RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How does that work? What does your sister have to do with anything for you?

My reasoning is that they assume that my parents will now contribute to my education.

Members don't see this ad.

He brought it up again! Now talking about contract negotiations and bringing up a hypothetical case of a female vet in her first year of employment working for a 45 year old man (all of this he specifically stated) and wanting to get out of her contract because her boss was making it a hostile working environment because he was upset she was pregnant and couldn't do surgeries because of the anesthesia.

Why?? Why do you phrase it in a way that makes it sound like you agree with the "45 year old male practice owner" and the silly female pregnant vet didn't look at her contract ahead of time and is now stuck??

Why are you making my head explode??

He brought it up again! Now talking about contract negotiations and bringing up a hypothetical case of a female vet in her first year of employment working for a 45 year old man (all of this he specifically stated) and wanting to get out of her contract because her boss was making it a hostile working environment because he was upset she was pregnant and couldn't do surgeries because of the anesthesia.

Why?? Why do you phrase it in a way that makes it sound like you agree with the "45 year old male practice owner" and the silly female pregnant vet didn't look at her contract ahead of time and is now stuck??

I am currently reading the lovely debate a classmate of yours is having on her facebook, and then I realized that you are commenting on it, too. Hope you all can get this fixed for next year if enough of you rally together (at least, I sincerely hope!)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just lost hours and hours and hours of gene annotation work for a class. The moral of the story...? BACK UP YOUR CRAP.

uuuuuuuugggggggggghhhhhhhhhh

Just lost hours and hours and hours of gene annotation work for a class. The moral of the story...? BACK UP YOUR CRAP.

uuuuuuuugggggggggghhhhhhhhhh
Dang :/
That's why I save everything to OneDrive, Dropbox, or Google Drive. Sometimes more than one.

Oh man, my absolute favourite was in our business class, our guest lecturer was all about hypothetical examples for talking about debt, spending, frugality, etc. And it was always the FEMALE vet student who was fiscally irresponsible, FEMALE student that traveled during breaks instead of palpating dairy herds for extra experience, FEMALE student having pets while in vet school (the horror!), vs. the specifically MALE scrooge mcscroogerson who petsat every holiday, worked every weekend, never vacationed, only ate beans and rice, etc. Also lots of "when all you women get pregnant" talk, and just generally had a good chunk of the class bitching on fb the whole time. Any good tips were pretty much lost in the presentation because it was so infuriating to listen to him.

I was under the impression that a pregnant woman is more than able to do surgeries. It's masking down/xrays/other things she can't be around for, I thought?

Reactions: 1 user
I was under the impression that a pregnant woman is more than able to do surgeries. It's masking down/xrays/other things she can't be around for, I thought?
if you wear a respirator, you can even mask down patients (though that's not the best way to anesthetize).

I am currently reading the lovely debate a classmate of yours is having on her facebook, and then I realized that you are commenting on it, too. Hope you all can get this fixed for next year if enough of you rally together (at least, I sincerely hope!)
My user name makes it pretty obvious who I am :) but yes, hopefully this year we can try to get someone better for next years class

I'm sitting in a Professional Development class, with a couple of white male lecturers, telling me that men make more $ than women because they expect to make more, and then just dropped the topic and moved on. Um, thanks? Then they mention that most practice owners are middle-aged men. Dropped and moved on... okay?

Oh cripes, this reminds me of a pre-vet presentation I went to at a local uni. They had invited the admissions director for our state school and had two local vets speak after her. The whole tone of the second half was "so she just sold you on how great vet med is, and we're going to tell you how it's the worst thing and how you will absolutely ruin your life!". Which, alright, fine, but one of the vets was an older white male practice owner, and his whole spiel about the decline of the profession was pretty ridiculous.

He said that back in the good old days when vet med was awesome and was still a good career, vets were all entrepreneurs and they all dreamed of owning their own practice. You'd work hard as an associate for a few years and then move on to have your own clinic. Vets back then were ambitious and weren't content to rely on other people for work. I'm barely even paraphrasing. That's how he phrased things, in terms of people being ambitious, focused, and independent. But he said things changed when they started letting women into vet schools. That's when the profession started its decline. Because women, you see, aren't interested in being entrepreneurs. They don't care about being owners. They're perfectly content being associates because they only want to work 30-40 hours per week, even if it means relying on the Almighty Practice Owner. They lack the ambition that made vet med what it was and they'd rather have children than put in the hours necessary to become owners.

What kills me is that the other vet spoke before he did, and she talked about the current financial realities people face in vet med. She was a traveling boarded surgeon who I had previously heard of. She had a sterling reputation in my city and had to hustle and bust her behind to get to where she was. And when she talked, the only thing she really talked about is how much debt you'll rack up in vet school and how poor you'll be for the rest of your life. And after her "real talk," here comes Dr. Back In My Day, Sonny, talking about how those silly girls don't want to own practices because they'd rather have babies, all with absolutely no recognition of the financial difficulties that prevent young vets from buying a f-ing practice in the first place. It was awesome. Yeah, awesome.

What does the age or gender of the employer matter in any scenario if they are potentially breaking federal law?

There is this nifty piece of federal legislation called "The Pregnancy Discrimination Act" that deals directly with this topic. While some small businesses (less than 15 employees) are exempt from that law and other anti-discrimination laws like the ADA, in this world - where there are millions of people hooked into social media and the news 24/7 - even an allegation of discrimination could be disastrous for that business if it offends the social conscience of the community it serves.

We had a guy say that if you want to be happy and stay out of debt, don't get divorced. You should mate for life. Talk about :eyeroll: .
He also said we are adults and shouldn't live with our parents. He also suggested sellingb organs on the black market.

All serious comments.

One of my bosses suggested not putting your husband through veterinary school, after which he will cheat on you for years resulting in your divorce and bitterness 20 years later. I say that's a decent way to avoid debt..

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sitting in a Professional Development class, with a couple of white male lecturers, telling me that men make more $ than women because they expect to make more, and then just dropped the topic and moved on. Um, thanks? Then they mention that most practice owners are middle-aged men. Dropped and moved on... okay?

Then they proceeded to lose any shred of respect from me. A student had a question about maternity leave. What we got in response was an anecdote from the younger guy about his sister, also a vet, and her pregnancy, and how her boss was "totally cool with it." Thanks...? Then the older guy decides to chime in. Loosely quoted, "Please try not to get pregnant during your first year of employment, just use some form of birth control. Employers really appreciate it, and not just because maternity leave but also because they don't have to worry about pregnancy concerns like anesthesia and radiology."

What the actual ****.

My employers will have zero input in deciding when or if I choose to have a child. My reproductive decisions are MINE, not yours, not a future employers, not anyone else's!

I literally cannot handle listening to them anymore. And lucky for me, they are up all day today and tomorrow.

Edit: can we all just take a moment to respect the irony of this being a PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT class? Super professional.
Is your presenters name James Wilson?

tumblr_mauy89TzKX1qmo3obo2_500.gif

None of the anesthetic gases, except for nitrous oxide, have been proven to be teratogenic. But, better safe than sorry and all that for the parasite in your belly.

We had James Wilson speak to us this year and he didn't say anything like this...
he was extremely sexist and offensive when he spoke to our class a couple of years ago. his behavior outside of the classroom was quite unprofessional as well, and he was not invited back to teach at SGU because of it. perhaps he has realized his behavior and attitude towards women is unacceptable. we were essentially advised to marry a wealthy guy or sell our organs

he was extremely sexist and offensive when he spoke to our class a couple of years ago. his behavior outside of the classroom was quite unprofessional as well, and he was not invited back to teach at SGU because of it. perhaps he has realized his behavior and attitude towards women is unacceptable. we were essentially advised to marry a wealthy guy or sell our organs

He wasn't like that when he talked to us earlier this year, at least not that I remember, I tuned out a lot of his lectures because they were all day events of complete boredom. I can't say I really liked him either though, but more because he definitely had that ego that goes with the stereotypical lawyer. He definitely had some really good information about job searching and job contracts, so I focused on the good info he actually had and basically ignored everything else (because boring). I do remember him telling us that it is no employer's business what your future family plans are, so maybe he has changed his tune a bit?

He wasn't like that when he talked to us earlier this year, at least not that I remember, I tuned out a lot of his lectures because they were all day events of complete boredom. I can't say I really liked him either though, but more because he definitely had that ego that goes with the stereotypical lawyer. He definitely had some really good information about job searching and job contracts, so I focused on the good info he actually had and basically ignored everything else (because boring). I do remember him telling us that it is no employer's business what your future family plans are, so maybe he has changed his tune a bit?
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how I felt about him. He didn't seem sexist to me. One of our professors sat in on every single one of his talks though, and I can tell you that professor definitely would not have stood for any of that talk.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly how I felt about him. He didn't seem sexist to me. One of our professors sat in on every single one of his talks though, and I can tell you that professor definitely would not have stood for any of that talk.
hmm weird - maybe it really was a wake up call! i tuned out about 90% of what he said though, because borrrrring. and he was extremely anti-internship/specialization, which is my interest, so that turned me off too.

I understand I'm the one that decided to rent the apartment that's literally 15 feet away from a busy set of freight train tracks. I feel that they weren't totally honest with me about how loud/frequent trains go by (especially between the hours of 6pm-6am), but that's a separate issue I'm learning to live with. One of this afternoon's trains stopped unexpectedly on the tracks behind me and it's full of awesome cargo including styrene, sulfuric acid, petroleum, acetic acid, and molten sulfur, to name a few. Not even the worst part! They keep rocking it back and forth which makes horrific metal on metal screeching, crunching sounds that could wake the dead. It's been going on for 5 hours now and I'm so over it! Guess sleep is going to have to wait till tomorrow night.

I understand I'm the one that decided to rent the apartment that's literally 15 feet away from a busy set of freight train tracks. I feel that they weren't totally honest with me about how loud/frequent trains go by (especially between the hours of 6pm-6am), but that's a separate issue I'm learning to live with. One of this afternoon's trains stopped unexpectedly on the tracks behind me and it's full of awesome cargo including styrene, sulfuric acid, petroleum, acetic acid, and molten sulfur, to name a few. Not even the worst part! They keep rocking it back and forth which makes horrific metal on metal screeching, crunching sounds that could wake the dead. It's been going on for 5 hours now and I'm so over it! Guess sleep is going to have to wait till tomorrow night.

The tracks east of campus or west of campus?

I lived a stone's throw from the tracks that run along the fairgrounds for years. For the most part, I didn't hear much but I also didn't hear anything when a train with chemical materials derailed one night a few years ago. Some of the blocks east of 4th were evacuated.

The tracks east of campus or west of campus?

I lived a stone's throw from the tracks that run along the fairgrounds for years. For the most part, I didn't hear much but I also didn't hear anything when a train with chemical materials derailed one night a few years ago. Some of the blocks east of 4th were evacuated.
I'm northwest of campus. It sure sounds like this train is still on the tracks so hopefully it stays that way and goes away.

I'm guessing you live close to me. I'm in a house in a neighborhood so I can only hear the trains at home when they're laying on the horn but MAN do they mess up my morning commute. (Just as I finished typing that sentence, I heard a train's horn...). When I leave super early just in case of a train, theres no train and I get to school 40 minutes early. Leave on time and I end up sitting watching the train go by for 10+ minutes...

Darn sister graduated college this past May and has therefore disqualified me from getting the HPSL and other school sponsored aid. Now scrambling to get additional money so I can pay the remainder of my tuition before September 25th and I currently do not have enough in the bank.
My dad has been retired for a few years and my mom doesn't work and I didn't qualify for HPSL either. I still can't figure that one out.

Is your presenters name James Wilson?
It sure is!
Apparently UMN doesn't give a crap, because apparently he's been making sexist comments like this for YEARS. The upperclassmen saw the FB tirade of a couple of my fellow classmates and told us that they had the same problem with him and complained to the administration and yet he still keeps getting invited back.

I can see how he might show a different light in different circumstances. I'm pretty sure the big issue only came out because a student asked about maternity leave and he jumped on it and ran with it in a completely inappropriate way (and then brought it up again later). If he hadn't done that, his minor remarks and statements probably wouldn't have been enough to be a red flag to me. In fact I probably would have been bored and zoned out a lot (especially when he said "at least 10% of you won't have any student loan debt so I'm not going to talk about that too much or you'll get bored" - sorry but what? I'm not going into private practice ever and have been bored a lot during this presentation but student loan information is incredibly important, and I find it hard to believe that 10%+ of UMN students are coming out of here with no debt... but I digress).

But now that I know it's been a trend for him at UMN, and apparently has this reputation at other schools as well, is completely unacceptable. Why are we bringing him here? Why are my tuition dollars supporting this?

My dad has been retired for a few years and my mom doesn't work and I didn't qualify for HPSL either. I still can't figure that one out.

It's just frustrating to have lost it for my last year. Also financial aid this year for me has been a disaster. We were told all documents were received, so I didn't check my portal right away and then found out that things were missing, so it's just been a process. And now I'm just waiting for all the documents to come through for the Plus Loan, which I was trying to avoid taking out again.

It sure is!

Apparently UMN doesn't give a crap, because apparently he's been making sexist comments like this for YEARS. The upperclassmen saw the FB tirade of a couple of my fellow classmates and told us that they had the same problem with him and complained to the administration and yet he still keeps getting invited back.

I can see how he might show a different light in different circumstances. I'm pretty sure the big issue only came out because a student asked about maternity leave and he jumped on it and ran with it in a completely inappropriate way (and then brought it up again later). If he hadn't done that, his minor remarks and statements probably wouldn't have been enough to be a red flag to me. In fact I probably would have been bored and zoned out a lot (especially when he said "at least 10% of you won't have any student loan debt so I'm not going to talk about that too much or you'll get bored" - sorry but what? I'm not going into private practice ever and have been bored a lot during this presentation but student loan information is incredibly important, and I find it hard to believe that 10%+ of UMN students are coming out of here with no debt... but I digress).

But now that I know it's been a trend for him at UMN, and apparently has this reputation at other schools as well, is completely unacceptable. Why are we bringing him here? Why are my tuition dollars supporting this?
i cant remember if he was outwardly bad (i kind of suspect he was), but he would certainly get off on long winded tangents about that sort of thing if prompted. he had been at SGU for many years, but our class was the last straw. i'm not sure if it was his out-of-class behavior that didnt get him invited back, or his sexist and inappropriate advice (or maybe a combo), but he was (is?) good friends with one of the head people there, so i'm sure it was an uncomfortable surprise

the reason i cant remember what he had to say is because i was reading dive books for various scuba certifications hahaha. i'm sure i did a little studying too, because it was 4 hours a day for 5 days, but it was probably mostly scuba.

I've shot three pieces of trash at the trash can this morning and missed them all. Not on my A game today.

Excited golden jumped up and pushed the needle of the meds I'd just given her through (in and out) the side of my index finger. I was hoping the remnants of rimadyl on it would make this hurt less, but my finger is a-throbbing.

Dude. You'll never be a good vet if you can't play trash can basketball.

Seriously, I was so off today, even my service dog was embarrassed. Oh, but when I'm on, it's nothin' but trashcan liner.

Hit a baby bunny driving home...first time hitting an animal in the 10 years I've been driving. And the I get to my parents' house and they're not home so I'm just sitting in my car pissed off cause I'm tired and cranky and want to go to bed. Of course I don't have the keys to their house since I hadn't originally been planning on coming home. And of course both of them never answer a cell phone.

You know what sucks? Waking up with a pretty mean fever at 3AM on midterms week. It hasn't broken yet and I'm supposed to go in and help my anatomy group, volunteer for at WMC booth at a pet extravaganza, and study today. The fever hasn't broken yet and I feel all sluggish and groggy and shivery from it.

Seriously considering just sucking it up and doing all the **** I need to do anyway, it's just awful because even when I'm pretty sick I usually don't get fevers. It has to be pretty bad for it to happen. I don't wanna pass along any plague that I have to my classmates or the public. :/

You know what sucks? Waking up with a pretty mean fever at 3AM on midterms week. It hasn't broken yet and I'm supposed to go in and help my anatomy group, volunteer for at WMC booth at a pet extravaganza, and study today. The fever hasn't broken yet and I feel all sluggish and groggy and shivery from it.

Seriously considering just sucking it up and doing all the **** I need to do anyway, it's just awful because even when I'm pretty sick I usually don't get fevers. It has to be pretty bad for it to happen. I don't wanna pass along any plague that I have to my classmates or the public. :/
It's spreading through class like wildfire. I had a touch of it last week as did my lab group. Try to rest up as much as you can and maybe visit the health center to make sure it's nothing too serious.

Also, I just found out a friend of mine lost his little sister to a horrific accident caused by a drunk driver. Is it really that hard to call a cab? 17 years old.

ok, so i've decided to start a thread to simply vent about anything and everything. I have steam coming out of my ears right now :scared: and need to vent...so I will start.

Ok, so I gave my company over a YEAR's notice i was leaving (deferred vet school) and now it's biting me in my rear. Let me see if i understand this...my boss hires his two sons 3 years ago, makes them part owners and pays them ridiculous salaries in a business they are clueless about. I started the company from ground zero with him (working 60-70 hrs a week for 2 years) and 6 years later, after helping making it a nationally recongnized company, am leaving.

NOW, the sons want to complain about my payroll these last two months because i am not hair-pulling-out-crazy-busy (i've trained my staff and actually can kick back for the first time) even though they are still 2 months behind on payroll.......ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!! :bang:

AND, i never took a real vacation but once, don't play golf every Friday and don't have to go to kids' dance recitals, school plays in the middle of the day, and play mister mom to a sick kid even though you have a full-time stay at home wife!

Working for a very small company that is a family business is just not for me. Boss man gets it, but his silver spoon sons don't GRRRRRRRRR. :thumbdown:

<RANT OVER> Next.....

Let them be miserable! As you said, misery loves company. And as someone else said, blood is, after all, thicker than water. But, don't for a second think that your boss doesn't realize what he's losing. Also, I'm certain it's just now hitting the sons that they may actually have to work for their money when you're gone! Congratulations on vet school! Don't let them get to you...be proud of yourself.

Let them be miserable! As you said, misery loves company. And as someone else said, blood is, after all, thicker than water. But, don't for a second think that your boss doesn't realize what he's losing. Also, I'm certain it's just now hitting the sons that they may actually have to work for their money when you're gone! Congratulations on vet school! Don't let them get to you...be proud of yourself.
Just so you know, that post was from 5 years ago

It's spreading through class like wildfire. I had a touch of it last week as did my lab group. Try to rest up as much as you can and maybe visit the health center to make sure it's nothing too serious.

Also, I just found out a friend of mine lost his little sister to a horrific accident caused by a drunk driver. Is it really that hard to call a cab? 17 years old.
I did what I could yesterday and rested, which helped a bit. Still not 100% today, but my fever went down and if it stays down after I go off ibuprofen I'm going to come in for afternoon anatomy lab. The BF talked me into staying home from physio today. I felt guilty, but I'm only missing, like, an hour of class. I reallly feel like I can't miss anatomy. I just have to try an eat something because I didn't eat anything yesterday.

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. :(

I did what I could yesterday and rested, which helped a bit. Still not 100% today, but my fever went down and if it stays down after I go off ibuprofen I'm going to come in for afternoon anatomy lab. The BF talked me into staying home from physio today. I felt guilty, but I'm only missing, like, an hour of class. I reallly feel like I can't miss anatomy. I just have to try an eat something because I didn't eat anything yesterday.

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. :(
Thank you, it's just so heartbreaking.

You didn't miss too much....nothing that Echo360 can't help you with. We didn't even take up the whole 50 minutes!