RVU match results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jw334

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
CLASS OF 2012 ALL MATCH RESULTS- our dean sent this out today, just in case anyone was curious

Specialty by Number and Location

Specialty # Matched Location

Anesthesiology (11)

Cleveland Clinic, Oh

U Colorado, Denver, CO

BAMC

Loyola Univ Med Ctr, IL

South Pointe Hosp, OH

Hershey Med/Penn State, PA

BAMC

U Kansas SOM - Kansas City, KS

WestUComp/Riverside County, CA

U Nebraska Affil Hosps, NE

Emergency Medicine (15)

Columbia Hosp/St. Lucie, FL

Summa Health, OH

OUCOM/St John Med Ctr, OH

OSUCOM/Southwest Med Ctr, OK

Christus Spohn Mem Hosp, TX

U Nevada Affil Hosps, NV

St Lukes' Hosp-Allentown, PA

South Pointe Hosp, OH

Synergy Med Ed Alliance, MI

WSU/Detroit Med Ctr, MI

UNECOM/Kent Hosp, RI

U Kentucky Med Ctr, KY

U Iowa Hosps & Clinics, IA

NYCOM/Newark Beth Is/St Barnabas, NJ

WVSOM/Ohio Valley Med Ctr/WV

Family Medicine (28)

LECOM/St Petersgurg Gen Hosp, FL

U Colorado, Fam Med/Swedish, CO

Camp Pendleton, CA

Clarkson Fam Med, NE

St Anthony North, CO

U of Wyoming, Casper, WY

Travis AF Base, CA

UNTHSCTCOM/Plaza Med-Ft. Worth, TX

U Oklahoma COM, OK

UNECOM/Eastern Maine, ME

UNECOM/Eastern Maine, ME

NSUCOM/North Broward Hosp, FL

MWU-CCOM/Advocate Bromenn Med, IL

OSUCOM/St Anthony Hosp, OK

OSUCOM/Southeastern OK, OK

U Kansas SOM-Wichita, KS

UMDNJSOM/AHS Overlook, NJ

WESTUCOMP/St Mary's Pueblo, CO

Camp Pendleton, CA

Ft. Bragg, NC

Firelands Reg Med Ctr, OH

PCOM/Pinnaclehealth Hosp, PA

Via Christi Reg Med Ctr, KS

UTMB-Texas

KCOM/U of WY, Casper, WY

OSUCOM/Med Ctr Southeastern, OK

TUCOM-CA/Valley Hosp Med Ctr, NV

FM/EM (1)

Aria Health, PA

Internal Medicine (25)

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

U Colorado, Denver, CO

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

MWU-AZCOM/Verde Valley, AZ

William Beaumont Med Ctr, TX

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

OK State Univ Med Ctr, OK

UNTHSCTCOM/Bay Area Corpus Chris, TX

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

NSUCOM/Largo Med Ctr, FL

VCOM/Lewis Gale Hosp, VA

Exempla St. Joe Hosp, CO

Ingham Reg Med Ctr, MI

MSUCOM/St Joseph Mercy Oakland, CA

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

Banner Good Sam, AZ

UNTHSCTCOM/Plaza Med-Ft Worth, TX

USAF Med Ctr (Keesler) Biloxi, MS

IM/EM (1)

St John Providence Health Sys, MI

Neurology (1)

Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA

OB/GYN (6)

Tripler AF Base/Grant Med, HI

Botsford Hosp, MI

Brooke Army Med Ctr, TX

Metro Health Hosp, MI

Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA

Ortho Surgery (2)

St. Louis, MO

OUCOM/Doctor's Hosp, OH

Oto Facial & Plastic Surg (1)

OK State U Med Ctr, OK

Pathology (1)

LSU

Pediatrics (11)

OUCOM/Doctors Hosp, OH

NSUCOM/N Broward Hosp, FL

OK State U Med Ctr, OK

U Conn Health Ctr, CT

Columbia Hosp/Palms West, FL

Childrens Mercy Hosp, MO

U Wisconsin Hosp & Clin, WI

U Conn Health Ctr, CT

Loyola Univ Med Ctr, IL

U Arizona Affil Hosps, AZ

UTMB Galveston, TX

Psychiatry (4)

U IL Methodist Med Ctr, IL

Baylor Col Med, TX

Univ of HI

Columbia Hosp/University, FL

Radiology (2)

OUCOM/Grandview Hosp, OH

Drexel Univ Hahnemann Hosp, PA

Surgery (4)

Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA

Pontiac Osteo Hosp, MI

St Louis Univ SOM, MO

Naval Hosp (San Diego) CA

Traditional (12)

St Joseph-Mercy, Pontiac, MI

LECOM/Wellington Med Ctr, FL

WESTUCOMP/Riverside Cty Reg, CA

Eisenhower Army Med Ctr, GA

Millcreek Comm Hosp, PA

Naval Hosp (Portsmouth) VA

KYCOM/Our Lady of Bellefonte, KY

Good Sam Reg Med Ctr, Corvalis, OR

Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA

UNECOM/Berkshire Med Ctr, MA

Chino Valley Med Ctr, CA

OUCOM/Affinity Med Ctr, OH

Members don't see this ad.

It will be interesting to see what the RVU haters say.

This is great news for the students there.

Congrats RVU! Looks pretty awesome to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all who matched.

Now two questions to help give this some context:

1) Unless I did maths wrong, 125 people matched. How many people are in the class of 2012?

2) About 10% matched into transitional year only. Is that pretty standard for a DO school?

Congrats to RVUCOM c/o 2012!!! They've been working their @sses off for the last 4 years just about and fully deserve all the success they have acheived! :thumbup:

Congrats to all who matched.

Now two questions to help give this some context:

1) Unless I did maths wrong, 125 people matched. How many people are in the class of 2012?

2) About 10% matched into transitional year only. Is that pretty standard for a DO school?

Just answered one of my own questions. According to a 2009 article in a Colorado paper, RVU class of 2012 has about 160 students. If the match list provided is accurate, with 125 people matching, that a match rate of about 78%. Which is not good.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I think prospective students deserve to know the numbers. Am I missing something here? I would be very happy to be proven wrong on this!!!!

It will be interesting to see what the RVU haters say.

This is great news for the students there.

As one of the original "haters," I think I would say, "I told you so"

Just answered one of my own questions. According to a 2009 article in a Colorado paper, RVU class of 2012 has about 160 students. If the match list provided is accurate, with 125 people matching, that a match rate of about 78%. Which is not good.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I think prospective students deserve to know the numbers. Am I missing something here? I would be very happy to be proven wrong on this!!!!

I just checked with our assistant director of admissions (I'm an ambassador at RVU) who consulted our registrar, and there are 127 2012ers who are graduating this May. They did start with 160, but there was 5-8% attrition for years 1 and 2 and some joined the next class (2013) due to academic difficulty/choice to take a year off for personal reasons, a couple transfers, a couple just outright quit really early on and there are a handful doing a 5th fellowship year and will match with 2013 next year. The 2 people from RVUCOM c/o 2012 that have not yet matched are expected to match somewhere in the scramble and I wish the the best of luck.

So it stands as a 98.4% match rate with the last two likely to match somewhere soon. To which I reply to the poster above me, WE told YOU so. :D

Reactions: 1 user
As one of the original "haters," I think I would say, "I told you so"

:thumbup:

Let me get the negative out of the way first. The ACGME match list (with the nice exception of drexel and CC, which are always great to see) was really sparse there and wasnt that everyone's concern all along? Why was ACGME IM nearly a no show? There are a shockingly low number of surgery spots among all the residency types.The military match, which everyone made a big deal about, was not as special as hyped when you see what the military matches actually were. And as someone else said, there is a match vs enrollment size discrepancy which, while not necessarily bad, is a pretty bad looking thing until we figure out why. The critical analyst side of me is very underwhelmed, partially because I got my hopes after the strong military match results (which really, was the strong military match quantity, we never had a quality measure til now). I have yet to shake the idea that there is some serious ACGME resistance to the school.

Now onto the good stuff. HOLY CRAPAMOLE 2 orthos and an ENT out of the bat. HOLY CRAPAMOLE Doctor's for ortho! And bravo on spreading residencies across the country so well (it matter much more than you'd think, and looks really good on you). Now after crapping on the military match above, there is nothing wrong with your military match, and the quantity should speak volumes, it just was way too hyped for a regular (but in no way poor) accumulation of spots and fields. Hell, you did damn good for a first year school. Be proud of that.

NOTE: You can call me a hater. I'm just trying to be a tough analyst. I think I've always defended as much as I've attacked RVU. A tough analysis (and honest compliments) are deserved here more than anywhere else because so many places and people do still consider the school an experiment to be played out and observed.

honest question, because i dont know, does one measure match rate by the percent of people that have a residency by graduation? Or the percent that don't have to scramble?

honest question, because i dont know, does one measure match rate by the percent of people that have a residency by graduation? Or the percent that don't have to scramble?

I'm fairly sure it's based on match rate pre-scramble, but hopefully someone will clear that up for us.

So, it never ceases to amaze me how some of the folks on this forum can try to make good news into senseless crap@! After Bones DO's post, I too went to the admissions office. He's absoultely right. Some flunked out, some transferred out with the first dean turmoil (a number transferred to LMU), some are in the class of 2013 now because of poor academic performance, and some are in fellowships at the school.

The question, DocEspana raised, how should you measure the quality of a residency match? Simple, it's the types of residency programs the grads get into, and the quality of those programs.

Look, some of you guys have continued to slam this school for four years now. It's obvious that NO MATTER WHAT EVIDENCE is presented, you'll continue to "cheap shot" away. Too bad things didn't work out the way "you wanted it too", but they just didn't.

First it was the Board Scores, but guess what, RVU's board scores this year rocked!.
Then it was the match. Well, the match speaks for itself. The numbers in the specialties and the quality of the programs are as good, if not better than anyone elses. Especailly for a brand new school.

So that's the story. I'm glad I'm a student here, I'm getting a great education, and congrats to the 4th years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked with our assistant director of admissions (I'm an ambassador at RVU) who consulted our registrar, and there are 127 2012ers who are graduating this May. They did start with 160, but there was 5-8% attrition for years 1 and 2 and some joined the next class (2013) due to academic difficulty/choice to take a year off for personal reasons, a couple transfers, a couple just outright quit really early on and there are a handful doing a 5th fellowship year and will match with 2013 next year. The 2 people from RVUCOM c/o 2012 that have not yet matched are expected to match somewhere in the scramble and I wish the the best of luck.

So it stands as a 98.4% match rate with the last two likely to match somewhere soon. To which I reply to the poster above me, WE told YOU so. :D

Well if that's the case, then I am glad to stand corrected! I'm not a big fan of the RVU model, but I would certainly never wish ill on its students. That attrition rate is kinda scary, but looks like those who stuck it out did just fine in the match. And good for them.

The question, DocEspana raised, how should you measure the quality of a residency match? Simple, it's the types of residency programs the grads get into, and the quality of those programs.

Agreed.

First it was the Board Scores, but guess what, RVU's board scores this year rocked!.

You guys did kill it.

Then it was the match. Well, the match speaks for itself. The numbers in the specialties and the quality of the programs are as good, if not better than anyone elses.

Really wouldn't go that far. At all.

So that's the story. I'm glad I'm a student here, I'm getting a great education, and congrats to the 4th years.

Though, in the end, this is what matters.

So, it never ceases to amaze me how some of the folks on this forum can try to make good news into senseless crap@! After Bones DO's post, I too went to the admissions office. He's absoultely right. Some flunked out, some transferred out with the first dean turmoil (a number transferred to LMU), some are in the class of 2013 now because of poor academic performance, and some are in fellowships at the school.

Look, some of you guys have continued to slam this school for four years now. It's obvious that NO MATTER WHAT EVIDENCE is presented, you'll continue to "cheap shot" away. Too bad things didn't work out the way "you wanted it too", but they just didn't.

Then it was the match. Well, the match speaks for itself. The numbers in the specialties and the quality of the programs are as good, if not better than anyone elses. Especailly for a brand new school.

While the c/o 2012 had decent board scores, 2013 soundly beat them ....can't wait to see next years match list...it's only going to get sweeter!

It is pretty useless to draw a conclusion on how good a match is without comparing it to the other DO schools. EVERY DO school has a significant amount of allopathic matches. If you can compare this match list to another DO school, then you can draw a conclusion. I know other DO programs send students to places like University of Chicago, University of Michigan,...etc. Every DO school has a substantial amount of people match anesthesia. Almost every DO school will have someone match ENT or ortho..etc. So just a quick glance at this match list does not automatically impress me, without comparing it to other schools.

So the match list is evidence that the school was not well received. Let me tell you why:

First- there were very, very few allopathic matches.

1) There are few specialty matches,
While this could mean most people wanted primary care, it often means people could not match into something better. Since others have noted that we are "missing" ~30 people from the original class, I'm gonna guess it is the latter.

2) The anesthesia match and EM matchest were mediocre. There are just a few decent matches in this group. Only one that could be considered good.

3) Very few surgery and surgical subspecialties. Could be personal preference and you would expect more good peds/FM/IM matches. However we don't see these good matches.

5) The IM match is bad. There is no way to hide this one under the rug.
Notice almost all the matches are to community programs, most with 350 beds or less (Parkview, Plaza, Verde Valley, Bay Area Medical center and many, many more). Hell, Verde valley has fewer than 100 beds. So does Bay Area medical center. Many IM residencies have more residents than these places have beds. I'm not even sure you can call 72 beds a hospital.

The sheer fact that there aren't many specialty matches and then the IM match is not good leads me to believe that program directors didn't look at RVU grads favorably. And, because these places are all over the west and midwest, it's not as if people wanted to stay near RVU and chose crappy programs to be near family.

6) The peds match isn't good. Again very similar reasons to medicine.

So in the end, you have few specialty matches, few university programs, a bunch of people who didn't match and thus far haven't been able to scramble (osteo and allo scramble have already been) and a lot of community programs.

This appears to be the case for the last couple posts.

You're a glass-half-empty kinda guy/gal huh? Seems like a decent list for the inagural class of a school that 'some' (ahem, in-state) thought would have a lot more troubles than has actually been the case. Congrats to this years class!

So the match list is evidence that the school was not well received. Let me tell you why:

First- there were very, very few allopathic matches.

1) There are few specialty matches,
While this could mean most people wanted primary care, it often means people could not match into something better. Since others have noted that we are "missing" ~30 people from the original class, I'm gonna guess it is the latter.

2) The anesthesia match and EM matchest were mediocre. There are just a few decent matches in this group. Only one that could be considered good.

3) Very few surgery and surgical subspecialties. Could be personal preference and you would expect more good peds/FM/IM matches. However we don't see these good matches.

5) The IM match is bad. There is no way to hide this one under the rug.
Notice almost all the matches are to community programs, most with 350 beds or less (Parkview, Plaza, Verde Valley, Bay Area Medical center and many, many more). Hell, Verde valley has fewer than 100 beds. So does Bay Area medical center. Many IM residencies have more residents than these places have beds. I'm not even sure you can call 72 beds a hospital.

The sheer fact that there aren't many specialty matches and then the IM match is not good leads me to believe that program directors didn't look at RVU grads favorably. And, because these places are all over the west and midwest, it's not as if people wanted to stay near RVU and chose crappy programs to be near family.

6) The peds match isn't good. Again very similar reasons to medicine.

So in the end, you have few specialty matches, few university programs, a bunch of people who didn't match and thus far haven't been able to scramble (osteo and allo scramble have already been) and a lot of community programs.

The negativity on some of these forums is astonishing.

The negativity on some of these forums is astonishing.

Without critical/objective analysis we're all blowing smoke up each other's asses and abandoning our roots in science in order to not admit that everyone else (instatewaiter being a great example) is being that harsh with the analysis. It needs to be said that it was a good start for a new DO school, but only a decent match, at best. IM, Peds and surgery were abysmal. The ortho and the ENT and the CC/Drexel spots are the saving grace.

I wont hear from my AMA connections til fri/sat this weekend. But I know a number of them were *hoping* for a poor showing and I will get an earful at the AAMC conference about it as the token DO student there.

EDIT: and the unmatched rate being low. hell. if only 2 didnt find a spot (unclear if thats pre or post scramble) then thats a great thing too.

You're a glass-half-empty kinda guy/gal huh? Seems like a decent list for the inagural class of a school that 'some' (ahem, in-state) thought would have a lot more troubles than has actually been the case. Congrats to this years class!

I dont think you know what a good list looks like. Here is an example of a DO school:

http://www.dmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/COM-2011-residencies-by-specialty.pdf

Ohio state, Indiana University, Loma Linda, University of Arizona, University of Florida, University of Iowa, Case Western, Henry Ford, Michigan State, Loyola University, St. Louis University, University of Nebraska, University of Buffalo, Idaho State University, University of Minnesota, Columbia University, UMDNJ SOM, University of New Mexico, VCU, University of Illinois, University of Nevada, University of Kansas, University of Utah, Creighton, University of Missouri, UCONN, Emory University, University of Wisconsin, Texas AM, University of Texas, Michigan,..etc

7 Anesthesia (all allopathic)
8 Ortho
6 Radiology (all allopathic)
11 Gen Surg
1 Cardiothoracic Surgery
1 Urology

Last edited:
yeah DMU does have a great match almost every year, but why would you even try to compare RVU to a class that has 210 people per class?

CLASS OF 2012 ALL MATCH RESULTS- our dean sent this out today, just in case anyone was curious

Specialty by Number and Location

Specialty # Matched Location

Anesthesiology (11)

Cleveland Clinic, Oh

U Colorado, Denver, CO

BAMC

Loyola Univ Med Ctr, IL

South Pointe Hosp, OH

BAMC

U Kansas SOM - Kansas City, KS

WestUComp/Riverside County, CA

U Nebraska Affil Hosps, NE

Emergency Medicine (15)

Columbia Hosp/St. Lucie, FL

Summa Health, OH

OUCOM/St John Med Ctr, OH

OSUCOM/Southwest Med Ctr, OK

Christus Spohn Mem Hosp, TX

U Nevada Affil Hosps, NV

St Lukes' Hosp-Allentown, PA

South Pointe Hosp, OH

Synergy Med Ed Alliance, MI

WSU/Detroit Med Ctr, MI

UNECOM/Kent Hosp, RI

U Kentucky Med Ctr, KY

U Iowa Hosps & Clinics, IA

NYCOM/Newark Beth Is/St Barnabas, NJ

WVSOM/Ohio Valley Med Ctr/WV

Family Medicine (28)

LECOM/St Petersgurg Gen Hosp, FL

U Colorado, Fam Med/Swedish, CO

Camp Pendleton, CA

Clarkson Fam Med, NE

St Anthony North, CO

U of Wyoming, Casper, WY

Travis AF Base, CA

UNTHSCTCOM/Plaza Med-Ft. Worth, TX

U Oklahoma COM, OK

UNECOM/Eastern Maine, ME

UNECOM/Eastern Maine, ME

MWU-CCOM/Advocate Bromenn Med, IL

OSUCOM/St Anthony Hosp, OK

OSUCOM/Southeastern OK, OK

U Kansas SOM-Wichita, KS

UMDNJSOM/AHS Overlook, NJ

WESTUCOMP/St Mary's Pueblo, CO

Camp Pendleton, CA

Ft. Bragg, NC

Firelands Reg Med Ctr, OH

PCOM/Pinnaclehealth Hosp, PA

Via Christi Reg Med Ctr, KS

UTMB-Texas

KCOM/U of WY, Casper, WY

FM/EM (1)

Aria Health, PA

Internal Medicine (25)

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

U Colorado, Denver, CO

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

MWU-AZCOM/Verde Valley, AZ

William Beaumont Med Ctr, TX

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

OK State Univ Med Ctr, OK

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

NSUCOM/Largo Med Ctr, FL

VCOM/Lewis Gale Hosp, VA

Exempla St. Joe Hosp, CO

Ingham Reg Med Ctr, MI

MSUCOM/St Joseph Mercy Oakland, CA

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

Parkview Med Ctr, CO

Banner Good Sam, AZ

USAF Med Ctr (Keesler) Biloxi, MS

IM/EM (1)

Neurology (1)

Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA

OB/GYN (6)

Tripler AF Base/Grant Med, HI

Botsford Hosp, MI

Brooke Army Med Ctr, TX

Metro Health Hosp, MI

Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA

Ortho Surgery (2)

St. Louis, MO

OUCOM/Doctor's Hosp, OH

Oto Facial & Plastic Surg (1)

OK State U Med Ctr, OK

Pathology (1)

LSU

Pediatrics (11)

OUCOM/Doctors Hosp, OH

NSUCOM/N Broward Hosp, FL

OK State U Med Ctr, OK

U Conn Health Ctr, CT

Columbia Hosp/Palms West, FL

Childrens Mercy Hosp, MO

U Wisconsin Hosp & Clin, WI

U Conn Health Ctr, CT

Loyola Univ Med Ctr, IL

U Arizona Affil Hosps, AZ

UTMB Galveston, TX

Psychiatry (4)

U IL Methodist Med Ctr, IL

Baylor Col Med, TX

Univ of HI

Columbia Hosp/University, FL

Radiology (2)

OUCOM/Grandview Hosp, OH

Drexel Univ Hahnemann Hosp, PA

Surgery (4)

Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA

Pontiac Osteo Hosp, MI

St Louis Univ SOM, MO

Naval Hosp (San Diego) CA

Traditional (12)

St Joseph-Mercy, Pontiac, MI

LECOM/Wellington Med Ctr, FL

WESTUCOMP/Riverside Cty Reg, CA

Eisenhower Army Med Ctr, GA

Millcreek Comm Hosp, PA

Naval Hosp (Portsmouth) VA

KYCOM/Our Lady of Bellefonte, KY

Good Sam Reg Med Ctr, Corvalis, OR

Madigan Army Med Ctr, WA

UNECOM/Berkshire Med Ctr, MA

Chino Valley Med Ctr, CA

OUCOM/Affinity Med Ctr, OH

This looks pretty good! Great Job Everyone!
:thumbup: for Anesthesia @ WestUComp!!

Without critical/objective analysis we're all blowing smoke up each other's asses and abandoning our roots in science in order to not admit that everyone else (instatewaiter being a great example) is being that harsh with the analysis. It needs to be said that it was a good start for a new DO school, but only a decent match, at best. IM, Peds and surgery were abysmal. The ortho and the ENT and the CC/Drexel spots are the saving grace.

I wont hear from my AMA connections til fri/sat this weekend. But I know a number of them were *hoping* for a poor showing and I will get an earful at the AAMC conference about it as the token DO student there.

EDIT: and the unmatched rate being low. hell. if only 2 didnt find a spot (unclear if thats pre or post scramble) then thats a great thing too.

Two are currently scrambling. 125/127 are matched. I am proud that the first graduating class did as well as it did. I welcome constructive commentary but this needs to be considered a win for RVU. Regardless of the perception of some on here that the match wasn't "great" it was indeed excellent considering it was the first graduating class. It will only get better as each class admitted is stronger and stronger academically than the one before it.

Many doubted our classes' ability to do well on boards. When we proved them wrong, the same people doubted we'd match. Now that we have matched, again the same group points out c/o 2012 is smaller than it started by a decent number and assume our match rate was under 80%. When that was explained we're presented with another school's match list and asked why it isn't as awesome. I'm willing debate to a point but the bottom line is 98% of the RVU community doesn't care what people on SDN think of us; we will continue doing our best and allow the results allow the continually improving results speak for themselves.

The example of Touro NY's first class comes to mind. If you remember, their c/o 2011 had a less than 80% first pass rate on COMLEX I, yet everyone has forgotten this as their stats have improved with the higher quality of the successive classes they admit. The same will be true of RVU.

The following is not directed against docespana but rather a general comment. I have learned to accept that some people on SDN will simply urinate on RVU's name for ever because they have been doing so since its opening and they can't bear to admit that they might have been wrong about us. Is there room for improvement? Of course, but I commend the class of 2012 on a job well-done and I think belittling their hard work is uncalled for. Man up and admit your myopic predictions were largely incorrect.

I said 'decent' for the FIRST GRADUATING CLASS of a school up against alot of barriers (perceived and real) and detractors.. Cmon now, comparing to DMU is apples to oranges...

I dont think you know what a good list looks like. Here is an example of a DO school:

http://www.dmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/COM-2011-residencies-by-specialty.pdf

Ohio state, Indiana University, Loma Linda, University of Arizona, University of Florida, University of Iowa, Case Western, Henry Ford, Michigan State, Loyola University, St. Louis University, University of Nebraska, University of Buffalo, Idaho State University, University of Minnesota, Columbia University, UMDNJ SOM, University of New Mexico, VCU, University of Illinois, University of Nevada, University of Kansas, University of Utah, Creighton, University of Missouri, UCONN, Emory University, University of Wisconsin, Texas AM, University of Texas, Michigan,..etc

7 Anesthesia (all allopathic)
8 Ortho
6 Radiology (all allopathic)
11 Gen Surg
1 Cardiothoracic Surgery
1 Urology

yeah DMU does have a great match almost every year, but why would you even try to compare RVU to a class that has 210 people per class?

This is most damning to the comparison. I agree with CODrummer, apples/oranges.

Did anyone expect RVU to not have an acceptable match?
The education is likely within COCA standards, the board scores ok and most PD's (not all) don't care about the profit status.
For those of us who believe that for-profit medical education is wrong, as did Flexner, then these results do not obviate the fact. That is, the ends do not justify the means. Many DO's think that for us to have the only for-profit medical school in the developed world is demeaning to the profession. Many do not.
Of course, for-profit medical education may become a preferable model in the changing healthcare environment. Time will tell.
I suspect the match results will not change opinions, one way or another.

For better or worse, a school's first match list will differ somewhat from further match lists, especially if a significant amount of people were held back. Every older school's match list will include matches from people on the 5 year path. By default, the first match list will not contain any 5th year students who, on average, would be less likely to fare as well as their 4 year counterparts.

Did anyone expect RVU to not have an acceptable match?
LOL! Are you serious? Based on the posts from the SDN naysayers for the past four years, you'd think RVU graduates were gonna end up as janitors for the rest of their lives because all of the PDs out there, especially for any sort of competitive specialties were going to hate everyone from the school. Even if it is "just" a decent match, it's pretty awesome considering its the first class, especially with all of crap that's been spoken on SDN over the years about their chances at matching. Thanks to those who will at least acknowledge the positive aspects of RVU while offering criticism. Nice job RVU class of 2012!

Im not seeing what all the excitement is about. Outside of the 2 Ortho matches and the ENT match nothing is really that impressive. Pretty typical low tier DO school match list. The people at the top of your class are always going to do well no matter which school you go to. Whats really telling is how the people in the middle of your school match. Regardless this class went through alot of outside criticism and should enjoy their individual success. However, most people are still against the for profit model and nothing RVU students do is going to change their mind.

I'm still an RVU hater and I think their school is an absolute joke. Lets be honest, the only reason most of them matched into anything at all is because there are about 5000 crappy "community/rural" primary care programs that will take anyone with a pulse. Hell its free labor for them. Yes I'm sure there are a handful of RVU people who "outkicked their coverage" and overcame the crappy RVU program, but thats not indicative of hte program as a whole. Just as Harvard/Hopkins/UCSF have a couple of terrible matches every year, thats not indicative of the program as a whole.

The bulk of the programs that RVU people matched into were places that had to settle for 3rd tier FMG grads in years past. RVU is automatically going to be one step ahead of those places simply because most of hte RVU grads speak english (presumably) which you cant say about the 3rd tier trash international grads.

Given the choice of taking a third tier trash RVU grad vs third tier trash FMG vs going unmatched and not having any free labor for their scutwork, of course they are going to take a fresh body.

Lets take a look at RVU's match list in 5 years when the residency crunch really begins, and I think you'll see a noticeable deterioration in their ability to match.

Just a gentle reminder that on SDN, please keep your posts civil and professional. You are certainly free to disagree with the posters positions/conclusions, but hopefully with your advance education, you can make your case and argument while maintaining civility.

(this warning is for BOTH sides)

Good Fight, Good Night!

tumblr_l4ppzcbTCB1qaaeyoo1_400.jpg

ALL DO schools have unimpressive match lists. I do not see anything special here.

I'm still an RVU hater and I think their school is an absolute joke. Lets be honest, the only reason most of them matched into anything at all is because there are about 5000 crappy "community/rural" primary care programs that will take anyone with a pulse. Hell its free labor for them. Yes I'm sure there are a handful of RVU people who "outkicked their coverage" and overcame the crappy RVU program, but thats not indicative of hte program as a whole. Just as Harvard/Hopkins/UCSF have a couple of terrible matches every year, thats not indicative of the program as a whole.

The bulk of the programs that RVU people matched into were places that had to settle for 3rd tier FMG grads in years past. RVU is automatically going to be one step ahead of those places simply because most of hte RVU grads speak english (presumably) which you cant say about the 3rd tier trash international grads.

Given the choice of taking a third tier trash RVU grad vs third tier trash FMG vs going unmatched and not having any free labor for their scutwork, of course they are going to take a fresh body.

Lets take a look at RVU's match list in 5 years when the residency crunch really begins, and I think you'll see a noticeable deterioration in their ability to match.

I understand the fact that you're ignorant to the quality of RVU's program since you've never attended a class or even visited the school, but what I don't understand is how you can make such ludicrous over-arching statements when you know our last set of board scores averaged well over the national mean. I'll be glad to revisit our match list in 5 years with you, and once again prove a SDN hater wrong. The rest of your post is unbecoming of your supposed professional/preprofessional station (which I heavily question given the classlessness of your remarks). I therefore abstain from commenting on them.

For those who are impressed with the rank list, are you:
A) a student at RVU - if yes, obvious bias
B) a 4th year medical student or above - if not, you haven't been to enough interviews/hospitals to be able to judge.

I see a few gems but I also see lots of small community programs, and quite a few of the allo matches are places that didn't fill in the match.

But I do agree with Bones, we can't take this list in isolation. The next few years will be very telling.

I understand the fact that you're ignorant to the quality of RVU's program since you've never attended a class or even visited the school, but what I don't understand is how you can make such ludicrous over-arching statements when you know our last set of board scores averaged well over the national mean. I'll be glad to revisit our match list in 5 years with you, and once again prove a SDN hater wrong. The rest of your post is unbecoming of your supposed professional/preprofessional station (which I heavily question given the classlessness of your remarks). I therefore abstain from commenting on them.

So let's investigate this- RVU has above average board scores for a DO school and a below average match list for a DO school...

Possible reasons:
1) The students did not shoot for good residencies- seems unlikely
2) The administrators filled their class with socially awkward people who cannot hold a conversation- also seems unlikely
3) The students were not well recieved- seems most likely
4) This is a typical scenario for a new DO school- also a possibility

While it is probably a combination of 3 and 4, the decent board scores belies #4 a bit.

I realize you get riled up as you are an RVU student, but you first need to prove the "haters" wrong before you prove them wrong again. It seems to me we were pretty dead on about the match. Yes people did match. Yes there were 3 decent ones. Overall though, the match was one of the most lack-luster match lists I have seen.

I realize you get riled up as you are an RVU student, but you first need to prove the "haters" wrong before you prove them wrong again. It seems to me we were pretty dead on about the match. Yes people did match. Yes there were 3 decent ones. Overall though, the match was one of the most lack-luster match lists I have seen.

Better yet, let's not 'prove' anything to anyone. I'm not seeking anybody's approval. I matched into a program that I wanted to go to, game over.

Many people are stoked with their matches, regardless of how you assess each program on your scale of greatness.

All the haters need to relax.

It is the first match for the school.

Congrats guys- you should all be very proud.

Better yet, let's not 'prove' anything to anyone. I'm not seeking anybody's approval. I matched into a program that I wanted to go to, game over.

Many people are stoked with their matches, regardless of how you assess each program on your scale of greatness.
It is good people are happy. It is also good everyone will have matched. However, I'd have to agree the matchlist speaks somewhat about the reputation of the school/bias/etc. I'm not here to argue about that, just give my reasoning.

A lot of self selection goes on when matching. If it doesn't, you usually end up very unhappy with the way things go. With that said, if students were at the caliber to apply to more well known university and community programs, would they not have? I don't see why the majority of the class would be tied to the area and settle for less known, less prestigious institutions IF they are qualified for other programs. A lot of people may be married or have kids, but for those that aren't is there a major reason no one is branching out to bigger/more well known institutions?