Should I retake DAT for better options or just enroll into NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha too funny. I have the 3ds version. Who do you play?

I main Greninja and to a lesser extent I play Ganondorf and Dr. Mario.
I don't actually have a main but I enjoy playing with Ganondorf, villager, shriek and Lucario. I hardly play as olimar, mr game&watch, and toon link. Have you ever been banned? Here is a link if you don't know what I mean. http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-hell-for-glory-hell-ban-land-needs-to-be-noticed.416816/

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an american born indian-american. My family lived in a BASEMENT at one point due to excruciating financial difficulties and yet why should I be the one that is screwed over in admissions because I belong to a certain ethnicity? So what if there are many indians/pakistanis in medicine already? why should that hinder my career progress in any way?

for the record I'm already accepted to dental school (NYU) but had to work 10x harder than you did to achieve that. and the trump picture is supposed to be a joke but that went way over your victim minded filled head.

Is this really how you are going to talk to your future classmates/colleagues? I commend you on your efforts, congrats!!! Best of luck to you at NYU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't actually have a main but I enjoy playing with Ganondorf, villager, shriek and Lucario. I hardly play as olimar, mr game&watch, and toon link. Have you ever been banned? Here is a link if you don't know what I mean. http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-hell-for-glory-hell-ban-land-needs-to-be-noticed.416816/
No I haven't. Lol taunt parties? That is a real thing? Usually when I play for glory its 1 vs. 1
If you want to have taunt parties there is a friend code system for a reason... Add each other and make a private room lol.
I really don't think a report system is necessary in smash tbh. Even if the taunt messages are vulgar. Especially if someone gets banned for no reason and there is no way to lift the ban. Kinda stupid.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an american born indian-american. My family lived in a BASEMENT at one point due to excruciating financial difficulties and yet why should I be the one that is screwed over in admissions because I belong to a certain ethnicity? So what if there are many indians/pakistanis in medicine already? why should that hinder my career progress in any way?

for the record I'm already accepted to dental school (NYU) but had to work 10x harder than you did to achieve that. and the trump picture is supposed to be a joke but that went way over your victim minded filled head.

You know... I tutored a young Indian American kid in orgo. He was 15 years old! I was very impressed by his hard work and his resolve to be the best student he could be. Of paramount significance, what I found really attractive in this kid is that although he was smart, he was always respectful and kind to others. He had come from very humble beginnings and was determine to make a difference in this world. I got along very well with his parents because we had some much in common. It seems as though, being respectful to others is something that is highly valued in Indian families. Don't forget your values.

Reactions: 2 users
We are playing with semantics guys. We all know that there is a huge correlation between one's socioeconomic status and one's ethnicity for the most part. Let's be honest here! Being White comes with a lot of privileges.Period!! Daddy works at a firm and knows someone and that lands you a job for instance.I've seen example like that my whole life. Also, You can afford to buy the best prep material, like DAT destroyer, Bootcamp, etc.. Why wouldn't you score higher than someone who could not afford to acquire these resources? I never hated on my White counterparts for having a leg up but please, don't hate on URM's when someone is smart enough to see the disparity and tries to the best of their ability to level the playing field.
You think the term "racism" doesn't apply to you? This is a ridiculously racist statement. Quit pushing your White Guilt agenda and focus on your grades instead of excuses.
OP got lucky, he is not entitled to that spot. Good on him because once he starts school, he will have to EARN his DDS. I wish him the best and hope he achieves his ultimate dream.

Reactions: 1 users
It's time we move away from giving preference to certain ethnicities/races, and move towards giving preference to people from lower socioeconomic status. THAT I can get behind.

Dental schools need to continue to give preference to certain ethnicities/races because they will be the ones more inclined to go back to their disadvantaged communities to serve their own and usually these communities consist of URMs. Im not an URM but I understand why URMs are given an edge.

Reactions: 7 users
Dental schools need to continue to give preference to certain ethnicities/races because they will be the ones more inclined to go back to their disadvantaged communities to serve their own and usually these communities consist of URMs. Im not an URM but I understand why URMs are given an edge.
That is a gross generalization.

You think the term "racism" doesn't apply to you? This is a ridiculously racist statement. Quit pushing your White Guilt agenda and focus on your grades instead of excuses.
OP got lucky, he is not entitled to that spot. Good on him because once he starts school, he will have to EARN his DDS. I wish him the best and hope he achieves his ultimate dream.

Yeah. What this guy said.
Enough with the persecution of white men....

Have you seen how hard it is to get into Meharry or the other URM dental school as a white person or as an ORM? It's impossible.

But to propagate this idea that you're always getting the short end of the stick is total BS. You've got two dental schools JUST FOR YOU, and other schools that will give you a leg up, like NYU did here.

Have you heard about how hard it was to get into ANY university-- dental or otherwise-- if you weren't white? Now that was impossible. Man, segregation was such a buzzkill.

Have you heard about how hard it was to get into ANY university-- dental or otherwise-- if you weren't white? Now that was impossible. Man, segregation was such a buzzkill.

You're right. That was a horrible period of racism.
So you're saying that this period of racism is justified? An eye for an eye?

First time posting, I was accepted into NYU with the following stats:

2.69 cPA with upward trend, 3.3 GPA in junior and senior year
3.0 BCP GPA
Biology and Sociology major
17 AA, 17 TS, 18 PAT taken July 2014 DAT
50 shadowing hours with a GPR
100 research hours, no publications
URM: Jamaican and Haitian background.

Should I do a masters and retake the DAT to try to get into a better dental school for next year? I applied to NYU and 6 other schools, but NYU was the only school to accept me. Or should I just go to NYU? I am interested in doing a OMFS residency after dental school, and wanted to know if NYU was a good school to help me achieve my goals. Thanks!

Is your heritage Jamaican and Haitian (Sorry I don't know what URM means!)? If you have the time and the money you might be able to get into a host of other schools if you can get your DAT into the 21/22 range or higher. Remember that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush though, and also realize how lucky you are just to get one acceptance. There are people who would give up everything they have to be in your position.....choose smartly!

That is a gross generalization.
Well it might not have been entirely accurate to say they are more inclined to treat their own but what I meant is that they are more culturally competent to treat their own which is why URMs are necessary.

Reactions: 3 users
I see what you're saying and trust me. I respect and validate what you're saying. Unfortunately, on a larger scale. Blacks have to overcome a lot more than any other races and that's the sad truth. Studies have been shown to prove that a white person and a black person having been raised in similar environments often leads to that white person doing better overall at the end of the day. I think its because society has a negative view on Black males. Like, we are always up to no good, dealing drugs, etc... Everything that comes to your mind when you think of a Black man is the very reason why being Black makes it extremely hard to succeed. You already have preconceived ideas of us. Look up White/Black barbie experiment. Scary stuff!!!

That's because most of it is true:
1. While people of color make up about 30 percent of the United States’ population, they account for 60 percent of those imprisoned.

2. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, one in three black men can expect to go to prison in their lifetime.

Members don't see this ad :)
Come on guys. Let's keep things light. This thread has taken a dramatic turn in the wrong direction.

OP got into a great school, and we ought to be congratulating them.

Reactions: 6 users
1. While people of color make up about 30 percent of the United States’ population, they account for 60 percent of those imprisoned.

2. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, one in three black men can expect to go to prison in their lifetime.
Come on guys. Let's keep things light. This thread has taken a dramatic turn in the wrong direction.

OP got into a great school, and we ought to be congratulating them.

Congrats OP!! Watch your back.

You think this has nothing whatsoever to do with differing attitudes and practices within law enforcement?

You think this has nothing whatsoever to do with differing attitudes and practices within law enforcement?

Honestly bro, they either don't want to acknowledge the fact that it exists , or they are just oblivious to it.

Being White comes with a lot of privileges. Period!!
Absolutely true...
Daddy works at a firm and knows someone and that lands you a job for instance. I've seen examples like that my whole life.
...but making generalizations like this discredits your own argument.
And there you have it ladies and gentlemen. Frenchy just made my point.
"Being White comes with a lot of privileges. Period!!"

According to him, it doesn't matter if you're from a poor farm in Eastern Europe and just immigrated to this country today, and are working 10 hr days and studying for 4 hrs after that. You are the SAME as a white person born and raised in the U.S. with lots of resources.

It doesn't matter if you're from the lower strata of Russia, which has been impoverished by sanctions. You are white, so you are privileged. Period.

You, a white person from a poor socioeconomic background in Europe, are privileged because "Being White comes with a lot of privileges. Period!!!"
Being white does come with a lot of privileges. PERIOD. Just because an immigrant is financially struggling does not in any way eliminate the other societal advantages they enjoy due to the lightness of their skin. I really cannot see how you can argue against this, at least in America.
this has got to be the most idiotic post on SDN ever.
So, you disagree that white people are privileged by virtue of their skin color? In AMERICA? Please elaborate.

P.S. - I am white.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Absolutely true.

Absolutely false. Making generalizations like this is why people are ignoring your points.

Being white does come with a lot of privileges. PERIOD. Just because an immigrant is financially struggling does not in any way eliminate the other societal advantages they enjoy due to the lightness of their skin. I really cannot see how you can argue against this, at least in America.

So, you disagree that white people are privileged due to the nature of their skin color? In AMERICA? Please elaborate.

P.S. - I am white.
Uh oh, Torchic coming in hot. It just got real.

This thread is diarrhea...what a waste of time to read. Dental school affirmative action is a non-issue as long as the boards are colorblind. In the end, all dentists are held to the same standards.

No I haven't. Lol taunt parties? That is a real thing? Usually when I play for glory its 1 vs. 1
If you want to have taunt parties there is a friend code system for a reason... Add each other and make a private room lol.
I really don't think a report system is necessary in smash tbh. Even if the taunt messages are vulgar. Especially if someone gets banned for no reason and there is no way to lift the ban. Kinda stupid.
agree. Are you going to buy bayonetta/corrin?

Absolutely. Hopefully they come out early tomorrow so I can download them before I go to work.:shifty:
Honestly are you happy with corrin? I feel like there is a lot of duplicates like mario-dr mario, link-Toon link, and marth-lucina. There is a lot of fire emblem characters, and I think there was a need for a sonic character like victor, knuckles, dr.eggman or even another pokemon brawler

Honestly are you happy with corrin? I feel like there is a lot of duplicates like mario-dr mario, link-Toon link, and marth-lucina. There is a lot of fire emblem characters, and I think there was a need for a sonic character like victor, knuckles, dr.eggman or even another pokemon brawler
I'm not really happy with either character. I voted for a new Metroid character (Sylux). I agree there are way too many fire emblem characters and duplicates.
I think there are way too many pokemon too (Although I really miss Squirtle:().

I appreciate the overwhelming support. I heard back from Howard and was offered an interview which will take place this month. If you have not been getting offers, I encourage staying patient and persistent. Others have applied 4-5 cycles before getting in, so please do not be discouraged! Keep showing dental schools you are committed. You will get in with the right attitude and a positive mindset.

Reactions: 5 users
This thread is diarrhea...what a waste of time to read. Dental school affirmative action is a non-issue as long as the boards are colorblind. In the end, all dentists are held to the same standards.
I agree with you on the whole affirmative action thing but I couldn't let this post slide. Yes, all dentists are held to the same standard, but look at board passing rates. Then look at dental school acceptance rates. It's clear where the barrier of entry into the profession is, and it's not when you're already in school.

This being said, I support urMDandDDS and his quest to become a dentist. People who complain about affirmative action need to ask themselves why they didn't accomplish what it is they set out to do instead of playing the victim (something they often accuse others of doing). I'm a straight white male from a high earning family (lawyer dad/nurse mom), who has not suffered any hardship in life, and I held up my end of the bargain by working hard and not blaming others for my shortcomings. I got into 6 schools, some of them "really good" if you buy into what you hear on SDN, including my number 1. I suffered no disadvantage because I'm white/Indian/Southeast Asian/Middle Eastern/whatever label you want to give someone that means nothing about what kind of person they are. Anybody who suggests they did just isn't as strong of an applicant as they would like to be.

We're all dealt a different hand of cards and it all depends on how you play them. I have no sympathy for those who blame it on the dealer.

Let the thread die already

honestly its not right that people with way better apps don't get in, and someone with qualification such as this are allowed in, you should be judged on the merit of your actions and achievements, granted we should recognize people who overcome more difficult life obstacles, but something as ridiculous as this shouldn't, no matter how difficult the background is, there are other people with equally as tough backgrounds, that still manage at least decent grades, grades matter because they are a gauge of how intellectually capable you are to handle the incredibly arduous path that health professions schools such as med or dental school entail, that being said we do need to adjust for people with more difficult up bringings and socioeconomic issues, but still you can't completely over look grades and the intellectual capacity of an individual, if we do that, its like setting people up to fail, do your best at nyu, work hard, and become a great doctor, seriously you are one of the luckiest people I've ever seen post on this site, so many cry because they didn't get in, and they have stellar applications...

Please, enough with the sugarcoating.

It's surprising how the narrative is always spun negatively to those legitimately criticizing admissions. Saying he / she was "smart enough," and that we "cannot see" such talent and qualification from an applicant of this caliber, is an insult to ourselves that worked hard in the journey. While you're certainly correct that caliber isn't directly correlated to future performance, non-URMs aren't given that same consideration. Stop propping up someone who probably shouldn't be in dental school right now.

Let's be perfectly clear: hundreds and hundreds of applicants, with undeniably better performance stats and a holistic top-to-bottom profile, were waitlisted or denied over a URM with a 3.0 sGPA, 17 AA 17 TS, and 50 shadowing hours. That is not okay. It's even more embarrassing when they don't even have the common sense to realize the opportunity they were given and ask a forum for obvious advice. Are we serious right now?
the bolded part, a 1000 times , brilliant

'URM' should be defined by socioeconomic status, straight up. i don't see why this isn't enforced

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
a91f069d4268843543d5aab6b98f4d7f8555c2ac6f043f0e9f762193743ea24e.jpg
Stealing this. Soooo stealing this

Great comeback story, I am on a similar track as you OP but applying to medical school. Just curious, 3.3 is considered a significant upward trend for dental school? My 4.0 at my SMP should be considered a rocket booster to the moon or something then! Bravo to your accomplishments.

That's strange. Since when was everyone so on board with sending some poor kid to a 500k dental school with a 400 person class size? Fluke or not, anyone should hesitate to go to nyu even if the admission offer was delivered on a silver platter (which apparently it was :whistle:

Complete and utter bull****. Go read a book. Blacks and whites use many drugs at the same rates yet blacks make up more of the prison population (and as you pointed out are a minority). Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I just cant figure out why that could occur.

Nah youre right black people are all drug dealers

If reading is too difficult for you heres a good documentary on the topic:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2125653/

Last edited:
The BS keeps flowing. I'm not saying Blacks have it easy, but it's ignorant on your part to say Blacks have it the hardest.

Ask your Black friends how they feel about it. This forum isn't the best place to try to explain race inequality. Or perhaps pick up a book and learn about race inequality. It's pretty interesting actually. Honestly, it would take me a few pages to explain to you why Blacks have it the hardest in this country. (I stand firm on this one! Other people have it bad too, but we have it the worst and if you disagree then tell me who does?) It's something that is deeply rooted within our culture and the sad thing is that people are afraid to talk about it when they really should not. TALKING ABOUT IT IS THE ONLY WAY THAT I CAN UNDERSTAND YOU AND THAT YOU CAN UNDERSTAND ME. It seems like you truly care so let me expand a little. Race inequality is real. Now mind you, you're talking to a Black man who was born and raised in France. I've been living in the US for about 8 years but I have experienced PLENTY. Now, I do live in Boston so I don't know if it makes a difference.(If you're really interested PM me). Now...Is America the worst country to live in for people of color? Honestly, it isn't. From my experience, France is far worst though it's a different kind of discrimination!! I have been to many other countries around the world and I know for sure that other countries are looking up to the US. They are expecting for the United Sates of America to lead the way! That is you and every other person on this forum. Will it be easy? Heck no!! I can't tell you how many times people have told me. "How could you possibly be French? You don't look French!!" Boston is supposed to be a place where people are "educated". No?lol I had a professor who forced each student to partner up with someone who was ethnically, culturally,etc.. different. People left that class transformed!! For real!! We learned so much about each other and it was a great start but this is something that we must force ourselves to do everyday. I use the word "force" because people tend to gravitate towards people that look like them. It's the easiest thing to do. The path of least resistance. It requires no effort on our part. Asians chill with Asians, Blacks with Blacks, Hispanics with Hispanics, Muslims with Muslims, etc... I have learned so much from traveling and forcing myself to make friends with people who look different than I do. Guess what!! Sometimes you get rejected, sometimes you don't but at least you try and in the end, that's what matters. :)

Last edited:
You're right. That was a horrible period of racism.
So you're saying that this period of racism is justified? An eye for an eye?

Some argue that we've never left the civil rights movement and that we are living a continuation of it right now, as we speak. Provoking idea for sure!! Henry Louis Gates Jr. has a wonderful documentary on Netflix. I strongly urge you to watch it. If you had a true understanding of what Blacks went through and are still going through in this country, the phrase " An eye for an eye" wouldn't even cross your mind. That being said, An eye for an eye never crossed my mind either. All Black people want is justice. Look at this picture. Just the picture!!
http://intersecteddisability.blogspot.com/2014/03/on-disparity-in-education-equality-is.html
As you can see, people have different heights and in order for them to be at the same level they must be given different boxes to stand on. It's quite simple. That is exactly what Adcoms are doing when helping URM's. They see that URM's are the little guy!! We have different heights for reasons that you and I aren't responsible for and it happened for so long that it created huge differences in heights.So what do adcoms do? They give URM's a larger box to stand on in order to somewhat help compensate for the little height. Though some may argue that it is still not enough. Hopefully, you can see that equality does not mean justice and that we should all try to seek justice.

Last edited:
The comments on this thread show that racism and prejudice is still alive in America. To French they will never understand what it is like to be a Black man in America.. Especially when you are trying to do great things. To the OP keep rocking and rock dental school man.. Ball out!

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, I never denied that she may have gone through a lot. Maybe even more than OP or myself. However, try to focus on what they are trying to achieve for a quick second and it will all make sense. All they see is a lot of Indians/White/Asians doctors. They want to diversify it but at the same time, they see that Blacks and Hispanics often times do not do as well in standardized test and in school. ( Why do you think that is BTW? Are Blacks and Hispanics innately dumber than other races? think about that). So what should they do? Not make exceptions and only take those who have 3.8 and 23AA. It would disqualify a lot of minorities. So what they do is they look at the whole package. URM status, community service, leadership, etc..which BTW URM's tend to do very well in those areas.

Let me preface my response by saying that I am not suggesting blacks and hispanics are innately dumber than other races. If anything I'd point the finger at differences in values/cultures. That said, I'd just like to ask what explanation you subscribe to for certain races performing worse on standardized tests in the US. Perhaps you agree with me entirely, perhaps not. One thing I will say is that I can't take seriously an argument that claims it comes down to the tests being biased toward white students because of the way questions are phrased, the context of the questions, whatever. I only say this because as a whole, Asians at the very least match and often exceed the scores of their white counterparts. So that has to put the "cultural/racial bias" line of thought to bed, no?

Do you think this can be entirely attributed to attitudes and practices within law enforcement

Let me preface my response by saying that I am not suggesting blacks and hispanics are innately dumber than other races. If anything I'd point the finger at differences in values/cultures. That said, I'd just like to ask what explanation you subscribe to for certain races performing worse on standardized tests in the US. Perhaps you agree with me entirely, perhaps not. One thing I will say is that I can't take seriously an argument that claims it comes down to the tests being biased toward white students because of the way questions are phrased, the context of the questions, whatever. I only say this because as a whole, Asians at the very least match and often exceed the scores of their white counterparts. So that has to put the "cultural/racial bias" line of thought to bed, no?

Hey nonociceptors! I hope all is well.
Thank you for your comment and question. YES!! YES!! YES!! You get it! I am with you on that. I'd point the finger at differences in values/cultures but also resources. That's important too!!! Asians/Indians do do better than Whites for sure. Some of my best friends in college were Asian. I used to refer to them as the bad boyz!! ( In a kind way of course) Their work ethic is unreal!!! They're hungry!! I met with my best friend's family who immigrated from S.Korea and it soon became evident that an A- in his eyes was just unacceptable. Also, most of his family members were professionals. Pharmacists, M.D's, bankers, dentist, you name it!! (Food for thought, most students who commit suicide at MIT are Asian. The parental pressure is real!!Perhaps too real?) Now you combine this pressure with access to resources (Look up this article. Forgot the link. "Asian american women closing salary gap with White men".) and there you go!! You have a recipe for success. Does this put the "cultural/racial bias line of thought to bed? Not at all. Why? Because Blacks definitely lack the resources and that's huge. Just look up avg. salary for Black household and you'll see what I am talking about. Does it matter? Heck yeah!! It means no SAT prep course (most likely won't do as well on SAT if the individual even graduates High School!! 1st hurdle), it means this individual might have to work their way through College(GPA most likely suffers for that reason alone. Do not forget also that the individual isn't academically well prepared to tackle College due to living in a poor neighborhood where the high school was very subpar. 2nd hurdle), If the individual can afford to pay for the DAT exam. 3rd hurdle. it means no DAT destroyer, DAT bootcamp,etc... are not even an option at this point.( DAT score takes a hit.4th hurdle) , Do you see the number of hurdles a Black person must overcome as a result of income disparities based on race? Now...culturally speaking we have a problem too. This is going to hurt some but I have to be honest. A lot of Blacks have a hard time envisioning themselves doing greatness because their family members often times discourage them to spend so many years in school. Our family members don't see the value in it because they have never experience it for themselves. This lack of support for some can be the deal breaker honestly. That's why when you see an applicant of color with a 2.9 GPA and a 17AA you should really think about everything they've had to overcome to get there. BTW, some argue that way before a student of color enters middle school, he/she is already behind compared to their white counterparts. There a various reasons for it. Racial profiling leads to more Black men in prison so the mother must work two jobs. The mother is absent so she cannot help the child with homework. The child isn't being watched and is therefore more at risk of being influenced by negative outside forces (gangs,etc...Trust me it starts early). The kid is 14 years old and its almost already too late. It is a vicious cycle and that is why I have a hard time talking about the disparity in education without addressing everything else an individual of color has to face from say age 5 to age 21. Now, I have to also say that I have two cousins who live in Milton,MA. (Extremely affluent town). Their parents make over 500k/year combined and they are well educated. My cousins went to the best schools and have never lacked of anything in life. However, these Black families are extremely rare, in fact they are almost insignificant %wise so all Blacks benefit from AA. I'd like to also point out that regardless how much money a Black man has, he still faces certain issues a white man will never have to face. I'm sure you can think of a few.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Good. Don't let your previous academic troubles define your future success.

One piece of unsolicited advice:
Research the "Growth Mindset" by Carol Dweck. It helps a lot.

Just noticed this comment. I'd like to thank you for this Incisor. I know this was for OP but it is inspiring and It means a lot to me honestly. Thank you!:)

Good lord. No. Just feel extremely fortunate and blessed that your URM status propelled you into an acceptance. It's times like these that really makes the ADA admissions process hard to swallow.

You have shown nothing academically to suggest you're mentally capable in a dental curriculum. Beyond your mediocre extracurriculars, a 3.0 sGPA with a 17 AA, 17 TS is absolutely dreadful - applicants of that nature, across all demographics, have virtually a 0% chance for interviews (nevermind admission entry) with the exception of major URM rarities, you being one of them. You honestly have no business being preferred into dental school over other highly qualified applicants with a better holistic profile and performance metrics, and it shocks me that you wouldn't possess the basic cognizance to understand that. Your lack of common sense alone to realize this opportunity supports that you probably shouldn't be in dental school right now.

Go to NYU and smile ear-to-ear each morning knowing you dodged a critical life roadblock.
What is URM?

Wow everyone is trying to crucify the poor guy. I believe it is quite admirable of you to want to pursue a masters and get into the school of your dreams. However, put that zeal and focus into your first year of dental school at NYU.

On a side note: If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. You were smart enough to get accepted into a dental school for a reason people on this forum cannot see. Use those same reasons to excel at NYU and i'm sure you'll make an excellent OMFS. Good luck friend!
World needs more supportive people like you. When you are so kind to a stranger, makes me wonder how kind are you to your loved ones.

What is URM?

the AAMC used the term "underrepresented minority (URM)," which consisted of Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans. The AAMC remains committed to ensuring access to medical education and medicine-related careers for individuals from these four historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups.

Do you think this can be entirely attributed to attitudes and practices within law enforcement
You make a fair point, but I have to ask; did I ever claim that that statistic is entirely attributed to law enforcement? I don't think I did. Nothing is entirely attributed to one factor or the other, which is why I didn't suggest it. His assertion that minorities are criminals by using that statistic without any context is just as ridiculous as me saying that "no minority has ever committed a crime, and if they are incarcerated it's due to discriminatory law enforcement practices".

Nobody who isn't lying to themselves can look me straight in the eye and tell me there aren't discriminatory practices and attitudes in law enforcement; that's the point I was trying to make. I wasn't trying to exonerate anyone based off their race, just like I'm not trying to assign guilt to anyone based off their race. That's why it troubles me when keyboard warriors who copy and paste away statistics and take them to be the be all and end all of complex issues.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.