SMPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mattinthehat250

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding these 1-year programs that a lot of D.O schools have, like the Master of Science in Medical Health Sciences at Touro CA. I've been looking at the stats they have for matriculants and I notice they have pretty low averages, which is logical since the point of the program is to help people with below-average stats. But, does this mean that you might not get in if your GPA or MCAT is much higher than their average? And are these kinds of programs really only for people who have a very strong upward trend, or very extenuating circumstances that caused a low GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few questions regarding these 1-year programs that a lot of D.O schools have, like the Master of Science in Medical Health Sciences at Touro CA. I've been looking at the stats they have for matriculants and I notice they have pretty low averages, which is logical since the point of the program is to help people with below-average stats. But, does this mean that you might not get in if your GPA or MCAT is much higher than their average? And are these kinds of programs really only for people who have a very strong upward trend, or very extenuating circumstances that caused a low GPA?

I am in the 1 year program at PCOM.... There are people here with low 20's MCAT and mid 30's MCAT... There are also people here with high GPA's and low GPA's.... Many people I know either 1) enrolled because they didn't get in anywhere the previous cycle, 2) don't have a science background, 3) have a bad GPA and/or low MCAT, 4) because they want the masters!

So to answer your question... no, if you have good stats you will not be filtered out.

If you have the numbers to apply to med school, you'll simply be wasting your time doing a DO SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I generally advise any Osteopathic Hopeful against any sort of SMP unless you have like a 2.0 GPA from 10 years ago. It's much more time and cost effective to simply enroll, retake classes with a C or lower, and add in some upper div classes.

Case in point: I have below average stats <3.0 sGPA and I got into Boston University's MAMS program. It costs $60,000 but decided not to go. Got in this cycle to AZCOM. Best decision ever.