Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What? What is up with all these people hearing from Sinai SURP?! I called them the other day and they said they wouldn't be sending decisions until next week!

Members don't see this ad.

What? What is up with all these people hearing from Sinai SURP?! I called them the other day and they said they wouldn't be sending decisions until next week!

You are not alone my friend, i haven't heard anything from sinia about mine either:confused:

I contacted the administration director via email and she says "The committee on admission will review the remaining 70 applications on Wednesday.". They are so slow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who has gotten into programs!

I got accepted into the UCSF Amgen Scholars Program on March 12th and confirmed to go there. Are there any other people here who I'll see either in San Fran or at the symposium? :)

Heard via email. I did ask for an expedited response since I had to respond to another offer.. they may have sent just mine early. I am not sure though.

I still haven't heard back from UW Amgen.....Do they just send out rejections all at once? After they fill all their spots?:confused:

Has anyone heard back from SHURP?..they told us that the decision were coming out this tuesday?...and do you know how make student does SHURP takes every year?

Has anyone heard back from SHURP?..they told us that the decision were coming out this tuesday?...and do you know how make student does SHURP takes every year?

I haven't heard back from them either. To be fair though, they said accepted students will be notified Tuesday.

Yeah I haven't heard anything either.

Hey guys, just too keep things rolliing i got accepted to UC Irvine SURF....kind of sucks since I already accepted UTSW SURF..

Still waiting on word from Baylor... :xf:

I hope they tell us tomorrow :( :luck::luck:

If they reject me, I think I'm going to apply to a summer study away program.

I figure that if the rest of the programs are taking this long, I'm probably rejected from most/all.

hey guys! did anyone hear back from either suny buffalos SURE or upitt SURP program?

Members don't see this ad :)
jesus im on SO many waiting lists its annoying. called the UVA SRIP program and here are the stats for someone who's keeping track:

670 applicants for 30 spots. they'll let everyone known next week who's on the waiting list

only 12 people were accepted in this program out of 700. So the acceptance rate of this program is 1.7%

only 12 people were accepted in this program out of 700. So the acceptance rate of this program is 1.7%
Thanks!

Organized by acceptance rate:

Johns Hopkins Nanobiotech REU
: 12 positions / 700 applicants = 1.7% acceptance rate
NYU Sackler SURP: 30 positions + 20 alternates / ~1250 applicants = 2.4% acceptance rate (4% including alternates)
Columbia Amgen: ≤ 30 positions / 1000+ applicants = ≤ 3% acceptance rate
Penn State (Hershey) SURIP: 15 positions / 393 applicants = 3.8% acceptance rate
UW Amgen: ~26 positions / 560 applicants = 4.6% acceptance rate
Mt. Sinai SURP: 13-25 positions / 400-453 applicants = 2.9-6.3% acceptance rate
Johns Hopkins SIP (all divisions): 85 positions / 1146 applicants = 7.4% acceptance rate
Yale BioSTEP: 24 positions / ~300 applicants = 8% acceptance rate
UTSW SURF: 85 positions + ~150 alternates / 1000+ applicants = ≤ 8.5% acceptance rate (≤ 23.5% including alternates)
Mayo SURF: 120 positions / 1135 applicants = 10.6% acceptance rate

Incomplete Data:

URochester SURF: 10-12 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate
Baylor SMART: ~70 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted to the Baylor SMART Program!!! :soexcited:

Hear anything yet gabadaba?

CONGRATS! I can totally see you doing that dance btw :)

Nothing yet from Baylor. :xf: Denied from SURF at Cincinnati Children's Hospital though. 50 accepted out of more than 1000.

Oh well. I'm making kale chips. Kale keeps the hope alive, man :) lol

I was accepted at an NIH SIP Lab which is awesome because I applied a week before the deadline and wasn't expecting anything!

Congrats to everyone who's going to be in a lab this summer!

Magnifique!!!

CONGRATS! I can totally see you doing that dance btw :)

Nothing yet from Baylor. :xf: Denied from SURF at Cincinnati Children's Hospital though. 50 accepted out of more than 1000.

Oh well. I'm making kale chips. Kale keeps the hope alive, man :) lol
Thanks guys! :) And gaba, I may have received mine today because I asked for an expedited decision (my deadline for my instate SURF is tomorrow) so keep those fingers crossed!

Thanks for the Cinci data; I went a head and combed through last year's thread to get older data as well.

Organized by acceptance rate:

Summer 2012 Data:

NYU Sackler SURP: 30 positions + 20 alternates / ~1250 applicants = 2.4% acceptance rate (4% including alternates)
Penn State (Hershey) SURIP: 15 positions / 393 applicants = 3.8% acceptance rate
Cincinnati Children's SURF: 50 positions / 1000+ applicants = ≤ 5% acceptance rate
Johns Hopkins SIP (all divisions): 85 positions / 1146 applicants = 7.4% acceptance rate
UTSW SURF: 85 positions + ~150 alternates / 1000+ applicants = ≤ 8.5% acceptance rate (≤ 23.5% including alternates)

Incomplete 2012 Data:

Summer 2011 Data:

Vandy UCRIP: 14 positions / 700 applicants = 2% acceptance rate
UCSD NSF REU: 10 positions / 400+ applicants = ≤ 2.5% acceptance rate
Mt. Sinai SURP: 13 positions / 400+ applicants = ≤ 3.25% acceptance rate
BU SURF: 20 positions / 500+ applicants = ≤ 4% acceptance rate
UMD/FDA Mol./Cell Bioeng. REU: 10 positions / 250+ applicants = ≤ 4% acceptance rate
UVA SRIP: 30 positions / 400+ applicants = 7.5% acceptance rate

Incomplete 2011 Data:

Columbia NYSTEM: 70-79 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate
St. Jude POE: ~12 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate

Data for the University of Vermont Summer Neuroscience Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SNURF): ~200 applicants / > 5% acceptance, so about 10 spots.

Data for the University of Vermont Summer Neuroscience Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SNURF): ~200 applicants / > 5% acceptance, so about 10 spots.
Thanks!

Summer 2012 Data:

Cincinnati Children's SURF: 50 positions / 1000+ applicants = ≤ 5% acceptance rate
UV SNURF: ~10 positions / 200 applicants = > 5% acceptance rate

Incomplete 2012 Data:

Summer 2011 Data:

UCSD NSF REU: 10 positions / 400+ applicants = ≤ 2.5% acceptance rate
Mt. Sinai SURP: 13 positions / 400+ applicants = ≤ 3.25% acceptance rate
BU SURF: 20 positions / 500+ applicants = ≤ 4% acceptance rate
UMD/FDA Mol./Cell Bioeng. REU: 10 positions / 250+ applicants = ≤ 4% acceptance rate

Incomplete 2011 Data:

I would like to point out that his advice is specific to NSF REU programs and not necessarily applicable to the SURF/SURP/SIP/etc.-type programs that most of us apply to here. Many REU sites are smaller operations that get fewer applicants and thus his logic of "only apply to two because your application will be better and you'll get in" doesn't work for programs with single digit acceptance rates. Some programs (Stanford Amgen comes to mind) also explicitly forbid applicants from contacting PI's ahead of time. Just a few thoughts.

Agree with ^^^guy's disclaimer to the link at the bottom. Also, no matter how "fit" you feel the program is for you, apply to more than just 2. It's a matter of luck as well. They receive thousands of applications.

I will also post a very constructive rejection letter I got from a summer program.
I won't list who it is. And if you do know who it is, I can only ask that you don't post it publicly. I'd rather value their privacy than not.

"....
Several criteria were used in reviewing applications to this program. These criteria are briefly explained below, in order of relative significance:

1. Personal statement: Did the applicant submit a compelling and clearly written indication of how the XOXOXO summer program could help the student reach his/her goals of pursuing graduate training in biomedical research? Special consideration was given to students whose current academic environment limits relevant undergraduate research opportunities, and whose research interests are represented by our XOXOXO training faculty.

2. Academic preparedness: Does the applicant have uniformly excellent grades in at least 2 or 3 relevant upper-level courses, chemistry, biology, physics, computer science, and/or mathematics)?

3. Recommendation letters: Is the student's application supported by letters of recommendation from professors or academic advisors who know the applicant well enough to comment positively on his/her motivation, drive, and ability to pursue a research career?

........."

Just got rejected from columbia amgen. Here are the update stats: Columbia Amgen: 17 positions / >900 applicants = <1.9% acceptance rate

who are these people!?

Summer 2012 Data:

Columbia Amgen: 17 positions / >900 applicants = <1.9% acceptance rate
Cincinnati Children's SURF: 50 positions / 1000+ applicants = &#8804; 5% acceptance rate
UTSW SURF: 85 positions + ~150 alternates / 1000+ applicants = &#8804; 8.5% acceptance rate (&#8804; 23.5% including alternates)

Incomplete 2012 Data:

Summer 2011 Data:

UCSD NSF REU: 10 positions / 400+ applicants = &#8804; 2.5% acceptance rate
Mt. Sinai SURP: 13 positions / 400+ applicants = &#8804; 3.25% acceptance rate
BU SURF: 20 positions / 500+ applicants = &#8804; 4% acceptance rate
UMD/FDA Mol./Cell Bioeng. REU: 10 positions / 250+ applicants = &#8804; 4% acceptance rate

Incomplete 2011 Data:

got into NYU CNS REU! Said they are accepting 10 people out of around 300 applicants :)

Accepted at UC San Diego REU in Regenerative Medicine/ Multi-Scale Bioengineering!!!:soexcited::soexcited: One of my top choices! :thumbup:

For gettheleadout, here are the stats: 10 positions / 450+ applicants = < 2.2%
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

Just got rejected from columbia amgen.
Same.
got into NYU CNS REU! Said they are accepting 10 people out of around 300 applicants :)

Accepted at UC San Diego REU in Regenerative Medicine/ Multi-Scale Bioengineering!!!:soexcited::soexcited: One of my top choices! :thumbup:

For gettheleadout, here are the stats: 10 positions / 450+ applicants = < 2.2%
Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!
Congrats you two! :claps:

Summer 2012 Data:

Columbia Amgen: 17 positions / 900+ applicants = &#8804; 1.9% acceptance rate
UCSD Regen./M.S. BioE. REU: 10 positions / 450+ applicants = &#8804; 2.2% acceptance rate
NYU CNS REU: 10 positions / ~300 applicants = ~ 3% acceptance rate
Cincinnati Children's SURF: 50 positions / 1000+ applicants = &#8804; 5% acceptance rate
UTSW SURF: 85 positions + ~150 alternates / 1000+ applicants = &#8804; 8.5% acceptance rate (&#8804; 23.5% including alternates)

Incomplete 2012 Data:

Summer 2011 Data:

UCSD NSF REU: 10 positions / 400+ applicants = &#8804; 2.5% acceptance rate
Mt. Sinai SURP: 13 positions / 400+ applicants = &#8804; 3.25% acceptance rate
BU SURF: 20 positions / 500+ applicants = &#8804; 4% acceptance rate
UMD/FDA Mol./Cell Bioeng. REU: 10 positions / 250+ applicants = &#8804; 4% acceptance rate

Incomplete 2011 Data:

How did you find out? My application is still "under review" does that mean a silent rejection?

I got an email this morning :(. You might still be in the running though. Good luck!

"Unfortunately, you have not been selected to participate in the 2012 Amgen Scholars Program at Columbia University. The competition was very fierce with over 900 applicants for 17 spot. If eligible, please feel free to apply again next year."

I still haven't heard back from UCSF Amgen and my app is still "under review", but I know several people who already received rejection letters. That makes me think I'm still in the running. Do you think it's a good idea to email/call the program to indicate I'm still interested and that their my top choice?

P.S. All this waiting is driving me insanely crazy! I need to plan my summer soon!

I still haven't heard back from UCSF Amgen and my app is still "under review", but I know several people who already received rejection letters. That makes me think I'm still in the running. Do you think it's a good idea to email/call the program to indicate I'm still interested and that their my top choice?
I'd do it!

Stowers!!!!! is anyone else headed to Missouri this summer? =)

Last edited:
I would be inclined to choose b/w HSCI and Cornell MD/PhD.

I would say UCSF Amgen is the most impressive. Not sure about competitive though.