RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tripped on one of my box jumps today and have a decent cut on my shin and it hurts right now (doesn't help that it was on a bruise from a previous work out related injury).

Plus side is I at least have chlorohex at home to disinfect it.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously. Why is my bedroom the only room that doesn't cool down with the windows open!?!?! It's mid October and I still need to run my window unit...

When you're on call, and your phone hasn't rung all week, then your backup calls you and asks if you talked to anyone with a sick calf. So you go in and THANK GOD SOMEONE HAPPENED TO BE AT THE CLINIC BECAUSE THE CALF COULD HAVE BEEN DEAD HAD IT BEEN FORCED TO WAIT ON US.

Turns out the front desk staff, who is supposed to call me, didn't.

While I was sleeping last night, my cat went into my backpack, took out my earbuds, and then proceeded to chew them apart. This is why I can't have nice things, but this is also why I never spend the money to get nice things.

Edit: Just walked out of my bathroom to find her chewing through the power cord to my wifi router. There are now sparks coming from the cord and I may explode

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
While I was sleeping last night, my cat went into my backpack, took out my earbuds, and then proceeded to chew them apart. This is why I can't have nice things, but this is also why I never spend the money to get nice things.

Edit: Just walked out of my bathroom to find her chewing through the power cord to my wifi router. There are now sparks coming from the cord and I may explode
I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one who has a destructive cat. :pMine has this crazy affinity for plastic, and even though I make sure there's nothing left for him to chew.. I always hear this crunching noise at 2am, and there he is, gnawing on some plastic he found.. . I'm practically just waiting for the day where he has to go into to foreign body surgery...

"Get a cat," they said. "It'll be fun," they said.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one who has a destructive cat. :pMine has this crazy affinity for plastic, and even though I make sure there's nothing left for him to chew.. I always hear this crunching noise at 2am, and there he is, gnawing on some plastic he found.. . I'm practically just waiting for the day where he has to go into to foreign body surgery...

"Get a cat," they said. "It'll be fun," they said.
I could come home to a dead cat! Now I'm really starting to worry. She has only starting recently doing this. :boom:

Let me preface this by saying, I'm a nursing mom and this is a thing.

I'm pretty sure I didn't get one of the jobs I interviewed for because of my boobs.

I interviewed with 2 places in one day. The tougher one hired me. The other seemed uncomfortable about half way through and sent me home. I got an email the next day saying that while my skill set exceeded their needs I wouldn't be a good fit. The only difference is the second was during my daughter's feeding time. How do you ask if that was it?

Last edited:
I'd be less confused if I didn't get hired by the other job. It is literally the only thing I can think of that was different between the two interviews. Shouldn't a girl help a lady out? Better, I can't think of a way to ask: It was my boobs, wasn't it? :confused:

Probably better to just believe that you weren't the right fit and leave it at that. If a business is willing to pass on a person who has the required skills over some physical characteristic that doesn't impact the work, they're probably not a business you want to associate with anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Officially have stayed up later as an RD than I ever needed to as a student (RA or not). Homecoming, I normally love you, but tonight was not a good night. Thankfully I had the foresight to take a nap from 11-2 (this afternoon) and from 12-2 (this morning). Staying up till 2 last night was probably not a good thing either. I wish that girl didn't schedule her community service hour tomorrow at 8. She's probably not even going to show since she got caught with alcohol tonight.

Abdominal cramps out of freaking nowhere. I've drugged myself and have been curled around a rice heater pad all night and they've only gotten mildly less painful. I have a spay/neuter clinic this morning that I absolutely cannot cancel because I'm pretty much the only regular on the roster... but this is going to be me all morning:

giphy.gif

Reactions: 1 user

Earbuds are my cat's favorite thing! He will open anything to get to them. I cannot keep them in my house, it's horrible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so ready to be done with undergrad. It's not because of academics at all. It's the people. I'm in a honors program and it seems like I have to deal with so many gunner-type, I will do anything to beat you out of competition, let's jockey for power over everything type of people. I can't tolerate it. I just want to immerse in my field and not deal with these people. There is this one girl who cheats in EVERYTHING but turns everyone in for doing it because it's her "pet peeve". Not saying they shouldn't be turned in... But don't be a hypocrite. I'm ready to meet some more like minds that don't want to weed me out. Everyone gets enamored with the college experience and I am just over it.

I'm pretty sure I didn't get one of the jobs I interviewed for because of my boobs.

I interviewed with 2 places in one day. The tougher one hired me. The other seemed uncomfortable about half way through and sent me home. I got an email the next day saying that while my skill set exceeded their needs I wouldn't be a good fit. The only difference is the second was during my daughter's feeding time. How do you ask if that was it?
Might be a silly question, but did you nurse your daughter during the interview?

I highly doubt it had anything to do with this.

Noooo, not the precious wifi!:arghh:

I just caught my kitty chewing on the power supply for my digital piano. Luckily, it wasn't plugged in, but WTF, cat?! :rage: She's never chewed on cables before, and this better not be the start of a new hobby.

Ear buds would be a favorite, I'm sure, but we keep them in drawers. My other kitty LOVES bag ties and rubber bands. And mancat is so food obsessed that he'll rip into or chew on anything that is remotely edible. He's poked holes in a tube of human toothpaste, an unopened can of Red Bull, and a bag of cough drops. I can't leave anything out anymore, ever.

I am so ready to be done with undergrad. It's not because of academics at all. It's the people. I'm in a honors program and it seems like I have to deal with so many gunner-type, I will do anything to beat you out of competition, let's jockey for power over everything type of people. I can't tolerate it. I just want to immerse in my field and not deal with these people. There is this one girl who cheats in EVERYTHING but turns everyone in for doing it because it's her "pet peeve". Not saying they shouldn't be turned in... But don't be a hypocrite. I'm ready to meet some more like minds that don't want to weed me out. Everyone gets enamored with the college experience and I am just over it.

Don't look forward to vet school then...

Noooo, not the precious wifi!:arghh:

I just caught my kitty chewing on the power supply for my digital piano. Luckily, it wasn't plugged in, but WTF, cat?! :rage: She's never chewed on cables before, and this better not be the start of a new hobby.

Ear buds would be a favorite, I'm sure, but we keep them in drawers. My other kitty LOVES bag ties and rubber bands. And mancat is so food obsessed that he'll rip into or chew on anything that is remotely edible. He's poked holes in a tube of human toothpaste, an unopened can of Red Bull, and a bag of cough drops. I can't leave anything out anymore, ever.
Right now I have it taped with electrical tape, so it's still working! Thankfully, because it's finals week and I don't have time to shop around for a replacement cord! My big cat really doesn't go after anything except plants and my rabbit's timothy hay, so having a cat who is constantly getting into things is new to me. I'll probably invest in those cord guards and hope they work.

Right now I have it taped with electrical tape, so it's still working! Thankfully, because it's finals week and I don't have time to shop around for a replacement cord! My big cat really doesn't go after anything except plants and my rabbit's timothy hay, so having a cat who is constantly getting into things is new to me. I'll probably invest in those cord guards and hope they work.
For a cheaper alternative, buy thick aquarium tubing and use a razor blade to slice it along its length. When buying replacement cords, try to get braided cords whenever possible. I have so many cords that are spliced together thanks to my one cat, but he doesn't really bother the braided cord I got for my phone.

For a cheaper alternative, buy thick aquarium tubing and use a razor blade to slice it along its length. When buying replacement cords, try to get braided cords whenever possible. I have so many cords that are spliced together thanks to my one cat, but he doesn't really bother the braided cord I got for my phone.
Good tips! I'm still just confused over how she seemed very interested in the sparks instead of afraid. Cats...

Don't look forward to vet school then...
Extra like. I was hoping that vet school would be a bit tamer when it came to the crazies, but it's not. People are even more focused on certain competitive fields and are sure to advertise how much they know around those they know are struggling. We're even to the point where are anatomy lab instructors are threatening to take away our prosections because one group literally will not let anyone else look at them during lab. It's ridiculous.

Extra like. I was hoping that vet school would be a bit tamer when it came to the crazies, but it's not. People are even more focused on certain competitive fields and are sure to advertise how much they know around those they know are struggling. We're even to the point where are anatomy lab instructors are threatening to take away our prosections because one group literally will not let anyone else look at them during lab. It's ridiculous.
that's definitely not at every vet school or with every class.

I've also found that those who were like that first year usually have toned it down by 4th year.
yeah. there were very few like that my first year. I really didn't notice it much after that. In clinics there were a couple people that wanted surgery residencies so they kindly asked for some cases over others. Maybe my class was just well behaved

Might be a silly question, but did you nurse your daughter during the interview?
No no no! I did my morning working interview and headed back to my baby when the second one called. I took her to her vaccine appt, then nursed her quickly and headed to the second working interview.
Everything seemed to be going well. The head doc (the only male) kept smiling at me and I thought that was a good sign too. The females were slowly getting more business formal, but just barely. After like 2 hours I headed to the bathroom and that's when I noticed that I was popping through a padded bra, textured tank and scrub top. I just thought, hopefully they aren't as noticeable to everyone else as they are to me and realized it was a normal feeding time. When I came out I was told they had seen enough and sent me home.
I spent most of the rest of the day trying to figure it out. I actually didn't connect the 2 until over a day had passed and I got the email. It was worded strangely and the way they sent me home was strange for them too. I knew I hadn't said or done anything wrong... just couldn't figure it out. Then my husband commented about how obvious I am around a feeding and it clicked. I spent yesterday afternoon trying to figure out a way to ask. I can take more extreme measures to conceal them, but didn't realize it was a problem until right before I left. If this is a recurring thing, it would be nice to know.

that's definitely not at every vet school or with every class.
I wish it wasn't like this here. Don't get me wrong, everyone has their friend group. Lately, it just seems like exams are used as an opportunity for some to make themselves feel superior. It's rather unfortunate. If you know I'm struggling with anatomy, don't come over to me in lab, ask me if you can go through my dog while I'm trying to, and make me feel bad when I say "I'm still learning it myself right now." Don't quiz me on stuff when you know I'm still learning it just so you can say "That's wrong, but I knew that one!" It gets old, fast. I'm more than willing to accept help when I need it, but not if your version of helping others is really just padding your own ego.

Don't even get me started on the prosections. I still haven't had an opportunity to look at the pinned/labeled horse limb.

No no no! I did my morning working interview and headed back to my baby when the second one called. I took her to her vaccine appt, then nursed her quickly and headed to the second working interview.
Everything seemed to be going well. The head doc (the only male) kept smiling at me and I thought that was a good sign too. The females were slowly getting more business formal, but just barely. After like 2 hours I headed to the bathroom and that's when I noticed that I was popping through a padded bra, textured tank and scrub top. I just thought, hopefully they aren't as noticeable to everyone else as they are to me and realized it was a normal feeding time. When I came out I was told they had seen enough and sent me home.
I spent most of the rest of the day trying to figure it out. I actually didn't connect the 2 until over a day had passed and I got the email. It was worded strangely and the way they sent me home was strange for them too. I knew I hadn't said or done anything wrong... just couldn't figure it out. Then my husband commented about how obvious I am around a feeding and it clicked. I spent yesterday afternoon trying to figure out a way to ask. I can take more extreme measures to conceal them, but didn't realize it was a problem until right before I left. If this is a recurring thing, it would be nice to know.
Not that I'm against public breastfeeding at all, to be clear!

In that case, I would hope the interviewers weren't staring at your chest the entire time. It goes along with the rant post I had last week. I should not have to hide under layers and layers of clothing because interviewers/bosses cannot control themselves if I have curves. That doesn't mean I'm letting it all hang out. I really hope that wasn't why you got turned down, but I'm glad you got an offer from the other place!!

I wish it wasn't like this here. Don't get me wrong, everyone has their friend group. Lately, it just seems like exams are used as an opportunity for some to make themselves feel superior. It's rather unfortunate. If you know I'm struggling with anatomy, don't come over to me in lab, ask me if you can go through my dog while I'm trying to, and make me feel bad when I say "I'm still learning it myself right now." Don't quiz me on stuff when you know I'm still learning it just so you can say "That's wrong, but I knew that one!" It gets old, fast. I'm more than willing to accept help when I need it, but not if your version of helping others is really just padding your own ego.

Don't even get me started on the prosections. I still haven't had an opportunity to look at the pinned/labeled horse limb.
then tell those people to bugger off. Nicer than that. But you can tell them that anyway :)

Reactions: 1 users
then tell those people to bugger off. Nicer than that. But you can tell them that anyway :)
Haha you're a better person than I am! I usually choose a different set of words...

It really does overwhelm me though. I'd love to end up in zoo med and it truly is a huge stresser for me at this point. If I had a nickel for every time my boyfriend/parents said "Just worry about graduating first," I'd have no debt :p

Haha you're a better person than I am! I usually choose a different set of words...

It really does overwhelm me though. I'd love to end up in zoo med and it truly is a huge stresser for me at this point. If I had a nickel for every time my boyfriend/parents said "Just worry about graduating first," I'd have no debt :p
you really need to let that go for first year. First year you should be learning how to be in vet school. That summer once you are comfortable you should be working on all the other stuff. Maybe join a club or two now related to it.

It was just weird because they were so excited to have me and I exceeded all their expectations from a tech and then suddenly they just gave me the cold shoulder. I thought maybe they had a tough client come in until they sent me home.
I feel like I shouldn't have to hide that I'm a female and a mom either, but if something makes you uncomfortable please ask or tell me, because I literally only noticed a few seconds before they sent me away and could not figure out why the girls were distancing themselves while I kept getting weird smiles from the boss.
After that clicked, I am kinda glad I didn't get hired there, but if that was really it, I feel like women ought to say something.

you really need to let that go for first year. First year you should be learning how to be in vet school. That summer once you are comfortable you should be working on all the other stuff. Maybe join a club or two now related to it.
I'm in the non-traditional species club and Wildlife Clinic, but sometimes that seems like it makes things worse! Heck, the first email the NTS club sent out specifically addressed gunners ("For all you gunners, this club is about learning about species not covered in our curriculum....").
It was just weird because they were so excited to have me and I exceeded all their expectations from a tech and then suddenly they just gave me the cold shoulder. I thought maybe they had a tough client come in until they sent me home.
I feel like I shouldn't have to hide that I'm a female and a mom either, but if something makes you uncomfortable please ask or tell me, because I literally only noticed a few seconds before they sent me away and could not figure out why the girls were distancing themselves while I kept getting weird smiles from the boss.
After that clicked, I am kinda glad I didn't get hired there, but if that was really it, I feel like women ought to say something.
I think as a woman, I would appreciate a discrete heads up from another woman there. It's my understanding that you can't exactly feel that happening unless you start to leak.

I think it might be helpful for you to kind of reflect on how much of this is you internalizing and projecting. I feel like I hear the "I'm gunning for a competitive specialty thus X,Y,Z" and "I'm upset that my grade was not above class average" from you on here than anyone else. While these may be true statements for you, think about how these attitudes play into 1.) your own unhappiness, and 2.) the environment in your class that you do not like.

I think it might be helpful for you to kind of reflect on how much of this is you internalizing and projecting. I feel like I hear the "I'm gunning for a competitive specialty thus X,Y,Z" and "I'm upset that my grade was not above class average" from you on here than anyone else. While these may be true statements for you, think about how these attitudes play into 1.) your own unhappiness, and 2.) the environment in your class that you do not like.
I get what you're saying, but when we have class announcements where we're being threatened to lose critical parts of our anatomy lab because people just can't be considerate, I know it's not 100% me. I think everyone takes a pretty big hit when they perform below their own personal expectations, but it is a little worse when I'm putting so much pressure on myself to get good grades. I'm trying to ease up on myself, really.

I don't know if it's just an AZ thing, and I know @alohacat319 and @katashark will know what I'm talking about, but what is up with the shorts and skirts so short you can now see the butt crease when girls walk? I don't remember this 2 years ago and when I was at UT Austin.

There's no way you can leave the house in the morning not knowing your ass is out, and frankly, you might as well wear lingerie to school. I realize I have perfect line-of-sight from a wheelchair, but really, no matter how attractive you are my first thought is "Hello butt. Please put some pants on."

I should start rolling around with my balls out of my pants.

I don't know if it's just an AZ thing, and I know @alohacat319 and @katashark will know what I'm talking about, but what is up with the shorts and skirts so short you can now see the butt crease when girls walk? I don't remember this 2 years ago and when I was at UT Austin.

There's no way you can leave the house in the morning not knowing your ass is out, and frankly, you might as well wear lingerie to school. I realize I have perfect line-of-sight from a wheelchair, but really, no matter how attractive you are my first thought is "Hello butt. Please put some pants on."

Definitely not just AZ, the high waisted thing is just a thing now, like wearing leggings as pants.

I did not understand the direct proportionality between high-waistedness and butt exposure. :panda:
Haha. Well it seems in the current iteration of the high waisted trend, the total length of the garment is the same as it would have been if worn at the hips. So you move it up a couple inches and bam, exposed booty.

It's kinda like the short shorts and XXXXXL t-shirts so it looks like you just rolled of bed and forgot to pants on... I would almost rather see butts lol. Girls (as should guys) should be able to wear whatever they want without being judged, HOWEVER, I don't understand why certain people in certain groups want to wear the same exact thing as everyone else even when it looks absolutely ridiculous.

I get what you're saying, but when we have class announcements where we're being threatened to lose critical parts of our anatomy lab because people just can't be considerate, I know it's not 100% me. I think everyone takes a pretty big hit when they perform below their own personal expectations, but it is a little worse when I'm putting so much pressure on myself to get good grades. I'm trying to ease up on myself, really.
Never said it was 100% you. It just sounded like you might be contributing to something you had issues with. The fact that you say it's worse for you than other people... is a little telling. That attitude is not fun to be around when everyone else around you is working hard/struggling to keep up with the material and expectations. Which it sounds like is kind of what annoyed you in the first place.

Don't worry though, vet school has a way of breaking most people down to a certain level of apathy by third year, and people generally chill out by the time they hit clinics. It gets way too busy to be worrying about your ego. By then a vast majority of people are just focused on doing their best, learning as much as they can, and doing right by their patients and work well together with their classmates. Future career goals tend to just kind of fall place.

Reactions: 3 users
And that really shouldn't be a reason to not hire someone...

I'm like old and unfashionable so my wardrobe is still in the early 2000s, and have no idea what it's like to wear these things. But if shorts get that short, don't you get a really awful wedgie every time you take a step forward?

As an addendum, honestly I don't care even a little bit and people can wear what they want. Of course you should wear clothing appropriate for your job or whatever if that's what you're doing, but in general...if that's what they want to wear then more power to them. I don't wear leggings as pants and I don't wear super short shorts/skirts because it makes me uncomfortable. I don't like the idea of people staring at my butt :p

I'm like old and unfashionable so my wardrobe is still in the early 2000s, and have no idea what it's like to wear these things. But if shorts get that short, don't you get a really awful wedgie every time you take a step forward?
This too, I can't imagine they're actually comfortable to wear.

But if shorts get that short, don't you get a really awful wedgie every time you take a step forward?

Why you asking me? I can't even walk :p

As an addendum, honestly I don't care even a little bit and people can wear what they want. Of course you should wear clothing appropriate for your job or whatever if that's what you're doing, but in general...if that's what they want to wear then more power to them.

Time and a place.

Most colleges don't really have a strict dress code.

I missed this earlier :laugh: Butt does not equal balls though :p

Just because something is or isn't stated explicitly in a rulebook doesn't necessarily mean it's socially tasteful or the best thing to do. Just my thoughts, and you know what they say about opinions...‎

I think the state of high-waisted fashion is shaping up to be a great Argument Task for the next GRE. ETS, are you listening?‎

Just because something is or isn't stated explicitly in a rulebook doesn't necessarily mean it's socially tasteful or the best thing to do. Just my thoughts, and you know what they say about opinions...‎

I think the state of high-waisted fashion is shaping up to be a great Argument Task for the next GRE. ETS, are you listening?‎
Ah yes but what exactly determines what is socially tasteful? Which part of society gets the final ruling? :bear: