"Saving" Stray Cat vs. Stealing Owned Outdoor Cat (No ID)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most people would thank you for neutering their cat if it was ever indoors

My problem with this outlook is it should be the owner's choice you do this. I don't feel someone else should make choices for my animals outside of life threatening emergencies.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think I'm gonna try to do the stray hold thing. I can't take him home yet because of my other cat, and I also don't want my apartment to smell like tomcat. I'm definitely gonna try and find the owner by posting flyers in the area, but I won't be too sad if nobody claims him.
I've never had to deal with this situation before, so I appreciate all the insight. I'll call the shelter tomorrow. From what I've heard, the cat shelter here is always full, so I'll probably have to board him at the clinic.

My problem with this outlook is it should be the owner's choice you do this. I don't feel someone else should make choices for my animals outside of life threatening emergencies.
I guess I see it as threatening A LOT of animals lives as they end up euthanized in shelters. I see and respect your point of view, but ethically I care more about the cat, and other animals in the area than I do about the potential owner (that may or may not exist).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My friend had two intact male cats in her apartment for THREE YEARS!! She'd have sent nudes to people if they neutered them for her. When I found out, I was like "girl, why didn't you tell me? I could have totally helped with finding affordable neutering for you."
I recently had a basically "emergency" neuter on a young adult cat who dared pee on a laundry basket. I think the couple who owned him almost kissed me when I said we could get him in the next day. :laugh:

I guess I've been involved with TNR a bit too long to feel too upset about someone neutering an intact male cat without weeks of hunting for permission. Vast vast majority of intact cats in my world are unowne, and shelter euth rate for cats is... 80%ish, last I checked. I'm happy for there to be less active cat balls in my world.

Reactions: 3 users
I guess I see it as threatening A LOT of animals lives as they end up euthanized in shelters. I see and respect your point of view, but ethically I care more about the cat, and other animals in the area than I do about the potential owner (that may or may not exist).

I can see this point too, and it definitely has strong merit to it. I'm just paranoid about the slippery slope aspect of it.

Denver Animal Shelter is currently dealing with a lawsuit in regards with the shelter's vet performing surgery on some owned French bulldogs before doing the due diligence to confirm they were owned. There's obvious differences (possibly unowned cat vs show bulldogs), but it does show that there are only a few steps between not being sued and being sued when following through on good intentions without legal permission from an owner. Personally not worth it to me.

I can see this point too, and it definitely has strong merit to it. I'm just paranoid about the slippery slope aspect of it.

Denver Animal Shelter is currently dealing with a lawsuit in regards with the shelter's vet performing surgery on some owned French bulldogs before doing the due diligence to confirm they were owned. There's obvious differences (possibly unowned cat vs show bulldogs), but it does show that there are only a few steps between not being sued and being sued when following through on good intentions without legal permission from an owner. Personally not worth it to me.
I agree there is a big difference in this country when it comes to dogs. At least where I live, stray dogs aren’t a thing. Stray/feral cats are everywhere though, and I’ve yet to see spaying/neutering of stray cats being a problem. Ear tipping has pissed off a few people, but never to the point where it became a legal issue, most just assumed their cat got into a fight, some didn’t even notice the lack of balls.

I agree there is a big difference in this country when it comes to dogs. At least where I live, stray dogs aren’t a thing. Stray/feral cats are everywhere though, and I’ve yet to see spaying/neutering of stray cats being a problem. Ear tipping has pissed off a few people, but never to the point where it became a legal issue, most just assumed their cat got into a fight, some didn’t even notice the lack of balls.
Come to Detroit, we have big packs of feral dogs that attack people walking on the sidewalk. I've read anywhere from 1000-50,000 dogs. At least one story about these dogs mauling/killing someone that makes the news every year.

It's a shame, I've seen some in person (from the safety of a car...) and if they had the right temperament, they'd get adopted fast. Most are pits or really cute shepherd/husky looking mixes. As far as I know, there's no effort to start and sterilization program or anything. In some neighborhoods, they get fed and are decent dogs, just skittish/territorial. In the deserted parts of town, the dogs are completely feral and extremely dangerous.

Anybody who lets their cat roam without a collar or microchip doesn't deserve the pet. Anybody who lets their cat roam period doesn't deserve the pet. We don't allow dogs/pigs/horses/ferrets to roam the streets, so why is it okay to allow cats to roam?

If someone is ignorant enough to let their cat roam without any idenfication and doesn't even come looking for the cat, well, they're out of luck. If I had my own car, every cat that ended up on my property without a collar/microship would be going to the shelter. If the owner gave a darn, one of the first places they would call to report their cat missing would be the shelter :p

I don't know of any laws in my area... I can ask the shelter next time I'm in to volunteer. I don't really know much about it... I'd like to though... I went to a talk a few years ago about animals in the law. In the law, animals are considered "objects" or "property". I donno... if someone put their TV in my yard and I take it, they have no legal basis on demanding I give it back, right?

Someone enlighten me.
Pure ignorance right here...Dumbest comment I have ever read. That's like telling me I shouldn't let my kids play outside. They aren't chipped and they don't wear collars. My cat is like my kid. Guess we should start having the birds, mice, squirrels, rats, bunnies, possums, raccoons and anything else that moves locked up somewhere! Dogs can KILL people, that is the reason they shouldn't be roaming around but a cat...seriously.
Seems to me that you don't care for cats much!

Pure ignorance right here...Dumbest comment I have ever read. That's like telling me I shouldn't let my kids play outside. They aren't chipped and they don't wear collars. My cat is like my kid. Guess we should start having the birds, mice, squirrels, rats, bunnies, possums, raccoons and anything else that moves locked up somewhere! Dogs can KILL people, that is the reason they shouldn't be roaming around but a cat...seriously.
That poster hasn't been on SDN since 2011

Reactions: 4 users
If your cat is like your kid, why would you let it outside, to get hit by a car, attacked by an animal, etc? And then you're comparing domestic cats to presumably a list of wild animals. Your comment doesn't make any sense. Cats aren't children, and they don't act like it.

And also, there are plenty of other reasons not to let your dog roam besides it potentially hurting people.

Reactions: 3 users

:troll:

This person literally joined today...just to make this comment...on someone's post from 2010.

Reactions: 2 users
:troll:

This person literally joined today...just to make this comment...on someone's post from 2010.
Sorry lol. It's a topic I am passionate about, obviously. And I am always up for a good debate. But you are totally right.