RD looking to become MD...Advice needed :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitochondria2

I am looking for advice on how it might be possible for me to get into medical school. Any opinions are welcome :)

I graduated in 2009 with a BS degree in Nutrition, then completed a post-bac dietetic internship (DI) with some graduate class credit. The DI combined graduate coursework with a field experience and after I completed the performance requirements of the field experience, I sat for the national registration exam to become a Registered Dietitian (RD). I obtained my RD in October 2009. I am currently work as Clinical Dietitian at a large teaching hospital and Trauma Center. I really enjoy the clinical setting and inpatient care. However, I would like to step into a more medical approach to patient care. I would consider either MD or DO school.

I have only a few of my pre-med prerequisites completed as many of my undergrad science courses are major specific, and I am aware that those classes will not fulfill pre-med requirements. I have taken General Chem I, Microbiology, Physiology, and Anatomy & Phys (combined), O-Chem (major specific), and Biochem (major specific). I have not taken the MCAT.

I have clinical experience and volunteer experience, however, no research, or shadowing experience as of yet.

What are my options?

Should I enroll in a post-bacc program and increase my chances of doing well on the MCAT? Or take classes at a community college to fulfill pre-med prerequisites? Cost is a slight concern and I would like to work at least part-time while completing prerequisites.

And during which, volunteer and/or shadow and/or conduct research?

Possibly enroll in a Graduate Program? I am not sure if I can take prerequisites while enrolled in a Grad Program??

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend you to take classes at a community college so that you can finish your pre-reqs :) In regards to deciding between research or volunteer while you're finishing pre-reqs, I believe volunteering/shadowing is suitable since you won't be under pressure too much as compared to research responsibilities (publication papers due, presentation preparations, etc.) however if you can handle, I say go for it with research while volunteering/shadowing :thumbup: last but not least good luck studying for the mcat!!! enrolling in a review course helped me instead of taking post-bac classes but it is up to you. good luck again!

Make sure you are aware of school specific requirements when considering where to take your pre-reqs, especially if you have a specific school in mind. Some schools will not accept community college credits for your pre-reqs.

I would recommend you to take classes at a community college so that you can finish your pre-reqs :) In regards to deciding between research or volunteer while you're finishing pre-reqs, I believe volunteering/shadowing is suitable since you won't be under pressure too much as compared to research responsibilities (publication papers due, presentation preparations, etc.) however if you can handle, I say go for it with research while volunteering/shadowing :thumbup: last but not least good luck studying for the mcat!!! enrolling in a review course helped me instead of taking post-bac classes but it is up to you. good luck again!

this is sound advice.