USMLE Streaky uworld performances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jloyay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone here is on the same boat as I am, but I find that I am really streaky when it comes to these mock exams. I would score in the 70s and 80s one block, and then the next block I would get 30s-50s and that ends up really hurting my score. Also very prone to panic during these board exams and that causes me to become dissociated and not think clearly.

Is there any way to remedy this?

Members don't see this ad.

If this is an anxiety problem I suggest maybe try meditating? I had anxiety when I was solving uworld blocks for step 1 and started doing mediation with the headspace app and I also did deep breathing exercises before starting with the first block of the day. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if anyone here is on the same boat as I am, but I find that I am really streaky when it comes to these mock exams. I would score in the 70s and 80s one block, and then the next block I would get 30s-50s and that ends up really hurting my score. Also very prone to panic during these board exams and that causes me to become dissociated and not think clearly.

Is there any way to remedy this?

Sorry to hear about your stress, but you are not alone. I am writing this post because what you described (in bold) is exactly what I think happened to me on the real deal. It's like my brain tried suppressing the stress before the exam and then instead of having my usual "omg omg omg panic mode" I think it went into full dissociation mode as I was answering some really stupid **** on the exam. This will severely hurt my score and you have to do something about your stress to prevent this from happening during the real deal. The only advice I can give you is based on my own dumb mistakes that I should have learned from step 1.

Others might find this helpful who are in the same situation:

1. Take breaks. I know you can find this advice everywhere but I don't think anyone listens. I sure didn't! My idea of a break was to step away from my computer and just walk around the house. This was not enough, not leaving your house for an insane amount of time is not healthy. I know some people are able to do this, but if you are prone to anxiety and panic this is not the way. Leave your house every day and go for a walk. Listen to music that you enjoy or just listen to nature... listen to the birds chirping. I should have done this, my family warned me... I didn't listen.

2. Download the app Headspace. I remember when it was fairly new and most of it was free so I used it for a few months before step 1. I honestly think it helped so much. Turn on the app before bedtime, you will be able to fall asleep learning how to breathe properly and meditate in the meantime. You will fall asleep peacefully like a baby with no worries. I stopped meditating before CK and that was also a horrible mistake.

3. The day before or several hours before any exam (yes, even your mock/practice exams) just take the day off or at least half a day. GO OUTSIDE IN THE SUN, walk, run, do whatever just don't study anymore. Clear your head.

4. The day before your actual exam, put away all your books. The most you should be doing is taking that free 120, preferably in the morning so you can spend the rest of the day relaxing. My mistake: I tried cramming and flipping through FA for CK that entire day, completed the free 120, did some ANKI cards, panicked a little bit, and then tried to go over all of my Online MedEd notes the day before the exam. I didn't fall asleep till after midnight and I had to wake up at 6am. HUGE MISTAKE, I was stupid for doing all of that literally the day before my test and I was already EXHAUSTED.

5. Sleep... please sleep and take care of yourself. I should have listened to that random youtube guy talking about his exam experience. I should have gone to bed at 9-10pm to wake up refreshed at 6am. Big mistake on my part for not listening.

Hopefully, this post can stop someone from losing points on exam day by preventing careless errors due to exhaustion/anxiety. Exam anxiety is real and it hits everyone differently. Dissociation and not being yourself on test day is more common than you think. People don't post about this, but it happened to me.

Reactions: 2 users
I have the same problem. Was averaging 70s now 57s and 60s to 67s. I’m making careless mistakes when narrowing down answer on 50/50. Maybe a recall problem? Not sure anymore

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Ran into this as well. I decided I need to review my questions more thoroughly and stop blazing through Uworld.

Thanks guys, will definitely give headspace a try. Yeah I found I was blazing through uworld as well the past few weeks. Deferred my exam until June so gives me over 2 months to start fresh.