Should I retake DAT for better options or just enroll into NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

urMDandDDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time posting, I was accepted into NYU with the following stats:

2.69 cPA with upward trend, 3.3 GPA in junior and senior year
3.0 BCP GPA
Biology and Sociology major
17 AA, 17 TS, 18 PAT taken July 2014 DAT
50 shadowing hours with a GPR
100 research hours, no publications
URM: Jamaican and Haitian background.

Should I do a masters and retake the DAT to try to get into a better dental school for next year? I applied to NYU and 6 other schools, but NYU was the only school to accept me. Or should I just go to NYU? I am interested in doing a OMFS residency after dental school, and wanted to know if NYU was a good school to help me achieve my goals. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't go to NYU if I wanted to specialize but I also definitely wouldn't risk turning down an acceptance to try again next cycle. Go to NYU and prepare to work really hard to be a competitive enough candidate for an OMFS residency.

Reactions: 5 users
Count your blessings. Seriously.

Reactions: 28 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of someone getting into dental school with a 2.6 GPA and a low DAT...... your extracurricular activities are under average too

did you have really strong essays? theres no guarantee you would get accepted next year
I think you should stick with NYU.

Reactions: 11 users
Buy the largest candle you can carry, take it to your nearest church, synagogue, mosque, temple and light it.

Reactions: 49 users
Good lord. No. Just feel extremely fortunate and blessed that your URM status propelled you into an acceptance. It's times like these that really makes the ADA admissions process hard to swallow.

You have shown nothing academically to suggest you're mentally capable in a dental curriculum. Beyond your mediocre extracurriculars, a 3.0 sGPA with a 17 AA, 17 TS is absolutely dreadful - applicants of that nature, across all demographics, have virtually a 0% chance for interviews (nevermind admission entry) with the exception of major URM rarities, you being one of them. You honestly have no business being preferred into dental school over other highly qualified applicants with a better holistic profile and performance metrics, and it shocks me that you wouldn't possess the basic cognizance to understand that. Your lack of common sense alone to realize this opportunity supports that you probably shouldn't be in dental school right now.

Go to NYU and smile ear-to-ear each morning knowing you dodged a critical life roadblock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 52 users
Good lord. No. Just feel extremely fortunate and blessed that your URM status propelled you into an acceptance. It's times like these that really makes the ADA admissions process hard to swallow.

Beyond your mediocre extracurriculars, a 3.0 sGPA with a 17 AA, 17 TS is absolutely dreadful - applicants of that nature, across all demographics, have virtually a 0% chance for interviews (nevermind admission entry) with the exception of major URM rarities, you being one of them. You honestly have no business being preferred into dental school over other highly qualified applicants with a better holistic profile, and it shocks me that you wouldn't possess the cognizance to understand that.

Go to NYU and realize you dodged a critical life roadblock.
savage

Reactions: 24 users

Beyond your mediocre extracurriculars, a 3.0 sGPA with a 17 AA, 17 TS is absolutely dreadful - applicants of that nature, across all demographics, have virtually a 0% chance for interviews (nevermind admission entry) with the exception of major URM rarities, you being one of them. You honestly have no business being preferred into dental school over other highly qualified applicants with a better holistic profile, and it shocks me that you wouldn't possess the cognizance to understand that.

Truth. This concludes discussion in this thread.

Buy the largest candle you can carry, take it to your nearest church, synagogue, mosque, temple and light it.

and after the largest candle is finished, what do I do? go to the 2nd nearest church, synagogue, mosque, and temple and burn another candle?

Double effort deserve double reward.

Is this a joke? NYU requires 100 hours of shadowing at least.... Its hard to believe you got in with those stats...

Reactions: 1 users
You must be the most personable/ persuasive applicant there is because those stats...woof

Reactions: 2 users
Wow everyone is trying to crucify the poor guy. I believe it is quite admirable of you to want to pursue a masters and get into the school of your dreams. However, put that zeal and focus into your first year of dental school at NYU.

On a side note: If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. You were smart enough to get accepted into a dental school for a reason people on this forum cannot see. Use those same reasons to excel at NYU and i'm sure you'll make an excellent OMFS. Good luck friend!

Reactions: 12 users
I would definitely stick with NYU. It was my top choice and is a solid school. Also, as others have pointed out, your stats are a bit underwhelming, so you should definitely not risk waiting for the next application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
These schools have a quota for URMs like you, and quite frankly with those horrible stats consider yourself lucky to be even accepted. While it is possible that you can do a masters and aim for a less expensive school next year, save that seat for someone better qualified please.

Also no offense, but with a 3.0 BCP gpa why do you think you'll be competitive for an OMFS residency?

You'd be a fool to not accept the offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Ignore the insensitive nature of this thread, for the love of God enroll at NYU, and prove all of them wrong by doing well. Best of luck!

Reactions: 16 users
One thing I will point out is- I've heard that if you turn down an acceptance, it looks very bad when you apply again next cycle (there was a thread here on SDN about this same thing a little while ago...see if you can find it).

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Selfish answer: Decline so I can have your spot at NYU since I got waitlisted today with a 3.6 GPA and a 23 AA ;)

Honest answer: Accept the offer buddy. Wish I had gotten accepted today instead of waitlisted. When I interviewed at NYU I was seriously impressed, it's expensive but your going to get to be a dentist which is what matters.

Genuine question- what does the above ritual mean? Is it like an expression of Thanks?

It means go thank your lucky stars. And be grateful.

But why the Church, Synagogue, etc. Why do you have to light it in a place of worship? Can't it just be lit outside your home?

Pursuing OMFS involves a lot of hard work--no matter what school you go to. I'd say go to NYU, work hard, and achieve your dreams! :)

Accept it and also just know you really have to kick ass in dental school. A 3.3 doesn't show amazing academic qualities and you definitely need those to land a OMFS residency. Go to NYU and focus on bettering your school work so you can get residencies.

Wow everyone is trying to crucify the poor guy. I believe it is quite admirable of you to want to pursue a masters and get into the school of your dreams. However, put that zeal and focus into your first year of dental school at NYU.

On a side note: If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. You were smart enough to get accepted into a dental school for a reason people on this forum cannot see. Use those same reasons to excel at NYU and i'm sure you'll make an excellent OMFS. Good luck friend!

Please, enough with the sugarcoating.

It's surprising how the narrative is always spun negatively to those legitimately criticizing admissions. Saying he / she was "smart enough," and that we "cannot see" such talent and qualification from an applicant of this caliber, is an insult to ourselves that worked hard in the journey. While you're certainly correct that caliber isn't directly correlated to future performance, non-URMs aren't given that same consideration. Stop propping up someone who probably shouldn't be in dental school right now.

Let's be perfectly clear: hundreds and hundreds of applicants, with undeniably better performance stats and a holistic top-to-bottom profile, were waitlisted or denied over a URM with a 3.0 sGPA, 17 AA 17 TS, and 50 shadowing hours. That is not okay. It's even more embarrassing when they don't even have the common sense to realize the opportunity they were given and ask a forum for obvious advice. Are we serious right now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 users
There's so much salt on this post. It burns my eyes.

Reactions: 23 users
True. However, I got rejected last cycle and I had higher stats than the OP at the time.
I didn't cry about it on the forums. I improved my application and re-applied.;)

Reactions: 17 users
...said the URM who also got into school with a low DAT. What a coincidence you'd be making this comment.
Seriously, was your comment necessary?!

Everyone be nice to each other!

Reactions: 12 users
Count your blessings and move onto next year and kill it at NYU! Don't let any of these comments bring you down, work hard and prove everyone wrong!

Seriously, was your comment necessary?!

Everyone be nice to each other!
It's not that big a deal. The 6 acceptances in my e-mail inbox will comfort me.;)

Reactions: 18 users

Truth. This concludes discussion in this thread.

It's surprising how the narrative is always spun negatively to those legitimately criticizing admissions. Saying he / she was "smart enough," and that we "cannot see" such talent and qualification from an applicant of this caliber, is an insult to ourselves that worked hard in the journey. While you're certainly correct that caliber isn't directly correlated to future performance, non-URMs aren't given that same consideration. Stop propping up someone who probably shouldn't be in dental school right now.

Let's be perfectly clear: hundreds and hundreds of applicants, with undeniably better performance stats and a holistic top-to-bottom profile, were waitlisted or denied over a URM with a 3.0 sGPA, 17 AA 17 TS, and 50 shadowing hours. That is not okay. It's even more embarrassing when they don't even have the common sense to realize the opportunity they were given and ask a forum for obvious advice. Are we serious right now?
...said the URM who also got into school with a low DAT. What a coincidence you'd be making this comment.
Way too many rude comments here. You are all aware that dental schools want a diverse student body, so don't get mad at him for applying and having an "advantage". Be careful that your anger doesn't become misplaced, as we seem to be sliding in that direction.

Reactions: 10 users
It's not that big a deal. The 6 acceptances in my e-mail inbox will comfort me.;)

How many acceptances do you think you would have if you weren't a URM? I am honestly just asking.

You have got to be the rudest person I've ever seen.
If you met me in person, I bet you wouldn't have the guts to say what you just did.

Wait, nevermind- you are the rudest person I've ever seen. Go have some fun and lighten up.

How many acceptances do you think you would have if you weren't a URM? I am honestly just asking.

How many acceptances do you think you would have if dental schools knew the kinds of comments you made on an online anonymous board?

Reactions: 13 users
Not sure. I have a few URM friends that had similar stats to mine that didn't even get an interview this cycle.
Obviously I did something right compared to them. Also, the DAT isn't the only thing adcoms look at.

How many acceptances do you think you would have if dental schools knew the kinds of comments you made on an online anonymous board?

If I was a URM, they could know about the comments and I'd probably have even more.

We don't know the background of urMDandDDS, which is why I asked about his essays earlier.
Just because he has less extracurriculars, a low DAT and GPA doesn't mean he doesn't deserve his acceptance.
Yes, there are some applicants who get in that truly don't deserve to, but this is no reason to judge those that are URM
However, for all we know the OP could have gone through life changing struggles during his time in undergrad
Maybe his parents passed away in college affecting his grades and concentration? maybe he was homeless or had to take care of a sick relative for 4 years?
Perhaps he passionately expressed this in his essays and it greatly influenced his admission to NYU
I think the admissions committee is experienced enough to know which candidates deserve an acceptance.

And in the end even if the only reason he got accepted is because he is URM, this is not a bad thing.
There are many communities that would rather go to doctors/dentists of their own ethnicity and as healthcare
professionals we must make our services accessible to all groups of people, this is why diversity in dental school is important.

Congratulations OP, I'm sure you can become an OMFS if you improve yourself and work hard during dental school, best of luck.

Reactions: 13 users
You are right. If these things had occurred then I completely understand as this shows a huge level of adversity to overcome as an applicant. If not, then there is no excuse for those stats. There is nothing wrong with being a URM at all and we all know diversity is extremely important because of the contribution that these differences in background/upbringing/culture can bring, but we all know how flawed and biased this system can be with many qualified or seemingly competitive candidates being rejected because they are "cookie-cutter" candidates and don't have any unique qualities. Everyone has shadowing hours, community service/volunteer work, officer positions in clubs, good DAT scores and grades, recommendations, etc so how do you expect to stand out?

I hope OP is able to make the changes academically so that his grades and achievements reflect it. My older brother just matched into OMFS and he can tell anyone how difficult it is to do so. At that level you can't ride URM status and hope it lands you a residency spot.

We don't know the background of urMDandDDS, which is why I asked about his essays earlier.
Just because he has less extracurriculars, a low DAT and GPA doesn't mean he doesn't deserve his acceptance.
Yes, there are some applicants who get in that truly don't deserve to, but this is no reason to judge those that are URM
However, for all we know the OP could have gone through life changing struggles during his time in undergrad
Maybe his parents passed away in college affecting his grades and concentration? maybe he was homeless or had to take care of a sick relative for 4 years?
Perhaps he passionately expressed this in his essays and it greatly influenced his admission to NYU
I think the admissions committee is experienced enough to know which candidates deserve an acceptance.

Are struggles taken into account for non-URMs with a 3.0 sGPA and a 17 AA? What if their journey was challenging too?

You know the answer: non-URMs just aren't valued the same. Their file gets thrown out.

Last edited:
Let's all try and act like the professionals you are all striving to be.

Mental exercise: imagine you are all dentists right now and you are commenting on each others' work. Are you going to be that guy who tries to make a connection between skin color and quality of work?

Reactions: 15 users
Are struggles taken into account for non-URMs with a 3.0 sGPA and a 17 AA? What if their journey was challenging too?

You know the answer: non-URMs just aren't valued the same. Their file gets thrown out.

Who cares? No one is entitled to a dental education.

Reactions: 3 users
Pic of the acceptance email or it did not happen!!! :)
Jk/ congratulations OP, go to NYU, don't waste a year and take a risk. You got one, and that all you need, go for it.. :)

dude, you got in with a 17. no disrespect to you and your abilities, but the incoming average for the class of 2019 was a 22 and a 3.5...

come to NYU and prepare to be worked. it's a great school, but you'll really be immersed in a seriously challenging academic environment.

i would also like to say this...and this is only my opinion of course, and to be honest i don't care if i get crap for this because i've seen this happen many times. this post is based off of stats, not URM status or anything like that.

since i've been here, i've seen a lot of students who 'shouldn't be here'. i'd like to note that i'm probably in the middle of my class and i'm getting by, but good lord i've had classmates that have failed 3-4 classes in a year and have had to repeat. to be honest some make it through, some don't. but guess what, at the end of the day NYU still gets money from you, whether or not you have to repeat a year (in fact they get double if you repeat).

so my advice is to really dig deep and figure out if you can handle dental school. because unless you have a major epiphany and change up your study habits i would bet my dental school career thus far that you're going to fight an uphill battle to stay afloat, especially at NYU. the course load is just way too rigorous and your grades don't reflect that you can handle it. again i'm sorry but that's just how i see it. you're looking to invest >100k a year, and while i know this really wasn't the point of your post, just seriously think about it.

back to the point of the original post, OMFS shouldn't even be considered until at least the end of your first year of dental school. good luck.

Last edited:
i would also like to say this...and this is only my opinion of course, and to be honest i don't care if i get crap for this because i've seen this happen many times. this post is based off of stats, not URM status or anything like that.

since i've been here, i've seen a lot of students who 'shouldn't be here'. i'd like to note that i'm probably in the middle of my class and i'm getting by, but good lord i've had classmates that have failed 3-4 classes in a year and have had to repeat. to be honest some make it through, some don't. but guess what, at the end of the day NYU still gets money from you, whether or not you have to repeat a year (in fact they get double if you repeat).

so my advice is to really dig deep and figure out if you can handle dental school. because unless you have a major epiphany and change up your study habits i would bet my dental school career thus far that you're going to fight an uphill battle to stay afloat, especially at NYU. the course load is just way too rigorous and your grades don't reflect that you can handle it. again i'm sorry but that's just how i see it. you're looking to invest >100k a year, and while i know this really wasn't the point of your post, just seriously think about it.

back to the point of the original post, OMFS shouldn't even be considered until at least the end of your first year of dental school. good luck.
Good point. They want your money first and foremost.

Status
Not open for further replies.