Should I retake DAT for better options or just enroll into NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP pasted honey on a bear trap and you all went for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
and after the largest candle is finished, what do I do? go to the 2nd nearest church, synagogue, mosque, and temple and burn another candle? Double effort deserve double reward.
Sacrificial lamb?

Are struggles taken into account for non-URMs with a 3.0 sGPA and a 17 AA? What if their journey was challenging too?

You know the answer: non-URMs just aren't valued the same. Their file gets thrown out.

Non-URMS just aren't valued the same? Meanwhile multiple schools have literally zero URMs in their entering classes, thus not reflecting the communities or nation as a whole.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OP pasted honey on a bear trap and you all went for it.
a91f069d4268843543d5aab6b98f4d7f8555c2ac6f043f0e9f762193743ea24e.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
I appreciate all the replies. I will be attending NYU Dental this fall, trying my best to achieve success.

Reactions: 24 users
Pack your bags, thread's done.

Reactions: 2 users
I appreciate all the replies. I will be attending NYU Dental this fall, trying my best to achieve success.

Good. Don't let your previous academic troubles define your future success.

One piece of unsolicited advice:
Research the "Growth Mindset" by Carol Dweck. It helps a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
Non-URMS just aren't valued the same? Meanwhile multiple schools have literally zero URMs in their entering classes, thus not reflecting the communities or nation as a whole.
If it's a private school it does not have the responsibility to do so

Does anyone know if residencies such as ortho/OMFS have URM preferences/quotas and would look upon them favorably even if overall stats might be lower?

Does anyone know if residencies such as ortho/OMFS have URM preferences/quotas and would look upon them favorably even if overall stats might be lower?
Just work hard and don't think about it, and you'll match if you're purple or green. Doesn't matter.

Reactions: 3 users
Good lord. No. Just feel extremely fortunate and blessed that your URM status propelled you into an acceptance. It's times like these that really makes the ADA admissions process hard to swallow.

Beyond your mediocre extracurriculars, a 3.0 sGPA with a 17 AA, 17 TS is absolutely dreadful - applicants of that nature, across all demographics, have virtually a 0% chance for interviews (nevermind admission entry) with the exception of major URM rarities, you being one of them. You honestly have no business being preferred into dental school over other highly qualified applicants with a better holistic profile, and it shocks me that you wouldn't possess the cognizance to understand that.

Go to NYU and realize you dodged a critical life roadblock.

YOU ARE VERY DISRESPECTFUL!! People like you make life hard to swallow!!! If you were to read a history book, maybe you would possess the cognizance to understand why URM's, you know what forget PC!! Maybe, you would understand why a Haitian/Jamaican individual may have had a more arduous path than say an average White person. (Of course, I am speaking on avg here!! I have plenty of White friends who have worked extremely hard to get where they are today and they are to be praised as well.) You're obviously mad because he was accepted to dental school with subpar stats. I think the only people that you should be mad at are the people who have subjected Black people to years and years of slavery. You should be mad that the government does not spend enough time and money on trying to educate our young Blacks and Hispanic kids!! You should be mad at the makeup of our prison system today!! You should be mad at racial profiling which puts our fathers in prison and leaves our mothers behind to raise kids on their own. Whom by the way have to work 2 or 3 jobs to make up for a lost income. You should also be mad at the disparities in income in terms of races in this country!By the way, the discrimination against Blacks is still happening today and you are contributing to it by saying what you said.(though love) I would not be surprised if OP had to work full-time while taking classes! I wouldn't be surprised if English was his second language! I wouldn't be surprised if none of his parents graduated high school. You say that he has no business being preferred into dental school over other qualified applicants. You obviously do not value nor do you understand people who come from diverse ethnic backgrounds. You do not know what it usually takes for a person of this background to be able to achieve what he has achieved.
OP!! What you did is huge!!! I am extremely proud of you from one Black man to another or shall I say from one man who has overcome adversity to another!!!! Also, it is obvious that some White people were able to see the value in you as a whole since you got an acceptance. Now having said that, count your blessings and go to NYU because next year, you may be dealing with an admissions committee member who does not understand nor sees value in people with diverse ethnic backgrounds like yourself. Tell Dr.Mejia and Dr.Watson that I said Hi.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You should be mad that the government does not spend enough time and money on trying to educate our young Blacks and Hispanic kids!!

By the way, the discrimination against Blacks is still happening today

The above is just BS in my opinion.

Have you seen how hard it is to get an NHSC scholarship as a white person or as an ORM (Such as Asians)? It's impossible. In fact, they even say that they give preference to URMs.
Have you seen how hard it is to get into Meharry or the other URM dental school as a white person or as an ORM? It's impossible.
Even at the college/undergrad. level, URMs are now getting preferential treatment over others.

Yes, your ancestors were treated unfairly, but there are PLENTY of first generation Americans here from Europe and Asia who are also working while studying, living in austere conditions, and who are in similar conditions as blacks and hispanics. What about them? They don't get the extra look that your app might get.

It's time we move away from giving preference to certain ethnicities/races, and move towards giving preference to people from lower socioeconomic status. THAT I can get behind.

The Hispanic Dental Association is so powerful...you guys even have pipeline programs to recruit you to dentistry from high school. What about for those kids whose parents just immigrated from Europe and who work and labor for 8 hrs/day and then study for 6 hrs/night? What about them deserving a chance?

But to propagate this idea that you're always getting the short end of the stick is total BS. You've got two dental schools JUST FOR YOU, and other schools that will give you a leg up, like NYU did here.

I remember hearing this story of a U.S. Dental School...they recruited a URM with a 2.4 GPA and guaranteed him a spot in the Ortho program if he maintained a 3.0 GPA through dental school. I don't see that kind of deal being given out to ORMs/white people.

Have you seen how hard it is to get an NHSC scholarship as a white person or as an ORM (Such as Asians)? It's impossible. In fact, they even say that they give preference to URMs.
Have you seen how hard it is to get into Meharry or the other URM dental school as a white person or as an ORM? It's impossible.
Even at the college/undergrad. level, URMs are now getting preferential treatment over others.

Yes, your ancestors were treated unfairly, but there are PLENTY of first generation Americans here from Europe and Asia who are also working while studying, living in austere conditions, and who are in similar conditions as blacks and hispanics. What about them? They don't get the extra look that your app might get.

It's time we move away from giving preference to certain ethnicities/races, and move towards giving preference to people from lower socioeconomic status. THAT I can get behind.

The Hispanic Dental Association is so powerful...you guys even have pipeline programs to recruit you to dentistry from high school. What about for those kids whose parents just immigrated from Europe and who work and labor for 8 hrs/day and then study for 6 hrs/night? What about them deserving a chance?

But to propagate this idea that you're always getting the short end of the stick is total BS. You've got two dental schools JUST FOR YOU, and other schools that will give you a leg up, like NYU did here.

The NHSC scholarship isn't some extensive scholarship that's being handed out to URM health professional students in large numbers (the number of scholarships available are very finite). Preference may be given to URMs bc they are more likely to serve these underserved communities (that are likely to look like them) after fulfilling their scholarship obligation. If an "ORM" or a "white" applicant effectively conveyed their desire to serve the underserved then they would have just as much a chance as a URM at earning a NHSC scholarship.

You say "we" have two schools. That's laughable. You speak as though URMs are taking "your" seats in drove numbers (Maybe you didn't know that URM stood for "UNDERREPRESENTED minorities?"). In comparison to other dental schools, Howard dental has the most diverse student body. If we receive so much preferential treatment, I'd be more than happy to swap the situation around if we could have the economic resources afforded to "you" (as a group, not individually).

And you "remember hearing a story?" As (future) health professional students, it's a shame that you are actually attempting to propagate "he say she say."

The NHSC scholarship isn't some extensive scholarship that's being handed out to URM health professional students in large numbers (the number of scholarships available are very finite). Preference may be given to URMs bc they are more likely to serve these underserved communities (that are likely to look like them) after fulfilling their scholarship obligation. If an "ORM" or a "white" applicant effectively conveyed their desire to serve the underserved then they would have just as much a chance as a URM at earning a NHSC scholarship.

You say "we" have two schools. That's laughable. You speak as though URMs are taking "your" seats in drove numbers (Maybe you didn't know that URM stood for "UNDERREPRESENTED minorities?"). In comparison to other dental schools, Howard dental has the most diverse student body. If we receive so much preferential treatment, I'd be more than happy to swap the situation around if we could have the economic resources afforded to "you" (as a group, not individually).

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Have you ever even LOOKED at an NHSC application? It says it right on there. Tier 1 candidates are people with exceptional need. Tier 2 are URMs from a "disadvantaged background". Tier 3 is people likely to remain in a HPSA zone. It's in there, black and white. Don't try to deny it.

Your claim that an ORM or white applicant as a URM with the same volunteering hours has the same shot as a URM is more wrong than saying 2+2 = 5.

And for heaven's sakes, research something before you try to talk authoritatively on it.

Explain to me how "YOU" having two full dental schools to "YOURSELVES" and having preferential treatment for "YOURSELVES" at the remaining 63 dental schools is not preferential treatment. I bet if a dental school popped up and accepted only White applicants, you'd be saying that this is "unfair" and that "white applicants get preferential treatment here!"

Explain to me how "YOU" having pipeline programs that pretty much guarantee you an admission into a dental school from high school is not preferential treatment.
Explain to me how "YOU" having preference in admissions to the Ivy League schools over equally qualified non-URMs is not preferential treatment.

Quit playing the Victim. Give everyone with low socioeconomic status a boost, or give noone a boost.

To all the applicants complaining about how adcoms have judged you unfairly based on your ethnicity. Let me give you a couple of tips on how to complain effectively. (As an URM i'm an expert in this area.)

1) Come up with a hashtag that fits the situation. ie. #WhiteApplicantsMatter and share it on all forms of social media.

2) If you feel you are being judged unfairly you MUST go to every URM that was accepted this cycle and tell them to CHECK THEIR PRIVILEGE.

3) You need to form an organization; An organization that will fight for your right to get accepted based on academic merit alone. It also has to have an awesome and catchy acronym ie. NURMAADA. (Non-URMs Against the American Dental Association).

If you follow these three simple steps you will find success in making your voice heard.

Reactions: 9 users
To all the applicants complaining about how adcoms have judged you unfairly based on your ethnicity. Let me give you a couple of tips on how to complain effectively. (As an URM i'm an expert in this area.)

1) Come up with a hashtag that fits the situation. ie. #WhiteApplicantsMatter and share it on all forms of social media.

2) If you feel you are being judged unfairly you MUST go to every URM that was accepted this cycle and tell them to CHECK THEIR PRIVILEGE.

3) You need to form an organization; An organization that will fight for your right to get accepted based on academic merit alone. It also has to have an awesome and catchy acronym ie. NURMAADA. (Non-URMs Against the American Dental Association).

If you follow these three simple steps you will find success in making your voice heard.
You watch South Park? I watch South Park! :highfive:

yeah! haha sorry, i got a little overexcited there.

You performed cunnulingus brah, there's a separate consent form for that:lol:leave it to the greatest show ever made to bring people together

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Have you ever even LOOKED at an NHSC application? It says it right on there. Tier 1 candidates are people with exceptional need. Tier 2 are URMs from a "disadvantaged background". Tier 3 is people likely to remain in a HPSA zone. It's in there, black and white. Don't try to deny it.

Your claim that an ORM or white applicant as a URM with the same volunteering hours has the same shot as a URM is more wrong than saying 2+2 = 5.

And for heaven's sakes, research something before you try to talk authoritatively on it.

Explain to me how "YOU" having two full dental schools to "YOURSELVES" and having preferential treatment for "YOURSELVES" at the remaining 63 dental schools is not preferential treatment. I bet if a dental school popped up and accepted only White applicants, you'd be saying that this is "unfair" and that "white applicants get preferential treatment here!"

Explain to me how "YOU" having pipeline programs that pretty much guarantee you an admission into a dental school from high school is not preferential treatment.
Explain to me how "YOU" having preference in admissions to the Ivy League schools over equally qualified non-URMs is not preferential treatment.

Quit playing the Victim. Give everyone with low socioeconomic status a boost, or give noone a boost.

"Your claim that an ORM or white applicant as a URM with the same volunteering hours has the same shot as a URM is more wrong than saying 2+2 = 5." Just, No..volunteer hours? Where did that even come from?

. I bet if a dental school popped up and accepted only White applicants, you'd be saying that this is "unfair" and that "white applicants get preferential treatment here!" What school in the United States only accepts students of one race?

Answer this question for me, WHY do you think URMs get "preferential treatment?"

"Explain to me how "YOU" having pipeline programs that pretty much guarantee you an admission into a dental school from high school is not preferential treatment.
Explain to me how "YOU" having preference in admissions to the Ivy League schools over equally qualified non-URMs is not preferential treatment." You must be trolling.

You performed cunnulingus brah, there's a separate consent form for that:lol:leave it to the greatest show ever made to bring people together
yassssss! have a high five :highfive:

"Your claim that an ORM or white applicant as a URM with the same volunteering hours has the same shot as a URM is more wrong than saying 2+2 = 5." Just, No..volunteer hours? Where did that even come from?

. I bet if a dental school popped up and accepted only White applicants, you'd be saying that this is "unfair" and that "white applicants get preferential treatment here!" What school in the United States only accepts students of one race?

Answer this question for me, WHY do you think URMs get "preferential treatment?"

"Explain to me how "YOU" having pipeline programs that pretty much guarantee you an admission into a dental school from high school is not preferential treatment.
Explain to me how "YOU" having preference in admissions to the Ivy League schools over equally qualified non-URMs is not preferential treatment." You must be trolling.

I don't think you're getting his points at all.

Preferential treatment for applicants should be based off socioeconomic status, not ethnicity.

Preferential treatment for applicants should be based off socioeconomic status, not ethnicity.

I don't disagree with that. I didn't mean to come off that way. The ethnicity portion is debatable.

I remember hearing this story of a U.S. Dental School...they recruited a URM with a 2.4 GPA and guaranteed him a spot in the Ortho program if he maintained a 3.0 GPA through dental school. I don't see that kind of deal being given out to ORMs/white people.

If you believe that discrimination against Blacks isn't relevant anymore, or BS as you put it then we must live in totally different worlds. In fact, we probably do.

YOU ARE VERY DISRESPECTFUL!! People like you make life hard to swallow!!! If you were to read a history book, maybe you would possess the cognizance to understand why URM's, you know what forget PC!! Maybe, you would understand why a Haitian/Jamaican individual may have had a more arduous path than say an average White person. (Of course, I am speaking on avg here!! I have plenty of White friends who have worked extremely hard to get where they are today and they are to be praised as well.) You're obviously mad because he was accepted to dental school with subpar stats. I think the only people that you should be mad at are the people who have subjected Black people to years and years of slavery. You should be mad that the government does not spend enough time and money on trying to educate our young Blacks and Hispanic kids!! You should be mad at the makeup of our prison system today!! You should be mad at racial profiling which puts our fathers in prison and leaves our mothers behind to raise kids on their own. Whom by the way have to work 2 or 3 jobs to make up for a lost income. You should also be mad at the disparities in income in terms of races in this country!By the way, the discrimination against Blacks is still happening today and you are contributing to it by saying what you said.(though love) I would not be surprised if OP had to work full-time while taking classes! I wouldn't be surprised if English was his second language! I wouldn't be surprised if none of his parents graduated high school. You say that he has no business being preferred into dental school over other qualified applicants. You obviously do not value nor do you understand people who come from diverse ethnic backgrounds. You do not know what it usually takes for a person of this background to be able to achieve what he has achieved.
OP!! What you did is huge!!! I am extremely proud of you from one Black man to another or shall I say from one man who has overcome adversity to another!!!! Also, it is obvious that some White people were able to see the value in you as a whole since you got an acceptance. Now having said that, count your blessings and go to NYU because next year, you may be dealing with an admissions committee member who does not understand nor sees value in people with diverse ethnic backgrounds like yourself. Tell Dr.Mejia and Dr.Watson that I said Hi.

Although I really agree with you, and you make many valid points let's not bring in the slavery discussion here. Why? Because I doubt OP has known any slaves, nor his parents. Slavery has been long gone in the US. You want to talk slavery? Because many Eastern Europeans as myself (obviously not me), were subjected to slavery for over 400 years, had our land taken away from us, etc, etc... (Much like the Native Americans). Not to also mention the Asians and their troubles with the colonies. To me it is completely unfair if an immigrant from Eastern Europe, or Asia (whom came to the US with no knowledge of English, education not recognized, no money, and had to start from nothing) had a greater disadvantage to a black person (whom was most likely born in the US) just because they are 'black'.

Now, as I said, you made valid points but there are two sides to every story/situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the 25 likes trophy guys, i just tell it like it is.
Although I really agree with you, and you make many valid points let's not bring in the slavery discussion here. Why? Because I doubt OP has known any slaves, nor his parents. Slavery has been long gone in the US. You want to talk slavery? Because many Eastern Europeans as myself (obviously not me), were subjected to slavery for over 400 years, had our land taken away from us, etc, etc... (Much like the Native Americans). Not to also mention the Asians and their troubles with the colonies. To me it is completely unfair if an immigrant from Eastern Europe, or Asia had a greater disadvantage to a black person (whom was most likely born in the US) just because they are 'black'.

Now, as I said, you made valid points but there are two sides to every story/situation.

Three cheers for 1070752. But be aware- Frenchy is going to play major victimhood on you right now.

Look at this person who posted in the Dentalforums. S/he is JUST AS DISADVANTAGED AS YOU ARE @FrenchyM.D/D.O . S/he has been applying for 3+ CYCLES NOW.

DAT AA: 19
BIO: 20, GC: 20, OC: 19, RC: 20, PAT/QR: 15 (low i know!)
sGPA: 3.1

I currently work as a dental assistant. I have a one year internship between the application cycle. I've been rejected from 5 schools so far, and i have all eyes on Howard because its the closest to where i live. I haven't heard back for any interviews. Still waiting to hear back from Howard, UMD, LECOM, Louisville, Touro NYC, Tufts. Rejected from VCU, NOVA, MID-IL, UKentucky, and UCSF.

I'm becoming increasingly anxious at this point. I e-mailed Howard to ask if i needed to retake the DAT and they responded back saying "You do not need to retake the DAT to be considered a competitive applicant at Howard". I've been under review at most of those schools since 8/20/15.

Is anyone else with me? Or has everybody already accepted offers and moving on..So disheartening :(

But for some reason, S/he will not get into dental school while you will. Do you know why? Answer is below:

Umm, i am Pakistani American. Does that help my case at all?

Tell me why your application deserves more consideration than his/hers? I bet you're going to dodge this question too.

I don't disagree with that. I didn't mean to come off that way. The ethnicity portion is debatable.

We are playing with semantics guys. We all know that there is a huge correlation between one's socioeconomic status and one's ethnicity for the most part. Let's be honest here! Being White comes with a lot of privileges.Period!! Daddy works at a firm and knows someone and that lands you a job for instance.I've seen example like that my whole life. Also, You can afford to buy the best prep material, like DAT destroyer, Bootcamp, etc.. Why wouldn't you score higher than someone who could not afford to acquire these resources? I never hated on my White counterparts for having a leg up but please, don't hate on URM's when someone is smart enough to see the disparity and tries to the best of their ability to level the playing field.

We are playing with semantics guys. We all know that there is a huge correlation between one's socioeconomic status and one's ethnicity for the most part. Let's be honest here! Being White comes with a lot of privileges.Period!! Daddy works at a firm and knows someone and that lands you a job for instance.I've seen example like that my whole life. Also, You can afford to buy the best prep material, like DAT destroyer, Bootcamp, etc.. Why wouldn't you score higher than someone who could not afford to acquire these resources? I never hated on my White counterparts for having a leg up but please, don't hate on URM's when someone is smart enough to see the disparity and tries to the best of their ability to level the playing field.

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen. Frenchy just made my point.
"Being White comes with a lot of privileges. Period!!"

According to him, it doesn't matter if you're from a poor farm in Eastern Europe and just immigrated to this country today, and are working 10 hr days and studying for 4 hrs after that. You are the SAME as a white person born and raised in the U.S. with lots of resources.

It doesn't matter if you're from the lower strata of Russia, which has been impoverished by sanctions. You are white, so you are privileged. Period.

You, a white person from a poor socioeconomic background in Europe, are privileged because "Being White comes with a lot of privileges. Period!!!"

And this is why you don't deserve preference over people like him, who are non-white.

There we go. Case Closed.

So Corrin and Bayonetta are coming to Smash4 tomorrow anyone else excited?

Look at this person who posted in the Dentalforums. S/he is JUST AS DISADVANTAGED AS YOU ARE @FrenchyM.D/D.O . S/he has been applying for 3+ CYCLES NOW.

But for some reason, S/he will not get into dental school while you will. Do you know why? Answer is below:

Tell me why your application deserves more consideration than his/hers? I bet you're going to dodge this question too.

Dodge your question...I would never. Anyways...I don't mind having a intellectual debate with you. In fact, I think it is healthy and needed in today's society but let's keep it professional. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities. I believe that in a broader context Indians/Pakistani are overrepresented in medicine. If you were to do a quick search in a random US hospital, you would find at least 4/5 Indian doctors in that hospital. If not more. I live in Boston where I noticed that MGH, Brigham, Beth Israel,etc... has plenty of Indian/Pakistani doctors. That being said, their goal is to diversify medicine. Not make it even more homogenous than it already is. I believe that's why she is not seen as an Under represented applicant in the world of medicine and as a result given a leg up. Do you see what they're trying to achieve?

Dodge your question...I would never. Anyways...I don't mind having a intellectual debate with you. In fact, I think it is healthy and needed in today's society but let's keep it professional. I will try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities. I believe that in a broader context Indians/Pakistani are overrepresented in medicine. If you were to do a quick search in a random US hospital, you would find at least 4/5 Indian doctors in that hospital. If not more. I live in Boston where I noticed that MGH, Brigham, Beth Israel,etc... has plenty of Indian/Pakistani doctors. That being said, their goal is to diversify medicine. Not make it even more homogenous than it already is. I believe that's why she is not seen as an Under represented applicant in the world of medicine and as a result given a leg up. Do you see what they're trying to achieve?

So you yourself admit that, even though s/he has come from as tough of a socioeconomic background as the OP of this thread or other URMs, s/he does not deserve the same consideration that you might because of the color of your skin. EVEN THOUGH S/HE HAS HAD VERY TRYING TIMES.

Now tell me how this is not reverse discrimination/racism?

Why do people assume that URMs with low grades and test scores had some sort of massive, inescapable life struggle that others didn't? You do realize that there are millions of normal families across the nation that are middle class for lower, of all demographics, with minimal resources and upbringing or their children. We are always quick to assume the absolute worst for URMs when they underperform, that it is acceptable and respectable, yet it is the death sentence of ORMs - a disgrace and embarrassment on their part - when they couldn't get it done. Isn't it *possible* that people underperformed, simply because they underperformed? I mean... More possible than not?

This is a major false narrative in admissions and it needs to end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

So Corrin and Bayonetta are coming to Smash4 tomorrow anyone else excited?

:soexcited:heck ya! But unfortunately I'm in banland :oops: through 3ds.... Also lost my omega ruby in august... The only game I can play is mario kart 7. but yeah I hope my bantime is lifted sometime soon.

:soexcited:heck ya! But unfortunately I'm in banland :oops: through 3ds.... Also lost my omega ruby in august... The only game I can play is mario kart 7. but yeah I hope my bantime is lifted sometime soon.
You can get banned on the 3ds? What happened? Wow we could have battled. My team isn't up to par though so i'd probably get swept.

this has got to be the most idiotic post on SDN ever.

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen. Frenchy just made my point.
"Being White comes with a lot of privileges. Period!!"

According to him, it doesn't matter if you're from a poor farm in Eastern Europe and just immigrated to this country today, and are working 10 hr days and studying for 4 hrs after that. You are the SAME as a white person born and raised in the U.S. with lots of resources.

It doesn't matter if you're from the lower strata of Russia, which has been impoverished by sanctions. You are white, so you are privileged. Period.

You, a white person from a poor socioeconomic background in Europe, are privileged because "Being White comes with a lot of privileges. Period!!!"

And this is why you don't deserve preference over people like him, who are non-white.

There we go. Case Closed.

I see what you're saying and trust me. I respect and validate what you're saying. Unfortunately, on a larger scale. Blacks have to overcome a lot more than any other races and that's the sad truth. Studies have been shown to prove that a white person and a black person having been raised in similar environments often leads to that white person doing better overall at the end of the day. I think its because society has a negative view on Black males. Like, we are always up to no good, dealing drugs, etc... Everything that comes to your mind when you think of a Black man is the very reason why being Black makes it extremely hard to succeed. You already have preconceived ideas of us. Look up White/Black barbie experiment. Scary stuff!!!

Why do people assume that URMs with low grades and test scores had some sort of massive life struggle that others didn't? We are always quick to assume the absolute worst. Isn't it *possible* that they underperformed simply because they underperformed?

This is a major false narrative in admissions and it need to end.

Good luck. They'll just roll over and play the victim and call you a racist for demanding equal standards for equal socioeconomic backgrounds.

Blacks have to overcome a lot more than any other races and that's the sad truth.

The BS keeps flowing. I'm not saying Blacks have it easy, but it's ignorant on your part to say Blacks have it the hardest.

You can get banned on the 3ds? What happened? Wow we could have battled. My team isn't up to par though so i'd probably get swept.
Kids online get salty when losing, so more then likely they report me after brawling. I have to admit though, I'm quite a bit- taunter:p! What version do you have?

I'm an american born indian-american. My family lived in a BASEMENT at one point due to excruciating financial difficulties and yet why should I be the one that is screwed over in admissions because I belong to a certain ethnicity? So what if there are many indians/pakistanis in medicine already? why should that hinder my career progress in any way?

for the record I'm already accepted to dental school (NYU) but had to work 10x harder than you did to achieve that. and the trump picture is supposed to be a joke but that went way over your victim minded filled head.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm an american born indian-american. My family lived in a BASEMENT at one point due to excruciating financial difficulties and yet why should I be the one that is screwed over in admissions because I belong to a certain ethnicity? So what if there are many indians/pakistanis in medicine already? why should that hinder my career progress in any way?

for the record I'm already accepted to dental school (NYU) but had to work 10x harder than you did to achieve that.

But you're an overrepresented minority. So none of your struggles matter.

/sarcasm.

Kids online get salty when losing, so more then likely they report me after brawling. I have to admit though, I'm quite a bit- taunter:p! What version do you have?
Haha too funny. I have the 3ds version. Who do you play?

I main Greninja and to a lesser extent I play Ganondorf and Dr. Mario.

So you yourself admit that, even though s/he has come from as tough of a socioeconomic background as the OP of this thread or other URMs, s/he does not deserve the same consideration that you might because of the color of your skin. EVEN THOUGH S/HE HAS HAD VERY TRYING TIMES.

Now tell me how this is not reverse discrimination/racism?

Yes, I never denied that she may have gone through a lot. Maybe even more than OP or myself. However, try to focus on what they are trying to achieve for a quick second and it will all make sense. All they see is a lot of Indians/White/Asians doctors. They want to diversify it but at the same time, they see that Blacks and Hispanics often times do not do as well in standardized test and in school. ( Why do you think that is BTW? Are Blacks and Hispanics innately dumber than other races? think about that). So what should they do? Not make exceptions and only take those who have 3.8 and 23AA. It would disqualify a lot of minorities. So what they do is they look at the whole package. URM status, community service, leadership, etc..which BTW URM's tend to do very well in those areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.