Program-Specific Info / Q's Salus University MOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I decided to call today because it has been over two weeks since my interview. I was told that I was on the standby list and that my letter was mailed this morning. I asked how many people are on the stand by list and she told me there are 8 people so I'm feeling hopeful. She also made it seem like once someone drops their spot from the program, that there is a re-evaluation of all applicants on the standby list to choose the next person. My question is, has anyone on this forum been taken off the standby list?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview scheduled for 2/11 and I have to cancel it. Injured myself during a match and have to get an MRI that day. Plus I don't think I could handle the travel right now. I went to cancel online, but you have to do it within a week. I just called and left a voice mail with Admissions. I feel horrible, but there really isn't anything I can do about it.

Bad timing :(

No new info from me- but yeah I got that same email too, don't really know how much they actually care about that. I didn't retake the gres and still got an interview and wasn't completely rejected. Don't lose hope!

Can you give me any information about the interview process, what questions were asked, etc?? I am going in next week for mine!

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I decided to call today because it has been over two weeks since my interview. I was told that I was on the standby list and that my letter was mailed this morning. I asked how many people are on the stand by list and she told me there are 8 people so I'm feeling hopeful. She also made it seem like once someone drops their spot from the program, that there is a re-evaluation of all applicants on the standby list to choose the next person. My question is, has anyone on this forum been taken off the standby list?
I'm in the same position let me know if you hear any updates.

I was invited to interview last week and am still deciding if I should accept. I am really interested in the program and think it would be a great option for OT school, but I am also out of state. It would cost a lot of money for me to fly there for the interview only for a spot on the standby or waitlist. Not sure what to do just yet.

Okay, so I'm deterring a little from the current conversation, but I wanted to write a response for future prospective students. I used this site a lot while I was applying and I'm hoping my info will help someone:
I (like many others) received an email from admission suggesting that I retake my GREs, but I was still invited for an interview. During the interview, you will have a meeting with an admission counselor and mine told me that my GRE score were lower than what they really wanted. This crushed my spirits and I just knew I would get rejected. A week later I received a letter in the mail saying that the admission committee haven't made a decision regarding my acceptance and suggested that I retake the GRE. I emailed them and asked what exactly that meant and I was told that they could give me a decision based on my application, or I could retake the GRE and the committee will re-evaluate my application. To me this meant that right now based on my GRE I would be rejected, but overall I had a good application so they want me to retake me GRE. I decided to retake the GRE because I felt like I had nothing to lose... Anyway, I retook my GRE and got waaay better scores, two days later I received an acceptance letter. My first GRE scores were 151 (verbal ) and 141 (quantitative), the new scores went up to 154 (verbal) and 150 (quantitative). This was my experience your experience can be totally different.

I really like Salus, it's has been my first choice since I visited. But now I nervous because I live out of state and I'm concerned about finding housing (I really don't want to pay $800+ for rent). Have anyone else that has been accepted from out of state? I also got accepted in another school too and I'm wondering if I should go there since they have graduate school housing. Aaaah, so many decision and only like a week or two to decide. Anyone from the area have advice, or just does ANYONE have advice. haha.

Good luck to current and future students pursuing Salus.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, so I'm deterring a little from the current conversation, but I wanted to write a response for future prospective students. I used this site a lot while I was applying and I'm hoping my info will help someone:
I (like many others) received an email from admission suggesting that I retake my GREs, but I was still invited for an interview. During the interview, you will have a meeting with an admission counselor and mine told me that my GRE score were lower than what they really wanted. This crushed my spirits and I just knew I would get rejected. A week later I received a letter in the mail saying that the admission committee haven't made a decision regarding my acceptance and suggested that I retake the GRE. I emailed them and asked what exactly that meant and I was told that they could give me a decision based on my application, or I could retake the GRE and the committee will re-evaluate my application. To me this meant that right now based on my GRE I would be rejected, but overall I had a good application so they want me to retake me GRE. I decided to retake the GRE because I felt like I had nothing to lose... Anyway, I retook my GRE and got waaay better scores, two days later I received an acceptance letter. My first GRE scores were 151 (verbal ) and 141 (quantitative), the new scores went up to 154 (verbal) and 150 (quantitative). This was my experience your experience can be totally different.

I really like Salus, it's has been my first choice since I visited. But now I nervous because I live out of state and I'm concerned about finding housing (I really don't want to pay $800+ for rent). Have anyone else that has been accepted from out of state? I also got accepted in another school too and I'm wondering if I should go there since they have graduate school housing. Aaaah, so many decision and only like a week or two to decide. Anyone from the area have advice, or just does ANYONE have advice. haha.

I can't really comment much on the upper portion of your post, but I definitely hear you on the problem with rent. I'm from PA, but decided to limit the amount of schools in the state that I applied to. Both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have semi-high cost of living. I have two options left for schools, Murphy Deming in VA and East Carolina in NC. Both areas have rent costs that are about $400-500 depending on what exactly you are looking for. I realized that cost of living was a really important factor and that I'd have to come up with so much more extra money just to stay in PA. Just something to consider, but a place with graduate housing sounds great. What school is that exactly?

When did you have your interview?

I can't really comment much on the upper portion of your post, but I definitely hear you on the problem with rent. I'm from PA, but decided to limit the amount of schools in the state that I applied to. Both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia have semi-high cost of living. I have two options left for schools, Murphy Deming in VA and East Carolina in NC. Both areas have rent costs that are about $400-500 depending on what exactly you are looking for. I realized that cost of living was a really important factor and that I'd have to come up with so much more extra money just to stay in PA. Just something to consider, but a place with graduate housing sounds great. What school is that exactly?

I wasn't really focused on cost of living when I applying... I really looked at which schools I met the requirements for, and that I liked. I applied to OT school last year and didnt get into any... sooo I was much more focused on getting accepting more than anything. I also applied to two schools down south (which do have a lower cost of living) but had to withdraw my application from one and the other waitlisted me. But anyway to answer your question, the school that has graduate housing is Chahtam University.

I don't think you would pay anywhere near $800. I currently live in Philadelphia where the prices out in Jenkintown look SO much cheaper to me. If you have roommates, it would probably be at most $600 with utilities. The more roommates you have, the cheaper everything is. If you look up some of the major apartments near Salus, their rates seem reasonable. Also, depending on where you live, you may not need to worry about a car or using gas. Salus is walkable from most apartments (one I looked at even had a shuttle to campus) and the Jenkintown train station is super close (its about a 20 minute train ride to Philadelphia). I currently go to Temple and it is a much higher cost of living here. Salus is more appealing to me because I think it would be a lot cheaper. Their tuition is the cheapest that I looked at and Jenkintown is a really convenient place to live. Far enough from the city that the rent is 100% doable but close enough that it is super easy to get to Philadelphia (I actually took the train out to Jenkintown and walked to Salus for my interview!). And I think graduate housing tends to be overpriced, I think that often you can find a much better deal on your own. Just my outlook on this though :)

Also, in terms creating connections with fieldwork… I believe that the Philadelphia area typically has a pretty high starting salary rate. So it may even out in the end!

What apartment complexes are you looking at that have rent so low? Most that I see have rent around 700-800 for a one bedroom. But I have been looking at two bedrooms in hope that I can get a roommate.

Are you going to Salus in the Fall?

I don't think you would pay anywhere near $800. I currently live in Philadelphia where the prices out in Jenkintown look SO much cheaper to me. If you have roommates, it would probably be at most $600 with utilities. The more roommates you have, the cheaper everything is. If you look up some of the major apartments near Salus, their rates seem reasonable. Also, depending on where you live, you may not need to worry about a car or using gas. Salus is walkable from most apartments (one I looked at even had a shuttle to campus) and the Jenkintown train station is super close (its about a 20 minute train ride to Philadelphia). I currently go to Temple and it is a much higher cost of living here. Salus is more appealing to me because I think it would be a lot cheaper. Their tuition is the cheapest that I looked at and Jenkintown is a really convenient place to live. Far enough from the city that the rent is 100% doable but close enough that it is super easy to get to Philadelphia (I actually took the train out to Jenkintown and walked to Salus for my interview!). And I think graduate housing tends to be overpriced, I think that often you can find a much better deal on your own. Just my outlook on this though :)

What apartment complexes are you looking at that have rent so low? Most that I see have rent around 700-800 for a one bedroom. But I have been looking at two bedrooms in hope that I can get a roommate.

Are you going to Salus in the Fall?

For one bedroom (no roommate) you should definitely expect to pay that much. Here in the city if you get a studio its easily $1000+ for waaaaay less square footage. I think I looked at Lynnewood Gardens, and then split the rent for a two bedroom and it was around $500. To me, thats pretty cheap, but I may be used to living in Philly. It seems like one of the nicer apartments, its not like towers style that most of the apartments are like out there. I'm not sure if those are cheaper because I didn't look… I think a lot of students live in the Towers at Wyncote, but I would really prefer not to live in a place set up like that.

I'm not sure if I'm attending Salus yet. I would say about 70% sure! How about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lynnewood Gardens is actually that one that I looked into and had the best reviews and cost... $500 isn't bad. I haven't looked into Towers at Wyncote tho.

I am 98% sure that I will be going to Salus. I'm only worried about housing, but then again my subconscious is telling me that I will find good housing... like it's philly.

For one bedroom (no roommate) you should definitely expect to pay that much. Here in the city if you get a studio its easily $1000+ for waaaaay less square footage. I think I looked at Lynnewood Gardens, and then split the rent for a two bedroom and it was around $500. To me, thats pretty cheap, but I may be used to living in Philly. It seems like one of the nicer apartments, its not like towers style that most of the apartments are like out there. I'm not sure if those are cheaper because I didn't look… I think a lot of students live in the Towers at Wyncote, but I would really prefer not to live in a place set up like that.

I'm not sure if I'm attending Salus yet. I would say about 70% sure! How about you?

Lynnewood Gardens is actually that one that I looked into and had the best reviews and cost... $500 isn't bad. I haven't looked into Towers at Wyncote tho.

I am 98% sure that I will be going to Salus. I'm only worried about housing, but then again my subconscious is telling me that I will find good housing... like it's philly.

I wouldn't worry about housing. There are a ton of schools in that area… Penn State Abington, Arcadia, Manor College… Anywhere that there is a high demand for student housing, there will be housing. Although I'm instate, I won't be commuting from home so I'll be in the same boat!

For any of you that have also considered Thomas Jefferson, can you tell me what helped you to choose Salus over TJ? What aspects of the program helped you to lean more toward Salus?

I have an interview scheduled for 2/11 and I have to cancel it. Injured myself during a match and have to get an MRI that day. Plus I don't think I could handle the travel right now. I went to cancel online, but you have to do it within a week. I just called and left a voice mail with Admissions. I feel horrible, but there really isn't anything I can do about it.

Bad timing :(
Hey, I was wondering if they let you reschedule your appointment? Mine is just next week and I want to reschedule mine...

I ended up withdrawing my application. I can't afford to shell out the money to interview at a school that is already full. They were going to let me reschedule though. I would do it ASAP.

I ended up withdrawing my application. I can't afford to shell out the money to interview at a school that is already full. They were going to let me reschedule though. I would do it ASAP.
Thanks!! It looks like they're holding interview until end of March.. but is the class already almost full? I live in NJ and I would have to take work off to attend this interview..

It's completely full. They have a standby and a wait list. The wait list is basically a wait list of the standby list.. If that makes sense. They'll pick people off their standby list and if they run out of standby applicants they'll choose from the waitlist. So at this point you'll be competing for a spot on either the waitlist or standby list

I mean they MAY still be accepting people but I feel like at this point it's unlikely

I was just accepted into the Salus program off the waitlist yesterday, so don't give up hope. There will be a lot of students dropping their seat because many other schools have not yet mailed their acceptances. I am very excited to start this program, but do still have a few other interviews to go to and want to keep my options open!

I was just taken off the standby list this week, don't give up hope!!

Waitlist or standby list?

Hey Guys, I was thinking about making a FB group for Salus's 2017 OT class. However, I need other members to add when I create it. If that is something you all would be interested in, messege me and I'll add you as a friend so I can make the group! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hey Guys, I was thinking about making a FB group for Salus's 2017 OT class. However, I need other members to add when I create it. If that is something you all would be interested in, messege me and I'll add you as a friend so I can make the group! :)
Sorry new to this forum, not sure how to message could u help me out? I am interested in the Fbook group

Sooooo who's going to Salus in the Fall?? Have you all found roommates/housing?

Can those of you accepted Into the program share your gre scores? I want to realistically see what I can pull off while having a chance of acceptance. Thank you

Attached is a screen shot of my scores... sorry I was too lazy to remember them and type them. Lol. Let me know if you can't open the pic. The older two were what I sent to Salut during my intial application. After my interview the suggested I retake them again, sadly, and so I took them on Jan 8th and after they received my new (and approved) scores I was accepted. So definitely do a descent job on your GRE and apply early!! Salus is rolling admission!
Can those of you accepted Into the program share your gre scores? I want to realistically see what I can pull off while having a chance of acceptance. Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-14-22-01-30.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-14-22-01-30.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 138
Ahh thank you! Because I got a 3.5 and am retaking it but am scared I can't improve it anymore
Attached is a screen shot of my scores... sorry I was too lazy to remember them and type them. Lol. Let me know if you can't open the pic. The older two were what I sent to Salut during my intial application. After my interview the suggested I retake them again, sadly, and so I took them on Jan 8th and after they received my new (and approved) scores I was accepted. So definitely do a descent job on your GRE and apply early!! Salus is rolling admission!

How far is everyone's commute if you're not getting an apartment?

I saw one person say they were commuting from NJ (I can't remember the city), but I think it was like 1.5 from school. A lot of people are either getting a apartment near the school or already leave close.

I think 3.5 is pretty descent, but read some online samples and get use to what they look for in the essays... u may be able to improve!!

Ahh thank you! Because I got a 3.5 and am retaking it but am scared I can't improve it anymore[/QUOTE

Just a heads-up:

Salus is now interviewing for the 2016 school year! I was verified in OTCAS on 08/21 and got my invitation to interview this morning (9/2) at 9:17 a.m. Almost half of the interview dates for the first two slots (9/10) and (9/17) are full at this time.

If you are interested in Salus, I *strongly* recommend getting your stuff into OTCAS for verification soon. It looked like they hold interviews once weekly, with about 8 interview slots per week, and all interviews are on thursdays.

Reactions: 2 users
Just a heads-up:

Salus is now interviewing for the 2016 school year! I was verified in OTCAS on 08/21 and got my invitation to interview this morning (9/2) at 9:17 a.m. Almost half of the interview dates for the first two slots (9/10) and (9/17) are full at this time.

If you are interested in Salus, I *strongly* recommend getting your stuff into OTCAS for verification soon. It looked like they hold interviews once weekly, with about 8 interview slots per week, and all interviews are on thursdays.

I got a request this morning too! I will be interviewing on 9/17. When are you going? Do you have any experience with their interview process?

I interviewed there last year. I agree with what has been mentioned previously, apply ASAP. They accept people based on rolling admissions. From what I can remember the interview process was pretty straightforward, whats OT, Why do you want to be an OT, Etc. they give you a tour and then you briefly meet with an admissions counselor to see what your missing or what you need to improve on.

I interviewed there last year. I agree with what has been mentioned previously, apply ASAP. They accept people based on rolling admissions. From what I can remember the interview process was pretty straightforward, whats OT, Why do you want to be an OT, Etc. they give you a tour and then you briefly meet with an admissions counselor to see what your missing or what you need to improve on.
Thanks! I'm considering applying there. Do they do group interviews? My turn off is that I'm still in school and live in RI, so going there on a Thursday would be realllly inconvenient since I work acne go to school that day. :(

From my experience, it is more like an interview with the admissions counselor. She was filling out a sheet that I assume would go with my file and have influence in my acceptance. She asked me about extracurriculars, why I choose my major, and other questions similar to that. Definitely treat this as another interview!

Thanks! I'm considering applying there. Do they do group interviews? My turn off is that I'm still in school and live in RI, so going there on a Thursday would be realllly inconvenient since I work acne go to school that day. :(

It's a one on one interview but there are other people there being interviewed. They sit with you in the room while you wait, you have lunch with them, and go on the tour with them. It was actually nice as talking to other people made me more relaxed. I was still in school when I had my interview and I just cleared it with all my professors to make sure it wasn't a test day, etc. and they were super understanding, I'm sure yours would be too!

I'm flying in from Michigan and work full time. And go to school at night. And will be missing my first day of class this semester. And have to get a sitter for my dog. And I work the next day, where I actually have to run a public event. Look, I think the point I'm trying to make is that depending on the school, interviewing is a necessary step to getting into school, and it's going to be inconvenient. It's easier if you just embrace that yeah, you're going to have a few tricky days there, but this is something you have to do.

I'm flying in from Michigan and work full time. And go to school at night. And will be missing my first day of class this semester. And have to get a sitter for my dog. And I work the next day, where I actually have to run a public event. Look, I think the point I'm trying to make is that depending on the school, interviewing is a necessary step to getting into school, and it's going to be inconvenient. It's easier if you just embrace that yeah, you're going to have a few tricky days there, but this is something you have to do.
I just don't get why they don't do them on Fridays when it's less common to have class that day. Or maybe Mondays, since at least then it would be next to the weekend. I guess they don't care because they have plenty of applicants who are willing to make the trip.

I just don't get why they don't do them on Fridays when it's less common to have class that day. Or maybe Mondays, since at least then it would be next to the weekend. I guess they don't care because they have plenty of applicants who are willing to make the trip.

I doubt it's because they don't care. Even if they have a ton of interviews, they'd still want the best possible candidates, and making it overly onerous to interview without a good reason would hurt their chances of getting amazing applicants.

I've noticed that schools that have rolling admissions generally don't do interviews, and the ones that do often have non-standard interview dates. Salus interviews every week, versus, say, Chatham which has two dates where everybody shows up at once (and sometimes they don't even do the second date). In fact, I can't think of another school off of the top of my head that does weekly interviews, although I'm sure they exist. My guess is that because they do interviews so much more frequently, they have to work within whatever their current standard academic week looks like, instead of blocking off some time on the weekend. They don't have an interview specific faculty, from what I understand--so can you imagine if they interviewed Saturdays? Every major interviewer would have to work a six day week, four months out of the year. I'm also guessing that they like having a workday on the day after the interview, because if they're anything like me--I like to crack open the files on the very next day and get my impressions all noted and written down before the weekend takes it all away from me (lol).

So that's my guess. It's Thursday, because that's the day that works the best with the academic calendar they have set up. Even if Thursday is inconvenient, the fact that they are weekly is also super helpful--you can make sure it's not on the same day as a different interview, or a test day, or something like that. Honestly, I think it shows a lot of regard for their incoming students.

#MyTwoCents

The reason why the faculty can't interview on Friday is because they are all still practicing OTs. I'm a current OT student at Salus (& I love it!), so I recommend you interview early as possible!