RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
fwiw, i agree with dvmd and lis to the extent people WITHIN the industry should be showing more restraint. whenever someone is speaking as a professional they should reflect well on the profession. didnt realize vetts themselves were part of the lync mob.

I don't think anyone regardless of being in or not in the profession should be harassing and threatening a person. Harassment and threats directed at an individual are illegal in every state in this country. Nobody should be threatening her and those who are if caught should be prosecuted as well. I don't get why you'd think it is ok for ANYONE regardless of their connection to the veterinary profession to harass somebody and to break the law themselves. Like I said, just because someone murders a child doesn't give anyone the right to cause that individual physical harm or to even threaten physical harm (no matter how much you might think it). The law still applies no matter how horrific the crime committed by the individual was. You don't get a free card to break laws simply because the other person did (self defense being the only exception). You can think all the bad crap you want but once you harass or threaten someone (verbally or in writing), you are violating laws, what you do for a living simply doesn't matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think anyone regardless of being in or not in the profession should be harassing and threatening a person. Harassment and threats directed at an individual are illegal in every state in this country.

I totally agree that no one should be harassing or threatening her. But I think people have been referring to general comments online, like in the comments section of news articles. There's a fairly clear difference between saying "Whatshisface is a horrible POS" in a comment on a news story about Whatshisface and repeatedly trying to directly contact Whatshisface to tell him what a horrible POS he is. If commenting on a news article about how awful someone is were a crime, every comment section in every article about every politician would contain criminal statements.

I aced my Biology test today. Guess what I am going to hear about from the wife when I get home...

CAM00281.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I would've thought, but in the email, the staff member said I'd need to sign a release/waiver/indemnification form and bring proof of health insurance, so that can't be it.

That's not for liability on the client end though. Those things prevent you from suing them if you get hurt. Liability in this case might also be preventing clients from suing them if YOU make a mistake or hurt an animal accidentally.

However, still sketchy.

That's not for liability on the client end though. Those things prevent you from suing them if you get hurt. Liability in this case might also be preventing clients from suing them if YOU make a mistake or hurt an animal accidentally.

However, still sketchy.

Good point. I didn't think of it that way. I mean, they were pretty clear about shadows not being allowed to touch any animal or do anything except stand back and watch, but it could be a just-in-case/CYA policy in case a shadow breaks the rules and does touch something before the resident or a staff member can tell them to keep their hands off.

A fee for shadowing is just something I'd never heard of before and was wondering if it's as weird and sketchy as it seems. I'm so hard pressed for any large animal experience that I might have to do this anyway.

Good point. I didn't think of it that way. I mean, they were pretty clear about shadows not being allowed to touch any animal or do anything except stand back and watch, but it could be a just-in-case/CYA policy in case a shadow breaks the rules and does touch something before the resident or a staff member can tell them to keep their hands off.

A fee for shadowing is just something I'd never heard of before and was wondering if it's as weird and sketchy as it seems. I'm so hard pressed for any large animal experience that I might have to do this anyway.
That's still super weird to me. I shadowed in our teaching hospital as an undergrad and just had to fill out the bajillions of forms. I'd ask them nicely what the fee is for?

Roomie's door somehow either got left open or didn't close well enough, so my food hound of a dog got in there. Just fed him his dinner and he didn't eat (got him to eat it with water) so I got really panicky because he has NEVER not eaten his food since after the first week I had him. Turns out it's because he probably just ate over 2 cups of other dog food. I didn't think anything about it cause I figured she left the door open cause there wasn't any food and he had been downstairs when I got home. This is definitely not helping our monitoring of his calorie intake.

fwiw, i agree with dvmd and lis to the extent people WITHIN the industry should be showing more restraint. whenever someone is speaking as a professional they should reflect well on the profession. didnt realize vetts themselves were part of the lync mob.

Miss WyoTex Feral Cat-niss is no colleague of mine so I see no reason to censor my thoughts.

I don't think anyone regardless of being in or not in the profession should be harassing and threatening a person. Harassment and threats directed at an individual are illegal in every state in this country. Nobody should be threatening her and those who are if caught should be prosecuted as well. I don't get why you'd think it is ok for ANYONE regardless of their connection to the veterinary profession to harass somebody and to break the law themselves. Like I said, just because someone murders a child doesn't give anyone the right to cause that individual physical harm or to even threaten physical harm (no matter how much you might think it). The law still applies no matter how horrific the crime committed by the individual was. You don't get a free card to break laws simply because the other person did (self defense being the only exception). You can think all the bad crap you want but once you harass or threaten someone (verbally or in writing), you are violating laws, what you do for a living simply doesn't matter.
I was talking about the negative comments about her in general. Of course any direct harassment or threats are ridiculous and illegal.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow. I ... huh. I'm finding it hard to articulate rationally why that seems sketchy, but my initial reaction is that that's sketchy.
Sketchy? i guess. More like really money grubbing, squeeze blood from a stone types. Whatever happened to giving back to the profession?

I would think pretty poorly of any clinic I heard doing that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't see any reason for charging other than to keep the number of people trying to shadow down.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It sounds absurd to me too, but I've heard of vth's charging thousands for 4th year externs which also sounds absurd

It sounds absurd to me too, but I've heard of vth's charging thousands for 4th year externs which also sounds absurd

Dear lord...makes me glad that I'm not going anywhere. although I was just given the option to go to NCSU for exotics but is likely (we technically had to have things approved back in Jan) too late to get it improved/fit it in.

Dear lord...makes me glad that I'm not going anywhere. although I was just given the option to go to NCSU for exotics but is likely (we technically had to have things approved back in Jan) too late to get it improved/fit it in.
i am almost certain NCSU does not charge, but some schools do. exotics here is super awesome, but our caseload is hit or miss and ultimately not that high just fyi

i am almost certain NCSU does not charge, but some schools do. exotics here is super awesome, but our caseload is hit or miss and ultimately not that high just fyi
AVMA accredited schools have a reciprocity agreement (AFAIK).

I have two exotics rotations here and we've been crazy busy lately, so it's all good if it doesn't work out. I just thought I'd try since I've heard good things about the program there.

Sketchy? i guess. More like really money grubbing, squeeze blood from a stone types. Whatever happened to giving back to the profession?

I would think pretty poorly of any clinic I heard doing that.

It's one of the facilities associated with a school. I guess I wouldn't be as bothered by it if this were a 100% private clinic, even though it would still seem sketchy. Maybe I'm being a baby, but it kind of bothers me a little that a facility that's part of a public university system to which I (gladly!) contribute taxes would do some nickle-and-dime thing like this. If I do decide to pay them and do it anyway, I might politely ask them why they require a fee to see if the liability theory is right. I think the more cynical interpretation is correct, but who knows?

It really does amaze me the types of news that can become "viral" and what nobody really knows about or seems to blink an eye about...

Here is an even worse case, thank dog this man's license was revoked years ago, but I didn't see any outrage back when he threatened a pet owner and another vet...

http://tucson.com/news/blogs/police...cle_68529f7e-e204-11e4-b1ca-032fca177e12.html

I don't see this man getting much hate. I'll never understand what makes one story more "popular" and "viral" than another.

It's one of the facilities associated with a school. I guess I wouldn't be as bothered by it if this were a 100% private clinic, even though it would still seem sketchy. Maybe I'm being a baby, but it kind of bothers me a little that a facility that's part of a public university system to which I (gladly!) contribute taxes would do some nickle-and-dime thing like this. If I do decide to pay them and do it anyway, I might politely ask them why they require a fee to see if the liability theory is right. I think the more cynical interpretation is correct, but who knows?

I find it odd as well that they would charge people to shadow. I would hope they have some reason that isn't just about $$$$, but I can't think of a reason right off.

Darn. I missed the entire discussion about the cat vet situation. Darn you endocrinology test!

It really does amaze me the types of news that can become "viral" and what nobody really knows about or seems to blink an eye about...

Here is an even worse case, thank dog this man's license was revoked years ago, but I didn't see any outrage back when he threatened a pet owner and another vet...

http://tucson.com/news/blogs/police...cle_68529f7e-e204-11e4-b1ca-032fca177e12.html

I don't see this man getting much hate. I'll never understand what makes one story more "popular" and "viral" than another.
I live very close to where David Rappaport worked. He's the vet that killed his pregnant girlfriend so his wife wouldn't find out. He all but left directions to his house at the murder scene.

I don't know. The internet is a weird place. Dr. Lindsey's story probably only became as "popular" as it did because it originated on facebook. I doubt it would have been big news otherwise. People frequent facebook a lot more than any of your typical news sources, so information is going to travel a lot faster there. News sources see it getting views, they pick it up so they can get in on the action, suddenly you've got a media firestorm on your hands. It's like that stupid dress going around tumblr before it was picked up by Buzzfeed and it all went downhill from there.

I don't know. The internet is a weird place. Dr. Lindsey's story probably only became as "popular" as it did because it originated on facebook. I doubt it would have been big news otherwise. People frequent facebook a lot more than any of your typical news sources, so information is going to travel a lot faster there. News sources see it getting views, they pick it up so they can get in on the action, suddenly you've got a media firestorm on your hands. It's like that stupid dress going around tumblr before it was picked up by Buzzfeed and it all went downhill from there.

dressgrumpy.png

Reactions: 6 users
But for serious..... that dress is definitively pink with purple polka dots. I don't understand everyone's problem here.

It has a lot to do with what time of day things are posted. That's why a lot of posts originating from the US get such high numbers on sites like Reddit, as opposed to their Australian counterparts.

Holy crap, after almost a full year of being overworked and working long ass hours, I finally got a lil too sleepy driving home and got a lil too close to the guardrail. Thank goodness it just barely scraped the side of my car and barely left a mark, but that could have ended very badly. Now I must go to bed so I don't do it again tomorrow. Ahhh why are vet clinics open so early in the morning!?!?

Holy crap, after almost a full year of being overworked and working long ass hours, I finally got a lil too sleepy driving home and got a lil too close to the guardrail. Thank goodness it just barely scraped the side of my car and barely left a mark, but that could have ended very badly. Now I must go to bed so I don't do it again tomorrow. Ahhh why are vet clinics open so early in the morning!?!?

Please take care of yourself!!!

My summer has officially started because I had to drop my only class with a final. Tip: Don't attempt to work 35 hours and pass a 5 hour physiology 2 course (at least I can't). What's even more frustrating is that I made an A in undergrad physiology, and physiology 1 in grad school. At least I have the chance to redeem myself in vet school..... -_-

So glad you're all right!!

I wonder if it's as simple as picture vs no picture. The photo with the cat is pretty eye catching and I feel like people pay more attention to pictures than plain headlines.

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if it's as simple as picture vs no picture. The photo with the cat is pretty eye catching and I feel like people pay more attention to pictures than plain headlines.

Definitely. And the farther down you have the read to get the details in the story, the less people are going to make it that far. There's so much stuff on the internet, attention spans are short...

Holy cow! Side of the road power nap next time. Nothing's worth dying over.

Finally found a seemingly perfect place to stay in Chicago this summer. Lease length was perfect, it was cheap, not too far from campus, everything coming up roses. I'm literally getting the details to mail in a check for the first month and I get a reply from the subleaser saying basically "oops, I just assumed pets were okay, but it turns out the landlord isn't cool with pets, my bad." UGH! Who just assumes pets are allowed in apartments?!

For God's sake just let me transfer! Yet again there is a spot at the time of the application, but just kidding we actually don't have a spot.

Finally found a seemingly perfect place to stay in Chicago this summer. Lease length was perfect, it was cheap, not too far from campus, everything coming up roses. I'm literally getting the details to mail in a check for the first month and I get a reply from the subleaser saying basically "oops, I just assumed pets were okay, but it turns out the landlord isn't cool with pets, my bad." UGH! Who just assumes pets are allowed in apartments?!
Almost everyone. Summer subleaser insisted pets were okay, after asking ten times before moving in. Turns out they charged me $500 for carpet cleaning because of the puppy I was sitting. :mad:

New rant, accidentally set off the alarm at the research farm this morning, got it shut off in a semi-timely manner (that thing is loooooud), met up with my supervisors for the morning and went to work. Apparently the police showed up and no one was around, so my super supervisor sent me an e-mail asking what happened. If my last day wasn't next Friday, I think I'd be worried I was out of a job.
And we just had training on what to do if we accidentally set off the alarm :eggface:

New rant, accidentally set off the alarm at the research farm this morning, got it shut off in a semi-timely manner (that thing is loooooud), met up with my supervisors for the morning and went to work. Apparently the police showed up and no one was around, so my super supervisor sent me an e-mail asking what happened. If my last day wasn't next Friday, I think I'd be worried I was out of a job.
And we just had training on what to do if we accidentally set off the alarm :eggface:

On my first day in my new position at my last job, I accidently set off the silent alarm. Did not even realize I was near it (they had never told me where it was) until two campus police cars showed up. Thankfully the supervisor on duty at the time was just glad it was a false alarm and was mostly entertained by me freaking out at having done it. The other supervisor would have at best yelled at me, most likely demoted me to my old position. He must have never have told him, because the other one never said any thing about it. So don't worry, you're not the only one whose done it!

Minor whine: I started You Are Your Own Gym yesterday. My arms are killing me today.
I did that briefly last year. I just didn't have time for it. I found when I properly did the warm up and cool down stretches, I felt. Lot better. It was just real glitchy on my phone and would freeze up and I couldn't go back to see what I missed.

Yeah, it's my own fault. Too rushed getting out.

As an additional whine, I want to buy a treadmill. There's s really nice one on sale for like 70% off, but of course, I'm not actually in a position to buy it right now and won't be until June.

Minor whine: I started You Are Your Own Gym yesterday. My arms are killing me today.

I did an at home Barre workout today because it was raining and I didn't want to walk to the gym. Holy freaking plank variations. My abs and legs will likely be dead tomorrow and I just recovered from my circuit workout on Monday.

She was taken off life support, so now he's being charged with first degree murder. http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/Arizona-Vet-Dies-Husband-Charged/