Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also I called Mayo and they said all offers from 1st choice departments will be released by next Friday.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Offer from MD Anderson(Science Park ,Department of Molecular Carcinogenesis )!!!! Ask me to reply in 72 hours tho(which will be a Sunday.........)
Anyone have ideas about Smithville, TX/How tough Texas summer would be?

DUDE! congrats! I'm also applying to MD-anderson (CPRIT). Also, is really hot during the summer, but lots of fun nonetheless/

I got into the UMichigan Cardio SURF (yay!), last Friday but they never specified a date that I should accept by. And they just sent me a second notice asking me to respond asap.... Anyone know generally how much longer I can hold off from responding before they get pissed off/assume I wont be taking it

I am super excited about this program, but i really want to hear back from other programs (couple top choices that I would probably go to if I got into) but I also don't want to push the limit on giving them a response.

I don't want to risk losing this opportunity, HELP PLEASE!!!!!:help:

I got into the UMichigan Cardio SURF (yay!), last Friday but they never specified a date that I should accept by. And they just sent me a second notice asking me to respond asap.... Anyone know generally how much longer I can hold off from responding before they get pissed off/assume I wont be taking it

I am super excited about this program, but i really want to hear back from other programs (couple top choices that I would probably go to if I got into) but I also don't want to push the limit on giving them a response.

I don't want to risk losing this opportunity, HELP PLEASE!!!!!:help:

I would recommend contacting the other places you are really interested in to ask for an update on the status of your application due to the fact that you have another offer whose deadline is fast approaching. I did this and the next day I got acceptances from multiple places which were my top choices.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

Has anyone heard from Sloan Kettering, Mount Sinai, or Princeton molecular and Quantitative & Computational Biololgy?
Thanks

Got accepted to Baylor SMART today. Is Baylor > MD Anderson program wise? Still waiting to hear back from Wash U, Cincinnati and UTSW. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

Has anyone heard from Sloan Kettering, Mount Sinai, or Princeton molecular and Quantitative & Computational Biololgy?
Thanks
Applied to Sloan but have not heard anything yet from them. Looking at last year's forum they sent out rejections in batches on 2/26. Don't really know what that means as far as my chances

Got accepted to Baylor SMART today. Is Baylor > MD Anderson program wise? Still waiting to hear back from Wash U, Cincinnati and UTSW. Thoughts?
Congrats on the acceptance. I unfortunately received a rejection today. Have heard from previous posters that they really enjoyed Baylor's program have not heard as much about MD Anderson but if you are planning on cancer biomedical research in the future MD Anderson would be an awesome experience. Both programs are competitive and you will have a great experience either way.

Anyone heard anything from the Amgen Programs? I applied to UCB, WashU, Stanford, and Columbia.

Just got rejected from UCB. 22 spots for 1,103 applicants so I guess I'm not alone.

Congrats on the acceptance. I unfortunately received a rejection today. Have heard from previous posters that they really enjoyed Baylor's program have not heard as much about MD Anderson but if you are planning on cancer biomedical research in the future MD Anderson would be an awesome experience. Both programs are competitive and you will have a great experience either way.
Also got rejected :( Still waiting on MD-anderson and leadership alliance so there's still hope!

I'm still waiting on Mayo, Cincinnati and MD-Anderson CPRTP

One person in this thread has been accepted so far. Acceptances/Rejections should be released tomorrow.

Did they say this in an e-mail? I couldn't find that acceptance/rejections should be released tomorrow on their website. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Got rejection by sloan kettering. Totally expected it from the moment submitted application~

Just received a rejection from Sloan as well.

Are there any summer research programs still taking applications?

Rejected at Sloan.

Not in the mood at all.

Are there any summer research programs still taking applications?
I am curious as well. I am really tempted to fill out some more apps if there are programs with mid march/end of march deadlines since I have gone 0/4 up to this point.

Anyone heard back from the Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy? I cannot find on their website when the program is supposed to notify applicants.

Haven't been on this thread for a while, but figured I post an update.

Got an acceptance to Baylor SMART this morning! but also a rejection from SK about an hour ago. still waiting on Mayo, Rockefeller, Penn, and UTSW.

Last edited:
Haven't been on this thread on a while, but figured I post an update.

Got an acceptance to Baylor SMART this morning! but also a rejection from SK about an hour ago. still waiting on Mayo, Rockefeller, Penn, and UTSW.
Congrats on the Baylor acceptance. I'm still waiting on UPenn as well. I believe a previous poster received an acceptance last Saturday (odd I know) keeping my fingers crossed.

Has anyone heard anything from Columbia Amgen? Looking back at last year's thread, it appears that, by this time, several had heard from Columbia PIs interested in working with them.

Congrats on the Baylor acceptance. I'm still waiting on UPenn as well. I believe a previous poster received an acceptance last Saturday (odd I know) keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks, best of luck on Penn! Hopefully you get good news soon. Did you apply through Leadership Alliance or straight through SUIP? The way I understand it, for most programs decisions are made in batches--as people decline, more spots open up and then they offer more acceptances to the next people on the waitlist.

Hi everyone! I remember how much I checked this thread when I was applying the last couple of years. Thought I'd share my stats and where I was accepted to--just FYI :)

Female non-minority
Unranked uni
Research experience: paid research since high school, multiple poster presentations
Extracurriculars: decent nonprofit science outreach leadership (started in sophomore year), finalist for national scholarship (junior)
Personal statement: I took a lot of liberties with creativity, it turned out nicely.
Letters of rec: 1st cycle: from a lecturer and home research advisor, 2nd cycle: from my previous summer mentor and home research advisor

Summer 1 (pre-Junior)
Applied to: Mayo SURF, UCSF Amgen, Mount Sinai SURP, Emory
Accepted to: Mayo SURF (within 2 weeks), Mount Sinai SURP (within 2 weeks). Withdrew from Emory and rejected from UCSF.

Summer 2 (pre-Senior)
Applied to: Mayo SURF, Mount Sinai SURP, Stanford Amgen, WashU Amgen, UCSD Amgen, UNC Chapel Hill, NYU Neuro, UC Berkeley (non-Amgen).
Accepted to: WashU Amgen (after 5 weeks) and UCSD Amgen (after 6 weeks), rejected from everywhere else.

From both summers I learned that the kids who get accepted are all very different--don't worry about taking the 'right path', rather just focus on conveying your passion for science in your applications. And it helps to convey your interest in the program by following up with the director/assistant to check up on your application, as long as you do so respectfully and with specific questions. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Called Mayo and UCB Amgens for updates on the status of my applications. Mayo said my application wasn't under active review (so basically rejected) and UCB said that my application passed the first round of review (but there are many rounds so not much to celebrate yet). UCB also said that the later you hear back from them, the farther your application got through the review process and all decisions should be sent out by the end of March.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone heard back from the Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy? I cannot find on their website when the program is supposed to notify applicants.
Nope, I haven't heard anything back yet either

Thanks, best of luck on Penn! Hopefully you get good news soon. Did you apply through Leadership Alliance or straight through SUIP? The way I understand it, for most programs decisions are made in batches--as people decline, more spots open up and then they offer more acceptances to the next people on the waitlist.
SUIP. I have tried to email the program regarding my app status but have not gotten a reply. Perhaps it's time to give them a call.

Has anyone heard anything from Columbia Amgen? Looking back at last year's thread, it appears that, by this time, several had heard from Columbia PIs interested in working with them.
Haven't heard anything back yet. And I have not gotten an email from an interested PI. On their site it says that even if you get an email from a PI it does not mean that you were accepted to the program. But what I would like to know is if there have been any accepted applicants that were not contacted by a PI.

For those asking if programs have sent anything yet, here are the ones who have sent me acceptance emails thus far:

UM-SMART
Mt. Sinai SURP
UPenn SUIP
Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy
Baylor SMART

For those asking if programs have sent anything yet, here are the ones who have sent me acceptance emails thus far:

UM-SMART
Mt. Sinai SURP
UPenn SUIP
Vanderbilt Summer Science Academy
Baylor SMART
When did you hear from Vandy and UPenn SUIP? And if you can remember, when did you submit your application.

Got an email yesterday telling me that I was accepted at Sloan Kettering SURP but I already accepted Rockefeller SURF

I wonder when JHU SIP will send out news today.

When did you hear from Vandy and UPenn SUIP? And if you can remember, when did you submit your application.

Vandy was 2 days ago,
UPenn last Saturday.

Also I submitted almost all my apps the day they were due. Unless it explicitly says rolling basis, don't worry about when you turned it in.

Vandy was 2 days ago,
UPenn last Saturday.

Also I submitted almost all my apps the day they were due. Unless it explicitly says rolling basis, don't worry about when you turned it in.

Dang... Congrats! What are your stats like if you don't mind me asking...