Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received the coveted Rowan II :)

@LuluMed ...What ultimately led you to decide to abandon CUSOM (with a scholarship) in favor of Rowan? Was it purely the preference to stay instate?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Got an II today! (Via both phone and email). I'm out of state (PA resident), 3.76, 29 in case anyone wonders! I forget when I submitted my secondary...late July I think.

Got an II today! (Via both phone and email). I'm out of state (PA resident), 3.76, 29 in case anyone wonders! I forget when I submitted my secondary...late July I think.
Submitted sround the same time, 3.65 gpa 512 new mcat IS why do they hate me lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the coveted Rowan II :)

@LuluMed ...What ultimately led you to decide to abandon CUSOM (with a scholarship) in favor of Rowan? Was it purely the preference to stay instate?
I'll PM you about this - it's been a busy day & am studying at the moment, so give me a chance to get back to you tomorrow.
If anyone else has any questions along this line - please just PM me :)
I was accepted to several other schools - so I can give insight into my own reasons for choosing RowanSOM

Just remember, ultimately - the school you decide to go to is a highly personal decision. You will be able to be a great doctor no matter where you go as long as you put in the work!! Don't let other peoples' biases and opinions sway you.

i just submitted secondary, but under "status check up" i am still incomplete under LOR.... but I have submitted everything. anyone else have same troubleshoot?

i just submitted secondary, but under "status check up" i am still incomplete under LOR.... but I have submitted everything. anyone else have same troubleshoot?
I had the same issue back in August. I sent them an email saying it was listing my LORs as incomplete on the portal but when I clicked on the link it showed they had received my LORs. They emailed me back after the weekend and said that I was indeed complete and was under review. My LORs were then checked off.

Congratulations! How long after your interview did they get back to you on the decision?
Thanks! And it took me a couple weeks. I remember seeing on the aacomas website somewhere that rowan would start releasing their decisions for RD applicants sept 18th.

ACCEPTED!!! Whew!
Congrats and welcome to the RowanSOM fam! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me or any of the other students on here (as well as admissions) - all are always happy to help :)

Loved my experience interviewing here today! Really hoping to hear good news in a few weeks! I got a good gut feeling when I was there :)

Reactions: 5 users
Does anybody here think that applying mid-October to RowanSOM is an (incredibly) bad idea? I won't have my MCAT score until October 2016 and am trying to determine if I need to take a gap year is not.

Does anybody here think that applying mid-October to RowanSOM is an (incredibly) bad idea? I won't have my MCAT score until October 2016 and am trying to determine if I need to take a gap year is not.
I didn't complete my application until about Nov 1st last year. Was still interviewed and accepted before Christmas! Don't necessarily expect to hear back THAT quick. They had some funky things going on last year with switching to electronic secondaries. But you should still have a shot!

Members don't see this ad :)
@LuluMed Are you involved in the fit docs program at all? I'm guessing you might be due to the runner in your avi and your username :) I was an exercise science undergrad so it's something I'm interested in!

@LuluMed Are you involved in the fit docs program at all? I'm guessing you might be due to the runner in your avi and your username :) I was an exercise science undergrad so it's something I'm interested in!
I was an exercise science major as well!
I am not personally in fit docs, but am pretty familiar with it. Will send you a PM later today with more details about it & some other fun fitness and sports med stuff

I was an exercise science major as well!
I am not personally in fit docs, but am pretty familiar with it. Will send you a PM later today with more details about it & some other fun fitness and sports med stuff
Thanks very much!!

Congrats! How did they let you know? Interviewing here next week and very excited
Thanks! Congrats on your II as well! They notified me via phone actually. Compared to other schools I've visited so far, Rowan really personalized the whole admissions process which I really appreciated- from the phone call II's to the very small groups of interviewees on interview day to the phone call acceptances. The woman at the front desk in the admissions office even knew me by my first name at the start of interview day which kinda took me by surprise. The admissions staff and faculty here are great.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! Congrats on your II as well! They notified me via phone actually. Compared to other schools I've visited so far, Rowan really personalized the whole admissions process which I really appreciated- from the phone call II's to the very small groups of interviewees on interview day to the phone call acceptances. The woman at the front desk in the admissions office even knew me by my first name at the start of interview day which kinda took me by surprise. The admissions staff and faculty here are great.

The phone call was actually really awesome, was not expecting an II in a voicemail and it got me really excited to interview here!

How much time passed between your interview and your acceptance? Congrats @MrTaco92 !!!

ii!!!!!!!!!! So stoked! Oh mannnnnnnn!!!!! What a dream come true!

Reactions: 4 users
II via email today! I submitted in early July but my app wasn't marked complete until 2 days ago.

Congrats and welcome to the RowanSOM fam! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to me or any of the other students on here (as well as admissions) - all are always happy to help :)

How helpful is Rowan at getting students NJ residency status?

Last edited:
II via email today! I submitted in early July but my app wasn't marked complete until 2 days ago.

How helpful is Rowan at getting students NJ residency status?

You keep the status you enter with, so if you're OOS when you start, you will be all 4 years

Thanks for addressing that. Why cant students change their status?

I noticed on the Tufts website that they have an accreditation visit (http://medicine.tufts.edu/About-Us/Accreditation-2014), and one area that they changed due to concern during their last review was sources of revenue. Honestly, I've never considered that before, but I could see it motivating institutions to accept more OOS students. Obviously they need a balance, since you want quality students and to be able to say "We're helping OUR community with physicians who stay local", and OOS students are probably more likely to leave and thus less relevant to part of their mission. By allowing OOS students, and making them pay more, maybe it provides a small bump in the books similar to Tufts, securing financial feasibility. Curiously, Tufts notes generating more revenue through additional programs while reducing student debt... I wonder if it's just displacing debt onto a different type of student? (Med debt -> Physical therapy/PA debt)

I'd say it's to our benefit they allow OOS students, but I wish I could get IS for that tuition relief, or they had more scholarships! Through these boards I've gotten excited about PCOM and RowanSOM, and sadly NY doesn't have any IS tuition benefits on the DO side... looking up PCOM, the ~80k COA is a dream compared to the others. But Rowan OOS isn't worse than PCOM, and better than the NY brands.

I noticed on the Tufts website that they have an accreditation visit (http://medicine.tufts.edu/About-Us/Accreditation-2014), and one area that they changed due to concern during their last review was sources of revenue. Honestly, I've never considered that before, but I could see it motivating institutions to accept more OOS students. Obviously they need a balance, since you want quality students and to be able to say "We're helping OUR community with physicians who stay local", and OOS students are probably more likely to leave and thus less relevant to part of their mission. By allowing OOS students, and making them pay more, maybe it provides a small bump in the books similar to Tufts, securing financial feasibility. Curiously, Tufts notes generating more revenue through additional programs while reducing student debt... I wonder if it's just displacing debt onto a different type of student? (Med debt -> Physical therapy/PA debt)

I'd say it's to our benefit they allow OOS students, but I wish I could get IS for that tuition relief, or they had more scholarships! Through these boards I've gotten excited about PCOM and RowanSOM, and sadly NY doesn't have any IS tuition benefits on the DO side... looking up PCOM, the ~80k COA is a dream compared to the others. But Rowan OOS isn't worse than PCOM, and better than the NY brands.

Im rethinking the interview now. Its good I didnt book the flight right away. Rowan at 37K/year is a no-brainer but Rowan at 59K/year is a tough sell (I think it's better than CCOM and AZCOM for the money). I also wish Rowan had some kind of IS tuition relief for OOS students. I wouldn't mind signing a contract to practice in NJ for a number of years if it allowed me to pay the IS rate (like OU-COM does for its OOS students).

Im rethinking the interview now. Its good I didnt book the flight right away. Rowan at 37K/year is a no-brainer but Rowan at 59K/year is a tough sell (I think it's better than CCOM and AZCOM for the money). I also wish Rowan had some kind of IS tuition relief for OOS students. I wouldn't mind signing a contract to practice in NJ for a number of years if it allowed me to pay the IS rate (like OU-COM does for its OOS students).

Sadly I'm chasing location more than cost at the moment (SO needs a city for any chance at a job in their field), but... I hear ya...

They are increasing the PBL program this year, so please ask about it during your interview or after an acceptance. Any of us would be glad to answer your questions.

They are increasing the PBL program this year, so please ask about it during your interview or after an acceptance. Any of us would be glad to answer your questions.
I thought this was still pending approval from COCA

There are also some Yes/No questions. If you answer YES, then a box pops up to elaborate/answer another question.

Please identify your area of professional interest below (i.e. Family Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, etc.) (500 word limit)

Have you previously applied to SOM?

Have you previously attended medical school?

Have you met with a SOM admissions representative or attended an event on our campus?

Have you ever participated in a SOM Pre-College Program?

Do you speak any other languages?

Have you shadowed or worked with an Osteopathic Physician?
If yes, will that physician provide you with a letter of recommendation?

Have you participated in significant research projects that have led to publication?
If yes, asks for citations/DOI number.
(Not sure if this means personal publications or publications within the research lab in general -- anyone have an idea??)

Do you have relatives who are currently attending or have graduated from RowanSOM (formerly UMDNJ-SOM)?

it means personal publications

Could someone please tell me how much the secondary fee is for this school? Didn't see it on the website.

Could someone please tell me how much the secondary fee is for this school? Didn't see it on the website.

The secondary fee is $90.

I thought this was still pending approval from COCA

They told us that they might increase PBL slots up to 25 or so. I'm not sure but I don't think that they are increasing the total number of seats. Could that explain not needing COCA approval?

Anyways, interview was super laid back. Really liked this school and it's my #1 for sure. They told us that we will find out in a month. Now for the hardest part- the wait...

There should be a widget that, whenever someone posts "II", it prompts: "Date Complete? LizzyM? State Residence?"

Congrats though! I wouldn't mind one from them...

3.7cgpa, 3.5 sgpa, 31 MCAT, NJ IS, tons of ecs, research, publications.

Last edited:
recently interviewed at rowan som (9/24/15). 3.9 cgpa and 3.9 sgpa. 27 MCAT. Psych major from rutgers camden. Research and shadowing experience. I think interview went reasonably well. Having interviewed this early, what are my chances of receiving an acceptance letter? I made it clear to them that this is my number one school... As it is.

recently interviewed at rowan som (9/24/15). 3.9 cgpa and 3.9 sgpa. 27 MCAT. Psych major from rutgers camden. Research and shadowing experience. I think interview went reasonably well. Having interviewed this early, what are my chances of receiving an acceptance letter? I made it clear to them that this is my number one school... As it is.
probably pretty high. Good stats...IS bias...less competition...early on in cycle..etc

can somebody who has interviewed here speak to what it was like?

and approximately how many of those interviewed will be accepted?

can somebody who has interviewed here speak to what it was like?

and approximately how many of those interviewed will be accepted?

Super laid back interview with either 1 or 2 interviewers. Mine was short, only about 30 minutes with 1 person. It's open file and the questions are largely directed by your own application so know your primary and secondary really well. My application is service/mission oriented so I was asked on that while another person there had a really strong research background and their interview was basically all about their research. Very relaxed interview overall. Almost too relaxed actually as it is a little hard to gauge how you did. You can read up on some possible questions under the interview feedback here: http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/umdnj-som?tab=1

As far as the rest of the interview day, they had a breakfast laid out for us when we got there and there was a couple of videos we watched while we waited for our turn to interview. The interview group is really small, there were only a handful of us the day I interviewed. After your interview, you have a chance to sit in on classes either with the traditional or PBL students depending on the schedule. There is also a tour of the campus and that's about it. I think with the AM sessions you start at 8 AM and are done with everything by noon or so.

Not sure how many people who interviewed are accepted but I've heard that very few people are outright rejected. They made it clear to us that they are interested in every single person they interview and it's really your seat to lose. They told us that we should be hearing back within a month. I think it's via phone call but I'm not 100% on that. I anticipate getting something back within 3 weeks of my interview date considering how early we are in the process. Rowan is definitely my top choice so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll hear some good news in a couple of weeks. We'll see. I had a positive experience with everyone I met from admissions to faculty to students and it seems like a really supportive environment overall.

This waiting period and admissions process is brutal on all of us and seems so random. I guess all we can do is just hang in there and try to be patient. Obviously that's easier said than done haha. Anyways, good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users