Should I cancel and apply late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rntomd70

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I take the MCAT tomorrow and my Kaplan practice tests are between 496-500. Have been studying part time for about 2 months. Took the AAMC practice test today and 496.

Ideally I would like to go DO

Should I just take test and if I feel good then submit it and if not then void?

Or should I cancel and take the test mid July giving me 7 more study weeks? At the same time I do not want to apply late and hurt my chances. Any feedback would be great.

GPA overall 3.95
GPA science 3.93
Bachelors of Nursing
1000+ hours of patient exposure. Work in the OR
250 hours in cancer research with professor on campus with two poster presentations
Lots of leadership hours
600 hours volunteering in food banks, search and rescue, and blood drives.
60 hours of shadowing

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would cancel it. It's not worth scoring it and risking a low score. The practice test score has been pretty indicative of actual. Add in the fact that you will be tired tomorrow do to taking the practice test today. It's not worth it. Id either push fr the late June or early July and take it then when you are more ready.

When you guys say "cancel" what do you mean? I was under the impression that the only way to cancel now is to just not show up tomorrow

Well I took half of it last night and the other half this morning. Cancel as not show up.

What do you think about submitting it if I feel great? and Voiding if I feel alright or bad about my performance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest taking the test in one sitting (you have 2 so if you used one already, try the other one out). I did something like what you said and my test score was lower because of not sitting it all at once.

Most ppl are going to suggest to show up and void the test at the end. Might as well get a really good practice test out of it.

Sent from my LGLS990 using SDN mobile

No way I would score your test tomorrow. All the answer choices can sound great to you and that's how the question makers like it. Every CARS answer sounds like the right answer! I would delay it until you score 500+ on any test you take, regardless of the test prep company. I would delay a year if I have to.

A void or no show is equivalent, so I would just void to get the experience.

I wouldn't score with an official practice of 496 just before

Just went in, took the first section and it felt bad! So skipped the rest of the test and voided. Thanks for the advise now back to the books!

As far as my next test, looking at july 9 or july 22. Would July 22 be too late? I plan on having application submitted and whatever secondaries I receive done.

As far as my next test, looking at july 9 or july 22. Would July 22 be too late? I plan on having application submitted and whatever secondaries I receive done.
technically it would be but we are this point where application quality is more valuable. I wouldn't be so hopeful during this cycle but just focus on your application and mcat as of now and apply broadly.