September PCAT Prelim Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nxq875

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished taking the PCAT for the first time, hope everyone did well on their test!
Just thought to make a thread to see how everyone else did on their preliminary report

Verbal SS: 419 PR: 78
Biology SS: 440 PR: 95
Reading SS: 442 PR: 98
Math SS: 447 PR: 97
Chemistry SS: 449 PR: 97
Composite SS: 439 PR: 98

I studied for a good 3 months using Dr. Collins packets and Cracking the PCAT software as well as all 3 of the Pearson Practice Exams. I will also be interested in selling the 2014 Dr. Collins packets soon, if anyone is interested. If you're taking an October exam or have already been invited for interviews, best of wishes!

Members don't see this ad.

See the specific pharmacy school's requirements for pcats (some schools wants you to get at least a specific percentile on each of the sections, while others only care about the composite)

I just wrote mine at 8 am today.

Verbal 58
Biology 84
RC 45
Quantitative 95
Chemistry 97
Composite - 89 :)

Used collins and I credit all that to my score. Good luck everyone!

Hey so you didnt use any study guide apart from Dr. collins ? and How long (months or weeks) and hours a day did u study for ?
thanks

Like what PocketJacks said, interviews are MMI round robin format. They don't look at pharmacy experience but I know that University of Waterloo does if you apply there. The interview really varies. I haven't had a chance to experience it myself. Applying this year. I'm surprised that you're applying to UofT when you're in USA. Wouldn't you need to travel here for the interview?

Yeah... I will have to make some travels.... But I think I don't have much chance in US schools because they seem to all look at pharmacy experience, so I thought I might have a better chance in U of T. For Waterloo I didn't look at their website very carefully, but it seemed to me that they are offering a bachelor's degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey so you didnt use any study guide apart from Dr. collins ? and How long (months or weeks) and hours a day did u study for ?
thanks
I used the Kaplan for biology only. For all the other sections I used Dr Collins for about a month. I saw many questions repeated from his practice tests throughout the pcat. I also used the 3 pearson tests as they were the closest in terms of simulating real test conditions.

I took mine on Thursday and reading was horrible. It was mostly sociology based questions, such as politics and taxes. It was just really boring to read and the questions were very difficult.

Verbal: 78
Biology: 99
Chemistry: 99
Reading 21 wth
Quantitative Ability: 93
Composite: 96

I feel as though the reading section is not a good gauge of knowledge as people will do better if their interested in a certain topic compared to those that aren't.

I just took the Friday exam! First time taking the PCAT and I was really nervous. However, I was pleasantly surprised with my scores!

Verbal - 96
Bio - 97
Reading - 66 - :confused: oops!
Quantitative - 97
Chem - 95
Composite - 98 !!

On most standardized tests I do my best in the reading sections, so I didn't really study for it because I didn't have enough time. I would definitely advise you to do practice tests for it, even if you're an avid reader! I didn't practice because I read all the time, but I found myself getting easily distracted because the passages were LONG (4-9 paragraphs). And the answer options were very similar to each other, making it difficult to make a choice. I ended up running out of time and had to make some guesses. Also, I didn't take the optional 15 minute break that you get between the chem and reading which might have helped. Had I done better focusing on that part of the exam, I might have gotten a 99! Oh well.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey so here's my score:

Chem 97
Math 95
Bio 89
Verbal 70
Reading 16
Composite 88

I'm not a native speaker... Do you think I need to retake pcat just bc of reading?

I doubt I can improve it since questions are mainly about the authors feeling and tone rather than the actual reading itself.. :/

Just finished taking the PCAT for the first time, hope everyone did well on their test!
Just thought to make a thread to see how everyone else did on their preliminary report

I studied for a good 3 months using Dr. Collins packets and Cracking the PCAT software as well as all 3 of the Pearson Practice Exams. I will also be interested in selling the 2014 Dr. Collins packets soon, if anyone is interested. If you're taking an October exam or have already been invited for interviews, best of wishes!
Where did you get the cracking the PCAT software? It's not a book anymore? Ive been looking for it

I actually saw the Ad for it on these forums, try googling it, the software website should pop up

I'm not sure how I feel about my scores -- took them yesterday. I know my reading/ verbal is pretty low due to the fact I didn't put any emphasis on these sections.
Verbal SS: 395 PR: 38
Biology SS: 421 PR: 79
Reading SS: 383 PR: 23
Quantitative SS: 430 PR: 91
Chemistry SS: 434 PR: 91
Composite 74

I thought I did better on my biology and the quantitative section I left about like ~5 questions blank since I ran out of time. Thoughts on my scores? Retake?

I actually found the Pearson practice reading comprehension tougher in terms of content
I did pretty fantastic on Pearson RC, scoring in the 80-99. My biggest issues with the September essays were that they were 1) significantly longer than any essay in practice tests ( both Pearson and Kaplan some by 2 paragraphs!) and 2) horrid on content. Going in to pharmacy I can comprehend articles on ADHD in young kids, diabetes in overweight adults, hypertension and drug therapies. I simply do not understand how they relate that skill to reading and understanding an essay about philosophy, ethics and taxes...... Troubling.

Reactions: 1 users
Just took mine today at 8 am. Not a 99 club but I'm so relieved it's in the 90's considering I went very hard and stressed for 2.5 weeks. Also got ripped off a whole 10 min on RC due to computer timing... as if!
How likely are my scores to change? Does the essay part change your composite? That I can tell will be very bad....

VR: 78 (Pleasantly surprised!)
Bio: 92
Chem: 98
RC: 47 (had to guess 1.5 psgs due to error)
Quant: 93

Composite: 93

If it wasn't for that RC time error I feel I could've had better score but I can't complain. Thankful and happy to put this on the side for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took mine today at 8 am. Not a 99 club but I'm so relieved it's in the 90's considering I went very hard and stressed for 2.5 weeks. Also got ripped off a whole 10 min on RC due to computer timing... as if!
How likely are my scores to change? Does the essay part change your composite? That I can tell will be very bad....

VR: 78 (Pleasantly surprised!)
Bio: 92
Chem: 98
RC: 47 (had to guess 1.5 psgs due to error)
Quant: 93

Composite: 93

If it wasn't for that RC time error I feel I could've had better score but I can't complain. Thankful and happy to put this on the side for now.

What did you use to study?

Also for bio/chem did you end up doing the passages as if they were scored?

What did you use to study?

Also for bio/chem did you end up doing the passages as if they were scored?

Nothing extraordinary outside of what people mention on here...

Big shout out to DR. Collins tests and content, they are UP to their hype on this forum! Golden practice questions, and tell you exactly what you need to study. I can see if you are very new to some topics, Dr. collins could be frustrating. You know your self, so make sure you supplement using other sources to UNDERSTAND processes from internet or books to first LEARN, then use Dr. Collins to read what you should focus on for PCAT, memorize and practice. For a tip: Chemistry/Biochemistry is pure gold in practice and content for Dr. Collins. If you understand it all on there, you are set for a high score! Also Verbal is amazing! Memorize every single word on there!! I used a q-card app on my phone. It didnt disappoint!!

Personally I used: Dr. Collins for all, Kaplan for Math (weaaak) and Biology (decent!), and I used my notes I prepared earlier in the year when I was studying for my MCAT from TPR Bio. I personally recommend this over Kaplan PCAT bio if you are very new to many topics especially physiology! So thankful I had this to save me time researching things.
I also bought Pearson Practice test 2 and 4. Background knowledge in these topics helps a lot!

As for doing the passages - personally I did them last (though I was crunched for time, and were just a tiny bit tougher than on those practice exams). Still I think I managed to do all questions and thought it was Ok in fairness. I cannot say for sure if they count or not though...My guess is there is potential it might for one and not the other or both. Definitely don't skip them. Not worth the risk!!

I got in the 50th percentile :( I used Kaplan which was honestly no help. I had to go look at my personal notes from school majority of the time. I was wondering where is everyone getting dr collins from Since the retail is pretty pricy

I got in the 50th percentile :( I used Kaplan which was honestly no help. I had to go look at my personal notes from school majority of the time. I was wondering where is everyone getting dr collins from Since the retail is pretty pricy

there are people her selling it for 150
.. check the sales part of student doctor. Good luck

I didn't notice anyone posting a U of T pharm 2015 admission cycle yet
Definitely NOT..How long did u study for ? and what study guide did you uae ? Thanks

I bought dr collins' package in July.
Studied chem for 3 weeks(collins-MUST HAVE), then bio in 1 week(collins/kaplan), math 1 week(collins), verbal 1/2 week(collins), none for reading and a few days for the essay. I spent 3 more weeks doing practice tests from dr. collins package sparingly, and the last 3 days days before the PCAT I spent doing pearson practice tests. I suggest doing the pearson practice tests earlier than I have.

I didn't notice anyone posting a U of T pharm 2015 admission cycle yet

I bought dr collins' package in July.
Studied chem for 3 weeks(collins-MUST HAVE), then bio in 1 week(collins/kaplan), math 1 week(collins), verbal 1/2 week(collins), none for reading and a few days for the essay. I spent 3 more weeks doing practice tests from dr. collins package sparingly, and the last 3 days days before the PCAT I spent doing pearson practice tests. I suggest doing the pearson practice tests earlier than I have.

Am curious ... How many hours a day were you actually putting into studying ? did you study everyday ? or somedays u didnt study?
Do u mean university of texas or toronto ?

Am curious ... How many hours a day were you actually putting into studying ? did you study everyday ? or somedays u didnt study?
Do u mean university of texas or toronto ?
Toronto
some days I did 5h+ and some 1h. It really depended on how much I could focus that day. One time I went 3 or 4 days without studying. it really depends on you

Toronto
some days I did 5h+ and some 1h. It really depended on how much I could focus that day. One time I went 3 or 4 days without studying. it really depends on you
Haha same here, some days I felt like studying, other days I slacked xD

whats ur tip for the reading section.. how did u handle the reading on the exam..thanks

Honestly speaking, I'm kinda glad to see some people actually did bad on the RC section. I was also one of the ones who took the test with the infamous "politcal and tax" related passage. After I saw my RC score, I honestly thought I had some kind of mental problem for doing so poorly lol. I found someone who gave me an AMAZING deal for $250 for both Dr. Collins (with all the updates) and PCAT Destroyer and plan to re-take it in late October so we'll see how that goes.

whats ur tip for the reading section.. how did u handle the reading on the exam..thanks
I actually thought the reading section was easier than the practice ones. I read a lot of books back in high school and prior, and it helped me gain a lot of speed in skimming through passages. I wouldn't actually "hardcore" read the first time through, but rather skim and pick out main ideas to answer the "overall passage" questions. But if the question demanded a specific analysis of a paragraph, I would reskim it before answering. All about speed, I finished the RC section with 10 min~ to spare.

Verbal: 82
Biology:89
Reading: 97
Quant:55
Chem: 41
Composite: 82
I have a 3.87 GPA, and shadowing experience in a few different settings. I am assuming I should retake.. But just wanted to hear the opinion of others! Thanks

Chem is weighed heavily in PCAT, so I dont know how much that will influence your overall application. But a composite score of 82 isn't bad.

Verbal: 91
Biology: 95
RC: 99
QA: 95
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 98

I took most of my classes from 07-09, so it's been a while. I spent most of the month of May studying, then slacked off until 2-3 weeks before the test (9/5). I used mostly the Princeton Review for studying and Kaplan for the practice tests. I think my biggest advantage was my test taking ability, not necessarily my knowledge. A lot of it is about budgeting time during the test.

I did not study for the verbal or RC sections.

Verbal: 91
Biology: 95
RC: 99
QA: 95
Chemistry: 95
Composite: 98

I took most of my classes from 07-09, so it's been a while. I spent most of the month of May studying, then slacked off until 2-3 weeks before the test (9/5). I used mostly the Princeton Review for studying and Kaplan for the practice tests. I think my biggest advantage was my test taking ability, not necessarily my knowledge. A lot of it is about budgeting time during the test.

I did not study for the verbal or RC sections.

wow how did u handle reading and verbal during the test ? ...pls need tips

Not sure if you guys know, or how long it has been since, but i wrote sept. 11 and my official scores are up! lol.
Just letting you all know just in case you haven't checked.

Not sure if you guys know, or how long it has been since, but i wrote sept. 11 and my official scores are up! lol.
Just letting you all know just in case you haven't checked.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOO i thought my writing sucked but i got 4.5!

So happy my scores didn't change!! Does anyone know what is considered a "good" writing score? Like what would be the lowest you would recommend it being? I know it doesn't matter too much, just curious.

Yeah... I will have to make some travels.... But I think I don't have much chance in US schools because they seem to all look at pharmacy experience, so I thought I might have a better chance in U of T. For Waterloo I didn't look at their website very carefully, but it seemed to me that they are offering a bachelor's degree?

Waterloo is offering PharmD as well as Toronto.

I just did mine today.
The reading was terrible. It felt endless and it wasn't that well done.
I'm probably retaking the PCAT due to the low English scores...

Verbal 401 49
Biology 440 95
Reading 374 12
Quantitative 423 85
Chemistry 426 85
Comp 413 74
Nice scores!

Quantitative section was by far my roughest section, barely had time to complete all the questions and I guessed on the last 3-4 questions that I had marked earlier on for skip
but how do u do so well on math? Collins mainly? I didn't look much at collins math but it seems too easy for the pcat. is the collins easier and yr suppose to intergrate those smaller ideas into bigger questions on pcat math?

I felt like Collins was a little bit too easy as well. Look over the calculus portion a bit more, and definitely lean more on the side of the Pearson reviews for the Math Section.

I thought the crack pcat software was really helpful for math, so many practise questions. Not too helpful for other sections though cause it doesn't seem to be keeping up to date with the changes of the test.
I'd recommend buying the Pearson practises tests and doing the entire tests in one sitting each. What I did was do the test one day, take a break for the evening and spend the next day thoroughly reviewing the test including the answer I got right.
Make sure on test day you answer all the ones you can do quickly first and then go back and do the harder ones or the ones you thought would take you time. Math has always been my worst subject in school but I did well on quantatatice because I practised lot and knew when to move on. Most people do poorly because they don't finish

i took it today as well, i was wondering if you guys have any advice you guys can give me on my scores?
i was also wondering if the preliminary report is the same as the official one?

Verbal SS: 416 PR: 74
Biology SS: 455 PR: 99
Reading SS: 382 PR: 20
Math SS: 407 PR: 61
Chemistry SS: 463 PR: 99
Composite SS: 425 PR: 91

Reading scores are horrible i couldn't concentrate at all and the passages were long as hell, pretty much impossible to finish in time i had to guess on a lot of questions....
My reading was poor too a 22 I think. It was never an issue at any schools I applied to.

Got a 86% using Collins alone. You don't need to study anything else. They basically cover all bases on the exam. EEEAAASSYYY! Just study their study guide and you will be good to go and practice time management with their tests. Hope this helps.

i took it today as well, i was wondering if you guys have any advice you guys can give me on my scores?

Reading scores are horrible i couldn't concentrate at all and the passages were long as hell, pretty much impossible to finish in time i had to guess on a lot of questions....

I actually managed to finish the reading section and scored a 99 composite for that section (81 overall). But, it was extremely difficult. I am a very fast reader and I finished with 15 seconds remaining. I would definitely recommend anyone to practice these beforehand and keep an eye on time. I didn't practice or try and get acclimated to doing so many so quickly, but I wish I would have.

How did you efficiently do well on the bio questions with passages? Read everything first or read/analyze figures as you answer each question?
I had troubles with those 10+ questions and they slowed me down a lot.
Dr. Collins bio section didn't have those mini passages like the pcat so I did poorly on thise questions and spent too much time on them