 doctor who walks over everyone at my practice, but doesn't to me bc I am very upfront when I feel like something is my fault and ask directly how I can do better next time.

And I mean I am used to averaging around 25 hours a week, which is manageable. So she feels that adding on 10 hours a week shouldn't be too detrimental. But just bc I condensed my class schedule and TAing into two days (I go from 8 am to 8 pm on tues thurs), doesn't mean that I can have my other free days completely taken up. She just figures that since I pull straights As with heavy work schedules in the past, that me actually working full time will work out just fine....

Perhaps I am incorrect, but I feel that it is more important to protect your staff than to force a fecal out of an outdoor cat that is just going to get reinfested with parasites after its deworming is done.

I agree that you shouldn't "force" a fecal out of a cat (regardless of it is indoor or outdoor) especially if it is fractious and might harm you or your staff, however, I wasn't there so I don't know what the vet saw or how fractious the cat was. You can always get owners to bring in a stool sample later, but compliance is an issue with this. I can't tell you how many clients we have had say they will bring back a sample and never do. It would be even more difficult for the owner to get that sample from an outdoor cat.

However, the mentality of "it is an outdoor cat and will just get reinfested with parasites once its deworming is done" is completely missing the point. It is of great importance that outdoor cats, especially, are checked for intestinal parasites. Also, many of the current flea/tick preventatives cover certain intestinal parasites. However, not all parasites can be covered with one medication, so it is good to check for these parasites and treat them. The cat shouldn't have to live with parasites just because it is "outdoor and will just be reinfested". Intestinal parasites do kill animals. Also there is the zoonotic potential of some parasites to people that as a vet you also need to be concerned about... if you don't mention any type of fecal checking or deworming then you could be sued should a person get a zoonotic parasite from the cat. So while it might not seem like a big deal to you to do that fecal you are seriously missing the bigger implications and reasons as to why the cat should be checked for parasites.

Last edited:
In addition to what DVMd said, it would be a good idea instead of immediately thinking why it's wrong to either ask the vet why it is important or try to think of reasons yourself.

I feel like a bigger issue than the vet's apparent temper issue may be the rest of the staff "warning" you about it. That kind of gossip can ruin clinics

In addition to what DVMd said, it would be a good idea instead of immediately thinking why it's wrong to either ask the vet why it is important or try to think of reasons yourself.

I feel like a bigger issue than the vet's apparent temper issue may be the rest of the staff "warning" you about it. That kind of gossip can ruin clinics
I don't know. I get what you're saying about gossip, but when I worked at a clinic that had one (of four) vets that had a serious temper when stressed, I *really* appreciated the day 1 warning about her - when I inevitably got my head bitten off for doing something not quite right, it made me feel a lot better than if I hadn't been pre-warned she could be really sharp and that it wasn't personal.

I don't know. I get what you're saying about gossip, but when I worked at a clinic that had one (of four) vets that had a serious temper when stressed, I *really* appreciated the day 1 warning about her - when I inevitably got my head bitten off for doing something not quite right, it made me feel a lot better than if I hadn't been pre-warned she could be really sharp and that it wasn't personal.
I get that, but it doesn't seem like that was the intent in this warning as it was presented.

It is different to say something to someone that "hey when this one vet gets stressed they can get a bit snappy, it isn't personal" versus the whole staff having a "discussion" about how horrible the vet is and that is why all the staff is new.

I have seen gossip destroy a clinic and wipe out all the doctors and most of the support staff.

It is different to say something to someone that "hey when this one vet gets stressed they can get a bit snappy, it isn't personal" versus the whole staff having a "discussion" about how horrible the vet is and that is why all the staff is new.

I have seen gossip destroy a clinic and wipe out all the doctors and most of the support staff.

Thank God Captain Ethical and Moral Compass is there to confront them! ;)

Fine, fine, I'll drop out of school and come work with you, technically I'm done with all the important stuff anyway...;)

Fine, fine, I'll drop out of school and come work with you, technically I'm done with all the important stuff anyway...;)
As awesome as that would be, our practice manager isn't even able to hire someone for two months due to the way ish works in the corporation where if you have too many red flags of people leaving then you can't hire someone, and since we had 4 people leave this past year, we have to wait for a year from when the first person left to hire someone else. But if you would like to apply in 2 months, that would be great :D

As awesome as that would be, our practice manager isn't even able to hire someone for two months due to the way ish works in the corporation where if you have too many red flags of people leaving then you can't hire someone, and since we had 4 people leave this past year, we have to wait for a year from when the first person left to hire someone else. But if you would like to apply in 2 months, that would be great :D
I get the feeling you work for the company I used to

You would probably be correct. Gotta love all the ish that goes on with that company...
So many reasons I'm glad not to work there anymore. But my favorite is still being told I was disrupting the schedule too much when I called from my hospital bed post emergency appendectomy

Jeez, so you're forced to be understaffed for two months? That is really awful...

Received the following email today (see attached). I am furious and hurt by this mistake. Extremely unprofessional and a huge mistake by Banfield. Not only is Lucy dead (as noted in the name), today was not her birthday (it's in June and in their computer system), and it got sent out on the 10th of the month (Lucy died on 10/10, and I'm always just a tad more sensitive and reflective on the 10th of each month). Unbelievable.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 136
yep

edit: wow jmo that is so incompetent on so many levels - it's one thing to not update the status and send a reminder or something, it's another thing to have changed the patient's name in the file and not have updated the status
i'm curious to hear their explanation (if they give one), because i didnt receive this last year and they were notified sometime between oct and dec 2013. reminds me of the story from a client that found a set of paw prints waiting in the mailbox with their pets name on them the same day they brought their (very alive) pet home from an extended stay in the ICU (they also later received a sympathy card despite bringing the error to the clinics [not banfield] attention and the pet was still alive)

So many reasons I'm glad not to work there anymore. But my favorite is still being told I was disrupting the schedule too much when I called from my hospital bed post emergency appendectomy
Yeah the regional people are even worse then the ones at the practice level, I am not sure who said that, but sadly I am not at all surprised that she did...
Jeez, so you're forced to be understaffed for two months? That is really awful...
Yup, gotta love corporations...
Received the following email today (see attached). I am furious and hurt by this mistake. Extremely unprofessional and a huge mistake by Banfield. Not only is Lucy dead (as noted in the name), today was not her birthday (it's in June and in their computer system), and it got sent out on the 10th of the month (Lucy died on 10/10, and I'm always just a tad more sensitive and reflective on the 10th of each month). Unbelievable.
Yeah that's atrocious. And any knowledgeable employee there would very easily know how to press the real button for passed away as opposed to taking extra time to write it in. The emails are automatic unfortunately, and no one filters through them. But the person who marked that in the system is very much at fault....

Someone from Banfield wrote an apology on facebook and addressed it to Lucy in response to my message. Reminds me of when a parent forces a child to apologize but they don't really want to or mean it. Let this be a lesson to all aspiring and current clinical practitioners, this is not how you keep clients, and its a good way to make a dent in your client base.

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 107
Someone from Banfield wrote an apology on facebook and addressed it to Lucy in response to my message. Reminds me of when a parent forces a child to apologize but they don't really want to or mean it. Let this be a lesson to all aspiring and current clinical practitioners, this is not how you keep clients, and its a good way to make a dent in your client base.
Call their central team support about it and tell them all this. Maybe then they will start to get the hint

Oh my. "I'll look into our records first thing in the morning".... maybe you should have done that BEFORE posting on Facebook. Way to keep digging a hole.

I agree that you shouldn't "force" a fecal out of a cat (regardless of it is indoor or outdoor) especially if it is fractious and might harm you or your staff, however, I wasn't there so I don't know what the vet saw or how fractious the cat was. You can always get owners to bring in a stool sample later, but compliance is an issue with this. I can't tell you how many clients we have had say they will bring back a sample and never do. It would be even more difficult for the owner to get that sample from an outdoor cat.

However, the mentality of "it is an outdoor cat and will just get reinfested with parasites once its deworming is done" is completely missing the point. It is of great importance that outdoor cats, especially, are checked for intestinal parasites. Also, many of the current flea/tick preventatives cover certain intestinal parasites. However, not all parasites can be covered with one medication, so it is good to check for these parasites and treat them. The cat shouldn't have to live with parasites just because it is "outdoor and will just be reinfested". Intestinal parasites do kill animals. Also there is the zoonotic potential of some parasites to people that as a vet you also need to be concerned about... if you don't mention any type of fecal checking or deworming then you could be sued should a person get a zoonotic parasite from the cat. So while it might not seem like a big deal to you to do that fecal you are seriously missing the bigger implications and reasons as to why the cat should be checked for parasites.
You're right that client compliance is a huge factor in this, and that finding a voluntary fecal is next to impossible.
I'm aware of the importance of a fecal, legally and medically. I get what the whole cover your a** thing when it comes to practicing in addition to wanting to protect the cat. I am aware that preventatives are not going to cover all of your bases when it comes to intestinal parasites. However, when the owners regularly decline to treat the cat or use preventatives, and you have to shove a wand up the thing's butt three times and EACH time the cat is a serious bite risk, I think it's best to throw in the towel. Or hold the cat yourself since you are unhappy with how anyone else could do it. Either way, the fecal showed rare giardia and the cat didn't get treated.

So it's either risk staff safety, or tell an owner you couldn't safely get a fecal and cannot guarantee that the cat is parasite-free at this time.

Yes, gossip is definitely unfortunate. However, when the leaders of the clinic are treating people so poorly that some have gone to lunch and never come back, it's a bit more serious than gossip. It's a recurring problem that needs to be addressed.

And I didn't think the act of getting a fecal was wrong, you guys. I think forcing an assistant to hold a cat that is really going to cause damage and then telling her she cannot take a second to regrip is the problem here. Plus not to mention that the techs who tried the first two times were screamed at....

I get that, but it doesn't seem like that was the intent in this warning as it was presented.
Well, I suppose you weren't there, so you don't know the intent/conversation of the little pow-wow. But it was definitely a warning like I said it was....they basically told me it's best to keep to myself. If I thought the staff were being gossipy, I would have just rolled my eyes and not ranted about it. Keeping to myself would go against the whole reason of me being there-to ask questions and learn. So now I either walk on eggshells or see what happens if I be myself. It's only my first week, so like I said, I fully intend on forming my own opinions about the situation. It just sucks that the staff gave me a heads-up, and I have no reason to NOT believe them yet. It was kind of one of those "Is this too good to be true?" things. The clinic is 10 minutes from my house, I get to scrub in, etc. But I walked into a dysfunctional clinic :/

You're right that client compliance is a huge factor in this, and that finding a voluntary fecal is next to impossible.
I'm aware of the importance of a fecal, legally and medically. I get what the whole cover your a** thing when it comes to practicing in addition to wanting to protect the cat. I am aware that preventatives are not going to cover all of your bases when it comes to intestinal parasites. However, when the owners regularly decline to treat the cat or use preventatives, and you have to shove a wand up the thing's butt three times and EACH time the cat is a serious bite risk, I think it's best to throw in the towel. Or hold the cat yourself since you are unhappy with how anyone else could do it. Either way, the fecal showed rare giardia and the cat didn't get treated.

So it's either risk staff safety, or tell an owner you couldn't safely get a fecal and cannot guarantee that the cat is parasite-free at this time.

If you realize the importance of the fecal then why even say something like what is quoted below?

Perhaps I am incorrect, but I feel that it is more important to protect your staff than to force a fecal out of an outdoor cat that is just going to get reinfested with parasites after its deworming is done.

It indicates that you think deworming an outdoor cat (regardless on if it is friendly or not) is a waste of time.

I do not disagree with you on the staff safety perspective but I do disagree very strongly with the statement of it being an outdoor cat and the attitude portrayed that because of the cat being an outdoor cat that the deworming doesn't really matter. It does.

Yes, staff safety is important and I don't disagree with you on that (as I have already stated), but that wasn't the point I was making.

If you realize the importance of the fecal then why even say something like what is quoted below?

It indicates that you think deworming an outdoor cat (regardless on if it is friendly or not) is a waste of time.

I do not disagree with you on the staff safety perspective but I do disagree very strongly with the statement of it being an outdoor cat and the attitude portrayed that because of that it doesn't really matter. It does.

Yes, staff safety is important and I don't disagree with you on that (as I have already stated), but that wasn't the point I was making.
My apologies :)

I'm afraid you're misunderstanding me.

If they had simply warned you about the vet and whoever else's temper being an issue, that's a good warning to have. However, they have you unnecessary details that push it into gossip. Telling you that people walked out crosses that line. Telling you that people have issues with their temper? not really.
Yes, gossip is definitely unfortunate. However, when the leaders of the clinic are treating people so poorly that some have gone to lunch and never come back, it's a bit more serious than gossip

Yes, now it's gossip in the form of a warning, which means you feel you should take it more seriously. I think it crosses a line. The other staff should have left it as "there has been some concern regarding xyz" without giving details like that people have walked out. I mean, look at what it has done to your expectations.

Well, I suppose you weren't there, so you don't know the intent/conversation of the little pow-wow.
I was saying that the way YOU presented it in thread made the intent seem as I said.
It just sucks that the staff gave me a heads-up, and I have no reason to NOT believe them yet.
absolutely believe them that the vet or whoever has a temper issue and that it isn't personal. How you choose to use that information is up to you. If you use it to take the things that may happen not personally and approach the vet afterwards to learn how you could do it differently would be to your best advantage. It will show a willingness to change and learn, But don't do it immediately when tensions are high.

I think forcing an assistant to hold a cat that is really going to cause damage and then telling her she cannot take a second to regrip is the problem here

While this is true...maybe she was already in and about to get the fecal sample out - you can't allow for a regrip when the fecal wand is already in the animal's rectum. So while it sucks, it all depends on the situation.
However, when the owners regularly decline to treat the cat or use preventatives, and you have to shove a wand up the thing's butt three times and EACH time the cat is a serious bite risk, I think it's best to throw in the towel.

I would think that this type of cat would need a fecal more than others. Parasite loads can be life-threatening (although uncommon in adult animals). But if they are unwilling to do preventives or treat most of the time, it's MORE important to keep an eye on things.
Plus not to mention that the techs who tried the first two times were screamed at....
This part is a problem. But I guess I'd have to ask if they were screamed at or if the vet raised her voice. Because that isn't the same thing, really. Sometimes stress gets the better of us and we raise our voices unintentionally. If she was screaming, that's a much bigger issue.

So I got a remote start for Christmas, and my parents also paid for the installation at Best Buy so all I had to do was make the appointment. I ended up having to go to the store to make the appointment because the business card they gave my parents had an old number, but that wasn't a big deal. However, they neglected to mention when I made the appointment that the installation usually takes 4-5 hours, so now I'm stuck hanging around this shopping center. There are plenty of stores to wander around and restaurants in walking distance, so it could be worse, but on top of that I've got a cold and I just want to go home and sleep. :( Also the clinic tried to call me in this morning, but luckily someone else was available.

Trailer shopping is so ridiculously frustrating! Ugh!

I'm afraid you're misunderstanding me.

If they had simply warned you about the vet and whoever else's temper being an issue, that's a good warning to have. However, they have you unnecessary details that push it into gossip. Telling you that people walked out crosses that line. Telling you that people have issues with their temper? not really.

Yes, now it's gossip in the form of a warning, which means you feel you should take it more seriously. I think it crosses a line. The other staff should have left it as "there has been some concern regarding xyz" without giving details like that people have walked out. I mean, look at what it has done to your expectations.

I was saying that the way YOU presented it in thread made the intent seem as I said.

absolutely believe them that the vet or whoever has a temper issue and that it isn't personal. How you choose to use that information is up to you. If you use it to take the things that may happen not personally and approach the vet afterwards to learn how you could do it differently would be to your best advantage. It will show a willingness to change and learn, But don't do it immediately when tensions are high.

While this is true...maybe she was already in and about to get the fecal sample out - you can't allow for a regrip when the fecal wand is already in the animal's rectum. So while it sucks, it all depends on the situation.

I would think that this type of cat would need a fecal more than others. Parasite loads can be life-threatening (although uncommon in adult animals). But if they are unwilling to do preventives or treat most of the time, it's MORE important to keep an eye on things.

This part is a problem. But I guess I'd have to ask if they were screamed at or if the vet raised her voice. Because that isn't the same thing, really. Sometimes stress gets the better of us and we raise our voices unintentionally. If she was screaming, that's a much bigger issue.
Well the whole walking out on the job thing wasn't that much of a secret....I kind of got suspicious when there was a page dedicated to "voluntary resignment" that detailed how you would be immediately terminated if you "walked out and never came back" in the employee manual. You wouldn't see something like that unless that has been a problem I would assume.

Also, a side question: How critical are dosimeter badges? I assisted during x-rays today and asked if I already had a badge. The answer was no, and that I would have to wait until I was here longer to get one. It sounds like 3 months is kind of the intro period, and I will then get a set of keys and apparently a dosimeter badge. As much as I want to assist and learn, I don't want to be doing something and risking my health. I am of course wearing lead, but the badge is typically worn as well/.

Well the whole walking out on the job thing wasn't that much of a secret....I kind of got suspicious when there was a page dedicated to "voluntary resignment" that detailed how you would be immediately terminated if you "walked out and never came back" in the employee manual. You wouldn't see something like that unless that has been a problem I would assume.

Also, a side question: How critical are dosimeter badges? I assisted during x-rays today and asked if I already had a badge. The answer was no, and that I would have to wait until I was here longer to get one. It sounds like 3 months is kind of the intro period, and I will then get a set of keys and apparently a dosimeter badge. As much as I want to assist and learn, I don't want to be doing something and risking my health. I am of course wearing lead, but the badge is typically worn as well/.
I mean the whole reason for a dosimeter badge is to monitor your radiation intake levels to see if you are at levels which could pose risks to your health. Usually they are checked every 3 months for exposure time during that past 3 months. I feel like it's fairly important, but maybe that just could be myself being overly cautious....

Last edited:

At the clinic where I worked over the summer, I was only going to be there about 3-4 months, so they never got me a dosimeter, and I just didn't assist with x-rays. I though it was actually mandatory for you to have a badge, or at least that is how it was presented to me.

As a side note, they had also had a few people leave during lunch and never come back (not after working there for any significant amount of time, like they just left during their first day). I couldn't for the life of me figure out why, as I loved working there.

I mean the whole reason for a dosimeter badge is to monitor your radiation intake levels to see if you are at levels which could pose risks to your health. Usually they are checked every 3 months for exposure time during that past month. I feel like it's fairly important, but maybe that just could be myself being overly cautious....
Well that's exactly what I thought. It seems kind of weird to make sure I'm not going to up and leave in order to provide me with safety equipment. I don't know if there is some type of database the radiation levels are recorded in (what if I get another job? What about my levels when I do these things in vet school and beyond? Do the numbers follow me?)
At the clinic where I worked over the summer, I was only going to be there about 3-4 months, so they never got me a dosimeter, and I just didn't assist with x-rays. I though it was actually mandatory for you to have a badge, or at least that is how it was presented to me.

As a side note, they had also had a few people leave during lunch and never come back (not after working there for any significant amount of time, like they just left during their first day). I couldn't for the life of me figure out why, as I loved working there.
Yeah I was kind of surprised I was able to do it. I did x-rays on a regular basis during my internship, but everyone who wasn't with a badge (keepers and interns) or gowned up scurried behind the lead walls whenever the film was being taken. Does anyone know if there are any legit requirements to have a badge?

It sounded like the two ladies who left had actually been there for a decent chunk of time and were "fed up" and just peaced out. I mean, to each your own, but I could never up and leave like that. I'd hate to burn any bridges. I would never have to go back if I didn't want to, and giving two weeks is always the professional thing to do.

Well that's exactly what I thought. It seems kind of weird to make sure I'm not going to up and leave in order to provide me with safety equipment. I don't know if there is some type of database the radiation levels are recorded in (what if I get another job? What about my levels when I do these things in vet school and beyond? Do the numbers follow me?)

Yeah I was kind of surprised I was able to do it. I did x-rays on a regular basis during my internship, but everyone who wasn't with a badge (keepers and interns) or gowned up scurried behind the lead walls whenever the film was being taken. Does anyone know if there are any legit requirements to have a badge?

It sounded like the two ladies who left had actually been there for a decent chunk of time and were "fed up" and just peaced out. I mean, to each your own, but I could never up and leave like that. I'd hate to burn any bridges. I would never have to go back if I didn't want to, and giving two weeks is always the professional thing to do.
I feel like OSHA would be all over that and your hospital would be very much not OSHA compliant and face fines if you are doing X-rays without a badge.