Summer Research Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) - 2009/2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still no reply from Rockefeller... I'm too nervous to e-mail. I really want to go there ahhhh!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey sorry nwilkes, i completely overlooked this comment til now.
i had a question i was a little hesitant to ask the princeton directors but is it possible to study for the mcat while i do this program? is there a lot of free time optional time?

Short answer: yes, it is possible. I've had friends who did it and took an MCAT class in the area.

Longer answer: yes, but it depends on your lab, etc. Princeton offers a GRE prep course at a discounted rate, too - so the program knows you have the time, lol. It also depends on when you want to take the MCAT, if you're doing a prep program, and how much study/background you've already done. You can't study 8 h/day for it!

Free time in general: weekends pretty free (weekend of Friday thru Sunday we got off for the 4th of July) - might have to come in occasionally depending on the nature of the experiment. Generally, everyone is around from 9-5...various people come earlier and/or stay later...of course, grad students are there all the time :laugh: Mainly depends on your PI/postdoc. Trips to NYC/Philly on the weekends, the group got together informally for game nights sometimes, a few birthday parties/weekend parties....

Did anyone apply to Rochester Summer Scholars? If so, have you heard back?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum.

I received a rejection from Columbia Amgen (my top choice) today:

"I regret to inform you that, unfortunately, you have not been selected to participate in the Amgen Scholars Program at Columbia University during the upcoming summer. With only 15 spots to offer and nearly 1000 applications received, we had far, far more outstanding applicants this year than we are able to accommodate."
This is the list of program I applied to and the decisions I received:
MIT Amgen -
Rejected
Howard University Amgen -
No Response yet
Columbia Amgen -
Rejected
UMass Boston REU -
No response yet
UMass Amherst Cellular Engineering REU -
No response yet
Rockefeller University -
Rejected
Albert Einstein College of Medicine -
Accepted!
Carnegie Mellon -
Rejected
John Hopkins NanoBio -
No Response yet

I have to confirm to Albert Einstein whether I will take their offer or not by tomorrow. Has anyone participated or heard positive/negative comments about their program? I will most likely take the offer. was hoping to have heard from UMass Boston by now, I have family in Boston and I was considering going there if I get accepted.

Hey winterwind, when I sent my acceptance e-mail to UCSF I was told that I would be contactd again in 2 weeks with more info.

Still nothing from Stanford Amgen....is anyone else having the same problem?

I guess the Columbia rejections got sent out today...got mine at least

got into JFK Neuroscience Institute for research and got three interviews at SUNY Downstate,Thomas Jefferson Medical College and Drexel. Rejected to two so far, Caltech and Weils Cornell. waiting on others. Best of luck to everybody.

Anyone know if there is any difference between the Columbia Amgen and BioIGERT programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I havent heard anything from Vandy yet (Clincal Research Program). Anyone else heard anything?

which one? the biochem REU is taking a loonnnnnng time cause they're still figuring out their grant and whatnot
Yes, that's the one I was referring to. I really hope they hear soon because I got an offer from elsewhere and have to make a decision soon!

So, if I haven't heard back from UCSF by now, does it mean that I got a silent treatment rejection?

I got an acceptance at CSHL in the 2nd round, I think; I got the e-mail on March 11

I was wondering if anyone knows how competitive this program is compared to others? I applied to a bunch of other stuff but haven't heard back from anywhere except Cold Spring Harbor, but I also had friends tell me CSHL is a really competitive and prestigious program.. wondering if people know how it compares to other places?

Well somebody on this thread said UCSF is sending out final notices for both rejections/acceptances tommorrow (fri) so hopefully there will be a few more acceptances..................

I havent heard anything from Vandy yet (Clincal Research Program). Anyone else heard anything?

When I e-mailed the PD a few weeks ago, she said that the first wave of acceptances had already been sent out. She also said that another round would be sent on the 23rd if people declined to join the program.

...don't worry, I haven't heard a thing either.

Ok so UCSF is has missed at least 2 deadlines for notifying applicants, it is really annoying to be honest...........if you are going to give a date for notification you might as well follow it, otherwise don't put up at all

hey guys, do you know of any programs that have deadlines in april? i'm getting rejections left and right, but i'm not about to give up. it isn't over till its over. :)

Well here's the final list of all the programs I accepted to with the dates and the acceptances/rejections email dates. Hope this is useful to anyone waiting for emails from any of the institutions I listed. I hope everyone got into their top program. I suppose it's safe to assume that all the accepted individuals will have been notified for any internship by now, but there's always next year.
Some great things to do, is revise personal statements, in my case try to finish applications with more time, revise/redo resumes, rethink recommenders and possibly change them if necessary, take courses relevant to proposed research field, consider less competitive programs if you have little to no experience seing as how the majority of applicants to the summer internships that are extremely competitive (NIH, UC-Amgen, Ivy League summer programs, Mayo Clinic, amongst many others), tend to have at least some benchwork experience under their belt, although we all know this is not written in stone.
I wish you all the best and hope to see you all in future threads regarding this topic, and ultimately the Class of 20XX thread, it was a real pleasure everyone, Good Luck :oops:) !!!

I sent applications to the following summer research programs (will update as info. becomes available):
1.Columbia-ACCEPTED, email received March 18th
2.UPenn- SILENT REJECTION ASSUMED, No response as of MARCH 27TH, will update if answer becomes available
3.BioMedRAP-REJECTED, email received March 12th
4.Notre Dame - ACCEPTED email received March 10th
5.Mount Sinai Summer Research Program- ACCEPTED email received March 16th
6.Tufts-SILENT REJECTION ASSUMED, No response as of MARCH 27TH, will update if answer becomes available
7.University of Connecticut Health Center- ACCEPTED, email received March 16th
8.Pittsburg Tissue Engineering Initiative
9.NIH-SILENT REJECTION ASSUMED, No response as of MARCH 27TH, will update if answer becomes available
10.University of Nebraska-Lincoln- REJECTED, email received March 18th
11.University of Michigan-Interdisciplinary REU- ACCEPTED, email received March 25th
12.University of Virginia School of Medicine-SILENT REJECTION ASSUMED, No response as of MARCH 27TH, will update if answer becomes available
13. University of California Los Angeles AMGEN- REJECTED, email received March 10th

Last edited:
Is anyone else here doing MIT Amgen?

Yeah, just wanted to echo everything that AGDoc said. I ended up going 1/6 (rejected at Berkeley cell bio REU, georgetown chemistry REU, hawaii astronomy REU, caltech LIGO reu, smithsonian astrophysics REU; accepted UCSF REU). It is a brutal process, and even though I felt I had a lot going for me I had minimal success (4.0 from an ivy, outstanding recs from professors that I had done research with and published papers with, etc.) My biggest piece of advice is don't get discouraged if you don't get the results you expected, funding is incredibly limited and the selectivity is through the roof. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear from waitlists, and try not to take it too personally if you got a lot of rejections.

Yeah, just wanted to echo everything that AGDoc said. I ended up going 1/6 (rejected at Berkeley cell bio REU, georgetown chemistry REU, hawaii astronomy REU, caltech LIGO reu, smithsonian astrophysics REU; accepted UCSF REU). It is a brutal process, and even though I felt I had a lot going for me I had minimal success (4.0 from an ivy, outstanding recs from professors that I had done research with and published papers with, etc.) My biggest piece of advice is don't get discouraged if you don't get the results you expected, funding is incredibly limited and the selectivity is through the roof. Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear from waitlists, and try not to take it too personally if you got a lot of rejections.

WOW....I am surprised that you got accepted just to one of the 6 programs.....

But it's not all about the GPA and the LOR....
I feel some times that the most important thing is how you present youself on paper, on your essays, and also the motivation behind your application to get a certain schoolarship.....

PS: most of those program are looking for future research, and not future doctor..... so they can spot pre-med student very easily, just by experience.:laugh:lol

I have read through 7 pages and still could not find anybody hearing back from WashU BioMedRAP? I will continue to read. I wish I would've known about this blog sooner, so I wouldn't have to read so much at one time.

I applied to:

Weill-Cornell Travelers Program- ACCEPTED
WashU BioMedRAP - nothing yet
Columbia - nothing yet
Siteman Cancer Center (WashU) - Decisions will be made April 1st (GET HERE ALREADY!)
Mallincrodkt Radiology (WashU) - I think decisions will be made April 1st?

UTMC-Houston - haven't heard anything

I'm assuming silent, rude rejections. I literally turned everything in on deadline date, due to making a 115 pdf file for all the students at my university, so they can become aware of the array of programs available.

I fly up to Washington University tomorrow to shadow. I'm definitely considering emailing the secretary (she is so nice) for a drop by at any or all three programs. Also, I will be at Baylor / Texas Children's shadowing surgery. The chief of surgery is so nice, I figured I would ask for his advice.

Mayo- I was an idiot and did not press the submit button

Another question (sorry, it's like I'm writing a book)... I have only done one summer research. This biomedical research center was in the town I'm located in and I was hired as a student worker. Therefore, we did not have a dress code. Does anyone know about the dress code, Weill-Cornell in particular? I hope to meet some of ya'll!

Good luck to everyone applying!

Last edited:
Accepted: BCM SMART and Princeton Molecular Biology

Rejected: Harvard Stem Cell Institute

No reply: Stanford Amgen, UCSF Amgen, UW Amgen, and Mayo SURF

Im guessing that I am on the waiting list or silently rejected by the programs that have not replied...

But for the meantime, which is better? BCM SMART or Princeton? :confused:
I need to reply to BCM SMART asap!!!

While I can only speak for Baylor, it is truly amazing. TMD is the largest in the country, it is almost en-captivating when you get there (assuming you have never visited). Everyone is so nice and supportive, I loved it. Best of luck!

I'm pretty disappointed in how UCSF handled things this year, didn't somebody say the guy in charge was supposed to be a real standup guy.......? He is pretty unprofessional in my opinion

PREpedsCTS: I have read through 7 pages and still could not find anybody hearing back from WashU BioMedRAP? I will continue to read. I wish I would've known about this blog sooner, so I wouldn't have to read so much at one time.

I heard back from BiomedRap at WashU weeks ago, of course it was a rejection email, but then again I got into an Ivy league program so i can't complain. I'm more than 90% sure that BioMedRap has all their accepted applicants already. Columbia has also sent out acceptance emails, i got mine the 18th of this month, rejections were sent out about a week ago.

I have read through 7 pages and still could not find anybody hearing back from WashU BioMedRAP? I will continue to read. I wish I would've known about this blog sooner, so I wouldn't have to read so much at one time.

I applied to:

Weill-Cornell Travelers Program- ACCEPTED
WashU BioMedRAP - nothing yet
Columbia - nothing yet
Siteman Cancer Center (WashU) - Decisions will be made April 1st (GET HERE ALREADY!)

UTMC-Houston - haven't heard anything

I'm assuming silent, rude rejections. I literally turned everything in on deadline date, due to making a 115 pdf file for all the students at my university, so they can become aware of the array of programs available.

I fly up to Washington University tomorrow to shadow. I'm definitely considering emailing the secretary (she is so nice) for a drop by at any or all three programs. Also, I will be at Baylor / Texas Children's shadowing surgery. The chief of surgery is so nice, I figured I would ask for his advice.

Mayo- I was an idiot and did not press the submit button

Another question (sorry, it's like I'm writing a book)... I have only done one summer research. This biomedical research center was in the town I'm located in and I was hired as a student worker. Therefore, we did not have a dress code. Does anyone know about the dress code, Weill-Cornell in particular? I hope to meet some of ya'll!

Good luck to everyone applying!

This is the email BioMedRap sent me March 12th:
Dear **** ********

I am writing on behalf of the Biomedical Research Apprenticeship Program (BioMedRAP) at Washington University in St. Louis. Thank you for your thoughtful application. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you a position in our 2010 program.

This year, we had many outstanding applicants and there are not enough positions to accommodate everyone deserving of acceptance. Choosing the applicants to accept into the program was a difficult task, and we regret that we were not able to offer you the opportunity to join us this summer.

Please do not let this decision deter you from pursuing a career in biomedical research. We encourage you to seek out a summer lab experience at either your current institution or one that would be appropriate to your interests.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you luck in future academic pursuits. I hope that you will consider Washington University in St. Louis for your graduate or professional training.

Sincerely,

James Skeath, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Genetics &
Faculty Director, Biomedical Research Apprenticeship Program

Rochelle D. Smith, Manager
Diversity Programs and Community Outreach
Division of Biology and Biomedical Sciences
Washington University in St. Louis-School of Medicine
Phone: 314-362-7963
Fax: 314-362-3369=

I just got accepted into UCSF SRTP today. Most other emails went out yesterday. Thoughts on the program?

Hey. I was wondering if anyone else here still hasn't heard anything back from Einstein or Rockefeller? I know some people have been getting acceptances and rejections to these places, but I still haven't heard a thing. Can this possibly mean that I'm on the waitlist? Or maybe they lost my application...:scared:

Did you contact a possible lab and mentor for your Mallincrodkt application?

Still deciding whether 'no news is good news' regarding UCSF. Thoughts?

Still deciding whether 'no news is good news' regarding UCSF. Thoughts?

I dunno. I called the program director and it went straight to voicemail. His message says that as of monday 29th everyone should have recieved an email regarding the status of their application. I don't know if they gave out only the acceptances or both acceptance/rejections? Argh! I just want to know the results so I can move on with my life :(

what do you think... among all the options is the BEST program? Do you think it's at an Ivy like Princeton or Harvard, a major research school like UCSD or Stanford, or an institution like NIH or Cold Harbor?

I dunno. I called the program director and it went straight to voicemail. His message says that as of monday 29th everyone should have recieved an email regarding the status of their application. I don't know if they gave out only the acceptances or both acceptance/rejections? Argh! I just want to know the results so I can move on with my life :(

agreed... I still haven't received an email in spite of the promise on the voicemail

The UCSF website says no later than the 15th, then his voicemail said the 26th, now it says the 29th, ................still nothing.............

Did anyone apply to Rochester Summer Scholars? If so, have you heard back?

I applied and I haven't heard anything.
I emailed the coordinator and haven't gotten a response.
It looks like another person posted on this thread that they were accepted shortly after the application deadline. So.... :/

" Applicants will be notified of their status in March, 2010, with all applicants receiving notification of their admission status by April 15, 2010. Students will be matched with a faculty mentor after they have accepted an offer to participate in the program." - UCSF Amgen Site

....wow, you guys are pre-med / pre-dental and can't read. Our future doctors, with 4.0GPA's, that CAN NOT READ!!! sad.

" Applicants will be notified of their status in March, 2010, with all applicants receiving notification of their admission status by April 15, 2010. Students will be matched with a faculty mentor after they have accepted an offer to participate in the program." - UCSF Amgen Site

....wow, you guys are pre-med / pre-dental and can't read. Our future doctors, with 4.0GPA's, that CAN NOT READ!!! sad.

Which website are you getting this from, because I am on the official SRTP application site where it says......
Your Application Status: Under Review

Thank you for applying to the Summer Research Training Program. We will contact you regarding your status no later that March 15th.

https://graduate.ucsf.edu/application/apply/summer/2010/login.html

Both are on the website. The main website has the April 15th date, the login portion says notification by March 15, the voicemail says emails sent March 29... clearly miscommunication

Flamebaiting...enough said.

Just wanted to put in a word of defense for UCSF. They had to handle over 1000 applications. When I called them a few weeks ago, they said they had sent some acceptances and some rejections. If you haven't heard yet, you are clearly still on some sort of waitlist. First round was sent March 10th, and they had until the 16th to decide. I got in the 18th, and had until the 22nd to decide. I'm sure there was another round of notifications after that, as eventer just got in today. If he turns it down, then they will do another round in a few days or so. I know it's hard to be patient, but hang in there guys :)

Which website are you getting this from, because I am on the official SRTP application site where it says......
Your Application Status: Under Review
It says "under review" regardless of your status. So don't use it as any indicator of anything.

Just wanted to put in a word of defense for UCSF. They had to handle over 1000 applications. When I called them a few weeks ago, they said they had sent some acceptances and some rejections. If you haven't heard yet, you are clearly still on some sort of waitlist. First round was sent March 10th, and they had until the 16th to decide. I got in the 18th, and had until the 22nd to decide. I'm sure there was another round of notifications after that, as eventer just got in today. If he turns it down, then they will do another round in a few days or so. I know it's hard to be patient, but hang in there guys :)

To add to this: keep in mind that UCSF handles several different programs that nearly everyone applies to. It seems like they do Amgen first and possibly move applicants to other programs' pools over time; and there are going to be multiple rounds of acceptance for all of them. Every year they get more and more applicants; I know of one program this year that pushed their acceptance deadline back a week due to the unexpected increase in applicants.