Summer Research Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) - 2009/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For everybody who is still waiting on UCSF, I just spoke with somebody and they told me the coordinator in charge is out of town which is why hes not responding to emails and phone calls. Also, they have sent out all their first round acceptances, and second round acceptances should go out by early next week so there IS still a small chance of getting in. The lady I talked to said due to high volume of applicants, they may very well be doing silent rejections, so if you don't hear by next week I guess its safe to assume you got rejected. Good Luck to everybody still waiting for UCSF!

BTW - this applies to all 4 programs (SRTP, Amgen, Biophysics, REU)

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted to let others waiting for Columbia to know that they are sending acceptance letters still, I just got mine right now, I am sooo excited I could diee!!!!!!!

I already got accepted into Berkeley Amgen a while ago but I applied to a few other programs and haven't heard anything! Aren't their websites a little misleading- most of them say they will contact you by a certain date! That's just annoying.

Members don't see this ad :)
rhinex, just curious, what hhmi surp program did you do?

and stareleven, no idea. it varies every year i bet

Just got accepted into WashU's CD-BioRAP program. Already accepted another program but still awesome!

Denied at UCLA Nanosystems Chemistry and Engineering Research (NanoCER) summer REU program

I see, well thanks for the heads up. I haven't got any letters so I know what to expect now haha. Have fun in rockefeller!! :)

thank you so much!! i do hope it'll be good but we'll see!

Guys what about Mount-Sinai? they said that I am in the waitlist but still nothing from them...

Congrats to the ones who already got acceptances, enjoy your programs!:)
For those who still waiting for the decisions even with a little hope and for those who are not accepted for sure dont loose hope! as Stareleven said there are still plenty of interesting things you can do for the summer! GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!:)

The Amgen Stanford annoyed the hell out of me. I emailed them in the spring break. the autoreply told they will inform students during that week, but I didnt hear anything. then I checked their website now. they say they are sending acceptances on a rolling basis. the students should hear the status by the end of this month.:mad:

Accepted: BCM SMART and Princeton Molecular Biology

Rejected: Harvard Stem Cell Institute

No reply: Stanford Amgen, UCSF Amgen, UW Amgen, and Mayo SURF

Im guessing that I am on the waiting list or silently rejected by the programs that have not replied...

But for the meantime, which is better? BCM SMART or Princeton? :confused:
I need to reply to BCM SMART asap!!!

Denied at UCLA Nanosystems Chemistry and Engineering Research (NanoCER) summer REU program

Sorry to hear...
Has anyone else heard from UCLA NanoCER yet? Haven't gotten a reply either

Im guessing that I am on the waiting list or silently rejected by the programs that have not replied...

Hey Konnichiwa,

I also got accepted to Princeton Mol. Bio. I have been doing some digging on the program....conclusion, it sounds like a great program!:) They also have a wide variety of mentors....

konbanwa

Yes, Princeton is a pretty cool program =D They do have a wide variety of people to work with, and the campus is amazing!
But, it comes down to: what type of research do you want to do? Where do you eventually want to go to med school? What about family/friends/other commitments? Travel reimbursement? What type of campus? What type of weather? ;-P

If you have specific questions about Princeton, I'd be happy to answer them. Don't know anything about Baylor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Konnichiwa,

I also got accepted to Princeton Mol. Bio. I have been doing some digging on the program....conclusion, it sounds like a great program!:) They also have a wide variety of mentors....

konbanwa

O cool! Yea im really considering doing the princeton program.
Yes its going to depend on other factors too but i am most likely gonna be there for the summer.

Are you considering the princeton one or others?

Did anyone apply to the POE (pediatric oncology education) program at St. Jude in Memphis?

Anyone who's applied to Rochester Vision Science Summer Research Program heard anything?

Konnichiwa,

I also applied to Baylor SMART but haven't heard anything from them acceptance or rejection-wise. Did they let you know via email or phone or snailmail?

Konnichiwa,

I also applied to Baylor SMART but haven't heard anything from them acceptance or rejection-wise. Did they let you know via email or phone or snailmail?

O it was both email and snail mail.
i think i heard from them 3/3

Hi Beta,
I know it varies a lot based on who you work for, but I was curious what sort of hours you were expected to work at UCSF last summer. Were you expected to stay well past 5 PM? Were you expected to come in on weekends? Two summers ago I was working like 50 hours a week at a genomics institute, but that was mostly of my own choosing and a lot of the interns probably worked 35-40 hours a week and took really long lunch breaks. Those extra hours usually came from working 7:30-5:30 instead of 9-5, and I rarely came in on weekends. Last summer I stayed at my home institution and was working ~ 60 hours a week including a lot of Saturdays. I've heard that the philosophy is a little more relaxed on the west coast. Any input?

Hi!
I also applied to Rockefeller and haven't heard from them yet. If anyone gets those official e-mails you were talking about please let us know.
Thanks and congrats to those accepted!

Hi Beta,
I know it varies a lot based on who you work for, but I was curious what sort of hours you were expected to work at UCSF last summer. Were you expected to stay well past 5 PM? Were you expected to come in on weekends? Two summers ago I was working like 50 hours a week at a genomics institute, but that was mostly of my own choosing and a lot of the interns probably worked 35-40 hours a week and took really long lunch breaks. Those extra hours usually came from working 7:30-5:30 instead of 9-5, and I rarely came in on weekends. Last summer I stayed at my home institution and was working ~ 60 hours a week including a lot of Saturdays. I've heard that the philosophy is a little more relaxed on the west coast. Any input?

I worked usually 9am-6pm and I came in every other Saturday usually. I usually averaged around 45-60 hours per week but it went largely unnoticed. I think it was just expected.

Sorry to hear...
Has anyone else heard from UCLA NanoCER yet? Haven't gotten a reply either

You should email them and ask about your status. I emailed them in the afternoon and that evening they sent me my rejection (email).

Anybody hear from UCSD? Any acceptances to any posters here?

Anybody hear from UCSD? Any acceptances to any posters here?

I've heard from Bioengineering (rejection), but nothing from Amgen. Several posts back someone mentioned calling them and being told all their spots have been filled, so I doubt anyone's going to get an acceptance who hasn't already been contacted. I don't think anyone in this thread has been accepted.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard back from the NIH yet?

I got accepted two weeks ago by an investigator in the NCI; if you haven't heard yet, I would find the institute where you want to work and contact as many investigators as you can expressing your interest in their work and why (even though some people manage to score a spot without doing this). It worked for me and my application isn't anything too fancy (good GPA, but no crazy research experience).

Good luck.

I got accepted two weeks ago by an investigator in the NCI; if you haven't heard yet, I would find the institute where you want to work and contact as many investigators as you can expressing your interest in their work and why (even though some people manage to score a spot without doing this). It worked for me and my application isn't anything too fancy (good GPA, but no crazy research experience).

Good luck.

Hmm. I did this by emailing about 25 PIs and only got 4 responses all of which said "Sorry, we are full." I have a 4.0 and a year of research with a publication so I don't know why I am having such a hard time even hearing back from people I email. :confused:

On the plus side, one of my friends dads works at the NIH and I sent him an email. He said he will try to look for open positions for me but they are basically full for this year already because of the tight budget. :thumbdown:

Is anyone familiar with how long the Amgen programs take to tell you the lab you'll be working in (ie, how many weeks after accepting your spot)? It probably differs from university to university; I'm just trying to get an idea.

The Columbia Amgen contact person said that decisions would be out by Monday (today). They aren't.

Has anyone heard back from the NIH yet?

I got accepted 2 weeks ago, i emailed about 25-30 PI's 1/3 of them replied and said they were full, one of them said that he was interested but it's too late to request funding. It depends on the institute your working at, but the latest deadline is around the end of Apirl. I'm actualy a commiunity college student transfering to UCI in the fall, so i applied for the CCSEP/SIP program at the NIH and got accepted, but I also have close to two years of research exp.

Finally got a thin letter :( from Yale Biostep...let's just say it had the words regret to inform, unable to offer, more than 300 applications for 24 positions, appreciate your interest. :p but it's all part of the game...you lose some you win some :). Still waiting on a few decisions :xf:

UMass Med Worcester sent out decisions today. I was accepted.

I didn't really apply. I just asked one of my professors if I could join her Alzheimer's research team and she asked me a few questions and said yes. I know the professor pretty well though and I imagine that that helped.

Stanford Amgen sent there rejection out, today.
And I got Rejected....I wasn't surprise:laugh:!

I didn't get an email from Stanford Amgen today. I guess I'm not rejected yet, but I'm not accepted either. I'm tired of waiting!

Also, I spoke to someone at Stanford Amgen on Monday and they said they would most likely let everyone know by Friday.

Does anybody know whats up with UCSF? Can't get a hold of anybody, haven't heard anything, ...?

Does anybody know whats up with UCSF? Can't get a hold of anybody, haven't heard anything, ...?

I talked with someone today @ UCSF. They said that everyone for sure should know about their acceptances/rejections by this friday. We will all get a letter of some kind.

Yes, Princeton is a pretty cool program =D They do have a wide variety of people to work with, and the campus is amazing!
But, it comes down to: what type of research do you want to do? Where do you eventually want to go to med school? What about family/friends/other commitments? Travel reimbursement? What type of campus? What type of weather? ;-P

If you have specific questions about Princeton, I'd be happy to answer them. Don't know anything about Baylor.

Hey sorry nwilkes, i completely overlooked this comment til now.
i had a question i was a little hesitant to ask the princeton directors but is it possible to study for the mcat while i do this program? is there a lot of free time optional time?

I'm doing the UCSF Amgen this summer. I was wondering when faculty mentors will be assigned. Has anyone been assigned a faculty mentor for the summer yet, UCSF Amgen Scholars?

I'm doing the UCSF Amgen this summer. I was wondering when faculty mentors will be assigned. Has anyone been assigned a faculty mentor for the summer yet, UCSF Amgen Scholars?

I think this varies a lot. The labs can take a while to determine if they have a post-doc or graduate student to mentor you and create project ideas and so forth. I accepted my MIT Amgen spot on the 3rd and I haven't heard back yet, though I'm pretty sure I'll hear something this week or next. They should have started contact labs pretty soon after you accepted your spot.

So there's not really an answer; it just depends on the labs you've requested. You can e-mail the program director and ask what the status is or how long it might take.

Waitlisted at Cornell Travelers. Guess you can't win them all :(