RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been on small animal surgery rotation for a month now. I have also been trying to recover from a concussion while on surgery rotation. I am very much looking forward to radiology, at least there isn't any paperwork or patient care and I will get a more regular 8-5 schedule.

Oh god. I'm soo sorry. That must be miserable.

Members don't see this ad.

My dog went into the ER last night shocky with a FB. Still shocky after fluid resuscitation. Please cross your fingers that he's not perfed. I love that dog too much for anything to happen to him :( :( :(

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pink puppy, stop comparing yourself to everyone else. They are gonna know more of some things and you're gonna know more of others. You're all colleagues now so don't compete. Think of them as learning tools. How do they remember what they know? Can they help you?

Reactions: 4 users
Pink puppy, stop comparing yourself to everyone else. They are gonna know more of some things and you're gonna know more of others. You're all colleagues now so don't compete. Think of them as learning tools. How do they remember what they know? Can they help you?
Sorry-didn't see this right away.

I'm trying to train myself not to automatically think, "Wow, I could be one sh*tty doctor" whenever something is discussed in lecture and I don't understand it right away.

It's my own personal hurdle. I have no idea what my classmates actually know. I felt a little better when everyone had a confused look on their faces during our biochem lecture today though :p It's probably a combo of first year jitters, being out of school for a year and trying to get back into the swing of things (although I know people have been out of school longer than that), and the general not knowing what's going on. That last part has a lot to do with a severe lack of communication and disorganization on behalf of the school, though. I'm starting to be able to sit in class and remember that I'm in veterinary school now. The environment is different (albeit it's pretty cliquey already....) and will be more supportive. I'm here because the school saw me as capable of handling this material.

Do any of you guys still in class/ remember being in class and having a problem with classmates computers "dinging" everytime they get an email? Today during our 8am class we had 10+ dings and it seriously boils my blood. Back before summer we had a guy say something in the middle of a class along the lines of - can you guys please turn your volume off it really annoying. Today It was happening so frequently at the end of our class period that I couldn't concentrate. My best friend thinks i'm doing this to myself / getting all worked up over nothing but it really distracts me when I am trying to pay attention in class. The way I see it - we are not supposed to have our phones on "ring" - so an email alert is essentially the same thing. I dont really know what to do but it bugs me soo bad.. Am I being ridiculous?

Do any of you guys still in class/ remember being in class and having a problem with classmates computers "dinging" everytime they get an email? Today during our 8am class we had 10+ dings and it seriously boils my blood. Back before summer we had a guy say something in the middle of a class along the lines of - can you guys please turn your volume off it really annoying. Today It was happening so frequently at the end of our class period that I couldn't concentrate. My best friend thinks i'm doing this to myself / getting all worked up over nothing but it really distracts me when I am trying to pay attention in class. The way I see it - we are not supposed to have our phones on "ring" - so an email alert is essentially the same thing. I dont really know what to do but it bugs me soo bad.. Am I being ridiculous?
that would annoy the crap out of me. At least have the decency to turn off your volume in class

Pup made it through surgery--gastrotomy + 2 enterotomies (+ a splenectomy becuz they found some nodules on his spleen while they were in there). He's hanging on the in the ICU, not out of hte woods by any means, but heading in the right direction. Would appreciate your continued good thoughts <3

Reactions: 6 users
It's happened to me when I've forgotten to it mute, but it only needs to happen once for me to actually hit mute. Is it the same person, or is it a whole bunch of people? It couldn't hurt to ask the professor to make a quick announcement at the beginning of class to remind everyone to just hit mute on their phones/keyboards.

Edit: A quick beep usually doesn't irritate me too much. What REALLY pisses me off is when someone has their phone on vibrate, it starts ringing (vibrating) and they just let it go. They don't pull it out of their bag to reject the call.

It's happened to me when I've forgotten to it mute, but it only needs to happen once for me to actually hit mute. Is it the same person, or is it a whole bunch of people? It couldn't hurt to ask the professor to make a quick announcement at the beginning of class to remind everyone to just hit mute on their phones/keyboards.

Edit: A quick beep usually doesn't irritate me too much. What REALLY pisses me off is when someone has their phone on vibrate, it starts ringing (vibrating) and they just let it go. They don't pull it out of their bag to reject the call.

I have been guilty of it too- but like you said, it happens once then my computer is muted so fast! Now I always make a conscious effort to check my volume before every class to prevent t from happening. From what I could tell today it wasn't just 1 person because it was coming from different parts of the room. But a couple times it did sound like it was from the same area so maybe it was a combo. I can take it happening a couple times but today it was just excessive.

I have been guilty of it too- but like you said, it happens once then my computer is muted so fast! Now I always make a conscious effort to check my volume before every class to prevent t from happening. From what I could tell today it wasn't just 1 person because it was coming from different parts of the room. But a couple times it did sound like it was from the same area so maybe it was a combo. I can take it happening a couple times but today it was just excessive.
Stand up, have a meltdown, and make history.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@pinkpuppy9 - one thing i realised a few weeks into my first year, was that no one actually knew nearly as much as they were pretending, and that in reality, they were all just pretending as much as i was (i just felt like i was obviously the village idiot). i used to run a review course, and my advice to new students was always that their classmates were just as overwhelmed and just as clueless and lost as they were. one night after a session, i had a group of people waiting to ask me questions. one girl started talking about how stupid she felt, and as soon as i started reassuring her that everyone felt the same way, several other people (with shocked looks on their face) rushed over to say that they felt the exact same way and it was a huge bonding moment with tears as they realised they were not alone! moral of the story here is that every worry you have right now is normal, and currently being felt by at least 10 other people at any given time. no one wants to show any weakness, so you're all there faking it together trying to psych each other out so that you can fit in. its silly, but really, you are not alone!

Reactions: 3 users
@pinkpuppy9 - one thing i realised a few weeks into my first year, was that no one actually knew nearly as much as they were pretending, and that in reality, they were all just pretending as much as i was (i just felt like i was obviously the village idiot). i used to run a review course, and my advice to new students was always that their classmates were just as overwhelmed and just as clueless and lost as they were. one night after a session, i had a group of people waiting to ask me questions. one girl started talking about how stupid she felt, and as soon as i started reassuring her that everyone felt the same way, several other people (with shocked looks on their face) rushed over to say that they felt the exact same way and it was a huge bonding moment with tears as they realised they were not alone! moral of the story here is that every worry you have right now is normal, and currently being felt by at least 10 other people at any given time. no one wants to show any weakness, so you're all there faking it together trying to psych each other out so that you can fit in. its silly, but really, you are not alone!
thanks so much! Luckily I have awesome roommates so my stress doesn't follow me home haha

You're not stressed? I am FREAKING out!! I'm not sleeping that well either right now. Most of it is because anytime I lay in bed, I instantly think "I'm sure 90% of my classmates are still studying, wtf am I doing getting in bed at 11PM?" Then I snap myself out of my almost-asleep zone, and it takes me 1-2 hours to get back to it.

It sounds like we have a lot of mental health resources here-might not be a bad idea to go ahead and take advantage of them! The guy did say they handle sleep disturbances.

In addition to the cool room thing, taking a hot shower right before bed and sleeping in a cool room is supposed to be a good combo. Something about dropping your body temperature.
Haha, I spoke too soon. I felt fine yesterday, but I started getting jittery tonight. Don't guilt yourself though! Your body needs sleep. I'm pretty sure that everyone I've talked to has felt nervous and like they aren't studying enough/are already behind. You definitely aren't alone.

I might have to talk to the mental health center about it if the problems continue. Until then, I'll try your advice and see if it helps. Thanks!

We euthanized my pup this morning :( His BP was only 50 on the vasopressors and his organs were starting to fail. RIP monkey. I'm so sorry I wasn't there to say goodbye.

Hahahahahahaaaahahahaha.

6:55AM on ER: Lady calls because her dog has been coughing ...........

........... for a year.

And now it's an emergency. OMG I hate those calls.

Reactions: 9 users
Hahahahahahaaaahahahaha.

........... for a year.

The emergency place I interviewed at had someone come in around midnight with their dog that had a dislocated hip...it had been hit by a car two weeks ago. Glad they finally came in, but jeez.

Hahahahahahaaaahahahaha.

........... for a year.

Just during my last week of work (last day, actually), one of our better clients pulled a similar stunt. "My dog's having a really hard time breathing, it's been going on for three weeks. I need to come in NOW!" So of course we squeeze her in first thing. The dog comes in, completely unable to walk and with heavy abdominal breathing. About 5 minutes after xrays, the dog drops dead in the back. Rough on everyone because we all really loved that dog.

We euthanized my pup this morning :( His BP was only 50 on the vasopressors and his organs were starting to fail. RIP monkey. I'm so sorry I wasn't there to say goodbye.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Hahahahahahaaaahahahaha.

........... for a year.

I definitely had a guy walk in one time insisting that his dog needed to be seen because it was limping. Explained to him that we had a couple of emergencies and appointments and he'd have to wait and he went, "This is an emergency!!!!! He's been limping for 6 months, he needs to be seen now! " It was also quite amazing how quickly he decided it wasn't an emergency once he was quoted the emergency fee.

Hahahahahahaaaahahahaha.

........... for a year.

I'm horrible and totally wanted to do this to the human ER for lymphadenopathy of 8 months. I didn't because bf reminded me of how I feel when people do this to me.

So So Sorry @NStarz . What caused his BP to tank?
no idea. he had a few concurrent illnesses so it may have just been an inflammatory storm/SIRS/MODS. I've been at the freaking hospital so much the past few days I haven't even had time to process it.

I'm horrible and totally wanted to do this to the human ER for lymphadenopathy of 8 months. I didn't because bf reminded me of how I feel when people do this to me.
I told you to get that checked out!!!

I don't understand people. This summer, on a Friday just after close, we got a call from a client. "My dog is skin and bones and he's SUFFERING and I can't stand to see him like this, we need to come in NOW." He'd had diarrhea for over 4 months. His body condition score was ~1.5.

The owners called the next day to ask my boss not to report them for animal cruelty. The dog died the next night.

no idea. he had a few concurrent illnesses so it may have just been an inflammatory storm/SIRS/MODS. I've been at the freaking hospital so much the past few days I haven't even had time to process it.

Ugh I am so sorry. I hope you get a chance to sit down and relax and just reflect on the wonderful years you two spent together. Thinking of you!!

Hahahahahahaaaahahahaha.

........... for a year.

I had a guy bring in a cat, complaint is coughing.

"So when did this start?"
"Oh like years ago."
Ooook. nothing on exam, offer full work up, o declines everything, the end. Why did you even bring the cat in?!

I had a guy bring in a cat, complaint is coughing.

"So when did this start?"
"Oh like years ago."
Ooook. nothing on exam, offer full work up, o declines everything, the end. Why did you even bring the cat in?!

Because we're supposed to be able to do this....
FB_IMG_1440945528446.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Because we're supposed to be able to do this....
View attachment 195697

In my experience, they don't usually tell you it bites until after it's bitten. Then you get "Oh, yeah, he doesn't like men" or "Oh yeah, he doesn't like other people" or "Oh, yeah, he snapped at the last vet, too".

Owners.

Reactions: 2 users
Or the ones who lie to your face about biting when you've just read the history saying the pet tried to bite at its last appointment. Really people? Do you think we don't record this stuff?

I actually have more owners who insist their dog or cat is really bad, but turns out to be just fine. My last practice had people who would get so offended when I tried to put a muzzle on their pet, I can't recall anyone at my new practice getting all pissy over that. It's weird.

I actually have more owners who insist their dog or cat is really bad, but turns out to be just fine
I find that commonly with cats. "Watch out, she's not happy!!" Well no, they generally aren't happy, but they usually let me examine them without a problem. And then the owners are astounded that I can handle their little wild cat.

In my experience, they don't usually tell you it bites until after it's bitten. Then you get "Oh, yeah, he doesn't like men" or "Oh yeah, he doesn't like other people" or "Oh, yeah, he snapped at the last vet, too".

Owners.
My favorite is when the owner says nothing, but the records from the previous vet have "CAUTION!!!!!" written at the top lol.

By all means, play your drums at 2AM. I'm happy to give the cops something to do. I just which this guy's sanity wasn't questionable so I didn't have to resort to that.

i simply cannot understand why my electric company is making it so difficult for me to pay my bill. dont they want me to pay my bill? don't they want to be compensated?! making me jump through 80 thousand hoops does not make me want to pay them. their excuse for poor customer service is that they've received a lot of calls recently. oh yeah? well when i work ER, being busy doesnt really seem to make pets stop dying, or owners stop complaining, or mean that pets dont require good care. somehow i have to manage it all, so get your big kid panties on MAJOR electric company, and stop making excuses. geez. so dumb!

My (perhaps weird) approach is that I have a little notebook (really little - fits in my scrub pants pocket). I never write in the notebook itself - I just put sticky notes on each page with things I feel like I need to remember. Then when I realize I just 'know' it, I take the sticky note out and free up that page for something else.

I know you said you think this is a weird approach, but I think it's brilliant! I'm transforming one of my blank case notebooks into a sticky notebook. Thanks for the idea! :thumbup:

And on another note - you mentioned you dose your famotidine differently than other docs. This might be a silly question, but how did you come to change/come up with your protocol? I know not all doctors follow the "all knowing" dosing protocols given to us in school, so I'm always curious about why those doctors come up with the change.

Last edited: