Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow. My first acceptance of this cycle!!!! ( deferred acceptance if I don't get off the hold list but I'm happy). After so many waitlists and rejections I can finally say that I will be a medical student. Truly grateful to have this opportunity. Wish everyone good luck.

Did you get accepted today? How were you notified? Congrats :)

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. My first acceptance of this cycle!!!! ( deferred acceptance if I don't get off the hold list but I'm happy). After so many waitlists and rejections I can finally say that I will be a medical student. Truly grateful to have this opportunity. Wish everyone good luck.

Congrats!!!!

Did Dean Watkins give you any more info on what she thinks about movement on the hold list will be like this cycle?

Withdrew my OOS acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you lovely folks! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!!!

Did Dean Watkins give you any more info on what she thinks about movement on the hold list will be like this cycle?

In the letter she said quote on quote "Based on prior years, we still anticipate there will be withdrawals and we expect that you will be able to get a seat in our class entering 2016."

Reactions: 1 user
In the letter she said quote on quote "Based on prior years, we still anticipate there will be withdrawals and we expect that you will be able to get a seat in our class entering 2016."

Fingers crossed!! Congrats again!

It's quiet here. Too quiet....

Reactions: 7 users
I called April this morning and she said no movement on the hold list :(:dead:

Hang tight everyone! People have been accepted all the way through orientation and even up till the day before classes start.

Keep the faith!

-StaystrongDO

Reactions: 2 users
I called April this morning and she said no movement on the hold list :(:dead:

Really? There are at least two people who withdrew from SDN alone...that is weird

Members don't see this ad :)
Will they tell you your rank if you call? Has anyone tried that?

Will they tell you your rank if you call? Has anyone tried that?

When I called back in the beginning of April, I spoke with Dean Watkins, who said the waitlist would be ranked in May, and if I called back then, they would let me know what my rank was. However I called last Monday and asked April about my rank, and she just said there has been no movement. I really didn't get much of an answer to where I stood on the waitlist:sorry:.

Fairly sure that the hold list is ranked by other factors than date. Also, it is possible to call and get your rank.

Hi everyone. I just finished my first year and was accepted off the wait list last year about 5 days before white coat. I believe one other person was accepted after me.

For your information, I was in the top 20% of the wait list (NOT the hold list) when they "ranked" the list in May. I don't know very much about the admissions process beyond what happened to me. I think I called every 1-2 weeks after I initially found out where I ranked on the list, and by mid-July I was told that there were 4 people in front of me on the wait list. When I got accepted, Paula Watkins called me and gave me the news.

I know this is a really stressful time for many of you who are hoping to get accepted. I was on edge for pretty much all of last summer, because RowanSOM was my top choice. Looking back, I wish I forced myself to be less anxious about the situation. There is little point in agonizing over the scores of people who were accepted versus your scores (even though I absolutely did that) because from what I've seen, people's scores and backgrounds are pretty much all over the place.

Small bits of advice/words of comfort (if you want it!):
1. If you get accepted very close to the start of term, you will find a place to live. If you're worried about getting accepted last minute and then being homeless...this won't happen to you. I ended up living in a hotel for the first week (orientation week) and then moved into my apartment, and this was only because I was picky about where I wanted to live. It was hectic but I made it work.
2. If you're high on the wait list in July, consider looking into housing even if you haven't been accepted yet. I went down to Stratford/Voorhees before I was accepted just to check some places out. Just helps make the transition smoother, but of course if you aren't in the position to check the area out, you could always just ask around and call up some leasing offices and explain your situation.
3. Since I was accepted last-minute, I obviously missed the opportunity to enroll in the pre-matric program. I was really distressed about that because I felt like I missed a chance to "get ahead." It wasn't worth the anxiety. I think people who were in the program enjoyed it, but I got the impression that it wasn't really a "head start" and that the playing field is pretty much even for everyone once you start school.
4. Don't assume that just because you were on the wait list, that you will struggle academically. I don't think this is the case at all. Your status on the waitlist is not a good predictor of your academic success. How well you do in medical school is about your focus and hard work in the moment.
5. If you end up not getting into RowanSOM and end up going elsewhere...don't agonize over it. RowanSOM is a great place to go to school, but I could say the same for pretty much every other school I applied to. Every institution has good and bad things about it. RowanSOM is wonderful but it's not perfect. In the end, all that matters is what you learned.
6. If you end up not getting accepted to medical school this year, remember that if you were on a waitlist, that means a school would have loved to have you as a student. Unfortunately, a lot of medical school acceptances are about chance. There is no perfect formula. I know that's annoying to hear when you're anxiously awaiting news on your waitlist status, but it's important to not take the fact that you were waitlisted as a judgement on who you are as a person, or as a predictor of what kind of doctor you would be.

I'll be away for most of the summer but if you have any questions over the next few days, I'll be sure to check back and answer them.

Hi everyone. I just finished my first year and was accepted off the wait list last year about 5 days before white coat. I believe one other person was accepted after me.

For your information, I was in the top 20% of the wait list (NOT the hold list) when they "ranked" the list in May. I don't know very much about the admissions process beyond what happened to me. I think I called every 1-2 weeks after I initially found out where I ranked on the list, and by mid-July I was told that there were 4 people in front of me on the wait list. When I got accepted, Paula Watkins called me and gave me the news.

I know this is a really stressful time for many of you who are hoping to get accepted. I was on edge for pretty much all of last summer, because RowanSOM was my top choice. Looking back, I wish I forced myself to be less anxious about the situation. There is little point in agonizing over the scores of people who were accepted versus your scores (even though I absolutely did that) because from what I've seen, people's scores and backgrounds are pretty much all over the place.

Small bits of advice/words of comfort (if you want it!):
1. If you get accepted very close to the start of term, you will find a place to live. If you're worried about getting accepted last minute and then being homeless...this won't happen to you. I ended up living in a hotel for the first week (orientation week) and then moved into my apartment, and this was only because I was picky about where I wanted to live. It was hectic but I made it work.
2. If you're high on the wait list in July, consider looking into housing even if you haven't been accepted yet. I went down to Stratford/Voorhees before I was accepted just to check some places out. Just helps make the transition smoother, but of course if you aren't in the position to check the area out, you could always just ask around and call up some leasing offices and explain your situation.
3. Since I was accepted last-minute, I obviously missed the opportunity to enroll in the pre-matric program. I was really distressed about that because I felt like I missed a chance to "get ahead." It wasn't worth the anxiety. I think people who were in the program enjoyed it, but I got the impression that it wasn't really a "head start" and that the playing field is pretty much even for everyone once you start school.
4. Don't assume that just because you were on the wait list, that you will struggle academically. I don't think this is the case at all. Your status on the waitlist is not a good predictor of your academic success. How well you do in medical school is about your focus and hard work in the moment.
5. If you end up not getting into RowanSOM and end up going elsewhere...don't agonize over it. RowanSOM is a great place to go to school, but I could say the same for pretty much every other school I applied to. Every institution has good and bad things about it. RowanSOM is wonderful but it's not perfect. In the end, all that matters is what you learned.
6. If you end up not getting accepted to medical school this year, remember that if you were on a waitlist, that means a school would have loved to have you as a student. Unfortunately, a lot of medical school acceptances are about chance. There is no perfect formula. I know that's annoying to hear when you're anxiously awaiting news on your waitlist status, but it's important to not take the fact that you were waitlisted as a judgement on who you are as a person, or as a predictor of what kind of doctor you would be.

I'll be away for most of the summer but if you have any questions over the next few days, I'll be sure to check back and answer them.

i have a friend who is starting in august. he is taking prematriculation program. you mentioned that it wasn't real beneficial from what you heard. any suggestions of what else he can do to get an edge as an incoming ms1? how was your first year? can you give me a brief critique of pluses and minuses at rowan so i can pass on to my friend. also any suggestions regarding do's and don'ts to maximize his experience as incoming ms 1 at rowan? thanks so much!

i have a friend who is starting in august. he is taking prematriculation program. you mentioned that it wasn't real beneficial from what you heard. any suggestions of what else he can do to get an edge as an incoming ms1? how was your first year? can you give me a brief critique of pluses and minuses at rowan so i can pass on to my friend. also any suggestions regarding do's and don'ts to maximize his experience as incoming ms 1 at rowan? thanks so much!
I also just finished OMSI, will PM you shortly for my own perspective.

On a personal note: I did pre-matric and found it highly beneficial. However, I believe no one was at a DISADVANTAGE at the beginning of the year if they didn't do pre-matric. Do what you want this summer and whatever you think would be benefit you personally. There are some times when I do wish I took the summer off instead, but honestly, I enjoyed pre-matric and thought it helped me have a smooth transition into life at RowanSOM

Last edited:

I didn't mean to say that the pre-matriculation program wasn't really beneficial; I just wanted to provide comfort for anyone who REALLY wanted to do the program but didn't get the chance (that was the case with me...I really wanted to do the program but got accepted after the program already ended!). Anyone I know who has done the program enjoyed it. I just wanted to be clear that you won't be at a disadvantage if you didn't do the pre-matric program. And if I had the chance to go back and do the pre-matric program, I would absolutely do it!

As for what you could do to get an edge before starting school...I would relax, enjoy life, and spend time with family/friends. This is just my opinion, but I don't think there is a lot of value in "pre-studying" for medical school (unless we're talking about the pre-matric program, because that is designed by RowanSOM). I think a lot of succeeding academically in medical school is understanding how a certain class works, and what kind of information a professor expects you to understand, and studying in a way that works for YOU to retain and understand the material. I did nothing but relax in the 2 months prior to medical school starting, and I think that was the right choice for me.

How was my first year? It was pretty great! I am extremely happy and grateful to be a RowanSOM student. I was nervous that my entire life outside of school would fall apart once I started, but that wasn't the case. People kind of perpetuate this idea of medical school that every student is sleep-deprived, addicted to caffeine, spends 20hrs/week in the anatomy lab and is extremely unhappy. This wasn't the case for me at all (I don't even drink coffee!). Yes, exam weeks can be rough and you might get less sleep than you'd like. But I truly feel like if you just use the materials that professors give you (meaning their lecture notes and practice questions), study efficiently, and are honest with yourself about what you do and don't understand, you will do just fine.

When I said that there are good and bad things about RowanSOM, I meant to provide comfort to anyone out there who thinks that it's the end of the world if they don't get accepted. I think RowanSOM is a GREAT place to go to medical school, and I'm very happy to be a student there. However, I could EASILY have not been accepted and I would have gone to another school. I think for people who are waiting to hear back, it's important to keep it in perspective that there is no school on this planet that is perfect. You can be happy at any school you go to.

Do:
1. Take everyone's advice (including mine!!) with a grain of salt. Everyone's experience is different. Nobody can give you the secret formula to succeeding in medical school. By all means, ask for advice from as many people as you can! I certainly benefited from the advice of 2nd years. But I didn't take every piece of advice I got.
2. Be nice to all of your fellow students. You have to remember that once you start medical school, you're starting your professional career. You never know what someone's background is or what kind of difficulties they're facing, so you might as well just be positive and kind to everyone. You'll never regret it.
3. Approach every class with the mentality that you're fully capable of doing well. I was extremely nervous about anatomy because of all the horror stories you hear about it and just kind of assumed that I wouldn't do particularly well in it. It ended up being the class I performed best in, and in retrospect, it probably required more time and energy than any other class. But if I didn't work as hard, I probably would have done poorly. Regarding histology, for some reason I can't remember, I thought it was going to be a nightmare and I would hate it. But I ended up really liking it and doing well after a rocky start with the first exam. So don't let your first impression of a course, or what other people tell you about it, convince you that you won't succeed.

Don't:
1. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing. I wasted a lot of time in the beginning of the year worrying about what everyone was doing, how they were studying, whether or not someone went to class and whether it was good or bad that I didn't go to class sometimes, etc. One nice thing about medical school is that you can do things according to your own schedule. If you make your own study plan and stick to it, you'll be fine. I realized that by the 2nd block of exams.
2. Don't get bogged down with using a million external resources for all your classes. There are so many review books and practice questions available, and they can be overwhelming. Every professor gives you all the information you need in lecture. I've only turned to an external resource when I didn't understand a term or concept and needed clarification. But I NEVER sat down and read the textbook for any class. With the exception of biochemistry, I wouldn't recommend using any external resources for practice questions. HOWEVER, I'm sure some of my fellow students would wholeheartedly disagree with me. So ask multiple students about this.
3. Don't worry about what grades other people are getting. I think everyone would be better off if they only cared about their own grades.
4. Don't boast if you do well on a test, or try to let people know you did well in a not-so-subtle way. Doing so will probably just make other people feel bad about themselves if they happened to not do well. Of course, help people out if they ask you for it, or offer suggestions if you think you can help someone who is really struggling, but be mindful of what kind of impression you're making or how you're making other people feel.

Any updates? :shrug:

Nothing here. I'm starting to get super nervous even though the current students are saying not to worry! But... what if this is the year they don't make it through the whole hold list...... !?

Nothing here. I'm starting to get super nervous even though the current students are saying not to worry! But... what if this is the year they don't make it through the whole hold list...... !?

You will get off the hold list. Even if for some never before seen reason in umdnj/rowansom history that you don't get pulled, guess what your worst case scenario is?!

A guaranteed seat for a fall 2017 start

I'm on the waitlist so I'm even more anxious...

You will get off the hold list. Even if for some never before seen reason in umdnj/rowansom history that you don't get pulled, guess what your worst case scenario is?!

A guaranteed seat for a fall 2017 start

Well, we don't know how their hold list works and what statistics it's based off of. Yes in the past everyone has gotten in, but there are scenarios where that may not happen this year. E.g. Accepted people decide to attend = no empty seats = no hold list movement.

I'm not complaining, since this is just how the application process is structured. And I do think the same as you, that the whole hold list will get in. That being said, I'm still preparing to attend a different school if the hold list thing doesn't work out. Yes, I would love to attend Rowan, and it's my top choice. But to wait 1 year vs. starting now? I know I'd rather start now, even at a school I don't love as much. That's 1 more year of physician salary. And there's only so much a pre-med can do during that 1 year of waiting.

I'm rambling, but my main point is that there is no guarantee and alternatives should be planned, whether it's preparing to attend another school or finding something productive for that 1 year gap.

I did check the past thread and saw someone got accepted on 5/22, 6/10, and 7/something. It's gonna be a long wait, but let's keep each other in the loop to ease our crazy anxiety that has been accumulating throughout the application process.
:boom::boom::boom::boom::boom:

Movement on the hold list! Accepted!

Reactions: 9 users
Movement on the hold list! Accepted!

i have a better question:

when was your interview, and what was the date of the thin letter you got that said you were on hold-list,

this way, people can get a better sense of where they are placed on the hold-list.

CONGRATS THO!

Thanks! I interviewed in March and was in the top 20 of the hold list.

Question, did everyone on the hold list get a letter in the mail? Bc when I called that is when I found out.

I got a phone call and a letter a few days later. I want to say my interview was late March?

Well, we don't know how their hold list works and what statistics it's based off of. Yes in the past everyone has gotten in, but there are scenarios where that may not happen this year. E.g. Accepted people decide to attend = no empty seats = no hold list movement.

I'm not complaining, since this is just how the application process is structured. And I do think the same as you, that the whole hold list will get in. That being said, I'm still preparing to attend a different school if the hold list thing doesn't work out. Yes, I would love to attend Rowan, and it's my top choice. But to wait 1 year vs. starting now? I know I'd rather start now, even at a school I don't love as much. That's 1 more year of physician salary. And there's only so much a pre-med can do during that 1 year of waiting.

I'm rambling, but my main point is that there is no guarantee and alternatives should be planned, whether it's preparing to attend another school or finding something productive for that 1 year gap.

I did check the past thread and saw someone got accepted on 5/22, 6/10, and 7/something. It's gonna be a long wait, but let's keep each other in the loop to ease our crazy anxiety that has been accumulating throughout the application process.
:boom::boom::boom::boom::boom:

Keep up the faith everyone! As a previous waitlister, I got in 2 days before whitecoat so anything is possible (rising 4th year now). From what I remember there will be pretty decent movement around July

Reactions: 3 users
Keeping my hopes alive knowing there's been movement! Not too long ago I spoke to Dean Watkins. She spent 15 minutes on the phone with me talking about my application specifically but she also told me there's a lot of movement in July. The fact that Dean Watkins spent that much time talking to me when I am just an applicant all but reconfirms how I feel about this school.

I called in and was told there has been movement every day. :shrug:
Was also told I should call in every few days or so.

I called in and was told there has been movement every day. :shrug:
Was also told I should call in every few days or so.
Saw your message so I decided to call. I was told there has been no movement at this time and that they couldn't tell me where I am on the wait list and not to call back until next week. Very weird though because the person I spoke to seemed very cold which is not the experience I've had with anyone from admissions thus far so I have no idea how to take what was told to me. Especially because in the past they've told me to call at anytime with any questions/check to see where I'm at on the list.

Saw your message so I decided to call. I was told there has been no movement at this time and that they couldn't tell me where I am on the wait list and not to call back until next week. Very weird though because the person I spoke to seemed very cold which is not the experience I've had with anyone from admissions thus far so I have no idea how to take what was told to me. Especially because in the past they've told me to call at anytime with any questions/check to see where I'm at on the list.

I was asking about the hold list so I guess thats where the discrepency comes from. As far as the person you talked to, I think I know who you're talking about. I called a couple weeks ago and was dryly told that they werent giving out information on the hold list yet, which they had been for a few months at that point. In any case, calling back in a few days/a week seems to be the de facto way of handling the wait at this point.

I was asking about the hold list so I guess thats where the discrepency comes from. As far as the person you talked to, I think I know who you're talking about. I called a couple weeks ago and was dryly told that they werent giving out information on the hold list yet, which they had been for a few months at that point. In any case, calling back in a few days/a week seems to be the de facto way of handling the wait at this point.
I'd agree but I never specified a list. I just asked if there was any movement and was told "No." And then I asked if I could find out where I stood and was told "No not at this time." And so i asked when I could call back and she responded with "Next week." Like you said it was very dry and just cold...nothing like anyone I've talked to before so I don't know. Again it was just weird because in speaking with others from admissions and Dean Watkins specifically, they've always been adamant that I could call at any time to ask about this stuff. And when I have called, they've been very good with giving me updates about what was going on. Very very friendly any other time I've called so again I don't know. In any case I'll be calling back next week.

I just called today as well and was told there is no movement and no information is being given out for the hold list status :(

I just called the office and April said there's been movement every day! I'm not sure why we're all getting mixed responses from the office but I would guess it's because we're getting different people when we call?

Either way, fingers crossed we'll all hear back soon!!!

Rea
I just called the office and April said there's been movement every day! I'm not sure why we're all getting mixed responses from the office but I would guess it's because we're getting different people when we call?

Either way, fingers crossed we'll all hear back soon!!!

Really? I mean that's a great news ! But it is odd that people are getting mixed responses.

I guess hold list is huge...

Rea

Really? I mean that's a great news ! But it is odd that people are getting mixed responses.

I guess hold list is huge...

Right?! Does anyone know if they'll tell us how many people are on the list? I wish we could just get a straightforward answer re: the number of people in front of us on the hold list.