Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected by MIT Amgen and accepted by HST Biomedical Informatics between 9 and 10 AM PT through email today.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
MIT Amgen did say they had over 1000 applicants...

Lol I'm not even that upset over Amgen, considering the number of applicants. The BD2K program appears to be more relevant to my interests anyway since there was no guarantee which lab I would end up in via Amgen.

how did you hear for amgen?

Both by email in the interval of time specified.

i didn't get any notification from MIT Amgen yet...

I haven't heard anything from JHU either...is it safe to assume rejection? Also is anyone else waiting on Brandeis or UCSF?

hi guys, did everyone get responses from Mayo who applied ? i just checked online and i have no responses or any indication of anything, anywhere. anyone else in the same boat?

hi guys, did everyone get responses from Mayo who applied ? i just checked online and i have no responses or any indication of anything, anywhere. anyone else in the same boat?
I applied to Immunology in Rochester and haven't heard anything back

Just rejected from cold spring harbor - just to let people know they're active.

Same here no acceptance email or any decision posted on my application. They didn't post rejection till like mid march last year though. I'm patiently waiting/assuming that Mayo still doesn't want me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything from JHU either...is it safe to assume rejection? Also is anyone else waiting on Brandeis or UCSF?
I don't think so, considering they sent out rejections. I'm actually hoping that means acceptance, maybe it's taking a while for them to pair us with a mentor. Hey, I'm just hoping here, that might not be the case at all lol

Reactions: 1 users
What does it mean when I haven't gotten either rejected or accepted to any of my Leadership Alliance Programs? Still waiting on Tuft, NYU, and Howard University.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been following this thread for awhile now, but I haven't received any emails yet! D:

I've applied to:
Colorado State REU
University of Michigan REU
Boston University SURF
University of Notre Dame REU
University of Iowa microbiology REU
University of Wisconsin-Madison (IBS-SRP)
University of North Carolina Chapel Hill SURE

Is it normal not to hear anything back yet?

Contacted Columbia Amgen and Leadership Alliance today and no one picked up..... Still waiting....

UCB Amgen just emailed me, said they'd have notices out by the 4th. UCSF emailed be back yesterday saying they're starting to send out notices tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users
People that got accepted to Mayo, where are you guys planning to live? I know people that said that 318 Commons is insanely better than Kahler, but its also like hella expensive...

I've been following this thread for awhile now, but I haven't received any emails yet! D:

I've applied to:
Colorado State REU
Boston University SURF

If you're starting to panic, you should e-mail those programs and ask. I only applied to Boston Uni SURF and haven't heard back from them yet. There's no "normal" time frame, each program and site is different.

What does it mean when I haven't gotten either rejected or accepted to any of my Leadership Alliance Programs? Still waiting on Tuft, NYU, and Howard University.
Last summer, I didn't hear from Tufts until April.

The Leadership Alliance website is pretty good at listing when people can expect to hear back from certain programs. Most schools don't get back to people until mid-March, so try not to worry too much.

I've applied to:
Colorado State REU
Boston University SURF

I heard Colorado State and U Iowa have already sent out their first acceptances. Some accepted students declined positions, so sometime this week, they will be sending more acceptances. I am also waiting to hear from U Michigan and UNC Chapel Hill as well!

I heard Colorado State and U Iowa have already sent out their first acceptances. Some accepted students declined positions, so sometime this week, they will be sending more acceptances. I am also waiting to hear from U Michigan and UNC Chapel Hill as well!

Ah great :) I sent an email to Colorado State about a week ago, but they haven't replied. Did you apply to the REU from the pharmacy dept for U Michigan?

Anyone heard from Penn Leadership alliance?
I think some people got rejected already--if your portal isn't updated, maybe they're waiting to see how many actually accept?

I'm waiting on my Leadership Alliance schools (Harvard, Yale, NYU), several CICs, UNC, UC Berkeley, and Columbia (LA). I called Columbia and no one picked up.

The PIs send emails directly if you are accepted, so it depends on how quickly their labs go through applications!

UCB Amgen just emailed me, said they'd have notices out by the 4th. UCSF emailed be back yesterday saying they're starting to send out notices tomorrow.
I applied to UCB but never got that email. Maybe they only sent it to people they are still considering?

they could just be late with their notifications

I applied to UCB but never got that email. Maybe they only sent it to people they are still considering?
Sorry, I should have specified that I emailed both of those program's specifically to ask them when they were releasing notifications and these were their replies.

Rejected by MIT Amgen today, but accepted a preliminary offer from Columbia Amgen last week. They gave me until today to respond so I think they're going to be waiting to see how many people take the preliminary offers before making official decisions. I asked when they should be releasing notifications and they responded no later than March 9th.

Also, does anyone know anything about preliminary offers? On the site it says it in no way means an official acceptance, but I was wondering if I should be getting my hopes up.. :c

Just got accepted to U of Missouri!! Glad to know I have somewhere to go this summer! So far I've had 1 rejection and 1 acceptance, 1 finalist, and ~9-12 pending.

I just got accepted into Emory's SURE program! I'm waiting to accept to hear back from UCB and the Pastuer Institute though.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Here are the programs I've applied to and the current status:

MIT Amgen - rejected
WashingtonU Amgen - finalist

I have not heard anything from:
UCB Amgen
UCSF Amgen
CSU REU
Nebraska REU
Notre Dame REU

Anyone know the context of "finalist"? is that really "waitlist"?

Good luck to everyone! Deep breaths over the next few days!

Hi everyone!

MIT Amgen - rejected

UCB Amgen
UCSF Amgen
CSU REU
Nebraska REU
Notre Dame REU

Ughh the word "finalist"... They're playing with our hopes! T^T

Anyone heard from the Vanderbilt Undergraduate Clinical Research Internship?

Hi everyone!

MIT Amgen - rejected

UCB Amgen
UCSF Amgen
CSU REU
Nebraska REU
Notre Dame REU

When did you get the finalist email? I got one on fridaya nd according to them I'm supposed to get a definite answer by today but nothing so far.

When did you get the finalist email? I got one on fridaya nd according to them I'm supposed to get a definite answer by today but nothing so far.

I got the same email on Friday, as well. Let's hope for the best!

I also received a finalist e-mail Friday night for WashU. Hopefully they send out the results soon? Did anyone apply to CRISSP at Chop?

I also received a finalist e-mail Friday night for WashU. Hopefully they send out the results soon? Did anyone apply to CRISSP at Chop?

I applied to CRISSP as well, but I didn't put so much effort into the application because it's really sort of a last resort for me, so I don't know how that will go.

Seems like WashU has been most active in waitlisting/accepting people. Hopefully we hear more soon.

Hopefully. Has anyone received an acceptance yet? I looked through the thread, but I didn't notice any acceptances...

I applied there! Haven't heard anything back yet though. I also applied to Caltech Amgen, UIowa Micro REU, WVU SURI, NIH Amgen, CDC/ORISE, and Nemours.