RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As far as I know, this applies to feral dogs and cats too, since the only animals excluded from protection are "circus animals, wild animals and animals used in experiments." Unless she can prove the cat was causing damage/harm...but not even sure she'd have a case then. She's been questioned today (?) or will be questioned by police sometime this week. I guess we'll see what happens...

Right, here's the definition of "animal" in the statute for cruelty to nonlivestock animals (Sec. 42.092):
"Animal" means a domesticated living creature, including any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured. The term does not include an uncaptured wild living creature or a livestock animal.

Simple presence on someone's property isn't a justifiable defense, either. These are the permissible defenses:
(d) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that:
(1) the actor had a reasonable fear of bodily injury to the actor or to another person by a dangerous wild animal as defined by Section 822.101, Health and Safety Code; or
(2) the actor was engaged in bona fide experimentation for scientific research.​
(e) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (b)(2) or (6) that:
(1) the animal was discovered on the person's property in the act of or after injuring or killing the person's livestock animals or damaging the person's crops and that the person killed or injured the animal at the time of this discovery; or
(2) the person killed or injured the animal within the scope of the person's employment as a public servant or in furtherance of activities or operations associated with electricity transmission or distribution, electricity generation or operations associated with the generation of electricity, or natural gas delivery.​
(f) It is an exception to the application of this section that the conduct engaged in by the actor is a generally accepted and otherwise lawful:
(1) form of conduct occurring solely for the purpose of or in support of:
(A) fishing, hunting, or trapping; or
(B) wildlife management, wildlife or depredation control, or shooting preserve practices as regulated by state and federal law; or​
(2) animal husbandry or agriculture practice involving livestock animals.​

From what I understand, the Waco case was controversial because it departed from precedent.

If the cat really is Tiger, then the owners may also have grounds for a civil case, though I don't know what kind of damages they could possibly seek. In the states I've lived in, you can at least recover the cost of the animal, but Texas may not even allow for that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually read today that Tiger, the pet cat that was likely killed here, was in fact a patient at the veterinary clinic for which she worked. And why she would ever think that particular cat was feral is beyond me - I have taken care of many feral/stray cats for rescue groups over the years and I have never seen a feral cat look that well fed or have such clean fur. Feral cats are loaded with both ectoparasites and endoparasites. Their fur is dull and any white spots are usually gray to yellow in color, and they are usually extremely thin, likely from a combination of simple starvation and the effect of their parasite load. They do not look like this cat. She just called it feral in an attempt to justify what she had done. I think even she knew that holding up a cat by an arrow through its head and saying how happy she was that she killed the neighbor's pet cat wouldn't go over well. I live in a suburb and have at least 5 of my neighbors' cats wandering through my backyard on a daily basis, trying to catch my fat squirrels. It would never occur to me to kill them for that. And I would consider any veterinarian who would think about doing so to have some serious mental issues going on.
Idk...I have seen some pretty good looking feral cats. Again, not trying to justify her actions by any means, but the cats around my house are pretty well fed. There's a few here and there that could use some TLC, but the majority don't look too bad.

Even aside from whether or not this is close enough to plain old hunting to have been an "okay" thing for her to do, what's with the posing with it like a trophy?I totally get hunting out of necessity, to feed your family or to get rid of pests, whatever..but why the giddy, smiling pictures with the corpses? How is that reflecting that we take our sobering responsibility to end our cleints' pets lives seriously? Deciding to end an animal's life is a serious judgment call vets make on a daily basis in their professional lives, so why *should* we be okay with her sudden flippancy when it was outside of work?
That was my main issue with Lindsey's post. Vets of all people should be the last to brandish a dead animal as a trophy, IMHO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even aside from whether or not this is close enough to plain old hunting to have been an "okay" thing for her to do, what's with the posing with it like a trophy?I totally get hunting out of necessity, to feed your family or to get rid of pests, whatever..but why the giddy, smiling pictures with the corpses? How is that reflecting that we take our sobering responsibility to end our cleints' pets lives seriously? Deciding to end an animal's life is a serious judgment call vets make on a daily basis in their professional lives, so why *should* we be okay with her sudden flippancy when it was outside of work?
That was my main issue with Lindsey's post. Vets of all people should be the last to brandish a dead animal as a trophy, IMHO.
Like I said, there's some speculation it was photoshopped.

Definition given in the statute:

"'Animal' means a domesticated living creature, including any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured. The term does not include an uncaptured wild living creature or a livestock animal."

I guess she might try and claim under one of the Subsections:

"(1) the animal was discovered on the person's property in the act of or after injuring or killing the person's livestock animals or damaging the person's crops and that the person killed or injured the animal at the time of this discovery; or

(2) the person killed or injured the animal within the scope of the person's employment as a public servant or in furtherance of activities or operations associated with electricity transmission or distribution, electricity generation or operations associated with the generation of electricity, or natural gas delivery."

But I have a feeling that using a bow and arrow (which has been confirmed that she was practicing with prior to the incident, I've heard) will not be in her favor. I honestly don't know what will happen.

Edit: I'm too slow!

Reactions: 1 user
Like I said, there's some speculation it was photoshopped.

In the now deleted Facebook post, Lindsey's mother posted saying that Lindsey was practicing in the yard and that she and someone else "saw it go down."

Even aside from whether or not this is close enough to plain old hunting to have been an "okay" thing for her to do, .

I don't believe anyone said it was "plain old hunting" OR ok. I used the term hunting in response to someone calling it "euthanasia" because I feel it's closer to hunting than euthanasia, and to me it makes no sense to weigh her action as if it were a "euthanasia". I definitely did NOT imply it was "plain old hunting", though.

Also, this was copied straight from her blog:

"Current interests: Living my days to the fullest, finding the meaning of happiness, killing things or trying to kill things (animals, a full glass of whiskey, hangovers, etc)..."

:shrug:

It's entirely up to you how you respond to this sort of story. I would just hope that none of you make a mistake on social media and get the kind of death threats to both you and your families that she is receiving. Or get called vitriolic names.

Heck, I think she's in the wrong. But I also believe in letting due process occur instead of yelling what a bitch she is and how she should be torn down. I also try to see things from other people's perspectives. I'm just saying that even though the gut instinct is to react emotionally, that hurts the cause.

Hopefully she learns from this. Because she has a lot to learn from this if everything we think we know is true.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

"Current interests: Living my days to the fullest, finding the meaning of happiness, killing things or trying to kill things (animals, a full glass of whiskey, hangovers, etc)..."

honestly, I think that was an attempt at humor. Poorly done as it was.

I don't believe anyone said it was "plain old hunting" OR ok. I used the term hunting in response to someone calling it "euthanasia" because I feel it's closer to hunting than euthanasia, and to me it makes no sense to weigh her action as if it were a "euthanasia". I definitely did NOT imply it was "plain old hunting", though.
I wasn't referring to your post, I don't think. Someone a few posts back (or maybe pages at this point ;)) asked if we'd be bothered if it had been a rabbit, a deer, or some other wild animal that is more generally accepted as okay to be hunted (even by vets) without any threat of public stigmatizing. I was responding to that by arguing that I'm bothered even by the vets I know who pose, grinning ear to ear, with something like a dead deer. I understand we're sort of acclimatized to seeing that as somehow different from killing a cat, but I tend to fall on the other side of the argument. I wouldn't use the dead deer to justify the dead cat, because I think it's tacky to make light of any animal's death anyway, no matter how necessary the death was.

God, I don't blame you... I'm starting to understand why the public has been starting to turn on vets lately. Maybe there should be some type of psychological/morality testing for admittance to veterinary schools... Never thought I'd start to be ashamed that I'm in this profession.

God, I don't blame you... I'm starting to understand why the public has been starting to turn on vets lately. Maybe there should be some type of psychological/morality testing for admittance to veterinary schools... Never thought I'd start to be ashamed that I'm in this profession.

Ethical questions are pretty common in admissions interviews. Now, whether someone actually means the answer they give, well...that's another story.

honestly, I think that was an attempt at humor. Poorly done as it was.

A VERY poorly done attempt at humor. Especially given what's going on now. And her career choice.

I would just hope that none of you make a mistake on social media and get the kind of death threats to both you and your families that she is receiving. Or get called vitriolic names.

Well, this is part of my original point -- this wasn't "making a mistake on social media." The mistake was shooting a cat with an arrow, and posting about it on Facebook was a secondary mistake. If someone else had filmed this and leaked it to the press, you would've seen the same reaction, and it wouldn't be a "social media mistake." The issue goes beyond someone posting something on the internet that they shouldn't have. There really is a difference between, say, Trevor Noah getting called out for jokes he posted on Twitter and people behaving poorly in real life getting caught because someone documented it and put it online.

But I also believe in letting due process occur instead of yelling what a bitch she is and how she should be torn down.

I'm a firm believer in due process, too, and believe she should be treated fairly by the police and by those who have the power to take action on her license, but I'm also not going to completely refrain from making any kind of judgment or having any opinion. I bet there have been plenty of other news stories that everyone who's posting in this thread has reacted to in a similar way without knowing 100% of the facts.

Not seeing where people in this thread are yelling about what a bitch she is, though. That and the death threats aren't something I agree with.

I kind of wonder what her classmates would have to say about her.

Not seeing where people in this thread are yelling about what a bitch she is, though. That and the death threats aren't something I agree with.

The "bitch" comments are on VIN, which seems a particularly unprofessional response. The wishing-her-death stuff is in a variety of places.

Well, this is part of my original point -- this wasn't "making a mistake on social media." The mistake was shooting a cat with an arrow, and posting about it on Facebook was a secondary mistake. If someone else had filmed this and leaked it to the press, you would've seen the same reaction, and it wouldn't be a "social media mistake." The issue goes beyond someone posting something on the internet that they shouldn't have. There really is a difference between, say, Trevor Noah getting called out for jokes he posted on Twitter and people behaving poorly in real life getting caught because someone documented it and put it online.

I'm a firm believer in due process, too, and believe she should be treated fairly by the police and by those who have the power to take action on her license, but I'm also not going to completely refrain from making any kind of judgment or having any opinion. I bet there have been plenty of other news stories that everyone who's posting in this thread has reacted to in a similar way without knowing 100% of the facts.

Just go to any of the links. That is a huge problem, if you ask me.

I really can't say that the first mistake was shooting the cat because we don't know the context. My gut feeling is that it was her first mistake. But I have no proof yet and so I won't judge her. It is legal in TX to shoot a cat for damaging your livestock or crops. We don't know if that is what happened in this case or not. But if it did, well, it is legal whether or not I like it.

I 100% believe that she has shown incredibly poor judgement. As I have stated over and over again. This pertains to all actions. But I won't judge her myself for a story I only know 1 side of.

The "bitch" comments are on VIN, which seems a particularly unprofessional response. The wishing-her-death stuff is in a variety of places.

That's a shame, re: the comments on VIN. As for the death wishes, I've seen those all over news sites (and that happens with pretty much any story involving animals or children getting hurt), but I thought it was obvious that wishing death on her is a remarkably crappy and immature thing to do, even if she was responsible for killing a million cats and two million dogs and someone's grandmother.

That's a shame, re: the comments on VIN. As for the death wishes, I've seen those all over news sites (and that happens with pretty much any story involving animals or children getting hurt), but I thought it was obvious that wishing death on her is a remarkably crappy and immature thing to do, even if she was responsible for killing a million cats and two million dogs and someone's grandmother.
the comments on her blog are even worse. People said she should hunt her own grandfather etc

The fact that you have already condemned this person speaks volumes. There is a reason we have due process.

1. She truly thought the cat was feral and the feral cat was damaging her own animals or property
2. some have suggested photoshopping or a hoax - perhaps someone hacked her account. I'm not saying that's the case but the least we should do is hear what she has to say before condemning her completely.

Regardless of anything else, I think this shows incredibly poor judgment and I don't doubt that she will have trouble finding any veterinary employment. Wishing her bodily harm and death is an extreme reaction and problematic in it's own right.
The fact that you have already condemned this person speaks volumes. There is a reason we have due process.

1. She truly thought the cat was feral and the feral cat was damaging her own animals or property
2. some have suggested photoshopping or a hoax - perhaps someone hacked her account. I'm not saying that's the case but the least we should do is hear what she has to say before condemning her completely.

Regardless of anything else, I think this shows incredibly poor judgment and I don't doubt that she will have trouble finding any veterinary employment. Wishing her bodily harm and death is an extreme reaction and problematic in it's own right.
Wait. When did I wish her bodily harm?

I really can't say that the first mistake was shooting the cat because we don't know the context. My gut feeling is that it was her first mistake.

I 100% believe that she has shown incredibly poor judgement. As I have stated over and over again. This pertains to all actions. But I won't judge her myself for a story I only know 1 side of.

I agree with this.

I think her first mistake was shooting the cat, but I can't say it was for sure. I don't have the context, only the supposed facebook posts which easily could have been tampered with. So, I can't make a judgement on that or on why she shot the cat or anything. If everything on those facebook posts is 100% true, then I definitely agree that shooting the cat was her initial mistake.

However, her biggest "mistake" was the post to social media. It was thoughtless, careless and showed incredibly poor judgement and is what caused her to get fired. This is also what will cause her to most likely never have a job in the vet field again, regardless of any outcomes from prosecution.

There are some death threats being made by actual vets and vet techs on some of the veterinary specific facebook groups that have reported the story. It is quite disturbing and is why I said earlier that I am disappointed some people in the profession are willing to stoop so low.

And I've been called all manner of vitriolic names and such on social media. She's a tough girl according to her own admission, she can handle it. And if she can't, she should shut her computer off and go live off the grid for awhile. Hope she can kill something bigger than feral tomcats to subsist on though.

...seriously? attempt at being funny aside, any professional would understand that sarcasm/crude jokes can and will be taken seriously. this makes her sound like she enjoys euthanasia. It also makes me wonder if she has done anything like this before.

I truly hope it wasn't someone hacking her account, if that were the case... it's too horrible to imagine, honestly.

I totally agree with those saying that wishing her bodily harm, etc, is unacceptable. Her career is most likely done at this point, unless there's some side of the story we've yet to hear. She did a dumb, possibly unethical thing... but that is no excuse for a witch hunt.

I'm with @nyanko - assuming it's not somehow all a hoax, which seems unlikely - then that means she shot a pet cat in the head point blank with an arrow. And then bragged about it. I don't care:
- if she didn't know it was a pet
- if it peed on her tires every day
- if it ate her beloved pet gerbil
- if it died instantly and can somehow classify as 'humane' in that regard
- if she considered it hunting, just like a deer or rabbit
- if she is sorry, either for doing it or for getting caught

She shot a cat. In the head. With an arrow.

F*ck her.

The end.

I'm with @nyanko - assuming it's not somehow all a hoax, which seems unlikely - then that means she shot a pet cat in the head point blank with an arrow. And then bragged about it. I don't care:
- if she didn't know it was a pet
- if it peed on her tires every day
- if it ate her beloved pet gerbil
- if it died instantly and can somehow classify as 'humane' in that regard
- if she considered it hunting, just like a deer or rabbit
- if she is sorry, either for doing it or for getting caught

She shot a cat. In the head. With an arrow.

F*ck her.

The end.

I'm with you. Like seriously even if she thought it was feral crap! She works with animals just like this one everyday at her job. Is she often thinking of putting arrows and bullets though her patients' heads while she's working? As a pet guardian I would be extremely concerned letting my animals under her hands. And I don't exactly wish her bodily harm but if she did fall into a lion pit, I wouldn't exactly cry or feel bad for her..

And I've been called all manner of vitriolic names and such on social media. She's a tough girl according to her own admission, she can handle it. And if she can't, she should shut her computer off and go live off the grid for awhile. Hope she can kill something bigger than feral tomcats to subsist on though.
i am so happy you are posting again. I miss your brand of humor on here.

1) I get where @dyachei is coming from. She is trying to withhold judgment, and not trash a fellow professional without all the evidence. And that is fine and admirable, but since I am not a vet, and never going to be one, I am quite content to accept the obvious, and not look for excuses, and condemn her. If she (the alleged murderous huntress, not dyachei) had a reasonable explanation it most likely would have come out right away. Dyachei's approach is quite reasonable, I am just ok with the general consensus of how this went down.

2) I am still not getting LIS' view. To me, he is splitting hairs that don't really matter in this case. Was the person hunting or mudering or euthanizing etc? It is all just words. I agree there are clearly some people who are anti-hunter in general in their comments, but shooting a cat that may be your neighbor's pet, or worse your patient? Cmon. Legalities aside, I personally don't really want to see/hear of vets out hunting common pet animals. Hunting for wildlife is legal and acceptable to most. If you need to push the envelope and hunt fluffy and kitty (if it were legal, which it does not appear to be for even feral fluffy or feral kitty) , don't become a freaking vet.

3) As for the vitriol directed at this person, sure some of it is over the top, but if people don't understand that pets are the equivalent to children to a sizeable population of Americans, then they are going to get themselves in a heap of trouble if they don't realize that killing these pets is going to get this kind of response. No one blinks when we want to kill a murderer (well most people don't anyway)..... for many now, murder of a pet is not a whole lot different from killing a child. YOU may disagree with this, but it is a reality that needs to be dealt with. Again, personally I wouldn't post such a comment, but I may fleetingly think it, and I wouldn't be surprised when I hear it from pet lovers. It is an emotional issue that is going to be met with an emotional response.

Those are my beliefs, and since this is the internet, I have no intention of changing them. :p

Reactions: 3 users
2) I am still not getting LIS' view. To me, he is splitting hairs that don't really matter in this case. Was the person hunting or mudering or euthanizing etc? It is all just words.

I guess that I feel that words matter. If you don't (which seems to be what you're saying), then, like kcoughli came to a consistent view from her premises, you're probably coming to a consistent view from yours. To me, I think words matter because it's how we communicate, so I can only interpret you based on your words. Further, words can be pretty loaded in meaning, and can be charged emotionally, which can drive people toward a more emotional response and further from a rational one. So yes, to me, the words matter. Murder is *specifically* defined as killing a human being, for instance. So if you say she murdered the animal, you're inherently arguing that the animal is equitable to an human.

Maybe you don't mean that. Maybe you do. I can't tell because all I know to do is interpret the words you choose.

I'm not criticizing you. If you feel words are just words and it doesn't matter ... fine. I can respect that, even though I don't understand it and it doesn't make sense to me.

And, as I've already explained, I wasn't saying that "gosh, all she was doing was hunting, so it was ok." I was saying that what she did ISN'T euthanasia (at least, by any common definition) and therefore it's irrational to judge her by applying euthanasia standards. Nothing more, nothing less.

Regarding the vitriol, nobody is surprised to see so much vitriol. I just think that people <within> the industry should be more professional and restrained in their comments. Specifically, we should condemn action like what has been described, but we should be more tempered - in my opinion - about what the outcome specifically to this person should be and let the appropriate processes take place. Namely, that the criminal and veterinary authorities in Texas do their thing. For us to yell from 2000 miles away that this should happen and that should happen is just a mob mentality, and one that I would hope none of us end up on the wrong side of. I have confidence that the processes in place will (usually, with occasional grand failures) work.

Of *course* we all react emotionally. I know exactly what went through my head when I first saw that picture. But that doesn't have to be how we express ourselves about it. We can choose to be professional and restrained. And this isn't meant to be snooty - I certainly struggle/fail to keep my lid on sometimes.

LIS out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I agree with the people within the industry need to be more professional in their word choices. I understand emotional reactions, heck my initial reaction was emotional and the words coming through my head at first weren't nice things. However, I have never wished to see her dead or harmed. Ever.

Not too long ago, Dr. Koshi, was harassed and sent death threats by members of the general public. They ridiculed her and tormented her until she committed suicide. When that happened, the veterinary community was very upset and rightfully so. They asked that people allow the courts to handle disputes and to not go after someone and attack them. They pushed that it is unnecessary and illegal to harass someone to the point of their suicide (and even before that point). And I agree.

Now I understand the two cases are completely different. However, in the US we are innocent until proven guilty and even if we are found guilty of a crime, that does not excuse a person from harassing and threatening another human being. You don't get to evade the law just because someone else was found guilty of a crime that you don't like. If someone murders your child and you shoot the SOB in the court room, you will still be charged with murder yourself. However, it seems that our veterinary community has forgotten about Dr. Koshi and are now acting the same way towards this vet as the public was towards Dr. Koshi.

How the hell are people supposed to take us seriously if we are going to be hypocritical in our own actions? Regardless of what was done. If we are ok to break the law and harass and wish death onto a member of the veterinary community without waiting for any court processes to take place then why do we ask the public to hold off judgement? Why should they? Why are we exempt and they aren't?

It is rather sad when you see vets and members of the profession being so incredibly hypocritical in their actions. And while the two scenarios are completely different there is still that underlying theme of, "you are innocent until proven guilty" and "let the law system work the way it was designed instead of attacking a person because attacking someone is illegal."

And yes, there are members of this profession threatening her and her family.

Reactions: 3 users
Not too long ago, Dr. Koshi, was harassed and sent death threats by members of the general public. They ridiculed her and tormented her until she committed suicide.

This is something that came up in my PBL group today. She's now being harassed online (and I wouldn't be surprised if she was afraid to step foot outside of her house). She's lost her job, probably a lot of friends, and maybe even her license -- and now she's receiving death threats. What if she does kill herself? I've seen it take a lot less than this to cause someone to spiral into an awful depression and we all know the statistics on mental health, depression, and suicide in vet med. Hell, my school has an entire lecture devoted to it in one of my classes for second year.

On an unrelated note, who charges students for shadowing? Has anyone ever heard of this before? It's the first time it's ever happened to me. This large equine practice wants me to pay $35 to shadow a resident for 5 hours on one day only. To get even 50 hours, I'd have to pay them $350, and it's not even clear to me that they let you do it more than once. I can't see any reason for charging other than to keep the number of people trying to shadow down. There are so few large animal opportunities out here that it's really disappointing because this place is amazing. Dammit. :(

fwiw, i agree with dvmd and lis to the extent people WITHIN the industry should be showing more restraint. whenever someone is speaking as a professional they should reflect well on the profession. didnt realize vetts themselves were part of the lync mob.

On an unrelated note, who charges students for shadowing? Has anyone ever heard of this before? It's the first time it's ever happened to me. This large equine practice wants me to pay $35 to shadow a resident for 5 hours on one day only. To get even 50 hours, I'd have to pay them $350, and it's not even clear to me that they let you do it more than once. I can't see any reason for charging other than to keep the number of people trying to shadow down. There are so few large animal opportunities out here that it's really disappointing because this place is amazing. Dammit. :(

Wow. I ... huh. I'm finding it hard to articulate rationally why that seems sketchy, but my initial reaction is that that's sketchy.

Reactions: 5 users
Wow. I ... huh. I'm finding it hard to articulate rationally why that seems sketchy, but my initial reaction is that that's sketchy.

I know, right? I don't want to share too many details, but this place is legit. A teaching hospital. I was pretty surprised.

Maybe they're paying for liability coverage with the money. But then you'd think they'd tell you that.

That's what I would've thought, but in the email, the staff member said I'd need to sign a release/waiver/indemnification form and bring proof of health insurance, so that can't be it.

Just as an update on the Texas vet, apparently the Sheriff peeps finished their investigation and turned it over to the DA for animal cruelty charges.

That should help the Texas board with their decision, I would think. I believe they don't <need> a conviction (or even actual charges) to take action against a veterinarian on a complaint, but I'm sure it helps the process along.