RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I completely agree, but someone posted it on our CVM's main page to try to bash all of us and then we had a mass email about it, explaining why it was all false/slander. So it was hard to avoid, but I made the mistake of reading some of the comments, which was full of ignorance and hate (someone said all of us at the vet school should be tortured, etc). And to think it was all based on complete lies too.. ugh

Yeah I got the email and decided to just ignore the whole thing rather than having my faith in humanity drop even more by reading the article and comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I've always seen this. As a vet, you inform them that is will not be recognized should an incident occur, but a decent portion of the population use agriculture supply stores for vaccines.

In that particular link, they were advertising vaccine clinics that had a veterinarian present.

Nope still annoys me. Several of the feed stores don't store them well and I've seen more than 1 failure with a client who doesn't want to hear it. The feed stores here don't have vets for vaccine clinics and the employees feel like they should be given honorary dvms.

They then try to accuse vets of being money hungry but the cost of vaccines at the feed store aren't much less.

It all contributes to the erosion of trust

At Chuck and Dons, even the corporate owners apparently feel the employees are on par with veterinarians. They STILL have their stupid, insulting Peterinarian campaign........

In that particular link, they were advertising vaccine clinics that had a veterinarian present.
A few of the feed stores I know talk vet clinics into doing them as a marketing event.

"Meet the vet from Awesome Vet Clinic! Get cheap vaccines!"

Vet clinics show off new staff, meet the public, fill your appointment schedule...

But those stores often have a pretty good relationship with the local vets, and have vet student employees, and send people to veterinarians with questions rather than play god.

haha. I noticed after I replied. Seems like there are more states being added to the do not sell list. 33 or something are on the non vet cannot buy rabvac. Still leaves plenty of others though.

Last night at one AM my ceiling fan started leaking water. Idk if it was a roof leak or what, but I was woken up by it raining in my room. Couldn't get ahold of emergency maintenance so I put a Tupperware and a towel under it and went back to sleep. But how tf does a ceiling fan start leaking water?! Do you call an electrician or a plumber?

My life is on the struggle bus right now.

Last night at one AM my ceiling fan started leaking water. Idk if it was a roof leak or what, but I was woken up by it raining in my room. Couldn't get ahold of emergency maintenance so I put a Tupperware and a towel under it and went back to sleep. But how tf does a ceiling fan start leaking water?! Do you call an electrician or a plumber?

My life is on the struggle bus right now.
Plumber or a roofer. Was it raining? It's probably a hole in the roof, hence the roofer. If a pipe has burst, then you'll need a plumber. Don't bother calling an electrician. It's probably not the actual ceiling fan that is leaking, but something else and that just happens to be where the water is coming out.

Like lupin said, when we would occasionally see it happen (generally some first time cat owner would come in with their fancy special breed kitten with a piece of paper that had a bunch of vaccine stickers and dates scribbled on by the breeder), we'd tell clients that vaccines are only guaranteed when given by a vet hospital. We'd make a note of it in the record, but wouldn't put them as being vaccinated. Most people had no idea and were very understanding and would choose to revaccinate. Occasionally someone would get mad about it, but more at the breeder who told them it was okay than us.

Was that true for all vaccines at your practice? At the last place I worked, we accepted vaccine records from breeders if they clearly wrote the dates and included the stickers. We did have someone bring a slip of paper with just scribbled nonsense and then "5 way" and a date, and the doctor refused to accept that. But the vast majority of our clients were bringing their new puppy or kitten in at an age where they were still in that window for needing more distemper boosters and vaccines like Lyme and lepto, which most breeders didn't do. So under our protocol, they had to be vaccinated some more anyway, and the vast majority of clients were okay with that.

Meh, I don't get too annoyed about this type of stuff anymore. I'll explain the things they should hear to them, then let the owners do what they will. I'm not changing a made up mind.

What annoys me more are clients that actively ignore me or those that stop meds or don't do something I've recommended then come back telling me their pet isn't better.... well, maybe you should do what I said, like really, you should try it, maybe, possibly.

Fair enough. I mean, all you can do is give them the information, and then it's out of your hands. Personally, it bothered me a little bit because of how prevalent rabies is in that area. Every year, there are multiple news reports of people and dogs being attacked by a potentially or confirmed rabid animal, and if someone wants to take the risks that come with buying a vaccine at a feed store, then that's on them, but man, I hope they're not unlucky.

And I agree that clients ignoring recommendations and then getting mad their pet isn't better is a lot more frustrating. Especially when they tack on comments about how much money they've spent. That one's my personal favorite.

Nope still annoys me. Several of the feed stores don't store them well and I've seen more than 1 failure with a client who doesn't want to hear it. The feed stores here don't have vets for vaccine clinics and the employees feel like they should be given honorary dvms.

They then try to accuse vets of being money hungry but the cost of vaccines at the feed store aren't much less.

It all contributes to the erosion of trust

They run vaccine clinics without vets? Wow. That's crazy. Do they at least have any licensed techs, or is it just some employee doing it? I guess it'd be "worth it" if you wanted to just buy vaccines off the shelf and do it yourself but couldn't for whatever reason, but that seems so crazy. It seems somewhat logical that they'd allow a company to advertise vaccine clinics if they're allowed to sell vaccines over-the-counter, but that still strikes me as way over the line and into the territory of practicing medicine. Like, you can buy bandaging material and first aid supplies at the drug store, but you can't run a bandaging clinic for injured people out of your garage, so why should people be able to run vaccine clinics without at least supervision from someone with a license to practice medicine? I'd hope they're at least informing people that it's not the same, but it wouldn't be surprising if they didn't.

They run vaccine clinics without vets? Wow. That's crazy. Do they at least have any licensed techs, or is it just some employee doing it? I guess it'd be "worth it" if you wanted to just buy vaccines off the shelf and do it yourself but couldn't for whatever reason, but that seems so crazy. It seems somewhat logical that they'd allow a company to advertise vaccine clinics if they're allowed to sell vaccines over-the-counter, but that still strikes me as way over the line and into the territory of practicing medicine. Like, you can buy bandaging material and first aid supplies at the drug store, but you can't run a bandaging clinic for injured people out of your garage, so why should people be able to run vaccine clinics without at least supervision from someone with a license to practice medicine? I'd hope they're at least informing people that it's not the same, but it wouldn't be surprising if they didn't.
They don't often run clinics. They just sell the vaccines and tell owners how to give them. it's just as bad IMO. they basically tell the client it's the same thing (they often are a different brand that doesn't have the best reputation).

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got home from school and there was a note from maintenance saying that they had come by and the job was complete. So I went to the office to find out what had been the problem and what they did to fix it. They then informed me that there was in fact no problem they could find and that it has been reported in apartments before but they aren't sure how to fix it or why it's happening. So I told them I have pictures that I could show that to prove what is going on. They said they believed me, but couldn't find a problem. Then the guy goes "I wasn't awake at 1am, so I don't know if there were high winds or something outside." Wtf.... I didn't want to be awake at 1am either! I only was because it was raining IN my apartment. So then I asked what to do in the future for emergency maintenance and they said to do the same things I did last night to call and leave a voicemail, and that it gets fwd and they will come by if needed. So glad that a water leak in the middle of the night was not considered necessary for maintenance.

This past week has been awful. I've been in a constant battle with financial aid at my school saying they are not going to give me any funds due to something that is their fault. Then I got some bad news at the doctor's office and now have to have surgery in two and a half weeks. I'm trying to be optimistic about things, but dang. :(

Not-so-dear clients:

Once you wake me up, it takes me a good hour to fall asleep again, assuming that I can fall asleep again. Therefore, the middle of the night/wee hours of the morning calls that result in you not coming in have to stop. See, losing sleep is bad enough. Losing sleep and not even getting paid for it makes me want to kick you. So please, DO NOT CALL unless you a) seriously believe your animal will die before 8 AM, b) have secured at least $250 to cover the most basic of costs and c) have a way to get to the clinic now. If you don't meet the above criteria, wait until you do to call me. Otherwise you are wasting everyone's time and endangering my blood pressure. And if you decline to come in when you call, and subsequently don't come in the next day for your oh-so-pressing emergency, I will permanently label you a drama llama.

My grandmother's dementia is pretty bad these days. She's pretty much verbally abusive all day long instead of having bouts of it and she refuses to take any medication. The doctor who used to do the house calls has been gone for 3 months and hasn't been replaced, and her case isn't considered a priority because her body is comparatively healthy. I feel terrible for my mother. Having to take care of someone who can't really walk while having them hurl abuse at you all day, every day, and never being able to leave the house for more than a few hours because of that is some really heavy sh-t.

It's now officially been two months since I finished my first rotation of fourth year. I want my grades :mad:

Rumor mill is saying they may get rid of my whole section of the company to get rid of the person who has been so aweful to me.
This is backed up by the story that my boss boss was just caught interviewing at a competitor because as a part owner, he was warned by the company that bought us over.

I have about 1 month...

One of my smoke alarms is making an intermittent 'chirp' noise every 5-10 minutes. It can't be the battery because this one is wired in and doesn't have a battery. My dog is terrified. He's trembling and alternating between cowering/hiding and sitting on my lap. I got it unplugged and after over half an hour disconnected it finally quit making noise...I think. My luck it'll come back on at 2 am or something. I already have a maintenance request in because my kitchen sink is leaking down in the cabinet below. Hopefully they come fix things soon. The sink is a hassle since I can't use that one or the cabinet floods, but when something is scaring my dog that bad and making it impossible for us to sleep that's another thing.

Minor rant, but I found a recipe sometime in the recent past for an eggplant roulade that wasn't too loaded with sauce. I thought it was from Smitten Kitchen, but I can't find it. In the book, on the website, or on any of my other usual food blogs. I feel like I'm losing my mind.

One of my smoke alarms is making an intermittent 'chirp' noise every 5-10 minutes. It can't be the battery because this one is wired in and doesn't have a battery. My dog is terrified. He's trembling and alternating between cowering/hiding and sitting on my lap. I got it unplugged and after over half an hour disconnected it finally quit making noise...I think. My luck it'll come back on at 2 am or something. I already have a maintenance request in because my kitchen sink is leaking down in the cabinet below. Hopefully they come fix things soon. The sink is a hassle since I can't use that one or the cabinet floods, but when something is scaring my dog that bad and making it impossible for us to sleep that's another thing.
It's not the carbon monoxide detector is it?

They sometimes still have battery as back up
Yeah, you're right. I couldn't see a way to take it apart, but idk. :shrug: Luckily I have the other three that work normally (I tested them today to make sure) so I'm not too worried about the one being non-functional tonight now that it's quiet. This apartment has been good about coming quickly for maintenance so I bet they have it troubleshot or replaced tomorrow.

I hope your kidney stone situation is resolved soon. That isn't something I've ever experienced but is horrible from what I've heard.

Yeah, you're right. I couldn't see a way to take it apart, but idk. :shrug: Luckily I have the other three that work normally (I tested them today to make sure) so I'm not too worried about the one being non-functional tonight now that it's quiet. This apartment has been good about coming quickly for maintenance so I bet they have it troubleshot or replaced tomorrow.

I hope your kidney stone situation is resolved soon. That isn't something I've ever experienced but is horrible from what I've heard.
Probably by tomorrow because I'm being admitted tonight after an increase in pain throughout the day

I didn't get grades for my first rotation until like a month before graduation. Cause I complained to my assistance registrar. Several times. DO YOUR JOB, YO!
That's so infuriating. We have a professor, in third year, that routinely takes MONTHS to get grades back even if you have her at the end of the year. This means you start planning your fourth year only to find out you failed and have to rearrange your schedule to retake her exam/rotation. I know for a fact the school has deadlines in place for grades, so I'm really not sure why they don't adhere to them.

I have two weddings to go to this weekend. I am the only one of my friends not bringing a date/SO. I am 100% okay being a long time single girl (and very much not looking for a partner) but boy do events like this get awkward when you're alone. (Did I mention I have significant social anxiety and hate meeting new people?)

Last edited:
That moment when your apartment complex is offering free breakfast at 8 AM but you can't go because you're a vet student and that's when classes start. :(

My grandmother's dementia is pretty bad these days. She's pretty much verbally abusive all day long instead of having bouts of it and she refuses to take any medication. The doctor who used to do the house calls has been gone for 3 months and hasn't been replaced, and her case isn't considered a priority because her body is comparatively healthy. I feel terrible for my mother. Having to take care of someone who can't really walk while having them hurl abuse at you all day, every day, and never being able to leave the house for more than a few hours because of that is some really heavy sh-t.

My dad had terrible repeating post-ictal psychosis in his last months along with brain damage from years of alcohol abuse. He was so anxious and delusional that mom couldn't even leave him alone to go to the grocery store without hiring a sitter, and whenever he had to go to the hospital it spiraled into actual hostility. I felt horrible for her (and yours) too....I wouldn't wish that type of caregiving on my worst enemy.

Why yes internet company, I would be happy to wait until Thursday for you to send someone out to evaluate the service that's been out since Saturday night, and be even happier to hear you can't give me a time frame, just before 6pm. I totally wanted to just hang around my house all day on my day off.

Why yes internet company, I would be happy to wait until Thursday for you to send someone out to evaluate the service that's been out since Saturday night, and be even happier to hear you can't give me a time frame, just before 6pm. I totally wanted to just hang around my house all day on my day off.

Comcast?

Reactions: 1 users