Stupid things you said in rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rielazegui

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A patient comes in the pharmacy and ask me about baby aspirin. Then I ask
"How old is the baby?"

Members don't see this ad.

My preceptor and I were doing my eval. She left the room for a minute and while she was gone she got a call on her cellphone. When she came back I said, "Your vibrator went off while you were gone." :oops:

My preceptor and I were doing my eval. She left the room for a minute and while she was gone she got a call on her cellphone. When she came back I said, "Your vibrator went off while you were gone." :oops:

:laugh::laugh: hahahahaha......

I hope she laughed.

Members don't see this ad :)
"This rotation is useless to me." - Mike at Omnicare, directed towards preceptor, circa November 2007. Resulted in removal and failure of rotation.

I'm glad I did it to this day. They gave me a real rotation rather than one where I sat in a corner and put pills in boxes for 10 hours a day. What a waste. The school still sends people there though. Which saddens me.

None so far, but I'm sure I'll have a bunch in this next year.

This comes from a nursing student who was at the children's hospital with me while I was rotating there (directed towards the mother of a 10 year-old girl receiving methotrexate for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis):

Mom: What is my daughter taking folic acid for?
Student: It's so she can have babies one day...they have evidence showing it helps.

This comes from a nursing student who was at the children's hospital with me while I was rotating there (directed towards the mother of a 10 year-old girl receiving methotrexate for juvenile rheumatoid arthritis):

Student: It's so she can have babies one day...they have evidence showing it helps.

That's probably better than saying the real reason.

:highfive:

Sounds about right!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont bad mouth anyone....the pharmacy community is smaller than you think!!

im not denying the practicality of this advice, I just think it's funny that everyone says this, and there are 250,000 some pharmacists in the "pharmacy community"

im not denying the practicality of this advice, I just think it's funny that everyone says this, and there are 250,000 some pharmacists in the "pharmacy community"

I am referring to more the "community" you live in......

I guess this matters less in larger markets but if they are affliated with the school then you get my point.

Folic acid is used for another reason when given with methotrexate.....
Am I too naive, or is it just the fact that methotrexate is an anti-folate, and you're restoring those levels (when not using it for cancer obviously)?

Yeahhhh, just had a lecture about folic acid deficiencies today. It's given to people being treated with methotrexate, since methotrexate inhibits dihydrofolate reductase, resulting in folic acid deficiency. Could also happen with long term trimethoprim use. Too bad that folic acid therapy can mask the vitamin B12 deficiency.

Too bad that folic acid therapy can mask the vitamin B12 deficiency.

That's why all the best doctors recommend "1 Red Bull po QD"

2 cans would give you 160% the daily allowance of vitamin B12, but most insurances require step therapy first, :laugh:

That's why all the best doctors recommend "1 Red Bull po QD"

2 cans would give you 160% the daily allowance of vitamin B12, but most insurances require step therapy first, :laugh:
If my camera's batteries weren't dead right now, I'd take a picture of my desk. It's finals week (I have 7 exams!) and my meal points expire at the end of the week since its the end of the year.
Long story short, I have way too many empty Redbull cans on my desk, and will continue to drink more throughout the week.

Yeahhhh, just had a lecture about folic acid deficiencies today. It's given to people being treated with methotrexate, since methotrexate inhibits dihydrofolate reductase, resulting in folic acid deficiency. Could also happen with long term trimethoprim use. Too bad that folic acid therapy can mask the vitamin B12 deficiency.

Mask it until so much demyelination and nerve cell damage has occurred that you are whacked out irreversibly.

The MTX thing is interesting....but how leucovorin (pssssh, folic acid...ya damned amateurs...) works in conjunction with fluorouracil is way more interesting. It's some crazy tai chi **** going down. It's some straight insidious madness. Like giving the cancer cancer...

The MTX thing is interesting....but how leucovorin (pssssh, folic acid...ya damned amateurs...) works in conjunction with fluorouracil is way more interesting. It's some crazy tai chi **** going down. It's some straight insidious madness. Like giving the cancer cancer...

I was thinking: Not "folic acid" but leucovorin, aka ACTIVATED folic acid is used with MTX. Folic acid itself is useless when given with MTX. Hence the term "leucovorin rescue."

If my camera's batteries weren't dead right now, I'd take a picture of my desk. It's finals week (I have 7 exams!) and my meal points expire at the end of the week since its the end of the year.
Long story short, I have way too many empty Redbull cans on my desk, and will continue to drink more throughout the week.

Instead, drink black coffee. It'll save you tons of money and your teeth in the long run.

Lol, come on people. Even I knew why they were getting folic acid, and I'm still a couple months from starting my P1 year!
Though I haven't heard that baby thing before.

Instead, drink black coffee. It'll save you tons of money and your teeth in the long run.
Ugh, I hate the taste of coffee. I don't normally buy Red Bulls, I'm just spending the rest of my school meal points since they expire at the end of the semester, so its kind of a use it/lose it situation. While Red Bull is sugary and acidic, its at least not staining like black coffee. The stuff practically embeds itself in your enamel.

Ugh, I hate the taste of coffee. I don't normally buy Red Bulls, I'm just spending the rest of my school meal points since they expire at the end of the semester, so its kind of a use it/lose it situation. While Red Bull is sugary and acidic, its at least not staining like black coffee. The stuff practically embeds itself in your enamel.

stained teeth > no teeth

I was thinking: Not "folic acid" but leucovorin, aka ACTIVATED folic acid is used with MTX. Folic acid itself is useless when given with MTX. Hence the term "leucovorin rescue."

Folic acid is not useless with low dose MTX (RA and other autoimmune dsz) only with higher dose MTX (CA). In higher dose MTX, leucovorin is the choice as you have mentioned.

Folic acid is not useless with low dose MTX (RA and other autoimmune dsz) only with higher dose MTX (CA). In higher dose MTX, leucovorin is the choice as you have mentioned.

Yup. The anti-rheumatic effects of low-dose MTX, interestingly, aren't directly related to the anti-folate effects. Pharmacology's awesome.

yeah, but you can't shotgun a can of coffee

Sure you can! Wanna try?

starbucksdrinks.jpg

Haha, our 75 year old pharmacology professor [http://www.pharmacy.famu.edu/bluepill.php?sect=includes/researchcenters/rcmi/faculty_profiles/Fitzgerald doesn't get too excited too often. But I tell you, he was pretty enthusiastic about the whole synergy between 5-FU and Leucovorin xD

Last edited:
I haven't necessarily done rotations yet, other than IPPE 4 Thursdays both P-1 semesters. I didn't necessarily say anything stupid, but I did something stupid.

The third prescription I ever filled in my life was for birth control. I almost gave the lady a whole box of birth control, not knowing I was supposed to open the box and give her a single package =-(.

The pharmacist caught it, though. That was my first time ever working in a pharmacy, and I've heard almost everyone does that on their first time.

Monday I get to work at Walgreens for a whole month without pay for IPPE hours =-(

"Sorry, I was having a blonde moment." said to my blonde preceptor

8:30am While reviewing a SOAP at AM Care rotation on 4/20 with two residents and preceptor(well established mentor type, but cool).

"Patient admits to current 10 year history of marijuana usuage." Who Hoo...It is 420 time to celebrate. says the P4 on rotation.

I was a shadowing P2 and don't know if I would have said that one. Whatever I guess we only have one life and it was pretty funny.

Last edited:
8:30am While reviewing a SOAP at AM Care rotation on 4/20 with two residents and preceptor(well established mentor type, but cool).

"Patient admits to current 10 year history of marijuana usuage." Who Hoo...It is 420 time to celebrate. says the P4 on rotation.

I was a shadowing P2 and don't know if I would have said that one. Whatever I guess we only have one life and it was pretty funny.

situational comedy is not for every situation....:thumbup: