Stupid attire question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CNphair

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I apologize in advance...

I am starting a prelim med internship tomorrow. Woo hoo. My first rotation is in the ER...and there has been no orientation whatsoever. So, I'm just wondering about an etiquette issue. I work a 6 am-5 pm shift tomorrow - are scrubs appropriate? I assumed that was the proper attire but then I started to worry...you know, that I might not be dressed right when I kill my first few patients before noon.

Sorry for the stupid question. I'm usually in the Rad Onc forum...we don't think about such things. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

In the ED in which I am a student, everyone wears scrubs with the notable exception of the chair and a few of the senior docs. However, a few posters on here have stated that they wear dress clothes for every shift in the ED.

My vote is for scrubs.

CNphair said:
Ok, I apologize in advance...

I am starting a prelim med internship tomorrow. Woo hoo. My first rotation is in the ER...and there has been no orientation whatsoever. So, I'm just wondering about an etiquette issue. I work a 6 am-5 pm shift tomorrow - are scrubs appropriate? I assumed that was the proper attire but then I started to worry...you know, that I might not be dressed right when I kill my first few patients before noon.

Sorry for the stupid question. I'm usually in the Rad Onc forum...we don't think about such things. :rolleyes:

I actually start my first day tommorow too!! but I'm starting on wards, so ready for some electrolyte balancing action, haha just joking, I actually don't mind wards.

So, when we had orientation, they told us the only time scrubs are acceptable is when we are on call, post call, or doing the ED month. So, I would be wearing scrubs if it was the first day.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the hospital is willing to pay your dry cleaning bill when you get whatever nasty bodily fluid ( :barf: ) on your "nice clothes," then great :thumbup: . If they won't, then scrubs everyday :cool: .

Ties are one of the biggest fomites. Refuse to wear one for infection control issues :) .

turtle said:
If the hospital is willing to pay your dry cleaning bill when you get whatever nasty bodily fluid ( :barf: ) on your "nice clothes," then great :thumbup: . If they won't, then scrubs everyday :cool: .

Ties are one of the biggest fomites. Refuse to wear one for infection control issues :) .

ties and fomites! Apollyon needs to chime in here, we all KNOW there was a study done haha.

JackBauERfan said:
ties and fomites! Apollyon needs to chime in here, we all KNOW there was a study done haha.

Fomites transmit infection. Ties are NOT fomites - doesn't matter HOW contaminated, they do NOT contribute to increased infection rates.

As I've said before, culture the faucet in the kitchen of the house you grew up in - you'd swear it was bioterrorism. Even so, how many of your cuts that were washed out under that same faucet ever became infected?

PS UP YOURS!

I think that stethoscope around your neck (or in your pocket if you follow the surgery philosophy) transmits more germs than your tie. How often does your tie touch the patient? If you lean over and it's touching the patient, then you should be strangled with it. You should keep your tie from touching a patient by either holding onto it, tucking it into your shirt when you lean over, or buttoning up your white coat.

southerndoc said:
If you lean over and it's touching the patient, then you should be strangled with it.

A little extreme there, maybe? I mean, I don't wear a tie anymore, but, also, I clean my stethoscope off with an alcohol prep before most patients (unless I don't have time) - do you? Or should the docs that don't be strangled with a garrote made from their stethoscopes?

Should people whose documentation is lacking have their fingers cut off?

Apollyon said:
Fomites transmit infection. Ties are NOT fomites - doesn't matter HOW contaminated, they do NOT contribute to increased infection rates.

Interesting opinion :) . And I agree that we cannot conclusively say they are fomites in the proper use of the term. But neither can we say that they are definitely not. While there is some evidence that they do harbour disease-causing bacteria, it is inconclusive whether or not they transmit infection.

If you know of any study that shows they do not, please give me a reference.

Be this as it may, if one wants to use the “potential” for transmitting disease as an excuse to not wear a tie, then by all means, go for it… :thumbup:

southerndoc said:
I think that stethoscope around your neck (or in your pocket if you follow the surgery philosophy) transmits more germs than your tie. How often does your tie touch the patient? If you lean over and it's touching the patient, then you should be strangled with it. You should keep your tie from touching a patient by either holding onto it, tucking it into your shirt when you lean over, or buttoning up your white coat.

Really old guys like me wear a nice tie clasp or bar or stick pin. Does the job and gives a classy lounge lizard look that the older ladies appreciate.

BKN said:
Really old guys like me wear a nice tie clasp or bar or stick pin. Does the job and gives a classy lounge lizard look that the older ladies appreciate.

maybe in the ED we should all uniformly wear bow ties! Then we can make the bow ties look cool again because all the ED folks are wearing them. Also, when someone sees a bow tie, they can reliably say that person probably works in the ED. It would be like the green scrubs and surgery!

And I vote the bow tie be a solid red (for blood/guts)

JackBauERfan said:
maybe in the ED we should all uniformly wear bow ties! Then we can make the bow ties look cool again because all the ED folks are wearing them. Also, when someone sees a bow tie, they can reliably say that person probably works in the ED. It would be like the green scrubs and surgery!

And I vote the bow tie be a solid red (for blood/guts)

Then you'd be mistaken for a neurologist.