Stewart University Med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I created a new sign-in for anonymity (based on the first thing I saw when I cast about my room for a new name - you like it? :)).

I was born and raised in Los Gatos and was down there today for an orthodontist appointment. It's a gorgeous, affluent Silicon Valley suburb, and my family and several close friends' parents are involved in the medical community there. Funny that no one has heard that there is a new medical school in town...I would have applied there, instead of wasting my time with Michigan, Penn, etc!

Anyway, in case you are curious, Stewart Med's admissions office is apparently across the street from Happy Hound (great burger stand) and between a strip mall (Nob Hill grocery store/Baskin Robbins/etc.) and a place called Helm that sells patio furniture. I stared at the Google Map satellite picture for a while but can't picture the building it's in... It's diagonally across the intersection from my orthodontist's office, so I actually drove past it today. Funny, I didn't notice anything! ;)

I really, really, really wish I had seen Stewart's contact info page before I went down there today... :mad: It would have taken less than a minute to stop and knock on their door!

So WTF are these guys doing in my town?
just go back there and check it out.. and then report to us :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man Stewart University is a good medical college I bet that if they were accredited their students would be competing up with those folk at Johns Hopkins and Dartmouth for residencies.

They cut out the unnecessary prep semester for step 1 so that means everyone has to be really prepared and really smart.

You guys should stop making fun of that place it's a good school.

Who said Dartmouth was a good medical school? Meredith Grey?

Found this

Dear Kinu - The Stewart University - New Scotland International School of Medicine is very real and offers a very real opportunity to individuals who might otherwise not get a chance to study medicine in the USA due to inadequate numbers of medical schools and medical school seats and age discrimination for applicants outside of the 21 to 29 year old range. Although we have only about 45 professors, all with doctorates, we have not spent much time with publicists like almost all the other medical schools in the USA, with their almost continuous press releases. We have experienced a flood of stalking behavior from students concentrated at a small number of schools (particularly Wayne State University) who have created a fictitious group on Facebook, and stolen copyrighted material from our website repeatedly at www.stewartmed.org and posted it illegally on other websites including www.studentdoctor.net. I suspect that these same individuals, some likely related to Al Qaida, have misled you regarding our school because it seeks to give US military veterans admissions preference to the school. Someone's goofy conclusion that our school admissions line has anything to do with "WEED ABATEMENT INC." is either out of date information regarding the phone that we have used for the last 20 months, and the fax information claimed to be "Clearly Yosemite" is also either out of date or some discreditors idea of a joke. Most of the stalkers, again generally middle eastern in origin, seem to have a political ax to grind with the school, for what reason we simply do not know. The claims concerning our PO Box location in a mall is very immature and demonstrates a lack of knowledge of business practices in general. Yes, and the website has had many bad links and not gotten updated and is very simple, due to lack of web designer resources although a detailed catalog is downloadable from the website. The school has been written about in three different articles carried on the same date in the Ventura County Star newspaper, and again is very real. We would like to see a page on Wikipedia describing the school, without some competing Carribean medical school's employee posing as a concerned individual getting you to delete the page. I can assure you that Saul Amezcua, Ohmssoo7, is not the "chancellor" of the school but a student, that the school has an active AMSA chapter (American Medical Student Association, and the reason for using PayPal is to cut down on the overhead of students bad checks. You claimed that this method of business practice "takes the cake" but if you were dealing with some of the flakes that have stalked every person listed on our website, called them at home, demanded that they quit their jobs working at Stewart University - New Scotland International School of Medicine, stolen their personal copyrighted pictures, harrassed even the real estate agent listed to help students find student housing, and the webmistress whose wedding pictures were stolen off her copyrighted site by these stalkers and posted on studentdoctor.net illegally, THAT IS WHY WE CANNOT post the rest of our current faculty members pictures or credentials. A group of middle eastern foreign nationals centered around or affiliated with Wayne State University have stalked and frightened many of our faculty and staff. These nuts call us at all hours of the day and night outside of the normal business hours and on the weekend claiming to be interested applicants, when in reality they are stalkers, joksters, pranksters, immature, unethical, deceiptful, liars. That is what we are dealing with, and that is why we are currently keeping a low profile and not releasing much information about the school. Even when one of your editors called and talked to one of our faculty members: "I did email one of the listed professors for the school (who is a real academic) and he did indicate he was asked to teach there and said he would, but said it's not a good place for becoming a real doctor." the editor did not acknowledge that the faculty member answered back, was real and confirmed that the school was real. Ohmssoo7, Saul, is not the AMSA president, as one of your editors has tried to conclude, but for privacy reasons and to protect the president of the AMSA chapter, I will not divulge her name. Saul is the Associated Students President. With regard to the comment "This is reeking too much of the movie Accepted." yes, there has not been a new medical school open in California, or anywhere west of the Mississippi River in over 45 years, so obviously it will appear to be something new, because it is, and it is more egalitarian that other medical schools in the US. Signed, Someone who actually knows about the school that your editors are unable to effectively research accurately. —Preceding unsigned

here

Steward University seems to not only lack even the slightest modicum of legitimacy in the eyes of the American medical community, but is disgustingly xenophobic and blatantly racist. They apparently have a problem with students from the middle east. I'm not an Arab, but have friends that are and they, like most rational people, have elected to attend legitimate schools like Jefferson, Penn, U of Miami and etc for their medical educations. I wonder what sort of neo-nazi doctors they'll be churning out within 2 years, "sorry sir, you are affected with arab." haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Steward University seems to not only lack even the slightest modicum of legitimacy in the eyes of the American medical community, but is disgustingly xenophobic and blatantly racist. They apparently have a problem with students from the middle east. I'm not an Arab, but have friends that are and they, like most rational people, have elected to attend legitimate schools like Jefferson, Penn, U of Miami and etc for their medical educations. I wonder what sort of neo-nazi doctors they'll be churning out within 2 years, "sorry sir, you are affected with arab." haha

Stewart University is the medical school for Hitler youths.

Wait. I thought they were part of the war on terror, what with the whole outing of AUA as a terrorist haven and al qaeda affiliate.

This place plastered our Life Sciences building with fliers last August (I go to SFSU). They were Everywhere, multiple copies on some doors, even slid into the official department notice board. Hey, we may not be a UC school but we're not stupid. I just don't get why they bothered. You should have seen the pre-med advisor's reaction when I pulled the one off his door and showed him.:laugh:

Wait. I thought they were part of the war on terror, what with the whole outing of AUA as a terrorist haven and al qaeda affiliate.

The scottish rifleman society is the para-military wing of the Stewart Med program. All medical students are required to serve. The reason they can't actually tell you where the school is due to the fact that top secret military training is being conducted there.

I am not going to speculate as to where they will strike first, but if I went to Wayne State, I would be very nervious......

I know I haven't posted anything on this thread, but it's my abosolute fave!! And Panda Bear commented on the "Number One Leader in US Medical education" in his great post this morning:

http://pandabearmd.com/blog/

I know I haven't posted anything on this thread, but it's my abosolute fave!! And Panda Bear commented on the "Number One Leader in US Medical education" in his great post this morning:

http://pandabearmd.com/blog/
" Stewart University (as it is also known) promises to provide affordable and easily accessible medical training to people who, by virtue of bad grades, poor test scores, lack of a high school education, and other injustices are incapable of gaining admission to more traditional American medical schools."

Haha. Well done Panda, well done.

How have I been on SDN this long and NOT seen this thread?!

Best....thread....ever!

Members don't see this ad :)
The scariest thing is that he doesn't automatically come off as a blithering idiot.

The course catalog still has that bit about "1st medical school to open west of the Mississippi in 45 years." I guess UMKC founded in 1971 doesn't count, or UCSD which took it's first class in 1968. Or maybe in the Stewart universe 2008-1971 and 2008-1968 are both greater than 45, who knows.

This Dr. William Stewart is a real guy. I have never met him, but I remember that he performed surgery on my father.

Did he prescribe your father Skittles for pain after the operation? If so, I think it's our guy.

This past week, i've been in Houston for the AMSA national convention. It turns out that Stewart University introduced a resolution into our House of Delegates to become an international affiliate chapter. Needless to say, they were rejected.

That skittles comments....loved it. I've got tears from laughing so hard.

Seriously you guys, this entire thread has been a fantastic time waster between now and Thursday when I found out where I matched. Thanks for that, and I'm just sorry I found this too late to see the youtube videos.

1. Jonathan: Okay, so, out of boredom, I emailed their lecturer, Mihaela Pepel, with the following:
    I don’t know if you actually check this email or care, but Stewart University, a fairly well-known scam/hoax, is claiming you as one of their lecturers.
    http://www.stewartmed.org/faculty.html
    Cheers,
    Jonathan
    ——————————————–
    She responded! Following:
    Thank you.
    I am not one of their lecturers.
    Do you have any suggestions in how to clarify this issue?
    Mihaela Pepel, MD, ND
    Dr Pepel Family Practice
    15880 SW Quarry Road
    Lake Oswego, OR, 97035
    Phone: (503)-***-****
    Fax: (503)-***-****
    http://www.DrPepelFamilyPractice.com
    ——————————————–
    Hahaha! Good times.

woooooo
Someone should email that Jacob guy and get some funny going.

woooooo
Someone should email that Jacob guy and get some funny going.
Sounds like someone should really contact the California AG. I find it hard to believe that a company operating within the continental US, even if they are claiming association with Indian reservations, and especially considering their claimed associations to the fed govt, would be able to avoid a fraud investigation / charges.

HAHAHAH Glad to see the saga continue. I was thinking of inviting a rep from stewart med to come speak at my undergrad. Do you think they would get excited and risk showing up in person or would they think I was setting up a sting?

Personally I would be really afraid to meet anyone associated with this. All of the nonsensical crap that comes out of these "student(s)" mouths is really quite terrifying. The sad thing is that they (or maybe it's just still Saul) seem to actually believe what they are saying and that they are super intelligent and have argued logically against everyone's disbelief.

We made the "Update" section:

http://www.grahamazon.com/2008/03/stewart-university-sketchy-new-medical-school/

also, check out in the comments section at the bottom for quotes by "Jacob" a "student" at Stewart ... amazing. the racism is there telling someone they should have bought an American computer

I believe our friend Jacob is none other than Saul Amezcua. He posted his email as [email protected], which is the same email he posted here at valuemd as ohmssoo7, where he gave away the info that he was a kin major (which Saul was). It's interesting to note that the admin of that forum notes Saul's ip address as coming from New York, while Stewart claims to be in California. Either Saul's posting from a proxy, or he's skipping class!! Someone call the dean and let them know ASAP Saul has not be attending class...tsk tsk

And why does that not surprise me?

I knew it! It was right when "Jacob" said about answering questions to our satisfaction. Plus the whole Saul-like convoluted and defensive logic.

<-- does not want to run into Saul in a dark alley.

Maybe he's at a national AMSA meeting in NY?? :)

OH MY GOD! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm an Arab from Wayne State who is in the Stewart group... I'm DYING of laughter right now! why hasn't this been brought to my attention?

Read this little gem:

The school was founded in January 2007 by former officers of the armed forces. The chancellor of the school, William Bullock Stewart III was himself a medical student at the University of Michigan School of Medicine at Ann Harbor, Maryland and has a graduate degree in physics from the University of California Santa Barbara. The chancellor also recently served in operation Iraqi Freedom.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

From this link:

http://www.iskenderiye.com/story/stewart-university-school-of-medicine/

Saul is actively posting on the comments here:

http://www.grahamazon.com/2008/03/stewart-university-sketchy-new-medical-school/

Do you think we might be able to get him to put his videos back up on YouTube? I miss them!

And seriously, someone needs to do a Stewie U shirt on CafePress.

So, I emailed Saul. Ok, so I emailed "Jacob" and the following is the course of our emails over a 24hr period (they guy gets back to you quick).

Sent: Tue 3/25/08 5:11 PM To: [email protected] .ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} >quoting your post:
mmmkay,

Oh man you got me there…

I looked up your e-mail address as well and it turns out you work for one of the carribbean schools

very clever…
>end quote

No, you didn't.

Happily, I am accepted to a US school
and I do see the need for international schools but at least try to
get your **** together before you start one. You guys are
out of "A Confederacy of Dunces", the louder you yell that
you are legit and are being unfairly attacked the more
obvious it is to anyone who is smart enough to use the internet
that you are a house of cards. IF you find someone stupid enough
to give you money it is almost certainly a federal felony for you
to accept it. But the real medical issue is how someone as stupid as you achieves homeostasis.
Oh, and please...whatever you do, don't diversify you email accounts, it is so much more fun this way!

Two choices:
scrap it and start over once you get some people with cred. to sign on

find a new day job

al Qaeda?!?! WTF?...do they want you to start a flight school?

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:14:12 -0700
Subject: Stewart Med

Hi,
One of our students forwarded me one of your messages. I do not know what your name is or what school you go to but I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Kind Regards,
Saul Amezcua
Student Body President
Stewart University School of Medicine
New Scotland International
Class of 2010

P.S. Is there a reason why you are using Claude Bernard's term to get your message across?

Date: Wed, March 26, 2008 11:59 am
To: <[email protected]>
.ExternalClass #EC_wmMessage .EC_ExternalClass #EC_EC_wmMessage .EC_EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass #EC_wmMessage .EC_ExternalClass #EC_EC_wmMessage body.EC_EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} Saul,

I am, of course, highly skeptical of the institution you claim to study at. Much of he information your organization releases is confrontational, paranoid and/or not in keeping with the level of professionalism expected of a school of any sort. I personally believe the school is a genuine attempt to create a new med school rather than a fraud but it is obvious you have neither qualified faculty nor a classroom location. How do you plan to remedy this? Would it not be better to recruit staff from operating schools? Set up an agreement with a tribal group offering free medical consultation for member in exchange for a location and see if you can get some actual funding and professional advice? If none of those seem like questions you can answer how about these:

How many students do you have?
How much of the instruction is web-based?
I see you take transfer students… if a student cannot do well at their original school why do you think they will do better at yours?
Given that your school does not require the MCAT, why are you listed in the reporting system?

Clear, honest answers to these questions would dispel much of my skepticism.

Thank you,

Peter

Oh, and the homeostasis comment was to see if you would look it up on Wikipedia…

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:46:51 -0700
Subject: RE: Stewart Med

Peter,
Homeostasis is a term that I learned back when I was taking my pre-medicine biology. You have many questions that warrant two things. Either you failed out of your present medical school and you are looking to jump ship, or you want to see what new competition you may have when applying for residencies. For a person who claims, that he is in medical school, you sure have plenty of time on your hands to ask all of these questions.

Since you have built yourself quite a informational snuff box lets see what we can do:

1.We have a little less than a hundred students or so I think.

2.Web-based, I wouldn't know I never did the math on it.

3. You know sometimes students transfer because of location,location location.

4. Given the volume of students that have been applying we might require the MCAT later on.

On a side note, Yes, I am a member of the American Medical Student Association

Member ID number:558078

Kind Regards,
Saul Amezcua
Student Body President
Stewart University School of Medicine
New Scotland International
Class of 2010

p.s. Many students like yourself make the assumption that this school's main focus is to take adavantage of people. This can be compared to the assumption that the femur is the strongest bone in the body. Both are incorrect. Do you honestly actually believe that America's finest would participate in a scam? By the way, the strongest bone in the body is the occipital, and if you are going to try to look this up on wikipedia, its incorrect.

Date: Wed, March 26, 2008 4:20 pm
To: <[email protected]>
.ExternalClass #EC_wmMessage .EC_hmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass #EC_wmMessage body.EC_hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;} Saul,

As you really only answered one of my questions, I feel I cannot properly understand
just what your school is about unless you re-post your YouTube videos. I never got to see them.
I am not about to trade medical tidbits with you... I was insulting you, I can't believe you replied.

Peter

Oh, and I haven't had a chance to fail out yet. I said I had been accepted, nothing more. Do try to pay attention.

Peter,
I answered the questions truthfully, and its obvious to me you like playing the role of detective but in this case the trail has gone cold. Maybe its because we are genuine and a brand new medical school is here to give people an opportunity to serve not only in their communities but also in the armed forces.

Its offensive and ridiculous for you to think that retired Naval Officers are involved with a scam!

Sincerely,
SUSOM
I know, longest post ever.

The trail will never go cold.

SDN Internet Mafia 4 lyfe.

By the way, the strongest bone in the body is the occipital, and if you are going to try to look this up on wikipedia, its incorrect.

I thought the mandible was the strongest bone? :confused:

My question is how does a person have the time to do a two year, ten month accelerated MD program at the top medical school in the country, become class president, publicize his school through youtube, personally write to prospective students, and retort jealous wannabes all at the same time?

Peter,
Homeostasis is a term that I learned back when I was taking my pre-medicine biology. You have many questions that warrant two things. Either you failed out of your present medical school and you are looking to jump ship, or you want to see what new competition you may have when applying for residencies. For a person who claims, that he is in medical school, you sure have plenty of time on your hands to ask all of these questions.

Did anyone else snarf chocolate milk while reading this?? :laugh:

I'm shaking in my boots because I'm also c/o 2010!! How will I ever get into a residency now??!?

Dong bone? BACULUM!!!!!!

Scarily enough you can buy these on the 'net... they suggest you use them "as a coffee stirrer" WTF? check: http://www.skullsunlimited.com/baculums.html

Maybe this is where Stewart gets their cadavers!

As for all the emails... what I don't get is why this "student" even wrote back. If some random crackpot emails me mostly just to insult me I don't think I'd write back, let alone three times. I was procrastinating from writing my thesis. What's his excuse?:laugh:

Scarily enough you can buy these on the 'net... they suggest you use them "as a coffee stirrer" WTF? check: http://www.skullsunlimited.com/baculums.html

Maybe this is where Stewart gets their cadavers!

As for all the emails... what I don't get is why this "student" even wrote back. If some random crackpot emails me mostly just to insult me I don't think I'd write back, let alone three times. I was procrastinating from writing my thesis. What's his excuse?:laugh:

Well done good sir .. well done

Anyone else get the email for the new "Trinity Medical School" in St. Vincent? They claim to be a boutique medical school (???)

Do I smell another Stewart University?

I swear (but it has been 5 years) that our anatomy professor said that the petrous portion of the temporal bone was the hardest bone in the body. I guess you could argue semantics of hardest vs strongest.