Roseman University of Health Sciences - 2012 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if students from India/"minority" students get a special break on acceptances?

My PCAT (overall) is under 30% and I only got 40% on science sections, but I was called in for an interview.

The word is out that if you are Indian, they will accept you, no matter what your scores.
Why would any one specific "minority" group receive a special break? That doesn't even make sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if students from India/"minority" students get a special break on acceptances?

My PCAT (overall) is under 30% and I only got 40% on science sections, but I was called in for an interview.

The word is out that if you are Indian, they will accept you, no matter what your scores.

The memo I got said that for 2011 only native Anarticans will receive an instant approval no matter what. You might be referring to the older 2010 memo.

Last edited:
Congratulation! I wonder if you were the one I talked to after the interview in the parking lot?

THANKS!! Yes.. I talked to a guy from Texas and a current student for a long time. Are you that guy?

Members don't see this ad :)
The memo I got said that for 2011 only native Anarticans will receive an instant approval no matter what. You might be referring to the older 2010 memo.

It makes no sense to me why anyone would just be admitted because they are a certain race. Could someone who attends this school please chime in on this please.

It makes no sense to me why anyone would just be admitted because they are a certain race. Could someone who attends this school please chime in on this please.

I was joking about Anarticans but I can't be certain that Winvian was or wasn't being serious.

I can't speak for Winvian's self-assessment of qualification, but the numbers suggest that many people get called for interviews. What I can say is that the Indian students in my class are, in my experience, hardworking and knowledgeable. In other words, good students.

I can't speak for Winvian's self-assessment of qualification, but the numbers suggest that many people get called for interviews. What I can say is that the Indian students in my class are, in my experience, hardworking and knowledgeable. In other words, good students.

Any experience with students from Sri Lanka? I had an orgchem instructor from Sri Lanka raised in England. He was the most amazing instructor I ever had.

THANKS!! Yes.. I talked to a guy from Texas and a current student for a long time. Are you that guy?

Hehe yes I'm so glad you made it in and good that your 4 hours drive was worth it. Much congratulation and with any luck hopefully we can be classmate. 🙏

Any experience with students from Sri Lanka? I had an orgchem instructor from Sri Lanka raised in England. He was the most amazing instructor I ever had.

Not at Roseman (not sure if anybody is from Sri Lanka), but I worked in a lab during undergrad with a grad student from Sri Lanka. Pretty cool guy, very helpful.

Considering that Roseman sends out 600 interviews to a pool of 800-900 (not sure of the exact number) applicants, it seems that anyone who has at least one strong spot (GPA, PCAT, LOR, pharmacy experience, etc.) would get an invite.

I sent in my application on November 30 but I havent gotten back any response yet other than an email to say that they've received my application. Should I be worried that I haven't gotten an invite for an interview yet? How long was it until you guys got an interview invite after youve sent in your application?

I submitted a week before you, i still have nothing :( I'm sad.

I sent in my application on November 30 but I havent gotten back any response yet other than an email to say that they've received my application. Should I be worried that I haven't gotten an invite for an interview yet? How long was it until you guys got an interview invite after youve sent in your application?

Hehe yes I'm so glad you made it in and good that your 4 hours drive was worth it. Much congratulation and with any luck hopefully we can be classmate. 🙏

I wish that you'll make it in as well. There is still a big chance that you'll get in. Keep me updated! ;) I was actually very surprised I got the call.. considering it's so early in the interview process. I'll PM you my email. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What percentage of Roseman Rx students are minority students (i.e. not white skin color) ?

I've heard that in the interests of "diversity," minority students and international students get special consideration for admission (despite poor test scores, etc.).

If they make you fly from India for an interview, would they "dare" reject you, unless you really blow your interview?

What percentage of Roseman Rx students are minority students (i.e. not white skin color) ?

I've heard that in the interests of "diversity," minority students and international students get special consideration for admission (despite poor test scores, etc.).

If they make you fly from India for an interview, would they "dare" reject you, unless you really blow your interview?

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at, but I am pretty sure that international students are not given special consideration. There are usually international students in US institutions of higher education as far as I've seen. From looking at my class, I doubt that the ratio is skewed at all, so there is no evidence to suggest that there is such a bias in admissions. Finally, you focus on PCAT, but you have not addressed other factors that are important in the interview selection process, such as GPA, experience, essays, etc. Unless extremely low, PCAT scores alone generally do not make or break an application.

I submitted a week before you, i still have nothing :( I'm sad.

Have either of you called to see if there was a transcript missing or perhaps they did not receive your PCAT score? I know for a fact I received an email stating they received my application even though it was incomplete.

I have not yet called, at what point should I call? I kind of feel like it's still early, but not sure.

Have either of you called to see if there was a transcript missing or perhaps they did not receive your PCAT score? I know for a fact I received an email stating they received my application even though it was incomplete.

It might be a little early but it never hurts to stay on top of it. You could try sending an email, that actually might be better as they respond within a day or two. Good thing is the website states they have interviews clear until April.

I wanted to know what campus would be best to interview at. I have received an interview invitation and live in texas and neither campus is close. Which campus would you advise, i have not made a choice of which campus i would prefer to attend either. Any ideas (statistics) would be appreciated.

I wanted to know what campus would be best to interview at. I have received an interview invitation and live in texas and neither campus is close. Which campus would you advise, i have not made a choice of which campus i would prefer to attend either. Any ideas (statistics) would be appreciated.

I don't think interviewing at one campus over the other really matters. You will still get asked the same type of questions and you will still get plenty of exposure to how the school works and what life as a pharmacy student is like. If you are accustomed to warmer weather then Henderson is probably the place for you as it can get quite cold in Utah.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been any statistics released saying which campus performs better, although I'm sure that they exist. From what little feedback I have heard about the Henderson students is that overall their scores do tend to be a little lower and I have heard that more students have Monday reassessment (anyone at Henderson campus, feel free to confirm or deny this; you know how the rumor mill can get).

I have a few theories as to why this might be true (again, anyone in Henderson feel free to confirm or deny as this is my own hypothesis).
1. Henderson campus has more students (about 100:150 SoJo:Henderson)
2. Faculty at each campus is, for the most part, different (there are a few that travel back and forth) so students at each campus aren't always getting the material from the same people.
3. Cost of living is higher in Henderson so more students may need to work taking away from their valuable study time.
4. Weather is better in Henderson and there is a lot more to do around campus so it may be easier to get distracted from studying. When it gets really cold in Utah, all you want to do is stay inside making it easier to study.

All in all, as long as you dedicate yourself to your studying you will do just fine regardless of which campus you attend. Just pick what environment suites you the best and will increase your chances of success. Both campuses produce very competent pharmacists and overall numbers school-wide are very impressive. Class of 2011 had a 99% passing rate on the NAPLEX (4% above the national average) and one of the top scores in the nation came from a student at the Henderson campus.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, there hasn't been any statistics released saying which campus performs better, although I'm sure that they exist. From what little feedback I have heard about the Henderson students is that overall their scores do tend to be a little lower and I have heard that more students have Monday reassessment (anyone at Henderson campus, feel free to confirm or deny this; you know how the rumor mill can get).

I take great exception to this.

Having said that, I can't speak at all for Mondays (thankfully), but I would be able to (and would love to) compare means/medians so far, with the caveat that we get different subjects at different times (i.e. need to try to correlate scores by subjects, not by calendar date).

Also, speaking generally about the campus, I would tend to agree that the major differences are probably location and climate. Similarly, not aware of any comparisons that have been made between single-campus professors (the few that there are). By the way, don't know how the parking situation is in Utah, but we just got a new parking lot last month that solves all assessment day and being-late-to-class issues.

I take great exception to this.

Having said that, I can't speak at all for Mondays (thankfully), but I would be able to (and would love to) compare means/medians so far, with the caveat that we get different subjects at different times (i.e. need to try to correlate scores by subjects, not by calendar date).

Also, speaking generally about the campus, I would tend to agree that the major differences are probably location and climate. Similarly, not aware of any comparisons that have been made between single-campus professors (the few that there are). By the way, don't know how the parking situation is in Utah, but we just got a new parking lot last month that solves all assessment day and being-late-to-class issues.

Like I said, it's all hearsay so I could be way off base (I recently heard about the cardiology block and the toll it took on the Henderson P2 students). I am certainly in no position to say which campus is "better". Anyway, the end goal is the same; to pass the NAPLEX. Based on the numbers as a whole, we all do very well.

Parking at Utah campus isn't bad at all right now. I can definitely see it being a problem in near future though as the dental program will be growing (currently there is only one dental class).

1) From the stats I've gleaned from the Web sites, about 30% of students seem to drop out before the three-year graduation.

Why do they drop out and at what point?

Is the fact that Roseman accepts so many marginal students the reason? Or are there other reasons?

2) Roseman doesn't show up on the usual college Web sites (under old or new name).

Why hasn't it shared important statistics with collegeboard.com?

Why isn't it on studentsreview.com?

3) If a lot of students have to make up work during the summer (thus making it difficult to do an MBA then), is there an extra tuition charge for this summer work?

4) Where is the proof that Roseman grads (which is only 2/3 of the admitted class) pass the NAPLEX? Has anyone seen proof, or is it just hear-say?

1) From the stats I've gleaned from the Web sites, about 30% of students seem to drop out before the three-year graduation.

Is the fact that Roseman accepts so many marginal students the reason? Or are there other reasons?

2) Roseman doesn't show up on the usual college Web sites (under old or new name).

3) If a lot of students have to make up work during the summer (thus making it difficult to do an MBA then), is there an extra tuition charge for this summer work?

4) Where is the proof that Roseman grads (which is only 2/3 of the admitted class) pass the NAPLEX? Has anyone seen proof, or is it just hear-say?

Why all the trolling attacks?

1. Students drop out at various points throuh their education and for various reasons. The majority of students who drop out do so within the first few months of their P1 year. Some students get kicked out due to poor academic performance and others drop out voluntarily because they decide they don't want to do pharmacy anymore or they aren't doing very well and withdraw so they don't get kicked out (if you withdraw voluntarily you have the option ot come back the next year but if you get kicked out due to poor performance then you have to go through the whole application process again). I think because Roseman accepts so many students the quality of students they get may be lacking when compared to other programs but it is an accelerated program so it could just be too much for some people to handle (we had one student drop out of Roseman and go to a standard 4-year program because it was too fast of a program). The people who shouldn't be there are weeded out pretty quick though.

2. Very good question. That's would be something to ask them during your interview orientation.

3. There is no additional charge if you have to come back and remediate during the summer. However, if you don't pass summer and you have to sit out a year to redo certain blocks, then you do have to pay a prorated fee (I'm not sure what how much it is).

4. What proof are you wanting? They email us out the stats every year. Other than them sending an actual copy of the scores, that's all they can do. I believe that 99% of the 2011 graduating class really did pass the NAPLEX but I think that number can be a little misleading. Only the top students even make it to graduation. I would be interested to see what that percentage looks like using the original number of students that were admitted to the class of 2011. I'm sure that Roseman isn't the only pharmacy school that pads their numbers to make them look better. All I can say is that if you make it to graduation then you know your stuff! I don't know where you are getting only 2/3 of admitted class graduates because that seems a little high based on numbers I got from previous graduating classes. It's more like 10-20% of admitted class doesn't make it.

1) People do leave the program. It has been stated that this is mostly for personal reasons, and the one person from our class who has left so far did it for personal reasons. People don't fulfill all these prereqs, do interviews, matriculate, and take out student loans just to give up. If they do get removed for academic performance, then tough going.

In any event, I fail to see how the number as high as 30%. Combined class numbers for the two campuses have grown. Are you accounting for that, are you mismatching classes, or is your raw data even valid?

2) You do not know what you are talking about. College Board is for undergraduate programs, and that other site that I've never heard of is also mainly for undergrad. Let's try to look up UCSF, which is regarded as a top graduate / professional / medical institution. Oh look, UCSF is not on College Board, and it is barely reviewed on that other site.

3) "If a lot of students have to make up work" - nice phrasing. I don't see how this is relevant to the rest of the question.

4) http://www.nabp.net/programs/assets/NAPLEXpassrates.pdf - not updated for 2011, but there is no reason for administrators to lie about results

Any way to find out what percentage of those who pass the NAPLEX get jobs (as a pharmacist) within 6 months or a year?

Any way to find out what percentage of those who pass the NAPLEX get jobs (as a pharmacist) within 6 months or a year?

Considering that the only school I've seen do that was Purdue in 2009 I don't see why you're trying to single out this school.

All reports I've read are saying experienced pharmacists are having difficulty keeping and finding pharmacy jobs. New efficiencies, cost-cutting, pharmacists not wanting to retire, mail order, closure of small retail pharmacies, etc. have reduced demand. And there are too many Rx students pouring out of schools.

$150,000 of tuition and few jobs available?

All reports I've read are saying experienced pharmacists are having difficulty keeping and finding pharmacy jobs. New efficiencies, cost-cutting, pharmacists not wanting to retire, mail order, closure of small retail pharmacies, etc. have reduced demand. And there are too many Rx students pouring out of schools.

$150,000 of tuition and few jobs available?

I paid more than that and am doing just fine, what's that got to do with this school?

For any current students that might look at this thread, what would you say are the strengths and weaknesses of the school? I'm narrowing this and both midwestern schools as my top choice.

Strengths: the school is non-competitive so people are really helpful about sharing notes, advice, etc. I hated making my Top 200 drug charts because it was a lot of work. Turns out I didn't have to because people were willing to share.

Block system is on a regular schedule so you rarely have the extra stress of multiple exams all at once like you would during finals week at another school.

Weaknesses: and this is a big one, the school has no GPA. This makes you less competitive when applying for residencies and getting a residency just keeps getting harder each year. If you know for sure you don't want a residency then this is not a problem.

The block system lends itself to a cram and dump style of learning. You learn material for the exam and then you forget most of it before you know it. There are topics I could tell you nothing about even though I passed the exams easily.

Bottom line: if you think you might want to do a residency and you think that you can get a decent GPA, then choose Midwestern. If you want to do a residency and you suspect that you might have a lower GPA then you can hide that in a school like ours and make yourself competitive in other ways. If you are sure you don't want a residency, look at other things to make your choice.

It's just another troll.

Troll or not, you guys should be looking hard at whether or not jobs are going to be available when you graduate. My classmates are taking jobs in places where nobody wants to live. Lots of us don't have jobs lined up even to those places. If that is what is available in 2012, what is it going to be like in 2015 after even more new schools open up? Maybe it will all work out or maybe it won't but you should go into it with your eyes wide open.

Troll or not, you guys should be looking hard at whether or not jobs are going to be available when you graduate. My classmates are taking jobs in places where nobody wants to live. Lots of us don't have jobs lined up even to those places. If that is what is available in 2012, what is it going to be like in 2015 after even more new schools open up? Maybe it will all work out or maybe it won't but you should go into it with your eyes wide open.

Where are the places where no one wants to live?

Strengths: the school is non-competitive so people are really helpful about sharing notes, advice, etc. I hated making my Top 200 drug charts because it was a lot of work. Turns out I didn't have to because people were willing to share.

Block system is on a regular schedule so you rarely have the extra stress of multiple exams all at once like you would during finals week at another school.

Weaknesses: and this is a big one, the school has no GPA. This makes you less competitive when applying for residencies and getting a residency just keeps getting harder each year. If you know for sure you don't want a residency then this is not a problem.

The block system lends itself to a cram and dump style of learning. You learn material for the exam and then you forget most of it before you know it. There are topics I could tell you nothing about even though I passed the exams easily.

Bottom line: if you think you might want to do a residency and you think that you can get a decent GPA, then choose Midwestern. If you want to do a residency and you suspect that you might have a lower GPA then you can hide that in a school like ours and make yourself competitive in other ways. If you are sure you don't want a residency, look at other things to make your choice.

I agree with most of this. I don't think it's getting harder each year for Roseman graduates to get a residency at all. While not having an official GPA can be bad if you want to a residency, there are definitely ways around that. The school has a system in place where, if requested, they can tell the residency program about where you would stand IF they had a class ranking/GPA (i.e. top 10%, etc.). Like previously mentioned, you still need to be strong in other areas on your residency application.

When residency programs see a pass/fail system, I don't think they are initially impressed because they don't know about Roseman's program that well. In most pass/fail systems you only have to be at 70% but at Roseman you have to be at least 90%. Residency programs are starting to recognize that distinction. Anyone who graduates from Roseman is at least a A- student.

I love the block system! It is true that you forget a lot of the information after you take a test, however, I feel like the important concepts brought up in multiple blocks and you get a lot repetition. It would be silly for any pharmacy program to expect you to remember everything you were taught in lecture but at least they give you the tools to be able to find the answers quickly. You don't have to know all the answers, you just have to know where to find the answers. I've got a laundry list of guidelines that we have used so far and I refer to them often.

Where are the places where no one wants to live?

Southeast Texas :)

Really though, small rural areas usually. There are plenty of jobs out there you just have to be willing to move around and take what you can get until a job opens up where you want to be. That's how it has always been.

Southeast Texas :)

Really though, small rural areas usually. There are plenty of jobs out there you just have to be willing to move around and take what you can get until a job opens up where you want to be. That's how it has always been.

I have not been there, but Southeast Texas would be fine with me.

I'm already going in with my eyes open. I don't need another person to tell me the obvious. I know about the job situation and quite personally I don't care this is what I want to do. People act like other job fields are just booming right now. I've never thought I was going to be able to practice where I wanted and quite honestly I don't care where I practice, in the end a job is a job. Maybe you shouldn't assume that my telling somebody to stop trolling means I don't know how the job market is.

Last edited:
Are any of your classmates having trouble finding jobs in CA?

Pretty sure most people would have trouble finding jobs in CA, which is why I don't understand so many people wanting to go back to CA. Pretty sure with the amount of schools they are over saturated and the amount of people who go out of state to just go back.

I have not been there, but Southeast Texas would be fine with me.

I only said SE Texas because earlier this year I saw that CVS was trying to hire someone and was willing to pay them 130K/year to go work down there. I took that as they desperately needed someone down there. I have never been there either so I'm not sure why they had a hard time finding someone.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a job that is somewhat rural.

Having grown up in rural AR, I don't mind being in rural areas. I grew up 12 miles outside of 18000 people. My HS class was 17 people. When I was looking for jobs after residency fell through, I only looked in rural CA. Now I've got a float job with Wags, a per diem job at a local hospital, someone was saying Target had an opening and word on the street is the VA will be expanding up here opening another spot. I think it'll be okay here for at least one more year anyway. :shrug:

Having grown up in rural AR, I don't mind being in rural areas. I grew up 12 miles outside of 18000 people. My HS class was 17 people. When I was looking for jobs after residency fell through, I only looked in rural CA. Now I've got a float job with Wags, a per diem job at a local hospital, someone was saying Target had an opening and word on the street is the VA will be expanding up here opening another spot. I think it'll be okay here for at least one more year anyway. :shrug:
Thanks for the reality check on jobs. I know three pharmacy grads who have been working as pharmacy techs for two years now.

Note that the requirement for many job openings is now Spanish, Vietnamese, Cambodian, etc. fluency -- depending on the area.

Pretty sure most people would have trouble finding jobs in CA, which is why I don't understand so many people wanting to go back to CA. Pretty sure with the amount of schools they are over saturated and the amount of people who go out of state to just go back.

Job market is really bad in Southern CA. And what's worst is that there is another new school opening up in Long Beach, putting its' first 50 new grads in 2015.

I just don't understand why ACPE and AACP keeps approving new schools regardless of tough job situations for pharmacists. They always say there is is a hugh demand in the future, really? I doubt at this point.

It's really horrible for new gards with almost $200,000 student loan balance, but barely to find a decent job to cover both ends.

No More Pharmacist Shortage

The glut is already here!! The recruiter for the [EMPLOYER NAME WITHHELD] Poison Center tells me that 6 months ago a posting for a pharmacist position would generate 3 to 4 applicants. Now he gets 120 to 130 applicants.

Schools continue to open, and class sizes are continually increased. Schools generate revenue by making PharmDs. There is no incentive for schools to consider their students’ employment prospects. A recruiter tells me that all major metropolitan areas are totally saturated for retail and hospital pharmacists.
—Guest EyesNowOpen

No More Pharmacist Shortage

The glut is already here!! The recruiter for the [EMPLOYER NAME WITHHELD] Poison Center tells me that 6 months ago a posting for a pharmacist position would generate 3 to 4 applicants. Now he gets 120 to 130 applicants.

Schools continue to open, and class sizes are continually increased. Schools generate revenue by making PharmDs. There is no incentive for schools to consider their students’ employment prospects. A recruiter tells me that all major metropolitan areas are totally saturated for retail and hospital pharmacists.
—Guest EyesNowOpen

You're right. You probably should choose another career to pursue....