SN2'd first day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This was supposed to be a thread about the first day of SN2. However as with all intelligent life, things evolve. This thread has now become a support page for people following the SN2 plan. You can think of it as Alcoholics Anonymous for people studying to take the MCAT using the SN2 plan.

EDIT July 1, 2014:
If you are interested in @mehc012's Anki Deck, DO NOT SEND A PM. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7if6wgaif98rkoa/mehc012 SN2edCh4s.apkg
**A NOTE: @mehc012 and several others (myself included) want to tell you guys that studying from another person's deck will probably not be as beneficial to you as creating your own cards. Yes you can take advantage of @mehc012's generosity, but you won't get the same advantage. Study the material. Create cards as you go along. You will find it more helpful to your studying. **

EDIT July 22, 2014:
The following is @TBRBiosadist's official MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy:
@TBRBiosadist's strategy that got [him] from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

EDIT July 26, 2014:

@DoctorInASaree uploaded a guide to Verbal Reasoning. If you're interested, it's worth a look. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

EDIT 2, July 26, 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2d-first-day.1074344/page-52#post-15510851

The first day is BR physics chapter (translational motion) + 1/3 of the passages. I felt like I wasn't able to apply the stuff I read into the stuff I was tested on.

Has anyone felt this way when following the schedule? It just seems like the contents of the chapter didn't really stick in my head when I took the practice passages. Will this improve over time?

EDIT 3, March 4, 2015:

For verbal, if you are feeling lost and confused, I highly highly recommend you to look into the MCAT Strategy Course by @Jack Westin. I've been working with him, and nothing comes close to his course and teaching. It's a strategy course, so it will cover everything, not just the VR/CARS section.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Started a modified version of this on Monday! Since I work a 8-4:30 job at the moment, it's hard to fully incorporate SN2's schedule. I've finished Gen Chem Section I, Bio Section I (holy information), Physics Section I, and half of Gen Chem Section II. I was happy with my Gen Chem Sec. I and Physics Sec. I passage scores, but my Biology passages were a bit low (I haven't had any form of phys/anatomy).

TBR is way more beastly than I imagined. You all weren't lying.

Just hope I can keep at it with 0.5-1 chapters a day! My test date is scheduled for January 23rd as of now, but I'm considering a November test date.

Keep at it, everyone!

Started a modified version of this on Monday! Since I work a 8-4:30 job at the moment, it's hard to fully incorporate SN2's schedule. I've finished Gen Chem Section I, Bio Section I (holy information), Physics Section I, and half of Gen Chem Section II. I was happy with my Gen Chem Sec. I and Physics Sec. I passage scores, but my Biology passages were a bit low (I haven't had any form of phys/anatomy).

TBR is way more beastly than I imagined. You all weren't lying.

Just hope I can keep at it with 0.5-1 chapters a day! My test date is scheduled for January 23rd as of now, but I'm considering a November test date.

Keep at it, everyone!

Expect Biology passage scores for be low for the first two chapters. Pretty much everyone here did bad in those.

Members don't see this ad :)
...TBR is way more beastly than I imagined. You all weren't lying.

You will hate it at first... then you will slowly begin loving it. I think it's called stockholm syndrome. It's science!

SS8ufhj.gif

Reactions: 2 users
I supplement the EK with TPR bio as well something you might want to consider but the EK is more than enough

Does the EK relate well when moving over to TBR passages? Or do you find TBR's passages to be more inclined to test over the specific material they were reviewing?

They relate well but there will be a few stuff you dont know and you will have to go in TBR to fill that gap in content
so in essence, yes. To addendum, you really dont need TBR to fill the gaps if you have a good bio background.

Out curiosity what is everyone's sGPA and cGPA? Like how high do you feel you need to get Mcat wise to have a good chance with your gpa?

Out curiosity what is everyone's sGPA and cGPA? Like how high do you feel you need to get Mcat wise to have a good chance with your gpa?

Terrible.

sGPA = 3.25, cGPA = 3.4, graduate GPA of all science = 3.6. So I need at least 35+ on this bloody exam.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a 3.66 cumulative and about a 3.52 science. I had something like a 3.1 sGPA after freshman year because I didn't study hard enough and ended up getting B's in both sems of gen bio and gen chem. I then overhauled my work ethic and I've developed a solid upward trend since then

If I'm able to continue at my current pace I'll end up with ~ 3.75 and somewhere around 3.6 or 3.62 for science, which I'm hoping is okay since I'm a non-URM Californian. I really want to get a high score on the MCAT though. I hit rock bottom in fall 2012 when I struggled badly with ochem and then my dad passed away suddenly, which was horrible. I'm hoping I can get a 35+ because I know my Dad would be proud of that :)

I literally went to school with some of the nation's Einsteins. HOWEVER, I gladly accept my low GPA due to the once in a life time experiences I gained on that campus. Plus I demolished my post-bacc so there's hope.
phew.gif

GPA is good oGPA 3.97 science is around 3.9+ don't know exactly since I only have my cumulative one on my transcript. I haven't seen this info since like 2010-2011 but it's surprising how much you remember when you start getting at it. Regardless, I'm a horrible standardized test taker so this exam is definitely making me nervous.

cGPA 3.6 sGPA 3.5. URM and first of my family to finish college, drop all I had from the slums of Jamaica (which isn't much) to come to this country to pursue my dream of becoming a doctor .I have 3 years of research including a few mid and top level grants for undergrads. One paper that is being peer reviewed for publishing at a top level journal. President for the 2 largest premedical clubs (the only 2 clubs) at my school one of which I help founded. School tutor , lab technician for the school and work as apart of a program that helps freshman and transfer students acclimatise to the new school. I randomly volunteer at a soup kitchen around my community and have 500+ hours of shadowing. I want to get into Downstate medical or stoney brook because I am just so far in debt I really need a less expensive school , its 100 Jamaican dollar for 1 US so I hope a 30 is ok .. I really dont want to play the URM card but if it comes to it... Sorry for that rant I'm just soo stressed about this, uprooted my life and its all counting on how I can perform in this exam...:boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::whoa:*

Last edited:
I've got a 3.66 cumulative and about a 3.52 science. I had something like a 3.1 sGPA after freshman year because I didn't study hard enough and ended up getting B's in both sems of gen bio and gen chem. I then overhauled my work ethic and I've developed a solid upward trend since then

If I'm able to continue at my current pace I'll end up with ~ 3.75 and somewhere around 3.6 or 3.62 for science, which I'm hoping is okay since I'm a non-URM Californian. I really want to get a high score on the MCAT though. I hit rock bottom in fall 2012 when I struggled badly with ochem and then my dad passed away suddenly, which was horrible. I'm hoping I can get a 35+ because I know my Dad would be proud of that :)

Ugh, I wish I overhauled during undergrad. I didn't even know what I wanted to do until my the end of my senior year in college after my brother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. So all my grades were crap before then, and I never studied. Then it was too late to change my grades because I was in a double bachelors program, so I graduated with so many credits that it was impossible to budge. Then I hard a hard time adjusting to grad school so first semester didn't go so well, but last 3 semesters I averaged 3.85 or so!

Had a dream last night (more of a nightmare) that I was doing my test and every option for my multiple choose was HODOR!! scary **** :wtf:

my turn
4.0 oGPA 4.0 sGPA (duh)
Non-urm Californian but poor as hell and parents didnt complete college. I just want a 35 or higher so I can go to a California school

I had typed out a mini resume, but then I felt like a **** including it so took it out. I could include it but I felt like I was bragging or some ****

I literally went to school with some of the nation's Einsteins. HOWEVER, I gladly accept my low GPA due to the once in a life time experiences I gained on that campus. Plus I demolished my post-bacc so there's hope.
phew.gif
Harvard? Yale? Stanford? Princeton? MIT? CAL TECH?!
Just kidding.

3.75cgpa, 3.7sGPA from large public state school and I'll be applying as a non traditional student after doing TFA for two years. Will be applying as a TX resident.

the dream = baylor. Soooooo 35+ plz

Just kidding.

3.75cgpa, 3.7sGPA from large public state school and I'll be applying as a non traditional student after doing TFA for two years. Will be applying as a TX resident.

LOL I refused to buy the sweatshirt because I HATED the stigma that came with it.
Girl with your 39+ youll be a shoe in;)

I cry every night to this
images

I don't care where I go or what state. I just want to get into med school, ideally allopathic, because some international humanitarian NGO's do not accept osteopathic degrees. I just want to do international humanitarian work but I want to work for european NGO's because of better quality of life. Then when I am older and can't live in a straw hut in Africa anymore, I'd like to come back here and practice.

Just kidding.

You & I are the same person. Minus the nontrad/TFA part

3.96GPA I don't know what my sGPA is, but all but one of my courses have been Engineering courses. Aren't they all science courses?

I don't need the MCAT to gain admission to medical school (now you all know where I live - please no stalking! :p), but I want a 41+ for the other schools that I do apply to that require an MCAT score.

The Dream - Harvard. Or a school near SF/LA, but I haven't done any research to that end.

Last edited:
Can I ask everyone how they are preparing for the verbal section?

I'm finding that to be the most difficult part right now for me.

I really did not like the EK V101 Verbal. I'm about to start TPRH Verbal Workbook.

My cGPA is a 3.9 and my sGPA is >3.9. I knew I wanted to go into medicine so I went in with a mentality to rock all of my courses.

Can I ask everyone how they are preparing for the verbal section?

I'm finding that to be the most difficult part right now for me.

I really did not like the EK V101 Verbal. I'm about to start TPRH Verbal Workbook.

My cGPA is a 3.9 and my sGPA is >3.9. I knew I wanted to go into medicine so I went in with a mentality to rock all of my courses.
I'm alternating tprh / ek101 every day, and before even starting the schedule I went through TBR verbal. Try out sadist's strategy of reading the first and last paragraphs first. Although I can't say for sure yet as the sample size is too small, it seems to have helped me

edit: I should add that TBR verbal's "mindset" made me tank the first week or so in both TPRH & ek101. Although I was scoring well on TBR passages towards the end of the book, the things you start paying attention to / start ignoring actually cost you points on the other books' passages. tldr: do not recommend TBR verbal

3.96GPA I don't know what my sGPA is, but all but one of my courses have been Engineering courses. Aren't they all science courses?

I don't need the MCAT to gain admission to medical school (now you all know where I live - please no stalking! :p), but I want a 41+ for the other schools that I do apply to that require an MCAT score.

The Dream - Harvard. Or a school near SF/LA, but I haven't done any research to that end.

How does this tell us where you live? I read it three times, am I thick? What am I missing?

I'm alternating tprh / ek101 every day, and before even starting the schedule I went through TBR verbal. Try out sadist's strategy of reading the first and last paragraphs first. Although I can't say for sure yet as the sample size is too small, it seems to have helped me

edit: I should add that TBR verbal's "mindset" made me tank the first week or so in both TPRH & ek101. Although I was scoring well on TBR passages towards the end of the book, the things you start paying attention to / start ignoring actually cost you points on the other books' passages. tldr: do not recommend TBR verbal

I used TBR verbal for the first few weeks and didn't like it. My confidence in dropping the TV verbal book came from all of my friends who had tried it and didn't like it so I didn't mind dropping it quickly.

I just found the TPRH verbal workbook and I hope to start it today. I hated EK and I hope that this TPR is better.

I kind of like the idea to read the first and last paragraph. I will give a shot perhaps tomorrow. Today I wanan try TPR the way I'm use to doing it to see if it actually is better. Don't wanna mix two unknown variables.

Same all these posts about Harvard snd such. Like the above poster mentioned, I just want to get into med school. The school I choose will be the one where I will leave with the least amount of debt.

Don't need an MCAT? Brb moving to where Saree lives

Saree you are my hero, going to make an incredible doctor!

Can anyone tell me how I can change the dates on this to reflect my actual test date? I read where it says to download my own calendar but I'm not even sure how to do that, or which calendar to download. Once I download it, how do I input the Sn2d schedule? Thanks!

So today something interesting happened. I got to a physical science passage in the CBT I was taking and for some reason I panicked and it completely blocked my train of thought on easy questions. I eventually paused and took some deep breaths and got my MCAT game back on but if this happened during the real deal I would be done. Anyone else encounter this problem? What strategies do you use to stop it or deal with it?

Can anyone tell me how I can change the dates on this to reflect my actual test date? I read where it says to download my own calendar but I'm not even sure how to do that, or which calendar to download. Once I download it, how do I input the Sn2d schedule? Thanks!
I had problems with that too , @mehc012 a active participate made a nice thread with the links to past posts about this. See below and don't forget to tell her thanks !
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2ed-calendar-shifts-4mo-calendar-file.931815/

Reactions: 2 users
So today something interesting happened. I got to a physical science passage in the CBT I was taking and for some reason I panicked and it completely blocked my train of thought on easy questions. I eventually paused and took some deep breaths and got my MCAT game back on but if this happened during the real deal I would be done. Anyone else encounter this problem? What strategies do you use to stop it or deal with it?
I would sing this to myself
upload_2014-7-25_15-23-44.jpeg

I rarely do passages in order because there are topics that I am more familiar with. I generally get a sense of what they are testing and if it's not my strength I just move on. This strategy works for me because the topics I am comf. with I can usually do in 3/4 min which leaves me ample time for the other passages. I usually have about 10-12 min left over each time to do a read through.

How I felt about my PS scores before reading July 24/25 MCAT thread:
spirit.gif

How I felt about my PS scores after reading July 24/25 MCAT thread:
k8yXM3a.gif

Explain...

idk I am just really happy with how my PS scores have been progressing and I feel like once I take my test I'll be a bit surprised which is no bueno. I think I am going to buy some GS tests and see what all this heavy calculation nonsense is all about.

#maxingoutmycredicard #premedlife