September PCAT Prelim Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nxq875

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished taking the PCAT for the first time, hope everyone did well on their test!
Just thought to make a thread to see how everyone else did on their preliminary report

Verbal SS: 419 PR: 78
Biology SS: 440 PR: 95
Reading SS: 442 PR: 98
Math SS: 447 PR: 97
Chemistry SS: 449 PR: 97
Composite SS: 439 PR: 98

I studied for a good 3 months using Dr. Collins packets and Cracking the PCAT software as well as all 3 of the Pearson Practice Exams. I will also be interested in selling the 2014 Dr. Collins packets soon, if anyone is interested. If you're taking an October exam or have already been invited for interviews, best of wishes!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you get to know the scores at the end of the exam? How did you know your scores?(I have not taken PCAT yet so I am not familiar with how it goes in a real test.)
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
Just finished taking the PCAT for the first time, hope everyone did well on their test!
Just thought to make a thread to see how everyone else did on their preliminary report

I studied for a good 3 months using Dr. Collins packets and Cracking the PCAT software as well as all 3 of the Pearson Practice Exams. I will also be interested in selling the 2014 Dr. Collins packets soon, if anyone is interested. If you're taking an October exam or have already been invited for interviews, best of wishes!

Wow, great job! You did great on every section. Was Dr collins helpful for all the sections?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you get to know the scores at the end of the exam? How did you know your scores?(I have not taken PCAT yet so I am not familiar with how it goes in a real test.)
Thanks in advance!
You get a preliminary report (computerized exam) of all your sections and composite (other than writing). It's pretty accurate and shouldn't deviate much from your finalized and formal report they send you about 5 weeks later.

Dr. Collins was definitely helpful, I saw a lot of similar types of questions on the PCAT. Time management is the hardest part of the exam in my opinion, gotta keep tabs on how long each question is taking, and when to flag for review and move on.

i took it today as well, i was wondering if you guys have any advice you guys can give me on my scores?
i was also wondering if the preliminary report is the same as the official one?

Verbal SS: 416 PR: 74
Biology SS: 455 PR: 99
Reading SS: 382 PR: 20
Math SS: 407 PR: 61
Chemistry SS: 463 PR: 99
Composite SS: 425 PR: 91

Reading scores are horrible i couldn't concentrate at all and the passages were long as hell, pretty much impossible to finish in time i had to guess on a lot of questions....

I just did mine today.
The reading was terrible. It felt endless and it wasn't that well done.
I'm probably retaking the PCAT due to the low English scores...

Verbal 401 49
Biology 440 95
Reading 374 12
Quantitative 423 85
Chemistry 426 85
Comp 413 74

I just did mine today.
The reading was terrible. It felt endless and it wasn't that well done.
I'm probably retaking the PCAT due to the low English scores...

Verbal 401 49
Biology 440 95
Reading 374 12
Quantitative 423 85
Chemistry 426 85
Comp 413 74

Reading always kills me too but superb job on your sciences and math!

How did you like the crack the PCAT software? Was it helpful/similar Qs to what was on the PCAT or would you consider Dr. Collins to still be the frontrunner in terms of pcat prep?

Thanks! That passion for science paid off.
Reading was a big bummer, I didn't even have the time to go over it.

I'm so nervous for the reading!! Pearson RC was nothing similar to PCAT RC!!! Its more like MCAT type passages!!! Fml

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you like the crack the PCAT software? Was it helpful/similar Qs to what was on the PCAT or would you consider Dr. Collins to still be the frontrunner in terms of pcat prep?
I only used the software sparingly, mainly to get used to the computerized format. Dr. Collins still hands down for content.

I'm so nervous for the reading!! Pearson RC was nothing similar to PCAT RC!!! Its more like MCAT type passages!!! Fml
The content of the reading passages weren't too bad, but they were different. Dr. Collins and Pearson mainly had science based passages, but the ones I got on the test were more over the sociology. The difficulty was similar though.

Ok cool - I did all the same. Really hoping for those scores to jump up! Retaking the pcat tomorrow at 4pm ahh

It was NOTHING alike. It's at LEAST 2 -3 paragraphs longer. It was a minimum 6 paragraphs. Took up way to much time to read and understand.
Its not hard in terms of vocabulary of the text but it's hard when you have to go through 6 passages.

Reactions: 1 users
The content of the reading passages weren't too bad, but they were different. Dr. Collins and Pearson mainly had science based passages, but the ones I got on the test were more over the sociology. The difficulty was similar though.
I had I think 1 or 2 science-based. One was about politics and tax............ I was stumped

I thought the length didn't really bother me, the actual level of difficulty reading was easier than the practices I did, so I finished with time to spare

One good thing about today's PCAT was that the writing section wasn't like the practice ones. It was a much broader topic and not focused about US problems (cause as a Canadian, I'm actually not very knowledgeable in that area). Mine was about pollution.

One good thing about today's PCAT was that the writing section wasn't like the practice ones. It was a much broader topic and not focused about US problems (cause as a Canadian, I'm actually not very knowledgeable in that area). Mine was about pollution.

I'm not from the US or from Canada (studying in a US college though) but I will be applying to U of Toronto.
Are you also considering U of Toronto? On their website they seem to have set thresholds for different areas on the PCAT.....
I took the PCAT yesterday and I bombed the VA and RC parts (30th percentile and 26th respectively.....), but I got 99th in bio, chem and math, and a composite of 99th.
The threshold seems to be 20th for both parts, but then again they are just thresholds....they probably expect more. Do you think I should retake it? And btw the reading was ridiculous.... I also read a passage about tax and politics........TROUBLING...........

What did you think of the quant section?? was it similar to dr C/pearson tests?? and just try to do the easy ones first?

What did you think of the quant section?? was it similar to dr C/pearson tests?? and just try to do the easy ones first?
i took the PCAT today and i thought that in terms of content the Quant on the real thing was very similar to the PPT. Although i got like 2-3 questions that were similar to collins

I'm not from the US or from Canada (studying in a US college though) but I will be applying to U of Toronto.
Are you also considering U of Toronto? On their website they seem to have set thresholds for different areas on the PCAT.....
I took the PCAT yesterday and I bombed the VA and RC parts (30th percentile and 26th respectively.....), but I got 99th in bio, chem and math, and a composite of 99th.
The threshold seems to be 20th for both parts, but then again they are just thresholds....they probably expect more. Do you think I should retake it? And btw the reading was ridiculous.... I also read a passage about tax and politics........TROUBLING...........
YES THAT PASSAGE. I had so many troubles reading it. Yes I'm applying to UofT, and yes these are just thresholds that they set as a minimum for their acceptance. It may change though. And retaking it is definitely a risk, but at the same time if you're sure you can 100% raise your mark, I would say go for it. Cause I am. I rather have a lower science mark just to bump up my English. Because in this case, I might not get through the first round because of English (which is depressing).

YES THAT PASSAGE. I had so many troubles reading it. Yes I'm applying to UofT, and yes these are just thresholds that they set as a minimum for their acceptance. It may change though. And retaking it is definitely a risk, but at the same time if you're sure you can 100% raise your mark, I would say go for it. Cause I am. I rather have a lower science mark just to bump up my English. Because in this case, I might not get through the first round because of English (which is depressing).
I wonder if U of T places emphasis on verbal and reading. I read from other posts that some schools really don't care about verbal or reading (also writing). Don't know if I should believe it. I certainly don't want to retake it JUST because of English, especially when it's not my first language and I'm not sure if I can make any improvements.
Also, U of T is like the only school that requires PCAT among those that I'm applying to. But I really care about it because I absolutely have no pharmacy experience and they seem to not look at experience (?).... I don't know of anyone also applying to this specific school, do you have any idea on how they view pharmacy experience? Like will they challenge you or be very harsh on you during the interview if you don't have any experience?

I wonder if U of T places emphasis on verbal and reading. I read from other posts that some schools really don't care about verbal or reading (also writing). Don't know if I should believe it. I certainly don't want to retake it JUST because of English, especially when it's not my first language and I'm not sure if I can make any improvements.
Also, U of T is like the only school that requires PCAT among those that I'm applying to. But I really care about it because I absolutely have no pharmacy experience and they seem to not look at experience (?).... I don't know of anyone also applying to this specific school, do you have any idea on how they view pharmacy experience? Like will they challenge you or be very harsh on you during the interview if you don't have any experience?

The interviews are MMIs so they don't really test you on specific pharmacy experience. Obviously having that kind of experience will help but it's not necessary to do well.

The interviews are MMIs so they don't really test you on specific pharmacy experience. Obviously having that kind of experience will help but it's not necessary to do well.

Like what PocketJacks said, interviews are MMI round robin format. They don't look at pharmacy experience but I know that University of Waterloo does if you apply there. The interview really varies. I haven't had a chance to experience it myself. Applying this year. I'm surprised that you're applying to UofT when you're in USA. Wouldn't you need to travel here for the interview?

Quantitative section was by far my roughest section, barely had time to complete all the questions and I guessed on the last 3-4 questions that I had marked earlier on for skip

Just finished taking the 8am one and my scores are:

Verbal-35
Biology-95
Chemistry-98 "was aiming for 99 lol"
Reading-07 I dont understand this
Quant-91
Comp-81

I thought I did amazing in reading I read each passage first then answered all the questions for each passage and was happy that id get at least a 50 then I seen that like wtf! If it was just a 25 it would put me in the 90s percentile easily but overall im satisfied with the three main ones...

Just finished taking the 8am one and my scores are:

Verbal-35
Biology-95
Chemistry-98 "was aiming for 99 lol"
Reading-07 I dont understand this
Quant-91
Comp-81

I thought I did amazing in reading I read each passage first then answered all the questions for each passage and was happy that id get at least a 50 then I seen that like wtf! If it was just a 25 it would put me in the 90s percentile easily but overall im satisfied with the three main ones...

I took the 8 am one too yesterday. ): Good job on the other ones though!

Just finished the 8 AM PCAT today. Hope everyone else did well! Here are my scores:

Verbal 427 PR: 87
Biology 425 PR: 84
Reading 413 PR: 75
Quantitative 423 PR: 85
Chemistry 405 PR: 56
Comp 419 PR: 84

I feel like I didn't do well on the writing section, since I didn't have time to fully plan it out and whatnot. What do you guys think? Everyone else seems to have scored around the same area.

I didn't do that well on the writing pt, too...but who cares about the writing section at this point?!! Aren't you just happy it's over ;)?
Just finished the 8 AM PCAT today. Hope everyone else did well! Here are my scores:

Verbal 427 PR: 87
Biology 425 PR: 84
Reading 413 PR: 75
Quantitative 423 PR: 85
Chemistry 405 PR: 56
Comp 419 PR: 84

I feel like I didn't do well on the writing section, since I didn't have time to fully plan it out and whatnot. What do you guys think? Everyone else seems to have scored around the same area.

Verbal: SS 432 PR 91
Biology: SS 466 PR 99
Reading: SS 420 PR 85
Quantitative: SS 430 PR 91
Chemistry: SS 485 PR 99
Composite: 447 PR 99

I found the Verbal section to be easier than anticipated (not too many difficult words). I didn't do as well on reading comprehension, since I found the reading passages to be longer than on the practice exams I took, so I was a little pressured for time at the end. The math section was definitely tougher than on the practice tests, mostly because I had a number of questions from a few topics that I hadn't really focused on. But I really can't complain about my score. I actually started dancing in the testing center when the proctor handed me my piece of paper. :)

I started doing a little bit of studying in June, but didn't really start focusing until the beginning of August. I used "Cracking the PCAT" and the Kaplan book, watched lots of videos from Khan Academy and various Youtube channels, and listened to "Word Smart" in the car while driving to and from work to try and help improve my vocabulary. I didn't take any of the Pearson practice tests, but I took the two Kaplan online tests and found that they did a pretty good job of preparing me for the exam. I also spent a lot of time doing practice essays by taking the various prompts from the Kaplan book, and wrote essays with spell-check turned off on the computer with the timer going, since writing is one of my weaker points.

I am a little confused on the scoring.. how do I know my score? I got the sheet and everything today. but which one tells me my score? the composite ss or the composite pr?

Just took mine today.

Verbal SS: 416 PR: 74
Biology SS: 421 PR: 79
RC SS: 407 PR: 64
Quantitative Ability SS: 420 PR: 82
Chemistry SS: 472 PR: 99
Composite SS: 427 PR: 92

Reading comp was pretty nasty. I knew it was going to be my worst section. Whatever. Best of luck to everyone that is taking it!

I just wrote mine at 8 am today.

Verbal 58
Biology 84
RC 45
Quantitative 95
Chemistry 97
Composite - 89 :)

Used collins and I credit all that to my score. Good luck everyone!

I'm happy! Bombed the reading comprehension but did really well in bio, chem, and math and mediocre for verbal. All using 2013 Dr Collins which is available for sale.

Lol, same here! I didn't do too good on the reading but I did really well in chem, bio and math.
If I did well on bio and chem, but low in reading, do I really need to retake the exam?!
I have a feeling if I retake it, I'm not going to do as well as I did today in chem and bio.

Lol, same here! I didn't do too good on the reading but I did really well in chem, bio and math.
If I did well on bio and chem, but low in reading, do I really need to retake the exam?!
I have a feeling if I retake it, I'm not going to do as well as I did today in chem and bio.

Hmm how low are we talking about? I think you should be fine if you did well in the three you mentioned! I got a 49 in verbal, but I am not going to retake the test.. Seriously I am done with this type of tests.. too stressful! :< And I believe if you did well today, you will do well again next time, but I won't really recommend it