spouse of med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

limetree6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If my wife is applying to Ph.D in biological sciences,
and i'm a med student
I was wondering if my wife would get a special consideration
at the med school I'm attending
anyone have some info?

Members don't see this ad.

While I don't have first-hand experience at this, I met a med student at stony brook who applied with his wife to med schools simultaneously. He said Stony was a school that worked with them to ensure they would both get in (i'm sure they had amazing stats and everything). Since you're a current student already, they'd probably be happy to work with you.

Good luck.

If she met the criteria, they might be more inclined to accept her, knowing she'd actually attend the school. However if she has lower than average stats for the school, don't expect it...it's still a competitive process.

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine who is a post-doc at the Whitehead Institute told me before that couples can get in together and she has seen this often in her career. She says that even when one person is clearly outstanding and the other not really, that because an organization wants one person so badly, the organization will accept the partner because they know that if they don't, they won't get the candidate they really do want.

I would also suggest, if you're not already, getting close with administrative people at your school, talking this situation through with them to get their feedback. You're probably not the first person to do this so perhaps you can get advice from people at the school who had to deal with this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.