Step 2cs December 2018 score release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMG 4th year here. Decided to start this for anyone stressing during the ridiculous waiting period for step 2 cs! I made a post about some of the things I did wrong, then deleted it because no one can tell me if I failed or not. Also, people telling me to not stress because I will more than likely pass was also not helpful as we all know someone who “surprisingly” failed. I’ve been losing sleep since test day since at this point I’m convinced there’s no way I passed and wishing I can just take it over one more time. Also really bummed about continuing interviews at this point. So for anyone in my position, you’re not alone! here’s to positive thinking and relaxing thoughts until dec 12 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Passed via FCVS. Such a weird exam and release time line. Even if you're pretty sure you did OK the wait can make you doubt yourself if you think about it too hard (or spend a lot of time on SDN). Cheers.

IMG took exam on 10/24. FCVS yesterday said undertermined but today it says PASSED! Best Christmas ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How definitive is the pass/fail from FCVS? Like if I got a pass, I can be 100% sure I passed; and a fail means a fail?

Failed 1st attempt. Expecting retake score Wednesday. FCVS says status: fail, 2 attempts. Permit gone but no formal score. Could it be possible that they just haven't updated the new score, or did I fail twice?

Has anyone retaken it and looked at fcvs? Does it go back to undetermined or stay as fail when you retake?

Failed 1st attempt. Expecting retake score Wednesday. FCVS says status: fail, 2 attempts. Permit gone but no formal score. Could it be possible that they just haven't updated the new score, or did I fail twice?

Has anyone retaken it and looked at fcvs? Does it go back to undetermined or stay as fail when you retake?

I have retaken the exam after initially failing it back in June. Until up to yesterday it was saying undetermined but today morning when I checked it said pass.

Has anyone else had this experience?
From looking at previous people who did the FCVS trick, it is pretty definitive I'd say, for both pass and fail.

I'd wait for your score report so you know what you need to fix in order to pass next time.

Fcvs: fail.
Not even sure wat I did wrong. Did hx and pertinent physical on every case, as well as counseled. I thght my diagnosis were correct too.
Ran out of time on one pt note on the work up, and one I ran out of time copy/pasting the supporting evidence. Completely lost rn.

I was a retake. Says attempts 2, PASS. It was undetermined before. I think you might have failed. I would wait for official score to be 100%. In the mean time start making a plan B for retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not even sure wat I did wrong. Did hx and pertinent physical on every case, as well as counseled. I thght my diagnosis were correct too.
Ran out of time on one pt note on the work up, and one I ran out of time copy/pasting the supporting evidence. Completely lost rn.
I’m so sorry man. I know what your feeling right now. Wait for the score report to show which section you failed. In the mean time try to figure out a retake plan. Stay tough man. You will get through this.

FCVS: Pass

Man, everything about this exam sucks. The cost, the anxiety, faking empathy to fake patients, rushing through the notes, the wait for your score, the cryptic grading process. It's so silly how they made this exam even harder. Thankful to be done.

Also, here are some other pieces of information for anxious people like me in the future:

-I went from "Undetermined" to "Pass" on the FCVS website.

-People can receive their Step 2 CS score before you even if you took your exam weeks or a month before them. They can even receive their score a week or weeks before you if you took it on the same day at the same center. This happened to me. I took my exam on the same day at the same center as two of my friends, and they got their score two weeks before me. Don't freak out if this happens to you. The NBME posts a reporting period for each Step 2 CS testing period, so you can check that to see when you will receive your score by. Apparently 99% of people will receive their score within the first 3 weeks of the start of a reporting period.

-Your Step 2 CS permit goes down on the NBME website sometime on Sunday the week your score will be released. Your NBME report will become available Wednesday of that week and your FCVS score will be available on Monday/Tuesday of that week. The FCVS score shows only "Undetermined", "Fail", or "Pass" and does not provide an official report. But based on what I've seen, Pass and Fail on their website seem 100% accurate. Undetermined simply means your score is not out yet. But you have to wait until the Wednesday to get your official score report and score breakdown from the NBME

Hopefully this can provide some useful information for future Step 2 CS takers. I know I was super nervous waiting for two more weeks at "Undetermined" after my two friends who took their exam at the same location on the same day already got their score back.

Reactions: 2 users

This exam is such a hit or miss.... keep your head up and focus on the next one. You are so close to getting this test done once and for all. What did you use to study?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This exam is such a hit or miss.... keep your head up and focus on the next one. You are so close to getting this test done once and for all. What did you use to study?

First aid, practiced with friends as sps, some who have passed. The only thing I can think of is not practicing the patient notes write up as much? Idk. I ran out of time couple times, missing imp sh** like workup in one case, and supporting evidence for ddx’s in another, but I really did feel like my diagnosis were right, and in every note I included hpi, physical exam, social hx, sexual hx, etc etc. Let’s see wat the score report says.

Can anyone plz answer my query.
Does almost everyone get their results during first week(ist Wednesday) of their reporting period?
Im taking exam on 3rd week of jan (exam period is 1st jan-26jan) and reporting will be (6th march -27march)so am I supposed to expect my score on 6th march or 27th?

Can anyone plz answer my query.
Does almost everyone get their results during first week(ist Wednesday) of their reporting period?
Im taking exam on 3rd week of jan (exam period is 1st jan-26jan) and reporting will be (6th march -27march)so am I supposed to expect my score on 6th march or 27th?
98-99% get their results in the first 3 weeks from date of first score reporting.

What’s the best way to update programs about CS?

Just resend your score through eras. As much as I wanted to shout to the rooftops that I passed this ridiculous thing, it’s not going to make programs change their mind about you (unless they specifically asked you to upload because they need it to rank.) Everyone knows it’s ridiculous.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone who passed. Please can those who took the exam a second time and passed tell us what they did differently? Please.

Congrats to everyone who passed. Please can those who took the exam a second time and passed tell us what they did differently? Please.
Biggest thing for me was the summary/ counseling at the end, it was the reason why I failed CIS component. I fixed that on the second take. Kept near everything else the same. Worked on using empathy words to further fluff for CIS.

They will tell you that they are not feeling well in the beginning when you ask how they are doing. Don’t just brush that off as nothing. Or they might talk about a dead family member in family history. Say “I’m sorry to hear that” or whatever you want to say but acknowledge it.

Didn’t get an email but the scores are up on OASIS - IMG. Passed

Edit: Email received at 7:50am

Last edited:
IMG - monday morning got a Pass on the fcvs website and now i just got the report with a Pass! Looks like the fcvs trick is accurate

How about people who failed ICE initially, but passed on second attempt? Can you please share what you did differently? Please?

How about people who failed ICE initially, but passed on second attempt? Can you please share what you did differently? Please?

For ICE, I just did first aid and after comments from my school, I made sure to only list MOST PROBABLE diagnoses. Like chest pain can be anything such as MI, aortic dissection, PE, etc. but if the patient complains of some cough or reflux symptoms, GERD should be above PE, aortic dissection, pneumothorax in most cases. This isn’t all inclusive but I hope you can see what I’m getting at. Remember most probable diagnoses based on the symptoms the patient is having and not listing those “white buffalo” diagnoses so to speak.

Failed twice officially. USMD. I am scared I wont match, but spoke with admin and made a tentative plan. My school doesn't know why specifically I am failing or what makes up the grade, but ICE failed both times only.

My only chance to go into the match is to retake CS by 1/6. I am honestly alone without other med students or access to patients because of the holidays and this is not easy. Anyone who could offer time to skype with me and be my fake patient would mean a lot. Anyone who has some idea of how grading works and could speak to me on the phone would mean a lot. Also a prep course may be a longshot, but if there is one you know of over holidays, please do let me know.

I can be reached at [email protected]. Anyone willing to help, it would mean a lot to talk to you if you'd be willing to email your phone number. Thank you.

IMG - Pass (first attempt)

Took the exam on 11/03 in Philadelphia

My permit link never went down on OASIS. It’s still up. FCVS changed from undetermined to pass on Monday morning around 5am EST, which I didn’t expect given that my permit link is still up. I got an official email at 7:40am EST that the score report is up and it was.

Not sure if this permit link thing works for IMGs so I thought I’d write this. If anyone (especially IMGs) have any questions, feel free to ask.

I only used First Aid, went through all the cases with a friend just once, alternating as patient and doctor. I read the mini cases the day before and practiced 2 notes the day before. My main focus was to just do everything systematically. Admittedly I should have practiced the cases at least once more, learned the differential diagnoses better from the mini cases, and practiced more notes for sure. It would also help for IMGs to become familiar with some of the common medication trade names used the in the US as I had trouble understanding those and had to ask them to repeat, or even spell them out for me.

Failed twice officially. USMD. I am scared I wont match, but spoke with admin and made a tentative plan. My school doesn't know why specifically I am failing or what makes up the grade, but ICE failed both times only.

My only chance to go into the match is to retake CS by 1/6. I am honestly alone without other med students or access to patients because of the holidays and this is not easy. Anyone who could offer time to skype with me and be my fake patient would mean a lot. Anyone who has some idea of how grading works and could speak to me on the phone would mean a lot. Also a prep course may be a longshot, but if there is one you know of over holidays, please do let me know.

I can be reached at [email protected]. Anyone willing to help, it would mean a lot to talk to you if you'd be willing to email your phone number. Thank you.

I’m sorry you have to go through this, and I really hope you pass this time! I don’t think I’m the best person to help, my ICE wasn’t amazing, but I did pass. And I’m an IMG. But if you have no one else to practice with, I can skype if we can figure out a time!
Good luck!! Just keep your head in the game, you’ll get it right!

Failed ICE... I thght I had right dxs, ran out of time wiriting the note couple times tho. Did the right physical exams... back pain - straight leg raise test. Mini mental for any depression/fatigue. I wrote my mini mental findings in my HPI. I’m still kinda lost. wrote GA and VS in the note too. I got one “x” in the above performance. Rest was borderline to low.

Failed ICE... I thght I had right dxs, ran out of time wiriting the note couple times tho. Did the right physical exams... back pain - straight leg raise test. Mini mental for any depression/fatigue. I wrote my mini mental findings in my HPI. I’m still kinda lost. wrote GA and VS in the note too. I got one “x” in the above performance. Rest was borderline to low.

Sorry to hear about your result. Be strong you will get through this. If you want we can look at your patient note that you did during your practice (Timed) to tell you what PN mistakes you made. In PN the main thing is to put most of what the pt told you, if not all, in orderly fashion within time limit. Since you mentioned you ran out of time on couple of your notes that means you missed adding important info to PN. PN is incomplete if you missed asking details and adding that important supporting info into your PN about the specific complaints the pt had. So your HPI questions play an important role. You must get good history from the pt to have a reliable PN for doctors to understand. If you take incomplete history or run out of time to put important info then your PN suffers and your overall performance. If you ran out of time then you have to work on your typing speed.

Last edited:

How many x’s did you get below borderline on your ICE?

Sorry for the fail result.
How is your typing speed: is it fast and consistent. You need a comfortable 60+ to get further to Right in ICE. Once your are sure of your speed, you will not be nervous to finish up with your patient before 15 minutes, over use initials or mess up your HPI vs exam layout.
Practice this with First Aid. Practice, practice cases with timed cases and patient exams until is autopilot!!

Sorry for the fail result.
How is your typing speed: is it fast and consistent. You need a comfortable 60+ to get further to Right in ICE. Once your are sure of your speed, you will not be nervous to finish up with your patient before 15 minutes, over use initials or mess up your HPI vs exam layout.
Practice this with First Aid. Practice, practice cases with timed cases and patient exams until is autopilot!!

Never really thght much of typing speed, but i agree with the ‘auto-pilot’ comment. In hindsight, I did waste time contemplating how/wat to write rather than it being autopilot. Im gonna practice the F*** out of this, I need to stop taking this exam lightly.

Hi Guys, I' m preparing to retake Step 2CS after failing ICE . I would like to get your opinion on this : CS first aid 5th edition vs 6th Edition, any change in the content ? . Does the 6th edition have any update regarding the changes USMLE recently make for Step 2CS ? Thank you !

Hi Guys, I' m preparing to retake Step 2CS after failing ICE . I would like to get your opinion on this : CS first aid 5th edition vs 6th Edition, any change in the content ? . Does the 6th edition have any update regarding the changes USMLE recently make for Step 2CS ? Thank you !
6th edition has pretty much the same cases to my knowledge.

I failed ICE on my first attempt after using only the First Aid CS book. I would recommend Amboss. I did a free trial of it, and I think it helped me realize what the test wants. The thing that I noticed on Amboss was that the supporting details in the ddx was WAY more than what First Aid does. That's the only thing I did differently the 2nd time, and all of my stars for the ICE section was above average.

I srsly feel like the pass rate of this exam isn’t as high as they say. Then again, I’m on the wrong side of the statistic.