results 2nd time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreambig2night

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

for all those who retook the MCAT...

did your scores improve the second time you took it or did it get worse?

and why do you think you performed better/worse the second time?

I want to find out what the general trend is...and i'm hoping to get some tips for april 2005.

thanks! :)

how I did:

25P

p-9
v-7
b-9

Members don't see this ad.

dreambig2night said:
hi all,

I want to find out what the general trend is...and i'm hoping to get some tips for april 2005.

thanks! :)

how I did:

25P

p-9
v-7
b-9

I think you will find that it depends on the person: their reason for retaking the test, what else is going on their lives, whether they studied properly, etc. For me, I did well enough on the test the first time, but life got in the way and I decided not to go to med school. Still, I never quite forgot my "dream" of med school, and now I am in a position to try it again and actually go through with it this time. I had to retake the test because my old scores expired. It has been over a decade since I took physics, so I had to study it quite a bit, but it was totally worth it. I studied on my own and also taught MCAT prep classes. My score increased by 9 points overall (from a 34 to a 43). I'll give you the same tip I always give my students: practice the VR. Practice reading dense prose. VR is the killer for most people; but if you learn to do well on that section, your sciences will also improve, assuming you know the basic material.

I know that the studying and teaching I did this summer really made a difference for me. But I think that the most important thing that is different for me now is that I'm finally psychologically ready to go to medical school, and I'm not being pressured into it by my parents. (Easy to have happen when your dad's a doc and would like you to follow in his footsteps!) There is no way to study how to be in the right frame of mind. Each of us gets there when we're ready, and not a minute sooner; I'm obviously a latebloomer.

Good luck with your studying!

dreambig2night said:
hi all,

although I only needed to write MCAT once, I have observed with my friends that if they didn't learn to study for the first one they didn't do better just because they wrote it again. A bad day if one knows his/her material shouldn't really bring a person down much.

Bottom line, practice like crazy. Get old practice exams, get practice materials, and do them. Reading is not enough. It takes hours and hours and hours just to boost one's score a point!

If your scores in any section are dropping by more then a point, or more then a point overall then your studying habits are not effective or you are not putting in enough time! (get a stop watch and actually log the hours you spend on the MCAT for each section!) Ideally 3 months prep (for avg student) with about minimum 15-20 hours per week (if you want to score high)

Members don't see this ad :)
Denn said:
You retook it after getting 34!!!!!!!!!!!! Reasons? You scored, 14,14,6 ?

No! If you read my previous post, I already explained this. MY PREVIOUS SCORES HAD EXPIRED. I took the test for the first time in 1996. The scores are only good for 3 years. Therefore, I had no choice but to take the test again because my first scores no longer will be accepted. It doesn't matter how high your scores are if too much time has passed since you took the test!

April '04: PS=6, VR=8, BS=8; Total=22N

August '04: PS=7, VR=8, BS=8; Total=23Q

I'm a non-trad and have been out of my basic science courses for 4 years or more (depending on the class). I was naive the first time I took the test and only "reviewed" material (used Kaplan's comprehensive review book). You can see where that got me. In June when I saw my agregious score (and almost died instantaneously), I purchased Examkrackers and studied my ass off for 2 months until the the August exam. It didn't help much, and I believe it was because I didn't have enough time. I had to reteach myself chemistry and physics, needed to memorize all the biology information, practiced verbal reasoning, and tried to make this all apply to the MCAT. 2 months just wasn't enough time for me to do all that. Though I'm still applying this year, I'm accepting the reality that I will probably be applying again next year, and I'm studying now to retake the April '05 exam. I don't think there was anything wrong with my study material or study habits for the August exam . . . I literally didn't have enough time to get it all in. My current study material includes my EK material (I'll go over it all again . . . and some stuff that I didn't have a chance to get to), all 5 AMCAS practice tests (3R-7), a friend's Kaplan course material (including more practice exams), and my old texts for anything I can't understand using just the MCAT material. I think I have enough material and my study habits are appropriate for me to get in the low to mid-30's next April. I should mention I devoted about 20 hours/week studying, and plan on doing about the same for next April (keep in mind I work full-time and am a single mother . . . so no studying 60 hours/week for me!).

Anyway, I don't know if that helped you, but I thought I'd share. Good luck with your studying and take care.