Renal Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all. I am new to this thread. I just got an interview from University of Florida, Jacksonville. Has anyone interviewed there?, any idea on why is the invitation this late and whether there are any internal candidates?... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I called several weeks ago they told me they were still reviewing applications

Any thoughts on the west coast programs? what were your impressions? Which programs considered more malignant than others?
I only interviewed at UCSF and it seemed like a very congenial program-- people were very nice, fellows had good things to say about the program and the clinical training is very strong--they are stronger clinically than in research--overall I didnt get a malignant feeling but it doesnt seem to be a cake-walk either. They are in the process of finding a new chief and a lot will depend on who comes in with what kind of research..BTW, for those interested in translpant it is the mecca.
And yes, they actually took the time to show us the hospital, clinics , dialysis facility etc..I went to some programs and only 3 out of 10 had any kind of tour organized for us..

Members don't see this ad :)
I called several weeks ago they told me they were still reviewing applications

Come to singapore. You might get a higher chance to be accepted into renal medicine in any of the major restructured hospitals here. We also have private renal medical centres (i.e. NKF & KDF)..:)

hello, did you interview at geisinger already? if so, how is the program?

no I didn't interview there though they called me. I couldn't fit it in my schedule! Good luck to you

It's a pretty small program from what I hear and kinda new.

Hi
Thanks for the replies hosp Md and Chaisy. I have not been active in this forum for quite sometime. I between I got 2 interviews. I have recently been offered a one year Critical care fellowship in my hospital just before I was going to finalise a hospitalist job. The problem is that I have no follow up
fellowship after critical care at this time so as to be able get board certified in Critical care. The dept is saying that in case I dont match into Neph for 2009 then they will help me find a spot for 2010 but no guarantees. One cannot practice ccm or be board eligible wth a one year position. I am debating if I should take that for the upcoming academic year. The
reason why I am interested in this opportunity is that I like ICU medicine and I am hoping to club that with a 2 year Nephrology fellowship which will make me Board eligible for Critical care and if all ends well I will be triple boarded. There is also an insecurity behind this inclination, that is fellowship positions are getting competitive and in case I fail to get a position through the upcoming match, I would be a fellow in our ICU and I can work from within the system and take advantage of a mentor-protege relationship instead of
an employer-employee relationship that would exist in a hospitalist job. At the same time, I also have a concern that a one-year critcal care fellowship would not make me board eligible and I would end up wasting a year and being more frustrated that that I have worked hard on something without getting any credit for it. I asked them if they would be able to convert it into a 2 yr CCM fellowship at the end of of year, but they cannot. they are promising to help me find a spot for 2010 in case I dont match this year but you never know if that will work. Any thoughts on this situation?

Thanks in anticipation.

Hello Everyone,
Can anyone here comment on the program in Univ of Texas Southwestern in Dallas.

Thank you in advance.
chaisy

The program at UTSW is intense. You work very hard, but at the same time you come out prepared to handle absolutely anything. Parkland is a very busy hospital so you get excellent clinical training and the nephrology faculty are fantastic. They love to teach and are very approachable. Let me know if you have any more questions! Good luck. :)

CCM 1 yr fellowship will definitely make you very competitive for nephrology fellowship next year. Also you have a good chance for matching for 2009 nephrology position if programs where u interviewed know u r doing CCM for 2008. By doing hospitalist you still have chance (but not compared to CCM) to get fellowship for 2010 (if u don't get it in 2009) but you will have much more money in your bank. Programs never "guarantee" next year position but if they say so its "almost 95% guaranteed". I would go for 1yr CCM feloowship because that will last for your lifetime. Hope this help.

Hi
Thanks for the replies hosp Md and Chaisy. I have not been active in this forum for quite sometime. I between I got 2 interviews. I have recently been offered a one year Critical care fellowship in my hospital just before I was going to finalise a hospitalist job. The problem is that I have no follow up
fellowship after critical care at this time so as to be able get board certified in Critical care. The dept is saying that in case I dont match into Neph for 2009 then they will help me find a spot for 2010 but no guarantees. One cannot practice ccm or be board eligible wth a one year position. I am debating if I should take that for the upcoming academic year. The
reason why I am interested in this opportunity is that I like ICU medicine and I am hoping to club that with a 2 year Nephrology fellowship which will make me Board eligible for Critical care and if all ends well I will be triple boarded. There is also an insecurity behind this inclination, that is fellowship positions are getting competitive and in case I fail to get a position through the upcoming match, I would be a fellow in our ICU and I can work from within the system and take advantage of a mentor-protege relationship instead of
an employer-employee relationship that would exist in a hospitalist job. At the same time, I also have a concern that a one-year critcal care fellowship would not make me board eligible and I would end up wasting a year and being more frustrated that that I have worked hard on something without getting any credit for it. I asked them if they would be able to convert it into a 2 yr CCM fellowship at the end of of year, but they cannot. they are promising to help me find a spot for 2010 in case I dont match this year but you never know if that will work. Any thoughts on this situation?

Thanks in anticipation.

June 18th is still pretty far away....can't wait till then....are people still interviewing at this point?

Good luck

Good luck to all of you guys....The match date is approaching very quickly.

Some people are telling me that there is a equation I can use to predict my chance of getting into a fellowship program with number of interviews I had. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Would you mind sharing the equation with us??
I do not think it can be predicted without knowing how your performance in the interiew was for any specific program, you may have 10 IVs but if you are consistently ranked low you will not match anywhere. Also with just 1 IV you can get it if ranked in match position or a little bit lower with some luck.
Anyway knowing the equaton seems to be interesting.
GL all I am waiting and still match day is far away!!!!!!

Hey GUys,

How are you ranking the programs ? Is it based on their responses? I was just wondering if NY programs are replying back to your emails? I did not get any replies from even one of my emails. Does that mean noone is interested in me ? Please comment.

I would not put much thought into not hearing back from programs. I haven't heard anything from any of the NY programs I applied to. I think that as long as you expressed any interest in the programs you applied to you should be OK as long as they are interested in ranking you...it's so difficult to predict these things. Technically, they shouldn't contact the applicants because they could violate the integrity of the match....although, I'm sure that some undercover activity still goes on.

Hey GUys,

How are you ranking the programs ? Is it based on their responses? I was just wondering if NY programs are replying back to your emails? I did not get any replies from even one of my emails. Does that mean noone is interested in me ? Please comment.

Hi pedronovaja,

Thanks for the reply. Got some relief with your reply. When is the deadline to submit the rank order ? Did you submit it already ?

Anyways, Goodluck or the match.
Keeping my fingers crossed !!!

I don't recall when is the deadline for applicants. Programs need to submit their list by June 4th...I'm assuming it's similar for us but not completely sure.
I'm still deciding among my top 5 programs....haven't finalized it yet.

After looking back through the posts, I cannot find what the application timeline is for nephrology fellowships. Does it open with ERAS in July or is it in December? What is the typical application timeline? Thanks! Best of luck to you all! I'm interested to see where you all match.

If you go to the ERAS website you will likely find a timetable for the application process. I don't know off hand all the dates but the main ones are Dec 1st which is the day the programs can download your application, June
4th which is the deadline for submiting your rank list and June 18th which is match day...Hopefully that helps

After looking back through the posts, I cannot find what the application timeline is for nephrology fellowships. Does it open with ERAS in July or is it in December? What is the typical application timeline? Thanks! Best of luck to you all! I'm interested to see where you all match.

I don't know how you guys feel, but I have never been more confused before. Struggling with my top five choices. Three years excellent program, or two years very good program. lots of questions. I understand, I am the only one who can answer them, but still difficult. How do you guys feel?

Best of Luck.

I dont think it matters that much for most of us unless you are set on pursuing a bench research career. At my program (university based) most faculty in the renal department are 2year graduates and they all hold academic positions. They are hiring another person who graduated from my program and went for a 2 year fellowship at BID. So I would rank the program where you feel most comfortable regardless of whether is a 2 or 3 year program. You can always ask for a 3rd year of research if you are really interested.
Good luck

I don't know how you guys feel, but I have never been more confused before. Struggling with my top five choices. Three years excellent program, or two years very good program. lots of questions. I understand, I am the only one who can answer them, but still difficult. How do you guys feel?

Best of Luck.

Received a rejection letter today.....sad...sad.....sad....

tomorrow is dead line for ranking submission.

I Wish good luck to all and hope every one will match ...

does any body know how can we find out how many spot programs are putting in match..

thanks and good luck to all

Log on to nrmp.org. Put your username and password and browse under directory.
The info about every program is supossed to be current as people might make decisions based on the number of spots that are given through the match.
Also people need to know if any given program has withdrawn from the match so it will not be listed.
Still 2 weeks to wait GL to every1
R2009

tomorrow is dead line for ranking submission.

I Wish good luck to all and hope every one will match ...

does any body know how can we find out how many spot programs are putting in match..

thanks and good luck to all

Please tell me you didn't really post yesterday (Thursday June 5th) the above message about the rank list deadline being "tomorrow." I am relatively certain (considering I logged on to NRMP on Wednesday and it said closed) that the deadline to submit a rank list was Wednesday the 4th. Good luck to everyone! The wait is killing me, but only 12 more days to go.

the count down begins guys....9 days to go. best of luck to everyone.

so once the match is out, will I get an answer to my question posted a few pages back, as to what makes a good renal applicant? :confused:

I just wanted to wish each and everyone of you guys contributing to this nice forum which I enjoyed a bunch, good luck

beeeso

are you guys posting planning on posting where you match in the forum?

Best of luck!!

so once the match is out, will I get an answer to my question posted a few pages back, as to what makes a good renal applicant? :confused:

Long cv with research, publications, presentations, good scores. Good resident history so you will get good LORs. If you have these, you are guaranteed several interviews. Then it's easy, don't act smart at interviews but make sure your accomplishments are known. Have an area of research interest in mind when you go interview since that will be asked a lot--a very focused area.
Matched at first choice.
santa

Very sad,
6 IVs, no match. Congratulations to all that matched
R2009

I just wanted to wish each and everyone of you guys contributing to this nice forum which I enjoyed a bunch, good luck

beeeso

So Beeso,
What's the good news?? No dice for me, but no big deal, I kinda expected it with only 1 IV that I got. Anyway, it would be nice how people did, and this forum was great and very informative.
HospMD

Very sad,
6 IVs, no match. Congratulations to all that matched
R2009
Hey renal2009,
If it's any consolation, I didn't match either, but then again, when you only have 1 IV, it's really not much of a surprise. It was great that you got 6IV's so I could only imagine, it must be tough to not being able to match.
Congrats to all that matched. It would be nice to know where people ended up.

Got 3 interviews.
UAB, Jackson Miami and NYU
Did not match. Sucks but moving on.

6 IV

didnt match

Enjoy primary care.

This is not end of life move on

Congratulations to all those who matched, and good luck in the future to all those who are awaiting a spot. I'm just curious as to which programs did not fill. I saw there were 15 of them and 19 spots overall.

Thanks!

...at a big research track program in Boston.

All the best for those vying for the available open spots and congratulations to those who would join next year !

This thread/forum has been a source of immense help and guidance. Let the spirit continue.

Last edited:
3 IVs. Didnt match.

Almost nothing left in scramble. Guess they had the backups filled in already.

Hi all,
Congrats to those who matched, commiserations to those who didn't and good luck in finding a spot for next yr.
Matched at first choice, so I am delighted.
As regards a few queries that have popped up in these boards, I think that research is not all that important. I certainly didn't have any, and I had interviews from a lot of the top programs. I think it is more important to have strong letters and project yourself well in your interviews. I matched at a big research program, however I always told them I am only interested in the 2 yr program and thats what i matched into.
Again, not to discourage people from doing research as a resident, but i always got the feeling during my interviews that I was not at a major disadvantage because of my lack of research.

Hi all,
Congrats to those who matched, commiserations to those who didn't and good luck in finding a spot for next yr.
Matched at first choice, so I am delighted.
As regards a few queries that have popped up in these boards, I think that research is not all that important. I certainly didn't have any, and I had interviews from a lot of the top programs. I think it is more important to have strong letters and project yourself well in your interviews. I matched at a big research program, however I always told them I am only interested in the 2 yr program and thats what i matched into.
Again, not to discourage people from doing research as a resident, but i always got the feeling during my interviews that I was not at a major disadvantage because of my lack of research.

Hey congrats Moozyman,
You're right about coming across as yourself on the interviews and interesting to see that from your perspective research wasn't big. But still, if you have it, its always a good thing. I, myself, was only vying for the 2 yr tract programs, and though there are some 3yrs tract positions open that I saw in post scramble, I'm not too sure they're for me, because I have never done any type of true research...although you do need it for academic positions. Anyway, congrats again and best of luck. By the way, where did you match, if you don't mind saying.

Hi Guys, I am new to this thread, I am done with my residency this year and am currently working as a Hospitalist this year, did apply in 2 and 3 year in PCCM and Nephro, got 4 interviews, did not match. Dont know what to do now. Can someone help me guide which is a better field so that I can channel my efforts in one directions, I like both specialities but am really confused. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

consider Nephro- critical care....(1 yr extra) If you want to choose b/w the two- each has pros and cons: nephro lifestyle better than pulm/Critical care, returns may be more in PCCM vs nephro- correct me if I am wrong...dude depends on your priorities

There is an interesting discussion about nephrology prospects going on,
here is the link:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=559458

Thanks for the input guys. I did try for Nephro fellowship 2 years in a row, in my 2nd and 3rd year of residency- it seems it is still very competitive. Did not get many interviews. Reading all the threads, I dont know why. I am currently working as a Hospitalist but am definitely interested in pursuing fellowship.

Thanks for the input guys. I did try for Nephro fellowship 2 years in a row, in my 2nd and 3rd year of residency- it seems it is still very competitive. Did not get many interviews. Reading all the threads, I dont know why. I am currently working as a Hospitalist but am definitely interested in pursuing fellowship.

Someone recently told me that one of his friends who recently graduated from a nephro fellowship program is working a Hospitalist in Int Medicine as the salary was better in it compared to nephro jobs. That sucks.

Not only that ,I know fellow residents that are making mid 250s in General Internal Medicine putting less hours than any nephrologist.
Unfortunately market is not on our side as we have only one payer (government) that I do not think want us to make more money.
This web site is amazing,this topic was discussed before in 2007 , I wish I would have looked up before. Here is the link:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=392430

Not only that ,I know fellow residents that are making mid 250s in General Internal Medicine putting less hours than any nephrologist.
Unfortunately market is not on our side as we have only one payer (government) that I do not think want us to make more money.
This web site is amazing,this topic was discussed before in 2007 , I wish I would have looked up before. Here is the link:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=392430

Can anyone tell me what the average start salary for Nephrologist and PCCM doc is in big cities like Chicago, NY. Most of the website gives unreal fig. I would appreciate it someone from specialities can tell me. Its hard for me to take a decision as I plan to do research in either one.

I'm new to this thread. I'm planning to apply for next yr. I was wondering if you knew whether the essay was very impotant, how much time did you spend formulating and writing it, and if you had any suggestions for what to definitely include in it to make it attractive, please. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts/ideas.