Summer Research Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) - 2009/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got a call from baylor and was accepted!!! so glad that atleast one of the places i applied to finally came through.
Any of you guys have any thoughts or input on the baylor smart program, it would be really appreciated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
just got a call from baylor and was accepted!!! so glad that atleast one of the places i applied to finally came through although i am waiting on ucsf. really wanted to go to cali.
Any of you guys have any thoughts or input on the baylor smart program, it would be really appreciated. thanks.

Congrats!!!

Baylor sent out their rejections 2 weeks ago.

Anyone heard back from UT-Houston or MD Anderson Cancer Center?

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor sent out their rejections 2 weeks ago.

Anyone heard back from UT-Houston or MD Anderson Cancer Center?

Really? Did they send it by email or mail? I still haven't heard back from Baylor at all...

Baylor probably sent out rejections to some people but they also have a waitlist of people who they are looking to admit once they find funding for them. so if you haven't heard from baylor yet, you might be in that waitlist. i just got off of the waitlist today!

^^^ Baylor sent out rejections I think on March 14th. I am a freshman and I applied to the Baylor SMART program, even though they told me they don't take freshman. hahaa:)

So I applied to 4 programs, and I haven't heard back from 2 of them, so does that mean that I am on the waiting list for those two programs?

So I FINALLY talked to somebody at UCSF and she said they already made their selections and the coordinator sent out all the notices,...............yet I have still received nothing, must be a silent rejection.....

So, I guess it is safe to say that I'm rejected from UCSF...

If you haven't heard from UCSF, you might ask them to send the email again. I didn't get an email the first time they sent them and I asked them to send it again and I got in. Perhaps there is a problem with their email server.

This might be a stretch but...

Is anyone here going to Harvard that isn't going to be living in the dorms on campus?

Since I'm thinking of staying in the lab after the summer program ends, we're not allowed to continue to dorm on campus...(according to my program director). Is anyone here going to be subleasing a apartment near Harvard?

(sorry if this is a bit off topic)

If you haven't heard from UCSF, you might ask them to send the email again. I didn't get an email the first time they sent them and I asked them to send it again and I got in. Perhaps there is a problem with their email server.

eventer31590: what email did you send your question to? I sent mine this tuesday to: [email protected] and I did not get a reply back. I don't understand it! If you rejected me, just let me know for god sakes! I took the time to apply, the least they could do is tell me either a yes or no.

I just received the most ambiguous letter from Baylor. It praised me to no end, but ultimately cited budget cuts and encouraged me to speak directly with their PhD and MD coordinator as well as another lab program, but not their SMART program.

If anyone else received a letter from Baylor,what was the tone?

eventer31590: what email did you send your question to? I sent mine this tuesday to: [email protected] and I did not get a reply back. I don't understand it! If you rejected me, just let me know for god sakes! I took the time to apply, the least they could do is tell me either a yes or no.

I agree, and it also seems they sent out some acceptances/rejections to some, while totally ignoring others................they should have the common courtesy of treating every applicant the same. Even if for some crazy reason I actually were to get into the UCSF srtp I would still have no respect for the coordinator.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on what I've read on this forum, I'm not convinced they've sent any rejections to anyone.

This must be one of the most competitive years ever for these summer programs. People need money in a down economy and there are fewer spots due to a down economy.

I've only applied to places at Wayne State / DMC and haven't heard back from any of them.

OK ppl for everybody wondering about UCSF I finally got to the bottom of it all! I called today and the coordinator said he sent out both acceptances and rejection emails last week. IF you have not received and email or not heard back, it means you are still rejected because they have already filled every spot. The program is officially closed at this point so unless you have an acceptance email you are rejected whether you got an email or not! Hope that helps anybody still wondering about UCSF..........

Did anyone apply for ASM's URF? Have you heard back?

I just got a call from MSKCC today about being taken off the wait list. Unfortunately, they gave me only until tomorrow to decide. I already accepted an offer from ANL, but I'll jump on either bandwagon and choose whichever one that has a stronger research program. They both are great places to be, which makes it a tough decision.

Has anyone participated at either place during previous summers? If so, how was your experience? And what about the research and social atmosphere? How organized was the program?

I was just accepted last week for the SETGO summer research grant. 10 weeks of devoted time to just doing lab experiments and research >=D

Hi all,

I just got accepted to the SIP at the NIH and am sooo excited to go this summer! But I do not know anything about the area or where to live...

Is there housing on the main campus in Bethesda or closeby? How expensive is it? If anyone has participated in this program before, any advice on housing or anything else at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Hi all,

I just got accepted to the SIP at the NIH and am sooo excited to go this summer! But I do not know anything about the area or where to live...

Is there housing on the main campus in Bethesda or closeby? How expensive is it? If anyone has participated in this program before, any advice on housing or anything else at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Ya, great program. The NIH campus in Bethesda is huge (80 something buildings). There's generally two options on where to live. Bethesda is on the Red Line of DC Metro (wmata.com) and just north of DC. Maryland is generally cheaper than within DC city limits, but DC is cool cause it gives you more access to the city. Try looking around Tenleytown (where American Uni is) or the few red line stops north of Medical Center. The closer the better to minimalize transit time. If you park, the parking lot and shuttle is north of Medical Center (away from DC) and if you take metro you have to deal with/consider morning rush hour, so plan accordingly.

Is there anyone else who still hasn't heard from Baylor?

I applied to several programs Mayo SURF, Hopkins SIP, Tufts, Pepperine, North Dakota State, Ohio State, University of Nebraska Lincoln, Eppley Cancer Research Center, and Brown.

I was accepted to the University of Nebraska Lincoln for research involving plant biofuels and offered a nice stipend along with room, board, travel, etc., I turned it down to the acceptance at Eppley. The 'benefits' offered from Eppley aren't as good, but the I feel I would rather do Cancer research.

AGDoc: thanks for the response and email! I finally got all my responses. It felt like it took forever! I agree, I wish I would've known about this blog earlier. I ended up staying with Weill Cornell since I already accepted.

On that note, is anybody else going to Weill Cornell or Columbia for that matter? I've never been to NYC. I'm really excited about it!

Congrats everyone! I have done summer programs at UCSF and Columbia, so let me know if you have any questions about either program or how to document them on your AMCAS! I had incredible experiences at both schools, and they sure helped a lot in my application process this year. I am kind of sad that I only completed 2 of these programs during my undergrad years. Good luck this summer! :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
In case anyone cares for next year: I accepted my spot on 3/3 and heard who my mentor was on 3/31. I was concerned that because it was taking so long they'd had to contact multiple labs and I wasn't going to get into my top choice(s), but I got into my first-choice lab. So, as with all things, be patient and it will probably work out.

I was curious if anyone else on this forum still hasn't heard back from Einstein. I applied fairly early in the cycle (Jan 9) but am still in the dark. If I haven't heard back is that a good indication that I'm rejected? I just want to know what is going on so I can have definitive plans for the summer.

Thanks

Did everyone eventually hear from UCSF? Or, did they just silently reject people?

Silent rejections from UCSD as well.

I'm pretty disappointed with UCSF...I called the director and told him I had not received any word, and he definitely wasn't sympathetic at all. He didn't even offer to check on my application and suggested that I had entered in my email incorrectly! I think he's telling everyone who calls that he sent out rejections, but no one on SDN seems to have received one...

I was accepted to Yale SURF but rejected by University of Maryland. Which strikes me as odd, but I can't really complain. I'm so excited. :)

I was accepted to Yale SURF but rejected by University of Maryland. Which strikes me as odd, but I can't really complain. I'm so excited. :)
Yep don't complain...i got only rejections so far :(

I got lucky with Yale. They hold 2 spots for my school, so my competition pool was *much* smaller.

Figured I would just bring up this thread instead of making a new one for my questions. Basically I was wondering on average how many of these programs did you guys apply to? I'm planning on applying to some next year as my school is a small liberal arts college and offers virtually zero research opportunities. Have a 3.8 cumulative and 3.9 bcpm if it matters. Just trying to get an idea If im even competitive for any of these programs.

Did you contact a possible lab and mentor for your Mallincrodkt application?

Still deciding whether 'no news is good news' regarding UCSF. Thoughts?

Hey,
sorry for the late reply again. No, I did not contact anyone. They only take 6 a year (med students included). I have since then went up with my boyfriends father to meet people at Siteman and Mallincrodkt. They stated they were accepting on a rolling basis. Everyone was already accepted by time I applied (I turn in my app on deadline date- bad I know). Hope you received your summer research of choice! I'm going to Weill Cornell for their Travelers program, nervous and excited!

Follow up:

UCSF SRTP was without a doubt one of my favorite summers ever. For future students.....

Benefits:
1) UCSF takes such good care of you. They pay for your housing, give you a food stipend (San Francisco is an amazing food city), pay for your airfare, plus a very generous stipend.
2) The people, the people, the people. You get to live in a dorm with 60 students from all over the country/world, and we bonded really tight. There is always something to do and someone to hang out with.
3) The research is awesome. It's UCSF, the number two recipient of NIH funding in the country......enough said haha.

Drawbacks:
1) The commute is a huge pain. You have to take a bus and then a shuttle, so it takes ~35-40 minutes to get to/from lab each day.
2) The weather. I had been told San Francisco was cold, but I did not fully grasp this. Weather most days was low to mid 60's, dropping into the 50's at night. I wore shorts maybe three times all summer.

I had very high expectations for my summer in San Francisco, which usually leads to disappointment. However, I can honestly say that this summer easily surpassed all expectations, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. If you get accepted to UCSF SRTP 2011, do it :D

From looking at a bunch of these specific programs, I gather a lot of them are for US students only.

I was wondering if there was any comprehensive list that includes programs available to international students (I'm from Canada).

Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Follow up:

UCSF SRTP was without a doubt one of my favorite summers ever. For future students.....

Benefits:
1) UCSF takes such good care of you. They pay for your housing, give you a food stipend (San Francisco is an amazing food city), pay for your airfare, plus a very generous stipend.
2) The people, the people, the people. You get to live in a dorm with 60 students from all over the country/world, and we bonded really tight. There is always something to do and someone to hang out with.
3) The research is awesome. It's UCSF, the number two recipient of NIH funding in the country......enough said haha.

Drawbacks:
1) The commute is a huge pain. You have to take a bus and then a shuttle, so it takes ~35-40 minutes to get to/from lab each day.
2) The weather. I had been told San Francisco was cold, but I did not fully grasp this. Weather most days was low to mid 60's, dropping into the 50's at night. I wore shorts maybe three times all summer.

I had very high expectations for my summer in San Francisco, which usually leads to disappointment. However, I can honestly say that this summer easily surpassed all expectations, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. If you get accepted to UCSF SRTP 2011, do it :D

Well, I applied! I hope I get in..

I'm applying to the summer 2011 REU program, but should I even bother?
Although i have a GPA of 3.9 I only have one semester of research and plan on doing alot more in the winter before I ask for a lors from my PI.

I'm applying for this upcoming summer to sloan-kettering...do any of you have advice on what makes a competitive applicant? They don't ask for GPA or LORs here...it seems like they base it mostly off of personal statement and resume. I would love any suggestions!

Has anyone been part of the SURF Program of the University of Rochester?
When do they start answering?
What is the minimal GPA's usually? How many students to they admit?

Has anyone heard from about this years selections? Programs I'd like to know about if they're giving out acceptances are

MAYO
Yale BioSTEP
Stanford AMGEN
Mt Sinai
UW AMGEN
CIC - all locations

Only applied to the NIH SIP one. On their website it says they receive ~6000 apps for ~1200 intern spots. I am no longer an undergraduate so something like an REU isn't in the cards:( My backup plan is to beg my PI to let me stay over the summer. The backup plan to the backup plan is to be a bum all summer before med school starts in august

Has anyone heard from about this years selections? Programs I'd like to know about if they're giving out acceptances are

MAYO
Yale BioSTEP
Stanford AMGEN
Mt Sinai
UW AMGEN
CIC - all locations

I am curious as well. Please keep us all updated when you all find out.

I am curious as well. Please keep us all updated when you all find out.
+2!

Also, if you attended one of these programs last summer, does it help out your application? Or do they think you already had your chance and are hesitant to give a spot to someone who already did a summer research program and not to someone new? Good luck everyone! Guess we will all find out in about a month! :luck:

Sounds like I will be getting rejected from NYU SURP since I got no Email. Atleast, I got accepted to RISE at Rutgers.

Sounds like I got rejected from NYU since I got no email. Atleast, I got accepted to Rutgers RISE.