Students applying to USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heard that USC doesn't offer anything else than loans for the OT program (with exception to merit based scholarships, which I already applied for). I hope you're right, though...I guess we will wait and see! I once talked to a USC OT alumni, and she said that she regretted going to USC, and that she is super stressed by having $100,000 in loans.

Depending on what setting you are looking at going into there is always the public service forgiveness program. You make income based payments for 10 years and the remainder of the debt is forgiven. A lot of OT work would qualify for the program, whether it's in schools or a non-profit hospital setting. My girlfriend is a school psych with considerable debt from her masters program and is participating in the forgiveness program. I don't know that I will ever pay off the debt that I am sure to come out of school with, but I know that I will be able to make enough money that even with a monthly payment I will be ahead of where I am now. I will also be much more satisfied with going to work every day, and that you can't really put a price on that.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Can any USC student chime in with your wisdom about the school, and if it has paid off for you?

Reactions: 1 user
so quiet here. What's USC doing ????? any news for anybody recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot that we could check our application stage online- mine has moved to in review. I am thinking I will hear by the end of feb.

Still waiting here as well! Submitted about 3 weeks ago.

so quiet here. What's USC doing ????? any news for anybody recently?

Not sure if this is what you meant at all, but I already accepted my early decision admission offer and a couple of weeks ago got a letter offering me one of the smaller department scholarships and just a few days ago a student ambassador reached out to me via email. They also sent holiday cards out. Already loving the department's personal touches and so excited for June!

Not sure if this is what you meant at all, but I already accepted my early decision admission offer and a couple of weeks ago got a letter offering me one of the smaller department scholarships and just a few days ago a student ambassador reached out to me via email. They also sent holiday cards out. Already loving the department's personal touches and so excited for June!

ah, yes. i know they have sent out early acceptance letters. I'm curious about the regular ones. :)

ah, yes. i know they have sent out early acceptance letters. I'm curious about the regular ones. :)

Gotcha, sorry about that! My understanding is that they won't send out acceptance letters until at least a few weeks after the deadline. Early deadline was November 30 and I think most of us got our letters in mid-December, so I would guess early March for you guys. :) Good luck!

Gotcha, sorry about that! My understanding is that they won't send out acceptance letters until at least a few weeks after the deadline. Early deadline was November 30 and I think most of us got our letters in mid-December, so I would guess early March for you guys. :) Good luck!

no..............month and a half!!!!!!......nonono..............:boom:

Oh cool, you got a scholarship? Which one, that's awesome! Congratulations!

Also, for those of you reeling at the price tag, it sounds like there are a fair amount of opportunities to get work through the department doing research and things like that. Great way to start working down those loans while you're still in school, and good professional experience to boot!

Oh cool, you got a scholarship? Which one, that's awesome! Congratulations!

Also, for those of you reeling at the price tag, it sounds like there are a fair amount of opportunities to get work through the department doing research and things like that. Great way to start working down those loans while you're still in school, and good professional experience to boot!

Yes, so excited about the scholarship and thank you for the congrats! I feel awful but I am totally spacing on the name of it, but it is one of the ones in honor of an alumni that is intended for students who have displayed a special interest in pediatric work. It will only make a small dent in the total debt we're racking up, but I still felt really honored to receive it.

Also - I agree about your second point. I'm really hopeful that I will be able to get involved in research work and possibly work as a student ambassador or TA. Time permitting, I'd love to do all three just for the experience, and the fact that it will take away some of that debt is definitely a huge added bonus. :)

Have you decided on USC for sure at this point? I know you got a few other great acceptances!

Haha, hang in there! What other schools are you considering?

well, i get to "consider" when they accept me. :penguin::wow:

waiting for UIC, USC, TJ, and Phil. U to send some exciting e-mails....rather than info sessions or open house.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, so excited about the scholarship and thank you for the congrats! I feel awful but I am totally spacing on the name of it, but it is one of the ones in honor of an alumni that is intended for students who have displayed a special interest in pediatric work. It will only make a small dent in the total debt we're racking up, but I still felt really honored to receive it.

Also - I agree about your second point. I'm really hopeful that I will be able to get involved in research work and possibly work as a student ambassador or TA. Time permitting, I'd love to do all three just for the experience, and the fact that it will take away some of that debt is definitely a huge added bonus. :)

Have you decided on USC for sure at this point? I know you got a few other great acceptances!

Aah that's so awesome! I wonder how they chose which one people get...it's weird, I was going to apply for one of the scholarships too with my financial aid app, but then they just assigned one out of the blue instead. Quite a pleasant surprise. Anyways, to answer your question--Yes, I've decided to go to USC! I still have apps out to WashU and BU that I sent a long time ago (and haven't heard back about yet), but USC has always been my first choice from the start, so unless those guys give me some sizeable scholarship or something I'm pretty set on USC :) Are you going for sure?

Received my acceptance last Friday! :soexcited: It was dated Feb. 4th. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!!!

Received my acceptance last Friday! :soexcited: It was dated Feb. 4th. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!!!
Nice, congrats! How did you hear back? And what are your stats if you dont mind me asking?

Congrats! Did you apply for the regular or early deadline?
Because I heard that the decision for regular deadline won't be made until several weeks after the regular deadline.
When did you apply? And if you can share your stat, that would be great! Thanks

I thought USC was a rolling acceptance. But I didn't contact admissions to confirm. That is what I gathered from the OTCAS website. Jan-June people would hear... not sure.

Congrats! Did you apply for the regular or early deadline?
Because I heard that the decision for regular deadline won't be made until several weeks after the regular deadline.
When did you apply? And if you can share your stat, that would be great! Thanks

Of course, I hope that it'll be helpful. :) Also I applied for regular decision in the beginning of January. I heard back through a letter in the mail!

Major: Human Development
GPA: 3.81 / 4.0 prereq
GRE: 164 V / 162 Q / 4.0 W
Extracurriculars: 2 years working as a teacher aide at a daycare, 3 months doing field research in an inclusive preschool for children with ASD, 2 years of leadership in student orgs
OT experience: 1 year volunteering with hand therapists in an outpatient clinic, some job shadowing in a NICU and developmental clinic

Of course, I hope that it'll be helpful. :) Also I applied for regular decision in the beginning of January. I heard back through a letter in the mail!

Major: Human Development
GPA: 3.81 / 4.0 prereq
GRE: 164 V / 162 Q / 4.0 W
Extracurriculars: 2 years working as a teacher aide at a daycare, 3 months doing field research in an inclusive preschool for children with ASD, 2 years of leadership in student orgs
OT experience: 1 year volunteering with hand therapists in an outpatient clinic, some job shadowing in a NICU and developmental clinic
Thanks for sharing your stat, ctra106! Wow, your stats are amazing!
I didn't do so well on GRE(minimum on Verbal and writing) so I am really worried that my GRE will jeopardize my application. I have similar GPA as you but much lower GRE :(
I thought USC does not send out acceptance letters until a few weeks after the regular deadline, so like beginning of March.
But I guess they have rolling acceptance??
Once again, congrats on your acceptance!!!

Thanks for sharing your stat, ctra106! Wow, your stats are amazing!
I didn't do so well on GRE(minimum on Verbal and writing) so I am really worried that my GRE will jeopardize my application. I have similar GPA as you but much lower GRE :(
I thought USC does not send out acceptance letters until a few weeks after the regular deadline, so like beginning of March.
But I guess they have rolling acceptance??
Once again, congrats on your acceptance!!!

Thanks so much :) ah yeah, I worry that stats are misleading sometimes because they don't capture your personal experiences and passion for OT.
I think (and hope!) that as long as you get that across in your application, it can balance out some stats that you aren't as confident about. Best of luck to you!!

Thanks so much :) ah yeah, I worry that stats are misleading sometimes because they don't capture your personal experiences and passion for OT.
I think (and hope!) that as long as you get that across in your application, it can balance out some stats that you aren't as confident about. Best of luck to you!!
Yeah, I really do hope that my GPA, LOR and personal essay balance out the low GRE score.
Thank you !! :)

Aah that's so awesome! I wonder how they chose which one people get...it's weird, I was going to apply for one of the scholarships too with my financial aid app, but then they just assigned one out of the blue instead. Quite a pleasant surprise. Anyways, to answer your question--Yes, I've decided to go to USC! I still have apps out to WashU and BU that I sent a long time ago (and haven't heard back about yet), but USC has always been my first choice from the start, so unless those guys give me some sizeable scholarship or something I'm pretty set on USC :) Are you going for sure?

Sorry for the delayed response, I somehow just saw this! But yes, assuming I can find housing from several hundred miles away, my plan is to be your classmate in June! So excited!

Sorry for the delayed response, I somehow just saw this! But yes, assuming I can find housing from several hundred miles away, my plan is to be your classmate in June! So excited!

great! I'm relocating from out of town too (SF bay area) so not really sure how to tackle the whole housing thing either, but Sarah Kelly said they'll be sending a lot of info on that kind of stuff soon. I'm thinking a good solution cost-benefit-wise would be to live in a house/apt near-ish to the HSC campus w/2-3 other students in the program. so much to figure out before june, ah!

great! I'm relocating from out of town too (SF bay area) so not really sure how to tackle the whole housing thing either, but Sarah Kelly said they'll be sending a lot of info on that kind of stuff soon. I'm thinking a good solution cost-benefit-wise would be to live in a house/apt near-ish to the HSC campus w/2-3 other students in the program. so much to figure out before june, ah!

Yes, I'm hoping the info from Sarah Kelly comes soon. I am going down to LA the weekend after next so don't think I'll be able to go down for the info session, so am really hoping whatever they mail will be helpful enough!

I agree that the roommate situation is probably best financially. I've been looking at Silver Lake/Echo Park/Los Feliz and also Glendale and Pasadena mostly and the cost of living alone is a lot to take on - studios and smaller one bedrooms seem to run in the $900-$1500 range. Pending how nice my financial aid package is, I could maybe make the bottom end of that work, but definitely not the top!

Once we have more details and hopefully some more members in our class' Facebook group, I'm wondering if that would be a good way for some of us to look into rooming together? I think it would be great to live with some fellow OT students without dealing with the pricey rents and meh location of USC's OT house. ;)

I received my acceptance letter in the mail today! :)
It was dated 2/20. I was not expecting to receive a decision letter so soon. (My USC application was completed on 2/3 and OTCAS was verified on 1/23)
I thought the decision letter would arrive around mid-March.
I am sooooo excited!!!!!!!

I received my acceptance letter in the mail today! :)
It was dated 2/20. I was not expecting to receive a decision letter so soon. (My USC application was completed on 2/3 and OTCAS was verified on 1/23)
I thought the decision letter would arrive around mid-March.
I am sooooo excited!!!!!!!
Wow congrats!!! Do you mind sharing your stats with us? Also, did the status change on your online application page?

Thank you!! :) Sure but my stats aren't that great compared to other accepted students.
Undergrad GPA: 3.72
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V-153, Q-158, 3.5 writing (was really worried about these scores)
1 LOR from my undergrad professor, 1 LOR from an OT (@volunteer), 1 LOR from my supervisor at work
Volunteer experience: 130 hours at a pediatric OT/PT clinic, several other volunteer experiences

The status was "reviewing" up until a few days ago but now it shows as "submitted".

Hey milkteaa, what state are you from? I'm from Tennessee, so that's why I'm hoping that I haven't gotten any notice of an admission decision yet. I finished my USC supp app on 12/19/2013, and my OTCAS app was verified 12/30/2013, with my Academic Update finishing up 1/30/2014. And since it looks like you did yours later than me, I'm wondering why it's taking them so long. I have similar stats as you:

Undergrad GPA: 3.91
Pre-reqGPA: 4.0
GRE: V-159, Q-148, 4.0 Writing
LOR's were the same as yours
105 OT hours

Just a bit nervous, haha. I hope to hear from them soon. By the way, did your USC app status just say "Submitted" Your file has been forwarded to...for an academic decision. Or did it change to something like, "You should receive something by postal mail, etc"

EDIT: I was looking at the home page after you login to USC's graduate application page, and I clicked Print Receipt to see if I could get any more information, and I saw at the very end it said, "Decision Round: 146". I was wondering what exactly that entails, and if anyone knows (who has been accepted), what was your decision round #? Thanks again.

Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:
Hey milkteaa, what state are you from? I'm from Tennessee, so that's why I'm hoping that I haven't gotten any notice of an admission decision yet. I finished my USC supp app on 12/19/2013, and my OTCAS app was verified 12/30/2013, with my Academic Update finishing up 1/30/2014. And since it looks like you did yours later than me, I'm wondering why it's taking them so long. I have similar stats as you:

Undergrad GPA: 3.91
Pre-reqGPA: 4.0
GRE: V-159, Q-148, 4.0 Writing
LOR's were the same as yours
105 OT hours

Just a bit nervous, haha. I hope to hear from them soon. By the way, did your USC app status just say "Submitted" Your file has been forwarded to...for an academic decision. Or did it change to something like, "You should receive something by postal mail, etc"

EDIT: I was looking at the home page after you login to USC's graduate application page, and I clicked Print Receipt to see if I could get any more information, and I saw at the very end it said, "Decision Round: 146". I was wondering what exactly that entails, and if anyone knows (who has been accepted), what was your decision round #? Thanks again.

Thanks for all your help!

Hi erFTW, I am actually from Cali. Did you check with OT dept. to see if they have all your files? Like your GRE scores from ETS and all the transcripts?
Maybe I heard back quickly because I am in Cali.
I checked the USC application and it says "Submitted" and
  • YOU WILL RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ADMISSION DECISION ONCE YOUR DEPARTMENT HAS COMPLETED THEIR FINAL REVIEW. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OFFICE OF ADMISSION PROVIDES FINAL DECISION NOTIFICATIONS BY LETTER ONLY
I clicked Print Receipt and mine also says "Decision Round: 146" Not too sure what that number means. I would check with Sarah or Liz to make sure none of your files are missing (only if you haven't done so). I wish you best luck!!!

Hi erFTW, I am actually from Cali. Did you check with OT dept. to see if they have all your files? Like your GRE scores from ETS and all the transcripts?
Maybe I heard back quickly because I am in Cali.
I checked the USC application and it says "Submitted" and
  • YOU WILL RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ADMISSION DECISION ONCE YOUR DEPARTMENT HAS COMPLETED THEIR FINAL REVIEW. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OFFICE OF ADMISSION PROVIDES FINAL DECISION NOTIFICATIONS BY LETTER ONLY
I clicked Print Receipt and mine also says "Decision Round: 146" Not too sure what that number means. I would check with Sarah or Liz to make sure none of your files are missing (only if you haven't done so). I wish you best luck!!!
Hey milkteaa, yeah, I've made sure they have received everything. Probably even triple-checked. I've been in constant correspondence with Mrs. Kelly. All transcripts, GRE scores, et cetera. I assume that since I am out of state, it takes a bit longer to finish up the review. I hope to hear back early this week. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for all the help!

Congrats ayastefanie! Do you mind sharing your stats? :)

Of course!

Cal State Long beach
Undergrad GPA: 3.68
GRE: V-153, Q-150 4.0 Writing
LORs: Professor, OT, and work supervisor
101 internship hours in a pediatric setting, 179 internship hours in a hospital setting.
200 hours of volunteering in non-OT related health services.
I also was involved in Red Cross, a pre-health minority students club, and was also an English tutor for a Japanese immigrant.

I submitted OTCAS on 1/19 (verified on 2/3) and my USC application on 1/27

I was really surprised when I received my acceptance letter! My GRE scores are not that great and I didn't have time to have someone else check my personal statement.

Hey milkteaa, yeah, I've made sure they have received everything. Probably even triple-checked. I've been in constant correspondence with Mrs. Kelly. All transcripts, GRE scores, et cetera. I assume that since I am out of state, it takes a bit longer to finish up the review. I hope to hear back early this week. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for all the help!
No problem! I hope you hear back soon :)

Of course!

Cal State Long beach
101 internship hours in a pediatric setting, 179 internship hours in a hospital setting.
I also was involved in Red Cross, a pre-health minority students club, and was also an English tutor for a Japanese immigrant.

I was really surprised when I received my acceptance letter! My GRE scores are not that great and I didn't have time to have someone else check my personal statement.

That's awesome, I actually have similar stats. Very jealous, You must be very excited! :) hopefully I hear back soon! The wait is a killer >____<

That's awesome, I actually have similar stats. Very jealous, You must be very excited! :) hopefully I hear back soon! The wait is a killer >____<

I hope you hear back soon! I didn't expect to hear back so quickly, because from what I understand USC sends out acceptances during March.

Of course!

Cal State Long beach

Congrats! What does your status on the USC website app say?

I hope you hear back soon! I didn't expect to hear back so quickly, because from what I understand USC sends out acceptances during March.
Thank you! I will let you all know if I receive some good news :)

Congrats! What does your status on the USC website app say?

• APPLICATION STATUS: SUBMITTED
When I checked a few days ago, it was still "submitted" and being forwarded to the academic department for review or something along that line.

• APPLICATION STATUS: SUBMITTED
When I checked a few days ago, it was still "submitted" and being forwarded to the academic department for review or something along that line.

Oh okay! Got it! My OTCAS app just got verified on 2/14 and my USC app was submitted on 1/28, so perhaps my application is up next to review after your group.

I just received my acceptance! It was dated 2/20/14

what does it look like? i want to be prepared when i get one. ....:nailbiting:
is just one page letter of acceptance? or some kind of thick package?

My sister just got an acceptance! @_@ she received an envelope with two other envelopes inside... (she applied regular decision only. I applied early and got deferred) Haven't heard from them, has anyone else who was deferred talked to Sarah Kelly? Do deferred applicants get looked at last? That would suck lol

Btw my status hasn't changed indicating that they haven't done the final review of my file. :/

Last edited:
My twin sister just got an acceptance! @_@ she received an envelope with two other envelopes inside... (she applied regular decision only. I applied early and got deferred) Haven't heard from them, has anyone else who was deferred talked to Sarah Kelly? Do deferred applicants get looked at last? That would suck lol

Btw my status hasn't changed indicating that they haven't done the final review of my file. :/

It's starting to wear at me that I havent heard anything yet, even though I applied earlier than people already receiving their acceptances. My status hasn't changed yet either. I hope we hear back soon. Have you talked to Sarah?

EDIT: I applied regular decision back late December.

Hmm well i'm guessing the next batch is in 2.5 weeks (mid-march).

Last edited:
I received my acceptance on Friday like the others that have posted! I submitted my application in early November for early decision but it was deferred due to a missing transcript. I know it's tough just waiting it out but I sincerely hope you will hear from USC soon.

Is everyone receiving acceptances right now from the West Coast/Cali area? I submitted my OTCAS and USC supp app back in December for regular decision, and still haven't heard anything (I'm from TN). It just doesn't make sense in my head that people who applied a month to a month and a few weeks after me have already been accepted/heard something. Any advice/info to help lessen my stress levels? Haha.

erFTW, You may have been moved to the next cycle but it should be in a few weeks. Did your status change?

8nwong, did your status change from when you were deferred back in december? Mine still says
  • YOUR FILE HAS BEEN FORWARDED TO THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT FOR REVIEW AND AN ADMISSION DECISION. YOU MAY CHECK THIS SYSTEM PERIODICALLY FOR UPDATES, AND IF THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT REQUIRES ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR RENDERS AN ADMISSION DECISION, YOU WILL BE CONTACTED.

Last edited: