RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nothing like a cold dinner because the only microwave you can think of is all the way across the hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
On top of the cold dinner, I ended up having to stay till just now after being at the hospital from 445am. Now I get to get up in a little under 2 hr.

Tomorrow will be rough.

When your anatomy lab TA snaps at your entire lab group because someone said "Our professor has a PhD, all of this is probably so basic for him." She replied with "Well I only have a Bachelor's and this is basic to me, too. I have experience. " Then she stormed away. It was so uncomfortable, especially when the girl who said it was referring to our professor saying to know the basics for our quiz, then saying we should know the bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons attachments, functions, etc. (which is basic for anatomy but she was saying it because she's overwhelmed by the material).
On top of the cold dinner, I ended up having to stay till just now after being at the hospital from 445am. Now I get to get up in a little under 2 hr.

Tomorrow will be rough.
Here's hoping to you be able to catch up on some sleep soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
When your anatomy lab TA snaps at your entire lab group because someone said "Our professor has a PhD, all of this is probably so basic for him." She replied with "Well I only have a Bachelor's and this is basic to me, too. I have experience. " Then she stormed away. It was so uncomfortable, especially when the girl who said it was referring to our professor saying to know the basics for our quiz, then saying we should know the bones, muscles, ligaments, tendons attachments, functions, etc. (which is basic for anatomy but she was saying it because she's overwhelmed by the material).

Here's hoping to you be able to catch up on some sleep soon!

Working on it. I still have some SOAP/discharge stuff to type up but my I can barely keep my eyes open so I'll probably just be calling it quits in 5 minutes.

Today we have a 4hr clinics "qualifying exam" ... Basically to tell us what we are weak in before we start clinics in 7weeks and to let admin know where the curriculum could use some help.... My brain is going to be MUSH!!

Today we have a 4hr clinics "qualifying exam" ... Basically to tell us what we are weak in before we start clinics in 7weeks and to let admin know where the curriculum could use some help.... My brain is going to be MUSH!!

This sounds absolutely horrible. Is this a pass fail type of thing or just an FYI thing?

Dermatopathology is not my friend at the moment. Everything looks the same on a slide.

This sounds absolutely horrible. Is this a pass fail type of thing or just an FYI thing?

It's an FYI thing.. We will eventually get our results, but it has no bearing on if we can / can't enter clinics. Apparently it is supposed to be an indicator of how well you will do on the NAVLE (what admin told us). Luckily the breaks were optional so I powered through both sections in about 2 hours instead of 4. I'm very thankful it isn't for an actual grade - we just started our second section of food animal and there were quite a bit Of food animal questions that I had to guess on.. And chicken stuff..No clue about chickens either lol

It's an FYI thing.. We will eventually get our results, but it has no bearing on if we can / can't enter clinics. Apparently it is supposed to be an indicator of how well you will do on the NAVLE (what admin told us). Luckily the breaks were optional so I powered through both sections in about 2 hours instead of 4. I'm very thankful it isn't for an actual grade - we just started our second section of food animal and there were quite a bit Of food animal questions that I had to guess on.. And chicken stuff..No clue about chickens either lol

Qualifying exam? We had to take that as well, it was umm, interesting. Kind of makes you feel like a massive idiot, then you get the scores back and it really isn't that bad.

Was yours on the NBVME website? That is where ours came from.

My class was the first at UMN that had to do a sorta all-encompassing assessment right before starting clinics. I remember they tried to sell it to us as "Hey, here's a way to assess yourself!"

Yeah. Nice. No thanks.

I asked about the exam, and was told by one of our faculty who is part of COE, that it was part of an attempt to better meet one of the accreditation requirements. Probably 7.9 Standard 9 (Curriculum), where it says things like "Curriculum evaluations should include the gathering of sufficient qualitative and quantitative information to ensure the curriculum content provides current concepts and principles as well as instructional quality and effectiveness." Obviously doesn't explicitly say "Thou shalt give students ending their third year an all-encompassing exam to torture them prior to clinical training" but it does allow them to better gather "qualitative" information.

So I imagine that's why more schools are starting to do it. It all kinda adds up with what the faculty member told me.

If I recall, our class average was ..... abysmal. I think once they said "it won't impact any of your grades" that the give-a-crap level tanked very quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cracked laptop screen.
Seriously?
Good thing I still have my old crappy laptop I guess because I'm going to need something to access my online course once this one goes to the shop. In the meantime I've got a lovely giant spider crack in the bottom right corner. It's really beautiful. Really. And I needed the extra expenses of replacing the screen.

My class was the first at UMN that had to do a sorta all-encompassing assessment right before starting clinics. I remember they tried to sell it to us as "Hey, here's a way to assess yourself!"

Yeah. Nice. No thanks.

I asked about the exam, and was told by one of our faculty who is part of COE, that it was part of an attempt to better meet one of the accreditation requirements. Probably 7.9 Standard 9 (Curriculum), where it says things like "Curriculum evaluations should include the gathering of sufficient qualitative and quantitative information to ensure the curriculum content provides current concepts and principles as well as instructional quality and effectiveness." Obviously doesn't explicitly say "Thou shalt give students ending their third year an all-encompassing exam to torture them prior to clinical training" but it does allow them to better gather "qualitative" information.

So I imagine that's why more schools are starting to do it. It all kinda adds up with what the faculty member told me.

If I recall, our class average was ..... abysmal. I think once they said "it won't impact any of your grades" that the give-a-crap level tanked very quickly.
We did something like that up until two years ago. They had students taking the PAVE or something like that.

Alrighty. One hour into my 12-hr shift: three cats, three euthanasias. And a fourth on the way for the same. Oh yeah. Gonna be a great day.

Thanks. Obviously, I'm not the first or last vet to have a ****ty euthanasia day, but this one is really getting blah. It's the whole Sunday-on-a-holiday-weekend thing.

And it's raining.

So all in all it's making me grumpy.

And now I have someone who just called and said they ran over their dog, it has pale gums and isn't acting normal, but they want to "wait and see how it does."

Sure, let's go with that. On the off chance it's actually in shock or bleeding or has head trauma or <whatever>, let's just wait until it's actually collapsed.

Grumble. I'd apologize, but this is the rant thread. Granted, this is all stuff that happens every single day ... it's just ... I'm grumpy about it today.

Thanks. Obviously, I'm not the first or last vet to have a ****ty euthanasia day, but this one is really getting blah. It's the whole Sunday-on-a-holiday-weekend thing.

And it's raining.

And now I have someone who just called and said they ran over their dog, it has pale gums and isn't acting normal, but they want to "wait and see how it does."

Sure, let's go with that. On the off chance it's actually in shock or bleeding or has head trauma or <whatever>, let's just wait until it's actually collapsed.

Grumble. I'd apologize, but this is the rant thread. Granted, this is all stuff that happens every single day ... it's just ... I'm grumpy about it today.
Sometimes I wonder if that should be considered animal cruelty...I know someone might not have the funds for emergency treatment, but they could just discuss that with you over the phone. Not say they just want to see what happens.

And on another note - you mentioned you dose your famotidine differently than other docs. This might be a silly question, but how did you come to change/come up with your protocol? I know not all doctors follow the "all knowing" dosing protocols given to us in school, so I'm always curious about why those doctors come up with the change.

The majority of doctors in our practice (we have maybe 50 doctors or so? 60?) dose famotidine BID (0.5 mg/kg BID is pretty standard). I do the same thing for hospitalized patients (0.5 mg/kg IV BID). For outpatients, I dose it 1 mg/kg PO SID, whereas most doctors still stick with 0.5 mg/kg PO BID. Same total dose, and it is more effective given BID. My rationale is based on looking at the studies on client compliance and how it drops off when you go from SID to BID (and gets incredibly bad when you go from BID to TID - if you send home an animal on a TID drug, you should just assume it won't get it TID unless you really, really make the owners understand the importance). So my thinking is: My dose is modestly less effective than BID, but I have a much better chance the client will actually GIVE the drug. (Obviously, some drugs <have> to be given at certain intervals (ahem - certain antibiotics), so you have to think before you futz.)

Bottom line for me is that I angle for SID dosing whenever possible, even if it (minimally) compromises the effectiveness of the drug. There's a limit to how much compromise I'll accept, but .... it's a judgment call, nothing objective.

As far as other drugs ........ it's just experience. You start based on the dose you learned in school, or the dose your mentor likes, or the dose Plumb's gives you .... something you consider trustworthy. And then you decide how well you liked the effect, and modify from there.

The majority of doctors in our practice (we have maybe 50 doctors or so? 60?) dose famotidine BID (0.5 mg/kg BID is pretty standard). I do the same thing for hospitalized patients (0.5 mg/kg IV BID). For outpatients, I dose it 1 mg/kg PO SID, whereas most doctors still stick with 0.5 mg/kg PO BID. Same total dose, and it is more effective given BID. My rationale is based on looking at the studies on client compliance and how it drops off when you go from SID to BID (and gets incredibly bad when you go from BID to TID - if you send home an animal on a TID drug, you should just assume it won't get it TID unless you really, really make the owners understand the importance). So my thinking is: My dose is modestly less effective than BID, but I have a much better chance the client will actually GIVE the drug. (Obviously, some drugs <have> to be given at certain intervals (ahem - certain antibiotics), so you have to think before you futz.)

As far as other drugs ........ it's just experience. You start based on the dose you learned in school, or the dose your mentor likes, or the dose Plumb's gives you .... something you consider trustworthy. And then you decide how well you liked the effect, and modify from there.
:eek::eek::eek: Now I'm curious.

Bottom line for me is that I angle for SID dosing whenever possible, even if it (minimally) compromises the effectiveness of the drug. There's a limit to how much compromise I'll accept, but .... it's a judgment call, nothing objective.

Interesting idea. I try to use SID whenever I can esp for things ear meds or if the animal is particularly tough to medicate but I find that telling them "BID at meal times" is helpful because most pets eat twice per day anyway. But I do like your idea...

Just need to finish editing my essays (and a few minor hiccups, like where the hell is my driver's license number from 6 years ago?) but my daughters have decided to never go to sleep at night and if they must sleep, to alternate, so one is on guard against mom working at all times. My husband has decided now is the perfect time to take extra shifts and play video games when he does get home.

I swear they are normally so much more helpful! Maybe they sense my wild panic?!? With this smile, maybe she's trying to comfort me by erasing half my personal statement, pulling everything out of the cabinets and chucking the ball at my head when I try to find a backup file?

And it's raining.

The number of cases I've heard of where people don't immediately bring their pet to the vet after its been hit by a car...it just astounds me. Like, how could you possibly think that it would just be ok after something like that?

The number of cases I've heard of where people don't immediately bring their pet to the vet after its been hit by a car...it just astounds me. Like, how could you possibly think that it would just be ok after something like that?
Haha, these people totally show up 3 days later with what appears to be a healthy happy patient with maybe a mild abrasion and asks me if the pet is going to be okay. I just don't get the timing of it.

Haha, these people totally show up 3 days later with what appears to be a healthy happy patient with maybe a mild abrasion and asks me if the pet is going to be okay. I just don't get the timing of it.
My favorite are the ones that come in and are diagnosed with diabetes, renal failure, cancer, etc and they are all "oh no, his hips just hurt because he got hit by the car/truck/tractor weeks/months/years ago, can't we just get some metacam?" And I ask about previous vet records for the HBC incident and surprise surprise there are none because "he seemed fine just limped a bit". Which obvs means that getting run over causes cancer.

And yes this has happened multiple times.

I am going to hang up one of these where I end up working once I graduate....

anti-stress-kit-1024x768.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
My loan can collect interest on holidays and weekends, but my payment can't be processed on holidays/weekends. :mad:

It's more common not to come to the ER than it is to come in. For every 10 phone calls we get, we probably recommend being seen to about 7-8 of them, and 2-3 will show up.

At least, it's somewhere in there. I make a point of never answering the phone, though.

Holy **** immigration man. I'm going through helping my bf with his green card through the national interest waiver, where essentially you're petitioning the govt to issue permanent residency due to the importance of your work. I feel like we just went through this with his H1B visa app. Grawr. It needs to get done because I don't like the thought of him only having 3 days to find a new job that will support his visa before being deported in the event his lab loses funding or he gets fired. But it's so tedious.

Holy **** immigration man. I'm going through helping my bf with his green card through the national interest waiver, where essentially you're petitioning the govt to issue permanent residency due to the importance of your work. I feel like we just went through this with his H1B visa app. Grawr. It needs to get done because I don't like the thought of him only having 3 days to find a new job that will support his visa before being deported in the event his lab loses funding or he gets fired. But it's so tedious.
Yeah... Immigration is awful. I basically grew up in immigration offices. It took my mum and I about 10 years to get our citizenship in the US and what it came down to was the government offices "lost" our paperwork. Our lawyer suggested we threaten to sue, we did, and voila! They found our paperwork. Funny how that works.

Ex-rental company rant:

Friday I FINALLY got my deposit returned (right on the 30 day mark) and then proceeded to do a little WTF dance. For background, I lived in that apartment for five years, Aug 2010- Aug 2015 . Two of the charges were for unpaid water bills from some month in 2013 (it wasn't specified) and October of 2013.

Let me repeat that...... 2013!

Since I hand-delivered all of my checks to the office, I doubted those charges and, voila, a pretty quick look into my water bills, my check carbons, and my old bank statements (luckily Fifth Third allows you to access statements online up to 24 months into the past), I can easily show that one of those allegedly unpaid bills was totally, ****ing paid in full and on time way back when. As it stands now, because these events happened so long ago, my bank is going to charge me $5 to pull check images to prove endorsements or pull up bank statements that are older than 24 months. Figures, right?

Who the hell waits two years to tell you that you allegedly didn't pay a bill? Who the hell "tells" you by skimming money out of your deposit instead of just contacting you in a timely manner?

On top of that they took $45 dollars to clean "stains" out of the carpet in one bedroom which I also expect them to refund me because my move-out pictures show no stains in either bedroom.

I'd like to entertain the idea that maybe they mixed my account up with someone else, but no matter what the excuse, it's all rather inappropriate to me.

was up every couple hours last night. Of course today is the day my associate is off. And my back started spasming again. Days like today make me look forward to PT

Ex-rental company rant:

Friday I FINALLY got my deposit returned (right on the 30 day mark) and then proceeded to do a little WTF dance. For background, I lived in that apartment for five years, Aug 2010- Aug 2015 . Two of the charges were for unpaid water bills from some month in 2013 (it wasn't specified) and October of 2013.

Let me repeat that...... 2013!

Since I hand-delivered all of my checks to the office, I doubted those charges and, voila, a pretty quick look into my water bills, my check carbons, and my old bank statements (luckily Fifth Third allows you to access statements online up to 24 months into the past), I can easily show that one of those allegedly unpaid bills was totally, ****ing paid in full and on time way back when. As it stands now, because these events happened so long ago, my bank is going to charge me $5 to pull check images to prove endorsements or pull up bank statements that are older than 24 months. Figures, right?

Who the hell waits two years to tell you that you allegedly didn't pay a bill? Who the hell "tells" you by skimming money out of your deposit instead of just contacting you in a timely manner?

On top of that they took $45 dollars to clean "stains" out of the carpet in one bedroom which I also expect them to refund me because my move-out pictures show no stains in either bedroom.

I'd like to entertain the idea that maybe they mixed my account up with someone else, but no matter what the excuse, it's all rather inappropriate to me.
I seriously don't understand rental companies. It seems like you can't find a good, trustworthy one out there. Good for you for documenting everything so thoroughly.

I've never had problems with deposits (I've actually always gotten deposits waived as a signing bonus), but I had a year where the management was willing to keep my roommate in property for her rent instead of evicting her for all of the drugs, pets (we weren't pet friendly and the cat destroyed our carpet), unpaid rent (yeah, doesn't make sense to me either), etc. Luckily I didn't get dragged into the financial aspect because we had individual leases.

dear feral cat outside my building. i know you dont like my dog, and you do like the food the neighbor is feeding you, but i absolutely will not hesitate to relocate or euthanize you if you attack me/my dog. stop lunging at my dog who is walking by on the sidewalk, or else.

The stress level I have for my upcoming systemic path exam is WAYYY too dang high...

Is it the weekend yet?

You don't know real responsibility until you go from being responsible for yourself only, to being responsible for 300 college students. Here's to an alcohol poisoning transport, drug search, Title 9 situation, and a suicide threat. All in 2.5 weeks of classes starting. Just 29.5 weeks left in the school year.

You don't know real responsibility until you go from being responsible for yourself only, to being responsible for 300 college students. Here's to an alcohol poisoning transport, drug search, Title 9 situation, and a suicide threat. All in 2.5 weeks of classes starting. Just 29.5 weeks left in the school year.
Yeah, I always felt really bad for my RA's. Between dealing with the violent nut case we had on our floor, picking up girls who passed out in the hallway the night before and couldn't figure out how to open their doors, and dealing with all of the drug situations we had....I was no longer interested in the position.

My rant: I hate how I can always tell when rain is coming based off of how much more ankle/knee/wrist pain I feel than I normally do. It does give me a good excuse to cuddle up to my heating pad, though.

I'm sitting in a Professional Development class, with a couple of white male lecturers, telling me that men make more $ than women because they expect to make more, and then just dropped the topic and moved on. Um, thanks? Then they mention that most practice owners are middle-aged men. Dropped and moved on... okay?

Then they proceeded to lose any shred of respect from me. A student had a question about maternity leave. What we got in response was an anecdote from the younger guy about his sister, also a vet, and her pregnancy, and how her boss was "totally cool with it." Thanks...? Then the older guy decides to chime in. Loosely quoted, "Please try not to get pregnant during your first year of employment, just use some form of birth control. Employers really appreciate it, and not just because maternity leave but also because they don't have to worry about pregnancy concerns like anesthesia and radiology."

What the actual ****.

My employers will have zero input in deciding when or if I choose to have a child. My reproductive decisions are MINE, not yours, not a future employers, not anyone else's!

I literally cannot handle listening to them anymore. And lucky for me, they are up all day today and tomorrow.

Edit: can we all just take a moment to respect the irony of this being a PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT class? Super professional.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm sitting in a Professional Development class, with a couple of white male lecturers, telling me that men make more $ than women because they expect to make more, and then just dropped the topic and moved on. Um, thanks? Then they mention that most practice owners are middle-aged men. Dropped and moved on... okay?

Then they proceeded to lose any shred of respect from me. A student had a question about maternity leave. What we got in response was an anecdote from the younger guy about his sister, also a vet, and her pregnancy, and how her boss was "totally cool with it." Thanks...? Then the older guy decides to chime in. Loosely quoted, "Please try not to get pregnant during your first year of employment, just use some form of birth control. Employers really appreciate it, and not just because maternity leave but also because they don't have to worry about pregnancy concerns like anesthesia and radiology."

What the actual ****.

My employers will have zero input in deciding when or if I choose to have a child. My reproductive decisions are MINE, not yours, not a future employers, not anyone else's!

I literally cannot handle listening to them anymore. And lucky for me, they are up all day today and tomorrow.

Edit: can we all just take a moment to respect the irony of this being a PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT class? Super professional.
Me as I'm reading this:
:lame: :smack: :uhno::sendoff::slap:

Reactions: 1 users

What the actual ****.

I feel like that's almost passive harassment and intimidation. They should not be be able to hold a lecture and say those things without some type of recourse. Not cool.

Reactions: 5 users
Darn sister graduated college this past May and has therefore disqualified me from getting the HPSL and other school sponsored aid. Now scrambling to get additional money so I can pay the remainder of my tuition before September 25th and I currently do not have enough in the bank.

Darn sister graduated college this past May and has therefore disqualified me from getting the HPSL and other school sponsored aid. Now scrambling to get additional money so I can pay the remainder of my tuition before September 25th and I currently do not have enough in the bank.

How does that work? What does your sister have to do with anything for you?