Successful Applicants c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildZoo

Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all who have been accepted already! Please post your stats to help other applicants as the acceptances roll in. The format from years before is posted below.

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied:

Applied:
Interview Invites:
Waiting to hear:
Accepted:
Attending:

Overall GPA:
Science Prerequisite GPA:
Last 45 GPA:

GRE (Q/V/W):
x (%) / y (%) / z (%)
(If applicable)

Degree(s):

Veterinary Experience:

Experience - (hrs)

Animal Experience:
Experience - (hrs)

Research:
Experience - (hrs)

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience - (hrs)

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience - (hrs)

LORs:
Title of recommender (Vet? Manager? Supervisor? Vet tech?)

Essay Questions/Personal Statement:
Summary of what you wrote about

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I will kick it off! Congrats to all the other members of the class of 2027!

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied:
probably technically old enough to be your mom, F, TX, extremely non-trad, 2nd cycle applying to in-state schools via TMDSAS, 1st time through VMCAS

Applied: TAMU, TTU, WSU, Mizzou. Since I'm an older applicant, overall cost was a very real consideration in deciding where to apply. I've worked really hard to be debt-free, and had to quit a good job to chase this dream, so I prioritized keeping those numbers low.
Interview Invites: TAMU
Waitlisted: WSU (OOS)
Accepted: TAMU
Attending: TAMU (IS, low-cost, with a fantastic network)

I had to re-do all the pre-requisite coursework as a Post-Bac because it had been more than 10 years since I completed my degree, so I'll post just my Post-Bac TMDSAS GPA numbers.
Overall: 3.6
BCPM GPA: 3.5
Non-BCPM GPA: 3.8

Degree(s): 1 Bach Sci., 2 Associates and an undergrad certificate (all in an unrelated field)

Veterinary Experience: 600 hrs. Volunteer vet assistant at an equine practice and a wildlife rescue center. Some shadowing/assisting at a SA GP clinic. Very fortunate to have been granted the opportunity to get a real taste of vet life. Responsibilities spanned the spectrum from speaking with clients, caring for injured/sick/orphaned animals, right up to assisting in a few surgeries. All great experiences and I will sure miss everyone I've worked with!

Animal Experience: 10k+ I've a lot of years behind me, so there's not a lot of value in listing everything out, but I've worked as a dog trainer, as a racetrack groom, and I've kept and bred 20+ species of reptiles.

Research: 200+ study exploring early scent association in puppies raised for detection, collection & preparation of shed snake skins for building a DNA map of phenotypic mutations.

Extracurriculars/Awards: I am involved with a nonprofit that advocates for pet owners, and compete in various sports with my dogs. Deans Lists, military awards and some employee recognition

Non-Animal Employment: SO, SO MUCH. I was in the military and have 15+ years employment in a non-animal field.

LORs: 2 from vets at the Equine clinic I volunteer at, and 1 from the SA Vet. They're all wonderful people to work with and I've learned so much from them.

Love note to other Non-traditional applicants: I got sick half-way through my pre-reqs and had to withdraw from my first attempt at Orgo. I limped though the remaining courses I was enrolled in that semester, but my GPA took a hit. I required surgery that went sideways and I ended up having to take a full year off to recover. If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. That way is probably going to require the support of a village though. Be thankful for the people who help and encourage you to chase your dreams, and pay it forward.

Don't Sell Your Saddle
Don't give up on dreams
Take time to see 'em through.
There are no easy trails.
Hard work makes dreams come true.

You'll make it through tough times.
Friends will stick like glue.
Don't ever sell your saddle.
Dreams won't give up on you.

-Don Bishop

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 23F Texas resident who’s applied twice with a gap year in between

Applied: Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Arizona, Florida, Kansas, Illinois, North Carolina, Purdue
Interview Invites: TAMU, KSU (waitlist --> interview), UI (declined interview following TAMU acceptance), ASU (waitlist --> rejected/no interview) and UF (waitlist --> rejected/no interview)
Waiting to hear: Alternate for Kansas
Accepted: TAMU
Attending: TAMU (WHOOP!!!)

VMCAS
Overall GPA: 3.72 (UG: 3.67, G: 4.0)
Science: 3.63 (UG: 3.55, G: 4.0)
Last 45 GPA: 3.76

TMDSAS (includes Fall 2022)
Overall GPA: 3.71
Science: 3.66
Last 45 GPA: 3.75

GRE (Q/V/W):
157 (61%) / 158 (79%) / 5.0 (91%)

Degree(s): BS in Biomedical Sciences (Spring 2021) and MS in Biomedical Sciences (Fall 2022); both through TAMU

For this section I’m referring to my TMDSAS app
Veterinary Experience:

Experience – 797 (hrs); 708 small animal (4 different clinics, majority working), 4 large animal, and 85 exotics (wildlife center)

Animal Experience:
Experience – 5489 (hrs); 4500 from service dog training full time for four years, 699 from wildlife center, rest are miscellaneous small animal with a few more exotics and one large animal experience

Research:
Experience – 82 (hrs); 50 from psychology research project, 20 from a research proposal for field research in Trinidad and Tobago (cancelled study abroad due to COVID), and 12 from a large animal research project (which I dropped 😊)

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience – 2268 (hrs) mostly from Trombone related stuff in highschool and undergrad.

Hobbies – 30,434 (hrs); Listed my top three hobbies (Reading >>>> Video games > Board games) and estimated the time I’ve spent on them since 2013. Really wanted to represent myself as a whole person in my app and figured the worst thing that could happen is they ignore it.

Leadership- 3 years President and Founder of Highschool anime club, ~three years as Senior Raiser in service dog organization (train students through shadows, mentoring, and large 100 student training classes), semester as Hall Representative at Residence Hall Association meetings for dorm as RA, Media Coordinator for a year in service dog organization, 1 year as student leader at wildlife center (train students, run shifts, lead tours)

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience – 820 (hrs) as a Resident Advisor my senior year of undergrad

LORs:
- Vet Tech (20+ years experience) at place of work, knew for >6 months at time of writing letter
- Veterinarian at place of work, knew for >6 months at time of writing letter
- Veterinarian, professor, and graduate mentor at wildlife center, knew for >1 year at time of writing letter

Personal essay (opportunities and challenges): touched on how I’ve tried to find a passion for another career due to my biggest challenge being my mental health/social anxiety, how I’ve been very involved in communities and developing my communication skills. Talked about how it took me a while to understand that ‘liking’ animals wasn’t enough and how through my experience in training service dogs I grew to deeply appreciate the human-animal bond and wanting to help other people despite my anxiety. Ending with the opportunities I’ve experienced in veterinary medicine and how I think they’ve prepared me. Finally, mentioned my cousin’s death (suicide) and how it made me want to support my colleagues and those around me in any situation (organizations like Not One More Vet, extra intervention training as an RA, etc.)

Personal Characteristics (support others in an educational setting): personal background, experience helping others, qualities I believe I have (ex. attention to detail, empathy, and computational and artistic skills) and how they allow me to be a team member and place of support for my peers

Unique experience: Story about my family’s 24-year-old cats’ untimely passing where the veterinarian was very late to her euthanasia appointment (she passed away in the waiting room), and how I believe veterinary care can/should be professional and dignified. Touched on affordable variations and realistic options with the goal of limiting our patients’ suffering

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 25, F, Texas, somewhat of a mix of trad and non-trad, 3rd time applying.

Applied: Oklahoma, Kansas, Ohio, TAMU, TTU, Minnesota, Mississippi, LMU, MWU
Interview Invites: TAMU, TTU, Mississippi
Waiting to hear:
Accepted:
TAMU, Mississippi
Attending: TAMU

TMDSAS (includes Fall 22):
Overall GPA:
BCPM GPA: 3.05
VMCAS Science GPA: 3.2-3.4 (can't remember exactly)
Last 45 GPA (includes Fall 22): 3.51

GRE (Q/V/W): 151 (37%) / 157 (74%) / 4.5 (79%)
(Not applicable to any school other than Oklahoma)

Degree(s): AA, BS in Animal Science, MS in animal science (spring 23)

Veterinary Experience:
1,034 hrs
Experience in mixed practice (with food animals and equine), shelter medicine, exotics, and small animal. I had very involved breadth of experience, which I wrote about heavily.

Animal Experience:
6,701 hrs
Experience with literally all the animals, haha. Cattle, equids, poultry, pet birds, pocket pets, exotics, rodents (at least 6 species) amphibians, reptiles, cats, and dogs. Tbh, I think I was very conservative reporting this number. TAMU, has you break it down in their supplemental to include experience with personal pets; on that portion of their application, I submitted around 20,000 hours.

Research:
480 hrs
Mix of thesis research and helping in other university research.

Awards:
Dean's list, President's list (x2)

Non-Animal Employment:
Media manager, retail associate, and department graduate assistant (leadership position)

LORs:
Veterinarian, Graduate Chair, Supervisor

I wrote about some of my personal struggles and how I have learned and grown from those struggles and how I hope to apply those strengths into vet med, especially in my underserved area. Additionally, I wrote about how I came to choose vet med and how I feel it makes me a non-trad student and a candidate that can bring a varied perspective. Lastly, I wrote about communicating with a variety of people of various backgrounds and of different levels of ability, and how that translates to veterinary medicine and serving the community.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
22, Female, NY Resident, Traditional, 1st time applying

Schools applied to:
LIU, Cornell, Penn, Minnesota, Ross, Ohio State, NC State, Illinois, Oregon, Oklahoma, Virginia Maryland, Arizona, Kansas
Denied : Cornell, Minnesota, NC State, Illinois, Oregon, Oklahoma, Virginia Maryland, Arizona, Kansas
Interview Invites: LIU, Ohio, Ross
Waiting to hear : Ohio, Ross, Penn (still no update on interview or not)
Attending: Likely LIU

Overall GPA/Science GPA: 3.4/3.4/3.5

Degree(s): Bachelors and Associate of Animal Science

Veterinary Experience:
Experience - 5,000 (hrs) mainly focused in surgery
  • Work at 2 big speciality hospitals as a Surgical Assistant - scrub in experience on orthopedics and soft tissue cases
  • Worked at as a Surgical Dental Assistant
  • Internship as a vet assistant at general practice -
  • Worked with my University’s vet during classes and labs doing vaccines and other procedures -
Animal Experience:
Experience - total of 1,500 hours
  • Volunteered for cat only shelter for 3 years -
  • Student intern at Animal Control
  • Experience with University’s farm animals through hands on classes and labs
  • Show man ship show - University ran show, students in charge of training farm animals for show
Research:
No really formal research experience - Have some experience within classes/labs where we conducted research for studies on Universities cattle, sheep and equine animals

Extracurriculars/Awards:
  • Deans lists all of freshman, sophomore and half of junior year
  • Summa cum laude from my associates degree
  • Award of Excellence - awarded during associates - awarded to senior with highest GPA
  • Outstanding Senior Women Academic Achievement award - during associates
  • Part of Agricultural Sorority on campus
  • Member of Pre-Vet club and other various animal related clubs
  • Member of intramural volleyball and soccer
Non-Animal Employment:
Experience -
  • Worked a front desk job at a gym
  • Student intern at Orthopedic surgeons office
Certifications
  • Certified in CPR Basic and advanced for animals
  • Certified in different sterilization processes
LORs:
  1. Board certified General Surgeon of surgery department I work in
  2. Advisor and former head of Animal Science dept from my college
  3. Former Advisor
  4. Dental Veterinarian
  5. Surgery supervisor at one of my hospitals
Essay
Basically wrote how I’ve been around surgery my whole through my uncle who’s an orthopedic surgeon and I always tried to connect it to animals as a young girl. Watching my first surgery case made everything come first circle and basically touched upon my interest in always wanting to connect animals to people and discovering the relationships between them.

Really didn’t expect to post here but this goes to show some schools won’t just look at you for your GPA! I had 3 C’s and a W. I think my extensive surgery experience and interest/dedication to it stood out to schools. Have hope!

Reactions: 3 users

45 years old, female, New Jersey (No IS School), Non-traditional. First time applying

Applied: Cornell, Tufts, Penn, PEI, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Colorado, Florida, tOSU, Arizona, Purdue, Midwestern, Minnesota, Kansas, LIU (16 schools! I had no confidence I would get in anywhere).
Interview Invites: Tufts, Penn, Illinois (declined), tOSU (declined), Minnesota (declined), LIU (declined), Kansas (declined), Purdue, Midwestern, LIU (declined)

Rejected: Arizona, Florida, Missouri, PEI
Waiting to hear: none
Accepted: Cornell, Tufts, Midwestern, Colorado (waitlisted then accepted), Purdue
Attending: Most likely Purdue!

Overall GPA: 4.0
Science Prerequisite GPA: 4.0
Last 45 GPA: 4.0

GRE (Q/V/W): x (%) / y (%) / z (%)
(If applicable)

Degree(s): BM in Music Education, MM in Music Performance, MA in Educational Administration

Veterinary Experience:
Experience - (hrs). A few hundred working as a veterinary assistant on weekends and summers when I was not teaching

Animal Experience:
Experience - (hrs). Around 1000, both large and small animal experience.

Research:
Experience - (hrs). I had research experience from my master’s degree in administration, but it was not science related. I did list it but am not sure it helped.

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience - (hrs). 18 years as a public school teacher.

LORs:
Vet that I shadowed, 2 college professors

I wrote about making this career change from being a teacher to a veterinarian, including why I want to make this change, how hard I worked to get to this point, etc. I worked 2 full-time jobs, took classes at night and online, and worked as a vet assistant with the remaining weekends I had free. I took a lot of community college classes because they fit in my schedule (night classes), attended around 10 different colleges to get classes that fit my schedule, and sometimes could only fit in 1 to 2 classes at a time. If you want this – go for it. You’re never too old, or taking too much of a non-traditional route.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
Excited to finally get to post here!!!

State/Country of Residence: Virginia, USA Non-traditional applicant
This is my third application cycle!

Applied: Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine, Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Minnesota CVM, Iowa State CVM, University of Wisconsin CVM, Colorado State CVM, Ontario Veterinary College, Kansas State University CVM
Interview Invites: Interview Waitlist at Kansas State, Interview invite to Ontario Veterinary College
Waiting to hear: Iowa State CVM, University of Wisconsin CVM
Accepted: ONTARIO VETERINARY COLLEGE!
Attending: Undecided as of yet

Overall GPA: 2.98
Science Prerequisite GPA: Varied between schools, but between 3.4-3.8
Last 45 GPA: 3.35

Degree(s):

Bachelors of Science Animal Science
Bachelors of Science Poultry Science
Minor in Microbiology
Minor in Nutrition

Veterinary Experience:

Food Animal Farm Ambulatory Assistant: ~2500 hours, mix of paid and unpaid in 3 different practices
Small Animal Veterinary Assistant: ~3500 hours, mix of paid and unpaid in five different practices
Poultry Medicine: ~250 hours, paid
Lab Animal Medicine and Pathology: ~2000 hours, paid
Wildlife Medicine: ~150 hours, unpaid
Equine Medicine: ~50 hours, paid

Animal Experience:
4-H Cattle Showing: ~2500 hours
Reptile Owner: ~7,000 hours (ymmv on if schools will count ownership hours of pets- I didn’t include any of my furry pets in my hours!)
Working on family cattle farm: ~3500 hours
Poultry Care Tech at university: ~ 200 hours
Pet Sitting: ~4500 hours
Bovine AI Certification: ~24 hours
Working on local farm over summer: ~ 400 hours
Poultry Care Tech after graduation: ~1000 hours
Lab Animal Care Tech: ~600 hours

Research:
Researching vector borne pathogens at local veterinary school: ~1400 hours, resulted in two publications
Assisting with mastitis research: ~ 50 hours
Assisting with epidemiology research: ~ 150 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
There’s really too many to list here, but I’ve served as service and philanthropy chairs in multiple clubs in college, president of one club in college, won an undergraduate research award and multiple merit based scholarships. Was on Dean’s List twice, and was state champion in speech and debate for multiple years in high school. I volunteered with Girls on the Run, tutored elementary school students, and volunteered at a women’s shelter while at college.

Non-Animal Employment:
I listed a few cashier/sales associate jobs I had in college. I worked as a data analyst in metabolomics for two years after college.

LORs:
Veterinarian/Practice Owner in Food Animal Practice who has known me since high school
Boarded anatomic pathologist who is a professor of veterinary pathology and has known me for 5 years

Practice owner and mixed animal vet who I worked for in a rural mixed animal practice

Associate mixed animal vet who I worked for in a rural mixed animal practice

Associate small animal vet who I worked with in an urban urgent care practice

Medical director for my urban urgent care practice

I wrote a LOT of essays but touched on some of the challenges I faced when I was in college (particularly experiencing an abusive relationship that really derailed my academic career, and having a learning disability). Focused a lot on how I grew from those challenges. I also discussed how my passion for veterinary medicine wasn’t based on a singular event, but was the culmination of all of my experiences. This was especially true for me because I am (hopefully) going to be a third generation DVM- my grandmother was a DVM, my parents are both DVMs, and my brother is currently in vet school. I grew up immersed in this work and that led to me being even more passionate about it.

The vet school application process is ROUGH and it’s frequently demoralizing. Do not be discouraged if you aren’t accepted the first time- do file reviews, talk to your professors and mentors to see how they improved grad school apps/vet school apps, don’t be afraid to make changes in your life to achieve your dream! Yay class of 2027!!!

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
CANNOT believe I finally get to post here!!!

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 23, F, Ohio, 2nd time applicant

Applied: tOSU, Mississippi, Kansas, NCSU (rejected), Purdue (rejected), Tennessee (rejected), Michigan (withdrew application) LMU, Colorado (rejected), Iowa
Interview Invites: tOSU, Mississippi, Kansas, LMU
Accepted: LMU (spring and fall), KSU, tOSU, Mississippi, Iowa waitlist!
Attending: THE Ohio State University!! 🤩

Overall GPA: 3.75
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.7
Last 45 GPA: 3.8, last 30 (OSU) 3.98

(If applicable)
Did not take

Degree(s): BS in Biology, chem minor

Veterinary Experience:
Experience - (hrs)
760 - assistant in mixed practice (70% equine/20% small animal/10% food animal)
60 - shadowed at a SA practice once a week for a semester
20 - shadowed at mixed practice for 1 week (food animal and small animal)
100 ish - food animal handling class taught by DVM in undergrad. Got to dehorn/castrate/vaccinate and all the cool things
45 - small animal med class taught by DVM in undergrad. hands on experiences learning basic physical exams
60 - shadowed at an equine veterinarian for a couple weeks before college

Animal Experience:
Experience - (hrs)
250 - milked cows on dairy farm one summer
400 - volunteer at an equine rescue one semester during undergrad for credit
10,000+ - owned and showed horses competitively my whole life
100 ish - dog/farm/horse sitting for friends

Research:
Experience - (hrs)
80 - field research on invasive tree species
60 - ZIKV research project looking at genomics and it’s evolution
80 - designed novel project evaluating use of aloe vera as an insecticide
120 - did research for a professor during undergrad

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience - (hrs)
120h - pre vet club (freshman and senior year)
100 - eventing team (equestrian, freshman year)
30 - volunteering non animal related before college
60 - volunteered at therapeutic horseback riding center during undergrad
60 - became employed at therapeutic riding center and taught lessons over the summer
Deans list every semester
PKP honor society
Tons of riding awards from horse shows
Intramural volleyball
Yoga independently for recreation

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience - (hrs)
600 - server at family restaurant during undergrad
250 - gen chem and biology tutor during undergrad
600 - server at olive garden during undergrad

LORs:
DVM - worked for her for 5 months at mixed practice
Professor - took his class and did research project with him
Trainer - employed me during high school and breaks, has known me for 8 years

I wrote about an experience that made me want to be a vet, and how I saw how my vet cared not only for my horse but also genuinely cared about me. Also talked about how I plan to care for every pet to the best of my ability regardless of factors impacting owners such as cultural and socioeconomic differences, etc. Basically how I want to make the world a better place by helping animals and their people, because animals make such an impact on human life and happiness.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 7 users
Looks like I will be the first Canadian to make a post here!

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 24, Male, Canada, 1st time applying to US schools (applied 4 times to OVC, interviewed 3 times with no luck)

Applied: Arizona, Colorado, Cornell, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Midwestern, Minnesota, North Carolina, Purdue, Wisconsin
Interview Invites: Illinois, Kansas, Midwestern, Minnesota
Waiting to hear: Midwestern (Alt List), Wisconsin (Alt List)
Accepted: Kansas, Illinois, Iowa
Attending: Kansas!

Overall GPA: 3.78
Science GPA: 3.74 (as per VMCAS, will be increased from Fall 2022, individual schools’ prereq GPAs vary)
Last 45 GPA: 3.98 (current, as per my Iowa status page, not sure exactly what it was prior to Fall 2022)

GRE (Q/V/W): N/A (didn’t take)

Degree(s): Bachelor of Science, Honours - Animal Biology (University of Guelph)

Veterinary Experience:
Experience - (~4700 hours at time of application, this has since gone up much higher)

Hours at time of application:

~2850 hours - Vet Assistant at small animal + avian/exotics GP/pseudo-emergency clinic
~900 hours - Intensive Care Unit Summer Student at the Ontario Veterinary College (high-responsibility position, in charge of completing treatments on my own)
~650 hours - Vet Assistant at an emergency hospital that treats small animals and avian/exotics
~230 hours - Shadowing at small animal GP clinic
~50 hours - Shadowing at small animal GP/reproduction specialty clinic
~10 hours - Shadowing large animal vet

Animal Experience:
Experience - (~200 hours)

~185 hours - Volunteer Zookeeper at a CAZA-accredited zoo, responsible to animal care as well as interacting with guests and assisting with outreach shows
~30 hours - Volunteering at an animal sanctuary

Research:
Experience - (~150 hours)

Feeding and monitoring seahorses in a marine research lab.

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience - (~2750 hours)

Discussed my personal reptile/aquarium keeping.

I also mentioned being a game leader for, and player in, a roleplaying game, as I genuinely feel like it has some value in interesting ways and was ready to talk about that, and at worst it will simply be ignored, I would imagine. (Ended up talking about this in my Illinois interview and I got accepted there, so maybe that says something)

I also talked about sports and band stuff dating back through high school.

I didn’t talk about playing video games and trading card games, as I feel they dig deeper into certain stigmas than needed and I didn’t have anything super evocative to say about it if it were to come up - there are certainly things I could say, but was also scared they may paint me in a bad light? Idk. My hours would certainly skyrocket if I had included them, and perhaps they would have painted a broader picture of myself as a person, but my call was to not include them.

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience - (~1000 hours)

I was a lifeguard and swim instructor prior to starting into the vet field many years ago.

LORs:
  • Veterinarian/Practice Owner of my current hospital

• Veterinarian from my current hospital

• Team Lead of the OVC Intensive Care Unit/Veterinary Technician (+ an assortment of other specialty titles and positions at other associations)

• Professor of my Vertebrate Ethology course from my undergrad

So many essays…

I don’t remember any specific moment that made me want to become a vet, it’s all I remember, so in my personal statement I described a core moment from my childhood that I felt helped solidify my passion for pursuing this career. I then discussed my various qualities that make me a strong applicant for a veterinary medicine program and kept referring back to that moment and the impact I could have, as a veterinarian, on the life of a child in a similar situation.

~~~

I am so happy to finally be attending vet school. Despite competitive grades and strong experience, even from within their own hospital, applying to OVC became fairly demoralizing, and I will never know what the thing was that stopped me from getting in, but there was no way I was going to let that stop me from pursuing this career. I would say it was something of a blessing in disguise, as they recently closed their exotics ward, much to the dismay of everyone in the veterinary community in the surrounding regions. As someone pursuing zoo med, I think I will have a much more incredible education at Kansas State!

Don’t let rejections make you think you aren’t worthy of going to vet school. Take it from someone who technically took 5 cycles to get in. Keep at it and do your best.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
23, female, Kentucky, traditional 1st time applicant (first-gen)

Applied: Illinois (rejected w/out interview), LSU (rejected w/out interview), Tennessee (rejected w/out interview), Wisconsin (Rejected), Minnesota, Purdue, Tufts, Auburn, Ohio State
Interview Invites: tOSU, Auburn, Tufts, Purdue, Minnesota
Waiting to hear: n/a
Accepted: Auburn, tOSU, Purdue, Minnesota, Tufts ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Attending: THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY!!!

Overall GPA: 3.68
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.45
Last 45 GPA: ~3.6
Degree(s): In Spring of 2023 I will graduate with

B.S. in biology w/ cellular physiology track
B.A. in philosophy w/ bioethics track

Veterinary Experience:

Vet assistant at mixed animal practice ~5,000 hrs (over 5+ years. I think they liked I got to develop a relationship with my boss and the business. I was cross-trained and not afraid of kennel work, which I emphasized)

Vet assistant at small animal practice ~400 hrs
Vet assistant at a mobile clinic ~200 hrs (this was so unique and I loved talking about how this really got to serve disadvantaged communities!)
After my application but this came up in my interviews:
Shadowing an internist ~3 hrs
Planned visit to do veterinary work in Jamaica ~unknown hrs

Animal Experience:

Family farm ~500 hrs (more, but I didn’t want to overestimate. Mentioned this in my experience box)
Leisurely horseback riding hobby ~500 hrs
Rodeo ~100 hrs (way more over 10 years, only included high school year. Mentioned this in my experience box)
Western Equine team ~100 hrs
Cat shelter volunteer ~50 hrs
Equine assisted therapy volunteer ~80 hrs
Pet sitting ~100 hrs

Research:

Volunteer research assistant w/ SOPH at my university on HIV (community, not laboratory) ~50hrs

After my application was turned in but came up in every interview:

Volunteer research assistant for PhD student dissertation on ticks in the area ~5 hrs
Volunteer research assistant for anthropology department, a project on ethics and restorative justice regarding human remains found in our biology dept ~25 hrs and counting

Extracurriculars/Awards:

Philosophy dept. scholarship recipient
KEES scholarship recipient
University merit scholarship recipient
Deans list a few semester
Bronze & Gold academic societies
Volunteer of the Year award
TRIO SSS (federally funded program for low income, first gen students who may suffer from physical and/or mental disabilities) ~200 hrs+
TRIO SSS SAB vice president ~100 hrs
TRIO SSS SAB communications chair ~ 100hrs
Riding & Racing Club ~20 hrs
TRIO SSS volunteer buddy program ~50 hrs
LEAD365 conference ~20 hrs
National Conference on Student Leadership ~20 hrs
Academic team (high school) ~50hrs
National honor society (high school) ~ 50hrs
Creative writing hobby ~ countless hours
Cooking/baking hobby ~ countless hours

Non-Animal Employment:

McDonalds ~2000 hrs
Server (Olive Garden) ~800 hrs
Server (Roosters) ~400 hrs (did not post on application but talked about it)
Sephora ~200 hrs (did not post on application but talked about it)

LORs:

Vet from clinic I’ve been at 5 years
Vet from mobile clinic
Microbiology professor
Philosophy professor

Gosh. There’s so much. I talked about how vet med wasn’t always my first choice, I just knew I wanted to make a difference in the world. I talked about overcoming a homeless situation and how taking a job in the veterinary field helped me with that. I talked about a very specific moment when I was a sophomore in college…reading a book written by my 7th grade English teacher and a veterinarian was tasked with saving the world that I realized how profound and important the profession was. It solidified my decision. I wanted a career that promoted and required constant learning, but also one where I could serve those from disadvantaged backgrounds. I also talked briefly about a few experiences and how they contributed to some characteristics that I believe would serve me well in my career as a veterinarian.

—————

DO NOT EVER LET ANYONE STALL YOUR DREAMS OR TELL YOU THAT YOU AREN’T GOOD ENOUGH. Statistically, I shouldn’t be here today and here I am. You can do this! If this is your dream, chase it. I had a pre-vet advisor write me an e-mail a few years back and I read it yesterday. Here is an excerpt:

“It is not looking good…If you receive all A’s over the next few semesters, you may have a very slim chance. (I didn’t receive all A’s after this email btw)...
If I were you, I would have other career options, like pre-med. Given your past record, I don’t think anything will be sufficient.
If I were you, the only other schools besides Auburn that I would even bother are …”

SHE WAS WRONG. Anyone who has ever told you that you can’t do this, is wrong. Your time will come and good things come to those work hard. If you are reading this and ever need help, advice, or just want to chat…I am a PM away <3

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
24 (25 soon), F, WI resident, non-traditional, 1st time applicant

Let me explain some of my stats. I've always wanted to be a veterinarian. I started out my undergrad as an animal science/pre-vet major. Unfortunately, I had a bit of a rough start and ended up changing my major to English and graduated in that. After undergrad, I found myself in law school. I wasn't passionate about law, but everyone told me I should go, so it seemed like the next step. I was miserable. I didn't see a future in law where I was happy. I kept second guessing my choices on why I left vet med but felt too trapped in those decisions to leave. I finally grew the balls to say enough is enough and left law school a year and a half in (halfway done) and started chasing my dream of becoming a vet. Long story short - you can literally do whatever you want in your life. This is your story and you are the author.
This quote resonated with me throughout this entire journey. I think it's accredited to F. Scott Fitzgerald, but I also think its a misquote... but that's not the point lol:
“For what it’s worth … it’s never too late, or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit. Start whenever you want. You can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. ... I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again.”

Applied: Midwestern, LMU, Arizona, Kansas State, Mizzou, LIU, Purdue, Minnesota, Tufts, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Colorado, Cornell, Oregon State, Ohio State, Florida, Illinois
Yes I applied to a LOT - don't feel you need to do the same. My husband and I had saved up for this. I figured that admissions committees would either like my story or not like it. I don't regret applying to so many places.
Rejections: Tennessee, Colorado, Cornell, Oregon State, Ohio State, Florida, Illinois
Interview Invites: Midwestern, LMU (withdrew app after interview), Arizona, Kansas State, Mizzou, LIU, Purdue, Minnesota, Tufts
Waitlist: Iowa State, Mizzou
Accepted: Midwestern, LIU, Kansas State, Arizona, Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Tufts
Attending: Purdue!!!!!!

Overall GPA: everything with law school: 3.58, undergrad & post bacc only: 3.73
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.75
Last 45 GPA: if fall 22 is included, only post bacc is included so it's a 3.86, but if fall 22 is not included I have my last semester of law school tacked on and it brings it down to 3.43 (what can i say i was a straight B student in law school lolol)

GRE (Q/V/W): x (%) / y (%) / z (%) Didn't take
Casper: 75-100th percentile

Degree(s): B.A. English Literature, B.A. History, minor Creative Writing from Purdue

Veterinary Experience:
~1000 SA GP vet assistant
~240 equine vet assisting with my SIL
~200 VA for SA GP from late high school

Animal Experience:
~1500 (actually have much more, just didn't know how to calculate all of it lol) riding, showing, training horses
~800 farm help in high school taking care of horses, cows, chickens
~500 (also probably an underestimate) 10 yr 4-h dog (obedience, showmanship, agility) and horse project member
~200 barn assistant in undergrad

Research:
0. Nada. Nothing.

Extracurriculars/Awards:
In Law School:
Mentor/Mentee program
Public Interest Law Fellow
Volunteer Legal Clinics
Student Advisory Board Member for Family Forms Clinic

In Undergrad:
Boiler Gold Rush - team leader (Purdue's freshman orientation program)
Sorority member - Risk manager my sophomore year
PU Dance Marathon - fundraising committee
Equestrian team - competitive riding member

Awards:
Pro Bono Scholar Award (basically i just did a lot of pro bono hours)
Law School Scholarships
English Major Scholarship
History Major Scholarship
Study Abroad Scholarship

Non-Animal Employment:
~525 Legal Intern at Milwaukee Justice Center
~200 Undergrad Intern for Fiction Studies Group on campus
~200 Summer Intern at Marketing Company
~300 Dental Assistant at my dad's clinic for like all of high school
~300 Lifeguarding during summers in high school

LORs:
SA GP vet I worked for
SA GP vet that mentored me throughout high school/growing up
Supervisor at my legal internship
Gen Chem Prof
Organic Chem Prof

I am an English major, so I wrote this bad boy like a story. I started out by describing Lake Michigan on a stormy day, making an analogy to my inner turmoil in law school and the unknown beyond of the waves calling out to me (aka vet med). I described the way my different path has given me unique characteristics to help me succeed in this profession. I talked about why vet med would fit me well and the passion I felt for it even after going down the path of another profession.
I truly think my personal statement helped me stand out. I started writing it very early and critiqued it several times. Try to write something that stands out. Admissions committees have to read 1000s of essays, so give them something that they'll stop after reading and say "wow... interesting! I want to know more about this person."

If you told me a year ago I'd be sitting with these outcomes, I wouldn't have believed you. The statistics of vet school make it seem impossible to get in. Just do everything you can to set yourself up for success and let fate take the reins. My mantra this cycle is that I'll end up where I'm meant to end up. Everything happens for a reason!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Degree(s): B.A. English Literature, B.A. History, minor Creative Writing from Purdue
Very cool degrees! I also talked about my creative writing journey in my app. I love to see others going into this career path with interests similar to me outside of vet med! :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Very cool degrees! I also talked about my creative writing journey in my app. I love to see others going into this career path with interests similar to me outside of vet med! :)
Me too! And I loved my majors. I’m glad I had those experiences. Everything happens for a reason!!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! And I loved my majors. I’m glad I had those experiences. Everything happens for a reason!!
Also non-trad with different Bachelors (Italian Studies and Psychology), I love seeing this range. Hopefully I'll get to post on here for real in a couple years when I apply!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users

Applied: Illinois (rejected w/out interview), LSU (rejected w/out interview), Tennessee (rejected w/out interview), Wisconsin, Minnesota, Purdue, Tufts, Auburn, Ohio State
Waiting to hear: Tufts, Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin
Accepted: Auburn, tOSU ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Attending: undecided

Veterinary Experience:

Vet assistant at mixed animal practice ~5,000 hrs (over 5+ years. I think they liked I got to develop a relationship with my boss and the business. I was cross-trained and not afraid of kennel work, which I emphasized)

Vet assistant at a mobile clinic ~200 hrs (this was so unique and I loved talking about how this really got to serve disadvantaged communities!)

Animal Experience:

Family farm ~500 hrs (more, but I didn’t want to overestimate. Mentioned this in my experience box)
Rodeo ~100 hrs (way more over 10 years, only included high school year. Mentioned this in my experience box)
Pet sitting ~100 hrs

Research:

Volunteer research assistant w/ SOPH at my university on HIV (community, not laboratory) ~50hrs

Volunteer research assistant for PhD student dissertation on ticks in the area ~5 hrs
Volunteer research assistant for anthropology department, a project on ethics and restorative justice regarding human remains found in our biology dept ~25 hrs and counting

Extracurriculars/Awards:

TRIO SSS (federally funded program for low income, first gen students who may suffer from physical and/or mental disabilities) ~200 hrs+

Non-Animal Employment:

McDonalds ~2000 hrs

LORs:

Vet from mobile clinic
Microbiology professor
Philosophy professor

Gosh. There’s so much. I talked about how vet med wasn’t always my first choice, I just knew I wanted to make a difference in the world. I talked about overcoming a homeless situation and how taking a job in the veterinary field helped me with that. I talked about a very specific moment when I was a sophomore in college…reading a book written by my 7th grade English teacher and a veterinarian was tasked with saving the world that I realized how profound and important the profession was. It solidified my decision. I wanted a career that promoted and required constant learning, but also one where I could serve those from disadvantaged backgrounds. I also talked briefly about a few experiences and how they contributed to some characteristics that I believe would serve me well in my career as a veterinarian.

—————

DO NOT EVER LET ANYONE STALL YOUR DREAMS OR TELL YOU THAT YOU AREN’T GOOD ENOUGH. Statistically, I shouldn’t be here today and here I am. You can do this! If this is your dream, chase it. I had a pre-vet advisor write me an e-mail a few years back and I read it yesterday. Here is an excerpt:

“It is not looking good…If you receive all A’s over the next few semesters, you may have a very slim chance. (I didn’t receive all A’s after this email btw)...
If I were you, I would have other career options, like pre-med. Given your past record, I don’t think anything will be sufficient.
If I were you, the only other schools besides Auburn that I would even bother are …”

SHE WAS WRONG. Anyone who has ever told you that you can’t do this, is wrong. Your time will come and good things come to those work hard. If you are reading this and ever need help, advice, or just want to chat…I am a PM away <3
I am so sorry you had such a negative advisor, wow. Your stats are competitive (clearly!), I am so glad you didn't give up!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I am so sorry you had such a negative advisor, wow. Your stats are competitive (clearly!), I am so glad you didn't give up!
Thank you so much for your kindness!

• Care
Attending: undecided, but K-State is high on my list! Will update this as I hear back the next few weeks.
Hope to see you at K-State! Maybe you can talk to my wife and convince her it isn't too late to go into the program she wants to pursue! Haha. I've been trying to convince her for so long that she is good enough for it and it isn't too late. I'll convince her eventually!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users

Applied: Illinois (rejected w/out interview), LSU (rejected w/out interview), Tennessee (rejected w/out interview), Wisconsin, Minnesota, Purdue, Tufts, Auburn, Ohio State
Waiting to hear: Tufts, Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin
Accepted: Auburn, tOSU ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Attending: undecided

Veterinary Experience:

Animal Experience:

Pet sitting ~100 hrs

Research:

Extracurriculars/Awards:

Non-Animal Employment:

McDonalds ~2000 hrs

LORs:

Vet from mobile clinic
Microbiology professor
Philosophy professor

—————

You go girl!!!! I can not believe your advisor said this to you. Clearly , your advisor was wrong. Congrats again.

• Care
You go girl!!!! I can not believe your advisor said this to you. Clearly , your advisor was wrong. Congrats again.
Thank you so much!!

21, M , AL resident , Trad, 1st Time

Applied: Auburn, LSU, Mizzou, TAMU, UGA
Interview Invites: Auburn, Mizzou, Texas A&M
Waiting to hear: UGA Mizzou
Accepted: Auburn, LSU
Attending: Auburn

Overall GPA: 3.96
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.94
Last 45 GPA: 3.94

GRE (Q/V/W): 158 (61%) / 159 (81%) / 4.5 (79%)
(Only used by UGA)

Degree(s): BS Animal and Veterinary Science (In Progress)

Veterinary Experience: 2000ish
Small animal hospital (1500)
Mixed animal (500)
Large animal (100 done after application submission, but came up in interviews)

Animal Experience: 500ish
Beef Cattle Experience through school (300hrs)
Dog Ownership (put 1hr in VMCAS)
Assorted farm species through university (100hrs)

Research: 50hrs
Poultry Research-1 semesters worth, I don't enjoy research too much, and was pretty upfront about that when asked about it and I think interviewers appreciated that I had done it for a semester but was honest about my lack of interest in it.

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Couple Scholarships and President's List from a few semesters
University rock climbing club
Pre-Vet Club
Fraternity
IFC Honor Court
University Leadership Program
TAed for a few Animal Sci. Classes

Non-Animal Employment:
University Chem Tutor (400hrs)

LORs:
Small animal Vet
Mixed animal Vet
Professor who I TAed for
Coordinator of Leadership Program

Looking back, my essays were probably pretty boring for an admissions committee to read. Spoke on everything about veterinary medicine I loved outside of the actual medicine/science. Really focused on the role of a veterinarian within a community. Talked about the highs and lows of being able to be inserted in a client-patient human-animal bond. I would've definitely made my essays more personal and less analytical looking back, but guess they were good enough.

I'm about as traditional an applicant as you can get, so I don't really have an incredible empowering message to leave here. Just that if you're starting to apply now, the all-nighters are worth it, and never underestimate the power of a cold-email. Score one for the guys in vetmed. War Eagle!

• Love
Cardio exam went great! But came home to our youngest dog vomiting everywhere. Ya win some ya lose some. Back to school for veterinary care!

Congratulations to everyone else who got into c/o 2027!!

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 26F, California, non-traditional, first time applicant

Applied:
UC Davis and Colorado State
Interview Invites:
Davis
Waiting to hear:
none, rejected from CSU
Accepted:
UC Davis
Attending:
UC Davis!!

Overall GPA:
Last 45 GPA:

GRE (Q/V/W):
61% (158) / 87% (161) / 54% (4.0)

Degree(s): BA in Psychology, cum laude from NYU 2018 with minors in politics/CAMS

Veterinary Experience:

Small animal experience as a VA - probably close to 3000 hours
Exotics animal experience as a VA - around 1000 hours
Both were from working at local GP clinics around me!

Animal Experience:
volunteered at a therapeutic riding center on/off for 3 years or so, and also did petsitting/dog walking through Rover for about 2 years. I've also been taking riding lessons on/off since HS, but did not include this in my app.

Research:
none

Extracurriculars/Awards:
I had a couple small awards/scholarships from NYU but nothing really too big and was not involved in clubs/extracurriculars while at NYU (which I've since regretted)

Non-Animal Employment:
Worked for 3 years PT as a marketing and research blogger/assistant within the fashion/retail/tech world!

LORs:
All but 1 of them were from veterinarians that I had worked with from different clinics, and one was from my old practice manager who is also an RVT. I believe the 3 that I submitted to UC Davis were all from veterinarians!

Wrote about how vet med wasn't my first choice and that I had planned on doing something like pre-law while at NYU or going into the marketing/corporate side of things after graduation. However, I talked about some experiences w/in clinic life while working as a VA that pushed me to re-explore the possibilities of vet med as it had been something I'd been interested in since I was a kid (very original, I know). Overall just talked about the flexibilities of the DVM degree and how I felt that it was the right fit for me after exploring a totally diff. career path!

So excited to get to post here!!

21, F, GA resident, Traditional 1st time
Applied: (too many) UGA, Florida, Auburn, NC State, Tennessee, Colorado State, TAMU, Purdue, UW-Madison
Interview Invites: Florida, Auburn, TAMU, Purdue (UGA doesn't do interviews)
Rejections: NC State, Colorado State, Tennessee, UW-Madison
Waitlists: Auburn, Purdue, Florida (removed myself from all waitlists so unsure if I would have gotten off them)
Accepted: UGA and TAMU
Attending: TAMU!

Overall GPA: 3.85
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.79
Last 45 GPA: 3.79

GRE (Q/V/W): 163 (76%) / 166 (97%) / 4.5 (79%)
(only for UGA)

CASPER: 3rd quartile (50-75%)

Degree(s): B.S. Biology, B.S. Applied Languages and Intercultural Studies (Spanish) from Georgia Tech

Veterinary Experience: 1036 hours
Vet assistant at local practice during high school - 580 hr
Vet assistant at second practice during a college summer - 336 hr
Assistant at university research animal holding facility during a college summer - 120 hr

Animal Experience: 200 hours
Wildlife rehab internship - (200 hrs)

Research: ~700 hr
Research assistant in a protein characterization lab for 1 semester - 192 hr
Research assistant in motor control physiology lab for 2 years, senior research thesis - 520 hr

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Georgia Tech Marching Band all 4 years! - 387 hr
Fraternity Service Chair and Judicial Board member - 11 hr at time of application submission
GT Early Research Award (enabled paid research my second semester of college)
Georgia Seal of Biliteracy

Non-Animal Employment: ~420 hr
Supplemental Instruction provider and mentor - 256 hr
TA for 2 biology courses - 168 hr

LORs:
Motor control research PI
Motor control research support veterinarian
Supplemental instruction boss, also a bio professor
Spanish study abroad professor

Wrote about how the combination of a really bad skiing injury last spring break (broke 4 bones) and an animal research experience pushed me to want to become an orthopedic surgeon and a staunch advocate for animal research and its faster inclusion in clinical practice (ie. better CE and less red tape). Talked some about the language barriers I had seen in veterinary care in Atlanta and how I wanted to use my Spanish to contribute to increased accessibility as well.

Good luck to everyone! Put your all into this dream and don't look back!

Last edited:
22, F, Colorado, Traditional, 1st time

Applied: Colorado, Tennessee, Lincoln Memorial, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia-Maryland
Interview Invites: Lincoln Memorial
Waiting to hear:
Waitlist:
North Carolina
Accepted: Colorado, Tennessee (early acceptance, no interview), Lincoln Memorial
Attending: haven't made a final decision yet, but most likely my dream school, Colorado! Go Rams!

Degree(s): Will be graduating in May with B.S. in Biology with Honors

Veterinary Experience:
Vet assistant at small animal GP: 600 hours
Receptionist at another small animal GP: 250 hours
Shelter med intern at high volume spay/neuter clinic: 500 hours
Extern with equine vet: 100 hours
Laboratory assistant in continuing education (CE) dept. at vet teaching hospital (also helped train new volunteers/employees): 350 hours

Animal Experience:
Shelter volunteer (dogs, cats, reptiles, birds, rabbits, pocket pets; mentored new volunteers and was approved to work with and socialize reactive/timid cats): 250 hours
Work on Boer goat farm (bottle feeding, giving vaccines, tagging): 100 hours
Petting farm volunteer (goats, sheep, cattle, ponies, chickens): 80 hours
Reptile/exotic animal handling at science museum: 40 hours

Research:
Undergraduate research assistant in (non-vet) biology lab + conducting novel research project for thesis: 700 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
High school varsity swim team: ~300 hours (underestimate)
High school FFA club officer: ~150 hours
Assistant swim coach for summer swim league (unpaid): ~100 hours
Undergrad pre-vet club member: ~30 hours
Dean's List (all completed undergrad semesters)
Several merit-based scholarships throughout undergrad

Non-Animal Employment:
Nada

LORs:
Shelter Med DVM
Primary Investigator (PI) of research lab (PhD)
Direct supervisor at CE job (not a DVM)

I primarily focused on one particular moment in my shelter med experience that really changed my perspective on the profession (unexpected loss of a surgery patient). I gained a lot of insight from that experience and wanted to highlight that in a "show, don't tell" kind of way. I love to write, so I kind of wrote my essay a bit like a story. I also described valuable, transferable skills that I gained through my research experience and work in CE since I think getting vet experience in an academic setting is pretty unique. Lastly, I discussed my passion for championing accessible veterinary care, which is deeply personal to me and my experiences, and how I now realize that shelter medicine is my calling.

I am so grateful for this opportunity to follow my dream and to those that helped me along the way. Congrats, class of 2027! It's no longer a dream - we made it a reality!

Last edited:
  • Love
Truly cannot believe I get to post here. This thread from previous years was a huge factor in me believing in myself and my application.

23, F, Maine, Traditional applicant w 1 gap year, first time applicant.

Applied: tOSU, RVC, SGU, WSU, CSU, NCState, Purdue, AVC, PennVet, UTK, UMN (I definitely splurged on applications - I lacked confidence and felt like I should try to increase my chances, looking back I would apply to less schools and save the money)

Interview Invites: RVC, SGU, PennVet, UTK (declined my interview), Purdue, AVC, UMN, tOSU

Waiting to hear: WSU (waitlisted)

Accepted: RVC, SGU, PennVet, AVC, (updated 2/10) tOSU, (updated 2/17), UMN and Purdue.

Attending: PURDUE!

Overall GPA:
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.82
Last 45 GPA: 3.92

(If applicable) NA

Degree(s):
B.S. in zoology

Veterinary Experience:
Wildlife/conservation medicine internship in South Africa - 105hrs
Equine ambulatory/emergency veterinary assistant - 100 hrs
Equine veterinary assistant (dental focused practice) - 1,500 hrs
Equine veterinary assistant at an ambulatory clinic in high school - 700 hrs

Animal Experience:
2,500 (I rounded down a LOT) hrs - equine handling/training/competing, pony club, eventing, working in horse farms.
500 hrs - small animal care, being a private pet sitter, mostly dogs and cats.

Research:
550 hrs - research technician on a small mammal (wild mice, voles, squirrels etc) behavioral research project.

Extracurriculars/Awards:
I included about 1000 hrs of extracurriculars such as hiking and competitive dance.
Deans list x 6
Presidential scholar x 2
Summa cum laude in undergrad
A merit based scholarship from my school

Non-Animal Employment:
Student teacher in a science course - 315 hrs
Server/barista - 2,500 hrs

LORs:
Equine veterinarian I worked with in HS
Equine veterinarian who I worked for all through undergrad
Principal researcher from small mammal research project
Ochem professor

For my personal statement I tried to really explain how I was the summation of my experiences, and how each of my unique experiences have prepared me for veterinary school and practice beyond. I started with a brief story of a moment that I felt communicated my long withstanding passion for helping animals. I then tried to tell the story of my path to the decision to apply to school while communicating the skills and experiences I had gained through the years. I really wanted to express that I did not make the decision to pursue this career lightly.

To anyone reading this, I am cheering you on! Keep chasing the dream. I had many people tell me I was stupid for pursing this, or that I wouldn’t make it. If this is what you want, then use the nay-sayers as motivation; go prove them wrong!!! SDN was so huge for me in my application preparation/interviews, if anyone has questions or even just needs a cheerleader - message me!

Last edited:
  • Love
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 21, she/they nonbinary, new jersey, traditional applicant, 1st time applying

Applied: AVC, Cornell, Edinburgh, Florida, NCSU
Interview Invites: AVC, Edinburgh, Florida
Waiting to hear:
Accepted:
AVC, Cornell, Edinburgh, Florida
Waitlisted: NCSU (OOS)
Attending: Florida!

Overall GPA: 3.90
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.86

GRE (Q/V/W): didn't take it

Degree(s): b.s. animal science

Veterinary Experience: ~900hrs
- nicu overnight foal sitter - 320hrs
- vet assistant at small animal practice - 520hrs
- vet box assistant at horse park - 16hrs
- small animal surgery shadow - 12hrs

Animal Experience: ~1600hrs
- farmhand on organic donkey farm in france (this was a big hit at interviews) - 160hrs
- amphibian crossing guard (another hit) - 12hrs
- teaching assistant for horse handling class - 120hrs
- stable hand / rider at dressage barn - 1160hrs (very conservative estimate here tbh)
- personal pet sitting business - 100hrs

Research: ~500hrs
- personal thesis project on equine facial behaviors - 300hrs
- research assistant for study on equine microbiomes - 100hrs
- research assistant for study on equine stress behaviors - 125hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:
- summa cum laude + graduated a year early
- honors thesis and honors program
- senior excellence award for research/academic achievement
- certification in bovine artificial insemination
- champion for ida quiz challenge
- ihsa achievement award
- ag honor society member
- dressage rider on equestrian team
- trip leader for outdoors club
- vp of pre-vet club
- french fluency certification

Non-Animal Employment:
- language assistant in france - 40hrs (at time of application)
- peer instructor (professor) of a 1 semester long intro class that i built the curriculum for - 50hrs
- volunteer for local horse show association - 20hrs
- waitress - 1200hrs

LORs:
- director of equine research center who i did a project under
- researcher / professor who i TAed for
- veterinarian / professor who was also my club advisor
- veterinarian i worked with at small animal practice

i loved my statement, i was pretty inspired by james herriot's writing style when i wrote it and i don't think it turned out half bad. i wrote about how i love people, which is a trait that often surprises others given the stereotype of veterinarians being "animal people." i centered my essay around one shared moment with an owner at a small animal practice, as i took the time to speak with her and slowly unwound her story. she was severely depressed and her cat was infested with fleas - this was also during the pandemic, which furthered her isolation and loneliness. i talked about how her desire to give her cat the care it deserved was what kept her hanging on, and how she decided to check into a hospital for mental health care after i told her about someone i loved who was facing a similar struggle and really benefitted from doing that. i then wrapped up by talking about how it's important to be able to work well with people as a veterinarian because every pet has a family attached to it, and talked about how honored i feel to have had the chance to share deeply emotional moments with pet owners during my work at the clinic. this statement was whipped out at three in the morning over the course of one hour the week before the VMCAS deadline and i never had anyone edit or look over it, so while i highly DONT recommend doing this if you end up in the same boat don't stress it. you know yourself best and you'll know when the statement feels right!

for the supplements, i also wrote about:
- time i had to on-the-fly translate an appointment for a solely spanish-speaking client over the phone, while not being a spanish speaker in the slightest
- time i had to artificially inseminate dairy cows and how it was totally filthy and exhausting work, but so rewarding
- time i had to take care of a red-bag preemie foal named noodle
- my experiences hosting basement shows in the underground punk scene at university
- diversity statement on being lgbtq
- being outdoors and my experiences hiking biking skiing sailing riding etc

Other:
my hours were definitely low (i also underestimated several of them which upon reflection wasn't super smart), but they were very diverse and most importantly they were meaningful to me! truly anything can be bent to look relevant to your veterinary career, so do what you love and worry about the hours later. i wouldn't change any of my experiences even if they weren't as high in quantity as i would have liked, and i think they helped me stand out a lot.

Last edited:
  • Love
21, F, PA resident, trad. app., first time app. I can't believe I get to be making this post!!!

Applied: UPenn, NC State, Arizona, Tennessee, Illinois, Kansas State
Interview Invites: Arizona, Tennessee, Illinois, Kansas State
Waiting to hear: Arizona
Waitlisted: Kansas State (but removing my name from the list)
Accepted: Tennessee, Illinois
Attending: Tennessee!!!

Overall GPA: 3.92
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.93
Last 45 GPA: 3.91

GRE (Q/V/W):
160 (67%) / 159 (81%) / 5.0 (91%)
(If applicable)

Degree(s): I will be completing a B.S. Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences with honors and a B.S. Immunology and Infectious Disease at Penn State this spring.

Veterinary Experience:

Experience - 300 hrs shelter med experience, 120 hrs other small animal experience, 20 hrs large animal/equine experience

Animal Experience:
Experience - 550 hrs kennel attendant work, 100 hrs farmhand work

Research:
Experience - 200 hrs working on my thesis project (evaluating plant compounds as potential antibiotic/bacteristatic compounds)

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience - Dean's list every semester, Schreyer Honors College scholar, president of my service sorority (+ lots of community service hours), involvement with a theater organization (multiple different leadership positions), heavily involved in fundraising for Penn State THON

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience - 250 hrs working at LifeTime fitness, 125 hrs working as a peer math tutor at Penn State

LORs:
PhD scientist I am completing my research under
PhD scientist that I worked for on her farm
Volunteer coordinator for the shelter clinic I volunteered at

My personal statement mainly focused on how the veterinarian we take our family cat to fostered my interest in vet med from a young age, and how his willingness to educate me on the field led me into continuing my pursuit of a career in vet med. Other essays for the various schools I applied to discussed how I worked through roommate struggles, how my best friend has inspired me, etc.

Last edited:
Before giving my stats, I want to comment that I did include my high school extracurriculars/awards/etc. and my personal pet ownership hours due to the recommendations of some of the schools I applied to. I specify which is from college/high school in this description. In my opinion, if a school doesn’t consider it, they can skip it. If you don’t put it on your application, the schools that do want to see it will have no idea you did it! Mizzou in particular really stressed including high school information.

21, Female, Arkansas, Traditional, 1st time

Applied: UW-Madison, Penn (VMD + PhD/VMD dual), Cornell (DVM + PhD/DVM dual), Colorado (DVM + PhD/DVM dual), Washington, Texas A&M, LSU, Mizzou, UC-Davis, Oklahoma, Mississippi, NC State, Arizona (13 schools)
Interview Invites: Texas A&M, LSU, Mississippi, UC-Davis, Colorado (PhD/DVM dual)
Waiting to hear: None
Rejected: Mizzou, Arizona, Cornell PhD/DVM dual, Penn VMD + PhD/VMD dual
Waitlisted: NC State, Washington
Accepted: Cornell (DVM only), Colorado (DVM only, alternate for PhD/DVM dual), Texas A&M, UC-Davis, Oklahoma, UW-Madison, LSU, Mississippi
Attending: UC-Davis!!

GRE (Q/V/W): 161 (70%) / 162 (90%) / 5.0 (91%)
Casper: 3rd quartile (50-75%)

Degree(s): Pending for Spring 2023 but B.S. in Animal Science with pre-professional concentration, minor in Biology

Veterinary Experience: ~920 hours total
  • Veterinary assistant/nurse at a one-veterinarian mixed animal practice (specified ~80 equine, ~800 dogs/cats, ~15 other)
  • Shadowed public health veterinarian for ~20 hours
  • Helped veterinarians in a free vaccination program for ~5 hours
Animal Experience: ~139 non-pet hours, ~2,386 pet ownership hours
  • Non-pet ownership: poultry judging class, swine production class, sheep production class, humane society, volunteering at a farm, volunteering with exotics
  • Pet ownership: cats and rats (I specified that I underestimated the hours)
  • I was very worried I would look terrible for my non-pet, non-vet animal experience hours, so do not be discouraged if you are in the same boat!! I also didn't think my vet hours were varied enough either!
Research: ~235 hours in college, ~112 hours in high school
  • Project analyzing healthcare employment statistics during COVID-19: ~20
  • Honors project that involved collecting ticks from Arkansas state parks and testing them for Ehrlichia and Rickettsia species via qPCR: ~215 hours
  • AP Research project from high school analyzing the perceptions of pagan beliefs in the southern United States: ~112
Extracurriculars/Awards: ~498 extracurricular hours in college, ~458 hours in high school
  • College extracurriculars included Honors co-lead mentor for the freshman Honors class, involvement ambassador, public relations officer and secretary for oSTEM (club for LGBTQ+ students), secretary and bylaws chair for Sigma Alpha (professional agricultural sorority), public relations officer and president of the Pre-Vet Club, and various small volunteer projects
  • High school extracurriculars included team captain of Science Olympiad, president of our National Honor Society chapter, captain of TEAMS, and volunteering at as a camp counselor for a museum
  • Awards while in college included several Collegiate Poultry Judging awards at the national level, Chancellor’s List each semester, 2 research presentation awards at my university, a research grant, American Society of Animal Science undergraduate scholastic achievement awards, and merit-based scholarships
  • Awards while in high school included AP Capstone diploma, AP Scholar with Distinction, valedictorian, Science Olympiad awards at the state level, National Merit Commended Student, and TEAMS awards at the state level
Non-Animal Employment: ~56 hours in college
  • Ambassador for my college assisting with student recruitment and retention
LORs: 4 total
  • One mixed animal veterinarian I worked for
  • One science professor/academic advisor who was also a veterinarian (I did not work under/shadow them in a veterinary capacity)
  • One non-science professor/extracurricular advisor
  • One research mentor
I explained that my high school did not have 4H or FFA, but I took an interest in animals/agriculture elsewhere growing up. I wrote about how I don’t just want to help animals, but I also want to help people. I find the human-animal bond beautiful and related this to my veterinary experience at a mixed clinic. I also talked about my college research project and how it sparked an interest in public health and zoonotic diseases, and once again, how animals and humans intersected. Ultimately, I ended up explaining how I have seen such a variety of paths in veterinary medicine, and the more I learn, the more I love it. I was very clear that I do not know exactly what I want to do as a veterinarian, but that my leadership and experiences have prepared me no matter the path I choose. I did not have a specific defining moment like the essay prompt suggested.

In many of my school-specific essays, I talked about my passion for inclusivity and related it to my experiences (ex. my research on perceptions of paganism in the south). I especially talked about being an LGBTQ+ student and my involvement in oSTEM.

Other notes:
I want to say that I applied to so many schools because I have no in-state school, BUT I am glad I did because UC-Davis was at the bottom of my list. I didn't think I’d get in with my quant GRE compared to their OOS average (85%, which is wild)! Davis is where I'm choosing to go! Similarly, I convinced a friend of mine to apply to Washington at the last minute. She thought there was no way she’d get in, and she did. I know several upperclassmen from my university last year who applied to 10+ and only got into 1 or 2. So I definitely don't regret applying to a bunch!

Last edited:
  • Love
Before giving my stats, I want to comment that I did include my high school extracurriculars/awards/etc. and my personal pet ownership hours due to the recommendations of some of the schools I applied to. I specify which is from college/high school in this description. In my opinion, if a school doesn’t consider it, they can skip it. If you don’t put it on your application, the schools that do want to see it will have no idea you did it! Mizzou in particular really stressed including high school information.

21, Female, Arkansas, Traditional, 1st time

Applied: UW-Madison, Penn (DVM + PhD/DVM dual), Cornell (DVM + PhD/DVM dual), Colorado (DVM + PhD/DVM dual), Washington, Texas A&M, Louisiana, Mizzou, UC-Davis, Oklahoma, Mississippi, NC State, Arizona (13 schools)
Interview Invites: Texas A&M, Louisiana, Mississippi, UC-Davis, Colorado (PhD/DVM dual)
Waiting to hear: UW-Madison, Penn (DVM only), Louisiana, Mississippi
Accepted: Cornell (DVM only), Colorado (DVM only, alternate for PhD/DVM dual), Texas A&M, UC-Davis, Oklahoma
Attending: Undecided

GRE (Q/V/W): 161 (70%) / 162 (90%) / 5.0 (91%)
Casper: 3rd quartile (50-75%)

Degree(s): Pending for Spring 2023 but B.S. in Animal Science with pre-professional concentration, minor in Biology

Veterinary Experience: ~920 hours total
  • Veterinary assistant/nurse at a one-veterinarian mixed animal practice (specified ~80 equine, ~800 dogs/cats, ~15 other)
  • Shadowed public health veterinarian for ~20 hours
  • Helped veterinarians in a free vaccination program for ~5 hours
Animal Experience: ~139 non-pet hours, ~2,386 pet ownership hours
  • Non-pet ownership: poultry judging class, swine production class, sheep production class, humane society, volunteering at a farm, volunteering with exotics
  • Pet ownership: cats and rats (I specified that I underestimated the hours)
  • I was very worried I would look terrible for my non-pet, non-vet animal experience hours, so do not be discouraged if you are in the same boat!! I also didn't think my vet hours were varied enough either!
Research: ~235 hours in college, ~112 hours in high school
  • Project analyzing healthcare employment statistics during COVID-19: ~20
  • Honors project that involved collecting ticks from Arkansas state parks and testing them for Ehrlichia and Rickettsia species via qPCR: ~215 hours
  • AP Research project from high school analyzing the perceptions of pagan beliefs in the southern United States: ~112
Extracurriculars/Awards: ~498 extracurricular hours in college, ~458 hours in high school
  • College extracurriculars included Honors co-lead mentor for the freshman Honors class, involvement ambassador, public relations officer and secretary for oSTEM (club for LGBTQ+ students), secretary and bylaws chair for Sigma Alpha (professional agricultural sorority), public relations officer and president of the Pre-Vet Club, and various small volunteer projects
  • High school extracurriculars included team captain of Science Olympiad, president of our National Honor Society chapter, captain of TEAMS, and volunteering at as a camp counselor for a museum
  • Awards while in college included several Collegiate Poultry Judging awards at the national level, Chancellor’s List each semester, 2 research presentation awards at my university, a research grant, American Society of Animal Science undergraduate scholastic achievement awards, and merit-based scholarships
  • Awards while in high school included AP Capstone diploma, AP Scholar with Distinction, valedictorian, Science Olympiad awards at the state level, National Merit Commended Student, and TEAMS awards at the state level
Non-Animal Employment: ~56 hours in college
  • Ambassador for my college assisting with student recruitment and retention
LORs: 4 total
  • One mixed animal veterinarian I worked for
  • One science professor/academic advisor who was also a veterinarian (I did not work under/shadow them in a veterinary capacity)
  • One non-science professor/extracurricular advisor
  • One research mentor
I explained that my high school did not have 4H or FFA, but I took an interest in animals/agriculture elsewhere growing up. I wrote about how I don’t just want to help animals, but I also want to help people. I find the human-animal bond beautiful and related this to my veterinary experience at a mixed clinic. I also talked about my college research project and how it sparked an interest in public health and zoonotic diseases, and once again, how animals and humans intersected. Ultimately, I ended up explaining how I have seen such a variety of paths in veterinary medicine, and the more I learn, the more I love it. I was very clear that I do not know exactly what I want to do as a veterinarian, but that my leadership and experiences have prepared me no matter the path I choose. I did not have a specific defining moment like the essay prompt suggested.

In many of my school-specific essays, I talked about my passion for inclusivity and related it to my experiences (ex. my research on perceptions of paganism in the south). I especially talked about being an LGBTQ+ student and my involvement in oSTEM.

Other notes:
I want to say that I applied to so many schools because I have no in-state school, BUT I am glad I did because UC-Davis was at the bottom of my list. I didn't think I’d get in with my quant GRE compared to their OOS average (85%, which is wild)! Currently, Davis is the most likely place I’ll go. Similarly, I convinced a friend of mine to apply to Washington at the last minute. She thought there was no way she’d get in, and she did. I know several upperclassmen from my university last year who applied to 10+ and only got into 1 or 2. So I definitely don't regret applying to a bunch!
Ahh congrats! I also received an AP Capstone diploma and totally slipped my mind to put it in my application darn

• Care
24 (25 soon), F, WI resident, non-traditional, 1st time applicant

Let me explain some of my stats. I've always wanted to be a veterinarian. I started out my undergrad as an animal science/pre-vet major. Unfortunately, I had a bit of a rough start and ended up changing my major to English and graduated in that. After undergrad, I found myself in law school. I wasn't passionate about law, but everyone told me I should go, so it seemed like the next step. I was miserable. I didn't see a future in law where I was happy. I kept second guessing my choices on why I left vet med but felt too trapped in those decisions to leave. I finally grew the balls to say enough is enough and left law school a year and a half in (halfway done) and started chasing my dream of becoming a vet. Long story short - you can literally do whatever you want in your life. This is your story and you are the author.
This quote resonated with me throughout this entire journey. I think it's accredited to F. Scott Fitzgerald, but I also think its a misquote... but that's not the point lol:
“For what it’s worth … it’s never too late, or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit. Start whenever you want. You can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. ... I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again.”

Applied: Midwestern, LMU, Arizona, Kansas State, Mizzou, LIU, Purdue, Minnesota, Tufts, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Colorado, Cornell, Oregon State, Ohio State, Florida, Illinois
Yes I applied to a LOT - don't feel you need to do the same. My husband and I had saved up for this. I figured that admissions committees would either like my story or not like it. I don't regret applying to so many places.
Rejections: Tennessee, Colorado, Cornell, Oregon State, Ohio State, Florida, Illinois
Interview Invites: Midwestern, LMU (withdrew app after interview), Arizona, Kansas State, Mizzou, LIU, Purdue, Minnesota, Tufts
Waiting to hear: Mizzou, Purdue, Minnesota, Tufts, Wisconsin, Iowa State
Accepted: Midwestern, LIU, Kansas State, Arizona
Attending: undecided, but K-State is high on my list! Will update this as I hear back the next few weeks.

Overall GPA: everything with law school: 3.58, undergrad & post bacc only: 3.73
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.75
Last 45 GPA: if fall 22 is included, only post bacc is included so it's a 3.86, but if fall 22 is not included I have my last semester of law school tacked on and it brings it down to 3.43 (what can i say i was a straight B student in law school lolol)

GRE (Q/V/W): x (%) / y (%) / z (%) Didn't take
Casper: 75-100th percentile

Veterinary Experience:
~1000 SA GP vet assistant
~240 equine vet assisting with my SIL
~200 VA for SA GP from late high school

Animal Experience:
~1500 (actually have much more, just didn't know how to calculate all of it lol) riding, showing, training horses
~800 farm help in high school taking care of horses, cows, chickens
~500 (also probably an underestimate) 10 yr 4-h dog (obedience, showmanship, agility) and horse project member
~200 barn assistant in undergrad

Research:
0. Nada. Nothing.

Extracurriculars/Awards:
In Law School:
Mentor/Mentee program
Public Interest Law Fellow
Volunteer Legal Clinics
Student Advisory Board Member for Family Forms Clinic

In Undergrad:
Boiler Gold Rush - team leader (Purdue's freshman orientation program)
Sorority member - Risk manager my sophomore year
PU Dance Marathon - fundraising committee
Equestrian team - competitive riding member

Awards:
Pro Bono Scholar Award (basically i just did a lot of pro bono hours)
Law School Scholarships
English Major Scholarship
History Major Scholarship
Study Abroad Scholarship

Non-Animal Employment:
~525 Legal Intern at Milwaukee Justice Center
~200 Undergrad Intern for Fiction Studies Group on campus
~200 Summer Intern at Marketing Company
~300 Dental Assistant at my dad's clinic for like all of high school
~300 Lifeguarding during summers in high school

LORs:
SA GP vet I worked for
SA GP vet that mentored me throughout high school/growing up
Supervisor at my legal internship
Gen Chem Prof
Organic Chem Prof

I am an English major, so I wrote this bad boy like a story. I started out by describing Lake Michigan on a stormy day, making an analogy to my inner turmoil in law school and the unknown beyond of the waves calling out to me (aka vet med). I described the way my different path has given me unique characteristics to help me succeed in this profession. I talked about why vet med would fit me well and the passion I felt for it even after going down the path of another profession.
I truly think my personal statement helped me stand out. I started writing it very early and critiqued it several times. Try to write something that stands out. Admissions committees have to read 1000s of essays, so give them something that they'll stop after reading and say "wow... interesting! I want to know more about this person."

If you told me a year ago I'd be sitting with these outcomes, I wouldn't have believed you. The statistics of vet school make it seem impossible to get in. Just do everything you can to set yourself up for success and let fate take the reins. My mantra this cycle is that I'll end up where I'm meant to end up. Everything happens for a reason!
Wow! I relate to this a lot. tmi but my single mom of four wasn't able to go to college and her dream was to be a lawyer. She always kinda shoved it down my sister and I's throat to be a lawyer -- always discouraged me to go through the vet med route. Reading your story really gave me the chills as I feel like that seriously could have been me. I am so glad that you came back around to your true calling.

• Care
21, F, California, Traditional applicant, first time

Applied: UC Davis, Cornell, Colorado, The Ohio State, Michigan State, Oregon, Washington, WesternU, UW-Madison
Rejected: UC Davis, Cornell, Colorado, Washington, UW-Madison
Waitlisted: Oregon
Interview Invites: WesternU, The Ohio State, Michigan State
Accepted:
WesternU, The Ohio State, Michigan State
Attending: The Ohio State <3

Overall GPA: 3.54
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.49
Last 45 GPA: 3.76

GRE (Q/V/W): 141 (8%) / 148 (34%) / 4.5 (79%)
*these are terrible - only took it for UCD did not study and yes got rejected*

Degree(s): Pending Spring 2023 - B.S. Animal Science specialization in livestock and dairy

Veterinary Experience: - 6,000 hours
  • Animal health technician at a primate research center
  • ICU Veterinary Assistant at a small animal emergency hospital
  • Technician Assistant at a small animal speciality emergency hospital
  • Shadowing a general practice veterinarian
  • Mock food animal clinical rotation at UCD SVM
  • Volunteer for one health clinic
  • Volunteer for pets of individuals experiencing homeliness clinic
  • Study abroad trip to Guatemala (access to care)
Animal Experience: - 500 hours
  • volunteer wildlife center
  • Various animal Science labs
  • Halter breaking heifers internship
  • volunteer at shelter
Research: - 100 hours
  • Emerging scholar for California Alliance For Minority Participation
  • Online research assistant (data stuff)
Extracurriculars/Awards: -1400 hours
  • Certificate recipient for Purdue University's Certificate for Diversity & Inclusion in Veterinary Medicine
  • Board member for pre-vet diversity club on campus
  • Selected participant for UCD SVM Enrichment Program
  • Selected participant for Vet up! Purdue CVM program
  • Tutor for Incarcerated Individuals
  • Selected participant Diversity Leadership Development Program
  • Board member for service dog club
  • Guest speaker for underclassmen
  • Selected member for a biology scholars program
  • Club member for assisting women experiencing homelessness
  • Club member for Archery
  • Emerging scholar for California Alliance For Minority Participation
Non-Animal Employment: N/A

LORs:

1 veterinarian - practice owner from a shadowing experience
2 pHD candidates that were my mentors in two separate programs
1 science professor
1 faculty in a leadership diversity program I was in

Wrote about being unable to own a pet as a child due to being raised in a low-income family. Tied it to my first veterinary experience shadowing a veterinarian in a low-income community -- saw that my experience was not isolated. Started to become involved in experiences centred around spectrum of care such as clinics for pets of individuals experiencing homelessness and pets from rural communities with predominantly Latinx communities. I became passionate about the preservation of the human-animal bond through incremental veterinary care instead of the gold-standard of care. Discussed access to care is multifaceted and the monetary aspects continue to be addressed in veterinary medicine but other barriers still continue to be overlooked. Discussed being a part of the less than 10% of Latinx veterinarians will allow me to address barriers that affect my community such as language barriers which I have been able to address as a pre-veterinary student as an interpreter within a Spanish resources committee for a one health clinic.

Aside
I received a lot of discouragement and now I get to be on my way to becoming the first doctor in my family! I am so happy, grateful, and humbled to be a part of the class of 2027. We are going to be veterinarians!

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
I debated posting this, since I’ve never actually posted here before, but I used this forum extensively for reference while applying and I’m hoping my story might encourage others who took the hard way to here, like I did.

29 (will be 30 in a few weeks), non binary, Washington state, non-traditional (gap decade), first time applicant.

Applied, interviewed, accepted, attending:
WSU

Overall GPA:
Last 45 GPA:

Degree(s):
Associates completed 2012 in Sociology + French
B.A. completed 2014 in Sociology + Ecology

Veterinary Experience:

At time of submission:
140 hours volunteer assistant in wildlife and exotics ward of our VTH (since submitting, I went from volunteer to paid assistant)
30 hours shadowing/assisting the vet at a raptor breeding program I used to work at

Animal Experience:
10,000+ hours (some employed, some volunteer) in falconry, wildlife rehab, raptor training and captive propagation, ranch work, raising + training hunting dogs, horse sitting, and goat/sheep/cattle care on a series of small farms.

I grew up rural and have been around animals my whole life, so I did my best to parcel out those experiences in a meaningful manner without over-reporting personal animal time. I didn’t count “pet time” on my app aside from a very barebones estimate of the work that went into planning and raising my last litter of English Pointers. I think I put that entry at about 60 hours. The only other arguably personal animal time I reported was my eight years as a licensed falconer, which I reported at ~2000 hours.

Extracurriculars/Awards/Hobbies:
300 hrs as officer in student Raptor Club
WSU President’s Honor Roll, Fall 2021
Eight years of homesteading, hide tanning, animal processing, farming, and other sustainability skills
15 years of writing and performing poetry
A decade of competitive swimming in middle and high school, which led to employment as a swim coach in my first round of college
Years of mixed media craft: leatherwork, fiber arts, handmade clothing, etc

Non-Animal Employment:
Three seasons as a farm worker on organic vegetable farm
Six years in butcher and slaughter work
60 hrs curricular design work for local tribal school (traditional skills)
Five years teaching at traditional skills gatherings (hide tanning, animal processing, leatherwork)
Three years as sole proprietor of a small business selling my leatherwork
1 year of swim coaching as an undergrad

On the VMCAS I did my best to approximate hours for all my experiences, but those numbers were guesses at best. I used the description fields extensively and in a narrative manner, to talk about the interdisciplinary nature of the work I’ve been doing the last decade; many of these experiences overlap heavily.

LORs:
Exotics vet + licensed falconer; I volunteered (and am now employed) in her department of the teaching hospital here
Local physician (MD); I help out with her farm + family
Professor in ecology from WSU’s environmental science dept

I have led a very unusual life and took the scenic route to where I am now, with a lot of hurdles along the way. Raptors and wildlife have always been my driving passion, so I used the body of my main personal statement to tell my story by following that thread through my youth, my time being homeless in my teens and twenties, and the events that led to my decision to become a vet three years ago. I had several supplemental essays to write for WSU and because I only applied to one school, I could use them to form a cohesive narrative without overloading each individual prompt. I talked about the struggles I had in undergrad as a result of housing instability and an undiagnosed learning disorder, and how I learned to homestead in my mid-twenties and still live off grid today. I used my journey through homesteading + traditional skills to talk about how my integrity, community values, and work ethic developed as a result of living a physically challenging lifestyle. In 2021 I moved to Pullman to do prereqs at WSU and apply to vet school, and I wrote about the things I’d learned about myself in almost a decade away from school that prepared me for my success in a rigorous curriculum. I’ve been pulling straight As in all the prereqs and loving the material, and I can’t wait to immerse myself in vet school.

I used the explanation statement to talk about some of the things that affected my performance in college the first time: sleeping on the streets between semesters wasn't exactly conducive to good grades, and I tanked a semester when I was 19 with an F, several Cs, and a W. I also talked about more recent events, including the challenge of finding clinics to shadow at until I moved here for school (I was an hour's travel from any vet, much less exotics vets).

PS—when I say non-traditional, I mean it in more than just the educational sense. I grew up rural and working class, did not finish high school, was homeless as a teen, and have never worked outside manual labor and never been paid above minimum wage. I've lived without electricity and running water for most of my 20s. I still do: currently, I live in a canvas tent on a massive wooden platform that I built during my first month back in school. I broke every rule of professionalism in my younger days and some of those things are still with me: I have tattoos on my fingers, hands, and forehead, and multiple facial piercings. I was warned repeatedly by advisors and teachers that I wasn't likely to get in given the nature of my application. I only applied to one school, I had less than 200 hours vet experience, I focused heavily on wildlife, and I talked about “taboo topics” like animal slaughter, radical ecology, and being trans in my essays and my interview. And speaking of the interview, I wore a plum-colored suit that I got from the campus free closet because I couldn't afford anything else (trust me, I got some eyebrows up when I told people what I planned to wear). And I got in! Ten years ago, I was sleeping under bridges and living off of dried fruit—and now I’m going to be the first person in my family history to pursue a doctoral degree.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
I debated posting this, since I’ve never actually posted here before, but I used this forum extensively for reference while applying and I’m hoping my story might encourage others who took the hard way to here, like I did.

29 (will be 30 in a few weeks), non binary, Washington state, non-traditional (gap decade), first time applicant.

Applied, interviewed, accepted, attending: WSU

Overall GPA: 3.63
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.87
Last 45 GPA: 3.96

Degree(s):
Associates completed 2012 in Sociology + French
B.A. completed 2014 in Sociology + Ecology

Veterinary Experience:
At time of submission:
140 hours volunteer assistant in wildlife and exotics ward of our VTH (since submitting, I went from volunteer to paid assistant)
30 hours shadowing/assisting the vet at a raptor breeding program I used to work at

Animal Experience:
10,000+ hours (some employed, some volunteer) in falconry, wildlife rehab, raptor training and captive propagation, ranch work, raising + training hunting dogs, horse sitting, and goat/sheep/cattle care on a series of small farms.

I grew up rural and have been around animals my whole life, so I did my best to parcel out those experiences in a meaningful manner without over-reporting personal animal time. I didn’t count “pet time” on my app aside from a very barebones estimate of the work that went into planning and raising my last litter of English Pointers. I think I put that entry at about 60 hours. The only other arguably personal animal time I reported was my eight years as a licensed falconer, which I reported at ~2000 hours.

Extracurriculars/Awards/Hobbies:
300 hrs as officer in student Raptor Club
WSU President’s Honor Roll, Fall 2021
Eight years of homesteading, hide tanning, animal processing, farming, and other sustainability skills
15 years of writing and performing poetry
A decade of competitive swimming in middle and high school, which led to employment as a swim coach in my first round of college
Years of mixed media craft: leatherwork, fiber arts, handmade clothing, etc

Non-Animal Employment:
Three seasons as a farm worker on organic vegetable farm
Six years in butcher and slaughter work
60 hrs curricular design work for local tribal school (traditional skills)
Five years teaching at traditional skills gatherings (hide tanning, animal processing, leatherwork)
Three years as sole proprietor of a small business selling my leatherwork
1 year of swim coaching as an undergrad

On the VMCAS I did my best to approximate hours for all my experiences, but those numbers were guesses at best. I used the description fields extensively and in a narrative manner, to talk about the interdisciplinary nature of the work I’ve been doing the last decade; many of these experiences overlap heavily.

LORs:
Exotics vet + licensed falconer; I volunteered (and am now employed) in her department of the teaching hospital here
Local physician (MD); I help out with her farm + family
Professor in ecology from WSU’s environmental science dept

I have led a very unusual life and took the scenic route to where I am now, with a lot of hurdles along the way. Raptors and wildlife have always been my driving passion, so I used the body of my main personal statement to tell my story by following that thread through my youth, my time being homeless in my teens and twenties, and the events that led to my decision to become a vet three years ago. I had several supplemental essays to write for WSU and because I only applied to one school, I could use them to form a cohesive narrative without overloading each individual prompt. I talked about the struggles I had in undergrad as a result of housing instability and an undiagnosed learning disorder, and how I learned to homestead in my mid-twenties and still live off grid today. I used my journey through homesteading + traditional skills to talk about how my integrity, community values, and work ethic developed as a result of living a physically challenging lifestyle. In 2021 I moved to Pullman to do prereqs at WSU and apply to vet school, and I wrote about the things I’d learned about myself in almost a decade away from school that prepared me for my success in a rigorous curriculum. I’ve been pulling straight As in all the prereqs and loving the material, and I can’t wait to immerse myself in vet school.

I used the explanation statement to talk about some of the things that affected my performance in college the first time: sleeping on the streets between semesters wasn't exactly conducive to good grades, and I tanked a semester when I was 19 with an F, several Cs, and a W. I also talked about more recent events, including the challenge of finding clinics to shadow at until I moved here for school (I was an hour's travel from any vet, much less exotics vets).

PS—when I say non-traditional, I mean it in more than just the educational sense. I grew up rural and working class, did not finish high school, was homeless as a teen, and have never worked outside manual labor and never been paid above minimum wage. I've lived without electricity and running water for most of my 20s. I still do: currently, I live in a canvas tent on a massive wooden platform that I built during my first month back in school. I broke every rule of professionalism in my younger days and some of those things are still with me: I have tattoos on my fingers, hands, and forehead, and multiple facial piercings. I was warned repeatedly by advisors and teachers that I wasn't likely to get in given the nature of my application. I only applied to one school, I had less than 200 hours vet experience, I focused heavily on wildlife, and I talked about “taboo topics” like animal slaughter, radical ecology, and being trans in my essays and my interview. And speaking of the interview, I wore a plum-colored suit that I got from the campus free closet because I couldn't afford anything else (trust me, I got some eyebrows up when I told people what I planned to wear). And I got in! Ten years ago, I was sleeping under bridges and living off of dried fruit—and now I’m going to be the first person in my family history to pursue a doctoral degree.
okay so youre totally badass... got it. so happy for you! i wish you the best in your future endeavors.

• Love
SOOO Incredibly happy and excited to finally be a successful applicant after years of thinking I wasn't good enough for vetmed!!! Apologies for the super long post, I just have so much to say and no one to share it with!!

Noncompetitive GPA Alert!!

25F (26 by the time I start), NY/NYC (born and raised - never left), Non-Traditional, 2nd time applicant but 3rd time overall for Cornell (my IS)

First Cycle: Applied in 2019 for c/o 2024
Applied: Cornell (IS), Penn, Ohio
Interview Invites: Ohio
Rejected: Cornell, Penn (without interview)
Waitlisted: Ohio (#57 on OOS waitlist, never called off)

Second Cycle: Applied in 2020 for c/o 2025
Applied: Cornell (IS)
Interview Invites: None
Rejected: Cornell
** I felt extremely pressured to apply so soon because I qualified for the free VMCAS application waiver and decided to just try my chances at Cornell again since it's my IS despite not feeling ready at all. I think I scrambled my app together within the last 2w of the deadline.

Third Cycle: Applied in 2022 for c/o 2027
Applied: Cornell (IS), LIU, Penn, Ohio, Tufts
Interview Invites: Ohio, LIU, Tufts (interview waitlist, never called off)
Rejected: Cornell, Tufts, Penn (without interview)
Accepted: Ohio, LIU (pulled off waitlist on 05/10)
Attending: THE Ohio State University!!!

Overall GPA:
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.47

I know I'm not the smartest nor most diligent student. I worked a lot during undergrad that probably impeded my ability to perform at my academic best. I think the most I juggled at once was full time student (as a double major too), two part time jobs, two weekly volunteerings, and a catsitting side gig. It was normal for me to have 50hr+ weeks (60+ if you factor in commute) so it was hard for me to find ample time to study since I was always mentally and physically exhausted.

I also find I excel much more in applied/practiced settings and therefore the majority of my eLORs are from my work experiences rather than classes/professors. I realize now in hindsight that I would've benefitted much more in applying to more holistic schools (like tOSU who only factors in GPA 10%) rather than being stubborn on my IS and other GPA-heavy schools. This may be something to consider if your GPA is on the lower end.

GRE (Q/V/W): 156 (60%) | 155 (68%) | 4.5 (81%)
Only taken during my 1st application cycle (back in 2019) and decided against retaking since the GRE requirement was waived. I still submitted my scores even though they weren't required cause I had them anyway.

Casper: 3rd Quartile
Only required for LIU

Degree(s):
Bachelor's in Biological Sciences & Physiological Psychology (double major) - Obtained Spring 2020
Advanced Certificate of Graduate Study in Animal Behavior & Conservation - Will obtain after Spring 2023

Veterinary Experience: 3320 hours
- Veterinary Receptionist at a private GP/SA practice (320hrs)
- Veterinary Technician at a different private GP/SA practice (3000hrs)

Animal Experience: 2385 hours
- Lab animal technician for the Animal Facility of my undergrad (2000hrs)
- Volunteered at a wildlife rehabilitation center for urban bird wildlife native to NYC (125hrs)
- TNR & Kitten foster (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022): For bottle babies (<2m old) that I cared for and eventually adopted out (a total of 13 cats). Memorable cases involved two kittens with Cerebellar Hypoplasia who were adopted out together, and one senior cat who was FIV/FeLV positive (100hrs total)
- Freelance cat-sitting: Cat sat for 4 different clients (total of 7 different cats), one of which is on oral medication for life (50hrs).
- Animal socializer for the ASPCA: Adoptions Center (50hrs)
- Equine volunteer mucking out stables and assisting in therapeutic horse rides (40hrs)**
- Medical volunteer for an all-volunteer organization specializing in cat adoption (20hrs)
** Explained that my equine hours are severely lacking due to extreme commute time (1.5-2hr one way) since I don't have a car nor driver's license.

Research: 4408 hours
- Research Technician: Full time employment post-undergrad in the department of Neurology and Neurosurgery in a lab that tests the efficiency of a novel method of neurosurgery to safely and non-invasively administer gene therapy to the brain parenchyma in the treatment of Parkinson's Disease. Research uses mouse, rat, and non-human primate models (4160+ hrs also pending three second-authorship papers).
- Research Intern: Volunteered in the same lab above except under a different scientist whose research focused on elucidating the mechanism of pathology behind PD and observing sex-based differences in the pathology onset (240 hrs).
- Microbe Swabber: One-day only volunteer requirement to swab areas of the MTA to document microbes into an online directory (8hrs)

Extracurriculars/Non-Human Employment: 500 hours
- Various LoopAbroad Online courses: Veterinary Spanish, Companion Animal Management, Prosthetic Design in Vetmed+HumMed, Exotics Veterinary Pathology, Zoo Research Fellowship, Suturing Techniques (280hrs total)**
- TA for Statistics in Psychology (60hrs)
- Simulation Intern for a med school involving actors and makeup to simulate real medical cases for med students to practice etiquette and bedside manner (20hrs)
- CITI Program's Basic Course in Human Subjects Research (10hrs)
- CITI Program's Basic Course in Animal Care and Use (10hrs)
- Certified TNR from NYC Feral Cat Initiative (20hrs)
- Ice skating mentor for children for beginner-level skating (60hrs)
- Undergraduate mentor for new, incoming, and struggling students (10hrs)
- Crochetter for an organization to provide handmade blankets for shelter animals (20hrs)
- Crochetter for a church-based organization to provide handmade hats/scarves and care packages for the homeless in the winter (50hrs)
- Panelist: For my high school to share my experiences in college with special interest in aspiring pre-vet students (5hrs)
- Panelist: For my Asian-American Studies class in undergrad to share my experience as a first-gen/low-income AA student (5hrs)
**I was only able to afford these LoopAbroad classes due to my work's tuition-reimbursement program. Without this benefit, these classes would've been impossible for me to afford. It also paid for my Ad. Cert. post-bacc program.

Awards:
- Merit based scholarship awarded upon admission to my undergrad
- Merit and financial aid based scholarship from NYC
- Financial aid based scholarship from NYC
- Distinction in Psychology; graduation honors awarded to those who achieved a 3.9 GPA or higher within the department of Psychology
- Dean's List: Achieved 6x during undergrad
- Publication1: Second authorship: Delivery of oncolytic viruses using novel technology to decrease tumor size in rat models (manuscript stage)
- Publication2: Second authorship: Most effective route of administration for gene therapies in rat models (manuscript stage)
- Publication3: Second authorship: Delivery of gene therapy via intracisternal injection in non-human primates (manuscript stage)

eLORs:
- DVM; Vet and owner of a private GP/SA practice with whom I had considerable work experience (>3000 hrs)
- VMD; Lead Vet and Director of my undergrad's Animal Facility (>2000 hrs)
- PhD; Professor whose course I excelled in (Experimental Psychology - Writing Intensive)
- MD/PhD; Neurosurgeon and PI whose lab I volunteered in for 6m and then full time in for almost 3y
- MD; Neuroscientist whose research I tech for. I worked with her very extensively over the last 3y (>4000 hrs)
- BS; Assistant Director of my undergrad's Animal Facility who also served as the Lab Manager for the Animal Facility

I wrote about my struggle in pursuing vetmed. I'm a first gen applicant whose parents didn't have any formal education passed the elementary level and also grew up below the poverty line (didn't mention this on my app, just the first gen part). They grew up in a rural area on a very small farm but "escaped" that life when they immigrated to the US. Growing up, they drilled it into me that a life working with animals is blue collar work, and how they left their home so that I could pursue better career opportunities that they couldn't have. So I believed the same. I outright REFUSED to even consider vetmed as an option. All my peers kept recommending vetmed for me but I kept having to repeat the same speech I'd rehearsed over and over again as to why I didn't want to become a vet. It wasn't until I entered college that I realized I couldn't let my parents' regressive/traditionalist beliefs dictate what I wanted to do with my own life anymore. That moment was also the moment I realized why I absolutely hated making that speech; I was lying to myself without even realizing it. And so I abandoned hum-med and began my prevet journey. To this day, my parents still don't know about my plans on becoming a vet. And while it has been quite lonely (especially not being able to share my acceptance with them), it has all been completely worth it as I've never been so sure of myself as the moment I dedicated myself to vetmed.

I also gave an anecdote from each and every one of my major experiences (vet tech, lab animal tech, research tech) that progressively lead me to the path that I found fits me and my interests best; neuroscience, research, and teaching. As a vet tech, I wanted to learn more about the lab animals used in research since most of the papers that the vet shared with me involved rodent models. That led me to lab animal medicine and my time as a LAT for mice, rats, and zebrafinches. However, I found out that while this work was extremely rewarding, something was still missing. I wanted to learn more about what is the mechanism of action, why these things were being done on the mice, how can these findings be applied elsewhere (especially in vetmed), etc. So I redirected and began working as a research tech in the field I'm most interested in (neuroscience). I also mentioned how I had the pleasure of taking on a mentor/teaching role in each of the three experiences, all of which only strengthened my desire to not only be a veterinary neuroscientist but also a veterinary mentor/teacher as well.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 21F from Hawaii, traditional applicant and first time applying

Applied:
Oregon State, CSU, WSU, Midwestern, MSU, NCSU and Purdue (current student Boiler Up!)
Interview Invites:
Midwestern and Purdue
Waiting to hear:
Purdue
Rejected
: MSU and NCSU
Accepted: CSU, OSU, WSU and Midwestern (also one of the WICHE recipients for Hawaii, if any other Hawaii WICHE recipients see this lmk!)
Attending:
Undecided but heavily leaning towards OSU, maybe Purdue if I get good financial aid

Overall GPA:
Last 45 GPA:
as of Fall 2022, 4.0

GRE (Q/V/W):
chickened out and did not take lol
(If applicable)

Degree(s): B.S. Animal Sciences concentration in Biosciences (Spring 2023(

Veterinary Experience:
somewhere between 1000-2000 hours, been working with the same vet clinic since December 2018
Experience - (hrs)

Animal Experience: 200 hours or so, we have a research farm at Purdue and students can take classes/join clubs that allows you to go to the farm to work hands on with them
Experience - (hrs)

Research: 100-150, working in a poultry lab since Fall 2021
Experience - (hrs)

Extracurriculars/Awards: Honors College and Dean's Scholar Agriculture Peer mentor, Hawaiian Culture Club, Block and Bridle, Teaching assistant for a study away to Hawaii (yes you read that right)
Experience - (hrs)

Non-Animal Employment: 50-70, worked part time at a high school over the summers just doing menial jobs
Experience - (hrs)

LORs: 2 veterinarians, 2 professors and 2 advisors (one was the career advisor and one was my academic advisor)

Honestly I really didn't know what kind of job I wanted to work when I was younger. Most of the things I thought of (teacher, firefighter, etc) all revolved around helping people. I also grew up doing a lot of volunteering and from that I knew I wanted to work a job where I could make a positive impact on the world. In high school, one of those volunteer jobs was at the Humane society and getting to see how happy the pets and people are because of the work the humane society does, I knew I wanted to enter a field where I could help animals and people. I found a volunteer position at a veterinary clinic, fell in love and decided that I wanted to become a veterinarian. I want to point out that this was not something I have been dreaming of since a child, it is okay if you come to find later in life your ambitions.

For the rest of my statement, I highlighted different experiences I had (vet, animal and leadership) and basically I summarized it saying what I did, what I learned from the experience and why it fuels my passion to become a vet/prepared me to become a veterinary school student.

I am so happy that I was accepted in the first cycle and I hope everyone here is proud of themselves. Screw the imposter syndrome stuff, you put in the hours and with things like this, nobody every "gets lucky". Hard work, commitment and your efforts allowed you to make a post on this page so make sure to give yourself a pat on the back!

• Love
21, female, Illinois, non-traditional in the sense that I am graduating a year early from undergrad, first time applying

Applied:
Illinois, Mizzou, Wisconsin, Cornell, Penn, Ohio State
Interview Invites:
Illinois, Mizzou
Waiting to hear:
Illinois, Mizzou, Penn
Accepted:
Cornell and Wisconsin
Attending:
Unsure right now! Hopefully my in-state (Illinois)

Overall GPA:
Last 45 GPA:

GRE (Q/V/W):
Didn't take!

Degree(s): BS in Animal Science

Veterinary Experience:

• General practice shadowing- ~80 hours (cut short due to COVID)
  • ER shadowing and assistant- ~470 hours
  • Clinical pathology shadowing- 45 hours
  • Anatomic/zoological shadowing- 10 hours
  • Zoo medicine shadowing- 20 hours
  • Large animal shadowing- 16 hours
  • Small animal oncology shadowing- 5 hours

Animal Experience:
  • Volunteer at a cat rescue- 11 hours
  • Worked with large animals in classes- 24 hours
  • Animal care intern at a humane society- 50 hours
  • Wildlife rehabilitation center- 36 hours
  • Volunteer at a cat and dog shelter- 152 hours
  • Pet-sitter- 80 hours

Research:
  • Reproductive health and toxicology lab- 160 hours
  • Part-time help in a pathobiology lab- 22 hours
  • Helped sort samples for a pangolin research project at my local zoo- 7 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
  • Several scholarships and department-specific awards in college
  • Magna Cum Laude in high school
  • Illinois State Seal of Biliteracy in Spanish
  • National Honor Society in high school
  • Volleyball MVP
  • National Spanish Exam Award winner (gold & silver)
  • Dean's List in both high school and college
  • AP Scholar
  • Illinois State Scholar
  • National Honor Society
  • National Spanish Honor Society
  • Coached brother's middle school volleyball team for several years
  • Was a school ambassador in high school
  • Played volleyball (school and club) for a few years
  • Was a member of a service dog training club in college
  • Was a member of my college's Pre-Vet Club and also served on the executive board these past two years

Non-Animal Employment:
  • Babysat all throughout high school- ~800 hours
  • Helped keep score at middle school volleyball games- ~30 hours

LORs:
  • Clinical pathologist (vet)
  • Professor/lab PI
  • Lab mentor
  • Advisor

I wrote about my interest in pathology (especially clinical pathology). I made a connection between me being exposed to a specialty completely foreign to me (as I haven't learned about any of the diseases/cellular abnormalities yet) and the fact that in vet med, you are a forever student because the field is constantly advancing; therefore, there are many different opportunities to continue to learn.

• Love
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 29, F, CA resident, VERY non-traditional applicant, 1st time applying

*When I say non-traditional, I had never really taken a science class until starting my post-bac program in 2020. I’d thought about a veterinary career in the past, but felt way too intimidated by the intensity of the pre-med culture at my undergrad school. I really hope this will help inspire someone who is on the fence about changing careers to go for it. I was very prepared to apply more than once, and applied to so many schools because I really did not have a good idea of what my chances were. I was worried my GPA wasn’t perfect and I didn’t have an extensive hard science background. I do think that being “older”/non-traditional helped my application stand out and gave me some interesting directions to go with supplemental essays/interviews/etc. So for anyone who did not get the news they were hoping for, please see this as an opportunity to gain more life experiences that will only help you in future cycles! KEEP GOING! If you know this is right for you, you WILL be a veterinarian. While it’s hard to think sometimes, “dang, I could have already been practicing by now,” I wouldn’t go back and do this any other way. I know my circuitous path to where I am will make me a better veterinarian. Thanks for coming to my TED talk!!

**Additional side note: I considered applying for the c/o 2026, but I'm actually so glad I waited because I got another 1,000ish hours of veterinary experience and didn't have to rush through my post-bac classes.

***Last side note! I realized after submitting my applications that I really wanted to be somewhere with a teaching hospital. After I got my first acceptance (RVC) I withdrew my applications from Arizona and Western. It would have saved $$ to come to this realization BEFORE submitting apps.

Applied: Davis, Cornell, CSU, Edinburgh, Ohio State, Oregon State, Penn, RVC , Tufts, U of Florida, UGA, WSU, U of Arizona (withdrew application), WesternU (withdrew application)
Interview Invites: Davis, Edinburgh (declined invite), Penn, RVC, Tufts, Ohio State, U of Florida (interview waitlist–did not get called)
Accepted: Davis, Cornell, Tufts, Penn, CSU, Ohio State, Oregon State, RVC, UGA
Rejected: UF, WSU
Attending: [update!] Cornell!! I was very torn between Davis and Cornell but ultimately chose the option that would put me closest to my support system. I had a sort of odd situation where I’m a California resident with no family actually in California.

Overall GPA: ~3.8
Science Prerequisite GPA: ~3.7 (varies by school-this was my VMCAS science GPA)
^ you can be successful without a perfect GPA! (I was a social science major and almost had a 4.0 in my master's which kept my overall GPA high, but some of my science pre-reqs were really challenging! I had to learn a completely different way of studying when I started my post-bac).

GRE (Q/V/W) (If applicable): This won’t be applicable to any future applicants (thank god!), but my quant score was pretty average (around 50th percentile). My verbal/writing scores were great but Davis (the only school from this cycle that still wanted GRE scores) only used quant in their initial ranking.

Degree(s): B.A. (political science), master’s in international policy (yup, v non-traditional!) [took some MPH classes during my master's program and was pleasantly surprised to learn VMCAS counts these in your science GPA!], currently finishing a pre-med post-bac

Veterinary Experience:
~2250 total
Vet Assistant at SA GP ~1800 hrs at two different places
Vet Assistant at SA ER/Specialty (some exotics patients now and then) ~450 hours
Equine specialty ~10 hours of shadowing (I do think my lack of LA vet experience was a weakness of my application)

Animal Experience:
~400 total (did not include many, many hours of working on my family’s small farm–talked about this in my essay but in hindsight I probably should have just included it)
Zoo Educational Programs Volunteer: ~285 hrs
Wildlife Rehab Volunteer: ~75 hrs
Animal-Assisted Therapy Dog Training ~30 hrs

Research:
~800 hrs
- This included QUITE a bit of social science research work, which I was encouraged to include. The purpose of having research hours is to show that you understand what the research process entails, and that process, generally speaking, is similar across disciplines. I had about ~50 hrs of vet med-related research on a giraffe/okapi genomics project (fewer hours than I had hoped because the project got kind of stalled in the IRB approval process).

Extracurriculars/Awards:
- Volunteered as an ESOL teacher in college and had a lot of music experiences
- I listed RECOVER and Fear Free certifications under the “awards” section of VMCAS
- I had a full tuition merit scholarship for my master’s program (which I’m very thankful for now that I’m pursuing another degree!)

Non-Animal Employment:
Too many to count (lol)
~6,000 hrs as an editor
~80 hrs as a TA for statistics during grad school
A few hundred hours in other policy positions/internships that didn’t fall under research

LORs:
- DVM I worked very closely with for ~1 yr in a GP (people told me get your DVM letter from a specialist. I hadn't worked in specialty all that long at the time of application so I chose to prioritize the DVM with whom I had the strongest relationship. I knew she could speak to my growth over the time she'd worked with me). More "impressive" person doesn't always = more impressive letter!
- Professor from an MPH class I took as a grad student
- Professor who supervised my master’s research (which was one health related)
- PI on the giraffe/okapi research I worked on (who is an MD)

*Another side note: I ended up with four because I wanted to have a cushion JUST IN CASE one didn’t get submitted in time. I don’t think it is necessary to have more than the minimum! In hindsight I would have asked for them to be submitted Sept. 1 (rather than 15th) so I wouldn’t have had to stress about this, and I would have only done three.

Talked about my non-traditional pathway to a career in veterinary medicine and how I hoped to use the skills I’d gained in my previous career to be a better veterinarian through a couple of examples. Talked about my interest in One Health and how my policy/social science experience helped me see the people side of One Health and how I would apply this understanding to clinical practice. My big piece of advice is if you have 3,000 characters (~450 words or so) MAKE EVERY WORD COUNT. Don’t waste any space. Ask yourself if EVERY SINGLE WORD is 100% necessary to get your point across.

I think my essay/supplemental answers were very strong and probably helped my application overall. I’m looking into how I might create some resources for fellow non-traditional (or traditional!) applicants as I know the essays can be really daunting. I personally love to write, so I found it fun to get to tell strangers why I’m so passionate about this career path and where I see myself in it. My brain is currently fried trying to come to a decision, but once I do I will have more time/energy to devote to this.

Last edited:
I found a volunteer position at a veterinary clinic, fell in love and decided that I wanted to become a veterinarian. I want to point out that this was not something I have been dreaming of since a child, it is okay if you come to find later in life your ambitions.
THIS IS IMPORTANT. I came to it in a similar way, @avidnapper33. I often questioned if I belonged in this field because I wasn't one of those people who knew since before they were born that they were going to be a veterinarian (good for you if you did! I sometimes wish things had been that straightforward for me.) But going through stuff and figuring it out as you go is still valid! You still belong here!

22, Female, AL Resident, Traditional Student, First Time Applicant

Applied: Auburn, Mississippi State
Interview Invites: Auburn (Interviewed -&gt; Rejected), Mississippi State (Interviewed -&gt; Accepted)
Accepted: Mississippi State
Attending: Mississippi State!

Overall GPA: 3.51
Science Pre-Req GPA: 3.38
Last 45 GPA: ? Somewhere around a 3.6, I would presume.

GRE: Not Taken

Degree(s): B.S. in Animal and Dairy Science from Mississippi State (May 2023)

Veterinary Experience: ~ 675 hours at time of application (primarily small animal, some mixed animal and exotics)

Animal Experience: &gt; 3000 hours small animal; ~ 700 hours equine; ~ 75 hours large animal; ~ 50 hours wildlife

Research: ~ 150 hours honeybee nutrition research

Extracurriculars/Awards:
- Founder and President of Campus Service Dog Club
- Volunteer Puppy Raiser for Service/Guide Dogs
- Kennel Club / Dog Sports (Obedience Instructor, Competitor, etc etc)
- Equine Assisted Therapy Volunteer
- Horseback Riding Lessons (Hunter/Jumper)
- Assistant Head Wrangler for summer camp (across two summers)
- Young Life College Leader
- College of Ag and Life Sciences Ambassador
- Sorority Director of Service and Philanthropy (Sophomore Year)
- Student Association (Freshman Year)

Non-Animal Employment:
- Information Assistant for Campus Housing
- Camp Counselor/Support Staff roles at summer camp (across two summers)

LORs:
- Small Animal GP Veterinarian
- Undergraduate Coordinator for Animal Sciences at my University (who served as my advisor, as well as instructor for several courses)
- Tenured Psychology Professor

I focused on my unique interests and experiences in working and sporting dogs, and how I would like to bring that focus into my veterinary career.

Last edited:
22, Female, Indiana resident, traditional first-time applicant

Applied: Purdue (IS), Oregon, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan State, Iowa, LSU, Kansas State
Interview Invites: Purdue, Illinois, Kansas State
Rejected: Colorado, Oregon, MSU
Waitlisted: Purdue, Kansas State, LSU (don't do interviews), Iowa (don't do interviews)
Accepted: Illinois!!!!
Attending: Illinois as of now, Purdue if I get off their waitlist, and between Illinois and Kansas if I get off theirs!

Overall GPA: 3.8
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.89 (at least at Iowa, I know this is lower for Purdue specifically, thanks microbio)
Last 45 GPA: 3.72

Degree(s): Graduating spring with a bachelor of science in biology, minor in chemistry, and certificate of entrepreneurship

Veterinary Experience:
Experience - ~900 (hrs)
~650 veterinary assistant at a private small animal practice
~90 extern at an equine hospital
~16 shadowing surgery at a small animal practice
~8 shadowing post-operative horses at Purdue's equine hospital
~150 shadowing at a small animal hospital in high school
~40 hours as a volunteer assisting in the cardiology department at Purdue's hospital

Animal Experience:
Experience - ~500 hours
~400 volunteering at a therapeutic riding center
~70 in high school in an animal lab with exotics
~10 volunteering at a shelter

Did a lot of pet-sitting but personally did not include this on my application

Research:
Experience - 90 (hr)

Reproductive research for two semesters, selecting and developing pig oocytes from ovarian follicles.

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience - (hrs)
~5000 Competitive dancer at both a studio and high school dance team (where I was a captain) my entire high school career
~500 hours as the VP of new member education of my sorority + member hours
~15 hours doing intramural sports
~800 hours weightlifting
- Dean's list all four years and a couple of scholarships

Non-Animal Employment:
~3000 hours as an associate at Panera Bread (where I became a trainer, then team lead), worked there for almost 6 years at the time of my application
~400 hours as a nanny

LORs:
Two veterinarians from the practice I currently work at, one from my research professor, one from the Chapter Director of my sorority

Looking back now, I should have included a letter from my GM at p\Panera, as he's known me for 6 years. I messed up on that one for sure.

- started off talking about how working at the therapeutic riding center gave me a new perspective and was both difficult and rewarding, leading me to have an interest in equine
-then talked about having to euthanize a mare at the equine externship even though we tried everything for over a week and how this was difficult yet inspiring
-talked about how recognition of being a leader has shaped my love for vet med, talking about my strengths as a leader in research, at panera, on the dance team, and in my sorority have shaped who i am

Last edited:
  • Care
Did NOT think I would be posting in this thread but here we go!
21, F, TX resident, traditional 1st time applicant

Applied: A&M, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Arizona, Tennessee, Colorado, tOSU, RVC
Interview Invites: RVC and waitlisted at Kstate and Arizona
Accepted: RVC!
Attending: RVC

Overall GPA: 3.3
Science Prerequisite GPA: TMDSAS calculated it to be a 3.2
Last 45 GPA: 3.4
Note: I retook two science courses because I thought I could do better in them and I ended up making a better grade in both. Still have a couple C+'s on my transcript but my advisor said she wouldn't even bother retaking one as the professor is so hard and is the same every semester. I wish I would've done better my freshman year but didn't realize how important it was, academically, and put myself in a bad position GPA wise because of it.

GRE (Q/V/W): Didn't take
CaspER: 4th quartile

Degree(s): graduating in may with my B.S in Biology with a minor in environmental studies on a Pre-Vet track

Veterinary Experience:
Experience - (hrs)
-Volunteered at a small animal clinic in HS learning the basics then applied for a paid position after ~100hrs
-Stayed at that small animal clinic as a veterinary assistant ~ 1020hrs
- Veterinary Assistant at small animal clinic in college town ~360hrs
Pretty much no large animal clinical experiences in my hometown or college town and that goes for exotics. I saw some avian species but tried to get my variety in animal experience!

Animal Experience:
Experience - (hrs)
- Animal Defense League foster in HS ~ 700hrs
- Sidewalker and Barn Assistant at Therapeutic Horseback Riding Center ~100hrs
- Summer Intern at a Primate Sanctuary (SO COOL)included primates and avian animals ~ 300hrs

Research:
Worked on investigating the cardiac output in bats at different life stages. Done with the help of digitized microCT scans of the bats, and studied through computers. Used a software to study the CT scans of the hearts, identify the major vessels and surrounding organs and retract data such as linear measurements of the Aorta, also segmented the lung volume.
Currently, I'm creating 3D models of hyoids in various bat species to assist in analyzing the morphology of hyoids using shape data- name will be published in the paper!
Experience ~400

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Experience - (hrs)
- OOS academic scholarship from my college
- President of my schools Pre-Vet club
-Treasurer of the mental health club
-Orientation and freshman welcoming leader for 2 years
-Co taught a freshman success class for 2 years
-Buddy to International students for 1yr
- Involved in a couple academic honor societies
-TA for comparative anatomy
-Dance team member in HS (completely forgot to list UGH!)
More extracurriculars of HS stuff that I forgot put in my VMCAS so I won't add here-

Non-Animal Employment:
Experience - (hrs)
Most of my jobs were at clinics so I haven't held many jobs outside vet med besides the occasional babysitting!
-Wedding hostess at a small venue PRN ~50hrs
-Hostess at a sports bar in HS ~ didn't list bc I completely forgot lol

LORs:
1- Director of a primate sanctuary I interned at
2- Research professor who I was also a TA for in his comparative anatomy class
3- Veterinarian I worked with for 6mo

This took me probably a good 6mo to write and I had 3-4 people read it that I knew wouldn't hold back criticism.
-Discussed that there was no defining moment where I realized I wanted to be a vet, but that sometimes our purposes come to us in times/places when we least expect it and that thats what makes life beautiful (sappy I know). I then talked about how I had a variety of different passions as a kid (which kind of came together in a way?) until I started volunteering which then led me on an adventure to working w all diff kinds of animals.
-I used my body paragraphs to discuss the experiences that held the most meaning to me, so my job at my first clinic and my summer at the nations oldest primate sanctuary.
- Briefly included the effect COVID had on me and the industry as well because working through it as an 18y/o was crazy to witness and kind of made me realize I wouldn't be satisfied in a clinical setting for the rest of my career.
-Ended it by saying that veterinary medicine has always brought a sense of meaning to my life and why and how it allows people to achieve many goals in one profession without trying to sound cliche lol

Last edited:
22, female, Virginia, Traditional, 1st time applicant

Applied:
Virginia-Maryland, Arizona, Auburn, Cornell, CSU, Tufts, UPenn
Interview Invites:
Arizona, Auburn, Tufts
Waiting to hear:
Arizona
Accepted:
Tufts
Attending:
Tufts!

Overall GPA: 3.75
Last 45 GPA: 3.95

GRE (Q/V/W):
x (%) / y (%) / z (%)
(If applicable) didn't take :)

Degree(s): Graduating this spring with a B.S. in Animal and Poultry Sciences and a B.S. in Biochemistry

Veterinary Experience:

classes taught by professors (mainly large animal): 300 hours
shadowing an equine vet: 150 hours
SA clinic (ER, GP, ortho, rehab, dentistry): 900ish hours
shadowing SA medical oncologist: 45 hours

Animal Experience:
worked as a dog bather at a local grooming shop: 1200 hours
Ran a small dog sitting business: 400 hours
Horse handling for research: 400 hours
Lab animal care and management: 100 hours

Research:
Independent Science Research Project in High School: 350 hours
Equine Exercise Physiology at my current school: 400 hours
Equine Reproduction: 100 hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Volunteer YoungLife leader
Pre-vet club (officer for two years)
Relay for Life Captain
Several intramural sports

Non-Animal Employment:
Basketball Ref
Coat check person

LORs:
Vet at SA clinic I worked with a lot for rehab
Vet at SA clinic that mainly did GP and surgery
PhD student I worked under for two years
Professor I was a TA for
Professor I was a TA for

I focused mainly on how I my learning disability limited me in school, but somehow seemed to excel in STEM related fields. From there, I talked about how my senior year research project made me realize that the most advancements in medicine happen in animals prior to people. Related that to the human-animal bond and how being apart of research in veterinary medicine would help both human and animals since I would be treating the animals directly, but every animal is connected to a person and therefore helping them and how advancements in animal medicine can directly translate to human medicine. I ended it with a story about a euthanasia I was able to talk the owners through and how I can use my empathetic personality to comfort those in need.

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 21, F, GA (But not "from" GA - military kid), Traditional, First time applicant

Applied: Georgia, Minnesota, Tufts, Cornell (waitlisted), Tennessee (rejected), Lincoln Memorial (Accepted for Spring, declined), Illinois
Interview Invites: Minnesota, Tufts, Illinois, Lincoln Memorial
Waiting to hear:
Accepted:
Minnesota, Tufts, Georgia, Illinois, Lincoln Memorial (Fall)
Attending: Minnesota! (Ski U Mah! Go Gophers!)

Overall GPA: 3.83
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.77
Last 45 GPA: ~3.8

GRE (Q/V/W): 158 (61%), 164 (94%), 5.0 (91%)

Degree(s): B.S. in Wildlife Biology; Minors in Wildlife Handling and Environmental Science (Degree in progress) - summa cum laude

Veterinary Experience:
630 hrs (at time of application) as a small animal and exotics emergency/primary care tech assistant
126 hrs (at time of application) shadowing wildlife rehab vets
20 hrs working at a free clinic for low-income families
660 hrs as a small animal general practice assistant
20 hrs shadowing an Army vet

Animal Experience:
240 hrs at my first wildlife rehab internship
322 hrs at my second wildlife rehab internship
25 hrs helping collect samples from hunter-harvested deer for CWD testing

Research:
I estimated 450 hrs on my application, but this was probably a low estimate looking back. I am currently working on my second of two studies I have worked on in undergrad. I had a research scholarship, so I got involved in research right away. This was a major point in my interviews. All of my research is wildlife biology-focused (birds specifically).

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Honors program ambassador
Birding guide
Honors mentee, later mentor
Dean’s list every semester

Non-Animal Employment:
Natural History Museum interpretive guide

LORs:
Small animal general practice vet who I worked with at my first clinic job
Wildlife rehab vet who I interned with and continue to shadow
Floor supervisor for my emergency tech assistant job
Wildlife rehab vet who I studied abroad with
Professor who I studied abroad with
Professor who has been my research advisor for all of undergrad

I wrote about how I had not even considered a career in veterinary medicine until my first wildlife rehab internship. I was working towards becoming a wildlife biologist/manager prior to this internship. I ended up loving the medicine aspect, and the rest is history! I also focused on my love for avian medicine, which I discovered while rehabbing songbirds. I made sure to use very specific examples/anecdotes, and I ended with clear goals for my future career.

Additional notes: If there are any other military kids out there reading this who have GI Bill funding, check with the schools you are applying to because you might be eligible for IS tuition at OOS schools! This has really changed the game for me. Anyone who has questions about it is free to send me a message!

Last edited:
  • Love
Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 26, cis woman, WA, officially traditional although note my age, first cycle

Applied: Cornell, Tufts, UPenn, Midwestern, U of A, Colorado
Interview Invites: Tufts, UPenn, Midwestern
Accepted: Tufts, UPenn, Midwestern
Attending: unsure, help me decide between Midwestern and Tufts

Overall GPA: 3.63
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.72
Last 45 GPA: 3.85

GRE (Q/V/W): Didn't take

Degree(s): B.S Biology

Veterinary Experience:

10,000+ hours (7 years) as a vet assistant and various GP and ER practices including corporate and private practice, small animal, occasional pocket pets and exotics

Animal Experience:

I didn't put anything here since I had so much vet experience

Research:

None
Extracurriculars/Awards:
Deans list x 5 semesters, Merit based Scholarships

Non-Animal Employment:

Various retail, restaurant, hospitality during high school

LORs:
Title of recommender

3 veterinarians
Professor of physics- wrote a GLOWING recommendation I think this helped a lot
Pre-med advisor

The theme of my essay was confidence. I wrote about how even though I dreamed of being a vet I felt that I wasn't capable and I settled for less. I briefly described some hardships and then explained how entering the world of vet med as an assistant allowed me to develop a confidence I never thought possible. I talked about how I was inspired to pursue my dream by the people around me . I touched on my love for client education and what I've learned over the years. I demonstrated my understanding of the hard parts of the job and hardships for veterinarians. I described the type of vet I want to be (communicative, humble, encouraging) for myself, my community, and my colleagues.

For anyone reading this to apply next year: I was told my essay was a BIG factor for my acceptances. I spent weeks working on it and went through ten drafts, having people critique me sometimes harshly. The effort you put into your essay will show, let it be in a good way!

Wanted to share my stats as another very non-traditional student with limited/no science background like @coolprius, @buteoh and a few others here. I didn't go to high school and met my "science" prereqs in undergrad with math/stats classes prior to starting my vet med journey. Other successful applicant threads that I sifted through while getting ready to apply helped bolster my confidence a lot that this type of career change is possible !

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 30yo, female, Oregon resident (but spend majority of last 10 yrs in CA), Non-traditional, 1st time applicant

Applied:
Arizona, Davis, Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon State, Tufts, Washington State
Interview Invites:
Davis, Minnesota, Oregon State, Tufts (declined interview opportunity for Arizona)
Waiting to hear:
waitlisted Oregon State
Rejected: Michigan
Accepted:
Davis, Minnesota, Tufts, Washington State
Attending:
Davis prob

Overall GPA:
Last 45 GPA:

GRE (Q/V/W):
162 (79%) / 165 (96%) / 4.0 (57%)

Degree(s): Bachelor of Arts in Applied Linguistics and French

Veterinary Experience:

Technician assistant at mid-size SA GP hospital - 2000hrs
Vet assistant volunteer for SA community med non-profit - 100hrs

Animal Experience:
Petsitting - 200hrs
Youth Volunteer and Camp Aide at Humane Society - 300hrs
Shelter/Humane Society volunteer as an adult - 200hrs
Wildlife Rehab internship - 250hrs
Zoo Animal Care internship - 250hr
Spay and neuter clinic volunteer - 200hrs
Audubon Society volunteer - 140hrs

Research:
None

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Field survey volunteer for community science research - 50hrs
Direct support volunteer for formerly incarcerated individuals - 80hrs
Vote center volunteer - 20hrs
Dean's List / President's List for misc undergrad terms

Non-Animal Employment:
Blogger - 3000hrs
Editorial intern - 400hrs
Babysitting - 500hrs
Various sales associate positions - 3000hrs
Digital marketing coordinator for multiple brands - 3000hrs
Gallery registrar/assistant director - 4000hrs
Production/product development assistant / clothing designer - 7000hrs

LORs:
Associate veterinarian at SA hospital who I really admired and connected with
Hospital administrator/manager who hired me
Composite letter from post-bacc program director utilizing feedback from 4 different science prereq professors
Biology professor (had to get this second science faculty letter for Tufts)

I did an in media res-style personal statement talking about a high stakes work situation, how I managed the situation and worked with my team to reach a successful outcome for our patients. I talked about how my experiences forming client connections in SA GP and non-profit community med have reinforced my interest in veterinary medicine, and that these experiences showed me how respect for the human/animal bond benefits patient outcomes.

For many of the supplementary essays I drew upon non-trad work background and discussed things like working with people from very diverse cultural, socioeconomic, etc. backgrounds, spearheading new projects, and how I've supported/taught/trained others in my various roles

Age, Gender, State/Country of Residence, Traditional/Non-traditional applicant, # of times you've applied: 22, F, FL, trad, 1st time

Applied: Cornell, CSU, Purdue, UF, UMN
Interview Invites: UF, UMN
Accepted: UMN, UF
Attending: UF

Overall GPA: 3.77
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.78
Last 45 GPA: 3.77

GRE (Q/V/W):
Scored so bad I didn’t bother submitting it anywhere and dropped UGA from my list to apply to because of it

Degree(s): Animal Science B.S. w/ minors in Chemistry and One Health

Veterinary Experience:

Vet Assistant at low income clinic - 800ish hrs

Herd Check Assistant at Dairy - 50 hrs

Animal Experience:

Dairy Worker - 2240 hrs

Summer Conservation Intern @white Oak Conservation - 480 hrs

4-H member/volunteer - 780+ hrs

Assistant Dog Trainer - 3440 hrs

Research:

Into to Research class - 28 hrs

Extracurriculars/Awards:

Alpha Zeta President - 272

Dean’s List

Marthapalooza Committee - 20 hrs

6 different merit scholarships

Non-Animal Employment:

Bakery - 210 hrs

Student Tutor (biology, animal science, organic chemistry) - 280+ hrs

LORs:

Small Animal Veterinarian who I’ve worked with for about 2 years

Peer Tutor Supervisor

Dairy Supervisor

Animal Science Professor who I’m really close to

I wrote about my first encounter with euthanasia and how the empathy and kindness of the vet that euthanized my mom’s heart horse after it broke its neck inspired me to strive to be the kind of vet that cares for the welfare of my patients above all else. I also talked about how much community means to me and how much I want to be able to serve my rural community. I really focused on my experience with working with diverse backgrounds for the supplemental questions through my assistant job at a low-income rural clinic as well as through my tutoring position working with both neurotypical and neurodivergent students.

36, Female, Florida USA, non-Traditional, First attempt

Applied: UF, NC State, Scotland, Edinburgh, Tufts, RVC, UCD Dublin, Penn, Western, Cornell, LIU, Virginia, Louisiana, Tennessee
Interview Invites: UF, Scotland, Edinburgh, RVC, Penn, Western, Virginia, Penn, Tufts
Waiting to hear: Western (waitlisted)
Accepted: LIU, UCD Dublin,
Attending:
Unsure, planning to reapply to UF, NC State, Scotland and Edinburgh for next cycle

Overall GPA: 3.78
Last 45 GPA: 3.7

GRE (Q/V/W):
Did not take

Degree(s): BS Biopharmaceutical

Veterinary Experience:

Experience – Technician at over 6 hospitals – 2000+hrs (over 8 years)

Animal Experience:
Wildlife Rehab – 800hrs
Bird rescue and fostering – 500 hrs
Cat/Dog rescue and fostering - 200hrs
Petshop manager – 1000+ hrs

Research:
Aquarium and marine research – 1000+ hours

Extracurriculars/Awards:
more than I can list
Dean list every semester

Non-Animal Employment:
Animation side jobs - 500+ hrs
Painting and sculpture design - 500+ hrs

LORs:
3 ref letters from veterinarians
2 from teachers
1 from the aquarium director

I wrote mostly about my passions in marine medicine and radiology. Being LGBT+ was another part of discussion, and being disabled came up a few times

Last edited:
LOW GPA ALERT!

I am hesitant to share because I don’t want anyone to think less of me. I messed up during my undergrad and didn’t apply myself the way I am capable of, but I promise I worked my tail off in graduate school and beyond because I was determined to better myself!

But I do think it is important to share this information to show any applicants who are like myself that it is possible to get into vet school with hard work and determination :)

27, F, TX, Non-traditional, 2nd application cycle

Applied: MSU, KSU, Western U, UMN, Cornell, PennVet, UPEI/AVC, LSU, LMU, UofA, VMCVM, SGU
Rejected: UPEI/AVC, LSU, LMU, UofA, VMCVM, Cornell, UMN, PennVet
Interview Invites: KSU, SGU, Western U, MSU
Waitlist: KSU, Western U
Accepted: SGU FTV Program, MSU
Attending: MSU 💚🤍

Overall GPA: 2.81
Science Prerequisite GPA: this was very variable from school to school, but anywhere between 3.0-3.5 depending on what the prereqs were
Last 45 GPA: 3.67

*I had a couple of Ds and an F that really brought this down. The majority of my credits are Bs. I even have a couple of Ws on my transcript.

Degree(s): BS, Cell and Molecular Biology & MS, Poultry Science (thesis program)

Veterinary Experience:

Small Animal GP - 4000+ hours (spread between 3 different clinics)
Poultry Vet - 100+ hours
Shelter Med - ~40 hours

Animal Experience:
Therapuetic Horse Ranch - ~100
Pet sitting
Pet ownership

(honestly don’t really have that much because by the time I started really working on getting hours, I felt it was more valuable to get veterinary hours over exclusively animal)

Research:
Poultry Parasitology - 4000+ (undergrad, gap year, and grad school)
- 2 first authorships, 3 co-authorships
- Co-taught undergraduate/graduate parasitology lab with another GTA

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Relay for Life - Committee Executive - 500+ hours
Social Sorority - Director of Public Relations - 400 hours
Best Poster - International Poultry Scientific Forum
AAAP Avian Bioscience Scholarship Winner

Non-Animal Employment:
Student Worker - College of Liberal Arts - 3600 hours
Taco Truck - 240 hours
Zoetis Reference Labs (but it’s still veterinary adjacent) - 200 hours at the time of application

LORs:
Assistant Professor/Veterinarian - This was my advisor for Grad School. He is a professor dually appointed in the College of Ag and CVM at my alma mater (Auburn). I was his very first student, and I helped him grow our lab to what it is now. He and I have a very good working and personal relationship, he knows me and my goals very very well! He also has first-hand experience seeing my academic growth between undergrad and graduate school so his recommendation is likely my strongest of the three.
2 Associate Veterinarians at one of the small animal GPs I worked at

I wrote about how I didn’t know what I wanted to do when I went to university. I eventually joined a parasitology lab in the Poultry Science department as an undergrad, which inevitably led me to apply to graduate school. I had no animal science experience, but it gave me an opportunity to apply my molecular biology knowledge to a new field. From there, I was introduced to a new industry and fell in love with it and veterinary medicine. I talked about my experiences post-grad school, from working in a small animal GP and taking post-bac classes. My graduate school experience is highlighted a lot in many of my different essays. It was super formative for me as a student and what led me to realize I wanted to pursue veterinary medicine.

Explanation Statement:
I was honest, I talked about how I was unfocused and unmotivated during undergrad due to a multitude of reasons. Both my parents were pretty sick during my undergrad so that influenced some of it. I had also been officially diagnosed with ADHD and did not do well on medications. I struggled because I really didn’t know anything about college or careers, so there was no motivating factor for me, I was a total underachiever. I talked about how these things held me back from reaching my full potential. I wanted to be better for myself but didn’t know how.
Once I had a strong mentor who saw my potential, everything completely changed. My attitude toward learning took a complete 180 and I sought out the help I needed (therapy) to deal with my personal issues. I saw my graduate program as a fresh start and my own personal redemption arc. I was determined to be the best student I could be, learn as much as I could, and make my PI and most importantly, myself, proud!

NOTES and ADVICE:
Last year I was admitted to Ross Vet Prep, but decided not to attend because it was very unrealistic financially (there is no financial aid). It was a hard decision to make because at the time I felt that was going to be my only offer ever. Ultimately, I’m glad I took this extra year to keep working hard toward my goals and to get into a program that is a great fit for me!

Don’t let anyone tell you what you can and can’t do. I never shared my stats with anyone openly because I didn’t want to hear what anyone had to say and feel even more discouraged than I already was. I knew that I could be successful and would be a great candidate, it just would take some extra work! In fact, during one of my interviews, my interviewer told and reassured me that I was a unique and competitive applicant. It’s so hard not to compare yourself to others in this process, but we all have such variable experiences and stories that it’s unfair to yourself to compare. For the schools I received interviews at, I knew plenty of other applicants who did not get to the interview stage and who had much better GPAs than myself. I questioned why I made it while they didn’t. I had to actively remind myself that I have a lot to offer despite having had a rough start to my academic career. Remember, YOU are special and YOU are worthy, regardless of how you think you stack up to others. We all have something special to offer.

You will get there if this is truly your passion and you are determined to make it! Believe in yourself!

It’s not an “if I get in…”, it’s a “when I get in!”

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users
22, F, Washington, Traditional, First time applicant:
Applied: WSU (IS), CSU, Cornell, Arizona, Midwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, UPenn, Tufts, Tennessee, Glasgow, Edinburgh

Rejected: CSU, Cornell, Arizona, Midwestern, Michigan, UPenn, Tennessee (after interview)
Interview Invites: Glasgow, Edinburgh, WSU, Tennessee, Tufts
Waitlisted: WSU, Wisconsin, Tufts, Glasgow
Accepted: University of Edinburgh
Attending: Most likely Edinburgh

Overall GPA: 3.89
Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.88
Last 45 GPA: 3.89

Degree(s): BS in Molecular and Cell Biology, Minor in Chemistry, Minor in Honors Interdisciplinary Studies

Veterinary Experience:

Kennel/Veterinary Assistant at two different clinics - 1600 hours
Mentioned new vet experience during interviews

Animal Experience:
Dog Walker - 360 hours
Pet Sitting - 210 hours (estimated)
Did not include pet ownership

Research:
Fungal Pathogen in Douglas Fir Lab - 135 hours
Arabinogalactan Protein Lab - 96 hours
Used my experience in plant research to stand out, and communicate my joy for research and excitement to explore research in vet med

Extracurriculars/Awards:
Several sports from high school and clubs from college - lots
Vice President of Pre-Vet Club (before pandemic killed the club)
Volunteer work with youth and therapy animals - 65 hours
Honors student and Cum Laude
many others

Non-Animal Employment:
Barista in high school (first job) - 500 hours

LORs:
Two veterinarians that I worked closely with for over a year, research professor from fungal project, and Honors academic advisor

Main personal statement centered around an anecdote of a tough euthanasia that I remember from one of the clinics I worked at. I focused this around realizing the realities of the challenges that veterinary medicine presents, but how ultimately the reward of helping people and animals far outweighed that. Focused my conclusion around my passion for helping and healing people and animals, the passion I've built for this profession, and my desire to make a greater difference as a veterinarian. I struggled with trying to write an personal statement that stood out, since I'm a traditional applicant it was difficult to write something that didn't sound like every other applicant. I wish I had stressed less about this, since ultimately everyone is going to sound similar in some regard.
Many of my other essays for specific schools centered around anecdotes and pulling meaning from those specific experiences. In certain essays I communicated my specific interests in oncology based on experience and interest I had developed while working as an assistant, or in some cases expressing an uncertainty for what I wanted to pursue and a desire to explore many avenues of vet med.
I had multiple people proofread my essays and give me opinions, which made a huge difference.

I CANNOT believe I get to write this!!!! LOW GPA ALERT! I’m non-traditional and have been working with animals (as an employee) since I was 14. I actually posted on the WAMC previously and was told I’d never get in with my stats. My GPA seriously limited my chances, but I still was pulled off of a waitlist. I think my experiences, LORs and essays were extremely strong and what carried my application. As much as everyone told me not to and I didn’t listen (cause who does), the more you compare yourself, the more you doubt yourself. I compared myself to everyone with a 3.5+. Congratulations to everyone that got an acceptance OR waitlisted (because that’s still something to be proud of). Even if you didn’t get in this cycle, YOU WILL!

25Y, F, KY resident, non-traditional, first time applicant

Applied: WSU, Iowa State, Michigan State, UW-Madison, Colorado (DVM/MBA), Oregon State, Minnesota, Kansas

Interview Invites: Michigan State

Waiting to hear: Waitlisted at WSU, CSU, MSU, KSU, ISU

Accepted: Iowa State

Attending: Likely Iowa unless WSU pulls me off

Overall GPA: 💣 2.5 💣 (3.5 for those that recalculate)

Science Prerequisite GPA: 3.7 depending on the school

Overall Science: 2.9

Last 45 GPA: 3.9 (consisted of Biochem, OChems, Biostats, CellBio, along with 10 other science courses)

GRE (Q/V/W): Took CASPER and scored 4th percentile

Degree(s): Bachelors in Business Management

Veterinary Experience:

Experience - 14,000 hrs. About 6000 are shelter medicine, 6000 large animal, 2000 small animal/exotic

Animal Experience:

Experience - 20,000 hours as an Executive Director at an animal shelter. 2,000 hours as a licensed wildlife rehabber. 1,000 pet sitting. 3,000 showing, milking, and raising dairy goats. I also have about 1,000 hours in grant writing

Research:

Experience - 300, but this was after I applied, so none of these schools knew this.

Extracurriculars/Awards:

Experience - Only thing I had was competing nationally with goats and gardening (selling at my farmers market)

Non-Animal Employment:

Experience - None

LORs:

One large animal vet I’ve known for 12 years

One small animal vet

One exotics vet

Biochem professor

Wildlife rehabber mentor

President/CEO of a shelter (former employer)

I talked about my experience in shelter medicine and seeing the changes over the past 10 years. From shelters criticizing owners to us now trying to keep pets in homes was a LARGE part of my essays. I also spoke about grant writing that I do.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users